Booster Pack Content


Accessories

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Question: is it true that Item Pack 2 boosters contain Item Pack 1 cards as indicated by the review by Paul Wilson on the description page:
http://paizo.com/store/paizo/gameMastery/itemPacks/v5748btpy7pew ???


DitheringFool wrote:

Question: is it true that Item Pack 2 boosters contain Item Pack 1 cards as indicated by the review by Paul Wilson on the description page:

http://paizo.com/store/paizo/gameMastery/itemPacks/v5748btpy7pew ???

Hmmm. That's kinda lame. I've got a box of Item Pack 2 boosters on order, which I still plan on getting. I was going to pick up another deck of Item Pack 1, but if those cards are in the IP2 set, then there's really no need. I do feel a bit jipped if I get a bunch of cards from the first set though, as I was looking forward to all new artwork.

*Edit*
After further review of the Item Pack page, the description for Item Pack 2 is different than the other sets. Both IP3: Relics of War and IP4: Dragon's Trove has the following descriptor:

contains 110 all-new playing-card–sized cards

As opposed to IP2: Hero's Horde which omits the "all-new" reference:

Hero’s Hoard contains 110 playing-card–sized cards

Paizo Employee Director of Game Design

Hey there Everybody,

So, here is the deal with Hero's Hoard. 33 of the 54 cards from Item Pack 1 are reprinted in this set. This was done for a number of reasons, but in the end, we wanted to make sure that you got some copies of some of the items in that set. This means that 77 of the 110 cards in Hero's Hoard are brand spanking new. This pattern will not be repeated in future sets. Relics of War and Dragon's Trove are both all new.

Each booster does have a set mix, containing the following:

2 Potions
2 Wondrous Items
2 Weapons
1 Armor
1 Wand
1 Scroll
1 Rod, Staff, or Ring
1 Foil

The foils are drawn from the full set of 110 meaning that it is possible to get the a duplicate in one pack, but it is relatively unlikely (roughly 1 in 11). We opened up a number of displays and in each one we ended up about 15 cards or so shy of a complete set, with no more than 3 of any card.

This is a new product type for us so I would be very happy to hear about your experiences to help us make a better product in the future. It seems like Paul may have gotten an unlucky display and I am certainly hoping this is the case. Please let me know either here or directly at the address below.

Jason Bulmahn
Item Pack Guru
jason.bulmahn@paizo.com


Since I am not at GenCon, I will have to wait for mine to ship when you all get back to the office. ;-( I will save any real reviewing until then.

However, I was hoping that there would be more potions in the mix. In your average treasure to be found, there are way more potions than anything else from the list above. Just look at the potion ratio in the last Dungeon Adventure Path, Age Of Worms (which I am currently running). It would be nice to have 3 or 4 potions in each pack.


As I see it there is no issue with having multiple copies of the same card. If you have enough of the potion that looks like a blue konga(yes, I know y'all are looking at me asking "What's a Konga?")...those can be heal potions... I don't think people are going to be complaining that their heal potion is the same as someone elses. Heck, our DM has gone so far as to give potions specific colors and tastes, rewarding those who keep track of such things....granted...I'm waiting for him to be a Rat Bastard and make dark brown poisons that smell of almonds....

So you get some of the same cards. I don't care. Under my initial belief that these were specific items...that may suck, but considering you can writeon the back and make them whatever you want, who cares if you have multiples....


Jason Bulmahn wrote:
So, here is the deal with Hero's Hoard. 33 of the 54 cards from Item Pack 1 are reprinted in this set. This was done for a number of reasons, but in the end, we wanted to make sure that you got some copies of some of the items in that set. This means that 77 of the 110 cards in Hero's Hoard are brand spanking new.

Hi Jason,

I'm a big fan of the Item Pack concept, and preordered a display of Item Pack 2 to go along with the two Item Pack 1 starters I bought. I even hung out with Jeremy at the Paizo booth for a few minutes to talk them up with other people at Gen Con. I got one booster at the booth along with some other stuff.

I was REALLY disappointed to open that pack and find 5 of the 11 cards were reprints from Item Pack 1. My enthusiasm for the display of boosters on the way has also significantly dimmed.

I feel like I've been tricked. It should not take a word sleuth noticing that the words "all-new" are missing from the product description for customers to know what they are getting from this kind of purchase.

Sincerely,
Derek

Paizo Employee Director of Game Design

Derek Poppink wrote:
Jason Bulmahn wrote:
So, here is the deal with Hero's Hoard. 33 of the 54 cards from Item Pack 1 are reprinted in this set. This was done for a number of reasons, but in the end, we wanted to make sure that you got some copies of some of the items in that set. This means that 77 of the 110 cards in Hero's Hoard are brand spanking new.

Hi Jason,

I'm a big fan of the Item Pack concept, and preordered a display of Item Pack 2 to go along with the two Item Pack 1 starters I bought. I even hung out with Jeremy at the Paizo booth for a few minutes to talk them up with other people at Gen Con. I got one booster at the booth along with some other stuff.

I was REALLY disappointed to open that pack and find 5 of the 11 cards were reprints from Item Pack 1. My enthusiasm for the display of boosters on the way has also significantly dimmed.

I feel like I've been tricked. It should not take a word sleuth noticing that the words "all-new" are missing from the product description for customers to know what they are getting from this kind of purchase.

Sincerely,
Derek

Derek,

I am truly sorry that this happened to you. To be completely honest, 33 or the 110 cards in the set are reprints from Set 1. We requested that no pack contain more than 3 from the first set, but collation can be a cruel mistress sometimes. Rest assured that this is not a mistake we will be repeating. From here on forward, all of the boosters sets are completely unique.

Mind you, we also figured that some of the items might be valuable if you have a few copies. Potions of cure light wounds come to mind. Sorry you feel cheated and rest assured that this is a problem we are aiming to correct.

Jason Bulmahn
Item Card Guru


I would love to see an all potion and scroll item pack, they could even be the potion and scroll cards from set 1. I'd probably be apt to buy more of those than any other type of pack.


I'm very excited about this new product, and purchased 4 packs of IP1, but like D&D minis, I'm not going to buy random placement products. It's far easier to go third party and get exactly what you want without knowing you paid for card/minis you don't want, even if you have to pay more to get them. Give the people what they want, not how lucky they can be.

Scarab Sages

Just to throw in my 2 coppers....

I bought and entire box of boosters. I am slightly dissapointed in that, if you buy a box you are not guaranteed a complete set. I am short by 10 cards, and I have 29 doubles. Not enough to keep me from buying them, because I do really like the concept, but enough for a minor dissapointment.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Temmogen wrote:

Just to throw in my 2 coppers....

I bought and entire box of boosters. I am slightly dissapointed in that, if you buy a box you are not guaranteed a complete set. I am short by 10 cards, and I have 29 doubles. Not enough to keep me from buying them, because I do really like the concept, but enough for a minor dissapointment.

Now that we've had a chance to analyze Hero's Hoard, we're able to make some changes to the card distribution that will make it easier to complete a set. It's too late to make those changes for Relics of War, but you may find it easier starting with Dragon's Trove.

-Vic.
.


OK, I didn't buy a box, but I'll put in my 2 fish.

5 Boosters.

Shortbow A
Shortbow B
Bolts
Arrows
Lance
Longsword A
Longsword A Foil
Longsword B
Dagger
Mace
Warhammer Foil
Flail
Platemail x2 (same)
Leather Suit
Chain Mail
Half-Plate
Wooden Shield
5 Wands - All different
1 Staff
1 Rod
10 Potions, all but 2 different
5 Scrolls, all different
3 Rings
Bag
Belt
2 Boots (different)
Book
Bottle
Bracers
Cloak
Headband - Foil
Periapt
Robe x2 (same 1 foil)


I hope this doesn't come across too harshly, but how many booster packs for Relics of War will I have to purchase before I get a copy of card #110, the Withered Hand?

I really feel that each Item Card series should include the option to purchase booster packs in addition to a complete set, not just booster packs.

I'm pretty happy with my set of Item Cards 1 and display box of Item Cards 2, but I would hate to try to get a single card from a series with the only option for purchase is either a random booster pack or an expensive display box of random booster packs.

PS - Please consider semi-printer-friendly PDF versions before we spend too much money chasing after single cards.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Amaril wrote:
I really feel that each Item Card series should include the option to purchase booster packs in addition to a complete set, not just booster packs.

I'm starting to agree... I bought a display and then 4 boosters and I'm still missing 18 cards. I know these aren't collectibles but it is inevitable the one card I want is missing. And the prospect of buying tons more boosters in hopes of getting the few is despairing. Thank goodness the Mundane Items Pack is a fixed deck!

Are you guys going to be offering singles or "Potion Packs" and the likes here at paizo.com?

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Accessories / Booster Pack Content All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Accessories