Format question


RPG Superstar™ 2008 General Discussion

Scarab Sages

Please make sure I am understanding this correctly.

d20srd.org wrote:

Amulet of Health

This amulet is a golden disk on a chain. It usually bears the image of a lion or other powerful animal. The amulet grants the wearer an enhancement bonus to Constitution of +2, +4, or +6.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, bear’s endurance; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

Is this the format to use for the contest?

Name/Title
Description/Flavor
Building requirements

Do the building requirements count against the 200 word limit?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

That seems like a fair way to describe the format, sure.

And EVERYTHING counts towards the limit.

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

A couple notes about format, since the entry submission page isn't perfectly clear:

Don't include your name in your entry -- the judges' view of these is supposed to be anonymous for each round.

Use the name of your wondrous item for the "subject" -- don't put "RPG Superstar Entry" or "RPG Superstar Wondrous item" as a couple of folks have already done.


Vic Wertz wrote:

That seems like a fair way to describe the format, sure.

And EVERYTHING counts towards the limit.

Does the EVERYTHING count towards the subject line too?

I'd hate to be at 202 words and summarily disqualified because of that ;-)


Gary Teter wrote:

A couple notes about format, since the entry submission page isn't perfectly clear:

Don't include your name in your entry -- the judges' view of these is supposed to be anonymous for each round.

Use the name of your wondrous item for the "subject" -- don't put "RPG Superstar Entry" or "RPG Superstar Wondrous item" as a couple of folks have already done.

Yes, Gary, I did just that. *And* I put my name in the subject line (but not the body). Should I resubmit, or what? I don't want to submit a second time and get disqualified, but I don't want to have submitted improperly and get disqualified. What's a prospective RPG Superstar to do?!?

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

I'm cleaning up the entries posted so far, but after that it'll probably be grounds for rejection.

Oh, and you really, really only get one entry -- the entry tool won't let you try again. So make your entry as perfect as you can!


Gary Teter wrote:

I'm cleaning up the entries posted so far, but after that it'll probably be grounds for rejection.

Oh, and you really, really only get one entry -- the entry tool won't let you try again. So make your entry as perfect as you can!

Thanks much, Gary. You're already a Superstar!


Gary, I'm sorry I _just_ submitted mine with the Item Name in the Subject AND in the Body. Then I just saw this. If there's any way you could delete the subject and make the item name in the body the new subject for me, I would be eternally grateful.


Gary, my appologies as well. I just broke both your rules. Sorry about that.

Mark Charke

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

No problem, I just fixed your entry. When I get a chance I'll update the FAQ.


Aww shucks!! I submitted mine under the subject [SUBMISSION]Item Name, before I read this thread. Any chance that it was still accepted?

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

I'm still scrubbing entries since there aren't any guidelines on the entry submission page itself. If I get around to adding some more instructions to that page I'll stop scrubbing because at that point it would be a clear failure to read and follow instructions.


SWIZ!

Contributor

Another formatting question...

It sounds like the submissions are message board posts? If so, we'll need to use proper message board tags to format stuff like italics? Is it like any other message board post (including a "preview" button)?

Or is the submission process not a boards post, and I can just upload my Word doc?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Zherog wrote:

Another formatting question...

It sounds like the submissions are message board posts? If so, we'll need to use proper message board tags to format stuff like italics? Is it like any other message board post (including a "preview" button)?

Or is the submission process not a boards post, and I can just upload my Word doc?

It's like a messageboard post, complete with a preview. (However, unlike other posts, you don't get to change the title during the preview, and once you submit it, you won't get to see or edit it again.)

The judges won't reject your submission solely because you didn't use BBCode tags, but using them will improve the readability of your entry, and show that you know to italicize things that are supposed to be italicized. And those things couldn't hurt.

Sovereign Court

Vic Wertz wrote:


The judges won't reject your submission solely because you didn't use BBCode tags, but using them will improve the readability of your entry, and show that you know to italicize things that are supposed to be italicized. And those things couldn't hurt.

Well, crumbs. I do know that you're supposed to italicize spells, and bold categories, but I thought no fancy code would be a plus in terms of portability for the judges.

Thankfully, it's not an instant rejection, but it's certainly a bummer.


are we requred to list all the math and such we used to design our items? or just the finished product how it would appear in the book?

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32 , Dedicated Voter Season 6 aka Eyebite

cappadocius wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:


The judges won't reject your submission solely because you didn't use BBCode tags, but using them will improve the readability of your entry, and show that you know to italicize things that are supposed to be italicized. And those things couldn't hurt.

Well, crumbs. I do know that you're supposed to italicize spells, and bold categories, but I thought no fancy code would be a plus in terms of portability for the judges.

Thankfully, it's not an instant rejection, but it's certainly a bummer.

Ah crap. This is why I just need to stop looking at these boards until the winners are announced. I didn't use the BBCode to italicize the name of the spell used to create the item. It was italicized on my word processor, just not my entry.

F@$+.

Liberty's Edge Star Voter Season 7, Star Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9

Eyebite wrote:

Ah crap. This is why I just need to stop looking at these boards until the winners are announced. I didn't use the BBCode to italicize the name of the spell used to create the item. It was italicized on my word processor, just not my entry.

QFT

Legendary Games, Necromancer Games

Lack of italics on a spell name arent going to disqualify you. We're not that evil. :) We realize this is an internet submission contest. Just like I would never type anything in Courier without a gun put to my head.

Clark

Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Clouds Without Water

Gary Teter wrote:

A couple notes about format, since the entry submission page isn't perfectly clear:

Don't include your name in your entry -- the judges' view of these is supposed to be anonymous for each round.

Use the name of your wondrous item for the "subject" -- don't put "RPG Superstar Entry" or "RPG Superstar Wondrous item" as a couple of folks have already done.

Hmm. I think I might have screwed up, I only put the item name in the subject line and not in the body. Reading this again, I still don't know if I'm right or wrong that way. Ah well, it's been fun thinking about my item the last couple of weeks no matter what.

Liberty's Edge

I looked for the answer to this question in the rules all night long last night before I submitted. I didn't notice this thread, either, when I looked in here - duh.

That's what I get for trying to cram something in at 2am when I should be sleeping. :P

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Rod Ramsey wrote:
Hmm. I think I might have screwed up, I only put the item name in the subject line and not in the body. Reading this again, I still don't know if I'm right or wrong that way. Ah well, it's been fun thinking about my item the last couple of weeks no matter what.

Because we didn't make it clear on the submission page, we won't reject anybody for the subject line situation. In fact, Gary adjusted any inappropriate subject lines, so the judges won't even know there was anything awry.

Should we do this again, we'll make it more clear, and then hold people to following instructions.

Scarab Sages

NecroticBanana wrote:
are we requred to list all the math and such we used to design our items? or just the finished product how it would appear in the book?

I did, but only because I used some use-restrictions to get a discount, and thought it wouldn't be intuitively obvious to a reader.

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / Previous Contests / RPG Superstar™ 2008 / General Discussion / Format question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion
Losing items