Soller Vark Underskilled


Savage Tide Adventure Path


OK, so I just started looking at increasing the CRs for the NPCs in There is No Honor. First NPC I run into that the characters will be fighting...Soller Vark.

Human Warrior 2 with a 10 Int.

Looks like you forgot to put the +4 skill points at L1 and +1 skill point per level for being a human. He is 5 points low on skills.

I'll have to check the rest of them over closer, now.


Chris Manos wrote:
I'll have to check the rest of them over closer, now.

I have found that the challenges are pretty stiff for first levels. The party will have to use more then brawn to get around Mr. Vark and his skallywags to find the ring on the Blue Nixie.

I would not bump or fix Soller Vark, you just might make him unbeatable.

Dark Archive

I noticed this as well - and the accompanying goons on the ship have too few hit points, and their Reflex saves are too low.

But I agree, they might be too tough if fixed.


Last Saturday my players went up against Soller Vark and his crew. Despite ambushing the smugglers, the players nearly lost two pcs, twice, and one other pc who managed to survive with just 1 hp. The fourth pc took no damage thanks to staying at long-range with a bow.

Granted, the players had an unusual bad streak of luck and I was incredibly lucky on the damage dice rolling (max damage at least 5 times, including one critical), but even then, Vark with his 19 hp and decent AC and attack modifier is very troublesome. Fortunately for the players, they got off the ship before the rhagodessa was upon them.

You can change the npcs if you want, but Vark is only supposed to a CR one higher than the group's average level. Good luck.

CB out.


I'm doing something a little different and will be starting with 7 L4 characters. Things will be bumped.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Chris Manos wrote:

Looks like you forgot to put the +4 skill points at L1 and +1 skill point per level for being a human. He is 5 points low on skills.

I'll have to check the rest of them over closer, now.

Why would you possibly care? Your players aren't going to edit his skills in the 2-3 rounds of life he'll have once they start fighting him. Unless it's something combat relevant (like concentration for a wizard) I'd just let it go.

Actually, having looked closer, I'd recommend giving him 6 ranks of Profession (sailor) so he knows how to sail that ship!

Liberty's Edge

Chris Manos wrote:

I'm doing something a little different and will be starting with 7 L4 characters. Things will be bumped.

I might be doing something like that...

What do you have in mind for Parrot Island, out of curiosity?
I was thinking gravetouched ghouls for the zombies, with levelups, and keep the huecuva as a huecuva with levelups as well.


Heathansson wrote:
Chris Manos wrote:

I'm doing something a little different and will be starting with 7 L4 characters. Things will be bumped.

I might be doing something like that...

What do you have in mind for Parrot Island, out of curiosity?
I was thinking gravetouched ghouls for the zombies, with levelups, and keep the huecuva as a huecuva with levelups as well.

Haven't gotten that far yet


Qualidar wrote:
Why would you possibly care?

Nice attitude, dude. Thanks for the friendly advice.

The reason I care is I want to make it a challenge for the characters I have without starting them all over again from L1. That is the reason I am upping the encounter level. I want to make the combat last longer than 2-3 rounds. Maybe not make it the overpowering encounter it was written to be, but a little bit more of a challenge.

Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / Books & Magazines / Dungeon Magazine / Savage Tide Adventure Path / Soller Vark Underskilled All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Savage Tide Adventure Path