Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults (5e)

Our Price: $59.99

Preorder expected June 2023

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

One of Pathfinder’s most popular and exciting campaigns comes to 5e at last!

When the mysterious Gauntlight, an eerie landlocked lighthouse, glows with baleful light, the people of Otari know something terrible is beginning. Evil stirs in the depths of the Abomination Vaults, a sprawling dungeon where a wicked sorcerer attempted to raise an army of monsters hundreds of years ago. The town's newest heroes must venture into a sprawling dungeon filled with beasts and traps to prevent a spiteful spellcaster from rising again!

This complete compilation of the original Adventure Path campaign has been adapted to the newest version of the world’s oldest RPG. You’ve heard about the quality and depth of Pathfinder campaigns for years—now explore the Abomination Vaults yourself without having to learn a new game system!

Written by: James Jacobs, Vanessa Hoskins, and Stephen Radney-MacFarland.

Content Warning: While Abomination Vaults contains typical Pathfinder action and adventure, it also presents themes of suicide, ableism, body horror, and human experimentation. Before you begin, understand that player consent (including that of the Game Master) is vital to a safe and fun play experience for everyone. You should talk with your players before beginning the adventure and modify descriptions or scenarios as appropriate.

Note: This Abomination Vaults compilation hardcover is not included in the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription. Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscribers who preorder Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults will receive a free PDF when their physical copy ships.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-477-2

Product Availability

Preorder, expected approximately 28 Jun 2023

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO2034


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

51 to 100 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Preordered…I always enjoyed the PaizoAPs even after I got burned out by the 2500+ feats in PF1


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I sent this to one of the guys in my P2 group who also plays in a 5E game. This is a good business decision, whether it ends up being a on ramp or just another source of income.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

This is awesome news. I bailed on PF2 because I just couldn’t bring myself to invest in yet another system that nobody around here wants to play, but I’ve missed the APs and Golarian so very much. They’re superior to WotC’s output in pretty much every way imaginable. Hope this takes off in a huge way. It’ll be great for 5e players and could be great for the company (heartily lol’d @ the earlier “Paizo doesn’t care about money!” takes).

Add me down as a +1 wishing it was being converted to PF1 too though. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is exciting. I love 3rd party content for 5e. Will buying the hardcover include a pdf or only if you are a subscriber?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I’m really excited for this. I’m a 5e dm but got my start playing PF1. I much prefer Paizo AP but I like 5e simplicity. I’ve been buying PF1 and PF2 PDFs to use as in my campaign and I was actually thinking about picking up Abomination Vaults before this. So very happy and I hope they do more of this.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Coagulopathy wrote:
This is exciting. I love 3rd party content for 5e. Will buying the hardcover include a pdf or only if you are a subscriber?

Preordering this product should get you a complimentary PDF if you are a subscriber to the standalone Adventure or Adventure Path lines. Otherwise the PDf will be sold separately on release day.

With Paizo Connect, if you own the PDF it should get you a discount on buying the product from any of our VTT partners that choose to support this. I don't have a list of who is participating yet.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Lot of people online are salty about this but it's smart business. Now they just have to convert EVERY Adventure Path to 5e rules and rake in those WOTC $$$ for a fraction of the work.

I'll still play PF2e (not going back to 5e) but I'd love to see Paizo make more money.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Removed a lot of posts for being off topic. This is not the thread to have edition discussions, it is a product thread. Please keep on topic.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:
Honestly, I'll buy this just to see how Paizo tackles 5e ruleset.

Strongest argument for buying I have heard so far.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
willfromamerica wrote:
Huh… weird move, but I guess Paizo’s trying to cash in on that 5e money.

They're trying to bring in new player base. 5E exploded, in large part due to Critical Role and other channels like it. Many of these are people who had maybe heard of D&D but have never heard of Pathfinder before. They weren't around when Paizo split off from WotC. They weren't around for the original D&D based Adventure Paths. This is Paizo's way of reintroducing themselves to the new mainstream.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Marvin? wrote:
This is awesome news. I bailed on PF2 because I just couldn’t bring myself to invest in yet another system that nobody around here wants to play

Anecdotal, but I usually find the issue isn't that nobody wants to play what I want to play, but nobody wants to GM what I want to play -- in fact nobody wants to GM at all. 5e is the only system I don't have books in my house for aside from a players manual and we've played it a grand total of one session back in 2020 when everyone was stuck at home. We've been playing TTRPG's almost non-stop weekly for 3 years.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As someone who primarily plays 5e and whose favorite setting is Golarion, this is one of the most exciting pieces of news I've heard in the RPG world. I hope it sells like crazy and Paizo decides to convert all the things (including a 5e version of Starfinder, but first things first).


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
ShadowDrakken wrote:
willfromamerica wrote:
Huh… weird move, but I guess Paizo’s trying to cash in on that 5e money.
They're trying to bring in new player base. 5E exploded, in large part due to Critical Role and other channels like it. Many of these are people who had maybe heard of D&D but have never heard of Pathfinder before. They weren't around when Paizo split off from WotC. They weren't around for the original D&D based Adventure Paths. This is Paizo's way of reintroducing themselves to the new mainstream.

My initial reaction was a much more pessimistic (and sleep-deprived) one, but after seeing all the Paizo folks’ reasoning behind the decision, I think it’s a great move to bring more people into the Pathfinder sphere!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Will there be a roll20 version?


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Here is Nerd Immersion's take on this product.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Seems like a smart way to print money. I liked what I played of the Abomination Vaults. I'd like to dig deeper at some point.


Aaron Shanks wrote:
Coagulopathy wrote:
This is exciting. I love 3rd party content for 5e. Will buying the hardcover include a pdf or only if you are a subscriber?

Preordering this product should get you a complimentary PDF if you are a subscriber to the standalone Adventure or Adventure Path lines. Otherwise the PDf will be sold separately on release day.

With Paizo Connect, if you own the PDF it should get you a discount on buying the product from any of our VTT partners that choose to support this. I don't have a list of who is participating yet.

Sorry if I am dense but what is a subscriber? If I put this $59.99 book in my cart and buy it will I get a pdf of it as well?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

If you're a subscriber to the Adventure Path Line (clicky!) you automatically get the books of the adventure path line (and a complimentary PDF) when they're released, rather than having to buy them manually when they're released.

If you have a subscription when this is preordered you'll get the free pdf.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

2 people marked this as a favorite.

This is a product thread, not a place to have edition conversations. Please keep on the topic of the product or this thread will be locked for moderation. Removed more posts for being of topic.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Are references to Pharasma being redacted from the 5e version? Or how is that going to work? What if someone wants to be a 5e Cleric of Pharasma?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

E Lav wrote:
Will there be a roll20 version?

It is too soon to say, but we have spoken to them about it.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Coagulopathy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Coagulopathy wrote:
This is exciting. I love 3rd party content for 5e. Will buying the hardcover include a pdf or only if you are a subscriber?

Preordering this product should get you a complimentary PDF if you are a subscriber to the standalone Adventure or Adventure Path lines. Otherwise the PDf will be sold separately on release day.

With Paizo Connect, if you own the PDF it should get you a discount on buying the product from any of our VTT partners that choose to support this. I don't have a list of who is participating yet.

Sorry if I am dense but what is a subscriber? If I put this $59.99 book in my cart and buy it will I get a pdf of it as well?

Subscription details.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Are references to Pharasma being redacted from the 5e version? Or how is that going to work? What if someone wants to be a 5e Cleric of Pharasma?

It's still set in Golarion. If folks want to make 5E clerics of Pharasma or otherwise, they'll need to work with their GM, I guess. We provide plenty of information about her for those folks to do their thing if that's what they want.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Most of the common Golarion deities translate nicely to 5e cleric domains anyways. Like Pharasma would work nicely with Grave, Sarenrae with Light, Iomedae or Gorum with War, Gozreh with Nature, just as some examples.

Wayfinders

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Very curious about all the backmatter material (such as the archetypes) and how that will be translated into 5e terms.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

This was a good product to try this out with, as it is basically a low level dungeon crawl. If this catches on, it will be interesting to see what Paizo can do with more challenging material.

I would personally be rather curious to see what they can do with Strength of Thousands, as it occurred to me long ago that there should be some interesting potential for crossovers between that AP and WotC's Strixhaven book. So far, all I came up with myself were some ideas to mimic the free multiclassing from Strength of Thousands into Strixhaven.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I gotta say, today's Know Direction podcast had me for a moment when they announced all P2 APs will be converted to 5e. Well done.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Well -- Paizo definitely succeeded in getting people to talk about this product, if the number of Youtube videos on this subject is any indication.

Of course, I am beginning to think that neither Paizo (via Know Direction) nor WotC has caught on to April Fool's Day, as they both made pseudo-announcements that would not necessarily be ridiculous on any other day (or several months from now, for the idea of converting all Pathfinder adventures to D&D 5e).


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

I'm disappointed that Paizo is more interested in poaching from their competitors than supporting their PF1e fans, who would surely like to see 1e adaptations of 2e products.


11 people marked this as a favorite.
dmjarrick wrote:
I'm disappointed that Paizo is more interested in poaching from their competitors than supporting their PF1e fans, who would surely like to see 1e adaptations of 2e products.

They’re poaching from the most popular system on the planet, rather than supporting a discontinued one.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

11 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
dmjarrick wrote:
I'm disappointed that Paizo is more interested in poaching from their competitors than supporting their PF1e fans, who would surely like to see 1e adaptations of 2e products.
They’re poaching from the most popular system on the planet, rather than supporting a discontinued one.

Another way to think of it is that Paizo wants to showcase the quality and depth of Pathfinder campaigns to a new audience.

Liberty's Edge

Will there be a 5E guide for the setting, deities, domains, ect?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

5 people marked this as a favorite.
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Will there be a 5E guide for the setting, deities, domains, ect?

I've very briefly peeked at the draft. No, I don't think so. Players will simply use their 5e books and this Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults compilation to play. While we know our Lost Omens setting is rich and expansive, this AP is rather self-contained as a mega-dungeon-with-a plot. Those who who are curious about the setting, and we hope many are, have resources like Pathfinder Wiki, Archives of Nethys, Demiplane, and our books to dive into.

Nevertheless, we will have Ron write blogs about the PF2 and 5e compilations soon, so he can give us what details there are to give.

Have a great weekend. I hope you get some gaming in.


5e groups can still use the bulk of the content in the Lost Omens books - just not the mechanics. There’s not much conversion needed on the player side; a Fighter is still a Fighter, there’s Golarion deities who fit all of 5e’s Cleric domains, most Ancestries have clear parallels in extant 5e Races (outside of the really oddball stuff - though reflavoring goes a long way) and so on.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Here is a list of 5e domains I came up with for each major deity for Pathfinder. It may not be an official list, but it has served my group well.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:
5e groups can still use the bulk of the content in the Lost Omens books - just not the mechanics. There’s not much conversion needed on the player side; a Fighter is still a Fighter, there’s Golarion deities who fit all of 5e’s Cleric domains, most Ancestries have clear parallels in extant 5e Races (outside of the really oddball stuff - though reflavoring goes a long way) and so on.

Yah. Speaking as a DM that's been running Golarion in 5e for nearly four years, its super easy to translate. Honestly, I'm tempted to just make a post to support exactly that.

EDIT: I might be slightly crazy, but now I'm tempted to go buy the Beginner's Box and Troubles in Otari and convert them myself for people to use.

Wayfinders

While a full-on "Lost Omens for 5e players" primer might be out of the question (and let's face it, with how self-contained this AP is, I imagine it's trivial to transplant the whole affair into a setting like Forgotten Realms or Eberron, though obviously Paizo can't legally tell you how), a 5e conversion of the player's guide would be pretty great, IMHO - backgrounds that hook PCs into the adventure (with a payoff!) are a great thing about Pathfinder APs, so it would be great to showcase that as well, even though AbV is hardly the most idiosyncratic or unusual premise.

(And yes, folks could just grab the existing PF2 player's guide for it since it's so light on mechanics anyway, but that'd still have some friction to it, I feel.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
RiverMesa wrote:
While a full-on "Lost Omens for 5e players" primer might be out of the question...

I'm surprised one of these hasn't been created by a community of 5e players who like the Lost Omens campaign setting. There are some important factors to consider when fitting your character into Golarion, particularly among races. For instance, in Golarion, elves are not ancestors of the First World, so Fey Ancestry doesn't make as much sense, but it would make some sense for Gnomes.

Maybe someday, I'll come up with a list of Golarion racial variants for 5e, complete with subraces based on Golarian heritages.

Wayfinders

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Whimsy Chris wrote:
RiverMesa wrote:
While a full-on "Lost Omens for 5e players" primer might be out of the question...

I'm surprised one of these hasn't been created by a community of 5e players who like the Lost Omens campaign setting. There are some important factors to consider when fitting your character into Golarion, particularly among races. For instance, in Golarion, elves are not ancestors of the First World, so Fey Ancestry doesn't make as much sense, but it would make some sense for Gnomes.

Maybe someday, I'll come up with a list of Golarion racial variants for 5e, complete with subraces based on Golarian heritages.

If there's ever a good time for that kind of thing, it's now when we're getting things like 5e Abomination Vaults and, technically, 5e Kingmaker.

Owner/operator - Railyard Games

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Elfteiroh wrote:
Also of note: This will let Paizo get their foot in the door of a not insignificant number of shops *only* selling D&D products. I have a couple around here...

This post by Elfeiroh inspired me to make my firs PF post on here...

OK...here goes...New retailer posting after playing himself in first Beginner's Box game last night as "Valeros" and loving it...btw...I'm basically a retired person..but run this games store on Vancouver Island, Western Canada...(in case your mapping skills are poor!)

I've done a bit of rp gaming...not a lot of D&D...but couple of sessions and much much prefer PF....played last night with couple of young 30 year olds (very experienced with D&D--but first timers for PG)....

To stick to theme of thread....My new store is next door to an established older store that sells new D&D and when I opened I agreed not to compete directly...but there are lots of D&D players around and they are signing up to use my games rooms (he doesn't have any)...( I have some old D&D modules that I do sell..but that's about it plus some miniatures...) Anyhow THE THEME QUESTION IS..."How best to move them over to PF"...and maybe PAIZO have come up with answer!!!!

My second question posted here in April 2022....is what adventures should I carry in my store for early players and their DM's??? I have 2E rulebook now, character sheets, bestiary, and couple of adventures..but looking for more input on what to stock? Thought I'd come to those who play...

Oh yes...first game as player...(1) rat (1) spider (1) zombie and (1) other something or other..(forget cause I'm old!!!)...like a goblin but I think not... Gained lots of experience that our DM announced after every encounter...so really liked that part...


RiverMesa wrote:

While a full-on "Lost Omens for 5e players" primer might be out of the question (and let's face it, with how self-contained this AP is, I imagine it's trivial to transplant the whole affair into a setting like Forgotten Realms or Eberron, though obviously Paizo can't legally tell you how), a 5e conversion of the player's guide would be pretty great, IMHO - backgrounds that hook PCs into the adventure (with a payoff!) are a great thing about Pathfinder APs, so it would be great to showcase that as well, even though AbV is hardly the most idiosyncratic or unusual premise.

(And yes, folks could just grab the existing PF2 player's guide for it since it's so light on mechanics anyway, but that'd still have some friction to it, I feel.)

It would be especially difficult since there's so much that's not in the SRD (if memory serves, there's only the Champion fighter subclass, which is the most boring s!*$ ever, for example). I'm fairly certain a collection of "backgrounds" would not be impossible, as the structure of backgrounds are in the SRD, but there'd be a crapload of overlap since backgrounds are incredibly broad. Couple that with some Pathfinder-Specific magic items, spells, and maybe a few custom subclasses, and you could have a reasonble softcover to go along with it.

Whimsy Chris wrote:
RiverMesa wrote:
While a full-on "Lost Omens for 5e players" primer might be out of the question...

I'm surprised one of these hasn't been created by a community of 5e players who like the Lost Omens campaign setting. There are some important factors to consider when fitting your character into Golarion, particularly among races. For instance, in Golarion, elves are not ancestors of the First World, so Fey Ancestry doesn't make as much sense, but it would make some sense for Gnomes.

Maybe someday, I'll come up with a list of Golarion racial variants for 5e, complete with subraces based on Golarian heritages.

I made one for my players, but it's messy and wouldn't be appropriate to post. I didn't do a whole lot as far as changing abilities, as I considered it unnecessary (why change Fey Ancestry, as it befits Elves even if they aren't descendants of fey).

51 to 100 of 144 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults (5e) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.