Starfinder Core Rulebook

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)
Starfinder Core Rulebook

Add Hardcover $59.99 $44.99

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Shoot for the Stars

Blast off into a galaxy of adventure with the Starfinder Roleplaying Game! Step into your powered armor and grab your magic-infused laser rifle as you investigate the mysteries of a weird universe with your bold starship crew. Will you delve for lost artifacts in the ruins of alien temples? Strap on rune-enhanced armor and a laser rifle to battle undead empires in fleets of bone ships, or defend colonists from a swarm of ravenous monsters? Maybe you'll hack into the mainframe of a god-run corporation, or search the stars for clues to the secret history of the universe or brand new planets to explore. Whether you're making first contact with new cultures on uncharted worlds or fighting to survive in the neon-lit back alleys of Absalom Station, you and your team will need all your wits, combat skill, and magic to make it through. But most of all, you'll need each other.

This massive 528-page hardcover rulebook is the essential centerpiece of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, with rules for character creation, magic, gear, and more—everything you need to play Starfinder as either a player or Game Master! The next great adventure in science-fantasy roleplaying takes off here, and the Starfinder Core Rulebook is your ticket to a lifetime of adventure amid the stars!

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • All of the rules you need to play or run a game of Starfinder.
  • Seven character classes, from the elite soldier and stealthy operative to the physics-hacking technomancer and mind-bending mystic.
  • Character races both new and classic, from androids, insectile shirrens, ratlike ysoki, and reptilian vesk to the dwarves and elves of the distant future.
  • An in-depth exploration of the Starfinder setting, including its planets, gods, factions, and threats.
  • Hundreds of weapons, spells, technological gadgets, magic items, and other options to outfit any character.
  • Complete rules for starships, including customization and starship combat.
  • Rules and tips on using Pathfinder RPG content with Starfinder.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-956-1

Downloads

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7101


See Also:

1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Fantasy in Space

5/5

My title says it all: "Fantasy in Space".

I've been playing this set of rules for 2 years now and I will state that it is fantastic!

Be warned that this fantasy setting has both magic and technology. It builds completely on the fantasy genre and adds technology to the mix.

For those looking for hard science-fiction, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. It's hard to run that type of campaign with this ruleset without having to make a ton of changes.

This is currently my favorite futuristic game and I highly recommend it!


Tells this type of story best.

5/5

Starfinder's system tells science fantasy well, in that it's mechanics are techie and detailed, more so than more narrative rulesets. It feels designed for the genre, and makes tech stuff and starships mesh with magic and spells so they feel like they fit rather than feeling like part of the game was bolted on.

A well designed system for an underserved sci-fan market.


Absolutely love it.

5/5

It's the real deal, this book fulfills the definition of "core" to perfection.
First the only couple of "bad" things: 1) the monsters are missing, and that is surely due to the fact that it's already a huge book, so it's understandable. Besides, you can download "First Contact" for free and use those to start you off, or you can adapt Pathfinder monsters very easily with the guidelines provided in this book.
2) A few corrections were done to the part about starship combat, for which you will have to look-up the errata page online and mark down the modifications (mostly to DCs of actions in space). But to be honest, that doesn't bother me.
Apart from that, this book does a fantastic job explaining the game and quickly teaching you how to play it with lots of examples and pre-made combinations of choices for characters to guide you, should you need it. They managed to cram so much in this book that it's in itself a notable feat, but more than that, every topic is presented with enough depth to not leave you wanting too much.
The section on starships is both bold in scope and very welcome!
The value for your money alone would warrant 5 stars, let alone the fantastic layout, illustration, narration and convincing world-building.
Oh, I almost forgot about the game itself, how shall I put it... it's extraordinarily good! Exciting, fun, easy to play, sufficiently original without being weird, a bold start to a cosmic saga that continues the enormous lore of Pathfinder and opens it up to stellar proportions.
My new favorite tabletop rpg!


Loving the SciFi!

5/5

Been playing RPGs since 1977. Very excited to start playing StarFinder. Great value, 1 book is all a player needs, epic artwork, sturdy construction, the list goes on. Definitely a game produced by gamers, for gamers. I bought the physical book and then, for he first time in my life, the pdf version. If you’ve never bought a pdf before, I highly recommend it, EXCEPTIONAL value.


5/5


1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
651 to 700 of 949 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

*so much waiting*


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

3/4 of my items have shipped.

Halleluiah!


Still....Waiting...sigh.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

What I've read of the book looks nice thus far (though I haven't digged into the spaceship stuff at all yet...), but I'm curious:
Are there plans to release Lite versions of the (hardcover) PDFs? The PDF of the SFCRB is at ~140MB, compared to the ~40MB Pathfinder Core.
Since I use my tablet (with limited storage) a lot for tabletop RPG stuff, smaller PDFs are always good...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ten more days. ^^

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
magnuskn wrote:
Ten more days. ^^

Dammit magnuskn, row faster! We're in this boat together!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Order... still... pending... whatever will I do to pass the time...

Goes off to make twenty more aliases.


Got a shipping notice for the core rulebook, but not for the screen or the alien folio. Everyone else seeing the same?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Kryzbyn wrote:
Got a shipping notice for the core rulebook, but not for the screen or the alien folio. Everyone else seeing the same?

I bundled the adventure path & core rulebook as subscriptions. That order has shipped.

I ordered both the GM screen & Pawns in separate shipments. The GM screen was the first shipment notice. The pawns have not shipped yet.

I am not sure if you mean "Alien Archive" or something different? The Alien Archive doesn't ship until October.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

Ladis wrote:

I just got my shipping notification, granting me access to the PDFs. Yeah!

The email says my package will be shipped the 17th, so I guess the order has ben packaged and finalised to be sent, but it won't be on its way until the 17th. In the mean time I have the PDFs to read :-)

Hello Ladis,

The email should say that the order will ship by the 18th, not on the 18th. So it may be arriving earlier than you are expecting!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Squeal, boing boing boing boing boing. I got my shipping notifications this afternoon!!!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Dansome wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Got a shipping notice for the core rulebook, but not for the screen or the alien folio. Everyone else seeing the same?

I bundled the adventure path & core rulebook as subscriptions. That order has shipped.

I ordered both the GM screen & Pawns in separate shipments. The GM screen was the first shipment notice. The pawns have not shipped yet.

I am not sure if you mean "Alien Archive" or something different? The Alien Archive doesn't ship until October.

Oddly enough I bundled my core rule book and adventure path as subscriptions and ordered a Limited edition core rule book. The Basic core rule book shipped today and the Limited edition ended up bundled with my Adventure path subscription and is still pending.

Hoping to see that ship soon. My guess is there trying to get core rule books out fast so everyone has a PDF?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vexies wrote:
Dansome wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Got a shipping notice for the core rulebook, but not for the screen or the alien folio. Everyone else seeing the same?

I bundled the adventure path & core rulebook as subscriptions. That order has shipped.

I ordered both the GM screen & Pawns in separate shipments. The GM screen was the first shipment notice. The pawns have not shipped yet.

I am not sure if you mean "Alien Archive" or something different? The Alien Archive doesn't ship until October.

Oddly enough I bundled my core rule book and adventure path as subscriptions and ordered a Limited edition core rule book. The Basic core rule book shipped today and the Limited edition ended up bundled with my Adventure path subscription and is still pending.

Hoping to see that ship soon. My guess is there trying to get core rule books out fast so everyone has a PDF?

I did the same; preordered and subscribed to everything Starfinder, including the limited edition. Today I got the notification that my flipmat has shipped, but nothing else so far. How about that? Two core books and neither one is in my first small package, but the second package is going to be huge, apparently... whenever it ships.

So, the only PDF I can look at now is the flipmat.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Still waiting..... F5 F5 F5....


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I presume the free download of the character sheet won't be available until the 17th? Or am I missing it somewhere?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Ashanderai wrote:
Vexies wrote:
Dansome wrote:
Kryzbyn wrote:
Got a shipping notice for the core rulebook, but not for the screen or the alien folio. Everyone else seeing the same?

I bundled the adventure path & core rulebook as subscriptions. That order has shipped.

I ordered both the GM screen & Pawns in separate shipments. The GM screen was the first shipment notice. The pawns have not shipped yet.

I am not sure if you mean "Alien Archive" or something different? The Alien Archive doesn't ship until October.

Oddly enough I bundled my core rule book and adventure path as subscriptions and ordered a Limited edition core rule book. The Basic core rule book shipped today and the Limited edition ended up bundled with my Adventure path subscription and is still pending.

Hoping to see that ship soon. My guess is there trying to get core rule books out fast so everyone has a PDF?

I did the same; preordered and subscribed to everything Starfinder, including the limited edition. Today I got the notification that my flipmat has shipped, but nothing else so far. How about that? Two core books and neither one is in my first small package, but the second package is going to be huge, apparently... whenever it ships.

So, the only PDF I can look at now is the flipmat.

Flipmats can be weird in multi-shipment packages because they don't qualify for any of the discounted 'book rate' shipping services. It can be counter-intuitive sometimes, but be assured that the weirdness really is saving you money.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Ten more days. ^^
Dammit magnuskn, row faster! We're in this boat together!

We are Gendry.


if I order now how soon will it get hear?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They're right in the middle of one of their busiest months of the year. It's likely it would take a couple of weeks to ship and then some time to transit (if you subscribe, you'll at least get the PDF while it is shipping to you).

Having said that - Paizo's shipping algorithm is arcane and temperamental, so it's possible it would ship out in the next couple of days. Unlikely though.

If you do go ahead (especially if you subscribe) I'd start a thread in the customer service forum once you've placed it. You wouldn't need to do that every time, but since the subscription order spawning happened last week, so your order might be stuck in limbo. That can be annoying. :/


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Ten more days. ^^
Dammit magnuskn, row faster! We're in this boat together!
We are Gendry.

That's Edric ya heathen!

Dark Archive

Maybe tomorrow? Waits (mostly) patiently...


Another Day...Another Empty Mailbox of Shipping Notices...sigh :(

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Mimski wrote:

...

Are there plans to release Lite versions of the (hardcover) PDFs? The PDF of the SFCRB is at ~140MB, compared to the ~40MB Pathfinder Core.
Since I use my tablet (with limited storage) a lot for tabletop RPG stuff, smaller PDFs are always good...

I second that question.

Also: the one file per chapter download is twice as big as the single file? What's up with that?


7 people marked this as a favorite.

*wakes up*

It shipped!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Franz Lunzer wrote:
Mimski wrote:

...

Are there plans to release Lite versions of the (hardcover) PDFs? The PDF of the SFCRB is at ~140MB, compared to the ~40MB Pathfinder Core.
Since I use my tablet (with limited storage) a lot for tabletop RPG stuff, smaller PDFs are always good...

I second that question.

Also: the one file per chapter download is twice as big as the single file? What's up with that?

I believe they've said because of the layout of this book it doesn't get much benefit from the liteing process (which is not about size as much as it is about speed).

In relation to the bigger one file per version, this is normal, if somewhat extreme - art assets used on each/many pages are stored once per file. In the single version, you therefore have just 1 of them, in the file per chapter there are 14...

Liberty's Edge

Diego Valdez wrote:
Ladis wrote:

I just got my shipping notification, granting me access to the PDFs. Yeah!

The email says my package will be shipped the 17th, so I guess the order has ben packaged and finalised to be sent, but it won't be on its way until the 17th. In the mean time I have the PDFs to read :-)

Hello Ladis,

The email should say that the order will ship by the 18th, not on the 18th. So it may be arriving earlier than you are expecting!

Ups, you are right, I missed that "by".


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think my favourite piece of art is on p. 275

Iseph about to f~!+ somebody up.


C'mon Paizo. I might have to miss work tonight anyways. It would be sooooo nice to have some reading material for that loooong night.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Everything except my Core Rulebook shipped ;_;

At least I can read over the AP volume.

Community & Digital Content Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Franz Lunzer wrote:
Mimski wrote:

...

Are there plans to release Lite versions of the (hardcover) PDFs? The PDF of the SFCRB is at ~140MB, compared to the ~40MB Pathfinder Core.
Since I use my tablet (with limited storage) a lot for tabletop RPG stuff, smaller PDFs are always good...

I second that question.

Also: the one file per chapter download is twice as big as the single file? What's up with that?

I believe they've said because of the layout of this book it doesn't get much benefit from the liteing process (which is not about size as much as it is about speed).

In relation to the bigger one file per version, this is normal, if somewhat extreme - art assets used on each/many pages are stored once per file. In the single version, you therefore have just 1 of them, in the file per chapter there are 14...

This is the right of it. Our "Lite" PDFs exist to improve performance, not to make the files smaller.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I have to say, loving the layout/formatting of this book so far! It's so much easier to read than the original Pathfinder core book. There are so many little QOL changes! For example, the bonus spells table is in the class section instead of a separate chapter. No more flipping between chapters to try and find the right table!! Things like this are huge to me, because I am lazy ;) . I haven't made it past the class section yet, so I'm not very far into the book. I like how each class has theme/build suggestions. That's great for newbies, or when I'm in a hurry to play so I don't have time to read 100 feat or spell entries...

Surprisingly, mechanic is my favorite class so far! I can't wait to play a Shirren or a Vesk character, this book has got my imagination in overdrive. Thanks Paizo!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Perhaps, if I offer the warehouse some of Skeld's super delicious cookies, things will get moving.

Or, if someone wants to ring the front doorbell I can grab a pie from the windowsill while he isn't looking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The warehouse minions and/or raptors have been raised and trained on Lilith's super delicious cookies, so they are likely quite discerning in their cookie preferences. Hopefully Skeld's cookies are at least masterwork, or I'd be worried by losing a limb or two.

Pie could work though, especially if there's some booze in it.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This book is so so much easier than the Pathfinder Core Rulebook to read.

Edit: Weren't Lashunta Sexually Dimorphic Pre-Gap? What changed?

Double-Edit: When Will Starfinder be getting its own Direct Link on the Sidebar and when will we see PDF character sheets we can use?


Stratagemini wrote:
Weren't Lashunta Sexually Dimorphic Pre-Gap? What changed?

It turns out, we only thought they were.

Easy mistake to make, given how we didn't know all the information. Cause it was changed. Retconned. Not everybody is a fan of the change, but I think most people either are, or don't care.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Lanitril wrote:

It turns out, we only thought they were.

Easy mistake to make, given how we didn't know all the information. Cause it was changed. Retconned. Not everybody is a fan of the change, but I think most people either are, or don't care.

Thank you. I'm not sure how I feel about the change from a lore perspective, but it makes sense, and opens more player options. I still think there should be a sexually dimorphic alien race because Sexual dimorphism is awesome in animals in real life (Lion Manes, male anglerfish, the beautiful tails of male peafowl...)

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It does mention some flavor dimorphism in the Vesk. Females are larger and have brighter colorings than males. I'm not sure about how I feel about sexual dimorphism being codified in actual abilities/rules, but perhaps when alien archives drops we'll get some races like that. If it's not just women=pretty men=Meatheads I'd be more interested.

Sovereign Court

Either way, it shouldn't stop you from making homebrews that revolve around dimorphism (indeed, you could create a group of vesk where the opposite is true, for example). I know that is something that I'm going to implement in my games.


Stratagemini wrote:
Lanitril wrote:

It turns out, we only thought they were.

Easy mistake to make, given how we didn't know all the information. Cause it was changed. Retconned. Not everybody is a fan of the change, but I think most people either are, or don't care.

Thank you. I'm not sure how I feel about the change from a lore perspective, but it makes sense, and opens more player options. I still think there should be a sexually dimorphic alien race because Sexual dimorphism is awesome in animals in real life (Lion Manes, male anglerfish, the beautiful tails of male peafowl...)

It's pretty awesome in real world humans, too.


Dread Piewright Jacques Pepin wrote:

The warehouse minions and/or raptors have been raised and trained on Lilith's super delicious cookies, so they are likely quite discerning in their cookie preferences. Hopefully Skeld's cookies are at least masterwork, or I'd be worried by losing a limb or two.

Pie could work though, especially if there's some booze in it.

Perhaps they would like first pick of the ravenous man eating pumpkins* to crawl forth from my garden.

*Our pumpkin plants have tasted human blood on three separate (known) occasions.


Cap'n Yesterday, Vegetable King wrote:
*Our pumpkin plants have tasted human blood on three separate (known) occasions.

On an unrelated note, which law enforcement agency would you guess has primary jurisdiction where you live?

And on topic, I love what was done with the skills. The consolidation of some and the rebranding of others works so well, I'm going to try and convince my PF players to adopt them... then I'll try to get them to adopt the classes... then the races... then the streamlined combat... then I'll take them off world. They'll be playing Starfinder and not even know it!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

They're sharp and have surrounded the tomatoes, so they've scrapped myself, and my wife, no actual harm done. :-)

Dark Archive

I'm at work and can't look at my PDF so quick question. Are there any monsters in the main book or do we need to wait for alien anthology in October, not counting first contact and the adventure path

Dark Archive

Still waiting...


There's a statblock for a CR20 Space Goblin Monark on pg 421... but that's it.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alanya wrote:
Still waiting...

Same.


I see you found the most Bruce Campbell-ish avatar to use. I salute you.

I've been giving the Starfinder CRB a second read through, and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to start a "Things Pathfinder players should know about Starfinder" thread.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
kadance wrote:
I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to start a "Things Pathfinder players should know about Starfinder" thread.

Almost certainly.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
magnuskn wrote:
Ten more days. ^^
Dammit magnuskn, row faster! We're in this boat together!
We are Gendry.

That... might actually work out better than you think.


zergtitan wrote:
Alanya wrote:
Still waiting...
Same.

Same...:(

651 to 700 of 949 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Core Rulebook All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.