Pathfinder Adventure Path #138: Rise of New Thassilon (Return of the Runelords 6 of 6)

Pathfinder Adventure Path #138: Rise of New Thassilon (Return of the Runelords 6 of 6)

Add Print Edition $24.99

Add PDF $17.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Sins of the Past

Varisia has been destroyed! Runelord Alaznist's alteration of the past has thrown the frontier nation into chaos, devastated cities, resurrected demon lords, and worse. The Runelord of Wrath is now primed to seize control of a ruined realm, so that she can remake it into a New Thassilon with herself as its furious queen. Only one desperate plan can set things right—a band of heroes must discover a method to travel back in time and repair the damage their enemy has wrought on history, but can they make the sacrifices necessary for victory? This adventure allows the heroes to reach the absolute height of power, but even the potent options gained at 20th level may not be enough for the party to survive the furious might of Runelord Alaznist in her seat of power!

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path concludes the Return of the Runelords Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Rise of New Thassilon," a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 17th-level characters, by Greg A. Vaughan.
  • A brief exploration of how the Return of the Runelords Adventure Path will change Golarion in the future, including the first-ever map of the empire of Thassilon as it stood before the devastation of Earthfall, by James Jacobs.
  • A bestiary of monsters, including undead salamander forgemasters, living landslides, the mysterious hallowed lynxes used by runelords as pets and guardians, a planar dragon from the tumultuous Maelstrom, and the immense Great Old One Mhar itself, by John Compton, Andrew D. Geels, Lyz Liddell, Luis Loza, and David Schwartz.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-106-1

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO90138


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

51 to 100 of 277 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

There it is! And this surely surpassed my predictions... MHAR IS HERE! And yet another planar dragon, the remaining(?) one! *o*

I'm also curious to read more about how Golarion is going to change after the events.

Dark Archive

YAY FOR MHAR STATS


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

YAS! Finally a map of Thassilon! Also, resurrected Demon Lords!? This looks insane. Also looove the Oliphaunt! Can't wait for this.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Two unbelievable powers foes, from the Oliphaunt to Mhars. Players are going to be like:

"We successfully survived the Oliphaunt! But... Can anyone tell me why is that mountain approaching us so fast?"

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Ach Hans run, it's the Oliphaunt! ;-)


I want to know if we can get the Oliphant and Mhar to throw down.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Either way we lose. At this point the idea I think is the apocalypse is happening, and only pulling a quantum inversal can fix this.
(I know that is probably the wrong word, still kicking a runelord who screwed time over something royal is going to have consequences).


Eris,

Well generally screwing with the timeline(s) is a BAD idea...and I think right now Alaznist doesn't care.

Dark Archive

It will be interesting to see how the landscape of Varisia will change after the heroes have won.

Will there be a thassilonian city surviving into the present?
Crystilan seems like a possibility.


If shorshen is going to rule a nation, it's surely going to be New Thassilon. I'm a bit confused to where is its place on the map however. I hope it can be formed not out of Thassilon, but out of a now united varisian nation under the last Runelord...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I wonder which end of Sorshen's twin-guisarme is male and which is female. Can't tell from the illustration. I do like that you can see her patented arm crystals beneath her stylish sleeves.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Hah. I suspect a lot of folks are gonna be surprised, shocked, and delighted by the role the runelords have in this Adventure Path.

They are the good guys! :D

Seriously, though, I would laugh a lot if the players get to team up with Sorshen. After Shattered Star that would raise some eyebrows.

Spoiler:
Well, apparently I have the power of prophecy on my side for once. ^^
Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.
UnArcaneElection wrote:
I wonder if this means that Alaznist will be sending Constructs back in time cloaked in Human flesh . . . .

Ha, just noticed this as I close the year out by buying up any APs that came out this year.

Flesh-draped iron golem - "I need your armor, your boots and your horse..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The flesh draped iron golem. "I'll be back."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
If shorshen is going to rule a nation, it's surely going to be New Thassilon. I'm a bit confused to where is its place on the map however. I hope it can be formed not out of Thassilon, but out of a now united varisian nation under the last Runelord...

Any options for a Runelord free Golorian? Say bye kicking Azlant and Sorshen under the feet of The Oliphant?

I've gotten kinda cynical on letting Runelord types having redemptions. Too much of DC/Marvel comics and 'We'll be just as bad as they are!" over the years.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
magnuskn wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Hah. I suspect a lot of folks are gonna be surprised, shocked, and delighted by the role the runelords have in this Adventure Path.

They are the good guys! :D

Seriously, though, I would laugh a lot if the players get to team up with Sorshen. After Shattered Star that would raise some eyebrows.

** spoiler omitted **

Actually, that made me realize some uncommon PC deity selection might turn out very interesting. Shame the Player's Guide doesn't have a trait encouraging worship of

Spoiler:
Aroden.

Actually for that matter, I wonder how PC Clerics of deities that didn't exist yet will work. Cayden, Iomedae, Kurgess, Milani (she's explicitly encouraged by the Player's Guide) possibly Nethys depending on how far back they go. Nocticula is still a true demon lord and THAT is one explicitly encouraged by the Player's Guide.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

7 people marked this as a favorite.
deuxhero wrote:

Actually for that matter, I wonder how PC Clerics of deities that didn't exist yet will work. Cayden, Iomedae, Kurgess, Milani (she's explicitly encouraged by the Player's Guide) possibly Nethys depending on how far back they go. Nocticula is still a true demon lord and THAT is one explicitly encouraged by the Player's Guide.

That still works, and is covered in the adventure. (Basically, deities and faith are stronger than time itself; just as the physical distance in the first 3 dimensions doesn't matter for your belief if you're a cleric, nor does your distance in the so-called "fourth dimension" of time.) Dead deities stay dead though. And I deliberately avoided much Aroden stuff intentionally to not distract folks from other plot threads. Aroden stuff in an adventure is like using hot peppers in a dish... it's a strong spice that, used in the right recipie, is delicious, but used in the wrong one is gross and distracting and destructive.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It would be mind-twisty if one of the gods became a god because one of their clerics traveled back in time to before they were a god, and the first time they prayed for spells their god rose up to meet them...

"It was as easy as just having some fool pray to you?"

"No, it was as 'easy' as hearing a 9th level cleric of *ME* in my head asking me for another casting of breath of life. Suddenly I was able to answer that request..."


3 people marked this as a favorite.

While out on town in the past, the helpful PCs help a drunk to the nearest inn to sleep it off and Cayden remains mortal!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Tales Subscriber

Has this issue been delayed for some reason, or is my sense of time off?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Can the PCs ride the Oliphant?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
BenS wrote:
Has this issue been delayed for some reason, or is my sense of time off?

In January, they shift from mid-month deliveries because of the holidays to their more usual late month deliveries. This module is scheduled for a late January delivery.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Modules, Tales Subscriber
David knott 242 wrote:
BenS wrote:
Has this issue been delayed for some reason, or is my sense of time off?

In January, they shift from mid-month deliveries because of the holidays to their more usual late month deliveries. This module is scheduled for a late January delivery.

I received #5 of 6 in late November I believe; nothing in December. Late January makes #6...2 months later than #5. Thus, delayed by my count.

I'm not complaining, really, I just wanted to make sure what was happening w/ my ever waning subscriptions.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Phillip Gastone wrote:
Can the PCs ride the Oliphant?

I suppose there's enough space atop it for them to actually build a house and live in the beast's back. ^-^'


3 people marked this as a favorite.
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Phillip Gastone wrote:
Can the PCs ride the Oliphant?
I suppose there's enough space atop it for them to actually build a house and live in the beast's back. ^-^'

If any event constitutes a Mythic feat, it is riding the Oliphant into battle.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
BenS wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
BenS wrote:
Has this issue been delayed for some reason, or is my sense of time off?

In January, they shift from mid-month deliveries because of the holidays to their more usual late month deliveries. This module is scheduled for a late January delivery.

I received #5 of 6 in late November I believe; nothing in December. Late January makes #6...2 months later than #5. Thus, delayed by my count.

I'm not complaining, really, I just wanted to make sure what was happening w/ my ever waning subscriptions.

I don't think anyone can predict where you will fall in the delivery window. I do recall having one of my monthly deliveries being delayed so much during the site outage that it got combined with the delivery for the following month, which was early.

But those problems do seem to be in the past for now, so your best bet is to check the January subscription shipment thread in the Customer Service forum to see when the shipping window is (January 14th to 25th, IIRC).


All hail Sorshen, Lady of Lust and Queen of New Thassilon! May death come swiftly to her enemies! ;) :D


I was not impressed by her in Runeplague. Spend far too much time babysitting her clone.

Take me here
Buy me that
I'm hungry
Sing me a song
Tell me a story

I was thinking that it could be reworked as an assassination mission by the Pathfinder council. Draw her attention while a ritual is done to link Sorshen and her clone and then strike down the clone, killing Sorshen

Runelords, not even once.

What really rankled me about it was that I remember it being like the Forgotten Realms modules dealing with the Time of Troubles, where the PCs follow behind the story characters and deal with trash mobs. Here the PCs are coming off as Sorshen's sidekicks like how Elminster duked it out with a god while the PCs fought some goons.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Babysitting? Huh, that is not the word I would have used. I mean, I have already made few jokes about "Sorshen Dating Simulator"

Either way, dunno how it really is trash mobs when you are clearly fighting final boss yourself. I mean, Sorshen is more of quest giver/"hey we need an information source" than main character.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Dating sims at least have the potential of a 'payoff' depending on which one you are playing.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well you get a kiss if you get all other rewards :p

Anyway, yeah, I don't really like idea of assassinating Sorshen that easily even if you want to avoid Runelords allying with PCs, I mean one of runelord rituals in the one of bonus articles was one she stopped using because she realized it had vulnerability that allowed hostile caster attack her directly. Aka, they wouldn't be that dumb to leave that big open weaknesses.


Considering this is Sorshen, Runelord of Lust I am thinking that one would need a stack of Cure Disease scrolls on hand if anything more was tried.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Phillip Gastone wrote:
Considering this is Sorshen, Runelord of Lust I am thinking that one would need a stack of Cure Disease scrolls on hand if anything more was tried.

You assume she would tolerate having, er, "relations" with an individual (or a group of individuals) who have STD's. I think she has higher tastes than that dude. ;)


'Sorshen, get away from the Otyugh."

"Don't wanna."

Dark Archive

Also, you assume that level 20 wizard wouldn't have removed those diseases already :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well at her worst, no doubt Sorshen was doing thing unprintable here, no doubt a certain Warhammer deity would give her the thumbs up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Phillip Gastone wrote:
Well at her worst, no doubt Sorshen was doing thing unprintable here, no doubt a certain Warhammer deity would give her the thumbs up.

oi, that certain Warhammer deity has his hands full right now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If Nocticula can redeem herself, I see no reason why Sorshen couldn't.

And in the end, you do all the fighting in Runeplague anyway and smackdown yet another Runelord at the end.

Honestly out of the five that were left...Sorshen being the only one left alive and willing to change for the better is honestly the best situation we could have gotten.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Actually, the list of alive Runelords at the end of all of this is... quite variable.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Let's say like this: Sorshen is only Runelord you don't need to beat into submission to ally with :P Turns out that unlike Karzoug, quite many ancient super wizards don't prefer fighting to the death if possible


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Just gotten my first notice. Meaning probably next week the PDF is out for suscribers. Can't wait! :D

Dark Archive

magnuskn wrote:
Just gotten my first notice. Meaning probably next week the PDF is out for suscribers. Can't wait! :D

There is still no january 2019 shipping thread, though. ;-(

Shipping is supposed to start on monday 14th.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Just gotten my first notice. Meaning probably next week the PDF is out for suscribers. Can't wait! :D

There is still no january 2019 shipping thread, though. ;-(

Shipping is supposed to start on monday 14th.

? There is one. January 2019 New Releases & Subscription Shipping Thread


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All I know is I want to see Sorshen and Alaznist in a steel cage match.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Mud wrestling.


Oil


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Guys, that stuff belongs with the succubus, let's keep it out of the product forums.

...cevah will make sure to market it better over in the Succubus in a Grapple thread anyway....


Need stats for Queen Mittens from Runeplague


Lathiira,

I was thinking less wrestling and more Death Battle...but sure.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Death Battle is good...seems like a waste of two such powerful NPCs, but to each their own!

51 to 100 of 277 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #138: Rise of New Thassilon (Return of the Runelords 6 of 6) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.