Pathfinder Player Companion: Martial Arts Handbook

****½ (based on 4 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Martial Arts Handbook

Add Print Edition $14.99

Add PDF $10.49

Facebook Twitter Email

Remember Your Training!

Combat is a way of life on Golarion—warriors across the world are constantly in search of the next fight, powerful technique, or weapon in order to improve their skills. Pathfinder Player Companion: Martial Arts Handbook offers new archetypes, feats, and equipment for adventurers of all kinds who rely on their physical prowess in combat, whether they turn themselves into living weapons with their punches and kicks or unleash their mastery with nunchaku and swords.

Inside this book you'll find:

  • Fighting styles from across Golarion, including battle dancers, who use impressive maneuvers to dance around foes, and the black powder vaulters of Alkenstar, who use acrobatics to leap across the battlefield!
  • Dozens of new feats for all kinds of martial artists, including feats to improve combat maneuvers and improvised combat, combination feats, and style feats like the high-flying dragonfly style!
  • New abilities that draw upon the innate power of the body, including ki abilities for both qinggong monks and unchained monks, ninja tricks, and kineticist talents!

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, but it can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-092-7

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9493


See Also:

Average product rating:

****½ (based on 4 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Website ate the review so you'll never ever know why I'm giving this 5 stars.

*****


Everyone's Kung Fu Fighting

***( )( )

Good solid book with some useful stuff but I am disappointed in the lack of unarmored AC options. Also the kineticist wild talents have ridiculous requirements. I could have thought of wild talents that that fit the martial art theme and didn't need to have multi-class, archetypes, feats, etc.


More than Monks

*****

Honestly, I had low expectations for this book. I mean, with the Brawler and the Monk and a plethora of unarmed options for other classes already existent, where could they go from here?

Boy was I wrong.

This book is A+ material, not only opening up martial arts to even more classes but providing all sorts of truly inspiring character options.
Never before have I given serious thought to being a luchador...


One of the best martial player companions

*****

This book adds a plethora of new martial options for quite a number of classes, even unusual ones. From Occultist and Medium, to the good old Monk and Brawler, 12 classes get new and interesting archetypes to choose from.

Even more exciting is the new feats that add something more important than simply +1 to hit or an increase in damage dice, they add options. Options make combat exciting and let your imagination have a field day envisioning a halfling monk grappling and slamming a dragon into the ground so hard that it scares everyone else nearby. There are new actions you can take for nearly all the core maneuvers that allow for specialists to have quite a few different tools under their belt that are more than simply succeeding at their maneuver check.

In addition, the UnMonk (monk compatible) gets its first grappling focused archetype that lets you literally throw enemies multiple feet away from you while still dealing damage. Combine this with a couple of feats and you'll make them shaken and staggered from the experience!

Want to use that fish-tank as a weapon? What about that loose brick on the ground? Disappointed that improvised weapons are sub-optimal and typically not able to be enchanted? Well this is the book for you! The occultist archetype is entirely based around picking up a frying pan and swinging it around while there are also feats and even a style chain that lets you wield any magical item as an enchanted improvised weapon while also treating them as many steps larger and giving them special weapon qualities.

Always wanted to do a Samurai skilled at the art of the blade and the fist? Pick this book up and become a true master of weaving the two together in a concert of two-weapon fighting destruction.

A new style feat chain allows you to take the simplest of weapons, a stick, and turn it into a deadly and versatile weapon, especially when fighting defensively.

New options also exist for people that just like to roll attack and damage rolls in the form of combination feats. Hitting someone with a piercing weapon? Lower their SR or resistances for each hit. Hitting someone with a blunt weapon? Lower their DR for each hit. Not quite as exciting as the options for maneuvers, but it does allow for some interesting riders on basic attacks.

When they said there were new Qinggong ki powers, they were not kidding. The number of options for Qinggong powers has essentially doubled with this book!

Anyone remember the Chakra system? Well Luis Loza does and boy did he rework the concept to be way more useful. Instead of opening your own chakras, how about you close your opponents and give them some extremely brutal penalties because of it. From removing a creatures flying speed to negating all healing for 1min, to finally making it roll 2d20 for all rolls and take the lowest.

Want your kinetic fist or elemental ascetic kineticist to go PLUS ULTRA!? Pick up Gather Might to buff all your physical ability scores instead of reducing burn cost. Take some new infusions to learn a style strike or some other various House of Perfection influenced abilities.

You might have noticed that this is, as far as I know, the first Paizo book that allows characters other than UnMonks to learn style strikes!

Finally, Unarmed characters have a new alternative to the Amulet of Mighty Fists and the Bodywrap of Mighty Strikes that we actually want. Handwraps. Let's be real, this has taken far too long, but I'm glad to finally see these. Basically, these are just brass knuckles that let you use your unarmed strikes damage dice. This is huge, monks before this item were better at using weapons than unarmed strikes because it costed half as much to enchant them even though you had the same number of attacks with either.


151 to 200 of 269 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?

You got it! I love medium and the flavor behind this archetype is great!

You receive IUS for free all the time, but you can only channel the champion. Because you're dedicated to a single spirit, you can surge twice per day without incurring influence, stacking with taboo, in addition all your spirit surge dice are one step bigger (1d8 at first level). You have an ability to call the champion spirit as a standard action without preforming a seance for 1 influence, but it only lasts for minutes a level. Your lesser power is that your unarmed strikes deal damage as a monk of equal level. Shared Seance is replaced by an AC bonus equal to your spirit bonus. Your immediate power also grants a style strike that you can use whenever you use sudden attack, you can change the style strike each time you channel the champion. Trance of Three is replaced by a ki pool and ki power that is temporary for 1 influence point, multiple uses of the ability stack. Your supreme power is a bonus style feat and both feats for that style without meeting the prerequisites.

Oh wow. I really love the medium to. Although my first I didn't build right and had crappy saves at six. My highest save was 4. All the wrong stats. Keep in mind with society. Then I retrained now I am Medium 4/Paladin/2/Scar Seeker 5. I channel Marshal and anyone within LOS and LOE I can add 1d6 + 3 to pretty much and d20 save. I have saved several people with failed saves. I am looking to build a pure medium. Hopefully this will be legal as I love the sounds of this. Def wan to see the flavor. Thanks.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?
Your supreme power is a bonus style feat and both feats for that style without meeting the prerequisites.

You mean all three feats for the style?

Liberty's Edge

Alchemaic wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?
Your supreme power is a bonus style feat and both feats for that style without meeting the prerequisites.
You mean all three feats for the style?

Yes, you could say it that way too.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rysky wrote:
Combination Feats are neat, and Combat Rhythm is cool... on first reading. Reading it again it's sadly not any good, unless "voluntary penalties" covers the penalties from TWF, which is the only real reason to use the Feat as is due to the setup. If not then I don't see this Feat seeing much use as I don't think people regularly use TWF and Power Attack together, otherwise spending a Feat to maybe get a +1 on a third attack in a round just isn't worth it.

I've just taken this feat for my 16th level swashbuckler, who usually has 5 attacks per round and any number of attacks of opportunities for parrying, ripostes, opportunistic attacks, outflanking attacks and more. I've been using Combat Expertise almost exclusively since about 7th level, and Combat Rhythm works very nice for this character. It helps maintaining my AC nicely at 43.

Liberty's Edge

Zaister wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Combination Feats are neat, and Combat Rhythm is cool... on first reading. Reading it again it's sadly not any good, unless "voluntary penalties" covers the penalties from TWF, which is the only real reason to use the Feat as is due to the setup. If not then I don't see this Feat seeing much use as I don't think people regularly use TWF and Power Attack together, otherwise spending a Feat to maybe get a +1 on a third attack in a round just isn't worth it.
I've just taken this feat for my 16th level swashbuckler, who usually has 5 attacks per round and any number of attacks of opportunities for parrying, ripostes, opportunistic attacks, outflanking attacks and more. I've been using Combat Expertise almost exclusively since about 7th level, and Combat Rhythm works very nice for this character. It helps maintaining my AC nicely at 43.

It is also pretty good for the primary focus of this book, monks. They get quite a number of attacks, but tend not to use power attack because of the penalties. Well, not those dragon style monks, they love power attack.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?

You got it! I love medium and the flavor behind this archetype is great!

You receive IUS for free all the time, but you can only channel the champion. Because you're dedicated to a single spirit, you can surge twice per day without incurring influence, stacking with taboo, in addition all your spirit surge dice are one step bigger (1d8 at first level). You have an ability to call the champion spirit as a standard action without preforming a seance for 1 influence, but it only lasts for minutes a level.

Why would you do that? Does this archetype not allow you to perform a standard seance? Or does it offer some alternative that might give you a reason not to perform it?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Combination Feats are neat, and Combat Rhythm is cool... on first reading. Reading it again it's sadly not any good, unless "voluntary penalties" covers the penalties from TWF, which is the only real reason to use the Feat as is due to the setup. If not then I don't see this Feat seeing much use as I don't think people regularly use TWF and Power Attack together, otherwise spending a Feat to maybe get a +1 on a third attack in a round just isn't worth it.
I've just taken this feat for my 16th level swashbuckler, who usually has 5 attacks per round and any number of attacks of opportunities for parrying, ripostes, opportunistic attacks, outflanking attacks and more. I've been using Combat Expertise almost exclusively since about 7th level, and Combat Rhythm works very nice for this character. It helps maintaining my AC nicely at 43.
It is also pretty good for the primary focus of this book, monks. They get quite a number of attacks, but tend not to use power attack because of the penalties. Well, not those dragon style monks, they love power attack.

*nods* which is why I kind-asked if TWF/other MAPs factored into "voluntary penalties".

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
David knott 242 wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?

You got it! I love medium and the flavor behind this archetype is great!

You receive IUS for free all the time, but you can only channel the champion. Because you're dedicated to a single spirit, you can surge twice per day without incurring influence, stacking with taboo, in addition all your spirit surge dice are one step bigger (1d8 at first level). You have an ability to call the champion spirit as a standard action without preforming a seance for 1 influence, but it only lasts for minutes a level.

Why would you do that? Does this archetype not allow you to perform a standard seance? Or does it offer some alternative that might give you a reason not to perform it?

... incase you get jumped?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Micheal Smith wrote:
I think I read there was a medium archetype in here? If so can I get information on that?

You got it! I love medium and the flavor behind this archetype is great!

You receive IUS for free all the time, but you can only channel the champion. Because you're dedicated to a single spirit, you can surge twice per day without incurring influence, stacking with taboo, in addition all your spirit surge dice are one step bigger (1d8 at first level). You have an ability to call the champion spirit as a standard action without preforming a seance for 1 influence, but it only lasts for minutes a level.

Why would you do that? Does this archetype not allow you to perform a standard seance? Or does it offer some alternative that might give you a reason not to perform it?

... incase you get jumped?

Or if you cannot find a good location to channel the champion that adventuring day. The archetype adds some more locations for the spirit, but that doesn't mean you'll always be somewhere that you can channel your 1 spirit.


I'm curious about the new qinggong monk abilities. What are those like?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Duskblade wrote:
I'm curious about the new qinggong monk abilities. What are those like?

This book basically doubles the number of options for Qinggong monk. The easiest way to describe them without giving a full list is to say that a lot of psychic spells made the list.

Some examples are burst of adrenaline/insight, mental barrier and thought shields 1-5, deadly juggernaut, ethereal fists, dustform, entrap spirit, prognostication, unshakable zeal, bilocation, earthquake


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rysky wrote:
*nods* which is why I kind-asked if TWF/other MAPs factored into "voluntary penalties".

I'm reasonably certain the TWF penalties are not what the designer had in mind for "voluntary penalties". I think this refers to the penalties in feats like Power Attack, Deadly Aim, or Combat Expertise, where the description explicitly says "You can choose to take a penalty ...".

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Zaister wrote:
Rysky wrote:
*nods* which is why I kind-asked if TWF/other MAPs factored into "voluntary penalties".
I'm reasonably certain the TWF penalties are not what the designer had in mind for "voluntary penalties". I think this refers to the penalties in feats like Power Attack, Deadly Aim, or Combat Expertise, where the description explicitly says "You can choose to take a penalty ...".

*nods*


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The gather power feat and the feat that lets you use burn as ki sounds interesting, Any way I could get a spoiler of those 2 feats.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.


Rysky wrote:
Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.

Does it stack with a stat belt and elemental overflow?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
shaventalz wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.
Does it stack with a stat belt and elemental overflow?

It is an alchemical bonus to your physical stats.

I'm not comfortable spoiling the exact text of abilities for the most part, as that would be less of a reason to buy the book, but I'm fine with giving a little more detail.

In order to take the feat that lets you use burn as ki you need brawlers flurry or flurry of blows as well as kinetic fist. Basically, you can accept 1 point of burn as a swift action to use any 2 standard monk ki pool abilities (speed, AC, extra attack). 1 burn counts as 2 ki points for other abilities you have.

Gather Might is just +2 to all physical stats for every point of burn reduction you would have gotten instead. It only lasts until the end of your turn though. "Maximum of +10 when spending a full round plus a move action to gather might with the supercharge class feature".


zer0darkfire wrote:
shaventalz wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.
Does it stack with a stat belt and elemental overflow?
I'm not comfortable spoiling the exact text of abilities for the most part, as that would be less of a reason to buy the book, but I'm fine with giving a little more detail.

That's fair; it's just that not stacking with those would have removed some incentive to buy the book.

And now I'm imagining a kineticist that can't stop gathering power or he'll die from the Con loss. Barbarian 3.0 - now with 50% less rage!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm now very sad that this book wasn't out back when I was playing my water kineticist/brawler. Both the water fist infusion mentioned previously and the stat-boosting Gather Power would have been AWESOME for him. Alas.

Everything looks nifty, though. Definitely going to have to pick this one up.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
shaventalz wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.
Does it stack with a stat belt and elemental overflow?
Gather Might is just +2 to all physical stats for every point of burn reduction you would have gotten instead. It only lasts until the end of your turn though. "Maximum of +10 when spending a full round plus a move action to gather might with the supercharge class feature".

On a mechanical level I get why it only lasts until the end of your turn, but I'm still super disappointed you can't beef up and stay in your boosted form for the duration of a fight. Maybe if it was "you gain these bonuses until rounds/level pass or you take a point of burn". I just want to be a super saiyan for reals, you know?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

well they did add a feat that works with it that lets you keep it a little bit longer than the end of your turn.
i am sure someone can take the concept of that and run with it.


Zaister wrote:
Rysky wrote:
*nods* which is why I kind-asked if TWF/other MAPs factored into "voluntary penalties".
I'm reasonably certain the TWF penalties are not what the designer had in mind for "voluntary penalties". I think this refers to the penalties in feats like Power Attack, Deadly Aim, or Combat Expertise, where the description explicitly says "You can choose to take a penalty ...".

The wording is very similar to Blade Tutor's Spirit, so it would work in a similar fashion. Power Attack, Combat Expertise, etc. Not Two Weapon Fighting. Combination Feats rely on having/landing multiple attacks, so lowering penalties on later iteratives/flurries makes sense.


Hmm, would it perhaps apply to things like rapidshot? or wildrager's wild fighting?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
zer0darkfire wrote:


Nothing in it lets you jump higher technically, but it does let you add your wisdom modifier to acrobatics, so that should be a small increase in height.

There's a conduit feat that fixes that. Throwing janni rush on this would be fun, 1 of MoMS then into shifter that specializes with gore might be ideal


Can anybody tell me if the handwraps affect all unarmed strikes or only those that are made with fists?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Raviiiii wrote:
There's a conduit feat that fixes that.

I was debating whether to pop in and mention Wind Leaper in this context. It was one of the first conduit feats I designed, and I knew it was going to end up doing a lot of work. ^_^

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Dryxxxa wrote:
Can anybody tell me if the handwraps affect all unarmed strikes or only those that are made with fists?

It doesn't specify fists.

Liberty's Edge

Rysky wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
Can anybody tell me if the handwraps affect all unarmed strikes or only those that are made with fists?
It doesn't specify fists.

Handwraps actually do specify "attacks the character makes with her hands" in the description of the item.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alchemaic wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
shaventalz wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Instead of mitigating Burn with Gather Power you use it to boost your stats.
Does it stack with a stat belt and elemental overflow?
Gather Might is just +2 to all physical stats for every point of burn reduction you would have gotten instead. It only lasts until the end of your turn though. "Maximum of +10 when spending a full round plus a move action to gather might with the supercharge class feature".
On a mechanical level I get why it only lasts until the end of your turn, but I'm still super disappointed you can't beef up and stay in your boosted form for the duration of a fight. Maybe if it was "you gain these bonuses until rounds/level pass or you take a point of burn". I just want to be a super saiyan for reals, you know?

There are a few fun or cinematic tricks.

- Gather up strength for two rounds to lift the gate up for a moment, as everybody has readied an action to run through.
- Make a noisy distraction with gather energy, then use your boosted Dex for a stealth check to hide.
- Ratchet up the DC of Suffocate or Splash of the Styx, or boost Telekinetic Maneuvers. I haven't checked through the Kinetic Invocation list, but I suspect there will be some there.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
Can anybody tell me if the handwraps affect all unarmed strikes or only those that are made with fists?
It doesn't specify fists.
Handwraps actually do specify "attacks the character makes with her hands" in the description of the item.

Well damn, I read the item 3 times and reread that before posting and still missed that, sorry :(


I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.

Liberty's Edge

I am really liking the styles and the feats, especially for the tonfa. I wonder when this will be approved for the PFS?


What's the tonfa support?

What fun things are there to do while grappling?

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Throne wrote:

What's the tonfa support?

What fun things are there to do while grappling?

Tonfas, as well as other "stick" weapons, got a cool new style that basically lets you give them any special weapon ability. The main draw, however, is the feat that lets you basically get an AoO at anyone that misses you when you fight defensively.

Grappling has a couple new things. Savage Slam lets you, well, savagely slam someone into the ground. This ends the grapple, but makes the enemy prone. There are 3 upgrade feats to this ability, first one makes the enemy shaken after you do this to them, second one makes them staggered if they fail a save, and the last one makes you intimidate everyone within 30ft because that was freaking badass.

There is a separate feat that lets you just spin someone so much that you make them sick for a number of rounds equal to your STR or DEX mod, whichever is higher.

Liberty's Edge

Dryxxxa wrote:
I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.

Solution: Just wrap handwraps on your legs. Will cost the same as an Amulet of Might Fists unless you only use kicks (Janni Style).


zer0darkfire wrote:


Grappling has a couple new things. Savage Slam lets you, well, savagely slam someone into the ground. This ends the grapple, but makes the enemy prone. There are 3 upgrade feats to this ability, first one makes the enemy shaken after you do this to them, second one makes them staggered if they fail a save, and the last one makes you intimidate everyone within 30ft because that was freaking badass.

My brawler is going to enjoy those...


So the fighter doesn't keep armor training, does it alter weapon training? I'm guessing it does.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
zer0darkfire wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.
Solution: Just wrap handwraps on your legs. Will cost the same as an Amulet of Might Fists unless you only use kicks (Janni Style).

Are you actually saying that the handwraps are a slotless item?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
David knott 242 wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.
Solution: Just wrap handwraps on your legs. Will cost the same as an Amulet of Might Fists unless you only use kicks (Janni Style).

Are you actually saying that the handwraps are a slotless item?

Weapon.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Raviiiii wrote:
So the fighter doesn't keep armor training, does it alter weapon training? I'm guessing it does.

Yep, spears.


Rysky wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.
Solution: Just wrap handwraps on your legs. Will cost the same as an Amulet of Might Fists unless you only use kicks (Janni Style).

Are you actually saying that the handwraps are a slotless item?

Weapon.

Does anything prevent one from using handwraps with big enhancement bonuses and a utility AoMF? For example, +4 handwraps and Heartseeker Holy AoMF?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Dryxxxa wrote:
Rysky wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
zer0darkfire wrote:
Dryxxxa wrote:
I guess it's nice that handwraps actually somewhat nerf the awesome and mandatory flying kick.
Solution: Just wrap handwraps on your legs. Will cost the same as an Amulet of Might Fists unless you only use kicks (Janni Style).

Are you actually saying that the handwraps are a slotless item?

Weapon.
Does anything prevent one from using handwraps with big enhancement bonuses and a utility AoMF? For example, +4 handwraps and Heartseeker Holy AoMF?

Yep, it's explicitly stated this doesn't work. You can still wear both and decide which you want to use on each attack though.


Any chance of a list of all the archetypes, their class, and a single sentence summary of what they do? Or did we get all that info already?


Rysky wrote:
Sir_Andrew wrote:
what does the swashbuckler archetype get?
They use Monk weapons, get some basic Monk Chi abilities, and count their levels as Fighter and Monk for the purposes of qualifying for Feats.

Waveblades?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Throne wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Sir_Andrew wrote:
what does the swashbuckler archetype get?
They use Monk weapons, get some basic Monk Chi abilities, and count their levels as Fighter and Monk for the purposes of qualifying for Feats.
Waveblades?

Is that a monk weapon?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Throne wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Sir_Andrew wrote:
what does the swashbuckler archetype get?
They use Monk weapons, get some basic Monk Chi abilities, and count their levels as Fighter and Monk for the purposes of qualifying for Feats.
Waveblades?
Is that a monk weapon?

Close weapon group, monk weapon quality. ^_^


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Any word on if this helps the Ninja Rogue Alternate class at all? I know it suffered from not being unchained for easy dex-to-damage, plus other things. The descriptions would seem to indicate it, but it might all just be monk stuff they assume you'll use.

Silver Crusade

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Battle Dancer (Brawler) Incorporates dancing into their fighting.

Black Powder Vaulter (Gunslinger) Gun Kata

Brawling Blademaster (Samurai) Very proficient at slashing and punching at the same time.

Chu Ye Enforcer (Vigilante) Vigilantes that turn themselves into Oni. Also eye beams.

Extemporaneous Channeler (Occultist) Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures.

Iron-Ring Striker (Magus) This technique has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations!

Lifting Hand Monk, (Monk, Unchained Monk) Grapplers and throwers.

Medium of the Master (Medium) Specialize in channeling spirits of master martial artists.

Okayo Corsair (Swashbuckler) Swashmonks.

Softstrike Monk (Monk, Unchained Monk) Really good at knocking people (living and non) out.

Spear Fighter (Fighter) Spear fighter.

Strong-Side Boxer (Brawler) This hand blocks, this one punches. Don't get them confused cause one is covered in glass.

Style Shifter (Shifter) Master of many Styles, but fluffier.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Ranger3462 wrote:
Any word on if this helps the Ninja Rogue Alternate class at all? I know it suffered from not being unchained for easy dex-to-damage, plus other things. The descriptions would seem to indicate it, but it might all just be monk stuff they assume you'll use.

There's a couple of normal and advanced Ninja Tricks.

Sovereign Court

Rysky wrote:
Ranger3462 wrote:
Any word on if this helps the Ninja Rogue Alternate class at all? I know it suffered from not being unchained for easy dex-to-damage, plus other things. The descriptions would seem to indicate it, but it might all just be monk stuff they assume you'll use.
There's a couple of normal and advanced Ninja Tricks.

Gotcha, so nothing as revolutionary as a full unchaining?

151 to 200 of 269 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Martial Arts Handbook All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.