Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms

Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms

Add Print Edition $22.99

Add PDF $15.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Planar Urban Sprawl

Before the first inklings of civilization rose up upon the mortal world, magnificent cities already existed within the vast corners of the multiverse. Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms offers a look into six of these extraplanar cities that are ripe for exploration by planar travelers. Each entry includes a full-page map and a stat block for the city, a history of the city and its current major players, and a gazetteer of the city's most interesting locales. Within these pages, you'll find details about the following cities, and more:

  • The darkly perfect city of Dis, home of the First King Dispater and his fiendish court.
  • The isle of Yulgamot, a haven of flowing time within the ageless seas of the Astral Plane.
  • The trade hub of Shadow Absalom, lit by the mysterious Glare and ringed by an ocean of dust.
  • The philosophical haven of Basrakal, where outsiders aid each other to defy their own natures.

Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms is intended for use with the Pathfinder campaign setting, but it can be easily adapted to any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-046-0

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO92109


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

101 to 150 of 171 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Yay D'ziriak on the cover! :D


I thought those were rune covered foromians... But that makes more sense Todd.

Thurston,

Wow. Okay now I HAVE to read this book just for that combination alone! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Oh D'ziriak, that makes more sense, I thought they were Formorians as well:)


Shadow Absalom was ruled by an umbral dragon, or at least that's what was written in the Great Beyond campaign setting. I'm anxious to see how much it will differ from its previous description.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Is Shadow Absalom like Pathfinder's version of Shadow Mulsantir? Are there a lot of Shadow <Cities> across the various D&D settings? Is there a Shadow Waterdeep? Shadow Suzail? Shadow Zhentil Keep? In Golarion, Shadow Magnimar? Shadow Kintargo? Shadow Korvosa?

Is having a shadow counterpart something that a lot of cities have, or is it something that's a very rare and unique thing?


I'm glad Dragon and I have poor eye sight. ;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Where else has Basrakal been mentioned?

(I'm not that well-informed on Golarion/PF's planar lore as I prefer Planescape's setting when it comes to planar stuff.)

Paizo Employee Organized Play Lead Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Bellona wrote:

Where else has Basrakal been mentioned?

(I'm not that well-informed on Golarion/PF's planar lore as I prefer Planescape's setting when it comes to planar stuff.)

It hasn’t appeared anywhere before this book, though it is described in Pathfinder RPG Planar Adventures, which comes out at about the same time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
John Compton wrote:
Bellona wrote:

Where else has Basrakal been mentioned?

(I'm not that well-informed on Golarion/PF's planar lore as I prefer Planescape's setting when it comes to planar stuff.)

It hasn’t appeared anywhere before this book, though it is described in Pathfinder RPG Planar Adventures, which comes out at about the same time.

June is going to be a wonderful month.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So is Basrakal where the redeemed and fallen play games of chances with chaos-curious Inevitables?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Bellona wrote:

Where else has Basrakal been mentioned?

(I'm not that well-informed on Golarion/PF's planar lore as I prefer Planescape's setting when it comes to planar stuff.)

John Compton wrote:

It hasn’t appeared anywhere before this book, though it is described in Pathfinder RPG Planar Adventures, which comes out at about the same time.

Thank you for the explanation! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Wonder if Basrakal is where Tabris has been hanging out...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

It would be interesting to get more info Tabris in general.


Samy wrote:

Is Shadow Absalom like Pathfinder's version of Shadow Mulsantir? Are there a lot of Shadow <Cities> across the various D&D settings? Is there a Shadow Waterdeep? Shadow Suzail? Shadow Zhentil Keep? In Golarion, Shadow Magnimar? Shadow Kintargo? Shadow Korvosa?

Is having a shadow counterpart something that a lot of cities have, or is it something that's a very rare and unique thing?

Now I want to do a "Shadow Under Shadow Sandpoint" campaign. :3

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It think it states in another book that a lot of the mirror cities on the Shadow Plane are ruins. There's only a few proper cities, I think.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

8 people marked this as a favorite.

One thing to remember is that the Shadow Plane is "smaller" than the Material Plane. That's why shadow walk works like it does. While there's a lot of "reflection" from the Material Plane into the Shadow Plane (like Shadow Absalom, for example)... the reflections tend to be smaller and/or more compact. There aren't shadow versions of every city... just a couple of them. It's more likely that a typical city's reflection in the Shadow Plane is the equivalent of a single encounter or small structure than a settlement. If it gets anything at all.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

And here I thought the Shadow Plane was the same size as the Material Plane. Well that is interesting to know.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have my copy if there are any questions.....

-Skeld


Could you please tell us the names of the six cities, which planes they reside in, and maybe a short sentence summarizing the basic flavor of each one?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Malefactor wrote:
Could you please tell us the names of the six cities, which planes they reside in, and maybe a short sentence summarizing the basic flavor of each one?

Spoiler:

Basrakal - Maelstrom; Refuge for outcasts in the Maelstrom
Dis - Hell (2nd Layer); court of Dispater
Heaven's Shore - Heaven; separate from Heaven and used as a meeting place of sorts
Shadow Absalom - Shadow Plane; Shadow twin of Absalom
Spire's Edge - Outer Sphere (Boneyard); home for those unclaimed by the afterlife or those just passing through (like adventurers)
Yulgamot - Astral Plane; Stopping over point in the Astral Plane

-Skeld


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was just about to ask about Heaven's Shore! Thanks for the good news, Skeld! (:


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Well that is interesting though still not sure if I am getting this one.


Are there going to be little rules option stuff like in Distant Shores? One touch I really liked in Distant Shores was how each section had a little set of new stuff - one area had mythic options, one area had new gods, one area had new occult rituals, etc.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
PannicAtack wrote:
Are there going to be little rules option stuff like in Distant Shores? One touch I really liked in Distant Shores was how each section had a little set of new stuff - one area had mythic options, one area had new gods, one area had new occult rituals, etc.

Yep, there's stuff sprinkled throughout, including a Shifter Archetype!


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Ooh, nice! I’d love to hear a little about that Shifter archetype.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

It's called the Adaptive Shifter, lets see, it does a bunch of out there shifting stuff so I'ma try and see if I can exaplain without spelling it out lol

They can manifest other natural attacks when activating Sifter Claws rather than being stuck with claws.

Instead of Aspects they get Reactive Forms (which they get a lot of, and get a lot of uses of), which do all sorts of cool stuff, like granting bonuses to Saves, sliding their alignment to count as another one and being able to overcome it, Resistances, movements speeds and survivability in certain environments, size and shape altering (compression, Reach, etc), healing themselves, and spines. I really like the spines since it's a nice surprise for attackers since it deals your Sifter Claws damage and if you take it a second time you can throw them at people!

As the name implies you use them when reacting to something so they're always available, though you can spend a second use to make them last longer, and you can get all day long uses as you level.

Unfettered Wildshape works like Druid's Wildshape so you're not limited by Aspects, but you get a little less time.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

sighs and grabs wallet
Well, I was tempted to get this for cool lore even though I’m not running any planar games, but if they’re going to include awesome Shifter content, I don’t really have a choice.

Thank you for the info!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

heh, Np ^w^

Sorry QuidEst's wallet.


Yay, Shadow Absalom!

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

For other mechanics we have:

2 Rogue Talents, Aligned Sneak Attack and Sever Alignment

2 Masterpieces, Symphony of the Dark Prince and Night Queen's Fury

2 Spells, Inhibiting Patterns and Scintillating Wall

6 Discoveries, Anguish Bomb, Dread Bomb, Grand Rasugen, Greater Rasugen, Melancholy Bomb, Substantiating Bomb

2 Special Materials, Aszite and Druchite

12 Feats, Choral Support, Controlled Patterns, Heavenly Bane, Joined Wings, Lantern Glare, Lantern Light, Lantern Style, Magic Trick, Passing Grace, Pattern Message, Reviving Channel, Shifting Patterns

1 new set of Petitioner traits

5 Archetypes (and 1 Bloodline)

Adaptive Shifter, described above.

Realm Wanderer (Ranger), wandering diplomat with Fiendish Animal Companion.

Sixth Wing Bulwark (Warpriest), shield focused, awesome bodyguards.

Mnemostiller (Alchemist), can extract memories as vapors, Charisma based.

Quintessentialist (Spiritualist), instead of a Phantom they summon a an idealized form of themselves from within.

Astral Sorcerer Bloodline

---

Overall this is very much a book of flavor, from the cities and inhabitants' wonderful descriptions to the top notch art.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Looks like I will have to get this one after all.

Liberty's Edge

Ia the warpriest archetype related to Ragatiel?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Paladinosaur wrote:
Ia the warpriest archetype related to Ragatiel?

Yep!


Rysky wrote:

It's called the Adaptive Shifter, lets see, it does a bunch of out there shifting stuff so I'ma try and see if I can exaplain without spelling it out lol

They can manifest other natural attacks when activating Sifter Claws rather than being stuck with claws.

Instead of Aspects they get Reactive Forms (which they get a lot of, and get a lot of uses of), which do all sorts of cool stuff, like granting bonuses to Saves, sliding their alignment to count as another one and being able to overcome it, Resistances, movements speeds and survivability in certain environments, size and shape altering (compression, Reach, etc), healing themselves, and spines. I really like the spines since it's a nice surprise for attackers since it deals your Sifter Claws damage and if you take it a second time you can throw them at people!

As the name implies you use them when reacting to something so they're always available, though you can spend a second use to make them last longer, and you can get all day long uses as you level.

Unfettered Wildshape works like Druid's Wildshape so you're not limited by Aspects, but you get a little less time.

Ooohh Sifter Claws...I'm imagining someone with a giant round sifters in place of each hand wildly attacking a pile flour. Argh!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

The Shifter archetype seems like a great pick for the later levels where a normal Shifter falls off. (You pick up Wild Shape at 6th, so it starts shining where regular Shifter starts to lose its advantage.) Those reactive forms are great! Get Wisdom as competence to a save as an immediate action, heal as a swift, enlarge, you name it.

The bardic performances are awesome, too. Reverse Gravity for one, and Bestow Curse against anybody who hit you in the last round for the other. (Added bonus, you can use the Bestow Curse option as a death curse-style effect.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rysky wrote:

It's called the Adaptive Shifter, lets see, it does a bunch of out there shifting stuff so I'ma try and see if I can exaplain without spelling it out lol

They can manifest other natural attacks when activating Sifter Claws rather than being stuck with claws.

Instead of Aspects they get Reactive Forms (which they get a lot of, and get a lot of uses of), which do all sorts of cool stuff, like granting bonuses to Saves, sliding their alignment to count as another one and being able to overcome it, Resistances, movements speeds and survivability in certain environments, size and shape altering (compression, Reach, etc), healing themselves, and spines. I really like the spines since it's a nice surprise for attackers since it deals your Sifter Claws damage and if you take it a second time you can throw them at people!

As the name implies you use them when reacting to something so they're always available, though you can spend a second use to make them last longer, and you can get all day long uses as you level.

Unfettered Wildshape works like Druid's Wildshape so you're not limited by Aspects, but you get a little less time.

I read over this archetype, and my goodness do I want to make an Adaptive Shifter now. It has actual options available to it, it's fun, the abilities are all super worth it (mostly) and balanced around the durations you'd have them for, and manifesting alternate natural attacks opens up more options that can even allow for new builds.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So uh, actually one question. There's a feat "Magic Trick" in the book, which opens up a set of tricks for spells in the same vein as equipment tricks. Except the only one in the book is for Floating Disk. So is this going to get expanded on? Because it seems like a really cool idea to make less-popular spells more used by giving them minor bonuses, but I don't want it to die because it only gets printed once in a campaign setting book and never used again.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Alchemaic wrote:
So uh, actually one question. There's a feat "Magic Trick" in the book, which opens up a set of tricks for spells in the same vein as equipment tricks. Except the only one in the book is for Floating Disk. So is this going to get expanded on? Because it seems like a really cool idea to make less-popular spells more used by giving them minor bonuses, but I don't want it to die because it only gets printed once in a campaign setting book and never used again.

Yeah, I saw this and was really impressed and thought about the possibilities other spells might have (spot welding with scorching ray, lubricating moving parts with grease, suddenly catch yourself with a web shelter) but this late in PF1E's game cycle sadly I doubt we'll see much more from Magic Tricks.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Interesting sounding feat.


Wow so we could totally roast fireballs with marshmallows!

I can't wait!


Now I'm going to cast dyslexia.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

It does sound like a very interesting concept for a short third-party product, doesn't it? Maybe someone should do something like that...


Kalindlara wrote:
It does sound like a very interesting concept for a short third-party product, doesn't it? Maybe someone should do something like that...

***Casts Divination***

Hmm doesn't look like that's in the cards for you. :(

Isabelle Lee on the other hand is very probable. Sorry about your luck. :)


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm dying to hear more about this Shifter archetype!


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber
WatersLethe wrote:
I'm dying to hear more about this Shifter archetype!

The only real downsides are shifting starts at 6 and you’ve only got half the time of a regular Shifter. (You also lose the filler tracking/empathy stuff, but that’s not a big deal.) You’ve got Druid’s form selection, minus elementals. You also get a huge menu of reactive stuff you can do. For one point, they last a round. Most of them can be extended to a minute for a second point (and any of those can be put into an all-day slot). The ones that can’t be extended either wouldn’t make sense (healing, which also can’t be done off-turn) or would be too strong (Wisdom as a bonus to a save). It seems like you can build to get minute-buffs for combat, or focus on the strong one-round/instantaneous stuff.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Since it’s an Immediate Action you don’t really need the save to be the all day one anyway.

DM: Make a Fortitude Save please.

Adaptive Shifter: Okay, I spend an Immediate Action ...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

It's a shame you loose wild empathy but otherwise sounds interesting. Does it alter your class skills?


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
It's a shame you loose wild empathy but otherwise sounds interesting.

There's an app for that. ^_^


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

What is this Lantern Archon Style I have seen mentioned...really curious about that one. Those are my fave archons and would really like to see if their fighting style is based on rays. That would be very cool.

Edit: Lantern Light? Lantern Glare? Such cool sounding feats to someone whose fave spells are things like Searing Light and Daybreak Arrow...Burst of Radiance...

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Lantern Style is a throwing weapon based style feat chain. You can illuminate your thrown weapon and cause it to bypass all DR and make targets shaken.

101 to 150 of 171 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Distant Realms All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.