Weekly Wonders: Archetypes of Intrigue Volume V, Malcontents (PFRPG) PDF
Necromancers of the Northwest
Vive la Revolucion!
Intrigue is a staple of the fantasy genre, and many players and GMs are drawn to the idea of a grand campaign of political intrigue, in which the players face the dangers of scheming politicians, backstabbing assassins, high-society soirees, and similar trials, instead of the usual drudging through moldy old dungeons, killing things and taking their stuff. A proper political drama or heist adventure can be hard to run and even harder to write, but perhaps the hardest is for players to get in the appropriate mindset, and deal with their problems with finesse, rather than a blunt weapon. One thing that can help players get in the mood—and get themselves an edge—when it comes to intrigue is having an archetype that kits their preferred class out a bit more for the type of adventure they’ll be playing. Each installment of Weekly Wonders: Archetypes of Intrigue presents six new archetypes tied to a particular role common in intrigue adventures.
For this book, we focus on malcontents. Whether they are painted as righteous freedom fighters opposing a tyrannical regime, or riotous insurgents opposing legitimate authority for their own ends, an angry populace is a force to be reckoned with. Good or bad, malcontents may very well be at the center of political intrigues, mobilizing the people as a weapon against their foes. Each of the archetypes in this book focus on themes of outrage and revenge, and striking out against those who would control or silence them. This book includes the following archetypes:
• The arcane insurgent, an arcanist archetype that specializes in combating the establishment, with the ability to resist being silenced, and with spells that are more effective against conformists.
• The fist of the revolution, a brawler archetype that can resist mental control, and convert others to his cause with a single powerful punch.
• The denouncer, an inquisitor archetype that casts down the corrupt elite, and can sniff out their crimes and excesses.
• Two new malcontent-themed oracle curses, enraged and persecuted.
• The voice of shades, a spiritualist archetype that can sense malice and frustration in others and cause it to grow to rage and hate.
• The herald of rebellion, a warpriest archetype that can enrage others with a touch, and unleash a powerful battle cry.
Whether you're about to embark on a campaign of courtly intrigue (such as one of multiple official Paizo adventure paths), or you just want to play a character with a political bent, this book has lots of tantalizing options to offer. Even GMs can get in on the fun, as several of the archetypes here are perfect for NPCs tied to royal courts as well, and can make for exciting and memorable encounters.
Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.