Starfinder Core Rulebook

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)
Starfinder Core Rulebook

Add Hardcover $59.99

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Shoot for the Stars

Blast off into a galaxy of adventure with the Starfinder Roleplaying Game! Step into your powered armor and grab your magic-infused laser rifle as you investigate the mysteries of a weird universe with your bold starship crew. Will you delve for lost artifacts in the ruins of alien temples? Strap on rune-enhanced armor and a laser rifle to battle undead empires in fleets of bone ships, or defend colonists from a swarm of ravenous monsters? Maybe you'll hack into the mainframe of a god-run corporation, or search the stars for clues to the secret history of the universe or brand new planets to explore. Whether you're making first contact with new cultures on uncharted worlds or fighting to survive in the neon-lit back alleys of Absalom Station, you and your team will need all your wits, combat skill, and magic to make it through. But most of all, you'll need each other.

This massive 528-page hardcover rulebook is the essential centerpiece of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, with rules for character creation, magic, gear, and more—everything you need to play Starfinder as either a player or Game Master! The next great adventure in science-fantasy roleplaying takes off here, and the Starfinder Core Rulebook is your ticket to a lifetime of adventure amid the stars!

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • All of the rules you need to play or run a game of Starfinder.
  • Seven character classes, from the elite soldier and stealthy operative to the physics-hacking technomancer and mind-bending mystic.
  • Character races both new and classic, from androids, insectile shirrens, ratlike ysoki, and reptilian vesk to the dwarves and elves of the distant future.
  • An in-depth exploration of the Starfinder setting, including its planets, gods, factions, and threats.
  • Hundreds of weapons, spells, technological gadgets, magic items, and other options to outfit any character.
  • Complete rules for starships, including customization and starship combat.
  • Rules and tips on using Pathfinder RPG content with Starfinder.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-956-1

Downloads

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7101


See Also:

1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Fantasy in Space

5/5

My title says it all: "Fantasy in Space".

I've been playing this set of rules for 2 years now and I will state that it is fantastic!

Be warned that this fantasy setting has both magic and technology. It builds completely on the fantasy genre and adds technology to the mix.

For those looking for hard science-fiction, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. It's hard to run that type of campaign with this ruleset without having to make a ton of changes.

This is currently my favorite futuristic game and I highly recommend it!


Tells this type of story best.

5/5

Starfinder's system tells science fantasy well, in that it's mechanics are techie and detailed, more so than more narrative rulesets. It feels designed for the genre, and makes tech stuff and starships mesh with magic and spells so they feel like they fit rather than feeling like part of the game was bolted on.

A well designed system for an underserved sci-fan market.


Absolutely love it.

5/5

It's the real deal, this book fulfills the definition of "core" to perfection.
First the only couple of "bad" things: 1) the monsters are missing, and that is surely due to the fact that it's already a huge book, so it's understandable. Besides, you can download "First Contact" for free and use those to start you off, or you can adapt Pathfinder monsters very easily with the guidelines provided in this book.
2) A few corrections were done to the part about starship combat, for which you will have to look-up the errata page online and mark down the modifications (mostly to DCs of actions in space). But to be honest, that doesn't bother me.
Apart from that, this book does a fantastic job explaining the game and quickly teaching you how to play it with lots of examples and pre-made combinations of choices for characters to guide you, should you need it. They managed to cram so much in this book that it's in itself a notable feat, but more than that, every topic is presented with enough depth to not leave you wanting too much.
The section on starships is both bold in scope and very welcome!
The value for your money alone would warrant 5 stars, let alone the fantastic layout, illustration, narration and convincing world-building.
Oh, I almost forgot about the game itself, how shall I put it... it's extraordinarily good! Exciting, fun, easy to play, sufficiently original without being weird, a bold start to a cosmic saga that continues the enormous lore of Pathfinder and opens it up to stellar proportions.
My new favorite tabletop rpg!


Loving the SciFi!

5/5

Been playing RPGs since 1977. Very excited to start playing StarFinder. Great value, 1 book is all a player needs, epic artwork, sturdy construction, the list goes on. Definitely a game produced by gamers, for gamers. I bought the physical book and then, for he first time in my life, the pdf version. If you’ve never bought a pdf before, I highly recommend it, EXCEPTIONAL value.


5/5


1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
151 to 200 of 949 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

I'm kinda confused...what's the difference between Starfinder and Starjammer?

I haven't had time to read alot about either but they intrigue me.

G.C.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Starfinder is a Paizo product using rules similar to Pathfinder and a space setting.

Starjammer is a third party product using the Pathfinder rules and a (different) space setting.

There is a good chance that many materials from one will be usable with the other, but while they are similar concepts the implementations will also create some incompatible differences.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

*hums while waiting for August*

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do...
I'm half crazy... all for the love of you...


CBDunkerson wrote:

Starfinder is a Paizo product using rules similar to Pathfinder and a space setting.

Starjammer is a third party product using the Pathfinder rules and a (different) space setting.

There is a good chance that many materials from one will be usable with the other, but while they are similar concepts the implementations will also create some incompatible differences.

Ahh...thanks!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The things I am most interested in are new 0HD races, new monsters, new planets/moons, plus more info on the Golarion solar system.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I think we are looking at a maximum of two totally new races. All of the other races described in this rulebook will most likely be "Starfinder-ized" versions of existing Pathfinder races.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Does preorder include PDF? :) Please~


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Corerue wrote:
Does preorder include PDF? :) Please~

I would assume that would be a subscription perk. Note that the product pages currently say nothing about PDFs or subscriptions.

Also, note that I am just making educated guesses based on what various Paizo folks have said so far -- I have no inside sources.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber
Corerue wrote:
Does preorder include PDF? :) Please~

Provisional answer to this question can be found here.

Sara Marie wrote:

Will I get a free PDFs when preordering Starfinder books & maps?

Historically, we have only granted free PDFs with subscription copies of new releases or if there is a "bonus" product that is semi-attached to a subscription line and you have a subscription to that (ex: if you had the Adventure Path Subscription and preordered the new Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path compilation hardcover, you received the PDF for free). However, we have not announced either way for Starfinder preorders and I am not ready to commit to either direction at this time.

As more details are revealed, they should be posted in that thread as well.


I'm all excited for right now. :)


I am looking forward to this product! Will we be seeing previews soon?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

There is this blog coming up this week.


Happiness is a new blog post.


The AMAZING Cover for the Core Rulebook was revealed HERE

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Nice!


Paizo on Twitter wrote:
528-page hardcover Core Rulebook

The product description on this page says "This massive 560-page hardcover rulebook". What's up?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Garrett Guillotte wrote:
Paizo on Twitter wrote:
528-page hardcover Core Rulebook
The product description on this page says "This massive 560-page hardcover rulebook". What's up?
Chris Lambertz wrote:
Now available for preorder! Cover image and description are not final and may vary before release!

Dark Archive

For comparison:

The Pathfinder Core Rulebook has 576 pages for $49.99.


Shisumo wrote:
Garrett Guillotte wrote:
Paizo on Twitter wrote:
528-page hardcover Core Rulebook
The product description on this page says "This massive 560-page hardcover rulebook". What's up?
Chris Lambertz wrote:
Now available for preorder! Cover image and description are not final and may vary before release!

Well yeah, obviously, but seeing as how the dev team has been talking for months about struggling to cram everything they want into the book, side-announcing a 32-page cut at GAMA is interesting enough to warrant asking what's up.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

We had to solicit it before it had actually been laid out, so we were guessing to some extent. It's now final at 528. I'll update the description.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
The AMAZING Cover for the Core Rulebook was revealed HERE

I guess it's not a stretch to guess that this fellow is the iconic vesk soldier since he's also on the CRB cover.

EDIT: No, not a stretch at all.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Based on what James Sutter stated over in the Vesk thread, I'd say that what you are referring to as a "he" is actually a "she"; a female, vesk iconic.


Ashanderai wrote:
Based on what James Sutter stated over in the Vesk thread, I'd say that what you are referring to as a "he" is actually a "she"; a female, vesk iconic.

That would have been good to know on Wednesday!

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ah, the good old "default to male, especially if burly lizard".


So that makes 3 iconics confirmed, The Envoy, The Operative, and the Soldier. A Human, Android, and Vesk respectively. With two women and one agender. My guesses for the others: Female Lashunta Mystic, Male Kashata Solarion, Male Yoskoi Mechanic, and any gender (including a non male non female non neuter gender) final race Technomancer.

Silver Crusade

With 7 races and 7 classes, it seems obvious for them to give us one iconic of each race.

But given the human focus in these games, I don't expect that to actually happen. After all, there were 11 classes and 7 races in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, but the iconics were one each of dwarf, elf, halfling, and gnome, and the others all human. Half elf and half orc iconics weren't introduced until later books/classes.


I'm sure with 7 classes and 7 races they are going to do 7 iconics, one for each class and race. Why? Well, basically because they are the Core! They do need representation, specially for the alien races, and nothing fits better than at least one iconic per core race.


jedi8187 wrote:
So that makes 3 iconics confirmed, The Envoy, The Operative, and the Soldier. A Human, Android, and Vesk respectively. With two women and one agender. My guesses for the others: Female Lashunta Mystic, Male Kashata Solarion, Male Yoskoi Mechanic, and any gender (including a non male non female non neuter gender) final race Technomancer.

This sounds plausible.


Lemartes wrote:
jedi8187 wrote:
So that makes 3 iconics confirmed, The Envoy, The Operative, and the Soldier. A Human, Android, and Vesk respectively. With two women and one agender. My guesses for the others: Female Lashunta Mystic, Male Kashata Solarion, Male Yoskoi Mechanic, and any gender (including a non male non female non neuter gender) final race Technomancer.
This sounds plausible.

Look at this post here. It has a picture of 3 other iconics.

The Professor wrote:
Behold, the Bug People.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It looks like I am not the only one here who is just downright stoked about this new game. I'm buying it.


The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Lemartes wrote:
jedi8187 wrote:
So that makes 3 iconics confirmed, The Envoy, The Operative, and the Soldier. A Human, Android, and Vesk respectively. With two women and one agender. My guesses for the others: Female Lashunta Mystic, Male Kashata Solarion, Male Yoskoi Mechanic, and any gender (including a non male non female non neuter gender) final race Technomancer.
This sounds plausible.

Look at this post here. It has a picture of 3 other iconics.

The Professor wrote:
Behold, the Bug People.

2, the Vesk was already being counted. And that confirms my Yskoi Mechanic (not the gender though). And that bug could be mystic, but I think it looks more technomancer.


Well, the ratfolk was already confirmed as the mechanic after the Vesk showed up as the Soldier. The Kasatha as the solarion is the most likely outcome, not only for the look of his armor, but also for the "energy" he is producing.

The only ones we aren't so sure about are the new unnamed race and the lashunta. Hupe this new one is a male technomancer, and that the Lashunta is indeed the female mystic.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Garrett Guillotte wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Based on what James Sutter stated over in the Vesk thread, I'd say that what you are referring to as a "he" is actually a "she"; a female, vesk iconic.
That would have been good to know on Wednesday!

Yeah, well, he didn't make that post until yesterday; so, don't take it out on me. Also, don't yell at me; it's not nice and it hurts my feewings. :P

Regarding the iconics, I think I have found more evidence that probably means most of you were wrong about your pics for race to class combinations. Based on the photos of the Gama Show presentations found here and here from this gallery. (By the way, take a look at that gallery, because you can see a lot of other cool art there for Starfinder, including what the ships will look like and what factions they belong to (Vesk, Eox, Pact Worlds, etc.). Anyway, these slides clearly state they are the "Iconic Heroes". So, we have:

Female, Human Envoy
I-don't-know-gender, Kasatha Solarion - based on energy blade being manifested in the slide's image.
Female, Lashunta Technomancer - I believe that class because it looks like she is typing on an arm-pad keyboard - like that in the show, Chuck - and the holographic display on that same arm.
Genderless, Android Operative
I-don't-know-gender, Shirren Mystic - I believe it is a Shirren because the name was previously discovered by someone elsewhere on the website and posted about previously and there is still one race not officially announced. I believe Mystic because of the staff he is carrying and he has less obviously technological gear than the Lashunta iconic, which makes me question why he would be a technomancer over the lashunta.
Female, Vesk Soldier - based on this page and what James Sutter stated yesterday about females having brighter colors.
I-don't-know-gender, Ysoki Mechanic - based on being an obvious ratfolk-type and the flying, robot companion that we already know is not a part of the soldier's picture from the link above.

So, all that is left is to figure out their genders, unless there is disagreement with my assessment thus far based on the evidence here.

Dark Archive

Ashanderai wrote:
Garrett Guillotte wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Based on what James Sutter stated over in the Vesk thread, I'd say that what you are referring to as a "he" is actually a "she"; a female, vesk iconic.
That would have been good to know on Wednesday!

Yeah, well, he didn't make that post until yesterday; so, don't take it out on me. Also, don't yell at me; it's not nice and it hurts my feewings. :P

Regarding the iconics, I think I have found more evidence that probably means most of you were wrong about your pics for race to class combinations. Based on the photos of the Gama Show presentations found here and here from this gallery. (By the way, take a look at that gallery, because you can see a lot of other cool art there for Starfinder, including what the ships will look like and what factions they belong to (Vesk, Eox, Pact Worlds, etc.). Anyway, these slides clearly state they are the "Iconic Heroes". So, we have:

Female, Human Envoy
I-don't-know-gender, Kasatha Solarion - based on energy blade being manifested in the slide's image.
Female, Lashunta Technomancer - I believe that class because it looks like she is typing on an arm-pad keyboard - like that in the show, Chuck - and the holographic display on that same arm.
Genderless, Android Operative
I-don't-know-gender, Shirren Mystic - I believe it is a Shirren because the name was previously discovered by someone elsewhere on the website and posted about previously and there is still one race not officially announced. I believe Mystic because of the staff he is carrying and he has less...

Doesn't one of those slides feature shirren ships and mugshot that confirms they are the bug race iconic?


I think he did mention the "Shirren Mystic" and yes they are the insect like class.

Now we have to know If they are also the Swarm (love this name). I do believe they are, as in a previous blog post in which they showed a starship combate, the enemy starships were the ones revealed now to be from the Shirren.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
Doesn't one of those slides feature shirren ships and mugshot that confirms they are the bug race iconic?

Yes; I believe you are referring to this slide. However, the slide that confirms the "bug race iconic", as you put it, is this one. The slide with the ships confirms that the name of that bug race is "Shirren", though.

Dark Archive

Ashanderai wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
Doesn't one of those slides feature shirren ships and mugshot that confirms they are the bug race iconic?
Yes; I believe you are referring to this slide. However, the slide that confirms the "bug race iconic", as you put it, is this one. The slide with the ships confirms that the name of that bug race is "Shirren", though.

Uh, thats what I said(or at least meant), that the slide with shirren ships and mugshots confirms name of race of the bug iconic so I dunno why you are speculating that its shirren in the above post .-.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CorvusMask wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
CorvusMask wrote:
Doesn't one of those slides feature shirren ships and mugshot that confirms they are the bug race iconic?
Yes; I believe you are referring to this slide. However, the slide that confirms the "bug race iconic", as you put it, is this one. The slide with the ships confirms that the name of that bug race is "Shirren", though.
Uh, thats what I said(or at least meant), that the slide with shirren ships and mugshots confirms name of race of the bug iconic so I dunno why you are speculating that its shirren in the above post .-.

Because I saw those slides late at night and didn't really notice the slide you are making reference to until later.

Liberty's Edge

Where ia the lashunta iconic?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It was in the first link I posted three of my posts up, where I stated, "... GAMA Show presentations here and...".

Liberty's Edge

Ashanderai wrote:
It was in the first link I posted three of my posts up, where I stated, "... GAMA Show presentations here and...".

Ohh, thanks. Don't know how I missed that one.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That cover... waiting until August will be difficult.

Scarab Sages Developer, Starfinder Team

7 people marked this as a favorite.
John Roberts 909 wrote:
That cover... waiting until August will be difficult.

For us too.

I want to HOLD this book!

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
John Roberts 909 wrote:
That cover... waiting until August will be difficult.

For us too.

I want to HOLD this book!

Starfinder

Aethera http://www.aetherarpg.com/

and Interface Zero https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/821979583/interface-zero-20-cyberpunk- action-for-the-pathfin

There's a lot of goodness coming down the pipe for Pathfinder.


Am I the only one hoping they'll eventually introduce an eighth core class called the Necromonger? ;) :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Berselius wrote:
Am I the only one hoping they'll eventually introduce an eighth core class called the Necromonger? ;) :D

Yes; yes, you are.

:P

Personally, I am hoping for more core classes like:

Scientist (with specialties like Xenobiology for Doctors, Xenopsychology, Astrophysics, and Archaeology) with abilities focusing how they apply their scientific knowledge (Practitioner, Professor, and Researcher)

Pilot (with specialties like Hotshot for fighter pilots, Helmsman for bigger ships, Driver for ground vehicles, and a mecha pilot)

Aristocrat (Bureaucrat, Diplomat, Executive, Noble, Officer, Priest)

Explorer/Pioneer/Spacer (types could include Colonist, Drifter, amd Scout with Frontier Focused abilities oriented by the resources they make their living exploiting like Farmer, Hunter, and Miner)

Hacker (though this one might not be necessary depending on how the Mechanic and/or Technomancer turned out)

Silver Crusade

I'm thinking your scientist and aristocrat class could turn out to be NPC classes.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

My guesses:

Scientist = science officer role in starship combat

Pilot = pilot role in starship combat

Aristocrat = Envoy core class

Hacker = maxed out Computer skill

No idea about Explorer/Pioneer/Spacer. Maybe an Operative specialization?


I see no way to play this game with out monsters. how will monsters be added with out waiting a WHOLE month for them to come out??? are they in the core book? if not im not buying them till both come out and only if the monsters dont suck, other wise I dont think I will buy this from the site, maybe some other cheap download for a dollar because the game is getting released with out monsters.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
KrashKourse wrote:
I see no way to play this game with out monsters. how will monsters be added with out waiting a WHOLE month for them to come out???

It's specifically compatible with Pathfinder's bestaries so that there are tonnes of monster products already made that are ready to use in Starfinder.

Also.... a month isn't exactly a long time for the first supplement...

151 to 200 of 949 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Core Rulebook All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.