Starfinder Adventure: Junker's Delight

4.50/5 (based on 6 ratings)
Starfinder Adventure: Junker's Delight
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $22.99

Add PDF $19.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

The first stand-alone adventure for the Starfinder RPG is here! Centuries ago, the Stellar Flare—a science vessel researching the strange dimension known as the Drift—crashed on the surface of Akiton. Now, Vari-13, an android with a claim to the Stellar Flare, wants to find the wreck and rescue its valuable research. But Vari-13 will need help, and that's where your heroes come in. The Stellar Flare's remains lie in the middle of an enormous junk field filled with malfunctioning technology, inhabited by predatory creatures, and fought over by territorial space goblins. And there are whispers of an enormous robot made entirely of junk that wanders the scrapyards, immune to magic and eager to destroy everything in its path. Can your heroes broker a peace, reach the wreckage, and defend it against an army of scavengers? Junker's Delight is a complete Starfinder adventure for 1st-level characters written by Jason Keeley and Misha Bushyager. It features strange new alien creatures, new spells and equipment, and an in-depth look at Khefak Depot, a rough-and-tumble Akitonian settlement home to countless adventures!

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-343-0

Junker's Delight is sanctioned for use in Starfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure and Chronicle sheets are available as a free download (5.4 MB PDF).

Note: Starfinder Adventures are not included in the Starfinder Adventure Path Subscription. Starfinder Adventure Path Subscribers who preorder Starfinder Adventure: Junker's Delight will receive a free download when their physical copy ships.

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Roll20 Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 3 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7601


See Also:

1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.50/5 (based on 6 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Charming

5/5

Junker's delight is a charming adventure that brings the world of Akiton to life. You get invested in the world, the people, and the story early on. It's a fun adventure and a great way to start off in the Starfinder universe. I've enjoyed this product and have gifted it to several of my friends as Junker’s Delight is among the best times I've had while playing this system.

I love this adventure played it twice and its still just an amazing adventure. Its got a great setting and makes Akiton come alive.


Great for new GMs

5/5

NO SPOILERS

There’s a lot to really love about Junker’s Delight, a standalone adventure designed for 1-st level characters. It is a model on how to write an adventure to support a first-time or relatively new GM because it includes several sidebars explaining tricky concepts and creatures get full stat-blocks (with included explanations of special abilities). A GM won’t have to flip through six books to understand what a creature can do! The setting (a massive scrapyard and the community that has grown around it) is interesting and memorable. The layout and art design (borders, fonts, etc.) supports the feel of the adventure, and the individual pieces of artwork are top-notch. (the pencil-sketch combat maps are a bit odd, but not problematic) I played Junker’s Delight in a game run by my 11-year-old son, and the experience was like night and day compared to when he’s had to interpret adventures written for experienced adult GMs. An RPG can only thrive if GMs are willing to run it, and this is the sort of product Paizo should try to get into as many hands as possible. In short, it’s a perfect introduction to the game.

In the rest of this non-spoilery section, I’ll cover the book’s back matter.

First up is “Khefak Depot” (four pages), a gazetteer of the settlement featured in the adventure. As gazetteers go, it’s okay, but probably needed to be longer and more detailed if Khefak Depot is intended to serve as a potential “homebase” for the PCs beyond the end of the adventure. It could also have better integrated the scrap-theme. There are a few cool bits, like a tourist-trap called Necroplace (where visitors can simulate being undead), an ominous NPC called the Water Dealer (one could certainly generate some adventure hooks relating to him), and another themed resort called Thassilon (I wasn’t sure if any mention of it survived the Gap!).

Second is “Adventure Toolbox” (ten pages), a real grab-bag of material. It begins with a few ways the PCs could have come together for the adventure (I thought they were pretty ordinary, but serviceable). Next up is junk-themed gear. I really like the idea of wrist-mounted garbage-disposal blades! Some of the higher level items get stupid in both price and concept (an artefact of the system’s insistence that all weapons and armor have multiple types situated within a formula). Scavenging a garbage disposal mechanism from a scrapyard for a weapon at Level 1 is cool; spending 170,000 credits for a Level 16 version is just goofy. Along with junk-themed gear, we also get some junk-themed spells. The spell junk armor is particularly nice for a character intending to “make do with what’s around” (like my penny-pincher, Nixxer). A new archetype, the junkomancer, is included. It’s a nice idea, but honestly probably not worth it for the vast majority of builds. Three new creatures are included: a drift phantom (forgettable), a junk golem (good), and a thastertoad (forgettable). And last, there’s two brief one-paragraph long suggestions on how the GM can continue the fun after the adventure proper is over.

SPOILERS!:

Okay, let’s get into the adventure! It’s divided into three parts.

Part 1 (“Pest Control”) starts with the PCs arriving at Khefak Depot and quickly intervening (presumably) in an alleyway shakedown of a ysoki named Riddle by a street gang named the True Warriors. After running off the toughs, the PCs learn that Riddle operates a junk shop and, in thanks for saving her, offers them a reward and even jobs. It’s a strong opening and will get the players involved in the action immediately, which I think is important for new players especially.

Riddle’s job for the PCs is to investigate the disappearance of an android historian named Vari-13. Vari-13 came into Riddle’s shop looking for a piece of salvage that they claimed could “change the galaxy.” Assuming the PCs agree to the job, the adventure then has an abstract system of skill checks to find different clues. I thought this bit could have been done better, as it requires a GM to improv in-story reasons the PCs are finding these clues, and improv isn’t necessarily an easy skill for a beginner GM. In any event, the clues will lead the PCs to area of the vast scrapyards around Khefak Depot called the Caryards (full of wrecked starships). The PCs need to navigate a bit of a maze and fend off some khefaks (big scorpion-like predators) and junk-related hazards before finding Vari-13 hiding in a trailer.

The android explains that they’ve been looking for a lost science research vessel named the Stellar Flare, believing that the crew discovered a way to draw power directly from the Drift that could be used to support entire energy infrastructures. With some work, the PCs are able to use the data that they’ve obtained to triangulate a likely position for the Stellar Flare—deeper in the scrapyards.

As I mentioned in the opening paragraph of this review, a lot has been done to support a new GM here. There are sidebars specifically devoted to the first fight, how to divide XP afterward, how to handle radiation (though it doesn’t mention that poisons impact HP), how to level up characters, and more. Although khefaks appear in a volume of the Alien Archive, the GM doesn’t have to look up their stats—instead, the adventure itself gives a full write-up and even explains what concepts like “mindless” mean. I think it’s bound to make a difference in making the adventure easier to run.

Part 2 (“The Last Scrap War”) begins with probably my favourite piece of artwork from the book: a goblin picking his nose while his ally looks on in embarrassment. In this part of the adventure, the PCs realise that the Stellar Flare is in an area of the scrapyard contested by two rival gangs: the Trashhunters (goblins) and the Unbroods (ikeshtis). Fortunately, one member of each group has struck up an unlikely friendship together, and the PCs can get them to help out. They’re a really funny duo. There’s a multi-part fetch quest in this section as the PCs need to assemble parts of an EMP key that will allow entry into the force-shielded starship. In true cinematic style, just as the PCs get what they need, both rival groups converge and threaten to unleash war on each other, with the PCs caught in the middle! This bit could indeed be a real challenge for low-level characters, but hopefully victims will just get knocked out and not killed. Useful sidebars (on things like spell gems—complicated!, how broken items work, how Aid Another works, etc.) continue to appear.

Part 3 (“Flare Out”) has the PCs investigating the interior of the Stellar Flare. Exploring the inside of a dangerous starship is a Starfinder staple (the equivalent of a dungeon crawl). The real challenge here is the inclusion of two “driftdeads” (incorporeal undead)—unless the party has the right tools, fighting incorporeal creatures can quickly become a losing proposition. There is a very handy sidebar for the GM on how incorporeal creatures work, but it probably would have been better to save the concept (and the escalated threat level) for a future adventure. The fun and original bit in Part 3 is that after taking control of the ship, the PCs realise they’re about to be invaded! The leader of the True Warrior gang and their minions are on the way, and the PCs need to set up traps and obstacles to slow them down. A lot of creativity can be brought into play here, but there’s a simple system provided for the GM to adjudicate things without getting overwhelmed. A lot of RPGs have the PCs as the aggressors, so it’s fun to switch things around and have them be the defenders for once.

The adventure has a brief conclusion (Vari-13 will need to take some time to sift the data form the Stellar Flare, so no galaxy-changing discoveries right away!) that leaves the PCs in a good position to continue on with a homebrew adventure around Khefak Depot or transition to another published adventure.

Newbie-friendly products are a great way to grow a game, but even as an experienced player I thought the story was strong. All in all, I had a blast with Junker’s Delight, and I bet you will too.


3/5

Fun module except for one fight that was awful. The first two parts of the module were fun, but part 3 was obnoxious. One fight was poorly designed and resulted in characters either being ineffective or sitting out entirely. Several traps/encounters were also annoying.


5/5

Having run this twice I have fallen in love with this Module.
The fights are good
The NPC's delightful
The Town hoppin

There is so much for Characters to do while trying to solve what is going on to be free-forming enough to let them decide what to do.
Highly recommend


This was ... well... a DELIGHT!

5/5

Wow.. what a great module... full of Delightfull NPC's Dastardly Gangs and a Mcguffin Quest that actually made sense (well at least the Goblins thought it did)
As a VERY experienced GM this was a Delight to run and As I had 3 VERY new Players (all from The 5e World) they were amazed at how easy it was to learn the game while aso having fun.
This was also enjoyable for the ONE experienced player too...
As a GM I was amazed and smiled ALOT as I was prepping this (BTW the ROLL20 Conversion is AMAZING too)
This EXPLAINED things so well (I would say a better beginners box than the Beginners Box)
The Barrier Mentioned below did not seem to be an issue to me (My players have not reached it yet but I will simply tell my party it is an Impervious Force Shield right at the door... (edit... yep that worked fine when we played it)
The Treasure issue??? Again not sure the issue ... it was a Technomancers Hoard I would have WONDERED why a Mystic Spell Gem would even be in a Technomancers pile of stuff it would have been incongruousto me. (Edit... Now that I GMd this there is actually a perfect reason why those spells were chosen but it would be a huge spoiler to mention it here... to the OP all I can say is I am very CONFUSED that you did not see why Z had those spell gems) The Book said Great for Soldiers Mechanics and Technomancers (SO my party signed up with a Soldier a Mechanic a Technomancer and a Vanguard) they will not complain.
Great JOB to all involved.


1 to 5 of 6 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 147 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?

I would want about 6 a year, need enough adventure to last about 3 or 4 four to five hour sessions (so about 12 to 16 significant encounters), and I would be fine with using existing flip-mats or flip-tiles, but would like to see a mix of using new ones and using old ones or using self-contained support (not feeling picky about that).


Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?

If we're alternating APs and standalone that means we're already gonna be getting 5-6 standalones a year doesn't it?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?
If we're alternating APs and standalone that means we're already gonna be getting 5-6 standalones a year doesn't it?

Thats what I imagined, though paizo devs were being pretty vague in Known Direction Podcast about "new ways to bring content" or something, so thats why I started worrying we are just gonna get more Alexa adventures or something xD


8 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe?

I find this interesting as I’ve heard several Paizo people talk about needing this as a known quantity before offering a subscription. To me this makes no difference - the PF modules went from monthly to bimonthly to...whenever we can (with various attempts to get back on a regular schedule) and it never made a difference to me.

Because you’re so good about cancelling it’s really not a big deal. If a “big month” fell due and I decided to skip the module subscription, CS would handle it for me and I could just sign up again next month.

For me the benefit of a subscription is that I don’t miss anything. I’m not actually committed to buying anything so the regularity won’t really matter in terms of do I subscribe or not.

(In terms of what I want - one a month was great. The golden age of Pathfinder modules was when we got one of them a month alongside one AP, imo).

Quote:
What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure?

I like the shorter 32 page modules rather than 64 page “super modules”.

I find 16-pagers too short. I’m looking for something that lasts six to eight hours at the table.
Quote:
Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?

If it can utilise published maps (either old sets or specially written maps) it’s way better, but it’s not a dealbreaker if that is just unworkable.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

And I definitely prefer the 64 page big modules, 32 modules often felt cramped to me. Like as if writer wanted to write bigger one, but couldn't, so had to cut out flavor so that mechanics of adventure fit in.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?

My answers: Any number per year, any length, but definitely self-contained and not paired with any sort of map. Currently I would want all of the standalone adventures and all of the maps, but in the past I might have been interested in one and not the other and thus do not want a single subscription to mix disparate product types (as the old Pathfinder Campaign Setting line did when it slipped in a map folio for the latest adventure path every six months). At least the flip-mats and flip-tiles are similar enough to each other in terms of how they are used that I don't mind them being in the same subscription.


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Ashanderai wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?
I would want about 6 a year, need enough adventure to last about 3 or 4 four to five hour sessions (so about 12 to 16 significant encounters), and I would be fine with using existing flip-mats or flip-tiles, but would like to see a mix of using new ones and using old ones or using self-contained support (not feeling picky about that).

Actually, come to think of it, I would be fine with shorter adventures, too. Those short and quick adventures that I can play over the course of just one or two sessions were great, too. So, I guess in the end, I am fine with something longer than a PFS Scenario, whatever length it might be.


David knott 242 wrote:
...but definitely self-contained and not paired with any sort of map. Currently I would want all of the standalone adventures and all of the maps, but in the past I might have been interested in one and not the other and thus do not want a single subscription to mix disparate product types (as the old Pathfinder Campaign Setting line did when it slipped in a map folio for the latest adventure path every six months). At least the flip-mats and flip-tiles are similar enough to each other in terms of how they are used that I don't mind them being in the same subscription.

I didn’t take Aaron’s question to be “do you want maps in this subscription?” but “do you want these modules to use maps from the (still separate) map subscription?”


Y'all know I love me some Starfinder (Charter Superscriber!) but I think we need to tamp down expectations here. The adventure path line has always been touted as the core of Paizo's business model, and going from monthly to bimonthly isn't something a company does when sales are stellar. This standalone adventure may just be a one-shot experiment or even a way to take advantage of the first chapter of an AP that was written before the decision to slow down that product line. If sales ofJunker's Delight are through the roof, we might imagine a Starfinder module subscription, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. After all, the product doesn't even go on sale for *seven* months :)


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I think one per quarter is a good rate. No preference on if they jive with maps or tiles.


Once per quarter works well enough for me too. The idea of a fluctuating page count also kind of appeals to me; one freedom of having a line like this separate from the AP line AND SFS line is that you don't have any preset constraints. So one quarter having a 32 page short offering, the next a monster 128 page, and then 3 64 pagers in a row, all depending on the kind of story that best supports what's coming out around the same time and what resources you have to develop them, seems pretty appealing to me.

The more frequent and regular the subscription, the more I'd favor a more regular page count though. So if for some reason you picked 6 a year and stuck to it, I'd prefer most to be either 64 or 48 pages, with the occasional 96 thrown in for special events.

I'd definitely like you to use maps already released or concurrently released as well, so that everything can more readily dovetail with each other.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
...but definitely self-contained and not paired with any sort of map. Currently I would want all of the standalone adventures and all of the maps, but in the past I might have been interested in one and not the other and thus do not want a single subscription to mix disparate product types (as the old Pathfinder Campaign Setting line did when it slipped in a map folio for the latest adventure path every six months). At least the flip-mats and flip-tiles are similar enough to each other in terms of how they are used that I don't mind them being in the same subscription.
I didn’t take Aaron’s question to be “do you want maps in this subscription?” but “do you want these modules to use maps from the (still separate) map subscription?”

If that is what he meant -- I definitely prefer using referencing existing map products over unique maps.

Marketing & Media Manager

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks all. Product decisions for 2021 have been made, of course. The Marketing Pollster in me is inquiring.

Yes, I meant, "do you want these modules to use maps from the (still separate) map subscription?”

I will say that there is product experimentation happing this year and we have not revealed all. The Powers That Be may not offer a SF Adventure Sub right out of the gate. Or they might. All will be revealed in the fullness of time. We have months before a decision is needed. Adventures Ahead!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Jhaeman wrote:
The adventure path line has always been touted as the core of Paizo's business model, and going from monthly to bimonthly isn't something a company does when sales are stellar. This standalone adventure may just be a one-shot experiment or even a way to take advantage of the first chapter of an AP that was written before the decision to slow down that product line.

When it was announced, they indicated it wasn’t because Starfinder was doing poorly, but that they wanted to explore different ways of delivering Starfinder material. I’m pretty sure they’ve already announced that the module line will alternate with the AP, so although there’s no product pages, there’s half a dozen modules lined up for writing/developing/editing/publishing.

It seems to me they use Starfinder as a bit of a “safe” testing ground (3 part APs being the obvious example).


I would like a separate Map product for these one offs please myself :)

Tom

Wayfinders Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I personally would not mind if these adventures made some use of existing Flip-mats. Create the custom map when the adventure requires it, but also make use of the existing flip-map line. Nor would I mind if the adventures varied in length. I used to adore running PF1 modules over the course of a couple of sessions for players, getting 6-8 hours of gaming story for my players.

Modules gave us a chance to really dig into a story without all the huge time commitment of an AP. Currently, I do both APs and scenarios and would love more mid-length content in between.

Heck yes I will be subscribing when that option is offered.

Hmm

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I've somehow got this fool's hope that maybe this has actual chance of being picked up by roll20 since stand alone module for level 1 should be less big of investment than even 3 part ap :p Would be really nice for me if it was


Starfinder Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:

Thanks all. Product decisions for 2021 have been made, of course. The Marketing Pollster in me is inquiring.

Yes, I meant, "do you want these modules to use maps from the (still separate) map subscription?”

I will say that there is product experimentation happing this year and we have not revealed all. The Powers That Be may not offer a SF Adventure Sub right out of the gate. Or they might. All will be revealed in the fullness of time. We have months before a decision is needed. Adventures Ahead!

I would like to see the map packs used in the modules. That'd be great. Also I wouldn't complain if there was another map subscription. But still, I want a subscription option.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I also would love a subscription!

Regarding frequency, somewhere between 1 every two years and 2 every month is probably reasonable for me.

If the adventures/modules drop below one every two years I'll keep the subscription and be a little sad there isn't much happening with it, basically what happened to me with PF1's modules subscription.

If there's more than two adventures/modules a month then I need to talk to my higher-ups (i.e. lovely spouse) and confirm that we have the shelf space to expand our collection that fast. We don't want a containment breach!

I'm fine with any and all map options so long as the traps and secret doors aren't flattened onto the custom maps again. :P

Marketing & Media Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.

So now is it public knowledge that Starfinder Adventure Paths will be released every other month because the feedback was we were making them too fast. The Standalone Adventures have been announced and the first Starfinder One-Shot has been mentioned with details going at the end of the month.

In the "open" months we will sometimes print standalone Adventures and other months release PDF One-Shots. We won't be combining the printed and PDFs into one subscription at this time. If/when there is a printed Adventure subscription, that will be decided by the Exec Team. Now you know what I know. I'm excited by the diversity of products and hope you are too. :)

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I do still wish that still means that for first year we will be getting adventure every other month :'D

Like if the plan is to alternate between adventures and oneshots, that does mean there is no currently plan for "level 1, level 4, level 7, level 10, level 13 and level 17 adventure", but that would have been really handy from from my perspective for

1) intermission games(especially since I like having those at higher level) 2) for "we can run this module post ap for few levels before doing homebrew(or just two modules for entire level 20 experience) 3) for the "we could run six modules that cover all levels as sort of episodic mini ap :'D

Marketing & Media Manager

This adventure does not have a content note or warning.

Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:

I do still wish that still means that for first year we will be getting adventure every other month :'D

Like if the plan is to alternate between adventures and oneshots, that does mean there is no currently plan for "level 1, level 4, level 7, level 10, level 13 and level 17 adventure", but that would have been really handy from from my perspective for

1) intermission games(especially since I like having those at higher level) 2) for "we can run this module post ap for few levels before doing homebrew(or just two modules for entire level 20 experience) 3) for the "we could run six modules that cover all levels as sort of episodic mini ap :'D

Thanks for you input. The team is still producing something every month. I can't say that is that exact level pattern at this time.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Will there be some kind of way to get a free PDF when preordering this adventure for subscribers of some kind? Or will this be the first Paizo product that does not offer this?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
DJEternalDarkness wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Thanks for the interest! We don’t have a subscription to announce at this time. In Starfinder fashion, we are exploring and experimenting a bit in 2021 and want flexibility.

Aaron, let me join the call for requesting an excellent standalone adventure subscription. I would subscribe, as would many others. Please open this up for subscriptions!

Hmm

It is being discussed above my pay grade. Rest assured your interest has been communicated.

Aaron, Aaron, Aaron, we need subscriptions options here.

Or we will keep typing this to you...

Haha, OK, let me ask some distracting questions. How many adventures a year would you need to see in order to subscribe? What is your ideal length/page-count/playtime for each adventure? Would you want it paired with a Flip-Mat, Flip-Tile, or be self-contained?

How many adventures - as many as Paizo can put out but it would be nice to get something in the off months where we aren't getting SF APs.

Length - anything from AP length a 3AP length adventure.

Flip maps/tiles etc are always welcome but not required. Love SF think its an amazing setting, just sad it doesn't have the PF2e base rules (seriously I would love even a quick and dirty SF CRB options conversion).

Marketing & Media Manager

Zaister wrote:
Will there be some kind of way to get a free PDF when preordering this adventure for subscribers of some kind? Or will this be the first Paizo product that does not offer this?

To my knowledge, at this time, the Adventure will only be sold at full price at release in both print and PDF formats.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Will there be some kind of way to get a free PDF when preordering this adventure for subscribers of some kind? Or will this be the first Paizo product that does not offer this?
To my knowledge, at this time, the Adventure will only be sold at full price at release in both print and PDF formats.

Aaron, in the past, for products that do not have a subscription those who have pre-ordered get a PDF along with it.

Anticipating this would be the case, I have pre-ordered both of the Starfinder modules. To be blunt, I collect in paper -- but I run exclusively online. The PDF is what I actually use.

If a PDF is available when pre-ordering, all is well. If not, that's not so good (understatement).

There is still some time to go here before July, but clarity on this subject would be appreciated.

Marketing & Media Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Steel_Wind wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Will there be some kind of way to get a free PDF when preordering this adventure for subscribers of some kind? Or will this be the first Paizo product that does not offer this?
To my knowledge, at this time, the Adventure will only be sold at full price at release in both print and PDF formats.

Aaron, in the past, for products that do not have a subscription those who have pre-ordered get a PDF along with it.

Anticipating this would be the case, I have pre-ordered both of the Starfinder modules. To be blunt, I collect in paper -- but I run exclusively online. The PDF is what I actually use.

If a PDF is available when pre-ordering, all is well. If not, that's not so good (understatement).

There is still some time to go here before July, but clarity on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks for the context. I know that the Starfinder Battles were available to preorder at a discount because there is not subscription. I have not been told what we plan to do with this line other than there is no sub at this time. I will amplify information when I have it. Cheers.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Seconded, the shipping costs to Germany for the book only (and no PDF) would kill the orders for Starfinder Adventures for me.

Marketing & Media Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Oliver von Spreckelsen wrote:
Seconded, the shipping costs to Germany for the book only (and no PDF) would kill the orders for Starfinder Adventures for me.

There will be PDF's available for purchase. I have no information on discounted or free PDFs for subscribers at this time. I will inquire as to our intentions. There is time.


Starfinder Superscriber

Hey,
How high can the PCs level-up to in this Adventure? 1 through 4+?

Marketing & Media Manager

jrock9430 wrote:

Hey,

How high can the PCs level-up to in this Adventure? 1 through 4+?

The PCs should be 4th level by the end.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:

I do still wish that still means that for first year we will be getting adventure every other month :'D

Like if the plan is to alternate between adventures and oneshots, that does mean there is no currently plan for "level 1, level 4, level 7, level 10, level 13 and level 17 adventure", but that would have been really handy from from my perspective for

1) intermission games(especially since I like having those at higher level) 2) for "we can run this module post ap for few levels before doing homebrew(or just two modules for entire level 20 experience) 3) for the "we could run six modules that cover all levels as sort of episodic mini ap :'D

Thanks for you input. The team is still producing something every month. I can't say that is that exact level pattern at this time.

Aaron! We still want subscription options on for adventures. It'll be so much easier than actually having to look every other month to add them.

AND YES I AM LAZY, deal with it!

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

It is now mid-June, with this coming out in about a month. Is there any further news regarding either a subscription, or the bundling the PDF with a pre-order?

Marketing & Media Manager

sanwah68 wrote:
It is now mid-June, with this coming out in about a month. Is there any further news regarding either a subscription, or the bundling the PDF with a pre-order?

There is no Starfinder Adventure sub at this time. I have inquired about the bundled PDF.


Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Is there a reason for not offering a subscription? This is really unusual considering your normal business model.

Marketing & Media Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Zaister wrote:
Is there a reason for not offering a subscription? This is really unusual considering your normal business model.

As I've said previously, this year is an experiment with the Starfinder AP frequency, new standalone Adventures, and One-Shot balance of products. Paizo is not committing to an Adventure subscription at this time. My personal belief is that sales will be strong and that we will see one eventually, but those decision are made above me. I'm the messenger of what is and what will be in the near term, not so much the why or why not.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

QED - Therefore: No book sale from me. PDF only when I am going to play this thing (in other words - probably never). I will look at it at my LFGS and make my decision there. I am profoundly puzzled by this decision.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Oliver von Spreckelsen wrote:
QED - Therefore: No book sale from me. PDF only when I am going to play this thing (in other words - probably never). I will look at it at my LFGS and make my decision there. I am profoundly puzzled by this decision.

Agreed. No subscription, no sale.

Without a subscription and the free PDF to mitigate the costs of shipping to the UK this is not economical - especially considering Paizo's baffling insistence in the past year or so of shipping each book in a separate package and the consequential big hike in delivery costs.

For a subscription this is *JUST* balanced in the green, without a subscription it is way in the red financially.

Stop experimenting and go back to providing a quality service.

P.S.

Can you please get someone to answer emails to consignments(AT)paizo.com that have been ignored for over a year?

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

This is purely reading more into Aaron's statement. So this should only be taken as one plausible way to understand the motivations.
First start with keeping in mind that there are finite resources Paizo has to developing new things, and any change in the development pattern carries risks.
I'm imagining that Starfinder AP sales have been respectable, they were certainly strong enough initially that they went from every other month to monthly. Respectable of course is different from cash cow, but Starfinder is still young and certainly caters potentially to a distinct niche from Pathfinder and a lot of other RPGs. Looking at what they are doing it's clear that up to this point they've done all the standard things you do with an RPG except stand alone adventures. Which potentially appeals to a very different type of player compared to APs, so it is a growth opportunity but also a risk. The benefit of not immediately committing to a subscription is that if the sales aren't strong they can go back to monthly APs if they want, keep with every other month APs and release fewer adventures all without 'canceling a subscription line'. There is a lot of negative connotation with that. It also sounds like they maybe have some other ideas in store for some of these off months.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

No sub or PDF for AP subscribers => no book sale from me (and I am a completionist).

Reason: Paying for shipping to Germany for the book plus paying extra for the PDF means I will have costs of more than double the normal asking price to have the book in paper and PDF.

Plan:
Step 1: Buy the book at my FLGS (no shipping costs there).
Step 2: Buy the PDF, when I need it (i.e. I will DM the adventure). Since I have not run a Starfinder campaign yet, the probability of this happening is between 0 and 1%.
Step 3: Ask the same about the next adventure in Starfinder Adventures.

Marketing & Media Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for the feedback from some of our international patrons. We support you in buying in the way that make sense for you, especially including your FLGS. Do we want to increase subs? Yes. Do we want to increase FLGS sales? Yes. Do we want to expand online retailers sales? Yes. Our subscriptions are not for everyone, everywhere, and we continue to discuss ways to add value to them. They were designed for those that don't have a FLSG. We are listening and I expect you'll see good news next calendar year. Adventures Ahead!

Marketing & Media Manager

Antony Walls wrote:
Oliver von Spreckelsen wrote:
QED - Therefore: No book sale from me. PDF only when I am going to play this thing (in other words - probably never). I will look at it at my LFGS and make my decision there. I am profoundly puzzled by this decision.

Agreed. No subscription, no sale.

Without a subscription and the free PDF to mitigate the costs of shipping to the UK this is not economical - especially considering Paizo's baffling insistence in the past year or so of shipping each book in a separate package and the consequential big hike in delivery costs.

For a subscription this is *JUST* balanced in the green, without a subscription it is way in the red financially.

Stop experimenting and go back to providing a quality service.

P.S.

Can you please get someone to answer emails to consignments(AT)paizo.com that have been ignored for over a year?

I'll mention it. I think the consignment and store emails go to same person(s), so the store email may get you a response.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I will definitely preorder this but I will be honest, I would be a LOT happier with a subscription or at the very least a pdf copy bundled in with the purchase.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Is it likely that this adventure (and future adventures) will receive SFS sanctioning at some point -- i.e. that it will be possible to apply a boon from this adventure to an existing SFS character, the way we can with Adventure Path volumes?

Paizo Employee Organized Play Associate

4 people marked this as a favorite.
mizinamo wrote:
Is it likely that this adventure (and future adventures) will receive SFS sanctioning at some point -- i.e. that it will be possible to apply a boon from this adventure to an existing SFS character, the way we can with Adventure Path volumes?

Very likely, yes :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Is there a reason for not offering a subscription? This is really unusual considering your normal business model.
As I've said previously, this year is an experiment with the Starfinder AP frequency, new standalone Adventures, and One-Shot balance of products. Paizo is not committing to an Adventure subscription at this time. My personal belief is that sales will be strong and that we will see one eventually, but those decision are made above me. I'm the messenger of what is and what will be in the near term, not so much the why or why not.

It doesn't make a difference to me whether or not there is a subscription, but if there is no PDF copy included with a pre-order I probably will not buy this. I want both physical and PDF but I won't pay for the same thing twice.

Marketing & Media Manager

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Svardi Eagle-Eye wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Is there a reason for not offering a subscription? This is really unusual considering your normal business model.
As I've said previously, this year is an experiment with the Starfinder AP frequency, new standalone Adventures, and One-Shot balance of products. Paizo is not committing to an Adventure subscription at this time. My personal belief is that sales will be strong and that we will see one eventually, but those decision are made above me. I'm the messenger of what is and what will be in the near term, not so much the why or why not.
It doesn't make a difference to me whether or not there is a subscription, but if there is no PDF copy included with a pre-order I probably will not buy this. I want both physical and PDF but I won't pay for the same thing twice.

I am happy to announce that Paizo will offer qualified subscribers a free PDF when they preorder Starfinder Adventure: Junker's Delight.

This was our President's intention, it had not trickled down to me yet. I'll let Customer Service post about what makes a qualified subscriber shortly.

Lantern Lodge Customer Service & Community Manager

10 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for nudging this along Aaron!

I've set the product up so it should grant a complimentary PDF for Starfinder Adventure Path Subscribers who preorder this adventure.

To receive a complimentary PDF of Junker's Delight you need:

  • ♳Starfinder Adventure Path subscription
  • ♴Preorder Junker's Delight

The PDF will be granted when a SF AP subscriber's preordered copy of Junker's Delight is processed for shipping from our warehouse.

Please email customer service if you have follow up questions.

51 to 100 of 147 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Adventure: Junker's Delight All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.