Starfinder Core Rulebook

4.60/5 (based on 31 ratings)
Starfinder Core Rulebook

Add Hardcover $59.99

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Shoot for the Stars

Blast off into a galaxy of adventure with the Starfinder Roleplaying Game! Step into your powered armor and grab your magic-infused laser rifle as you investigate the mysteries of a weird universe with your bold starship crew. Will you delve for lost artifacts in the ruins of alien temples? Strap on rune-enhanced armor and a laser rifle to battle undead empires in fleets of bone ships, or defend colonists from a swarm of ravenous monsters? Maybe you'll hack into the mainframe of a god-run corporation, or search the stars for clues to the secret history of the universe or brand new planets to explore. Whether you're making first contact with new cultures on uncharted worlds or fighting to survive in the neon-lit back alleys of Absalom Station, you and your team will need all your wits, combat skill, and magic to make it through. But most of all, you'll need each other.

This massive 528-page hardcover rulebook is the essential centerpiece of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, with rules for character creation, magic, gear, and more—everything you need to play Starfinder as either a player or Game Master! The next great adventure in science-fantasy roleplaying takes off here, and the Starfinder Core Rulebook is your ticket to a lifetime of adventure amid the stars!

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • All of the rules you need to play or run a game of Starfinder.
  • Seven character classes, from the elite soldier and stealthy operative to the physics-hacking technomancer and mind-bending mystic.
  • Character races both new and classic, from androids, insectile shirrens, ratlike ysoki, and reptilian vesk to the dwarves and elves of the distant future.
  • An in-depth exploration of the Starfinder setting, including its planets, gods, factions, and threats.
  • Hundreds of weapons, spells, technological gadgets, magic items, and other options to outfit any character.
  • Complete rules for starships, including customization and starship combat.
  • Rules and tips on using Pathfinder RPG content with Starfinder.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-956-1

Downloads

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7101


See Also:

1 to 5 of 32 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 31 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Tells this type of story best.

5/5

Starfinder's system tells science fantasy well, in that it's mechanics are techie and detailed, more so than more narrative rulesets. It feels designed for the genre, and makes tech stuff and starships mesh with magic and spells so they feel like they fit rather than feeling like part of the game was bolted on.

A well designed system for an underserved sci-fan market.


Absolutely love it.

5/5

It's the real deal, this book fulfills the definition of "core" to perfection.
First the only couple of "bad" things: 1) the monsters are missing, and that is surely due to the fact that it's already a huge book, so it's understandable. Besides, you can download "First Contact" for free and use those to start you off, or you can adapt Pathfinder monsters very easily with the guidelines provided in this book.
2) A few corrections were done to the part about starship combat, for which you will have to look-up the errata page online and mark down the modifications (mostly to DCs of actions in space). But to be honest, that doesn't bother me.
Apart from that, this book does a fantastic job explaining the game and quickly teaching you how to play it with lots of examples and pre-made combinations of choices for characters to guide you, should you need it. They managed to cram so much in this book that it's in itself a notable feat, but more than that, every topic is presented with enough depth to not leave you wanting too much.
The section on starships is both bold in scope and very welcome!
The value for your money alone would warrant 5 stars, let alone the fantastic layout, illustration, narration and convincing world-building.
Oh, I almost forgot about the game itself, how shall I put it... it's extraordinarily good! Exciting, fun, easy to play, sufficiently original without being weird, a bold start to a cosmic saga that continues the enormous lore of Pathfinder and opens it up to stellar proportions.
My new favorite tabletop rpg!


Loving the SciFi!

5/5

Been playing RPGs since 1977. Very excited to start playing StarFinder. Great value, 1 book is all a player needs, epic artwork, sturdy construction, the list goes on. Definitely a game produced by gamers, for gamers. I bought the physical book and then, for he first time in my life, the pdf version. If you’ve never bought a pdf before, I highly recommend it, EXCEPTIONAL value.


5/5


Great game!

5/5

Just to put it simply, this is an amazing game, the rules are an improvement over Pathfinder, but nos as simplistic as 5th edition. And the setting is just a great... we are having a blast playing the Dead Suns campaign. So far, it has become my favorite rpg!


1 to 5 of 32 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
401 to 450 of 949 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I subscribed and bought the limited edition so I get the PDF regardless, but I agree. At that price point it should come with the free PDF just for supporting the company and buying direct. Thus the only choice being which version do I want.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Takes Skeld's trash and recycling to the curb, sends the wife inside for English muffins.

Any day now...


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

*waiting intensifies*

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.


Reckless wrote:


I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

Commitment issues?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

I preordered it from my local store. Support your local gaming store.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

If you look a little earlier, he got the limited edition book, which isn't available with the subscription; if he wanted the free PDF, he'd have to get both the limited edition book and the regular, which would definitely cost even more than shelling out for the PDF.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Luthorne wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

If you look a little earlier, he got the limited edition book, which isn't available with the subscription; if he wanted the free PDF, he'd have to get both the limited edition book and the regular, which would definitely cost even more than shelling out for the PDF.

Yeah, I subbed and then the limited edition was announced, so I’m gifting the ordinary book to a friend.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'd think you might want to keep your limited edition pristine and have a normal copy for everyday use. Unless you use the PDF for that.

Honestly, though, I understand it can be really hard to justify spending that much for what comes down to three copies of the same book.


During sessions I'll use the pdf on my tablet (I'm the GM), hand the players a b/w print in a looseleaf, and keep the Limited Edition One safe as The Holy Relic ^_^

So no triple buy: sorry Paizo but my commitment HAS some limit LOL

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

Because I save about 30 dollar by buying it at a FLGS and the pdf seperately. :)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Damanta wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

Because I save about 30 dollar by buying it at a FLGS and the pdf seperately. :)

I used to do that. I only subscribed when I no longer had a FLGS.

Liberty's Edge

Damanta wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

Because I save about 30 dollar by buying it at a FLGS and the pdf seperately. :)

When you live in the United States and you participate in an English language message board, you can forget that many other participants don't live in your country.

And not living outside of the USA, they have no idea of just how high international shipping costs are, particularly overseas. It's just not something they have to deal with, so they don't think about it.


Just got an email that said Paizo Inc!

Oh it was a twitter email...

Dark Archive

GIMME MY STARFINDER CORE RULE BOOK!

(ok, got that out of my system, sorry for the yelling)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Bigguyinblack wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

I preordered it from my local store. Support your local gaming store.

This post offers some of the reasons why we only offer free PDFs with subscriber copies. I don't want to derail this thread from the Starfinder Core Rulebook, so if you feel followup discussion is needed, please post in that thread.

The bottom line is that there are good reasons to buy from us. There are good reasons to subscribe from us. There are good reasons to buy from your local shops. And there are good reasons to buy from other internet retailers. The best answer is to do whatever makes the most sense for you.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
The bottom line is that there are good reasons to buy from us. There are good reasons to subscribe from us. There are good reasons to buy from your local shops. And there are good reasons to buy from other internet retailers. The best answer is to do whatever makes the most sense for you.

All good points! I need to pick up the AP subscription again. I'm going to be busy for a while running Strange Aeons but there's always other games going and running by friends.

I like that the subscription has benefits like the free PDF and simultaneously Paizo can measure some regularly revenue from those subscribers. Who doesn't like good, solid financial forecasting while also giving its subscriber fan base perks?

I'm eagerly anticipating that ship notification! Very excited to peruse the PDF until my hard cover arrives!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Reckless wrote:
Raspo wrote:

Ouch.

Can't understand why anyone should put 10$ on top of the full price just to get the PDF, but I guess I'll pay nonetheless...

Anyway, thanks for the info ^^

I likewise can't understand why anyone who wants the book and the pdf doesn't Just subscribe and get the free pdf.

Because shipping costs to Germany.

Liberty's Edge

SilentInfinity wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
The bottom line is that there are good reasons to buy from us. There are good reasons to subscribe from us. There are good reasons to buy from your local shops. And there are good reasons to buy from other internet retailers. The best answer is to do whatever makes the most sense for you.

All good points! I need to pick up the AP subscription again. I'm going to be busy for a while running Strange Aeons but there's always other games going and running by friends.

I like that the subscription has benefits like the free PDF and simultaneously Paizo can measure some regularly revenue from those subscribers. Who doesn't like good, solid financial forecasting while also giving its subscriber fan base perks?

I'm eagerly anticipating that ship notification! Very excited to peruse the PDF until my hard cover arrives!

That's what we are all waiting for :-P


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I got my shipping notice. I downloaded the PDF. I don't think I've ever been this early with something like this before.

I hope it wasn't a mistake.

Anyway, I'm willing to give limited, vague answers to specific questions.


I have questions.

Is there a penalty to firing into melee?

Is there an Improved Precise Shot style feat that allows you to ignore cover?

Is the damage on big guns notably decreased when used by small characters?

Is there a feat that makes you better at grapple?

Does the Envoy get an ability that increases the accuracy of all allies?

Scarab Sages Developer, Starfinder Team

4 people marked this as a favorite.

It's a big order to get out so, yeah, some people shipping has now occurred and thus you folks get your pdfs now.
I hope you enjoy the book. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Distant Scholar wrote:

I got my shipping notice. I downloaded the PDF. I don't think I've ever been this early with something like this before.

I hope it wasn't a mistake.

Anyway, I'm willing to give limited, vague answers to specific questions.

Are you willing to self-fund an express flight to Australia and give me your book?


Bigguyinblack wrote:

I have questions.

Is there a penalty to firing into melee?

Is there an Improved Precise Shot style feat that allows you to ignore cover?

Is the damage on big guns notably decreased when used by small characters?

Is there a feat that makes you better at grapple?

Does the Envoy get an ability that increases the accuracy of all allies?

1. Not that I could find. (Creatures still provide cover.)

2. Not that I could find.
3. Not that I could find. (Damage doesn't seem to change with size at all.)
4. Yes.
5. They can.

I want to click on the chapter titles on the side of the page to go to that chapter. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jhaeman wrote:
Are you willing to self-fund an express flight to Australia and give me your book?

No.


Very Soon

I hope


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

I can not express how jealous I am of you at this moment lol. Congrats man.. now back to eagerly watching my inbox to no avail.

Grand Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Distant Scholar wrote:
Jhaeman wrote:
Are you willing to self-fund an express flight to Australia and give me your book?
No.

Man, that wasn't vague at all!


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Since magic has been merged (arcane/divine/psychic), do the mystic and technomancer have different spell lists, or just different class features other than spellcasting?


HammerJack wrote:
Since magic has been merged (arcane/divine/psychic), do the mystic and technomancer have different spell lists, or just different class features other than spellcasting?

They have different spell lists.


1) What sort of abilities does the Bounty Hunter theme grant?

2) What do the Operative Specializations look like? do any of them seem to have a "ninja-like" feel?

3) What can you share about the Soldier's Fighting Styles? are they mostly passive abilities or do they grant things like special attacks and such?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

What is the most interesting piece of information you've found so far?

Are there any pieces of equipment with awesome names?

Roughly how many spaceships are there?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

How are blindsense and blindsight treated? No need to be too specific, but from what I've gathered, they're generally a catch-all for things such as scent, thoughtsense, etc.

Also, is there a soldier specialization that favors dex-based melee options? Or would that be more the area of operative?

Congrats on the early pdf, so jealous *-*

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

OH OH ALSO HOW MUCH INFORMATION ON SPACE HELLKNIGHTS ARE THERE


SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:

1) What sort of abilities does the Bounty Hunter theme grant?

2) What do the Operative Specializations look like? do any of them seem to have a "ninja-like" feel?

3) What can you share about the Soldier's Fighting Styles? are they mostly passive abilities or do they grant things like special attacks and such?

1) Bounty hunter makes it easier to find and follow your "mark", in a variety of ways.

2) At least two specializations could be interpreted as "ninja-like", depending on what "ninja-like" means to you.

3) I would say some fighting styles grant special attacks.


I am chartreuse with envy right now. Order processed last week but no pdf!


Dansome wrote:

What is the most interesting piece of information you've found so far?

Are there any pieces of equipment with awesome names?

Roughly how many spaceships are there?

1.) The Equipment chapter is larger than the Magic and Spells chapter.

2.) Yes. :-) [thunderstrike pulse gauntlet, bespoke echelon fashion, jarlslayer, ring of cosmic alignment]

3.) About fifteen example ships; about a dozen base frames to build your own.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I would also like to ask if the mechanic's exocortex option grants extra "active" abilities, like new equipment hacking options, or if it is all passive bonuses, like the proficiencies that it grants, or skill bonuses.

Dark Archive

Steve Geddes wrote:
Tabletop Prophet wrote:
Will Starfinder have an OGL?

It is being released under the OGL (the same one that allowed Pathfinder to be published).

There is also. a Starfinder Compatibility License that third party publishers can use to produce OGL content which is compatible with it.

Thanks, I'm halting my TPP project until I see Starfinder and this is very encouraging. It will be more work than using pathfinder, but I think the system will be much more accessible if they only have to purchase my setting book and Starfinder Core Rulebook to play my setting, as opposed to Pathfinder, where I would be expected to find a place for most of the bloat Pathfinder has accumulated.


UllarWarlord wrote:

How are blindsense and blindsight treated? No need to be too specific, but from what I've gathered, they're generally a catch-all for things such as scent, thoughtsense, etc.

Also, is there a soldier specialization that favors dex-based melee options? Or would that be more the area of operative?

OH OH ALSO HOW MUCH INFORMATION ON SPACE HELLKNIGHTS ARE THERE

Congrats on the early pdf, so jealous *-*

1.) Yes, they're catch-all terms.

2.) No Dex-based melee options. Speed and movement, yes.

3.) One page.


HammerJack wrote:
I would also like to ask if the mechanic's exocortex option grants extra "active" abilities, like new equipment hacking options, or if it is all passive bonuses, like the proficiencies that it grants, or skill bonuses.

I would say yes.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

What are the ability score adjustments for Vesk?

Do Kasatha have any abilty score penalty now?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Oi! How lucky you are, Distant Scholar! Many thanks!

How many vehicles are there? War walkers, hovercars, hoverbikes, and tanks have been implied at one point or another, if I remember accurately, so I imagine two pages at least.

Does the setting section give much description of other stellar civilizations, such as the Azlanti Empire or the Veskarium? How much galactic history is written up, and is there a timeline?

Do spells seem more powerful, less, or about unchanged from their Pathfinder counterparts? (damage output, save defenses, etc)

Liberty's Edge

How big is the ship to ship combat section? 5 pages, 10, 20?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
David knott 242 wrote:

What are the ability score adjustments for Vesk?

Do Kasatha have any abilty score penalty now?

1.) +2 Str/+2 Con/-2 Int (did we know that already?)

2.) Yes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Opsylum wrote:

Oi! How lucky you are, Distant Scholar! Many thanks!

How many vehicles are there? War walkers, hovercars, hoverbikes, and tanks have been implied at one point or another, if I remember accurately, so I imagine two pages at least.

Does the setting section give much description of other stellar civilizations, such as the Azlanti Empire or the Veskarium? How much galactic history is written up, and is there a timeline?

Do spells seem more powerful, less, or about unchanged from their Pathfinder counterparts? (damage output, save defenses, etc)

0.) Yes, I am lucky.

1.) Two pages for vehicles, not counting starships. No tanks.

2.) There is a short visual timeline (only 317 years since the Gap). Systems/empires outside the main system get half a page, including the Veskarium and the Romulan Azlanti Star Empire.

3.) Damaging spells, in general, do more damage. I didn't see any spells that added +N to AC, saves, attack rolls, etc.


DrSwordopolis wrote:
How big is the ship to ship combat section? 5 pages, 10, 20?

About 10.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

do we have race based feats? Theme beased feats?


What kind of coverage to other races such as Elves and Dwarves etc.(the old standard races) get?


4 people marked this as a favorite.
GeneticDrift wrote:

do we have race based feats? Theme beased feats?

I don't see any. One feat does require 4 or more arms, though.

401 to 450 of 949 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Core Rulebook All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.