4dventure


4th Edition

101 to 150 of 641 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Phazzar wrote:

http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=686

Well...

Well, that settles the speculation...

It's a good thing, because my bonfire just finished consuming my Complete series.


Now all the pages seem to be blocked.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Tessius wrote:
I can't imagine the vitriol & bile that those WizO's will have to deal with. My dissapointment is about the misinformation about the probable release date.

The actual release could still be a while away.

Silver Crusade

By the way, Sebastian. I'm going to the bakery tomorrow. While everyone is eating their humble pie, I shall be eating a coconut cream pie because they're delicious.


Someone must be monitoring here and EN World and found the "hole."

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Sweet s#$$ on a stick.

I leave town for business for ONE DAY and all hell breaks loose.

Seriously? 4e? I never got involved in those discussions on here 'cause I just figured there was NO WAY they'd release a 4e this soon from 3.0/3.5.

Man, the D&D world has gone through significant upheavels in the last year, this is the biggest yet.

So..um...yeah....only a few hundred dollars worth of gaming materials that will soon become obsolete. Blah.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Zynete wrote:
Tessius wrote:
I can't imagine the vitriol & bile that those WizO's will have to deal with. My dissapointment is about the misinformation about the probable release date.
The actual release could still be a while away.

true *sigh* course the 5-htp pill and the cap-n-coke I got now probably are helping my mood a little....that and comtemplating not telling my current gaming group who don't use the internet lol

edit: woo-sah....


So one of the topics on the forums was the OGL. So does that mean that Fourth Edition is OGL?

I'm sticking with Pathfinder with 3.5, at least until the end of Curse of the Crimson Throne. I want to wait for all the reviews and what not of 4th, anyway.

Ugh. Loyalties divided between 3.5 Pathfinder and 4e D&D.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Alright...this wallows in lameness.

Just when I almost had 3.5 figured out.

Spoiler:
Except for grappling, of course.

Spoiler:
And attacks of opportunity.


Kelvar Silvermace wrote:

Alright...this wallows in lameness.

Just when I almost had 3.5 figured out.
** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

AoOs and Criticals only happen on a 4 now . . . didn't you see the pictures?


Those shiny new 4e forums went down faster than a Quickling on a hot tin roof. I hope Wizards wasn't expecting no one to find them...but then again, I would expect Wizards to expect that.

Contributor

Twisted tail!

A thousand eyes!

Trapped forever!

Epa! Epa! Epa!


Well whatever this turns out to be it certainly has got the RPG boards everywhere talking. There really is no such thing as bad press....

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Star Wars SAGA edition just came out....and yeah, it made some changes, but I wouldn't say they were drastic. They just tried to clean things up a little.

What does everyone think? Will 4e be a drastic overhaul? Or will it just be a v3.75 with a lot of gloss?

Liberty's Edge

KnightErrantJR wrote:
Someone must be monitoring here and EN World and found the "hole."

...but who are the posters that slipped through the hole?...

Liberty's Edge

Varl wrote:
Those shiny new 4e forums went down faster than a Quickling on a hot tin roof. I hope Wizards wasn't expecting no one to find them...but then again, I would expect Wizards to expect that.

Huh, yeah, they shut them down preetty quick. So was that an "oops, ppl can see these boards they're not supposed to see yet, confirming TOMORROW'S announcement" ...? Or, "lets let people get a 'sneak peak' at these boards to get them talking...."

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Mothman wrote:
Varl wrote:
Those shiny new 4e forums went down faster than a Quickling on a hot tin roof. I hope Wizards wasn't expecting no one to find them...but then again, I would expect Wizards to expect that.
Huh, yeah, they shut them down preetty quick. So was that an "oops, ppl can see these boards they're not supposed to see yet, confirming TOMORROW'S announcement" ...? Or, "lets let people get a 'sneak peak' at these boards to get them talking...."

There's a pic over on enworld of the boards before they were shut down. Some crazy stuff. The thing that stuck out to me was the "Dungeon Master's Kit". There was other wacky stuff too.

Liberty's Edge

Magic 8 ball? Player Character Baseball cards with stats on the back? Wha...

Liberty's Edge

Eyebite wrote:

Star Wars SAGA edition just came out....and yeah, it made some changes, but I wouldn't say they were drastic. They just tried to clean things up a little.

What does everyone think? Will 4e be a drastic overhaul? Or will it just be a v3.75 with a lot of gloss? [/QUOTE
more PrCs!
more minis!
more magic cards!
(I hope not)

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Heathansson wrote:
Magic 8 ball? Player Character Baseball cards with stats on the back? Wha...

I think you read that wrong. 4th Edition is going to be a collectable card game. Races, spells, classes, monsters, skills; all of them are going to be collectable cards.

Liberty's Edge

Sebastian wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Varl wrote:
Those shiny new 4e forums went down faster than a Quickling on a hot tin roof. I hope Wizards wasn't expecting no one to find them...but then again, I would expect Wizards to expect that.
Huh, yeah, they shut them down preetty quick. So was that an "oops, ppl can see these boards they're not supposed to see yet, confirming TOMORROW'S announcement" ...? Or, "lets let people get a 'sneak peak' at these boards to get them talking...."
There's a pic over on enworld of the boards before they were shut down. Some crazy stuff. The thing that stuck out to me was the "Dungeon Master's Kit". There was other wacky stuff too.

Yeah, I was logged in and saw it briefly, but was dumb enough to log back out before I posted anything or read very much...

Silver Crusade

Heathansson wrote:
Magic 8 ball? Player Character Baseball cards with stats on the back? Wha...

I have Lidda's rookie card.


4E on the way. Verrry interesting.

And all that talk I've heard about 3.5 books scheduled for release? Forget it: chances are WOTC knew a long time ago they WERENT getting released - at least in 3.5 format.

You guys at Paizo will have a LOT of work to do VERY soon!

Liberty's Edge

I'm happy. Now I can get all the 3.5 books at 1/2 Price Books in 3 months or whenever.
Unless 4e. has a Millenium Falcon chess set battlemat with little holograms that beat the s*@! outta eachother.

Silver Crusade

Don't forget, though... They could be announcing that 4e will be released a year from now.

But I hope not, since I've burned all my 3.5 books.

I probably shouldn't have done that.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Another frickin edition? I hope not. Give it up already. I will be one pissed off spellcaster. The death of Dungeon and Dragon magazine, and now this.

There is a new sheriff in town and his name is Paizo

Liberty's Edge

Nobody cares. I'm just an old crazy coot sitting on my porch, b+*@@ing about the good ole days, aren't I?
Well, they can all bite me. First Dungeon and Dragon, now this.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Mothman wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Varl wrote:
Those shiny new 4e forums went down faster than a Quickling on a hot tin roof. I hope Wizards wasn't expecting no one to find them...but then again, I would expect Wizards to expect that.
Huh, yeah, they shut them down preetty quick. So was that an "oops, ppl can see these boards they're not supposed to see yet, confirming TOMORROW'S announcement" ...? Or, "lets let people get a 'sneak peak' at these boards to get them talking...."
There's a pic over on enworld of the boards before they were shut down. Some crazy stuff. The thing that stuck out to me was the "Dungeon Master's Kit". There was other wacky stuff too.
Yeah, I was logged in and saw it briefly, but was dumb enough to log back out before I posted anything or read very much...

I got a post in and was able to see most of it. There was a thread for a 24 hour service with which you can play D&D and another thread mentioned minitures with the new edition rules showing up in April. Very little direct information overall.


All I've to say about this is: People still play 2e. I'll still play 3.5. Wizards can go and die in a nasty little corner.
PAIZO ASCENDANT!!!

Liberty's Edge

Is that Castles and Crusades game any good?


I seriously doubt WoTC would pretty much crash thier homepage for something as relatively low-key as a plug for GenCon. Especially since, while they may have a big ass sandbox there, they have long since ceased being the company running it - as I understand.

No, I suspect it is the dread coming of 4th edition Dee N Dee.

If the DDO MMORPG is any indication, I think I shall take a pass on 4e.

Although, in hindsight, this does explain certain moves on WoTC's part now doesn't it ...

Liberty's Edge

Arctaris wrote:

All I've to say about this is: People still play 2e. I'll still play 3.5. Wizards can go and die in a nasty little corner.

PAIZO ASCENDANT!!!

Heh, I liked your first post better dude...

You seem somewhat bitter. I'm not, really, but I can tell you that I'll be rolling dice with you in 3.5 for a long time to come.


Eyebite wrote:

Star Wars SAGA edition just came out....and yeah, it made some changes, but I wouldn't say they were drastic. They just tried to clean things up a little.

What does everyone think? Will 4e be a drastic overhaul? Or will it just be a v3.75 with a lot of gloss?

Don't count on it. I'm prepared for the worst.

I received my free Pathfinder download a few days ago and I'm looking forward to switching to Paizo/Pathfinder/Game Mastery exclusively. If Wizards put D&D into a playable card game, I hope it sinks the company and they give the entire line to someone else who deserves to treat it for what its worth.


Arctaris wrote:

All I've to say about this is: People still play 2e. I'll still play 3.5. Wizards can go and die in a nasty little corner.

PAIZO ASCENDANT!!!

I'm with you!

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

You know...

a crazy thought just occurred to me...

we've all been trained from the last edition swaps to expect that 4e = death of 3e/3.5 as far as WotC is concerned. But, back in the day, 1e/2e products coexisted during a transition period.

It's not entirely far-fetched that wizards might continue a 3.5 line. Stranger things have happened. A Greyhawk line would be particularly well suited to such a product.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

If someone already posted this, sorry.

This is, it claims, a screen shot of the 4E message board.
http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3702448&postcount=217

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Sebastian wrote:

You know...

a crazy thought just occurred to me...

we've all been trained from the last edition swaps to expect that 4e = death of 3e/3.5 as far as WotC is concerned. But, back in the day, 1e/2e products coexisted during a transition period.

It's not entirely far-fetched that wizards might continue a 3.5 line. Stranger things have happened. A Greyhawk line would be particularly well suited to such a product.

I was thinking along the same lines, until I remembered (what seemed to me) the sudden night-and-day switch from 2e to 3e.

I just remember trying to pick up ...god what was it called....the Circle of Eight supplement....the one where Tenser comes back as a clone...anyway, I just remember seeing it on the bargain rack, and being told by the Simpsons-esque store owner that "all that stuff is being totally phased out....it's all about 3e now baybeeee."


Upon further consideration and learning a little bit more information (rumors?) over at EN World, I think this may be a good thing for the following reasons:

* The current game system feels too complicated and sometimes restrictive and annoying.
* The new edition will probably be designed with computer software enhancement to help on various levels for all aspects of play. You'll be able to use digital help as much or as little as you desire.
* My biggest fear was that this meant the end of Pathfinder's success, at least after a year or so, if there was no OGL for 4e. According to EN World however they may allow certain companies to buy licenses. Whether this is true, whether they'll give one to Paizo, and whether it's affordable, remains to be seen.

At any rate, I'm not fully convinced yet, but you never know...naysayers beware! You might be purchasing your own "Dungeon Master's Kit" within the next 12 months. It's hard to know until everything is official.


I generally try not to be that vocal (I have a tendancy to speak first and then later I realize that what I want to say makes a better impression if said diplomatically) and I generally don't have to edit a post five times (although four of those times were due to errors in spelling, tense and grammar).
I am bitter. I'm relatively new to the hobby and I love the game. I don't like how Wizards operates; they don't seem to understand that D&D is and always will be a niche hobby. They try to do the mass market thing, they try to make it a big industry using big industry strategies that don't respect that it's a hobbyist thing, not a major thing. Paizo did a fantastic job with Dungeon and Dragon and then WotC took that away from them (and us) just so that they could widen their profit margin and make all the money themselves with some kind of 'online magazine' b!&~#$*@. Then they come up with Gleemax, the "online home for gamers". It feels like they're trying to show that they can do whatever Paiz can do, but better (which they can't). I think that the good people at Paizo understand what D&D is and try to stay close to its roots. In my opinion D&D should be left to companies like Paizo. Creating new parts of D&D and publishing D&D should be left to people who play the game, who love the game, not the greedy elite of Hasbro and WotC who don't care about the people who play the game except where their wallet is concerned.
I suppose this reflects an increasingly bitter and jaded perspective on corporate America and the 'American dream' in general. The poeple with the money (and therefore the power) don't care about what they produce; they don't care what it does to the planet or the people they sell to, just as long as they can make a profit and they can't get sued for it. They don't care if it satysfies the customer, just as long as the customer keeps paying.
EDIT: Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense.
I will look at the 4e books and I'll probably end up stealing stuff from them to make a 3.5/4e hybrid.
EDIT: This last edit makes it seven times that I've edited this post.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Eyebite wrote:


I was thinking along the same lines, until I remembered (what seemed to me) the sudden night-and-day switch from 2e to 3e.

I just remember trying to pick up ...god what was it called....the Circle of Eight supplement....the one where Tenser comes back as a clone...anyway, I just remember seeing it on the bargain rack, and being told by the Simpsons-esque store owner that "all that stuff is being totally phased out....it's all about 3e now baybeeee."

Yes, but the situation is fundamentally different now. At the end of 2e, the line was dead, people were fleeing it in droves. I know that I quit buying products. No one wanted 2e once 3e came out, except for a handful of hardcore hold outs. EnWorld was a very different place in anticipation of 3e, the excitement was palatable.

Compare to the current situation, particularly EnWorld. Eric Noah himself is saying that he will stick with 3e. There are also a hoarde of third parties out there slavering for WotC to drop 3e and give them the opportunity to scoop the ball and run with it.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I think that the assumption that 4e = death of 3e may not be warranted...

Dark Archive

Sebastian wrote:
Y'all can mope around talking about how the original star trek is the best thing ever. Me? I'll be on the bridge with Picard and Data fighting the borg if you need me.

Actually Sebastian, for your analogy to be correct in this instance, you'd have to be on Scott Bacula's bridge, watching him get all humpy on every female co-star, while the rest of us are moaning about how great DS9 is. Just thought I'd bring that up.


Either I *hate* it, and stop getting to buy interesting D&D books, or I love it, and have to buy a bunch of new ones.

Ug.

The Exchange

BluePigeon wrote:

Don't count on it. I'm prepared for the worst.

I received my free Pathfinder download a few days ago and I'm looking forward to switching to Paizo/Pathfinder/Game Mastery exclusively. If Wizards put D&D into a playable card game, I hope it sinks the company and they give the entire line to someone else who deserves to treat it for what its worth.

Let's start rumors: Where did Monte Cook go six months ago?

I think I will like a change although I might not like 4th Edition.
1- Since they announced "Rules Compendium" I have been looking foward to stop buying WotC simply because I have all I need. (Except Miniatures of course)
2- I would like to see whether DI (from WotC or someone else) can help me for game prep. Already RPGXplorer seems to be competing.
3- Maybe they have some good ideas for improving the game. Maybe spells like Arcana Evolved or eliminating high-level/multi-weapon dice rolling. Who knows. I can steal what I want now and in a few years, when I am looking for a RPG 'change', I will buy.


Eyebite wrote:


I was thinking along the same lines, until I remembered (what seemed to me) the sudden night-and-day switch from 2e to 3e.

I'm still recovering from it. The only way I'll buy back into any new edition Wizards releases is if it has the same compatibility 1e/2e had, and even then, they'd have to go retro too. I don't see them trying to reestablish contact with OOP fans any time soon, and I kinda hope they don't. I'm liking my 1e/2e hybrid with a dash of Paizo on top. Tasty! :)


Am I the only one that noticed what looks like a new D&D logo in the background of the countdown?


So is there actually going to be any useful information about the new edition on Wizards tomorrow, or is this whole thing just one of those bulls**t announcement of an announcement things that plague the internet?

"3, 2, 1: Greetings citizens. We would like to announce that we have decided to make a 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons. End transmission."

If I see that tomorrow I swear to god I'm going to rail helplessly at my screen. But not too loud in case my boss hears.


Ah well. It looks like 4th Edition is here. Damn. I at least hope that Wizards takes a leaf from Paizo's book and allows free PDF downloads like Paizo did for Player's Guides.


If 4E is essentially classless with modular class features (with the traditional base classes provided as quick play examples) I'll be happy. Otherwise I guess I'm in the grumpy old man camp with pretty much everyone else here.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

kahoolin wrote:
If 4E is essentially classless with modular class features (with the traditional base classes provided as quick play examples) I'll be happy. Otherwise I guess I'm in the grumpy old man camp with pretty much everyone else here.

It will not be. Bet the farm on it.

Liberty's Edge

I hope they revitalize thac0 some how.

101 to 150 of 641 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Gaming / D&D / 4th Edition / 4dventure All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.