Starfinder Adventure Path #44: Allies Against the Eye (Horizons of the Vast 5 of 6)

3.00/5 (based on 1 rating)
Starfinder Adventure Path #44: Allies Against the Eye (Horizons of the Vast 5 of 6)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint
Facebook Twitter Email

Heralds of an organization called The Order of the Culling Shadow announce their presence, proclaiming the eventual destruction of every thinking being in the system. The PCs must spread the terrible news to New Harmony's other charters, as well as reach out to the Pact Worlds and the Veskarium for assistance. Can the heroes navigate political complications and face strange dangers to gain the cooperation of possible allies, or will they go alone into what could possibly be an all-out war?

"Allies Against the Eye" is a Starfinder Roleplaying Game adventure for four 9th-level characters by Jabari Weathers. This adventure continues the Horizons of the Vast Adventure Path, a six-part, bimonthly campaign in which the heroes are at the forefront of exploring and charting a frontier world filled with mystery. This volume also includes an examination against the dangerous cult called The Order of the Culling Shadow, paths to mystical enlightenment, and a selection of unusual alien threats.

Each bi-monthly full-color softcover Starfinder Adventure Path volume contains a new installment of a series of interconnected science-fantasy quests that together create a fully developed plot of sweeping scale and epic challenges. Each 64-page volume of the Starfinder Adventure Path also contains in-depth articles that detail and expand the Starfinder campaign setting and provide new rules, a host of exciting new monsters and alien races, a new planet to explore and starship to pilot, and more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-395-9

Allies Against the Eye is sanctioned for use in Starfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure Path and Chronicle sheets are available as a free download (5.1 MB PDF).

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7244


See Also:

Average product rating:

3.00/5 (based on 1 rating)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Ambush after ambush after ambush after ambush after ambush......

3/5

The ghost encounter in the bunker at the beginning was okay. My group came up with the amusing image of carrying around the bones of the widow to her husband/children's remains.

The meat of this AP, going around the colonies and doing chores for them so they'll help you out (for what appears to be little mechanical benefit, a +1 to negotiation with the Pact Worlds?) is rather tedious busywork. The meeting with the Pact Worlds is just as tediously bureaucratic as it sounds. The meeting with the Vesk general was fun, but again, by that point when they heard that he had gone out into the cold alone and they'd have to rescue him they almost went "Eff this, get back to us when he comes back".

The cinematic moment halfway through the AP where Bedymm blows a colonist's brains out right in front of you was very well written, but I could sense my players were frustrated they felt like they were watching a cutscene and had no chance to intervene. I could sense they were ready to yell "OKAY, WE GET IT, HE'S EVIL, CAN WE PLEASE JUST KILL HIM NOW?!". They were fully aware it was a trap when they entered and they mostly marvelled at how dumb the enemy crew was inviting 4 heavily armed murderhobos aboard without trying to disarm them.

THEN they wanted to try and carve their way through the ship full of enemies rather than escape (I know, the AP says "this is an option" but should have done more to discourage it -- they only gave up the scheme when they realized 4 people can't pilot a cruiser)

The cruiser ship encounter can kill a player ship if it's not optimized -- that superlaser will shred through most CR 10 ships at this level. They barely got away by the skin of their teeth, which somewhat compensated for how easily they got away from the "trap".

After that it's just ambush after ambush after ambush after ambush after ambush and it gets a little ridiculous. One of my players actually muttered "Oh, son of a *****" after the last ambush at the end of the AP because by that point they had been "surprised" by an attack about 4 times.

The ambush at the end is a great setpiece. The ambushes before that are undertuned. In fact, a lot of this AP came across as undertuned to me. Just lots of encounters that get the crap kicked out of them, never really stood a chance against the group.


Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Announced for February! Product image and description are not final and may be subject to change.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmm curious if the cult in the article will be expanded so that it is usable outside of this AP or if this is first case of "Well you get article on organization you will disassemble during the ap" :D Like even council of thieves didn't get full article detailing them

Acquisitives

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

i need to know if this is a choir of the Devourer.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Yakman wrote:
i need to know if this is a choir of the Devourer.

Its more Draelik related

Acquisitives

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
Yakman wrote:
i need to know if this is a choir of the Devourer.
Its more Draelik related

still Devourer-ish...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Yakman wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
Yakman wrote:
i need to know if this is a choir of the Devourer.
Its more Draelik related
still Devourer-ish...

Foolish outsider.

Alien Archive, Draelik wrote:

While some outsiders mistakenly

conflate the nihilistic philosophy of Ataxxea with that of the Cult of the Devourer, most draeliks find the comparison deeply offensive. To them, their path is a stately and dignified march toward the inevitable
and ordained end of all things, while the Devourer’s followers cheapen the entire experience and ruin the work of generations by thrashing around in childlike tantrums, attempting to tear reality’s fabric instead of embracing its beautiful unraveling.

Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Back cover text:

PERFECT STRANGERS

A seemingly new player appears in the system: a group of cultists who steal a prototype that could protect New Harmony from an encroaching, invisible threat. The PCs will need to reach out to the planet’s other charters, as well as the Pact Worlds and Veskarium, to make alliances to stand against this group in the coming months. Will the heroes make new allies or will they try to go it alone?

This Starfinder Adventure Path volume continues the Horizons of the Vast Adventure Path and includes:
• “Allies Against the Eye,” a Starfinder adventure for 9th-level characters, by Jabari Weathers.
• A look at the mysterious cult known as the Order of the Culling Shadow, by Kim Frandsen.
• A toolbox featuring options for diplomatic characters, ways to unlock mystic power, a collection of strange creatures, and a glimpse at a world covered in glass, by Alexander Augunas, Jeremy Corff, John Godek III, Logan Harper, Jenny Jarzabski, Andrew Mullen, Jess Nevins, Jim Seals, and Jabari Weathers.
• Statistics and deck plans for a stealthy ship used by smugglers, pirates, and worse, by Jabari Weathers.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Development Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
Hmm curious if the cult in the article will be expanded so that it is usable outside of this AP or if this is first case of "Well you get article on organization you will disassemble during the ap" :D Like even council of thieves didn't get full article detailing them

We did anticipate that and have included enough information to be able to use this cult outside of the AP (or even after the AP!)

Wayfinders Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Horizons of the Vast! Volume 5! So exciting!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The zeitgeist mystic connection is missing connection spells. Also, the dual zeitgeist class ability should come in at 18th level, not 19th.

Until/unless we get errata I'm house ruling the following:

Spells: 1st–4th–change attitude; replaced by 1st–comprehend customs (Character Operations Manual), 2nd–spiritual consultation (Tech Revolution), 3rd–remembrance (Galactic Magic), 5th–commune with planet (Character Operations Manual), 6th–mind swap (Alien Archive 3)


Repeating the request that we get a fix of some sort for the missing connection spells for the Mystic Zeitgeist connection.

Marketing & Media Manager

Request received.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Development Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Mangrum wrote:

The zeitgeist mystic connection is missing connection spells. Also, the dual zeitgeist class ability should come in at 18th level, not 19th.

Until/unless we get errata I'm house ruling the following:

Spells: 1st–4th–change attitude; replaced by 1st–comprehend customs (Character Operations Manual), 2nd–spiritual consultation (Tech Revolution), 3rd–remembrance (Galactic Magic), 5th–commune with planet (Character Operations Manual), 6th–mind swap (Alien Archive 3)

Hey, whoops!

A real oversight on our part. Sorry!

I like the way you think John Mangrum, but I think it needs a little tweaking.

Spells: 1st–4th–spiritual consultation (Tech Revolution); replaced by 1st–comprehend customs (Character Operations Manual), 2nd–social reset (Galactic Magic), 3rd–remembrance (Galactic Magic), 4th–discern lies, 5th–retrocognition


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hey, I was close!


Jason Keeley wrote:
John Mangrum wrote:

The zeitgeist mystic connection is missing connection spells. Also, the dual zeitgeist class ability should come in at 18th level, not 19th.

Until/unless we get errata I'm house ruling the following:

Spells: 1st–4th–change attitude; replaced by 1st–comprehend customs (Character Operations Manual), 2nd–spiritual consultation (Tech Revolution), 3rd–remembrance (Galactic Magic), 5th–commune with planet (Character Operations Manual), 6th–mind swap (Alien Archive 3)

Hey, whoops!

A real oversight on our part. Sorry!

I like the way you think John Mangrum, but I think it needs a little tweaking.

Spells: 1st–4th–spiritual consultation (Tech Revolution); replaced by 1st–comprehend customs (Character Operations Manual), 2nd–social reset (Galactic Magic), 3rd–remembrance (Galactic Magic), 4th–discern lies, 5th–retrocognition

So no 6th level spell and 2 4th? Or am I misreading...


Spiritual Consultation is a 1-6 level spell, the suggested one, Change Attitude, is 1-4. I think Jason just changed the name without fixing the level range, so Spiritual Consultation is the 6th level spell.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Development Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ah yes, a typo of course! This is what happens when editors don't look at my stuff.


Yeah, my assumption was the 4 should've been a 6 but I figured double checking is a good call. In case the 4 was correct and something else a typo.

Marketing & Media Manager

Thanks Jason!


Not sure if mentioned before, but my PDF copies both have waydana-5 in Icebound and in Allies against the eye.

Marketing & Media Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Styrofoam wrote:
Not sure if mentioned before, but my PDF copies both have waydana-5 in Icebound and in Allies against the eye.

Indeed. The correction is in process internally.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

For anyone still curious, the errors in the PDF are not present in the print version.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Adventure Path #44: Allies Against the Eye (Horizons of the Vast 5 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.