Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide

Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide

Add Hardcover $49.99

PDF available : $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Whether you are a new Game Master or experienced storyteller, you can always find new ways to hone your craft. This 256-page Pathfinder Second Edition rulebook contains a wealth of new information, tools, and rules systems to add to your game. Inside you will find handy advice for building your own adventures, designing towns, and creating vibrant characters alongside rules systems for dramatic chases, thrilling tournaments, and deadly duels. This book also includes more 40 pages of sample nonplayer characters, from the simple town guard to the vile cultist, presented to make your job as GM that much easier!

The Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide includes:

  • Rules, advice, and guidelines to build adventures, campaigns, and the denizens and treasures that lurk within, from settlements to nations to infinite planes!
  • Creative variant rules to customize the rules to make the game your own, including variant bonus, feat, and magic item progressions, characters gaining the power of multiple classes at once, and more!
  • All sorts of new and variant magic items including intelligent items, cursed items, artifacts, quirks you can add to items, and a brand new type of item called a relic that scales with your character!
  • A catalog of subsystems to handle unique situations, from thrilling chases to researching mysteries to vehicle combat to elaborate duels to sandbox-style "hexploration" and more! Plus, a universal victory point system to help you design your own subsystems!
  • More than 60 new NPCs to use in your game, designed for maximum usefulness to all Pathfinder campaigns!

ISBN: 978-1-64078-198-6

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Will be available for purchase approximately 26 Feb 2020

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO2103


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

151 to 189 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

I got my notice of Pre Authorization last evening.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Same!


On CS board Paizo said they hope to begin shipping tomorrow.


Hi all, new Paizo player coming from 5e. I was told that this is the book that will contain variant rules for bounding accuracy a la D&D 5th edition, is that true?

Paizo Employee Design Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Habermanjc wrote:
Hi all, new Paizo player coming from 5e. I was told that this is the book that will contain variant rules for bounding accuracy a la D&D 5th edition, is that true?

It is indeed true that the GMG contains rules and guidelines for not adding your level to checks and DCs, and that we've mentioned that before. This could indeed give you more of that feel of lower level threats remaining deadlier for longer, or higher level threats being much easier to defeat.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition, Rulebook Subscriber
Habermanjc wrote:
Hi all, new Paizo player coming from 5e. I was told that this is the book that will contain variant rules for bounding accuracy a la D&D 5th edition, is that true?

Just a side note, so far switching to PF2's system instead of 5e's bounded accuracy has been absolutely terrific. Flattening the power curve, unsurprisingly, feels much flatter.

Paizo Employee Design Manager

14 people marked this as a favorite.
Sporkedup wrote:
Habermanjc wrote:
Hi all, new Paizo player coming from 5e. I was told that this is the book that will contain variant rules for bounding accuracy a la D&D 5th edition, is that true?
Just a side note, so far switching to PF2's system instead of 5e's bounded accuracy has been absolutely terrific. Flattening the power curve, unsurprisingly, feels much flatter.

My personal preference for high fantasy stories is also to include a level component to make the highest level PCs and foes truly capable of matching near-armies of lower level opponents, but sometimes you want to tell a grittier story where at the end of the day, eight reasonably capable bandits are a threat to a skilled swordmaster because eight against one is terrible odds, and the GMG has your back if you want to tell that story.


Kelseus wrote:
On CS board Paizo said they hope to begin shipping tomorrow.

Hooray

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
Are gestalt characters that popular?

An additional reason I see is that current PF2 multiclassing cannot get you a 50/50 hybrid character.

I think gestalt rules done well could do this perfectly, ie without unbalancing a party of mixed Gestalt / non Gestalt characters.


Hopefully subscriber copies will be coming in soon so we can get some sweet tidbits on what's in this book. Other than what has already been announced of course.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Valantrix1 wrote:
Hopefully subscriber copies will be coming in soon so we can get some sweet tidbits on what's in this book. Other than what has already been announced of course.

Hopefully, mine is still pending for the moment.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Ooo, dual-classing!


Re: "rules and guidelines for not adding your level to checks and DCs" it remains to be seen how involved these are.

I mean, if they amount to much more than the obvious: "subtract your level from checks and DCs"...

...that's too slow and complex, at least compared to 5E, for me to really support the notion "with the release of the GMG Pathfinder 2 does supports a bounded accuracy variant."

I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope those "rules and guidelines" basically tell us to subtract a character's, monster's, hazard's, affliction's, etc level from all checks and DCs. And that that is all there's to it. (Having a follow-up on the potential impact to adventure assumptions of doing this is fine, though)

Basically, if you can do "proficiency without level" without waiting for the GMG at all - fine. However, if you really *need* the GMG to properly not add level to checks and DCs, the idea feels much more dodgey: I don't think many people will bother with something intricate or hard to remember.

It needs to be something you can apply on the fly, unless Paizo commits to a variant Bestiary with recalculated stat blocks where level is taken out of the equation (unlikely).

And just about the most complicated such operation I can see working is:

1. Subtract level from any check or DC
2. Done. :-)

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

For the most part, that appears to be the case. Proficiency bonus just becomes a +2 per rank, then subtract the level of the subject from the stats you normally add proficiency to. There are some GM notes on adjusting encounter XP and treasure as well.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
For the most part, that appears to be the case. Proficiency bonus just becomes a +2 per rank, then subtract the level of the subject from the stats you normally add proficiency to. There are some GM notes on adjusting encounter XP and treasure as well.

Great, thanks! (Hope that's confirming the final content)


TOZ- I'm guessing you got your PDF?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I think it’s my VO copy, but I did get my preauthorization email earlier this week, so we’re in the window where I don’t feel out of place sharing some things.


Has anyone gotten their pdf yet?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Yes


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There is a Reddit thread from someone with their PDF copy


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Strangely the OP was deleted by Reddit.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, PF Special Edition, Rulebook Subscriber
Zaister wrote:
Strangely the OP was deleted by Reddit.

They included a picture of the table of contents, which is a violation of the sub's rules. That's my guess.

Either way, this puppy looks jam packed with goodies. I'm stoked.


I hope I get my email soon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

That person was me, even though strictly speaking Tables of Contents are not protected by Copyright, the thread's back up though sans pic- I do one for each Core and Lost Omens Product, trying to do my part to hype the community up for each product.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
That person was me, even though strictly speaking Tables of Contents are not protected by Copyright, the thread's back up though sans pic- I do one for each Core and Lost Omens Product, trying to do my part to hype the community up for each product.

Where did you get this information? I'm pretty sure a image (screenshot) extracted from any of the pages of a copyrighted pdf/book is under copyright...


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Jib916 wrote:
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
That person was me, even though strictly speaking Tables of Contents are not protected by Copyright, the thread's back up though sans pic- I do one for each Core and Lost Omens Product, trying to do my part to hype the community up for each product.
Where did you get this information? I'm pretty sure a image (screenshot) extracted from any of the pages of a copyrighted pdf/book is under copyright...

I'm a librarian so its my buisiness to understand how copyright laws intersect with books, but here's a proper source.

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You might be a librarian, but I'm a lawyer and I can tell you that trade dress and page design are sue-worthy level of protected as far as they constitute a significant original work, which Paizo's do.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
You might be a librarian, but I'm a lawyer and I can tell you that trade dress and page design are sue-worthy level of copyright protected as far as they constitute a significant original work, which Paizo's do.

Hmm, you may be right, nevertheless the offending material was removed.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I think one of the reasons for a lower page account in a lot of the newer books is that, due to the new mechanical formatting used in Pathfinder 2nd Edition, they can fit more content in a smaller space.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I am still waiting for my pdf. I got the pending notice 5 days ago.

I am wanting to see what the aspect on character power when you allow a free archetype given out.

My plan for the campaign is to have everyone multi class as a cleric.

My campaign is on hold til I get that jnfo.

I am hoping it actually ships out Monday and will get my pdf then

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Paul Jr wrote:

I am still waiting for my pdf. I got the pending notice 5 days ago.

I am wanting to see what the aspect on character power when you allow a free archetype given out.

My plan for the campaign is to have everyone multi class as a cleric.

My campaign is on hold til I get that jnfo.

I am hoping it actually ships out Monday and will get my pdf then

Extra class feat at every even level that can only be used for the archetype.

Possibly removing the restriction about getting several feats before taking a new archetype.

The only restriction they mention is limiting the number of feats that scale according to the number of archetype feats to half the PC's level.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
You might be a librarian, but I'm a lawyer and I can tell you that trade dress and page design are sue-worthy level of copyright protected as far as they constitute a significant original work, which Paizo's do.
Hmm, you may be right, nevertheless the offending material was removed.

Yeah, once the art & layout are added it would (in the opinion of this admittedly-not-a-lawyer) no longer fall under "Mere listings of ingredients or contents".


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Graeme Lewis wrote:
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
You might be a librarian, but I'm a lawyer and I can tell you that trade dress and page design are sue-worthy level of copyright protected as far as they constitute a significant original work, which Paizo's do.
Hmm, you may be right, nevertheless the offending material was removed.
Yeah, once the art & layout are added it would (in the opinion of this admittedly-not-a-lawyer) no longer fall under "Mere listings of ingredients or contents".

The art obviously, but it was just a cropped shot of just the text on the table of contents that excluded all artwork, so it would just be a small portion of the trade dress (namely the font, and the placement of page number, section titles, etc) we're discussing. I'm actually not convinced it would be copyrightable, but this doesn't seem like the place to talk about it, and I removed it to keep the powers that be happy.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
Paul Jr wrote:

I am still waiting for my pdf. I got the pending notice 5 days ago.

I am wanting to see what the aspect on character power when you allow a free archetype given out.

My plan for the campaign is to have everyone multi class as a cleric.

My campaign is on hold til I get that jnfo.

I am hoping it actually ships out Monday and will get my pdf then

Extra class feat at every even level that can only be used for the archetype.

Possibly removing the restriction about getting several feats before taking a new archetype.

The only restriction they mention is limiting the number of feats that scale according to the number of archetype feats to half the PC's level.

Sweet. Thanks

Anything about what power level the character would. For example
The character would be equivalent to a character of level 1.5 or 2nd level when considering building encounters.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

"a bit more versatile and
powerful than normal, but usually not so much that they
unbalance your game" ;-)

I would guess 1.2 maybe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
The art obviously, but it was just a cropped shot of just the text on the table of contents that excluded all artwork, so it would just be a small portion of the trade dress (namely the font, and the placement of page number, section titles, etc) we're discussing. I'm actually not convinced it would be copyrightable, but this doesn't seem like the place to talk about it, and I removed it to keep the powers that be happy.

The completed work is copyrighted as a whole. Your own linked document does not say “the table of contents is exempted” it says that a listing of contents is exempted; meaning if you typed out a list of the the contents it would be exempt from the copyright of the original work - but a photograph of the actual TOC isn’t exempted.

Dark Archive

Please take your copytright discussions to another thread.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
dirtypool wrote:
The-Magic-Sword wrote:
The art obviously, but it was just a cropped shot of just the text on the table of contents that excluded all artwork, so it would just be a small portion of the trade dress (namely the font, and the placement of page number, section titles, etc) we're discussing. I'm actually not convinced it would be copyrightable, but this doesn't seem like the place to talk about it, and I removed it to keep the powers that be happy.
The completed work is copyrighted as a whole. Your own linked document does not say “the table of contents is exempted” it says that a listing of contents is exempted; meaning if you typed out a list of the the contents it would be exempt from the copyright of the original work - but a photograph of the actual TOC isn’t exempted.

You guys are right, and I'm wrong, it's a good thing that it would probably fall under Fair Use since the AMA is functionally reviewing the product, and also a good thing that I've already removed the picture.

_______________________________________________________________________

Moving on (seriously, I'm feeling uncomfortable having my face repeatedly rubbed in this and would prefer for it to end with my admission that I was wrong about it not being protected by copyright) the book is out for subscribers, what is everyone's favorite aspect of it?

I'm personally really enjoying The Free Archetype system, I'll probably eventually implement it on a permanent basis in my games, once we have all the archetypes coming in the APG.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

*offers hugs*

I really like the Airship :3

Oh and Meri and Kyra smiting undead with the power of love!

151 to 189 of 189 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Gamemastery Guide All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.