Pathfinder Bestiary

Our Price: $49.99

Preorder expected July 2019

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Nearly 400 of fantasy's fiercest foes burst from the pages of this enormous 360-page compendium of the most popular and commonly encountered creatures in the world of Pathfinder! From familiar foes like orcs, dragons, and vampires to new enemies like the living-nightmare nilith and the three-headed mukrodi, to suitable servants for summoners of every alignment, this must-have companion to the Pathfinder Bestiary is crawling with creatures perfect for your Pathfinder adventures!

The Pathfinder Bestiary includes:

  • More than 400 monsters!
  • Gorgeous full-color illustrations on nearly every page!
  • Detailed monster lists sorted by level, type, and rarity to help you find the right monster for any situation!
  • Universal monster rules to simplify special attacks, defenses, and qualities like grab, swallow whole, and regeneration.
  • Guidelines for providing appropriate monstrous treasures for any occasion.
  • Detailed lore sidebars offering additional information about Pathfinder's most popular monstrous friends and foes!
  • *** Please disregard the availability information below. This item will be available August 1, 2019.***

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Preorder, expected approximately 8 Jul 2019

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO2102


See Also:



Sign in to create or edit a product review.

51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Does anyone know if the interior art in the 2ed bestiary is all new or if some of the interior art is recycled from 1e bestiaries? Thanks.

At this point, between adventure paths, campaign settings, player's companions and core rulebooks, I must have about 300 1e PF books. Don't feel compelled to move to a simplification of rules. But if the books have new art, I am probably in for more than just the adventure paths.

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Poison Pie wrote:

Does anyone know if the interior art in the 2ed bestiary is all new or if some of the interior art is recycled from 1e bestiaries? Thanks.

At this point, between adventure paths, campaign settings, player's companions and core rulebooks, I must have about 300 1e PF books. Don't feel compelled to move to a simplification of rules. But if the books have new art, I am probably in for more than just the adventure paths.

The Bestiary contains all new art.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

New Kobolds are interesting. Certainly adorable and cute, no arguing that. They do look a bit more... brutish, though? And I'm worried that will lead them to being the maniacs that Goblins once occupied. It makes sense, given that Goblins are no longer the prime enemy combatant at low CRs, but I'm a big fan of the trap-setting, sorcery-led, dragon worshipping 'bolds in PF1e and I'm just hoping that sticks around.

Though I will say the new art would certainly fit my 6 Int Kobold Paladin.


Xethik wrote:

New Kobolds are interesting. Certainly adorable and cute, no arguing that. They do look a bit more... brutish, though? And I'm worried that will lead them to being the maniacs that Goblins once occupied. It makes sense, given that Goblins are no longer the prime enemy combatant at low CRs, but I'm a big fan of the trap-setting, sorcery-led, dragon worshipping 'bolds in PF1e and I'm just hoping that sticks around.

Though I will say the new art would certainly fit my 6 Int Kobold Paladin.

I doubt they're changing the culture and background. They've established too much of it for so long to retcon it now. Art changes are easier to justify. Art doesn't always match up with the descriptions anyway, and is often inconsistent. And besides, we do still have goblins for low-level psychos, while some are becoming civilized, there are still plenty of evil gobos out there to fight. And kobolds have a different low-level niche as you pointed out with their traps and planning and generally being subterranean.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

12 people marked this as a favorite.

The kobold look is new, as folks have noticed, but they're the same kobolds society-wise in the setting. Some worship dragons and think of themselves as dragons. Some are deep into devils. Some just wanna build traps. Some break free and find their own fates.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
The kobold look is new, as folks have noticed, but they're the same kobolds society-wise in the setting. Some worship dragons and think of themselves as dragons. Some are deep into devils. Some just wanna build traps. Some break free and find their own fates.

Some just don't want to be typecast and fit into somebody's little neat boxes of what a kobold ought to be.

*prepares his inevitable Kobold Champion of Ragathiel*


4 people marked this as a favorite.

One problem the old bestiary had was that monster with large statistics tend to suffer in the "description" department. A lot of dragons are a bunch of numbers, a nice pic and a sentence of description. I hope that doesn't happen too often in PF2. Looking at an old d&d 2e bestiary, monster had a lot of descriptive text, and that was quite cool.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think the Paizonians working on monsters are painfully aware of this. I think one of their demands for PF2 would have been, please, please let me get more space to describe how great and GM-useful this monster will be.

And yes, they know very well that Dragons are the greatest culprits

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The statblocks in PF2, especially at higher levels, are much smaller than PF1 statblocks, so there's hopefully more space for art and lore.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
The statblocks in PF2, especially at higher levels, are much smaller than PF1 statblocks, so there's hopefully more space for art and lore.

Yessssssssss, this is something I actually like about the new rules and formatting.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
The kobold look is new, as folks have noticed, but they're the same kobolds society-wise in the setting. Some worship dragons and think of themselves as dragons. Some are deep into devils. Some just wanna build traps. Some break free and find their own fates.

Wooh! Thanks for making my day.

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Reading this conversation made me curious, so I just checked something. The shortest bit of flavor text for a dragon in the Bestiary is 20 lines of text.


I don't want to sound conflictive, because that's totally not my intention, but I don't think you are correct.

Looking at the green dragon I find

"Green dragons dwell in the ancient forests of the world, prowling under towering canopies in search of prey. Of all the chromatic dragons, green dragons are perhaps the easiest to deal with diplomatically"

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2015 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nicos wrote:

I don't want to sound conflictive, because that's totally not my intention, but I don't think you are correct.

Looking at the green dragon I find

"Green dragons dwell in the ancient forests of the world, prowling under towering canopies in search of prey. Of all the chromatic dragons, green dragons are perhaps the easiest to deal with diplomatically"

I think he's talking about the final Bestiary. The Playtest Bestiary was just a quick and dirty way to get stat blocks into our grubby little hands.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I know he's talking about the 2nd edition Bestiary that only we in-house at Paizo have seen.

Lore was not a primary goal of the playtest.


Charlie Brooks wrote:

I think he's talking about the final Bestiary. The Playtest Bestiary was just a quick and dirty way to get stat blocks into our grubby little hands.

Oh, well, 20 lines of flavor text sounds quite great.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Curious if theres catfolk and if they have settled on a look for them. (Sine they where one of the ones that were all over the place lookiwise in 1e)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:
Curious if theres catfolk and if they have settled on a look for them. (Sine they where one of the ones that were all over the place lookiwise in 1e)

I hope they’re still going with Carolina Eade’s style.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I hope they continue to go with several different styles so that we won't have to endure a furrrious battle of people who are a wee lil' bit too much invested emotionally in how their cat-people are supposed to look like.


Adam Daigle wrote:
Reading this conversation made me curious, so I just checked something. The shortest bit of flavor text for a dragon in the Bestiary is 20 lines of text.

Precious 20 lines of precious flavor... Great job! I knew things were in the right hands. I'm expecting nothing but greatness from this book.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Didn't they already settle on "catfolk look anything from catgirls to thundercats to khajit" thing in inner sea races? :P

Grand Lodge

Any word on if the PDF copies will be out on August 1st, and will the price point be similar to Starfinder? ($10 for the core books in PDF form).

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

PDFs are expected to drop on the day of release.

We have not yet announced PDF pricing, but will do so long before release.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Thanks, Erik. I know you're juggling lots of balls at the moment, but the subscription details (i.e. do the PDFs still come as a free perk, how does PF Advantage work, etcetera) would be good to hear too. Because I'm sure what your to-do list needs at the moment is more requests... :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
CorvusMask wrote:
Didn't they already settle on "catfolk look anything from catgirls to thundercats to khajit" thing in inner sea races? :P

That was us giving up and making a decision to not make a decision. ;-)

An edition change is a chance to start fresh with things like this, and catfolk will have a much more standardized look that won't be as all over the place. We'll reveal that look in time, of course.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, I was certainly in the group that preferred khajit over "catgirls with more fur" design :p

51 to 76 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Bestiary All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.