Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Ancients

Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Ancients

Add Print Edition $14.99

Add PDF $10.49

Facebook Twitter Email

The Legacy Lives On

Civilizations have risen and fallen across Golarion for thousands of years, leaving legends and ruins in their wake. Though nations may vanish, they are never truly gone so long as their traditions and descendants still survive. Breathe life into these lost cultures with character options that trace their origins back to ancient times, or pay homage to a distant ancestry with one of the archetypes presented in Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Ancients!

Inside this book you'll find:

  • The vestige bloodline, which allows both bloodragers and sorcerers the power to not only glimpse into the past but also summon long-dead ancestors and forgotten cities and battlefields into the present day.
  • New archetypes, from the ancient Azlanti ioun kineticists and the Spawn slayers of Ninshabur to the golem-forged Jistkan artificers and the Heaven-mandated jinyiwei investigators of Lung Wa.
  • New spells recovered from ancient cultures, including mystic runes from Shory, life-preserving magic from the Mierani arcane wardens, and spells believed to have been used by the founder of Jistka himself.

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but it can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-64078-038-5

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 7 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9490


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

151 to 200 of 209 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So nothing new for the shifter it looks like?


I assume the Aerial Assaulter Fighter gets some means of flying on his own, but... well, I'd still be curious to know more. :p

Actually, I'm curious if any of those air-themed feats give flying...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Arachnofiend wrote:

I assume the Aerial Assaulter Fighter gets some means of flying on his own, but... well, I'd still be curious to know more. :p

Actually, I'm curious if any of those air-themed feats give flying...

The archetype grants no ability to fly, but it definitely enables him to exploit any ability to fly that he gains from a spell, magic item, or other source better.

Ditto for the feats.


Well that's... largely useless. Teaches me to get my hopes up.


How is that useless? There's PLENTY of things that give flight to fighters. :p ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Archmage Variel wrote:
So nothing new for the shifter it looks like?

The Shifter was such a flop....I don't really expect them to spend much effort going foreword on it.


Thomas Seitz wrote:
How is that useless? There's PLENTY of things that give flight to fighters. :p ;)

Clearly it's just supposed to be something that only works once you get to 9th level and can afford a Carpet of Flying. Leave it to a Fighter archetype to not be able to do the things it's advertised to do without outside help...


Fighter ALWAYS needs outside help. Otherwise it's just a fighter by himself in a game that's meant to be cooperative.

Anyways, I'd like some insight on these rituals someone mentioned.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Fighter ALWAYS needs outside help. Otherwise it's just a fighter by himself in a game that's meant to be cooperative.

Anyways, I'd like some insight on these rituals someone mentioned.

There are two rituals.

Seal wards an area with Antipathy plus either Hallow or Unhallow.

Spiritual Investment puts the Ghost Touch enchantment on an item.


Ooh... Spiritual Investment sounds nice!!! What level?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Ooh... Spiritual Investment sounds nice!!! What level?

It is 4th level.

Seal is 9th level.


What kind of stuff does the Bloodrager get? The Vestige bloodrager sounds interesting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Datdaemon wrote:
What kind of stuff does the Bloodrager get? The Vestige bloodrager sounds interesting.

His bloodline bonus feats include some fighter only feats, and he can count his bloodrager levels as fighter levels to qualify for them.

Bloodline powers are Warrior's Discipline, Ancient Tactics, Legacy Style, War's Memory, Legacy Conduit, and Call to Arms.


Thanks for the reply! That sounds pretty awesome, are you able to give any details on what kind of role it plays on the battlefield compared to, say an abyssal (DPR) or aberrant (control) bloodrager or would that be giving away too much?
Regardless, this book has more than piqued my interest, I can't wait!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

A Vestige bloodrager, while raging, basically picks up the fighting techniques of his ancestors. Warrior's Discipline lets him reduce his rage bonuses to do things he otherwise couldn't do while raging. Ancient Tactics lets him improve certain bonuses from the tactical situation. The highest level ability lets him summon a ghostly army.


David knott 242 wrote:
khadgar567 wrote:
any one can spill the beans for magus archype. like what we give up and what we gain.

You give up one of your arms, some of your spells per day, and your 3rd level arcana.

Arcane pool and spellstrike are altered.

You gain Golem Arm, Improved Unarmed Strike, Empowered Arm, Unarmed Spellstrike, and access to additional arcana usable only by this archetype.

So no magic crafting for the "artificer" damn


Thomas Seitz wrote:
Fighter ALWAYS needs outside help. Otherwise it's just a fighter by himself in a game that's meant to be cooperative.

Would be nice to have a Fighter that can do something without needing outside help.


That sounds great! I'm always pumped whenever content is announced for the bloodrager, since it's one of my favourite classes in pathfinder!
Thanks for the info!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Souls At War wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Fighter ALWAYS needs outside help. Otherwise it's just a fighter by himself in a game that's meant to be cooperative.
Would be nice to have a Fighter that can do something without needing outside help.

They can do a lot of magical things on their own, with the right gear or feats. When it comes to flight, winged boots aren't that expensive and Flight Mastery is available at level 9.

Hence the Aerial Assaulter Fighter might still make sense, even without a built-in way to fly.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Love the ironbound sword. Strange that it does not give up mounts. Oh well, that just means more non-lethal lance strikes...with the right feats. Still love that this can disable people pretty well. The knockout blow is great for making your enemies fall down for a bit while you either end the fight through restraint, or flat katana execution on your downed enemy.


Curious about Hinyasi Brawlers, what do they give up? And can they enhance improvised weapons effectively? Up to +5?


Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Secret Wizard wrote:
Curious about Hinyasi Brawlers, what do they give up? And can they enhance improvised weapons effectively? Up to +5?

The Hinyasi Brawler gives up shield proficiency, the 2nd level bonus combat feat, knockout, and weapon mastery. They do not gain the ability to enhance improvised weapons (unless that can be done with existing Brawler class abilities that were not altered or replaced), but they can eventually inflict unarmed strike damage with them at +2 to hit and damage, along with the ability to perform one of three selected combat maneuvers when she hits with an improvised weapon.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Arachnofiend wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
How is that useless? There's PLENTY of things that give flight to fighters. :p ;)
Clearly it's just supposed to be something that only works once you get to 9th level and can afford a Carpet of Flying. Leave it to a Fighter archetype to not be able to do the things it's advertised to do without outside help...

Well, if the archetype doesn't replace Weapon Training, there's the option of grabbing the Item Mastery AWT for Flying. Or just taking the feat the normal way.

Still not great though, admittedly.


What's the Ioun Kineticist like?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
111phantom wrote:
What's the Ioun Kineticist like?

It appears to be a sort of variant of Aether where the Kineticist gets to act like a giant wayfinder.


Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Alchemaic wrote:
111phantom wrote:
What's the Ioun Kineticist like?
It appears to be a sort of variant of Aether where the Kineticist gets to act like a giant wayfinder.

Also answered earlier in this thread.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Huh, there are three feats in this book that are better for non-magical healers than the entirety of Healer's Handbook. That's already very promising.


Alchemaic wrote:
Huh, there are three feats in this book that are better for non-magical healers than the entirety of Healer's Handbook. That's already very promising.

Sweet. :)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Oooo, the Dwarven stuff is pretty cool, Sky Seeker style rocks (f*## you reach users) and Dwarven Scholar is a Wisdom based battle Bard :3

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Oooo, the Dwarven stuff is pretty cool, Sky Seeker style rocks (f~*% you reach users) and Dwarven Scholar is a Wisdom based battle Bard :3

Glad you liked the dwarven stuff! I had a blast with those little guys. :)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Jeffrey Swank wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Oooo, the Dwarven stuff is pretty cool, Sky Seeker style rocks (f~*% you reach users) and Dwarven Scholar is a Wisdom based battle Bard :3
Glad you liked the dwarven stuff! I had a blast with those little guys. :)

Yay! I do! Thankies for writing them ^w^

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Honestly I'm just confused why Golem's Gauntlet(which is adamantine light mace) is listed as Wondrous Item, shouldn't it be Unique Weapon craftable by craft magic arms?

Also, one of my player's noticed that Skim spell is sorta similar to Kreighton's Perusal in terms of what it does, though they do have different effect despite both being level 1 skim reading spells.(Kreighton's perusal giving effect of reading book as if you read it for 1 hour while Skim spell just makes reading time take quarter of what it normally takes, so situation wise one of them can be better than another) That said, I personally think its just more fun to have multiple different speed reading spells especially since they don't actually step on each other's toes and make other one to be useless, Kreighton's Perusal is "I need to uber fast know what this is about" while Skim is downtime time saving spell.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the new slayer can kill the Tarrasque.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
John Ryan 783 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the new slayer can kill the Tarrasque.

I mean, it's called a Spawn Slayer for a reason.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm a little confused about the Jistkan Artificer's Flurrying Arm arcana. It says you get only one extra attack, how exactly does that work? Is it normal core monk flurry, where you use your level as your BAB? If so, does the extra iterative you might get for a higher BAB count as the extra attack? Or do you just get the one extra TWF attack, but you never get later versions of the feat?

Or is it just one extra attack at your highest BAB, like with the unchained monk?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Brew Bird wrote:

I'm a little confused about the Jistkan Artificer's Flurrying Arm arcana. It says you get only one extra attack, how exactly does that work? Is it normal core monk flurry, where you use your level as your BAB? If so, does the extra iterative you might get for a higher BAB count as the extra attack? Or do you just get the one extra TWF attack, but you never get later versions of the feat?

Or is it just one extra attack at your highest BAB, like with the unchained monk?

You gain the one additional TWF attack, as if you were a 1st level monk. The language about not receiving any extra attacks is there to clarify that you do not get the extra attacks that a monk normally receives at 8th and 15th levels. Additionally, you get the whole full BAB bit and the ability to qualify for anything that requires a flurry of blows.


Luis Loza wrote:
Brew Bird wrote:

I'm a little confused about the Jistkan Artificer's Flurrying Arm arcana. It says you get only one extra attack, how exactly does that work? Is it normal core monk flurry, where you use your level as your BAB? If so, does the extra iterative you might get for a higher BAB count as the extra attack? Or do you just get the one extra TWF attack, but you never get later versions of the feat?

Or is it just one extra attack at your highest BAB, like with the unchained monk?

You gain the one additional TWF attack, as if you were a 1st level monk. The language about not receiving any extra attacks is there to clarify that you do not get the extra attacks that a monk normally receives at 8th and 15th levels. Additionally, you get the whole full BAB bit and the ability to qualify for anything that requires a flurry of blows.

THanks for explaning mr. Loza that was my question as well


Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion Subscriber

Kineticist archetype stuff.

Spoiler:
The Kineticist archetype seems to be for people who want to play Aether like a regular blasting element rather than a utility element. You lose access to the good utility talents and a couple infusions in order to get a few infusion options and a good composite blast. Your elemental overflow is replaced with something weaker, but it's no longer a size bonus. If you have a way to get a size bonus, that'll stack now.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Two thoughts:

Jistkan Artificer + Peg Leg trait = fully functional Edward Elric. Full Metal Alchemist ahooooooy!

Shared Training looks really, really, really good.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pounce wrote:

Two thoughts:

Jistkan Artificer + Peg Leg trait = fully functional Edward Elric. Full Metal Alchemist ahooooooy!

Shared Training looks really, really, really good.

Throw in a level of Brawler (Constructed Pugilist) and Deific Obedience for Brigh and you'll be more machine than man.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Did anyone notice that the page numbers in this book are off by 2, compared to the table of contents and the way page numbers in Player Companions are usually assigned?


Nirdish wrote:
Pounce wrote:

Two thoughts:

Jistkan Artificer + Peg Leg trait = fully functional Edward Elric. Full Metal Alchemist ahooooooy!

Shared Training looks really, really, really good.

Throw in a level of Brawler (Constructed Pugilist) and Deific Obedience for Brigh and you'll be more machine than man.

Ooh, that is a beautiful Brawler archetype if I've ever seen one.

Interestingly enough, the Jistkan Artificer actually gets to penetrate DR / Magic etc when in an antimagic field, since the ability that gives it a faux enhancement bonus has the (Ex) prefix. Take that, dragons!


Arachnofiend wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:
How is that useless? There's PLENTY of things that give flight to fighters. :p ;)
Clearly it's just supposed to be something that only works once you get to 9th level and can afford a Carpet of Flying. Leave it to a Fighter archetype to not be able to do the things it's advertised to do without outside help...

In my opinion, a self-sufficient flying Fighter is probably done the easiest through the Mutation Warrior archetype - Wings is one of the discoveries available to you. That said, the Mutation Warrior and the Aerial Assaulter don't stack with each other, as both replace Armour Mastery.


Zaister wrote:
Did anyone notice that the page numbers in this book are off by 2, compared to the table of contents and the way page numbers in Player Companions are usually assigned?

Not sure whether I get the question. In my experience Player Companions, Campaign Settings and Adventure Paths are always off by 2 page numbers: Page x of the book is Page x+2 in the PDF. At the hardcovers the offset is just +1.

I got so used to adding +2 or +1 that I caught myself doing so when using the physical books...


Alchemaic wrote:
John Ryan 783 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the new slayer can kill the Tarrasque.
I mean, it's called a Spawn Slayer for a reason.

i don't think it can. its regeneration stats: "No form of attack can suppress the tarrasque's regeneration". so a slayer wouldn't be able to stop it. though it would have been awesome if it could

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Sir_Andrew wrote:
Alchemaic wrote:
John Ryan 783 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the new slayer can kill the Tarrasque.
I mean, it's called a Spawn Slayer for a reason.
i don't think it can. its regeneration stats: "No form of attack can suppress the tarrasque's regeneration". so a slayer wouldn't be able to stop it. though it would have been awesome if it could

Hmm, this is an interesting situation. As noted the Defensive Ability states it can't be suppressed, but the Capstone ability of the Spawn Slayer, people who have devoted their entire existence to fighting the Spawn of Rovagug, of which the Tarrasque is one, is Force Vulnerability, which lets them turn off one of a target's Defensive Abilities for a couple of rounds.


Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rysky wrote:
Sir_Andrew wrote:
Alchemaic wrote:
John Ryan 783 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think the new slayer can kill the Tarrasque.
I mean, it's called a Spawn Slayer for a reason.
i don't think it can. its regeneration stats: "No form of attack can suppress the tarrasque's regeneration". so a slayer wouldn't be able to stop it. though it would have been awesome if it could
Hmm, this is an interesting situation. As noted the Defensive Ability states it can't be suppressed, but the Capstone ability of the Spawn Slayer, people who have devoted their entire existence to fighting the Spawn of Rovagug, of which the Tarrasque is one, is Force Vulnerability, which lets them turn off one of a target's Defensive Abilities for a couple of rounds.

This looks like the classic irresistible force/immovable object paradox. I wonder which is supposed to be considered the more specific rule that overrides the general rule of the other?

Dark Archive

A player characters ecplicit ability always overrides any monster abilities and you shouldn't take that away, that's written down somewhere (maybe in the Game Mastery Guide?).

I would definetly rule it so.
Even with a level 20 spawn slayer (and acompanying party), the Tarasque is a level 25 threat & can wipe out the pc's.


Marco Massoudi wrote:

A player characters ecplicit ability always overrides any monster abilities and you shouldn't take that away, that's written down somewhere (maybe in the Game Mastery Guide?).

I would definetly rule it so.
Even with a level 20 spawn slayer (and acompanying party), the Tarasque is a level 25 threat & can wipe out the pc's.

interesting, but even if you stop the regeneration for 2d6 rounds, wouldn't it just revive it after regeneration kicks back in?


Sir_Andrew wrote:


interesting, but even if you stop the regeneration for 2d6 rounds, wouldn't it just revive it after regeneration kicks back in?

Depends on if you manage to actually kill it. Once dead, regeneration does not work.

151 to 200 of 209 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Ancients All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.