Campaign Classics Ideas for Dragon's Online Version (4th Edition)


4th Edition


Given that there is a very distinct and specific feel for D&D 4th edition, and given that it is indeed the same game, I think Dragon would be a great place to revisit some of the old campaign settings and give them a proper 4th edition makeover. Its clear that one of the goals of 4th edition is to make sure that barriers to the popularity of a setting are addressed, so we need to make sure that contentious canon is reworked. Its also clear that if its good enough to be in D&D in every setting, its good enough to be in D&D in every setting, so we need to address this as well.

Greyhawk: The grandfather of them all. Why would anyone not want to play here? Well, it can't be a matter of subtle personal taste. So I think its only logical to find some of the things at the core of Greyhawk that might be divisive. Plus, its clear that while the dungeons are great, they take way too much time to explore. No one wants to leave a dungeon and come back, and I've been informed lately that it makes no sense either.

What could we do to Greyhawk to shake things up? Why, have Tharizdun finally escape! One of the first think Tharizdun does is to turn all of the old dungeons upside down, so that they are now huge obelisks in tribute to him. This gets rid of some of those old dungeons that don't fit the current scheme of things.

Tharizdun's physical body begins to form in some evil country (we'll have him take over Iuz's domain). So now there is one big monolithic evil for good to strive against in Greyhawk, which makes everyone feel good because they can all pull together now. Plus it means that all those evil dragons, orcs, and what have you have one big boss.

Plus, Tharizdun should be powerful enough that we can use his return as an excuse to rewrite history to the beginning of time. Maybe the succubi hiding in the abyss were really his agents and helped him come back. Yeah . . . it'll be great. Of course, its hard to figure out whey we call it Greyhawk if the city is gone . . . wait, we can make that the place where Tharizdun reentered the world.

DragonLance: We all know that the Knights of Solomnia bother a lot of people, and so do kender, gnomes, and even the gods of Krynn. Its clear that the gods are too restrictive, and we can work with the other two as well.

So first, we have some curious kender open some kind of pandora's box that lets some kind of mists from some plane that has never touched Krynn before seep in and corrupt all kender into kender vampires. And then some piece of the Greystone of Gargath manages to float around the world and mutates tinker gnomes into tinker spriggans, and they are no longer a benevolent absent minded race, but a cruel race of steam punk gnome/giants. They rule most of Ansalon.

The knights destroy one another is a massive civil war with one another, and the gods of magic begin to fight, causing the order of High Sorcery to kill each other off as well. The gods all withdraw from Krynn again, and the only divine casters are those that follow only philosophies and refuse to ever follow the gods again.

Finally, dragons are nearly hunted to extinction, and nearly all dragonlances are destroyed. Dragons are legends again, and the secret of making Dragonlances are lost, since they won't appear in other settings and therefore we don't want to have rules for them.

Ravenloft: This one is easy, since we already have a template to work from. While that gothic horror was great, PCs being uncertain about their actions, slow paced horror elements, and too many penalties for doing the "wrong" thing slowed this setting down far too much. D&D is about fast paced adventures and heroic actions.

The PCs will represent "slayers," heroes born to a given domain once in a generation. They will be fighting tons of vampires, ghouls, and zombies in encounters trying to work their way from one side of the domain to the other to slay the master . . . er . . . Darklord. And I do mean tons . . . one encounter shouldn't be with one vampire lord and a few minions, but with a pack of vampires backed up with a few dozen ghouls and zombies in the mix as well.

Plus the PCs should get bonus action points for making witty pop culture comments when they find out various parts of the villains plans or kill something in a funny manner.

Dark Sun: Now HERE is a 4th edition setting. No silly bastions of good here, or established nations. Just wilderness, settlements, and monsters. Oh, well, first well make sure that Tyr is destroyed. All better now. Okay. One thing that is a problem, though, is that no one wants to keep track of weather, rations, or thirst and hunger. So while lots of people in the setting suffer, the PCs are heroes, so they don't have to worry about this stuff. Oh, and since we don't want there to be rules to slow down spell casting, there are no more defilers. Some druid somewhere "fixed" magic, so it works again.

Oh yeah, Dark Sun doesn't have drow, so we have to reintroduce them. Maybe we can have them be the ones that destroyed Tyr.

Liberty's Edge

I think a special Morgan Ironwolf (chainmail) bikini issue of Dragon would do gangbusters!!!

Liberty's Edge

Forgotten Realms
The Thayans, having been really reallyreallyreally really successful with their magic item sales to other countries, have like, branched out into door-to-door magazine subscription sales. They are extremely unsuccessful, however, because the Zhentarim have set up wireless ethernet to most of the "civilized" regions of Faerun, and any and all magazines are available as pdf's on everybody's magic crystal balls. T
This leads to , you know, a lot of strife, and subterfuge that the characters get embroiled in. Harpers, Zhents, whatnot...
And Elminster is unavailable to help; he's been trying to set up his crystal ball, and being old and all, is having a lot of trouble.
Which is really ironic, cos a 0 level human commoner 6 year old could do it like that.


Heathansson wrote:

Forgotten Realms

The Thayans, having been really reallyreallyreally really successful with their magic item sales to other countries, have like, branched out into door-to-door magazine subscription sales. They are extremely unsuccessful, however, because the Zhentarim have set up wireless ethernet to most of the "civilized" regions of Faerun, and any and all magazines are available as pdf's on everybody's magic crystal balls. T
This leads to , you know, a lot of strife, and subterfuge that the characters get embroiled in. Harpers, Zhents, whatnot...
And Elminster is unavailable to help; he's been trying to set up his crystal ball, and being old and all, is having a lot of trouble.
Which is really ironic, cos a 0 level human commoner 6 year old could do it like that.

That's great, but they could just shoot everything 100 years into the future, destroy about 75% of the setting, and call it a day . . . wait, they are already doing that.

Liberty's Edge

Hmmm....no more gnomes, huh? I don't know if it's verified or not, but hell, that never stopped me, so....

All this talk of no more gnomes reminds me of Dark Sun. And what with tieflings being the gnomes of the 21st century,...they need a new "social quirk" the way dwarves are bald and halflings are scary cannibals or whatever. I'm liking my new idea of Darksun tieflings doing accordian acts and ventriloquist acts. They could have little homunculi, or better yet, actual gnomes who have just been put out of work like the erinyes. It'd go along with the whole nobody likes tieflings spiel. Reminds me of an old Jerry Lewis bit: "what's the definition of an optimist? An accordian player with a beeper."

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

KnightErrantJR wrote:
Heathansson wrote:

Forgotten Realms

The Thayans, having been really reallyreallyreally really successful with their magic item sales to other countries, have like, branched out into door-to-door magazine subscription sales. They are extremely unsuccessful, however, because the Zhentarim have set up wireless ethernet to most of the "civilized" regions of Faerun, and any and all magazines are available as pdf's on everybody's magic crystal balls. T
This leads to , you know, a lot of strife, and subterfuge that the characters get embroiled in. Harpers, Zhents, whatnot...
And Elminster is unavailable to help; he's been trying to set up his crystal ball, and being old and all, is having a lot of trouble.
Which is really ironic, cos a 0 level human commoner 6 year old could do it like that.
That's great, but they could just shoot everything 100 years into the future, destroy about 75% of the setting, and call it a day . . . wait, they are already doing that.

Kinda like the Time of Troubles, really, when they shook up the world to make room for 3e.


Yes, except that no major NPCs died in the Time of Troubles, the Time of Troubles only lasted a few months, no nations or organizations were destroyed. The main thing that happened was the death of a few gods, and a few of them even made a come back eventually.

Sorry, I don't want to sound snarky here, and I apologize if I do, but this is a much bigger change to the setting than the Time of Troubles was.

But I wanted to make sarcastic jokes in this thread . . . let the seriousness rest for other threads!

(Oh, and the Time of Troubles was the 1st/2nd edition RSE change, there was no official 2nd/3rd explanation event)

Liberty's Edge

The gnomes? The Lantanese gnomes? Where did they go?
Hey, what are all these tieflings doing here on Lantan? Where'd they come from?
The gnomes I guess moved to Evermeet. They have little gnomish gated retirement communities. There's a big eladrin security guard at the gate who adamantly refuses entry to tieflings.


Heathansson wrote:

The gnomes? The Lantanese gnomes? Where did they go?

Hey, what are all these tieflings doing here on Lantan? Where'd they come from?
The gnomes I guess moved to Evermeet. They have little gnomish gated retirement communities. There's a big eladrin security guard at the gate who adamantly refuses entry to tieflings.

The good news is that Dire Corbies are now a common race.

"Doom"

Oh, and the newly reformed Zhentarim uses gorbels almost exclusively.

Liberty's Edge

Woah. The Driznit book said they're jacking up Sembia, Mulhorand and Thay. Also, the klingon empire is now friends with the zhentarim.


Heathansson wrote:
Woah. The Driznit book said they're jacking up Sembia, Mulhorand and Thay. Also, the klingon empire is now friends with the zhentarim.

"Ka Pla, Manshoon."

Liberty's Edge

Hey, try this one on for size. They could make Elminster into an old white bearded Wu Xia kung fu ancient master. Have him fly around doing kung fu stuff. Fighting on bamboo forest tops and whatnot.
I think the kids would think that was "wicked bad." Maybe even "roXXors." I don't know their lingo no more.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

KnightErrantJR wrote:

Yes, except that no major NPCs died in the Time of Troubles, the Time of Troubles only lasted a few months, no nations or organizations were destroyed. The main thing that happened was the death of a few gods, and a few of them even made a come back eventually.

Sorry, I don't want to sound snarky here, and I apologize if I do, but this is a much bigger change to the setting than the Time of Troubles was.

But I wanted to make sarcastic jokes in this thread . . . let the seriousness rest for other threads!

(Oh, and the Time of Troubles was the 1st/2nd edition RSE change, there was no official 2nd/3rd explanation event)

Sorry. My bad. I'm just a baby!


Sect wrote:
KnightErrantJR wrote:

Yes, except that no major NPCs died in the Time of Troubles, the Time of Troubles only lasted a few months, no nations or organizations were destroyed. The main thing that happened was the death of a few gods, and a few of them even made a come back eventually.

Sorry, I don't want to sound snarky here, and I apologize if I do, but this is a much bigger change to the setting than the Time of Troubles was.

But I wanted to make sarcastic jokes in this thread . . . let the seriousness rest for other threads!

(Oh, and the Time of Troubles was the 1st/2nd edition RSE change, there was no official 2nd/3rd explanation event)

Sorry. My bad. I'm just a baby!

Bah, don't mind me, I'm just a cranky pants today.

Dark Archive

Anyway, to get back on subject. I would not lower myself to submitting anything to the electronic abominations that have the gall to call themselves Dungeon and Dragon. Let them rest in peace instead of having them shamble around like zombies in a cruel mockery of life.

Scarab Sages

Cory Stafford 29 wrote:
Anyway, to get back on subject. I would not lower myself to submitting anything to the electronic abominations that have the gall to call themselves Dungeon and Dragon. Let them rest in peace instead of having them shamble around like zombies in a cruel mockery of life.

HEY!!! No need to get personal.


actually I thougtht they were wiping everything, except Baldur's Gate, off the map to make it make more sense.

Silly, people thinking star wars saga was the playtest for 4e.
no it was Baldur's Gate.(not that boring old one that was SO longwinded the other top down one)


KnightErrantJR wrote:
The good news is that Dire Corbies are now a common race.

Dire corgies? Good lord, our ankles will never be safe again. Pembroke or Cardigan?

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Gaming / D&D / 4th Edition / Campaign Classics Ideas for Dragon's Online Version (4th Edition) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in 4th Edition