Will Paizo determine if 4e succeeds or fails?


4th Edition


It seems to me many people on these boards and others are saying that if Paizo switches to 4th edition they will also. But if Paizo sticks with 3.5, then that's where they will stay. Paizo could very well determine whether 4th edition lives or dies...

And since Paizo listens to their customers, I'd say we do have a voice on this new edition after all.

Dark Archive

blope wrote:

It seems to me many people on these boards and others are saying that if Paizo switches to 4th edition they will also. But if Paizo sticks with 3.5, then that's where they will stay. Paizo could very well determine whether 4th edition lives or dies...

And since Paizo listens to their customers, I'd say we do have a voice on this new edition after all.

I agree. I don't really think I've finished playing around with 3.5 just yet, and I'm not all that enthusiastic about 4th Ed, but if Paizo & Pathfinder switch over, (very likely, as much as I wish it wasn't) then I will eventually buy the books to continue using their stuff. But, though my logical self says there is absolutely no chance of it happening, and wholeheartedly agrees with Sebastian's comments, I shove that thought aside! Please continue to support 3.5 Paizo, at least alongside 4E products! Let WotC, in their wisdom, attempt to bring more gamers to the hobby, should that be 4E's destiny!

(Maybe if I close my eyes and think it hard enough, it'll happen!)
TWB


Except that Paizo customers represent only a tiny fraction of the D&D market - and only a small subset of those post on the Paizo message boards, so I don't think these few people will have a significant impact on 4e's success.

That said, I've wondered if 4e will have an OGL or not. There are several well-established companies such as Malhavoc Press, Green Ronin and, of course, Paizo, that are producing, in my opinion, the best products for D&D, so if WotC chooses not include OGL for 4e there may well continue to be a lot of high-quality support for 3.5, so it may continue for some time.

blope wrote:

It seems to me many people on these boards and others are saying that if Paizo switches to 4th edition they will also. But if Paizo sticks with 3.5, then that's where they will stay. Paizo could very well determine whether 4th edition lives or dies...

And since Paizo listens to their customers, I'd say we do have a voice on this new edition after all.


There will be OGL for 4E. Someone at Paizo posted say such in another thread discussing 4E. And I think you're comment is exactly why Wotc needed to bring the OGL for 4E. If they left it at 3.5 they would have more compatition.


Paizo can't intentionally aim for a shrinking market. 4e is the future, internet hysteria aside. The day will come when new players can't get 3e material from bookstores, FLGS, or Amazon.

We all know (or have been) the guy who stopped playing for a decade. The 1e/2e/3e market is generally static or shrinking as soon as 4e is released.

At some point, maybe not 5/2008, but at some point, the majority of the market will be for 4e products. It would be suicide to aim product where the customers aren't. And frankly, there's a nice potential revenue bonus if any conversion is necessary for things like the initiative tracker, crit deck, and other Gamemastery products.

It's coming. Might as well plan for it.

Grand Lodge

Brent Stroh wrote:

Paizo can't intentionally aim for a shrinking market. 4e is the future, internet hysteria aside. The day will come when new players can't get 3e material from bookstores, FLGS, or Amazon.

We all know (or have been) the guy who stopped playing for a decade. The 1e/2e/3e market is generally static or shrinking as soon as 4e is released.

At some point, maybe not 5/2008, but at some point, the majority of the market will be for 4e products. It would be suicide to aim product where the customers aren't. And frankly, there's a nice potential revenue bonus if any conversion is necessary for things like the initiative tracker, crit deck, and other Gamemastery products.

It's coming. Might as well plan for it.

Seconded, with the addition of saying take everything being said on this board right now with a huge grain of salt. Just because you listen to us doesn't mean you have to do everything we say, either; listening to the demands of the most fervid customers and ignoring what the man on the street is saying have run a company into the ground before.


(laughing) Lord help anyone who simply does whatever someone on an internet forum says.

(laughing stopped) Wait…some people follow certain books religiously without questioning them.


firevalkyrie wrote:
Just because you listen to us doesn't mean you have to do everything we say, either; listening to the demands of the most fervid customers and ignoring what the man on the street is saying have run a company into the ground before.

There is something in here that speaks to how capitalism can, in theory, work out, but I can't quite put my finger on it.


Of course, in theory, communism works fantastically as well.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Gaming / D&D / 4th Edition / Will Paizo determine if 4e succeeds or fails? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in 4th Edition