Diagram of The Wreck


Savage Tide Adventure Path

101 to 125 of 125 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

I am going to take down the wreck sometime this week. I am glad I made it but I don't really have a need for it any longer. Most of it is made of flat pieces that could be shipped fairly easily (at least it looks that way). I would be willing to send it to someone else to use (or perhaps meet someone if they happen to live near Chicago) in their campaign if anyone was interested.

I could send the base map as well but you'd have to find your own trees, a way to support the ships, and a method of keeping the build upright. I used a piece of clear plexiglass I had at home but there are other ways to do it I'm sure. The only thing I'd ask is that whoever uses it would forward it on to the next group to use.

If anyone is interested just post and we'll go from there.


Whew, I am done. Entitle it: "The Wreck cheap and fast." :)

Here are some Construction pics:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/75651634@N00/D3W8Cf

Here is a video of the finished project:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qwxu6OM6Q
(Excuse the cheezy music, it was better than silence :)

Cost ~$10.00
Materials: Cardboard, big bottle of Elmer's glue, (3) Mail tubes, (4) Wooden Dowels, Construction paper and large roll of duct tape.

I used a big pile of leftover cardboard from Christmas. The cardboard when glued together in a double layer was plenty stiff, a little duct tape around the edges and it looks snazzy.

A couple of color copies filched from the color copier/printer at work (Yes, that is cheating in the material cost... NYAH :) were glued onto the double layers for the map and ships. I mounted them to mail tubes as the trees and couple dowels as masts and moorings. Holes were cut in the double layer for the mail tubes to go through and I skewered the mail tubes with dowels slipped between the the card board layers to hold them in place. (That and a ton of glue and duct tape.) Then I built up the Fo'c'sles with another cardboard layer.

The holes that I had previously punched out of the ships (for the mail tubes) I re-used as Crow's nests to attach the cardboard walkways. Then I raided my son's room for brown and green construction paper which I slapped on some of the scrap cardboard for the tree canopy.

To finish it out I duct taped the crap out of everything rough looking and anything loose I drowned in glue.


Wow. All this effort has prompted me to try my own hand at making a model of the Wreck. Here are the parts I'll be using (most of which I found on sale at various times):

The ships:
- Baeldictum: Mega Bloks Vorgan Ice Fang Ship ($20)
- The Glad: Mega Bloks Empress ($20)
- The Two-faced Wretch: Pirateology model Ship (Swiftbuck) ($7)
- Lookout point: Weapons and Warriors pirate ship ($10)
- The Anger: Brown Best-Lock ship ($10)
- Black Sprite: Black Best-Lock ship ($10)
- The Fortitude: Mega Bloks Flying Dutchman ($13)

Also:
- Klutz Pirate ship building cards ($8)
- 36” Pine tree ($6)
- Two 14” Palm trees x2 ($5 each)
- Small sized chain and rope (from hardware store)
- Plasticard (free from real estate signs littered near my house)
- Asian placemat (to cut up and use as ladders/bridges) ($2)

Since I already had the pirate ships anyways, this actually isn't going to be that costly.


Lord Alarik The Fool wrote:

Whew, I am done. Entitle it: "The Wreck cheap and fast." :)

Here are some Construction pics:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/75651634@N00/D3W8Cf

Here is a video of the finished project:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H1qwxu6OM6Q
(Excuse the cheezy music, it was better than silence :)

Cost ~$10.00
Materials: Cardboard, big bottle of Elmer's glue, (3) Mail tubes, (4) Wooden Dowels, Construction paper and large roll of duct tape.

I used a big pile of leftover cardboard from Christmas. The cardboard when glued together in a double layer was plenty stiff, a little duct tape around the edges and it looks snazzy.

A couple of color copies filched from the color copier/printer at work (Yes, that is cheating in the material cost... NYAH :) were glued onto the double layers for the map and ships. I mounted them to mail tubes as the trees and couple dowels as masts and moorings. Holes were cut in the double layer for the mail tubes to go through and I skewered the mail tubes with dowels slipped between the the card board layers to hold them in place. (That and a ton of glue and duct tape.) Then I built up the Fo'c'sles with another cardboard layer.

The holes that I had previously punched out of the ships (for the mail tubes) I re-used as Crow's nests to attach the cardboard walkways. Then I raided my son's room for brown and green construction paper which I slapped on some of the scrap cardboard for the tree canopy.

To finish it out I duct taped the crap out of everything rough looking and anything loose I drowned in glue.

Woot. And I did not find the music cheesy, in fact I have been using the same soundtrack whenever we run into pirates. O:) I almost expected the fog to roll in about 37 seconds into it. Speaking of you should add dry ice to your vid--not really--ok maybe--nah--well...


Curaigh wrote:
Woot. And I did not find the music cheesy, in fact I have been using the same soundtrack whenever we run into pirates. O:) I almost expected the fog to roll in about 37 seconds into it. Speaking of you should add dry ice to your vid--not really--ok maybe--nah--well...

Dry ice.. hmm ...maybe for the game itself. Well, they do describe the wreck having a cloud of gnats and mosquitos around it. ..and whenever anyone fails a save against the Retriever's ice ray I dunk their mini in the vat... BWHAHAHAHA :)


What happened to Black Bard? Did his model fall on him or something?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Maybe it was so realistic it created a sympathetic link and he got sucked into Scuttlecove.

Better check his profile, see if he can handle it :)

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Lord Alarik The Fool wrote:

Excuse the cheezy music, it was better than silence :)

Nah, "Walk like an Egyptian" would have been cheesy :)


Gaming was delayed a week so I got bored and added gibbets and the tower. (I know I will forget about those gibbets if I don't put them in)

Quick and cheap style: (Extra cost zero, 30 minutes of work including drying time.)

-Quick gibbets were a push pins glued down, a spot of black duct tape on top to hide the weird colors and a strip of left over walkway glued around it for bars. Dabbed in glue on top to give it a consistent finish.

-Tower was a few inches of left over cardboard tube, crenelated with scissors, colored with sharpie. I removed a circle of the first layer of cardboard to make a groove (so that the tower is removable for bottom floor access.) I took the plastic cap from the mail tube and cut a double semi circle, with cut on one side. Pushed down it made a groovy spiral staircase.

Pics:
MyWreck30
MyWreck31
MyWreck32
MyWreck33
MyWreck34
MyWreck35
MyWreck36
MyWreck37

Tomorrow: Showtime!


Ignore (somehow posted to wrong thread)


For those of you who have already tackled this project:

What source image(s) did you use for the map itself? Just go down to Kinko's with the supplement .pdf and print out the picture from there? It seems like a pretty small image to enlarge to 3'x4' and still keep any clarity.

Is there a larger image somewhere I could use?

Thanks in advance.


Redhoof wrote:

For those of you who have already tackled this project:

What source image(s) did you use for the map itself? Just go down to Kinko's with the supplement .pdf and print out the picture from there? It seems like a pretty small image to enlarge to 3'x4' and still keep any clarity.

Is there a larger image somewhere I could use?

Thanks in advance.

I extracted the images from the pdf. Then I used Macromedia Fireworks to enlarge the images (Photoshop and the like would do just as well) and redrew the grid lines (as vector images) so they would be nice and sharp on the large scale.

Since it is a map of broken down shacks and trees the low res seems to make less difference especially since the grid lines were bold and clear.


James Jacobs wrote:
So yeah, for now it's just read the text carefully and pay attention to the side views. If someone out there does an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations, or does a neat 3d-view... I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it! I'd do one myself, but I'm morbidly busy these days...

Lemme echo what the incomparable Mr. Jacobs has said...if someone has done an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations...

I've had fun looking at the various 3-D renderings and full-scale models y'all put together--and major kudos to each of you--but I really just need something simpler, like a single-page drawing. Maybe a view from the west and perhaps a view from the south or southeast. I'm tempted to try it myself based on your modeling, but time works against me.

Any help?


Malachi Tarchannen wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
So yeah, for now it's just read the text carefully and pay attention to the side views. If someone out there does an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations, or does a neat 3d-view... I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it! I'd do one myself, but I'm morbidly busy these days...

Lemme echo what the incomparable Mr. Jacobs has said...if someone has done an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations...

I've had fun looking at the various 3-D renderings and full-scale models y'all put together--and major kudos to each of you--but I really just need something simpler, like a single-page drawing. Maybe a view from the west and perhaps a view from the south or southeast. I'm tempted to try it myself based on your modeling, but time works against me.

Any help?

The site mine was hosted on is gone, if you want some pics give me an email address and i can send them. With halloween just around the corner, I am going to max my uploads on flickr real soon.


Malachi Tarchannen wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
So yeah, for now it's just read the text carefully and pay attention to the side views. If someone out there does an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations, or does a neat 3d-view... I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to see it! I'd do one myself, but I'm morbidly busy these days...

Lemme echo what the incomparable Mr. Jacobs has said...if someone has done an accurate and usable diagram of the elevations...

I've had fun looking at the various 3-D renderings and full-scale models y'all put together--and major kudos to each of you--but I really just need something simpler, like a single-page drawing. Maybe a view from the west and perhaps a view from the south or southeast. I'm tempted to try it myself based on your modeling, but time works against me.

Any help?

Hopefully this will help you visualize the wreck a little better.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/248962-constructing-3d- tower-shackled-city-campaign-ending.html#post4634915

Check out post #6.


Curaigh,
Please send said pics to drewnchick (at) valornet (dot) com.

Ronin,
I can't get that link to work for me. :(

Thanks heaps!

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Try this link!

Ronin's tower is amazing! If only the Black Bard would post photos ;-)


Ronin! Wow!! Major kudos!
That model completely brought the Wreck to life for me, and I'd love to show those pictures to my group next session to aid in their visualization as well. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to build anything like that myself.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

I'm still trying to decide how to map out Farshore. The wreck's a long way away! I do intend to build something though.

Ronin - just spotted what happened your link: a space slipped in after 3d-

I'm glad. It reminded me of your awesome work :-)


Thanks guys! Something I was thinking of doing prior to making the commitment to build the wreck was to make individual floors plans. I was planning to make each deck like I did in the model but not assemble it at all. Instead I'd write on each one how high it is off of the ground and lay them out on a table in a mock set up. You could even have them off of the ground by sitting them on a shoe box or something similar.

The ladders and bridges looked great but they didn't come into play at all during the session, you could easily go without them. So you'd really only be making about 5-6 floor plans (EASY if you have the Maiden of the High Seas) which you could do in about an hour or two. One thing you would have to worry about is stability- you wouldn't want it to fall over in the middle of a session!

I don't know if that's something you'd want to do but I thought I'd toss a couple of ideas out there. After you've been thru it the ideas seem to come easier, when I sat down to build it I was drawing a blank on how to do it for a little while before the wheels started turning.


Malachi Tarchannen wrote:

Curaigh,

Please send said pics to drewnchick (at) valornet (dot) com.

Ronin,
I can't get that link to work for me. :(

Thanks heaps!

OK finally sent, let me know if you have problems getting them.


Building a 3D battle map of The Wreck looks cool but I don't have the time, skills, or interest. Is there any place I can go for a printable (2D) map of the Crimson Fleet hideout scaled for minis play?


Morrow wrote:
any place I can go for a printable (2D) map of the Crimson Fleet hideout scaled for minis play?

I recommend printing the maps as is from the Dungeon #146 Online Supplement, using 1 square = 5' just for convenience (I basically used that scale on my hugely elaborate 3-D setup anyway)


Matthew Vincent wrote:
Morrow wrote:
any place I can go for a printable (2D) map of the Crimson Fleet hideout scaled for minis play?

I like that they scaled the map 1 square = 10 feet. For my convenience I'm sure. A map of the ships that reflected their relative positions would have been nice, too.


I wanted to thank all of you who contributed your ideas to this thread. And especially thank those of you whose images and video are still available on the internet to see over a decade later.

I am currently running this adventure and I was planning to build my own version of the Crimson Fleet base. But this crisis hit just before I was about to start the physical work. My players and I decided we would switch to online, and I have been running the game with roll20. So I intend to use the images and video to show my players the size and scale of the Crimson Fleet base, while conducting the battles on the map boards provided with the adventure.

Thanks again!

101 to 125 of 125 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / Books & Magazines / Dungeon Magazine / Savage Tide Adventure Path / Diagram of The Wreck All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Savage Tide Adventure Path