Pathfinder Lost Omens: Monsters of Myth

4.70/5 (based on 6 ratings)
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Monsters of Myth

Add Print Edition $34.99

Add PDF $24.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Release the beasts! Heroes abound in the Age of Lost Omens, but for every great hero, there is an even greater monster. Lost Omens Monsters of Myth provides details on 20 of the most infamous and terrifying monsters from the Inner Sea region and beyond. Uncover the secrets of some of Golarion's greatest monsters from the Sandpoint Devil to Fafnheir, the Father of All Linnorms, and more. Monsters of Myth provides rumors, tales, and even treasures for the brave adventurers willing to face these legendary creatures!

Written by: James Case, John Compton, Dana Ebert, Joshua Kim, Aaron Lascano, Luis Loza, Ron Lundeen, Stephanie Lundeen, Liane Merciel, Andrew Mullen, Michael Sayre, Sen H.H.S., Shay Snow, and Jason Tondro

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-389-8



Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Pathfinder Nexus on Demiplane
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9311


See Also:

1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.70/5 (based on 6 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Tons of Flavor, Setting Lore, & Plot Hooks

5/5

This is the book that I wish Legends had been. Each legendary monster entry had me thinking about the campaigns I could run with the hooks and lore I was being given in a way the Legends book just didn't. More like this, please!


More useful than Lost Omens Legends.

3/5

I would have liked to have seen more lower level "monsters of myth". The Sandpoint Devil and Spring Heeled Jack were the only ones included. Alternately putting statblocks for the "Spawn of _________" might have fulfilled the same purpose - giving lower level parties something to fight.

If you don't get above level 10, this book is of limited utility sadly.


Ah so thats why I love the book

5/5

I was wondering about if I'm biased or something because I inherently like this book a lot, but I realized what it is: It reminds me of the 3.5 Elder Evil books(admitedly only 3.5 D&D book I've read) that is one of my favorite similar style books ever :'D I just love the focus on singular creature and how to form story around them.


Wonderful

5/5

Every creature in here was something I was highly looking forward to or I was very interested in after, bundles of ideas from every critter. Highly recommend this offering, this is a Lost Omens quality book.


The best “short” Lost Omens book to date

5/5

I wasn’t very excited about this book. I thought it would probably be a mini-bestiary. Or, if we were lucky, something along the lines of the “monsters revisited” line, which are pretty great, but largely because they provide new angles to approach old classic monsters.

What I didn’t expect was 20 sketches for home-brew APs. And that’s basically what this book is. Each monster is given some rich informative lore, brimming with potential adventure ideas, a juicy stat block, some epic items or player options that tie into the creature’s lore, and a sketch regarding the different kinds of adventuring opportunities the monster presents, for low-level, mid-level, and high-level campaigns. Each entry left me swimming with ideas, and wanting to run a home-brew campaign centered around the monster.

A really amazing book. My favorite “short” Lost Omens book to date.


1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
201 to 250 of 315 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
belgrath9344 wrote:
LizardMage wrote:
Does the linnorm style feats make their return in this book?
what are those?

They were a chain of Monk Style Feats. You know, truth be told I’m not sure I really remember what their big draw was, but I do remember liking them. Plus, more Style feats for the Monk and Martial Artist would be nice

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LizardMage wrote:
belgrath9344 wrote:
LizardMage wrote:
Does the linnorm style feats make their return in this book?
what are those?
They were a chain of Monk Style Feats. You know, truth be told I’m not sure I really remember what their big draw was, but I do remember liking them. Plus, more Style feats for the Monk and Martial Artist would be nice

No, those are not in this book.


Which authors are responsible for writing each monster?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

HTD wrote:
Which authors are responsible for writing each monster?

This is not publicly documented yet. And I don't have access to that information.


Any new template?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Laclale♪ wrote:
Any new template?

Many archetypes, see above. There are no "templates" in Pathfinder that I am aware of.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

what lvl is fafnhier?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.
belgrath9344 wrote:
what lvl is fafnhier?

:
24

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

many archetypes in this book you say? How many?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Rude_ wrote:
many archetypes in this book you say? How many?

Ha! I confused my threads. Book of the Dead has many archetypes, not this one. Sorry.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

If I mostly run pre-written APs and scenarios rather than home brewed storylines how much use will I get out of this book?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Uchuujin wrote:
If I mostly run pre-written APs and scenarios rather than home brewed storylines how much use will I get out of this book?

I'm not a designer, of course, but I'm also a runner of APs... and having some big monsters can be a HUGE boon as a GM.

Sometimes, my players have gone off the beaten path a bit, or they explored a part of the AP that isn't as fleshed out, and having a big encounter to throw at them helps reward their curiosity.

When I ran CoT, they really got into the fey element, which isn't played up as much as they would have liked... so guess who got to deal with The Wild Hunt? Sure, we still ran through the rest of the AP, but it was a nice way to give a nod to their interest _and_ keep them within spitting distance of the plot.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Uchuujin wrote:
If I mostly run pre-written APs and scenarios rather than home brewed storylines how much use will I get out of this book?

"Variant rules and ways of tying player characters to these monsters round out the options presented for bringing these monsters to life in a variety of campaigns."

Paizo Employee Developer

22 people marked this as a favorite.
HTD wrote:
Which authors are responsible for writing each monster?

Oh, I know that!

Ainamuuren: Michael Sayre
Cuetzmonquali: Luis Loza
Desert's Howl: Dana Ebert
Fafnheir: Jason Tondro
Grogrisant: Jason Tondro
Kaiju: Sen H.H.S.
Kallas Devil: Shay Snow
Kothogaz: Joshua Kim & Andrew Mullen
Krampus: Liane Merciel & John Compton
Kuworsys: Aaron Lascano
Melfesh Monster: Liane Merciel & Andrew Mullen
Mosquito Witch: John Compton
Sandpoint Devil: Stephanie Lundeen
Somnalu: Aaron Lascano
Spring-Heeled Jack: Ron Lundeen
Taljjae: Joshua Kim & James Case
Tehialai: James Case
Temteki: Stephanie Lundeen
Ulgrem-Axaan: Liane Merciel & Shay Snow
Ulistul: John Compton


So, what is the official confirmed page count for the book?

Paizo Employee Developer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

128 pages


Luis Loza wrote:
128 pages

Thanks Luis!


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Laclale♪ wrote:
Any new template?
Many archetypes, see above. There are no "templates" in Pathfinder that I am aware of.

No clue if this is what Lacale meant, but Theme Templates were introduced in the Character guide on page 128.


Oooh, a Meso American sounding monster of myth!

Shadow Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

when will the pdf be available for this?


Cat-thulhu wrote:
when will the pdf be available for this?

PDFs are available on the "street date" which is currently set at 12/22.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kelseus wrote:
Cat-thulhu wrote:
when will the pdf be available for this?
PDFs are available on the "street date" which is currently set at 12/22.

Correct. We have confidence in the 12/22 date.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

AnimatedPaper wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Laclale♪ wrote:
Any new template?
Many archetypes, see above. There are no "templates" in Pathfinder that I am aware of.
No clue if this is what Lacale meant, but Theme Templates were introduced in the Character guide on page 128.

Ah yes, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for them in future books, but I don't see any in this one.


When was this book released? its page says the print version's now available, but its content isn't on the Archives of Nethys yet; so I was wanting to know WHEN exactly the print edition was released so that I might have an idea of when I can expect the content to show up on the Archives of Nethys.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Thjori wrote:
When was this book released? its page says the print version's now available, but its content isn't on the Archives of Nethys yet; so I was wanting to know WHEN exactly the print edition was released so that I might have an idea of when I can expect the content to show up on the Archives of Nethys.

The street date is two comments above you.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Somnalu is one of most "wow this is super my taste and I didn't know I need it" weird cool creepy things I've seen in a while O_o


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

So, now that some people have access to the PDFs... could you guys spill the beans about the mosquito witch patron for witch and stat block?

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Huh, I noticed two pages where sentence cuts off in middle of page turn ^^; That seems like error so uh, how should I report those?

Anyway the mosquito witch patron uses primal list, grants new hex buzzing bites and pest form.

Regarding Mosquito witch, it has lists of possible variation of differently themed abilities you can switch them around with and the standard statblock is more of representation of what it could be (or is said to be). Book gives mosquito witch multiple possible origin stories(it being Ghaulander related, being Deskari related or being sort of fey that adapts its form to current legends of the witch)


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:

Huh, I noticed two pages where sentence cuts off in middle of page turn ^^; That seems like error so uh, how should I report those?

Anyway the mosquito witch patron uses primal list, grants new hex buzzing bites and pest form.

Regarding Mosquito witch, it has lists of possible variation of differently themed abilities you can switch them around with and the standard statblock is more of representation of what it could be (or is said to be). Book gives mosquito witch multiple possible origin stories(it being Ghaulander related, being Deskari related or being sort of fey that adapts its form to current legends of the witch)

And what level is it? Thank you for your time and answers.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well:
Level 10 and CN, creature type for basic rendition is fey


I got the PDF and just want to say Kuworsys creeps me out.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

What can you guys tell us about younger linnorms?


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Young Linnorm:
CR 7, can only do physical attacks (with the magical tag) and have a venom (poison) ability from their jaw attack. No magical abilities because they haven't acquired them yet. There is a sidebar that details the varieties of young linnorm with their own abilities and traits.


Would love to hear anything you can share on Cuetzmonquali!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Cuetzmonquali:
CR 17, huge reptile beast that kind of looks like a horned lizard and has a tail that splits apart into two stingers. Has melee attacks that deals fire damage, fire breath weapon, and the venom from its stingers can do fire and poison damage. If a group is lucky enough to beat it, you get something very sweet.


Which creatures have stat blocks other than the main 20? What are their level and traits?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

8 people marked this as a favorite.

There was a PDF issue for the exports of both Absalom and LO:MoM (which have not officially released yet) where the dashes in headers got changed to Ks. This is a PDF-only issue and we checked our in-office copies of the physical books, which do not have it. Art is in the process of updating the store PDFs so it'll all be handled shortly. TLDR this isn't like the LO Ancestry Guide "uncomon" error--if you ordered the book you're fine, if you got the PDF you will shortly be able to re-download an updated one, probably before your physical book even arrives.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Additional Creatures:
Howling Spawn: CR 11, traits are Rare, CE, Large, Aberration
Grisantian Lion: CR 12, traits are Rare, CN, Huge, Beast, Primal
Spawn of Kothogaz: CR 6, traits are Rare, NE, Large, Beast
Krampus Celebrant: CR 8, traits are Rare, NE, Medium, Humanoid
Spectral Devil: CR 10, traits are Unique, NE, Large, Fiend, Incorporeal, Spirit, Undead
Somnalu Oculus: CR 11, traits are Unique, NE, Medium, Aberration, Dream
Ulgrem-Lurann: CR 3, traits are Rare, CN, Large, Amphibious, Beast
Imperfect Automaton: CR 6, traits are Rare, N, Medium, Automaton, Construct


Andru C Watkins wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Could you tell us about any character options? Looking mostly for class options (any Sorcerer bloodlines?) and archetypes.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
There was a PDF issue for the exports of both Absalom and LO:MoM (which have not officially released yet) where the dashes in headers got changed to Ks. This is a PDF-only issue and we checked our in-office copies of the physical books, which do not have it. Art is in the process of updating the store PDFs so it'll all be handled shortly. TLDR this isn't like the LO Ancestry Guide "uncomon" error--if you ordered the book you're fine, if you got the PDF you will shortly be able to re-download an updated one, probably before your physical book even arrives.

On page 93 the page ends with "Without" and abruptly cuts there.

Page 117 has "Once dead, the PCs could use resurrection magic
to restore Ulgrem-Axaan to life, leaving it to watch over" and it ends there

Are these ones in release book?


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

how does fafnhiers curse work & what is his breath & venom damage


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
belgrath9344 wrote:
how does fafnhiers curse work & what is his breath & venom damage

Breath: fire damage to all in a Cone, and 1 target of his choosing takes additional lightning damage.

Venom: He spits boiling blood, which deals fire damage and leaves the victim Drained for 10 rounds.

Curse: Curse of the Woeful Wyrd.:
If the killer doesn't critically succeed against a super high Will save, they are progressively Doomed and if they while cursed, Fafnheir is reborn and rips his way out of their body.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Evan Tarlton wrote:
belgrath9344 wrote:
how does fafnhiers curse work & what is his breath & venom damage

Breath: fire damage to all in a Cone, and 1 target of his choosing takes additional lightning damage.

Venom: He spits boiling blood, which deals fire damage and leaves the victim Drained for 10 rounds.

** spoiler omitted **

what's the damage on his breath weapon


whats the highest level creature in the book?

Dark Archive

Fafnheir as level 24 creature (same as he was in 1e)


keftiu wrote:
Andru C Watkins wrote:
** spoiler omitted **
Could you tell us about any character options? Looking mostly for class options (any Sorcerer bloodlines?) and archetypes.

Character Options:

There's the Pactbound Initiate Archetype which lets you become a member of the saumen kar. It's a two page archetype, best used for winter or colder climate adventures, and the feats are really cool (pun intended).

There's an additional kaiju you can summon from the summon kaiju spell, Ebeshra (stone lightning serpent).

There's some creature specific rituals that are story driven. One ritual lets you polymorph into the Sandpoint Devil for a certain amount of time. There's a couple spells (dream attack spell and summoning a animate dream).

And there's quite a bit of items as well.


What are the main creatures' level and traits (if they have stat blocks that is)?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
belgrath9344 wrote:
Evan Tarlton wrote:
belgrath9344 wrote:
how does fafnhiers curse work & what is his breath & venom damage

Breath: fire damage to all in a Cone, and 1 target of his choosing takes additional lightning damage.

Venom: He spits boiling blood, which deals fire damage and leaves the victim Drained for 10 rounds.

** spoiler omitted **

what's the damage on his breath weapon

Spoiler:
20d6 fire damage, and 10d6 lightning damage for one unlucky target.
Radiant Oath

CorvusMask wrote:
Regarding Mosquito witch, it has lists of possible variation of differently themed abilities you can switch them around with and the standard statblock is more of representation of what it could be (or is said to be). Book gives mosquito witch multiple possible origin stories(it being Ghaulander related, being Deskari related or being sort of fey that adapts its form to current legends of the witch)

What rarity is the mosquito witch?

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
There was a PDF issue for the exports of both Absalom and LO:MoM (which have not officially released yet) where the dashes in headers got changed to Ks. This is a PDF-only issue and we checked our in-office copies of the physical books, which do not have it. Art is in the process of updating the store PDFs so it'll all be handled shortly. TLDR this isn't like the LO Ancestry Guide "uncomon" error--if you ordered the book you're fine, if you got the PDF you will shortly be able to re-download an updated one, probably before your physical book even arrives.

On page 93 the page ends with "Without" and abruptly cuts there.

Page 117 has "Once dead, the PCs could use resurrection magic
to restore Ulgrem-Axaan to life, leaving it to watch over" and it ends there

Are these ones in release book?

I do not have a print copy of the book and won't until well after release, but I have referred your post to the creative team to see if these are PDF-only.

I generally think that emailing issues to store@paizo.com is a better process, but no one is notified when you post errors on the Forums. An email would be easier to forward internally.

201 to 250 of 315 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Lost Omens: Monsters of Myth All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.