Pathfinder Beginner Box

5.00/5 (based on 3 ratings)
Pathfinder Beginner Box

Add Print Edition $39.99

Add PDF $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Take the first step into an amazing world of fantasy adventure! The Pathfinder Beginner Box contains everything you need to learn how to play the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, including rules to create your own fantasy hero and tools to make your own amazing stories.

Will you be a courageous fighter, charging headfirst into battle, or a sly rogue, moving quietly to strike at foes from the shadows? Maybe you will be a knowledgeable wizard, wielding incredible arcane spells or a wise and pious cleric, using the power of your deity to shape the world for the better. It is all up to you!

Inside you will find a rich toolbox, filled with everything you need to get started, including rules for character generation, an introductory adventure, guidelines to build your own campaign, character sheets, a full-color map, character pawns, and dice. This deluxe box set is the ideal introduction to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, leading the way to a lifetime of adventure!

The Pathfinder Beginner Box includes:

  • An 80-page Hero's Handbook, including rules for character generation, a solo adventure, skills, spells, and equipment.
  • A 96-page Game Master's Handbook, containing an introductory adventure, over 20 pages of monsters, rules for building your own adventure, and magic items.
  • Four premade characters so you can jump right into the action and four blank character sheets if you want to make your own hero.
  • Over 100 character and monster pawns to use on the full-color double-sided adventure map.
  • Four game reference cards to help players remember their actions.
  • A complete set of polyhedral dice, including a d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, and d4. (Available to purchase separately here!)

ISBN: 978-1-64078-284-6



Note: Due to the special nature of this product, the Pathfinder Beginner Box is not included in any of our subscriptions.

The adventure in the Pathfinder Beginner Box, "Menace Under Otari," is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure and Chronicle sheet are available as a free download (761 kb PDF).

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Foundry Virtual Tabletop
Roll20 Virtual Tabletop
SoundSet on Syrinscape
Archives of Nethys

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO2106


See Also:

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 3 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Really fun dungeon crawl

5/5


Actually tops the 1E beginner box

5/5

Context: I own the 2E Beginner Box in both PDF and print (where it truly shines).

The good: This box really offers unparalleled value for money in terms of the physical components. Everything you need to play is here. I especially liked the fact that six player reference cards were included, making them useful for games that include more than the four included pregens. Also noteworthy is the selection of pawns, which makes an ideal supplement to the Bestiary Box with respect to additional low-level baddies. The included adventure also seems well-crafted. Finally, I love that -- unlike the 1E beginner box -- the rules are fully compatible with the "full-fat" game. These factors combine to make the package compelling, even for established players.

The bad: Providing a flip-mat with one blank side would have better supported homebrew adventures, possibly extending the utility of the box. Speaking of the included flip-mat, the squares are -- like the Star-Finder basic flip map -- a bit too large. Not a huge deal, as this map probably won't be mixed and matched with other maps/tiles, but seeing this continue to happen years down the road is unfortunate.

The ugly: The D4 is numbered wrong? :P

(*****)


Menace Under Otari - Solid!

5/5

This review is just for the adventure portion included in the box. Menace Under Otari, as a classic dungeon crawl, is XP-thick, and I like this, as a feature of this product; you get to level in the adventure, and fight the final fight as 2nd level. That's a win in my book for the players. Diplomacy-based PCs may feel less useful in this adventure, but luckily all PF2E classes have pretty good balance and are able to contribute. If playing with 4 players, I'd recommend rewarding each hero a hero point per hour of play, or at the very least every two hours. With so many die rolls, those will come in handy.

Without giving too much away, the adventure has a good mix of different difficulty-level combats, some terrain challenges, and a puzzle. All of this is great for teaching the game.

If you plan to orient players to Otari and its locations and NPCs (say as a non-Pathfinder Society adventure, or to start the beginning of a campaign), I would definitely allow 5 hours for each session, so 10 hours for both parts. I GM'ed it in one go, and in retrospect, would've broken it into two sessions. If running it in one go 10 hours would allow you to take some breaks throughout, if just to break up the slog through the dungeon.

If running this online, I'd insist player come early for characters and training, unless they are good at figuring out VTTs, and experienced PF2E players. One other thing. Ask players to have their 2nd level choices decided before game time, as the game assumes that you will level before the end fight.

Overall, I'd love to play this particular adventure, because I like dungeon crawls, the tactical challenge they present, and this is, imho, a great beginner adventure. That said, the sanctioning document is very liberal with interpretation on how to run it, think "campaign mode", so I allowed any class/ancestry combos, but not rare backgrounds. Also, I had 5 players, only scaled up a few fights. 4 players may take a bit shorter than 10 hours.

Enjoy this fine product!


51 to 100 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Any update on the release date? October is nearly here and i'm hype hoping to use this to initiate my son-in-law soon!


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber

It's listed in the November shipping thread in the Customer Service forum

November 2020 New Releases

Shipping is supposed to start Oct 26 if you've pre-ordered it.


Any update on whether a PDF will be available to those who preorder the box? In a covid world the availability of, at least, the document intended for new players seems essential.


Ituralde wrote:
Any update on whether a PDF will be available to those who preorder the box? In a covid world the availability of, at least, the document intended for new players seems essential.

By new players I meant just players. The Heroes Guide or whatever it is named.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Ituralde wrote:
Any update on whether a PDF will be available to those who preorder the box? In a covid world the availability of, at least, the document intended for new players seems essential.

I know this isn't part of any subscription, but I would be excited about pre ordering if I got the digital assets as well. You guys retro gave the digital assets to the Accessory subscribers for the Spell Cards. Would be nice if we could get an official comment on this possibility.

Again. I can read, I know it isn't a subscription, but if they treated it like the Spell Cards I would already have this in my pre order side cart.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

Hi, are there any plans to sanction the adventure in the beginner box?
I think this would be a great start for many players, and if we just could hand out chronicles and Paizo IDs at the end, it would be a great opportunity to get some of them also started on org play...


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I am also wondering if it is possible to get PDFs of this along with physical version.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Please please please PLEASE sell these dice sets, reference cards & character sheets separately. Don't make me buy 5 separate boxes :(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber
Jader7777 wrote:
Please please please PLEASE sell these dice sets, reference cards & character sheets separately. Don't make me buy 5 separate boxes :(

Paizo allows you to make as many copies of the character sheets as you need for personal use.

If I remember correctly, you can also make multiple copies of the reference sheets.

All you would need to buy separately would be dice sets, which are readily available at your local gaming store or here in the Paizo store.


CrystalSeas wrote:


All you would need to buy separately would be dice sets, which are readily available at your local gaming store or here in the Paizo store.

I can't see the Beginner Box Dice anywhere. Unless you mean I should buy 5 different coloured dice sets and pull them apart?


Jader7777 wrote:
CrystalSeas wrote:


All you would need to buy separately would be dice sets, which are readily available at your local gaming store or here in the Paizo store.
I can't see the Beginner Box Dice anywhere. Unless you mean I should buy 5 different coloured dice sets and pull them apart?

Yes, that's what they meant, if you cannot find a mixed-color dice set that is to your liking. Paizo doesn't manufacture dice; they specialize in print products.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

They released a new Product Page, hopefully they will link it from the Pathfinder drop down up top like they did Starfinder

You can download the character sheets now. Expect they will have all of the materials eventually as digital assets.

https://paizo.com/pathfinder/beginnerbox?fbclid=IwAR2VLY3ck0vWqn59_Mp1vmxqk jLvlHEkR5GVfNr_KylI0n6dgd-NsLzUVbk

Go to Linkified.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber
Jader7777 wrote:
I should buy 5 different coloured dice sets and pull them apart?

Oh, that's an interesting idea.

In most groups I've played with, each person has their own distinct color for their seven dice. That's why sets are sold together that way.

But if you want everyone to have a different color for each die, sure, you could do that. Or you could buy a pound of dice and sort them any way you like.


I saw the quick unboxing video for this. Definitely quality content. I had hoped though that they would think outside the box and maybe use a class or two that was different than the fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard. It would have been nice to get maybe barbarian, druid, rogue, and sorcerer. I am disappointed in only three races as well. Maybe we will get an additional class and/or race in a digital supplement like they did with the original Pathfinder Beginner Box. Still the best product I ever bought from Paizo.

Paizo Employee President

Jader7777 wrote:
Please please please PLEASE sell these dice sets, reference cards & character sheets separately. Don't make me buy 5 separate boxes :(

We will have plenty of the dice sets available to purchase on release and Katina will have them up for pre-order soon. Unfortunately we won't have extra player reference cards for purchase though. Hopefully the 5 in the box will be enough.

Paizo Employee President

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jader7777 wrote:
CrystalSeas wrote:


All you would need to buy separately would be dice sets, which are readily available at your local gaming store or here in the Paizo store.
I can't see the Beginner Box Dice anywhere. Unless you mean I should buy 5 different coloured dice sets and pull them apart?

We will have more sets of the dice from the Beginner Box for sale on our site so keep an eye out for them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber
Jeff Alvarez wrote:
Unfortunately we won't have extra player reference cards for purchase though.

Please put that on your 'let's consider this' list. It would be nice as a take-home goody for new players.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Yoshua wrote:

They released a new Product Page, hopefully they will link it from the Pathfinder drop down up top like they did Starfinder

You can download the character sheets now. Expect they will have all of the materials eventually as digital assets.

https://paizo.com/pathfinder/beginnerbox?fbclid=IwAR2VLY3ck0vWqn59_Mp1vmxqk jLvlHEkR5GVfNr_KylI0n6dgd-NsLzUVbk

Go to Linkified.

Both those lead to a 500 error. Apparently Paizo's still having problems.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber

I've been able to download it both times I've clicked that link, including just now after you posted.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Ed Reppert wrote:
Yoshua wrote:

They released a new Product Page, hopefully they will link it from the Pathfinder drop down up top like they did Starfinder

You can download the character sheets now. Expect they will have all of the materials eventually as digital assets.

https://paizo.com/pathfinder/beginnerbox?fbclid=IwAR2VLY3ck0vWqn59_Mp1vmxqk jLvlHEkR5GVfNr_KylI0n6dgd-NsLzUVbk

Go to Linkified.

Both those lead to a 500 error. Apparently Paizo's still having problems.

Boo

Try this:
https://paizo.com/pathfinder/beginnerbox

Linkified

it may have been because they added extra characters.....

Silver Crusade

They do that on any url that isn’t linkified to combat spam.


Jeff Alvarez wrote:
Hopefully the 5 in the box will be enough.

I'm being pedantic, but isn't there only 4 according to the artwork found at: this link.

Specifically this one.

Now if you'll excuse me I must return to my mashing of F5 at the dice page.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CrystalSeas wrote:
Jeff Alvarez wrote:
Unfortunately we won't have extra player reference cards for purchase though.
Please put that on your 'let's consider this' list. It would be nice as a take-home goody for new players.

Stopping in to add +1 for this.

I've already pre-ordered three of these boxes for an Elementary School Library, where the third-, fourth-, and fifth-grade students will be able to take them home and learn to play with their parents. I can promise you those cards will eventually (likely sooner than later) get shredded and/or go missing. To prepare for this, I'll be photocopying & laminating them and using the copies instead. However, I'd much prefer the option of simply buying extra packs straight up from this website instead of adding the extra work to my already long To-Do list.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Pigraven wrote:
CrystalSeas wrote:
Jeff Alvarez wrote:
Unfortunately we won't have extra player reference cards for purchase though.
Please put that on your 'let's consider this' list. It would be nice as a take-home goody for new players.

Stopping in to add +1 for this.

I've already pre-ordered three of these boxes for an Elementary School Library, where the third-, fourth-, and fifth-grade students will be able to take them home and learn to play with their parents. I can promise you those cards will eventually (likely sooner than later) get shredded and/or go missing. To prepare for this, I'll be photocopying & laminating them and using the copies instead. However, I'd much prefer the option of simply buying extra packs straight up from this website instead of adding the extra work to my already long To-Do list.

There's also the option of picking up the PDF. I know I will likely be picking it up so I won't feel guilty about people writing on the pregen characters. Will just print them off.

Wish they were offering the PDF free for pre orders/people who sub to accessories but at 15$ I will probably get it either way.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Even the second-try link led me to a 500 error. Clicking at the top of the webpage, under the Pathfinder tab, "Beginner Box" led me to a 500 error.

I've been getting the 500 error on this PC for the Paizo homepage for several weeks now, with no response on the Website Feedback thread where numerous people have complained about it. Looks like it's also blocking me (and some unknown number of other people) from accessing product pages to order things. That's not good for the company. I sure hope someone comes up with a solution and shares it soon.

EDIT: Although oddly, as I showed the issue to a family member, I still get the 500 error on the Homepage but if I select the Pathfinder-Beginner Box link at top of page from that 500 error, it goes to the Beginner Box page successfully. (shrug)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Cintra Bristol wrote:

Even the second-try link led me to a 500 error. Clicking at the top of the webpage, under the Pathfinder tab, "Beginner Box" led me to a 500 error.

I've been getting the 500 error on this PC for the Paizo homepage for several weeks now, with no response on the Website Feedback thread where numerous people have complained about it. Looks like it's also blocking me (and some unknown number of other people) from accessing product pages to order things. That's not good for the company. I sure hope someone comes up with a solution and shares it soon.

EDIT: Although oddly, as I showed the issue to a family member, I still get the 500 error on the Homepage but if I select the Pathfinder-Beginner Box link at top of page from that 500 error, it goes to the Beginner Box page successfully. (shrug)

Not from their IT, but here are 2 quick things I do when the website is giving me issues:

1- Test it in incognito
2- Test in another browser
3- if either of those work clear browser history/cookies and pray to Nethys

Grand Lodge

So to confirm, with this not being part of a subscription there is current method to get the PDF free with the printed product. Correct?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

The PDF isn’t currently being offered for free - no matter what subscriptions you have.

Recent confirmation from Paizo CS from Monday 19th October


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Find myself hoping I am in the front of the shipping line on this subscription cycle just to get my hands on this.


Is this a Paizo exclusive?

Humbly,
Yawar


2 people marked this as a favorite.
YawarFiesta wrote:

Is this a Paizo exclusive?

Humbly,
Yawar

No. I preordered on Amazon for free shipping.


Joana wrote:
No. I preordered on Amazon for free shipping.

Thank you, for some reason is not showing in my searches. Maybe its not shipping to Peru, IDK.

Yawar


Firebull5 wrote:


- that the beginner box will again go up to about level 5.

"As your hero grows you can level them up through 3rd level!"

- from the Beginner Box page


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Delivered and playing around with it. Love the quality :D


Yoshua wrote:
Delivered and playing around with it. Love the quality :D

Unfortunately, I will have to wait until my local store gets this in to delve into it. Might I ask, does it provide all the ancestry traits and class options for ancestries and classes offered? Are all backgrounds listed from the corebook? Just curious how paired down the options are in the beginner box.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Tis a thing of beauty!


Preordered, but it's in my side cart, so have to wait till next month. :*(


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
wally.west wrote:
Yoshua wrote:
Delivered and playing around with it. Love the quality :D
Unfortunately, I will have to wait until my local store gets this in to delve into it. Might I ask, does it provide all the ancestry traits and class options for ancestries and classes offered? Are all backgrounds listed from the corebook? Just curious how paired down the options are in the beginner box.

I hadn't compared until you asked, so I took a look.

Dwarf Ancestry in the Beginners box gives you 3 options and it looks like the Core gives you 5. So it gives you some choices but definitely holds enough back so that if someone started with a Beginners box then got a Core Book they would get the value for the new options.

Only 7 or so backgrounds are listed. Enough for each game style to have an option/choice to go with I think.

It is pretty 'paired down' but I think of it more as Streamlined. So if people sat down to the table to make 4 characters and play it would go quick and not get bogged down by choices. The quest is really a 'get to it and have fun' giving the DM and players different options to resolve different types of encounters.

Design Manager

9 people marked this as a favorite.

Like Yoshua said, it cuts down on the number of options (and sometimes the number of choices, sometimes bundling together a few choices into one coherent bundle that work well together where the CRB would have you choose each component separately) so that you wind up with a fully legal character that you could play in a game with people building off the CRB without any friction, but you were able to build it more quickly and easily.


Yoshua wrote:
wally.west wrote:
Yoshua wrote:
Delivered and playing around with it. Love the quality :D
Unfortunately, I will have to wait until my local store gets this in to delve into it. Might I ask, does it provide all the ancestry traits and class options for ancestries and classes offered? Are all backgrounds listed from the corebook? Just curious how paired down the options are in the beginner box.

I hadn't compared until you asked, so I took a look.

Dwarf Ancestry in the Beginners box gives you 3 options and it looks like the Core gives you 5. So it gives you some choices but definitely holds enough back so that if someone started with a Beginners box then got a Core Book they would get the value for the new options.

Only 7 or so backgrounds are listed. Enough for each game style to have an option/choice to go with I think.

It is pretty 'paired down' but I think of it more as Streamlined. So if people sat down to the table to make 4 characters and play it would go quick and not get bogged down by choices. The quest is really a 'get to it and have fun' giving the DM and players different options to resolve different types of encounters.

Thank you for taking the time to look and reply. I am very excited to get this. Hopefully just another week or so and my local store will have it.


Mark Seifter wrote:
Like Yoshua said, it cuts down on the number of options (and sometimes the number of choices, sometimes bundling together a few choices into one coherent bundle that work well together where the CRB would have you choose each component separately) so that you wind up with a fully legal character that you could play in a game with people building off the CRB without any friction, but you were able to build it more quickly and easily.

Good to know. I was concerned that it might stray too much from the rules like the Starfinder Beginner Box. Don't get me wrong, the Starfinder Beginner Box was a great product. It just changed the rules too much from the Core Rulebook that to me they felt like different games. A beginner box character from it didn't translate to the core rulebook easily for leveling up with the omission of stamina and only one armor class, etc.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
CrystalSeas wrote:
But if you want everyone to have a different color for each die, sure, you could do that. Or you could buy a pound of dice and sort them any way you like.

That's what I do as it's easy to grab a bunch from a pile quickly when needed. The ones I use are easy to read as well, as all too often I see someone roll a d20 and not be able to read it without picking it up due to the fancy colors and such decorating it. I use two sets of those linked above and have enough dice for any roll required.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber

Can we get a Beginner Box forum, please.

I'd like to discuss some things specific to the Beginner Box, but I don't think the PF2 Rules forum is the right place (Hello, "Stanch Bleeding" skill check!)

The PF2 Rules forum is intimidating, and threads there often get derailed by super-users dragging discussions off into dense weeds. It's not a very friendly place for beginners afraid to ask dumb questions.

Edit:
Play Games! It's Educational!

Stanch versus staunch
Some dictionaries accept stanch and staunch as variant spellings of each other. But if you want to avoid confusion, use stanch as the verb meaning to stop the flow of, check, allay; and use staunch as the adjective meaning firm and steadfast or having a strong constitution. This is how the words are usually treated in edited books and news sources.


Anyone checked out the adventure? I'm thinking of gettig it for that...wondering if anyone could give me a synopsis (in spoilers)?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber
The Painted Oryx wrote:
Anyone checked out the adventure? I'm thinking of gettig it for that...wondering if anyone could give me a synopsis (in spoilers)?

It's primarily a tool for teaching brand new GMs how to run a game.

First encounter:

The First Combat
The heroes are now in combat with four [opponents]. Place the pawns for the [opponents] on the map as shown on the map above, near the hole in the east wall. In combat, each player takes turns and follows specific rules about what they can and can't do. Se the next page for step-by-step instructions on how to handle combat.

The [opponents'] statistics are below. Only the statistics relevant to this combat are included, but you can find the rest on on page 75 if you need them.

Roll a d20 and add the opponent's Perception to find their initiative. The opponents all take their turns at the same time, but each one acts independently. On its turn, each opponent moves toward a different hero and attacks. If a hero falls unconscious, the opponent moves to the next nearest and attacks.

Attacks
When a creature uses the Strike action to make an attack, first pick a target. A creature must be in a space next to its target (including diagonally) to use a melee Strike, such as the opponent's [attack] Strike. Roll a d20 and add the statistic for that attack. For the opponents Strike, you'll add 7 to the number that comes up on the die. Then compare the total against the Armor Class (AC) of the hero being attacked. If the opponent's total is equal to or higher than the hero's AC, the opponent hits!
<snip>
If you roll a 20 on the die, or the total is at least 10 more than the hero's Armor Class, it's a critical hit! These deal twice as much damage: roll 1d6 and add 2, then double the number to determine damage.

Opponent Stat Block

The above is verbatim. Summary of rest of adventure

Exploration interlude: teaches how to make skill checks, aid skill checks, handle vision and light

2nd Encounter
Teaches how to run saving throws
Teaches how to make ranged strikes
Teaches how to search after combat

Next Encounter deals with a different kind of opponent.
How to search for and deal with traps
How to run flanking.
How to solve puzzles

More traps, more fights,

Next Encounter teaches about smoke and concealed opponents
How to handle Persistent Damage

More opponents, more traps, more loot
More opponents, more traps, Boss fight, loot.

If you want to learn how to GM, it's a good step-by-step tutorial with verbose explanations about mechanics.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
The Painted Oryx wrote:
Anyone checked out the adventure? I'm thinking of gettig it for that...wondering if anyone could give me a synopsis (in spoilers)?

High level is something is missing and the adventurers are recruited to find out why.

It is your basic dungeon crawl but each of the encounters are meant to teach the GM how to handle different types of encounters and the players the tools and verbage needed to make their way through the encounters.

Think combat, puzzles, and choices. If you played the original Beginner Box for 1E it's alot like that but better at teaching the GM'sand Players to navigate the game, and a wider variety of encounter types.


Got the box. Lots of cool stuff in it!

I do have one concern: maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a way to carry over your character from the Beginner Box to regular 2e without, at minimum, starting over with ability scores (as the box only uses the modifier scores).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
VikingOfAnarchy wrote:

Got the box. Lots of cool stuff in it!

I do have one concern: maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a way to carry over your character from the Beginner Box to regular 2e without, at minimum, starting over with ability scores (as the box only uses the modifier scores).

When you create a character with the Core Rule book your scores only go up by 2 at a time. So if you have +1 that equals a 12 +2 is 14 +3 is 16 and +4 is 18

This is how you know what numbers to put in on the character sheet if you convert them to full characters. You are right though, I did NOT see a conversion check list/table either.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps Subscriber

Rules Conflicts #1

The Hero's Handbook says one thing; the Game Master's Guide says another.
Assuming that the Beginner Box intention is to follow the CRB rules, rather than create special rules for beginners, I'm going to assume that the Hero's Handbook is correct.

Game Master's Guide (pg 4) wrote:

In the first Encounter

The First Combat: Attacks

If you roll a 20 on the die, or the total is at least 10 more than the here's Armor Class, it's a critical hit! These deal twice as much damage: roll 1d6 and add 1, then double th number to determine the damage.

Hero's Handbook (pg 61) wrote:

Step 3: Determining Success> Rolling a 20 or a 1

Rolling the highest or lowest number on a d20 has some special rules.
If your roll a 20 on the d20, use a result one step better than what you'd normally get based on your roll. This changes a critical failure to a failure, a failure to a success, and a success to a critical success. Usually this means you critically succeed!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Not sure if those are conflicting but I do see how they are confusing.

I don't have my books in front of me, but from what I see here:

The First Encounter is a walk through of a specific combat. If you roll a 20 during this then it would be considered a crit. I can see how that could be confusing later depending on future combat, but I don't have the book in front of me to go over it.

The hero's handbook is also correct, and it isn't just talking about combat?

Will circle back on this if I have time tonight to take a look at the books.

51 to 100 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Beginner Box All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.