Pathfinder Adventure Path #140: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer (Tyrant's Grasp 2 of 6)

Pathfinder Adventure Path #140: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer (Tyrant's Grasp 2 of 6)

Add Print Edition $24.99

Add PDF $17.99

Facebook Twitter Email

You Can't Go Home Again

Returning to the land of the living, the heroes explore the ruins of the town of Roslar's Coffer, the center of the devastating blast that hurled them to the afterlife. Populated with newly risen undead, twisted creatures, and wicked cultists of the Whispering Way, Roslar's Coffer offers danger around every corner. Can the heroes escape the poisonous fog that surrounds the town and warn the rest of the world of this rising threat to all life?

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path continues the Tyrant's Grasp Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer," a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 5th-level characters, by Jason Keeley.
  • An introduction to several itinerant merchant groups active within the Lake Encarthan region and beyond, by Eleanor Ferron.
  • A close look at the faith of Arazni, the Red Queen, fallen saint and unwilling ruler of an undead land, by Lyz Liddell.
  • A presentation of the machinations and representative members of the nefarious death-obsessed Whispering Way, by Crystal Malarsky.
  • A bestiary of monsters both exalted and corrupt, including two couatls that travel the world to aid others, a humanoid cursed with the touch of undeath, a monstrous undead spawned from tragic loss of life, and an invasive carnivorous plant, by Sarah E. Hood, Luis Loza, Jen McTeague, and Mikhail Rekun.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-119-1

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO90140


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

51 to 77 of 77 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Cori Marie wrote:
Quandary wrote:

I don't know about the green guy, I mean, why couldn't he just be a Half-Orc?

I see the other cover with green skinned gnome (Lini?), but is it canon than Gnomes can't have green skin?

I'm betting on the undead-moose being the new crypto-Undead PC race. ;-)

He is indeed a half-orc, and is MUCH prettier inside

I am hoping that in at least one campaign out there, a PC romances this gruff half-orc ranger and brings out his softer side.

Since some people are getting their PDFs, I am curious to their reactions to the villain of the adventure. Like on a scale from 0 to lots, how much do you want to punch his face?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Xenocrat wrote:
magnuskn wrote:

BTW, "threat". I'm sure she also would spawn a mythic thread. I really should check my spelling more before and after clicking "post.

Also, I haven't read Mythic Realms.

Both stat blocks are also on Archives of Nethys under the mythic monsters section.

Interesting. I'll look it up. Thanks!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Don't feed the Yaoguai!

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Jason Keeley wrote:
Cori Marie wrote:
Quandary wrote:

I don't know about the green guy, I mean, why couldn't he just be a Half-Orc?

I see the other cover with green skinned gnome (Lini?), but is it canon than Gnomes can't have green skin?

I'm betting on the undead-moose being the new crypto-Undead PC race. ;-)

He is indeed a half-orc, and is MUCH prettier inside

I am hoping that in at least one campaign out there, a PC romances this gruff half-orc ranger and brings out his softer side.

Since some people are getting their PDFs, I am curious to their reactions to the villain of the adventure. Like on a scale from 0 to lots, how much do you want to punch his face?

None. His face is too cute.

Stabs on the other hand...

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I just loved reading the whole "tea party" scene at the end. WW agent just having a good ol' fashioned sit-down with some formerly living is just an evocative scene that plays out neatly. Props to you Jason for such an interesting encounter.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

About the tea party scene

Spoiler:
I must confess to being a bit confused I was under the impresion that what the Obals did was I believe the term was stich there souls to there bodies meaning they were transported body, soul and all to the boneyard but that dosent appear to be the case?

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Mikhail Rekun wrote:

Greetings to all and sundry! This is Mikhail Rekun, and I wrote one of the monsters at the end of this AP -- the Gurgist, everyone's favorite terrifying masked horror who isn't really that bad.

As ever, a massive thank you to Ron Lundeen for sending this my way, along with big bunches of ideas to ponder. And likewise, what follows are some random comments that are not in any way official.

Stylistically, the Gurgist grew out of thinking about hungers, while trying to avoid the usual zombie tropes (nothing wrong with those, but we were aiming at more than just 'cannibal humans'). So, I was thinking about hunger as a central theme, and addiction, and I was reading Discworld, and a little light bulb went up above my head. For those sorry souls among you who have not read Sir Terry's Discworld series, vampires there often become teetotalers, displacing their addiction to blood for something else.

Now, in Sir Terry's books, this is mostly played for laughs. So I started thinking of how to make it creepy (leading to the obsession skills). And then one of my friends showed me something that involved masks, and a second light bulb went on. Creepy masks! Masks make everything creepy! (My players are now rolling their eyes a bit). Maybe not the most original idea in the history of gaming (creepy masked dead things are a thing), but hey, it works.

Fun fact: As often neutral critters, they can also be creepy-cool allies.

So, this is where the Gurgist came from. I'm rather proud of them, and I'm really proud of the artwork that came with them. Seriously, it's amazing.

Mechanically, Gurgists are slow-moving rogues. They have the zombie vibe, and then they rush up to you and sneak attack you (ideally, they're fighting in groups and set up flanks). Whereupon they are zombies dual-wielding daggers and hitting you for way too much damage.

Hope folks enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them, and with luck a few PCs will get to go 'urk' at being stabbed repeatedly.

The Mortics, especially the Gurgist, are so far shaping up to be my favourite parts of the AP so far.

The other part is Arazni.

Scarab Sages

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kevin Mack wrote:

About the tea party scene

** spoiler omitted **

Here's how I interpret it after reading 1 and 2:

Spoiler:
The explosion straight killed them. They goto the Boneyard. The Obols, however, caused their body to be recreated in the Boneyard with their souls. It didn't plane shift them wholesale to the afterlife, but pulled together a recreation of their body to complete the need for them to be one.

This is why the attendees are juju zombies, Necromancy couldn't find an available soul to attach to the flesh, so making them science zombies was the solution for these odd empty husks.

Paizo Employee Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
archmagi1 wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:

About the tea party scene

** spoiler omitted **

Here's how I interpret it after reading 1 and 2:

** spoiler omitted **

That's it, spot on.


Could someone describe the couatls?

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

We have the ocean snek and void noodle.

The Auwaz helps those who are lost, particularly sailors, but for those that are evil the couatl ensures they stay lost. It can bless or curse people to help with this.

The Mix (pronounced "Meesh") likes to teach and guide others and they have a sort of hivemind/akashic shared between all the Mix they can tap into to directly grant knowledge to a person even if they don't fully know what they're granting a person. They also like to share less relevent and risky ino-oh gods they're TvTropes embodied.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

In the preview from last month's AP (The Dead Roads), it promised "a secret that comes to light for the frst time in this article detailing the group’s rise throughout Golarion’s history and its ultimate, world-threatening goals!" Did I miss the secret in the article? I mean it was a really good article and had some cool stuff, but I couldn't seem to find that click-bait promise.


No reviews yet?

Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Very Serious and Good Secondary Villain Idea:
Obol Redenbacher, who attempts to sabotage the PCs' plot devices to make their souls explode.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why nobody mentioned Redclover tribe? They are awesome


Hey, guys! So you know, this is now available for purchase from Fantasy Grounds or on Steam. Sync your account first to get it a discount equivalent to the PDF Price ($17.99)

Pathfinder Adventure Path #140: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer (Tyrant's Grasp 2 of 6)
Publisher: Paizo Inc.
System: Pathfinder RPG and D&D 3.5/ OGL
Type: Adventure Path
Get it on Steam


So I must have missed it...but what ARE the supposed domains that Aranzi offers? Or used to perhaps...

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
So I must have missed it...but what ARE the supposed domains that Aranzi offers? Or used to perhaps...

Evil, Nobility and Protection


Who made it into the npc gallery and how detailed was the article on the whispering way leadership? Did it list class lvls or just say what each leader/official was?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Generic Villain wrote:
In the preview from last month's AP (The Dead Roads), it promised "a secret that comes to light for the frst time in this article detailing the group’s rise throughout Golarion’s history and its ultimate, world-threatening goals!" Did I miss the secret in the article? I mean it was a really good article and had some cool stuff, but I couldn't seem to find that click-bait promise.

My guess : the fact that the Way reaches so far and in so many different ways. Tar-Baphon might be its most infamous member, but the Way does not center exclusively on him and his plans.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Eternally Lost Boy wrote:
Who made it into the npc gallery and how detailed was the article on the whispering way leadership? Did it list class lvls or just say what each leader/official was?

The article on the Whispering Way gives many examples of adepts throughout Golarion and the diverse ways in which they further their cause, complete with implied story hooks. It also provides 3 stat blocks a la Villain Codex.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yup, the WW is spread about Golarion, notably Geb (per also the mentions in Carrion Crown). Tar-Baphon is just the golden boy of the bunch.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber

The Auwaz Couatl is listed as size Large, but doesn't have a Space/Reach line, which means it defaults to 5 ft. Is it supposed to have a 10 ft. space/reach?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DeBurke wrote:
The Auwaz Couatl is listed as size Large, but doesn't have a Space/Reach line, which means it defaults to 5 ft. Is it supposed to have a 10 ft. space/reach?

Both the auwaz couatl and the mix couatl should have a 10 ft. space and a 5 ft. reach, just like the couatl in the Bestiary.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
In the preview from last month's AP (The Dead Roads), it promised "a secret that comes to light for the frst time in this article detailing the group’s rise throughout Golarion’s history and its ultimate, world-threatening goals!" Did I miss the secret in the article? I mean it was a really good article and had some cool stuff, but I couldn't seem to find that click-bait promise.
My guess : the fact that the Way reaches so far and in so many different ways. Tar-Baphon might be its most infamous member, but the Way does not center exclusively on him and his plans.

Yeah, that was definitely a surprise to me. I think it even goes so far as to say that the Whispering Way *predates* the Tyrant.

Dark Archive

Liked the Whispering Way article, but the adventure is sadly mediocre, and contains just as much railroading as the first one. And, just like in Dead (Rail)roads, it feels like I would be reading a storyline for a bad CRPG; this adventure really doesn't make poor players think too hard, quest are more or less dropped right into their lap.

Spoilers!:

("Greetings, travelers! I am a glowing ball that is missing some pieces... if you can find them I can help you with infodumping!")

*Sigh*

Aside from a few interesting combats this adventure is a string of badly written encounters, force-fed down the PCs' throats. A shining example is the elderly couple wondering aloud about the plants, but IMO the absolutely worst part is the "teaching skill challenge", and I highly doubt this kind of modernish school system would even exist in a small "proto-medieval" rural town such as Roslar's Coffer.

The last part is weird, because it takes place inside a colossal temple (with a boring map, to boot) that not only dwarfs the Cathedral of Sancta Iomedae but also quite a few real world major churches. IIRC it is more or less the same size as the High Temple of Pharasma! :O

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Asgetrion wrote:

Liked the Whispering Way article, but the adventure is sadly mediocre, and contains just as much railroading as the first one. And, just like in Dead (Rail)roads, it feels like I would be reading a storyline for a bad CRPG; this adventure really doesn't make poor players think too hard, quest are more or less dropped right into their lap.

** spoiler omitted **

Sadly, i have to agree.

This book has some mild survival horror elements, but is essentially a railroad of one battle after the other with 3 or 4 very minor alibi social encounters.

The first part seems only like a sandbox, but it doesn't matter where you go first, as there are only battles everywhere.

Part 2 is where a little survival horror is found, as there are some very hard battles which have to be won to escape.

Part 3 is the worst & most boring part of the adventure: a giant 140 ft. (28 squares or 42 meters) broad and 195 ft. (39 squares or 58.5 meters) long building full of fights and traps.

Look to the next installment to see how a real sandbox intermingeled with social encounters is done.

51 to 77 of 77 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #140: Eulogy for Roslar's Coffer (Tyrant's Grasp 2 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.