Old-School Metal!

OWMDD1

Otherworld Miniatures are now available on paizo.com!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the look and feel of the old 1st Edition AD&D rulebooks. My copies were lovingly used for years, and I doubt I will ever know a set of rulebooks as well as I know them. The artwork of David Sutherland III, D.A. Trampier, Tom Wham, Erol Otus, and Darlene Pekul formed the visual framework for what I think of as Dungeons & Dragons. So you can imagine the excitement I felt when Sean K Reynolds first pointed me towards Otherworld Miniatures. Once I saw them, I quickly began scrambling to bring them here to paizo.com. Currently, we have the first of two waves of miniatures in stock, with the second set arriving in a few weeks. So if you find a figure you like, but it's not yet available, don't worry—it will be here soon!

My favorites in the line are the Pig-Faced Orcs, inspired by the art on page 76 of the 1st Edition Monster Manual. Over the years, D&D orcs have become more bestial and vicious, but I have always loved the original vision for these low-level cannon fodder. Otherworld has similarly recaptured the dog-faced Kobolds that yelled "Bree-yark!" as my players explored the Caves of Chaos. The yellow-orange big-mouthed Goblins that Trampier first envisioned are here as well, as are the militaristic, almost samurai-like Hobgoblins.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Demon Idol made famous on the cover of the 1st Edition Player's Handbook. And just seeing the terms Type I Demon and Type II Demon made me smile. And there's so much more to point out, such as the whirly-tailed Rust Monsters and the first Giant Slug miniature I have ever seen.

But don't take my word for it! Browse through the Otherworld Miniatures line and set the wayback machine to 1978!

More Blog.

That is friggin Sweet,

Puts on his list.


In all my years as a gamer, I have yet to paint a mini. But two things in this world make me want to buy and learn: the Pathfinder minis and these.


It's been 22 years since I picked up the first edition books, and I still think of kobolds and orcs exactly as they're presented here. Wow, that brings back memories. "It was a simpler time, when kobolds were dog-like and treasure type Q ruled the roost."

Zo


HOLY CRAP.

I don't use minis and even I want this!

Grand Lodge

Being a customer of Otherworld and having met Richard myself I can fully recommend the whole line of miniatures. His line got me back into buying miniatures and for the first time even collecting a full line.

What I like most with Otherworld miniatures is the attention to detail. Size has a meaning. The bib bad boss is a little bit bulkier and bigger. The kobolds are really a lot smaller and my favourite - the orc baby is really tiny.

So far I have well over 100 painted up over the last 2 years and unfortunately still to many in stages to be finished.

Have fun with Otherworld miniatures.

Thod

Sovereign Court

Aaargh ! My budget ! my bonus ! noooooo !

I couldn't resist : I bought the Special gelatinous cube !

Really needed that one. Just too damn brillant.

Scarab Sages

These are some pretty sweet minis. Too bad they're unpainted, or I might be tempted to buy some of them.


Aberzombie wrote:
These are some pretty sweet minis. Too bad they're unpainted, or I might be tempted to buy some of them.

I'd paint them for yas, 'Zombie! *hugs*

Dark Archive

Yeah, I was waiting for sometime hoping Paizo would eventually carry this line. Can't wait for my minis to start coming in.

Scarab Sages

Lilith wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
These are some pretty sweet minis. Too bad they're unpainted, or I might be tempted to buy some of them.
I'd paint them for yas, 'Zombie! *hugs*

Thanks for the offer, but aren't we on different sides of the country?


Aberzombie wrote:
Lilith wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
These are some pretty sweet minis. Too bad they're unpainted, or I might be tempted to buy some of them.
I'd paint them for yas, 'Zombie! *hugs*
Thanks for the offer, but aren't we on different sides of the country?

That's my dilemma. If I had someone to paint 'em for me.... Heck, I can't even color in-bounds with crayons.


I'm pretty sure the awesome customer service reps at Paizo would let you place an order with a delivery to a different address. Said unpainted minis would arrive at my location, I would paint them to your specs, and ship them out when complete. :)


Would it include cookies? :P


I think Lilith may be opening a portal here that might be dangerous...

Did I mention my b-day is JULY 9th?


Very dangerous. It could involve a ... point of no return.


I bought some giant ticks and fae from him for Kingmaker the other week..but even in the UK they are really expensive..4 ticks and 4 tiny fey(sprite,pixie,brownie and leprechaun) cost me £19

The sculptor told me that he intends to produce Xvarts,mites& snyads later this year..lots of fey to annoy people and I'd buy lots if it wan't going to beggar me.

Additionally for Kingmaker players he makes a really nice Owlbear.

Scarab Sages

Lilith wrote:
I'm pretty sure the awesome customer service reps at Paizo would let you place an order with a delivery to a different address. Said unpainted minis would arrive at my location, I would paint them to your specs, and ship them out when complete. :)

Aaack!! Get thee behind me temptress!

Seriously though, that would be uber cool, but for now I'll have to pass. These minis, while cool, are also on the pricey side, and I don't really see any that I need - yet!

And yeah, you can place orders with different delivery locations. I've got my brother's address saved as a possible place to ship to for when I buy him or the nephew gifts from Paizo.

Maybe we could just keep this as an open-ended idea?

Sovereign Court

I have a bunch of these and they are awesome. Really glad they're available from Paizo; before now, I was ordering them in the UK and having them sent to my mother and her bringing them over when she visited.


Aberzombie wrote:

Aaack!! Get thee behind me temptress!

Seriously though, that would be uber cool, but for now I'll have to pass. These minis, while cool, are also on the pricey side, and I don't really see any that I need - yet!

...says the guy who put in an order for the ... Orcus. ;)

Scarab Sages

Urizen wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

Aaack!! Get thee behind me temptress!

Seriously though, that would be uber cool, but for now I'll have to pass. These minis, while cool, are also on the pricey side, and I don't really see any that I need - yet!

...says the guy who put in an order for the ... Orcus. ;)

Yeah, but I do need it! My secret shrine to dark and terrible powers was incomplete. You think it's just a crude, plastic representation of a fictitious RPG character, but I know better. Oh yes, I know.....

Spoiler:
Not to mention my wife gave me a scary look when I told her about Orcus. So, I figure ordering more minis better be spaced out over a reasonable timeframe.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

I just don't paint minis or I'd be ALL over these.

Now I've got to resist the temptation to get some of those damfool gelatinous cubes ...

(Says the guy who ordered TWO Orcuses. Orcii? Just trying to pluralize Orcus will probably get the whole of the Abyss scrabbling at my windows at 6:66 AM.)

Community / Forums / Paizo / Website Feedback / Blog: Old-School Metal! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Website Feedback