Transvirtuals


Dungeon Magazine General Discussion

1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I wanted to commend James Jacobs on the excellent editorial in Dungeon #144 about "transvirtual" role-players, i.e. guys who play girls (or vice versa). Like James, I too am a transvirtual, which often earns me strange looks from gamers and non-gamers alike. In fact, many seem to think that because I often roleplay female characters, that must mean I'm in the closet. In truth, it is quite the opposite. I roleplay female characters because I find women attractive (and judging by the fact that Tyrlandi was inspired by the iconic female cleric of Wee Jas fan art, I suspect James might have similar attitudes).

That's my 2 cp for now.


My wife and I got a kick out of that phrase as well.

I have played both, but prefer to play average male human characters who have interesting personalities and backgrounds rather than using a gender/racial facet to form my character around. But that is just my personal taste. It's a role playing game... you are supposed to step outside yourself for this.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Yeah... Tyralandi is indeed pretty hot...

THAT SAID... I do have to admit that I didn't come up with the word "transvirtual." A friend of mine did, when I told him that my World of Warcraft character was female. However, I'm the first one to actually write it down, so that's gotta count for something! :)


Hehehe, though I don't make fun of my friends when they play girls(maybe I do, just 4 laughters) it feels awkward RPing female characters sometimes, especially when your Dm wants to hook you up with every single Npcs. (@_@)


Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment. No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Dark Archive Contributor

Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Huh, weird. I've never played with either of those kinds of people, although I certainly don't doubt they exist. I'm sorry you're experiences have been so grotesque and awkward. :\


Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment. No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Not mentioning when your friends play females and want to date you "in the game". AND they wanna role play it. I just say "dude go get an npc mm'k?

Contributor

Mike McA wrote:
Huh, weird. I've never played with either of those kinds of people, although I certainly don't doubt they exist. I'm sorry you're experiences have been so grotesque and awkward. :\

So, you're saying James doesn't fall into one of those categories? :D

Aside from DM NPCs, I've never played a female character. Of course, in some of my games, the characters may as well be androginous - the sex of the character never comes into play.


I play a female character, roughly, every other PC I create. If it matters, I am happily married and am looking for no special in-game treatment. The rest of my group--all male--also play occasional female characters. Sometimes the character's concept just demands that they be female or something else entirely.

You should try it if you haven't yet. You might just learn something new about people. :D

I just got issue #144 and look forward to reading the piece.


There has been a good discussion on this issue on another thread in the general D&D section as well. I won't duplicate postings there except to add my thanks to James for his brave advocacy on behalf of all of us transvirtuals. It has made it easier for the rest of us to come out of the closet ;) (Since I play both male and female characters does that make me bivirtual?) ;)

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, Alien Gunfighter. I hope you have the chance to play with some people who don't take things to such awkward extremes. My bad jokes aside, in my experiences transvirtuals are usually much more discrete and "normal." Most of us guys who enjoy playing female characters may have a certain appreciation for chainmail bikinis in fantasy art, but we still see women as multi-dimensional characters, capable of playing many different roles and having diverse personalities and (yes) attitudes toward sex. My current female character, a sohei, is celibate and eats so much kimchee that her non-Shou party mates give her a wide berth. She spends much of her time meditating, when she is not dissecting orcs and Bane-ite priests with her naginata.


First, I don't like the word transvirtual (sorry, James).

How can the gender of an imaginary character be a more important characteristic than others? If I play Thrunk the dim-witted barbarian from Cimmeria, no one thinks I want to be stupid, or that I want to kill people, or that I want to change my name. But if I play a female character -- whoa! Why the special attention?

So forgive my disapproval, but I think the word transvirtual fuels a perception that crossing gender lines in RPGs is uniquely peculiar.

To be fair, there are some that appear to engage in some sort of unhealthy wish-fulfillment when playing, but such behavior isn't limited to playing a character of the opposite sex -- in these cases gender is not the issue, but a symptom. (I hope this is rare, but I've played with more than one.)

My two cents -- I hope it's worth at least that :)

Jack


Mike McA wrote:
Huh, weird. I've never played with either of those kinds of people, although I certainly don't doubt they exist. I'm sorry you're experiences have been so grotesque and awkward. :\
Zherog wrote:
So, you're saying James doesn't fall into one of those categories? :D

Wait -- is James weird, or grotesque and awkward?

:P


I'm not really sure what to say about this whole discussion. My first character was a male paladin, followed closely by a male dwarf fighter (who is still one of my all-time favorites). It didn't even occur to me to play a female character for some time (and yes, I'm a woman). I'd say that I currently play the different genders about 70-30 (I more often portray male characters than female). My husband, who happens to be a very "manly" man (fireman, avid outdoorsman, active in team sports, weight-lifter, and active-duty Marine), probably plays female characters at least a quarter of the time.
It never really occurred to me that this would be considered odd or deserving of its own special definitive word. I'm shocked that such discrimination and wildly speculative attitudes even exist against players who happen to have characters of the opposite sex. What difference does it make? Sex is almost never even a factor in game play. I guess my only opinion toward such folk is - Grow up! On the other hand, now that I think about it, I might be concerned about someone who refused to ever play a character of the other sex - like maybe your insecure in your manhood (or womanhood).
Long live transvirtuals!


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment. No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Sounds like you need to find some new people to game with if you ask me.


Don't forget us DMs. We play everything!
Does that makes us transvirtual by definition?

I'm with Tatterdemalion and Lady Aurora, and I'm going to add my 2 tins:

James mentioned the word came from his friend referring to online gaming. Well, there is a very valid reason males play female characters online. Live is easier! Males that haven't seen girls in real life (which are usually the more powerful people playing) give you stuff for free and help you out a lot.

I don't play MMORPGs nowadays (I prefer Oblivion kind of games where I am the hero) but I have an extensive background in MUDs. Back then you knew the other characters' gender only by the pronouns used during actions. And many males got away with impersonating females and thus getting lots of help and powerful items handed down. Even attaining positions of power in the world, which was usually the point where the ruse was over, as it usually involved off-game communication.

That was true back then when you had to read and use your imagination, I'm pretty confident it is truer (yeah that's right) now that you have breasts clearly stating that the character is female. I'm sure it's even easier!


Tatterdemalion wrote:

First, I don't like the word transvirtual (sorry, James).

If I play Thrunk the dim-witted barbarian from Cimmeria, no one thinks I want to be stupid, or that I want to kill people, or that I want to change my name. But if I play a female character -- whoa! Why the special attention?

So forgive my disapproval, but I think the word transvirtual fuels a perception that crossing gender lines in RPGs is uniquely peculiar.

Uh.. Yes if you play a dim-witted barbarian I will think he is stupid and wants to kill people. Secondly, I think 'transvirtual' is fine, or maybe we could call them "guys who playes females, ugh!" or maybe "RPG transexuals"? XD

Liberty's Edge

HELLFINGER wrote:

maybe we could call them "guys who playes females, ugh!" or maybe "RPG transexuals"?

Uhhhh... I'd just say something like "guy with a female character" or "chick with a male character."

Wouldn't that be novel.

-Mr. Shiny


The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
HELLFINGER wrote:

maybe we could call them "guys who playes females, ugh!" or maybe "RPG transexuals"?

Uhhhh... I'd just say something like "guy with a female character" or "chick with a male character."

Wouldn't that be novel.

-Mr. Shiny

How novel. I like it better than "transvirtual". Transvirtual sounds dirty. I'll write it again so you all can say it agian T R A N S V I R T U A L. Wooh! DIRTY! I hate to be called one but I guess I am a T R A N S V I R T U A L, nah i like guy w/ a female character better.

Boy this is quite the subject on the message boards.
Thank you James for writing that article, I was unaware of how strongly people feel about it. It seems that players who don't like "transvirtuals" have definite feelings about it.


Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

As wierd as I am (I play D&D, thats wierd), I have had a few girlfriends and shared my sexual fantalies w/ them but not on the game table (at least not during a game).

Alien Gunfighter wrote:


2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

I got to try this one. I am a power gamer deep down but never thought of playing a female as an advantage thanx

Alien Gunfighter wrote:


Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment. No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Now thats "TRANSVIRTUAL FREAKY" I'm freaked out about that one

eeuuwwh!!!!
Did the experience make you a "transvirtual-phobe"

Liberty's Edge

I wanna do a female P. C. now. I usually am a dude, but I just had an idear that might be good for, like, roleplaying and all.
In a shrill, nasally voice, my pixieish fighter announces, "They call me Slake-moth Sally. Cause I'm your worst (bleeping) nightmare!"
And, it would totally lose the effect I'm going for if it was a dude.


Byron Zibeck wrote:
Sounds like you need to find some new people to game with if you ask me.

Heh. Yeah, it would seem so. My particular problems are that I'm in the military (I move around A LOT) and I'm a relatively senior guy. This means that 1) who is available is all that's available, and 2) I have to enforce the dividing line between NCO and non-NCO. Not much to pick from after that. In fact, I don't think I've played an actual game in close to five years.

Luckily, I have online games...


Heathansson wrote:
In a shrill, nasally voice, my pixieish fighter announces, "They call me Slake-moth Sally. Cause I'm your worst (bleeping) nightmare!"

If you want to see a nasty female pixie, check out the "Poison Elves" comics. A pixie drenched in the blood of her enemies will turn your whole world around.


Heathansson wrote:
I wanna do a female P. C. now. I usually am a dude, but I just had an idear that might be good for, like, roleplaying and all. In a shrill, nasally voice, my pixieish fighter announces, "They call me Slake-moth Sally. Cause I'm your worst (bleeping) nightmare!" And, it would totally lose the effect I'm going for if it was a dude.

Sometimes you get an idea for a character and just have to run with it, male, female, half-dragon warforged, or whatever.

The main reason for transvirtualism I've seen, though, is that if you're playing with a group of guys, after a few campaigns it's REALLY bizarre to have repeated female-less game worlds. Somebody just needs to take one for the team and play a female every now and then.


HELLFINGER wrote:
maybe we could call them "guys who playes females, ugh!" or maybe "RPG transexuals"?
The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
Uhhhh... I'd just say something like "guy with a female character" or "chick with a male character."

How about roleplayers?

:)


If I play a character I've always played it same gender as the patron deity. I find it easier to get into character that way.

Liberty's Edge

Tatterdemalion wrote:
HELLFINGER wrote:
maybe we could call them "guys who playes females, ugh!" or maybe "RPG transexuals"?
The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
Uhhhh... I'd just say something like "guy with a female character" or "chick with a male character."

How about roleplayers?

:)

Good point. I should have thought of that before. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm just not snarky enough...

Liberty's Edge

Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"), or

2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment. No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Now I'M uncomfortable. No gorramn comment...


Tatterdemalion wrote:

How can the gender of an imaginary character be a more important characteristic than others? If I play Thrunk the dim-witted barbarian from Cimmeria, no one thinks I want to be stupid, or that I want to kill people, or that I want to change my name. But if I play a female character -- whoa! Why the special attention?

So forgive my disapproval, but I think the word transvirtual fuels a perception that crossing gender lines in RPGs is uniquely peculiar.

Well considering the comments on the other thread of playing characters of different gender, it seems indeed like gender is a big issue, bigger than race or such. Most likely because we the players come with all kinds of baggage about genders while few real people have any issue about elves or dwarves (that said, I know one guy who is well over 6 ft tall and robust and loves to play gnomes, leprechauns and other wee folk...he typically raises some eyebrows too).

So whether we like it ir not, it is an issue so having a term on that makes sense. Though just as easily we should come up with a term describing those people who refuse to play any characters of different gender...


I don't allow transvirtual gaming in my group if only because players can't speak a single phrase straight (the verbs and nouns are affected by the gender of the speaker in Hebrew) which turns even the wisest player into a stuttering idiot (and my players aren't that smart to begin with...)

Also, the only difference between females and males in modern fantasy is aesthetic anyway, so why bother anyway?


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I guess I am Transvirtual curious...I have only played a couple of female PCs. But in each one of those situations, it was because the character seemed to work better that way. My last female character even had the choice to be male (it was a changling from Ebberon).


My own gaming table is a pretty diverse microcosm with respect to character types, and who's likely/unlikely to play what. I consider myself a flexible player, who likes to play a male or female character. I make a rule never to play the same class twice.

Some of our gamers simply play their own gender for simplicity, ease, whatever. But we have a few others who enjoy the unique experience of playing an opposite gender. D&D is a pretty safe environment to give this a whirl, and it is just one more facet in character roleplaying to explore, along with race, class, etc.

So, I'm a transvirtual, and proud of it!

The Exchange

Its just wrong, when i DM the males play males and the females play females or they dont play!


Mattaus wrote:
Its just wrong, when i DM the males play males and the females play females or they dont play!

Where do you draw the line? Do you also restrict playing non-humans (especially asexual changelings), or alignments (depending upon the player's personality) or classes that you just happen to dislike?

As a DM I try very hard not to let my own sensibilities get in the way of another player's fun (though to be fair, the DM's fun is also important).

For the sake of discussion :)

Jack


Pathfinder Maps Subscriber
Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Sorry, but in my experience guys who play girls are either--

1) Weirdos who've never had a girlfriend and are playing out some bizarre sexual fantasy about how women act ("I thrust my huge breasts in his face!"),

So not me.

Alien Gunfighter wrote:
or 2) Power gamers looking for an advantage ("I have a Charisma of 18! There's no way he can resist my charms and not give me his vorpal sword!").

Also so not me.

Alien Gunfighter wrote:

Once I had some 300 lb. zit-faced geek tell me his female character was "whispering seductively in my ear." Talk about an uncomfortable moment.

Maybe his character thought you were hot.

Alien Gunfighter wrote:
No wonder people prefer Warcraft.

Sure, it's easier. It's sort of like sitting on the couch and watching TV rather than actually going through all the steps of creating the program.

Apology accepted,
GGG

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mattaus wrote:
Its just wrong, when i DM the males play males and the females play females or they dont play!

Ouch! That's pretty harsh. I guess I wouldn't be playing in your game then. I try to alternate gender with every other character I play. I also play DDO and half my characters are of each gender. Sometimes my wife wonders why I like playing female characters; I'm going to refer her to James' editorial! It was well-written and hit the nail on the head.

I hope that you might reconsider your restriction. It's a game that is designed to allow us to be someone other than who we really are; that's the point. Why not allow players to cross that gender boundry as well?

Actually, I'd be interested to find out how many forum posters out there are "transvirtuals" and how many are not! Might be a good poll.

Lantern Lodge

Mattaus wrote:
Its just wrong, when i DM the males play males and the females play females or they dont play!

So dose that mean every NPC is (Insert whatever your gender is here)? Kinda odd don't cha think? Sorry, a little cheap fun at your expence, but it dose get to what I was going mention.

As stated by others who have been DM's, we are in a sence, kinda transvirtual by nature depending on how involved you get as an NPC. It's just roleplaying and a bit of creativity. I mean some one has to play the barmaid with the hidden information, or the cut throat assasin and his illithid master, or the amazon queen, or that old begger dude, etc. Same goes for players, in fact I'm sure that there are groups that might think it MORE akward not to have at least one character of the oposite gender ("Dude, what's with the sausage fest" etc.) That's just the irony and humor of variety. It's a different experience every time. Dosen't mean anything. I think everyone should also try DMing at least once as it ussually requires playing with and opposite your gender, and would probably help keep some understanding when playing the opposite gender.
Although on another note: if you think about it, were also inevitable playing god as a DM, but dose that mean we're maniacal gluttons for power? No, of course not,
...yes.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Wow. I’m so . . . sheltered? This is a topic?

I DM, so I “play” everything: males, females, orcs, goblins, grifters, bums, lords, dragons, angels, succubi, whatever the storyline calls for. I switch genders like hats. It never made me question my masculinity or raised an eyebrow among my players.

My players are mixed, three males and four females. All are in their 30’s or 40’s, some married like me, some not. Kids run in an out while we play. My players' characters are more often than not their own gender, but not always. Nobody freaks out about it.

None of the characters whose gender differs from their players' gender are gender stereotypes. The men don't play dumb blondes or bikini leather-and-chain fantasies. The women don't play misogynistic lugs who won't ask for directions. But if one of my players opted to play a gender stereotype, we'd all laugh along. Nobody would think anything of it.

On the other hand, sex is definitely a constant subject in play in the game. Well, less sexual activity than characters or NPCs being and acting sexy. (Love in the higher sense comes into play a lot too. My players use it as motivation for taking non-selfish action, sacrifice themselves, etc.) When a player playing the opposite gender tries to be sexy, there’s lots of laughter and bad jokes abound. But nobody believes the player is somehow deviant or manifesting secret emotional challenges. Come on. We roleplay. That means we escape from ourselves, play different people, play characters who are not our alter-egos all of the time. If you refuse to play someone of a different gender upon occasion, wouldn’t you needlessly limit the range of characters you could play?

So, again, I’m surprised this is a topic.


Ashenvale wrote:

Wow. I’m so . . . sheltered? This is a topic?

I DM, so I “play” everything: males, females, orcs, goblins, grifters, bums, lords, dragons, angels, succubi, whatever the storyline calls for. I switch genders like hats. It never made me question my masculinity or raised an eyebrow among my players.

My players are mixed, three males and four females. All are in their 30’s or 40’s, some married like me, some not. Kids run in an out while we play. My players' characters are more often than not their own gender, but not always. Nobody freaks out about it.

None of the characters whose gender differs from their players' gender are gender stereotypes. The men don't play dumb blondes or bikini leather-and-chain fantasies. The women don't play misogynistic lugs who won't ask for directions. But if one of my players opted to play a gender stereotype, we'd all laugh along. Nobody would think anything of it.

On the other hand, sex is definitely a constant subject in play in the game. Well, less sexual activity than characters or NPCs being and acting sexy. (Love in the higher sense comes into play a lot too. My players use it as motivation for taking non-selfish action, sacrifice themselves, etc.) When a player playing the opposite gender tries to be sexy, there’s lots of laughter and bad jokes abound. But nobody believes the player is somehow deviant or manifesting secret emotional challenges. Come on. We roleplay. That means we escape from ourselves, play different people, play characters who are not our alter-egos all of the time. If you refuse to play someone of a different gender upon occasion, wouldn’t you needlessly limit the range of characters you could play?

So, again, I’m surprised this is a topic.

Can I get in your game? Just joking, but thats how things play out in our group with trans gender gaming.

I agree you do needlessly limit the range of characters you could play?
Here is a real roleplaying challenge? Who has played a homosexual character?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Sir Kaikillah wrote:

Can I get in your game? Just joking, but thats how things play out in our group with trans gender gaming.

I agree you do needlessly limit the range of characters you could play?
Here is a real roleplaying challenge? Who has played a homosexual character?

Let me rephrase that: "Who has played a homosexual character who wasn't a raging lesbian?" ;)

I have, but didn't really enjoy it so much, it tends to soak up screen time, and gets old really fast.

Just saying...


TerraNova wrote:

Let me rephrase that: "Who has played a homosexual character who wasn't a raging lesbian?" ;)

I have, but didn't really enjoy it so much, it tends to soak up screen time, and gets old really fast.
Just saying...

One of the favorite characters I ever had was a human male bard named Felicia. While not homosexual, he was a transvestite. He was such a fun character to play because it was such a break from the norm of what my group had gotten accustomed to.


TerraNova wrote:
Sir Kaikillah wrote:

Can I get in your game? Just joking, but thats how things play out in our group with trans gender gaming.

I agree you do needlessly limit the range of characters you could play?
Here is a real roleplaying challenge? Who has played a homosexual character?

Let me rephrase that: "Who has played a homosexual character who wasn't a raging lesbian?" ;)

I have, but didn't really enjoy it so much, it tends to soak up screen time, and gets old really fast.

Just saying...

Good point. The only Homosexual PCs I have played were raging lesbians, when I was young and first tried playing female PCs. But honestly that grew stale quickly.

I have had NPC homosexual males in my game as a DM, but as far as male homosexuals PCs, have not gone thier. I do not see me having a homosexual PC (male or female), anytime soon.

I just think it is interesting that as a heterosexual male I have no problem playing a women even a homosexual women, but I am uncomfortable playing a male homosexual.


Sir Kaikillah wrote:
Here is a real roleplaying challenge? Who has played a homosexual character?

I am playing an urbane and courtly homosexual dwarven wizard. His tastes are expensive. He is loosely based on Simon Callow.


Sir Kaikillah wrote:
Who has played a homosexual character?

I've done it.

We have a member of our group that can only be described as a reactionary, narrow-minded bigot. The character was created to bug him. It worked really well :)

Though I have to say (and I think I'm sort of agreeing with others) that playing out sexuality gets old fast. In our experience it quickly detracts from the plot and game flow.


I played Spugnoir from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil as a very camp homosexual. My conversation was filled with innuendo and double entendre and I spoke like Kenneth Williams of the 'Carry on...' films fame.

Player: I wonder if I should try this armour on...

Spugnoir: Would you like me to hold your bag for you? I've got very warm hands...

It made all the players (male) very uncomfortable, enough for one to question my sexuality! I took this as a compliment to my roleplaying though. It never detracted players from the game as everything remained relevant. In fact, the players couldn't get enough of him and always looked forward to crossing paths with Hommlet's only 'out' homosexual.

Thought I'd better add that I know that all gay men don't act like this. But it was damned funny to do and those actors who have played camp roles are very memorable.


Orcwart wrote:
I played Spugnoir from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil as a very camp homosexual....

The name alone invites quite a few jokes... :P


Orcwart wrote:

I played Spugnoir from Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil as a very camp homosexual. My conversation was filled with innuendo and double entendre and I spoke like Kenneth Williams of the 'Carry on...' films fame.

Player: I wonder if I should try this armour on...

Spugnoir: Would you like me to hold your bag for you? I've got very warm hands...

It made all the players (male) very uncomfortable, enough for one to question my sexuality! I took this as a compliment to my roleplaying though. It never detracted players from the game as everything remained relevant. In fact, the players couldn't get enough of him and always looked forward to crossing paths with Hommlet's only 'out' homosexual.

Thought I'd better add that I know that all gay men don't act like this. But it was damned funny to do and those actors who have played camp roles are very memorable.

Thats a cool character.


Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:


Thats a cool character.

Thank you. :D


In the game I DM, one of the players is my girlfriend's sister. She plays a sex crazed male bard.

I won't lie, it can get pretty awkward when you have your girlfriend's sister pretending to be a guy and fake hitting on you in front of your girlfriend while you're pretending to be a woman. That said, it never occurred to me to disallow her PC concept. As far as I'm concerned you pretty much sign up for weird situations like that when you choose to play D&D.

Dark Archive Contributor

kahoolin wrote:

In the game I DM, one of the players is my girlfriend's sister. She plays a sex crazed male bard.

I won't lie, it can get pretty awkward when you have your girlfriend's sister pretending to be a guy and fake hitting on you in front of your girlfriend while you're pretending to be a woman. That said, it never occurred to me to disallow her PC concept. As far as I'm concerned you pretty much sign up for weird situations like that when you choose to play D&D.

In a recent Call of Cthulhu campaign that just wrapped up, my girlfriend played a gay cowboy from Texas. I kept waiting for her character to hit on my ruggedly handsome, pudgy French linguist, but sadly that never occurred. :\


Mike McArtor wrote:
In a recent Call of Cthulhu campaign that just wrapped up, my girlfriend played a gay cowboy from Texas. I kept waiting for her character to hit on my ruggedly handsome, pudgy French linguist, but sadly that never occurred. :\

That's because he wasn't a cunning liguist. ;)

1 to 50 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / Books & Magazines / Dungeon Magazine / General Discussion / Transvirtuals All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.