Place Your Rant Here


Gamer Life General Discussion

2,851 to 2,900 of 3,910 << first < prev | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

primadonna829 wrote:


I think I am a completely sucky bard. You should definitly fill that position whenever we make new characters for whatever game. I guess I just need to sit down and read. anybody wanna hold a study session?

I think you do just fine as a bard. If you ever want any help making any kind of character you can think of, however, just let me know what you want and I am totally down with helping you make it happen.

For the next campaign out there, I think it would be a good idea for us to create an adventuring company, all at once, instead of people just saying, "I wanna be this." That way, we can create a group of characters that will work very well together from the beginning.

Dark Archive

Sorry for threadjacking: back to the rants. (Insert obscure Dennis Miller reference here.)


kikai13 wrote:
primadonna829 wrote:


I think I am a completely sucky bard. You should definitly fill that position whenever we make new characters for whatever game. I guess I just need to sit down and read. anybody wanna hold a study session?

I think you do just fine as a bard. If you ever want any help making any kind of character you can think of, however, just let me know what you want and I am totally down with helping you make it happen.

For the next campaign out there, I think it would be a good idea for us to create an adventuring company, all at once, instead of people just saying, "I wanna be this." That way, we can create a group of characters that will work very well together from the beginning.

yeah, thanks. that would be great. and I like the idea of creating an adventuring party.


my turn. I am completely sucky at roleplaying. I can never think of anything to say at the right time!

I don't know if I should just get buzzed? but then I am not a chatty drunk. I am getting better at planning my moves, but I feel like I just sit there the rest of the time. I love acting, but I was always horrible at the improve stuff. what do I need to do?


primadonna829 wrote:

my turn. I am completely sucky at roleplaying. I can never think of anything to say at the right time!

I don't know if I should just get buzzed? but then I am not a chatty drunk. I am getting better at planning my moves, but I feel like I just sit there the rest of the time. I love acting, but I was always horrible at the improve stuff. what do I need to do?

Don't think about what you're going to say - just say it. One of my long-time players has a habit of overplanning EVERYTHING he does, even when he's gaming. Spend 15 minutes before game getting into character, then come up with faux situations that your character might get tossed into and think about what your character's response might be.

The Exchange

primadonna829 wrote:

my turn. I am completely sucky at roleplaying. I can never think of anything to say at the right time!

I don't know if I should just get buzzed? but then I am not a chatty drunk. I am getting better at planning my moves, but I feel like I just sit there the rest of the time. I love acting, but I was always horrible at the improve stuff. what do I need to do?

I am gonna start a "Help me roleplay better" thread. I have a few suggestions to start it and I am sure that Lilith will throw some "Zen and the art...." into it. See ya there!

FH

Liberty's Edge

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of reading
"get over it. It's just a freaking magazine. God, why don't you get a grip?" posts.
I'll get a grip when I want to get a grip, thankyou.

Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Heathansson wrote:

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of reading

"get over it. It's just a freaking magazine. God, why don't you get a grip?" posts.
I'll get a grip when I want to get a grip, thankyou.

Sheesh! You've already GOT a grip! See that thing above every one of your posts? The thing that says 'Heathansson'? What's that called? That's right, a 'handle.' What do you DO with a handle?

I rest my case.

Dark Archive

primadonna829 wrote:

my turn. I am completely sucky at roleplaying. I can never think of anything to say at the right time!

I don't know if I should just get buzzed? but then I am not a chatty drunk. I am getting better at planning my moves, but I feel like I just sit there the rest of the time. I love acting, but I was always horrible at the improve stuff. what do I need to do?

First off--I don't think you are sucky at roleplaying at all! But if you want to get more involved, do it. Don't ever be afraid to jump in and do stuff or insert yourself into the action or conversation. If you are afraid you are going to "mess up," DON'T BE!! There really is no messing up in the game! Like the Nike commercial--just do it! The important part is that you have fun!


hey i don't see why you can say that a 2.0 rule apllies to 3.5 and I see where your coming from with not allowing some things that i get even some races. For instance i don't allow players to use alot of feats and some spells that i deem to powerful i.e. (crushing fist of spite, Vengful gaze of god). but i allow all races Nerra to Hellbred.

Liberty's Edge

So I got a letter in the mail last night – a fine for $1700 for failure to attend jury duty back in January.

Only I never got any notice to tell me to attend jury duty in January, or indeed any notice to tell me that I’d been added to the jury roll for that period.

So I gave them a call today, and after being on hold for 15 minutes (separate rant) I finally spoke to someone.

Yes, they had sent me a notice that I was on the jury roll. Yes they had sent me a notice to tell me I was required for jury duty. Yes, they sent me a letter asking me why I had not attended jury duty. And when I did not respond to any of them, they sent me the fine.

Oh, but hang on, they sent all those other letters to an old address, a place I moved out of 19 months ago.

Me: “So how was I supposed to know to notify the sheriff’s office that I had moved so they could send the notices to my current address?”

Call Centre: “Oh, that’s done automatically when you update your details on the electoral roll.”

Me: “But I did that like a year ago!”

Call Centre: “Yes, but they only send us the updated information once a year – we must have received it after sending out your notices.”

So they obviously got returned mail when they sent the letters to an incorrect address, but as soon as they wanted to issue me a fine – get money off me – they go to the trouble of updating my address then.

Nice.

Liberty's Edge

Oh, man that sucks.
I hate them.
I used to not register to vote to avoid jury duty, but now they do it with my driver's license.


Can you believe gas is up to $3 a gallon?!

I spent the last four months in a secret Russian prison in Kazakhstan, living off grubs and dirty rainwater (at least they let me keep my laptop); and after barely making it home aboard a Malaysian freighter, jammed in a crate full of medical waste, I come home to this?

Screw it! I'm going back!


Rant; Scream; PURGE; Jump up and down, Blather, ARGH! Ever have one of those day that no matter what your doing, you would rather be doing anything else. Sheesh, I need a change of scenery.


Hierophantasm wrote:
Can you believe gas is up to $3 a gallon?!

...it's $3.59 a gallon in Bend, Oregon. >.<

And Valegrim, I totally understand. Sleep sounds so much better than working right now. :)


Mothman wrote:

So I got a letter in the mail last night – a fine for $1700 for failure to attend jury duty back in January.

Only I never got any notice to tell me to attend jury duty in January, or indeed any notice to tell me that I’d been added to the jury roll for that period.

So I gave them a call today, and after being on hold for 15 minutes (separate rant) I finally spoke to someone.

Yes, they had sent me a notice that I was on the jury roll. Yes they had sent me a notice to tell me I was required for jury duty. Yes, they sent me a letter asking me why I had not attended jury duty. And when I did not respond to any of them, they sent me the fine.

Oh, but hang on, they sent all those other letters to an old address, a place I moved out of 19 months ago.

Me: “So how was I supposed to know to notify the sheriff’s office that I had moved so they could send the notices to my current address?”

Call Centre: “Oh, that’s done automatically when you update your details on the electoral roll.”

Me: “But I did that like a year ago!”

Call Centre: “Yes, but they only send us the updated information once a year – we must have received it after sending out your notices.”

So they obviously got returned mail when they sent the letters to an incorrect address, but as soon as they wanted to issue me a fine – get money off me – they go to the trouble of updating my address then.

Nice.

I'm not familiar with the legal sytem in the U.S., but here in Canada, I think a court order would be delivered by some type of courrier that requires a signature from the recipient. No signature = no reception of said notice, so I would believe that you are not at fault here. Also, like you said, when they finally got around to wanting money from you, they sure got the right address in a hurry. I'm sure someone here can give you better legal advice than me, but I would suggest fighting it (I would).

Ultradan

Liberty's Edge

Lilith wrote:
Hierophantasm wrote:
Can you believe gas is up to $3 a gallon?!

...it's $3.59 a gallon in Bend, Oregon. >.<

And Valegrim, I totally understand. Sleep sounds so much better than working right now. :)

Last time I checked, it was $3.91 in Ticonderoga, NY. However, that was a couple of weeks ago, and I technically shouldn't be worrying about it, because I don't own a car.

Paizo Employee Sales Associate

The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
Last time I checked, it was $3.91 in Ticonderoga, NY. However, that was a couple of weeks ago, and I technically shouldn't be worrying about it, because I don't own a car.

Me, neither.

However, ridiculous gas prices have an elevating effect on the price of... well... everything else.

Liberty's Edge

Cosmo wrote:
The Eldritch Mr. Shiny wrote:
Last time I checked, it was $3.91 in Ticonderoga, NY. However, that was a couple of weeks ago, and I technically shouldn't be worrying about it, because I don't own a car.

Me, neither.

I just mooch rides into town, then walk to where I need to go.


well gas here is 3.29-3.49; but I drove to AZ a couple weeks ago and it was 3.11 in Tuscon and surrounding areas; what gives; somebody is getting rich and it isnt me; well; not like we have alternative fuel sources we can turn to; no, that would make to much sense.

Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Hierophantasm wrote:
I spent the last four months in a secret Russian prison in Kazakhstan, living off grubs and dirty rainwater (at least they let me keep my laptop);

It looks like you were fortunate enough to be in a prison located next a Starbucks with free WiFi. Damn, those things are EVERYWHERE now...

The Exchange

Valegrim wrote:
well; not like we have alternative fuel sources we can turn to; no, that would make to much sense.

Sure we do! But we have a government that has "special interests" in oil and oil manufacturers to ever make alternative fuel a viable option.

Here is a water-powered vehicle, the government has decided to "investigate" the possibility of using this technology, just like the carburators that someone in the 50's invented that let cars get around 100mpg. What the government means to say is "we can't really charge outrageous prices for water as that is necessary for life, so we need to figure out how to make an additive that is "needed"(and will probably cause cancer if inhaled as exhaust) for this to work so you, the sheep, will still have to pay us for it". God forbid we just find a cheap(or almost free!) means of getting from point A to point B. There are a couple of other clips of this waterpowered car stuff on YouTube that you can find.

Baaaa
FH


As far as gas prices go, I'm not quite sure of exact figures down here in CT, but it took $30 to fill half a tank of gas for me. And I drive a freaking 1991 Ford Contour. Not exactly a heavyweight by any means. The upside is, though, that even if it is a tad bit expensive, fuel efficiency is pretty great. Even if I don't look as special as my friend with his huge Jeep, I've got a bit more pocket cash.

Liberty's Edge

Fatespinner wrote:
Hierophantasm wrote:
I spent the last four months in a secret Russian prison in Kazakhstan, living off grubs and dirty rainwater (at least they let me keep my laptop);
It looks like you were fortunate enough to be in a prison located next a Starbucks with free WiFi. Damn, those things are EVERYWHERE now...

Say, Billy, have you ever seen the inside of a Turkish prison?

Have you ever seen a grown man nekkid?

Do you like movies with gladiators?

Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

James Keegan wrote:
Not exactly a heavyweight by any means. The upside is, though, that even if it is a tad bit expensive, fuel efficiency is pretty great. Even if I don't look as special as my friend with his huge Jeep, I've got a bit more pocket cash.

Amen to that. My tank is roughly $30 to fill as well and I drive a Suzuki Aerio. I bought it pretty much specifically BECAUSE of the good gas mileage. I can go an entire week, including weekends, on one tank and I live 12 miles from where I work.


Hoping to get a Hybrid car someday.


Lilith wrote:
Hoping to get a Hybrid car someday.

Me too, assuming I end up living somewhere where I need a car. I'm hoping auto makers will continue refining the design so that the electric portion is used for more than just the a/c.

Liberty's Edge

Ultradan wrote:

I'm not familiar with the legal sytem in the U.S., but here in Canada, I think a court order would be delivered by some type of courrier that requires a signature from the recipient. No signature = no reception of said notice, so I would believe that you are not at fault here. Also, like you said, when they finally got around to wanting money from you, they sure got the right address in a hurry. I'm sure someone here can give you better legal advice than me, but I would suggest fighting it (I would).

Ultradan

I'm in Australia actually, and apparently there is no need for them to get a signature of receipt - they just trust in the postal service (good call on that one!)

Well, I am fighting it. I have provided them with proof that I was not living at the address they sent the letters to at the time they sent them, and that I changed my details on the electerol roll. You'd think that would automatically cancel the fine, but no, they need to "consider my application" ... if they still decide to fine me anyway, THEN I'm taking it to court.

Liberty's Edge

Shoot. I thought you were in the U.S.A. as well.
It sounds like the kinda crap they'd pull here too.

Dark Archive

Valegrim wrote:
well gas here is 3.29-3.49; but I drove to AZ a couple weeks ago and it was 3.11 in Tuscon and surrounding areas; what gives; somebody is getting rich and it isnt me; well; not like we have alternative fuel sources we can turn to; no, that would make to much sense.

It's $2.84 per gallon here in Moberly, Missouri. At first glance, you would think that would make me the lucky one, eh? But the rub of it to me is that the big, fat, oily oil corporations WANT me to feel lucky for ONLY paying $2.84 per gallon! That way they can RAPE people and make the people feel LUCKY for the experience!

Liberty's Edge

As it is, I've pulled "alternate jury duty" twice.
Means I have to drive to work, call those bastards, and if they want me I have to leave work and go in. Wow, thanxs a lot for the "freedom" that that provides me.

Liberty's Edge

Heathansson wrote:

As it is, I've pulled "alternate jury duty" twice.

Means I have to drive to work, call those bastards, and if they want me I have to leave work and go in. Wow, thanxs a lot for the "freedom" that that provides me.

Wow. That's bad.

This was the first time I was summoned to jury duty. So far the experience hasn't been all I hoped...

Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

Why is America so f&%%ing stupid? Mike McArtor made a statement in another thread about the fact that some American HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES CANNOT EVEN LOCATE THE U.S.A. ON A GLOBE! How is this even remotely f&@!ing possible?!? I believe it, to be certain, but I don't COMPREHEND it. I know 3 year olds who can point out America on a globe. I know 5 year olds who can name all the state capitals (a talent I used to possess, but have since forgotten). How is it that people who are 17, 18, 19 years old and getting ready to enter (or have already entered) the workforce cannot even find their home country on a damn map?!?

I don't blame the teachers. It can't be their fault. This is something so basic it makes my eyes bleed. I blame parents. I blame the parents for not giving a rat's ass about their own kid and not making sure that they understand basic f+&@ing concepts of everyday living. I also blame the Department of Education for not making the requirements for graduation strict enough. I think that, instead of requiring a state-mandated graduation exam or any crap along those lines, children should be required to pass a comprehensive test at then end of EACH F%@$ING SCHOOL YEAR to continue on to the next grade. Screw this 'no child left behind' crap. If a child is mentally handicapped, has a learning disability, or something along those lines, they enter an 'alternative education program' not entirely dissimilar to the 'special education' classes we have today. They are judged on a different scale. If they're just f+#@ing STUPID, they don't DESERVE to continue on.

"Guess what, Billy. All your friends are moving on to the 5th grade this year but you're not because you can't grasp fundamental concepts. Say goodbye to your friends, Billy. You won't share another class with them again unless they get held back and you manage to advance."

Put the fear of God into these kids. School is not a damn social club. Sure, it can be, but that should be SECONDARY to the purposes of getting an EDUCATION. Threaten them with being held back, and base it on something more comprehensive. Raise the bar. A child can advance in the current school system as long as they manage to not get Fs in everything. You know what they call a 'C' grade? 'Satisfactory.' It means you did 'okay.' Why, then, should a 'D,' or 'Unsatisfactory' grade allow a student to continue advancing? If it's unsatisfactory, then make it F%%$ING UNSATISFACTORY!!!! Require a 2.0 GPA to advance grades. Give comprehensive tests at the end of each school year to enforce retention over time, not just one big one at the end of high school.

Okay, I'm done. Just needed to get that out there. Thanks.

Paizo Employee Sales Associate

Fatespinner wrote:

"Guess what, Billy. All your friends are moving on to the 5th grade this year but you're not because you can't grasp fundamental concepts. Say goodbye to your friends, Billy. You won't share another class with them again unless they get held back and you manage to advance."

Put the fear of God into these kids.

I hate backing an assertion with an anecdote, but... back when I was studying education, a professor listed the top three fears of elementary students:

  • 1) Loss of one or both parents.
  • 2) Going blind.
  • 3) Getting held back a grade.

    Out of everything that could scare these kids, the only things more terrifying to these students were a family death or blindness. If you ask any kid who has been held back what grade they are in, they'll tell you:

    "I'm in 8th grade, but I should be in 9th"

    It stays with them throughout their entire 12 years.

    So, fear is not the problem. The one who are going to be scared are already scared.

    The problem (IMHO) is class size. Which makes it a problem of money. If, in lieu of holding them back, we could put them on a new and different track that focuses on getting them up to competency with their classmates without attaching the stigma of "special ed" or being held back, then we could help these kids rather than marginalizing them. But this takes intensive, one-on-one, instruction and is very difficult for a public school teacher with 29 other kids (of varying scholastic levels) who are also needing his/her attention. With more teachers, we could get the kids the attention they need. More teachers at a much higher pay rate. A high enough pay rate that the greatest minds think first of teaching as a career, rather than engineering/programming/writing for Paizo/what have you.

    More money in education. That's what we need.

    But that's just my opinion...


  • You want a rant? I got a rant! I'm so freakin' tired of everybody griping about gas prices and then blaming the gas companies. Then they blame the government. Then the blame the car companies. Rubbish!

    The oil companies make an average of 8 cents/gallon. The government makes an average of FIFTY cents/gallon. The average retail profit is 18 cents/dollar. How is this the oil companies' fault? The government takes more than SIX TIMES as much. But how about blaming the environmentalists? They won't let us use nuclear power (even though contemporary reactor designs are completely safe), they won't let us exploit our own oil reserves (China and Cuba are drilling off the coast of Florida, but we can't touch it.), and they haven't let us build a new refinery for OVER 30 YEARS! There are only about 35 refineries in the U.S. and 30 of them have broken down this year alone. No supply and demand problems there (dripping with sarcasm)!

    And what about the car companies? The prias did not meet expectations in any respect, and it's the best-selling hybrid to date. Other designs have been underwhelming to say the least. In short, car companies can't make more efficient cars because NOBODY BUYS THEM. Current designs, even those oh-so-touted designs plastering the Internet, SUCK! But that's all changing, so relax and quit blaming the companies that are only doing what we pay them to do - provide the cars we like.

    And who's to blame about education? Try the N.E.A. - the National Education Association. They won't let schools enact any form of discipline (I recently had to sue my local primary school because my daughter was attacked - WHILE THREE TEACHERS WATCHED - and NEA- and federally-recommended discipline policies WOULDN'T ALLOW THEM TO INTERFERE UNTIL THEY FELT HER LIFE WAS THREATENED! What penalty did my daughter's attacker receive? He was given lunch-time detention for 3 days. Ridiculous! We don't allow discipline, we don't allow religion (God forbid schools should allow any system that teaches about right and wrong), and we don't allow teachers to do their jobs. We constantly gripe that they don't get paid enough - even though the average teacher gets paid above the state average. The NEA opposes every type of test for teacher quality. My son's teacher couldn't even do the simple division problems on my son's homework. When she gave him an incorrect grade, I had her do the problem AND SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW! And she's not alone - I know, because the superintendent is my sister-in-law. She can't fire the bad teachers because the teacher's union won't allow it.
    I could go on, but my blood pressure's rising. Go ahead. Argue with me. I'll be back when I feel better and I won't lose the debate. Make my day!

    Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

    Cosmo wrote:

    More teachers at a much higher pay rate. A high enough pay rate that the greatest minds think first of teaching as a career, rather than engineering/programming/writing for Paizo/what have you.

    More money in education. That's what we need.

    But that's just my opinion...

    Oh, and I absolutely agree. I know that being held back terrifies the crap out of a student. What I meant to suggest is that not enough of them are BEING held back. It's too easy to just slide on through to the next grade without a care in the world. I went to one of the dumbest high schools in America (I'm convinced of this). It was a rural school with class sizes not exceeding 15 students. We had everything that you're suggesting. Knowledgeable staff, motivated leadership, decent building with appropriate amenities, everything. The vast majority of students couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. Many of them were completely baffled by basic concepts. Few of them ever asked for help, either. Those that did received it, usually directly from the teacher. My high school's faculty should've serve as a damn STANDARD for America's education system. They really did seem to care about what they did (I was one of those students who hung around after class and chatted with my teachers about random stuff because they were interesting and knowledgeable people). My graduating class consisted of 58 people. 54 of us graduated. The other 4 were detained (they were the total slackers, the ones who spent lunch breaks smoking pot behind the building, skipping classes, and generally being a$@@++#s). Still, of the 54 that DID graduate, I feel that half of them did not deserve to. We talked about grades all the time. These kids got Ds and Fs on all kinds of things. They cheated on their homework from time to time. They were the bullies, the rich kids, and the farm boys who didn't have time for things like school. The year after I graduated, the 12th grade English teacher, an older lady who was SERIOUS about her work, committed suicide. She was one of the best teachers I had ever had. I have no reason to believe she took her own life for any other reason than the frustration I could always sense within her after every exam. Those of us who did well in her class were deeply saddened by this event. Those who had struggled laughed. They literally LAUGHED when they heard about it. I have never come closer to murder in all my life than I did when I heard their jibes. It shouldn't be this way. Not ever.

    Am I an educational elitist? Yeah, and I'm damn proud of it. Do I think that every student should achieve the same level of academic success that I did? No, but I think they should have to do a hell of a lot better than they're doing now.


    Fatespinner wrote:
    Why is America so f**%ing stupid? Mike McArtor made a statement in another thread about the fact that some American HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES CANNOT EVEN LOCATE THE U.S.A. ON A GLOBE! How is this even remotely f**%ing possible?!? I believe it, to be certain, but I don't COMPREHEND it. I know 3 year olds who can point out America on a globe. I know 5 year olds who can name all the state capitals (a talent I used to possess, but have since forgotten). How is it that people who are 17, 18, 19 years old and getting ready to enter (or have already entered) the workforce cannot even find their home country on a damn map?!?

    This is something I have been stating for years. Oh and let us please not forget other important things that have been dropped as "Not Important" Grammer and the usage of the english language in a fashion that is comprehensible by all. I do not be rapping about the homies and the OG's Fashizzle!!!! Oh and let us please not forget History...Or the fact that most people have no working concept of history, how it relates to us or some of the most signifigant events that have shaped us as a nation...Vietnam; Civil War; Korea; the Sixties; Reagan-nomics; Pearl Harbor; Iran-Contragate; I could go on but I would only raise my blood pressure more.

    Fatespinner wrote:
    I don't blame the teachers. It can't be their fault. This is something so basic it makes my eyes bleed. I blame parents. I blame the parents for not giving a rat's ass about their own kid and not making sure that they understand basic f**%ing concepts of everyday living. I also blame the Department of Education for not making the requirements for graduation strict enough. I think that, instead of requiring a state-mandated graduation exam or any crap along those lines, children should be required to pass a comprehensive test at then end of EACH f**%ING SCHOOL YEAR to continue on to the next grade. Screw this 'no child left behind' crap. If a child is mentally handicapped, has a learning disability, or something along those lines, they enter an 'alternative education program' not entirely dissimilar to the 'special education' classes we have today. They are judged on a different scale. If they're just f**%ing STUPID, they don't DESERVE to continue on.

    Well I hate to disagree but EVERYONE is at fault from the Parents for not taking part in the basic education of their children to the schools for complaining about not having enough money, getting the money and then not putting the money where it needs to be: NOT IN THEIR FRIGGEN POCKETS!!!!! When I can pull out one of my history books from college...20 DAMNED years ago and find more information in it then what passes for current updated information I have no choice but to wonder how that Bahama Buisness trip was!!!! I blame the teachers for not wanting to teach and/or putting up with the status quo. I blame the Damned Teachers Union for caring more about their pocket books then they do about the educational level of our students. As far as end of year tests I remember a time when we had to. I also watched them vanish before I left High School. I watched the IQ digression of our educational system from the time I entered Junior High to the time I left High School. You really want to impress me? Make the teachers take tests. The fact that all a teacher in most states is required to have in order to teach is a degree in education!!!! What the hell is that all about. I would make them get a Degree in whatever it was they were teaching and then require them to have a lesser degree in Education. Then pay them a flat rate of 10 dollars an hour with bonuses based on how their friggen students fare in their grades; with semester evaluations. Need I say more?

    Fatespinner wrote:
    Put the fear of God into these kids. School is not a damn social club. Sure, it can be, but that should be SECONDARY to the purposes of getting an EDUCATION....

    Why stop there. Put the fear of god in the students, the teachers, the school boards, and the parents. "Hey Mr. White. Last term we evaluated you on the status of the educational outcome of your students. At that time 25% of them were failing. You were placed on probation. This year the failure rate has increased by 10%...This is unacceptable to most of the free world therefore you are no longer viably employable by this system. GET OUT!!!!!!!!"


    I graduated from high school just over a year ago (as Salutatorian, thank you very much!). I concur that the general level of education in this country is so low it can induce aneurisms.

    However, I must greatly warn against just implementing tests and reviews. That's already done. It doesn't have quite the desired effect. We spent many, many days in school learning how to take tests and doing this and that so that the teacher could pass the evaluation, rather than just learning in general. So, that's not completely the answer.

    However, the truth is that, as was said before, nearly everyone is responsible, and the entire educational system needs and overhaul. But the deeper truth is that it's American society that needs an overhaul, and until that time, we're SOL when it comes to educational reforms that mean a damn.

    Kids are just shunted and skirted along so that incompotent teachers don't have to deal with them again. Bad teachers can't be fired, good teachers can't do a damned thing because of all the regulations, the school corporations try to run the institution like a business rather than a center of knowledge and learning, sports takes precedence over almost everything else despite being an enormous secondary priority (logically speaking), parents don't give a rats ass about their kids and their education becasue they're dumb as bricks as well, and politicians keep passing meaningless, ineffective laws so they can have the appearance of doing something and get votes for taking action, but never actualy waiting the required time to see the result. Instead, every few years, far too soon for any of the policies to take effect, we get a new one when new politicians come into office, which would destroy any chance of any given plan to actually work, provided they were compotent in the first place, which they aren't; they're just gimmicks to get votes. In the meanwhile, the schools then spend more time trying to make sure they pass muster for whatever new program is fashionable at the moment rather than just teaching.

    I recently went back and talked to my AP Biology teacher at my high school. I tell you, this school goes through science teachers at an alarming rate. She is one of the best teachers in the place, a brilliant, enthusiastic, and friendly woman who is the model of good teaching. However, the lazy ass students just want to sit in her class and gossip with each other like in every other class in that damned school. Not to mention that Biology involves a healthy mixture of math and language, in addition to introducing new concepts of its own. So, those who are barely making it in other classes (the majority, and typically only because the the corrupt whims of idiot teachers) find themselves forced to work at a complex subject which they have poor foundation on and one in which actual thinking is required (oh how their heads must hurt).

    Oh, and don't forget the bad religion in the area (there's good religion and bad religion- we've got the bad kind, full of fundamentalism, fear mongering, and intolerance). Biology (aka evolution) kinda runs counter to a lot of that directly.

    So what's the end result? The little brats run home to mommy and daddy and say that this lady isn't really teaching them. WHAT? BULL S**@! As a friend of hers, I can't believe that anyone would actually even listen to this load of crap. BUT THEY DO! The school board is actually entertaining the allegations, and she's in a whole quagmire trying to navigate through this political circus (and it is political). The stress is so much, and better teaching positions are available in other areas, that she's strongly considering leaving the school to go somewhere else. Which just leaves my old high school short one more quality teacher, a rare resource, and wallowing further in their own retardation.

    This isn't new, though. They've run out Biology teacher after teacher on baseless and ludicrous charges of anti-social behavior because of the politics in the school and the impenetrable shield of ignorance wrapped around the minds of the populace.

    What the hell is more important than educating the youth? What the f*$$ do these people think is going to happen with all these idiot masses? Education is ensuring our own future, but we seem to be too dumb to actually do that (and it's not a new phenomenon- really, it's amazing humans continue to exist).

    We must get politicians who are actually informed about education to pass legislation that makes sense and give it time to work. We must get school administrations to cut back their focus on sports, appearance, and business practices and focus on the only thing that matters- educating the world's (not just America's; I believe in global citizenry) youth. We need better quality control for teachers, and more pay for teachers, but all of this can only come with a more compotent administration. Just throwing more money into the situation as-is will not do anything positive. And yes, smaller class sizes would be great, as well.

    We need a country that isn't so freaking trigger happy about frivilous lawsuits and doesn't walk around with some damned sense that everyone is entitled to have everyone else kiss their ass. Then maybe teachers can take the necessary actions of disciplining their students.

    But most of all, we need parents and citizens who give a damn. More often than not, schooling will have little to no effect if the child does not come from a home where educations is promoted. And it is in everyone's interest to have and educated society.

    A more intelligent society makes better decisions for itself, and will make good choices of leadership, which means better politicians (we do have the power to control that, contrary to popular and ignorant belief; but you have to at least attempt to be honestly informed and participate in elections). Better politicians mean better policies and real reform. That means better education.

    Here's the Catch 22. Without better education, we can get that more intelligent society. Without that more intelligent society, we can't get better education.

    And when someone gets overwhelmed by it all and goes screaming down the streets, he's the crazy one!

    Liberty's Edge

    I hate when people come into my neighborhood, drive up to a house, and beep their freakin' car horn until whoever they're picking up comes out. On Sunday morning, no less.
    You know, to hell with everybody who lives here, they're unimportant. The only important thing is that I don't have to walk 30 feet to go ring a damn doorbell.
    A%**+%+.


    Heathansson wrote:

    I hate when people come into my neighborhood, drive up to a house, and beep their freakin' car horn until whoever they're picking up comes out. On Sunday morning, no less.

    You know, to hell with everybody who lives here, they're unimportant. The only important thing is that I don't have to walk 30 feet to go ring a damn doorbell.
    a!#!#&%.

    Seconded! A kid did that in front of my house once looking because he wanted to talk to my sister. I yelled at him to come up and ring the door bell. He petulantly asked if she were home. I said come up and find out. The waste of life drove away in a huff.

    As far as the education rant goes, I think we are just doomed. My wife is a biology teacher. She is usually disappointed with her classes because most of the students are not mature enough to care about their educations. Most of the parents are more worried about getting their kids to soccer games, buying them iPods etc...than they are concerned about whether the kids are doing homework.

    School boards are usually staffed with non-educators. It is a first step into politics for many members so they concern themselves with waht is good for their party's side or with their own advancement to other offices. Most never make it any further so they just hang around making a mess of things.

    Increasing spending will not guarantee better students. The damned lazy kids just have to decide to work harder. The city of Newark, NJ spends about twenty one thousand dollars per student per year. (that is not a misprint) In spite of that Newark schools perform poorly. A nearby suburban town in Morris spends less than a third of that but its students perform far better on tests and a higher percentage of them graduate.

    Test performance is not neccessarily an indication of performance, though. My wife has told me of various shenanigans that schools pull to manipulate the results. Also, the best teachers cannot make kids want to work. Evaluating the teachers only on how the students perform would have to take this into account.

    The nice thing about being completely cynical is that I am already less shocked than most people when things just seem to get worse.


    Heathansson wrote:

    I hate when people come into my neighborhood, drive up to a house, and beep their freakin' car horn until whoever they're picking up comes out. On Sunday morning, no less.

    You know, to hell with everybody who lives here, they're unimportant. The only important thing is that I don't have to walk 30 feet to go ring a damn doorbell.
    a*%!%&*.

    I so agree. I am incredibly tired of inconsiderate behaviour no matter what the circumstances.


    Having a kid puts some things in perspective. Things like: what happened to more than 4 straight hours of sleep? Isn't that included in the bill of rights somewhere? The human race has been procreating since our chimp ancestors were swinging from vines in Africa...none of them needed boppies, diaper genies, or 5 peice baby carrier systems. Really, is it all necessary? What ever happened to the mini van or station wagon to haul the kids around? Apparently neither of those options are good enough for the wife...and it's a battle not worth fighting...basically, my son gets an SUV to be chauffered around in. And finally, the kid already has a larger college tuition fund that i did when i sent my first tuition check to the University of Missouri back in 1995. There's something not right about his college fund being in the green when mine's still well in the red!

    Fortunately, there are many other aspects of life where perspective need not change with the addition of a family member. I'm sure all will be happy to hear that the rant found on the first page of this thread and several additional times throughout the sordid compilation of rants posted here still forms the core of my irritations in both the realm of tabletop gaming and spanning into many other social arenas.

    Without further adieu...

    I'm not sure if i've ever hated anything in my entire life. Hate is a very strong word and i think has been hijacked by some of the other feelings that you all have described here. I'll do a quick find/replace for hate and replace it with dislike and other such verbiage. In the vein of being malcontent, here goes:

    I dislike a general lack of education for players and DMs.

    I am not fond of pride or selfishness, both of which contribute to ignorance.

    I distain using laziness as a justification for anything. Laziness breeds stupidity.

    I take exception to any other system of tabletop governance other than Democracy. A DM is not a dictator and the sum of players is not greater than the DM...Unawares DMs or players will consistantly encounter problems in their games.

    I abhor generalizing (in general), unilatarilizing, typing, grouping, or "body of working" for answering any rules-related question (stat-block related). This is otherwise recognized as narrow-mindedness.

    And finally, I can't stomach refusing to or failure recognize one's own faults. Placing blame for anything that you can control yourself (by whatever means necessary), suggests any one (or more) of the following: ignorance, pride, selfishness, laziness, poor governance, and/or narrow-mindedness.

    As ever,
    ACE


    Best of luck, ACE. A friend of mine had a son a bit less than a year ago and after those initial months he's managed to adjust pretty well to his schedule. Of course, he has a pretty mellow baby.

    For my rant, searching for a job really stinks. I just feel weird lying for one thing, since if I were to say "I'm just looking for a day job that will allow me to get out of my parents' house and will finance my artwork until I can quit and just do art full time", I wouldn't be considered an ideal candidate by any means. And then, of course, sending out your resume and then never hearing anything; searching a really crowded field for the one or two jobs that I qualify for and then having to compete with however many other anonymous (to me, at least) applicants.

    And then, of course, the people I've gone to looking for letters of recommendation have flaked on me completely. No emails, no phone calls, nothing. So, even if tomorrow an employer calls and gives me an interview I'm still kind of screwed. It really doesn't look good when you can't have at least one or two former employers endorse you in some way, and I can't think of a single reason why they wouldn't.

    Blegh.


    I abhor ranting! All ranters should be flagellated!

    Blast!

    Where's has my cat-o-nine-tails gotten to?

    Silver Crusade

    Stop flatulating on the messageboards.

    Paizo Employee Managing Developer

    James Keegan wrote:
    For my rant, searching for a job really stinks. I just feel weird lying for one thing, since if I were to say "I'm just looking for a day job that will allow me to get out of my parents' house and will finance my artwork until I can quit and just do art full time", I wouldn't be considered an ideal candidate by any means.

    Have you considered the restaurant industry? Seems like the 13 or so years I was working that biz there were heaps of servers, cooks, hosts and dishwashers that were looking for that very thing. Also, most restaurant managers aren't expecting anyone to stay around much longer than 6 months. (Though I had much more luck in my kitchen.) Also, restaurants are usually populated by very creative and artistic people, not to mention that servers in the right restaurant with the right shifts can pull down a c-note or two in a night. (Though those people have true skills and good shifts.)

    Also, if you do feel like lying, and want to put me down as a reference, I'll tell any job whatever you want me to tell them. It's no skin off my decaying teeth to get a friend into a job.

    Paizo Employee Managing Developer

    Short rant.

    I'm freakin' bugged out that I've been working out of town and haven't had the time to keep up with these boards. I just know I'm missing some good stuff reading the boards on my phone. Also, I hate sleeping in a hotel room for a week, sharing a room with snoring, flatulent co-workers instead of my bed, albeit crappy bed, with my lovely wife. I also am bugged that I am working in the same town as Fatespinner, who I met last time I was here, and have been working 12 - 15 hr days and haven't had time to run into him and have a drink and talk some D&D.

    It'll all be over soon enough and I'll be back to typing these messages on a big boy keyboard instead of a phone.


    Let me start by saying, it's nothing personal Fatespinner, but I HATE dealing with insurance adjusters.

    My Big Beautiful Truck was squished last Wed (6/20) and I still don't have it back! The front & back bumpers & grill need replaced and it jarred something under the hood that made the check engine light come on & stay on. The first adjuster ok'd for the replacement of the front bumper, grill & headlights (I didn't even notice the cracks in THEM) to be replaced but only ok'd for the back bumper to be repaired.

    So I called the body shop Monday morning to check on the status & they were waiting on the insurance adjuster to come out & ok the replacement of the back bumper b/c all the damage had pulled the bolts & bolt holes on the bumper. I asked about the check engine light & they said they didn't know anything about that (after I had told the body shop manager AND the insurance adjuster) but they would add that to the adjustment they were waiting on.

    So I waited until Wednesday & still had no word from the body shop or the insurance adjuster. Sooo, I called the adjuster to see what the hold up was & he said he was no longer working my claim that they had moved him from north A-Tex to south. ARE WE THAT LARGE OF A TOWN THAT HE CAN'T STILL WORK MY CASE TO THE END?! DAMNIT! Anyhoo, he was nice enough to give me the name of the new adjuster but no phone number. GRRRRR, WHY DIDN'T THEY FRIGGIN TELL ME ABOUT THE FRIGGIN SWITCH?! The first guy did check the claim status & let me know that the new adjuster got the order on Tuesday afternoon to go to the body shop.

    Well it's now Friday & I am still in the friggin Ford Escape rental. Called the body shop and the new adjuster was out there yesterday afternoon but didn't give a yeah or a nay on the bumper, just the issue with the engine. AND I STILL HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM!! They've been trying to call him today but aren't getting an answer.

    So needless to say, I'm missing my BBT and at this point just want to break down and cry. Or, at the very least, strangle the guy who caused the chain wreck reaction (who didn't stop by the way) causing me to have to deal with all the insurance BS, and then new insurance adjuster just on general purposes.

    **END OF RANT**


    What a great truck! I need one! You are far stronger than I my friend, if I were going through what you are now over such a beautiful ride, I would have cried a long time ago. May your baby come home to you soon.

    Dark Archive RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

    Tegan wrote:
    Let me start by saying, it's nothing personal Fatespinner, but I HATE dealing with insurance adjusters.

    Hehe, no problem. I know it can be rough. Out of curiosity, though, which insurance company are you dealing with?

    Also, Daigle, it sucks that we weren't able to hook up again on this trip. Maybe the next time you're out this way we'll look into it. You could always come out on a vacation sometime, too. I'd find you a spot in one of our games. ;)

    2,851 to 2,900 of 3,910 << first < prev | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Place Your Rant Here All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.