Starfinder Core Rulebook

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)
Starfinder Core Rulebook

Add Hardcover $59.99 $44.99

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Shoot for the Stars

Blast off into a galaxy of adventure with the Starfinder Roleplaying Game! Step into your powered armor and grab your magic-infused laser rifle as you investigate the mysteries of a weird universe with your bold starship crew. Will you delve for lost artifacts in the ruins of alien temples? Strap on rune-enhanced armor and a laser rifle to battle undead empires in fleets of bone ships, or defend colonists from a swarm of ravenous monsters? Maybe you'll hack into the mainframe of a god-run corporation, or search the stars for clues to the secret history of the universe or brand new planets to explore. Whether you're making first contact with new cultures on uncharted worlds or fighting to survive in the neon-lit back alleys of Absalom Station, you and your team will need all your wits, combat skill, and magic to make it through. But most of all, you'll need each other.

This massive 528-page hardcover rulebook is the essential centerpiece of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, with rules for character creation, magic, gear, and more—everything you need to play Starfinder as either a player or Game Master! The next great adventure in science-fantasy roleplaying takes off here, and the Starfinder Core Rulebook is your ticket to a lifetime of adventure amid the stars!

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • All of the rules you need to play or run a game of Starfinder.
  • Seven character classes, from the elite soldier and stealthy operative to the physics-hacking technomancer and mind-bending mystic.
  • Character races both new and classic, from androids, insectile shirrens, ratlike ysoki, and reptilian vesk to the dwarves and elves of the distant future.
  • An in-depth exploration of the Starfinder setting, including its planets, gods, factions, and threats.
  • Hundreds of weapons, spells, technological gadgets, magic items, and other options to outfit any character.
  • Complete rules for starships, including customization and starship combat.
  • Rules and tips on using Pathfinder RPG content with Starfinder.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-956-1

Downloads

Note: This product is part of the Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO7101


See Also:

1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 32 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Fantasy in Space

5/5

My title says it all: "Fantasy in Space".

I've been playing this set of rules for 2 years now and I will state that it is fantastic!

Be warned that this fantasy setting has both magic and technology. It builds completely on the fantasy genre and adds technology to the mix.

For those looking for hard science-fiction, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. It's hard to run that type of campaign with this ruleset without having to make a ton of changes.

This is currently my favorite futuristic game and I highly recommend it!


Tells this type of story best.

5/5

Starfinder's system tells science fantasy well, in that it's mechanics are techie and detailed, more so than more narrative rulesets. It feels designed for the genre, and makes tech stuff and starships mesh with magic and spells so they feel like they fit rather than feeling like part of the game was bolted on.

A well designed system for an underserved sci-fan market.


Absolutely love it.

5/5

It's the real deal, this book fulfills the definition of "core" to perfection.
First the only couple of "bad" things: 1) the monsters are missing, and that is surely due to the fact that it's already a huge book, so it's understandable. Besides, you can download "First Contact" for free and use those to start you off, or you can adapt Pathfinder monsters very easily with the guidelines provided in this book.
2) A few corrections were done to the part about starship combat, for which you will have to look-up the errata page online and mark down the modifications (mostly to DCs of actions in space). But to be honest, that doesn't bother me.
Apart from that, this book does a fantastic job explaining the game and quickly teaching you how to play it with lots of examples and pre-made combinations of choices for characters to guide you, should you need it. They managed to cram so much in this book that it's in itself a notable feat, but more than that, every topic is presented with enough depth to not leave you wanting too much.
The section on starships is both bold in scope and very welcome!
The value for your money alone would warrant 5 stars, let alone the fantastic layout, illustration, narration and convincing world-building.
Oh, I almost forgot about the game itself, how shall I put it... it's extraordinarily good! Exciting, fun, easy to play, sufficiently original without being weird, a bold start to a cosmic saga that continues the enormous lore of Pathfinder and opens it up to stellar proportions.
My new favorite tabletop rpg!


Loving the SciFi!

5/5

Been playing RPGs since 1977. Very excited to start playing StarFinder. Great value, 1 book is all a player needs, epic artwork, sturdy construction, the list goes on. Definitely a game produced by gamers, for gamers. I bought the physical book and then, for he first time in my life, the pdf version. If you’ve never bought a pdf before, I highly recommend it, EXCEPTIONAL value.


5/5


1 to 5 of 33 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
451 to 500 of 949 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Kretzer wrote:
What kind of coverage to other races such as Elves and Dwarves etc.(the old standard races) get?

Core races get a page with racial traits and a large picture, and another page of text. Legacy races get one page containing text, racial traits, and a smaller picture.


Some info on what Phrenic adept? Archetype does versus the
2 (IIRC) psychic feats...


Yrtalien wrote:

Some info on what Phrenic adept? Archetype does versus the

2 (IIRC) psychic feats...

The archetype is separate from, and complementary with, the three psychic power feats. I'm not sure how to explain the archetype without going into more detail than I'd like, except as "it gives a variety of psychic abilities".


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's after midnight for me here, so I'll be stopping for now.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Distant Scholar wrote:
It's after midnight for me here, so I'll be stopping for now.

Just woke up here, and have read your teasers, thanks very much.

Liberty's Edge

6 people marked this as a favorite.

So, I started playing with 3.5, I was 11 and taught myself English to understand the players handbook. When PF came, I knew what to wait for, there was a lot of playtest. But this? This is beautiful. This is new. The excitement, the curiosity. Thank you Paizo. Just thank you.


Alfray Stryke wrote:
Distant Scholar wrote:
It's after midnight for me here, so I'll be stopping for now.
Just woke up here, and have read your teasers, thanks very much.

Same here! I'm really hoping I get my shipment tomorrow :D


Steel_Wind wrote:


When you live in the United States and you participate in an English language message board, you can forget that many other participants don't live in your country.

And not living outside of the USA, they have no idea of just how high international shipping costs are, particularly overseas. It's just not something they have to deal with, so they don't think about it.

yay, sorta like doubles the tag, aaaaall the way to here in italy...


Distant Scholar wrote:
Yrtalien wrote:

Some info on what Phrenic adept? Archetype does versus the

2 (IIRC) psychic feats...

The archetype is separate from, and complementary with, the three psychic power feats. I'm not sure how to explain the archetype without going into more detail than I'd like, except as "it gives a variety of psychic abilities".

Scholar,

Thanks for the info. You said just enough to let me know one of the first places I will be opening the book to. TY for whetting our appetite. Have a good night.

Liberty's Edge

Now that shippings has started my F5 key is going to be on fire XD


Ladis wrote:
Now that shippings has started my F5 key is going to be on fire XD

IIRC they don't open until 10:00am PDT :( Another 7 hours until shipping resumes.

Liberty's Edge

Sadistic GM wrote:
Ladis wrote:
Now that shippings has started my F5 key is going to be on fire XD
IIRC they don't open until 10:00am PDT :( Another 7 hours until shipping resumes.

Yep, looks like F5 will have some rest until 19:00 Spanish hour. At least the idea of playing the AP#1 next week with my friends while in vacations seems feasible.


GRuzom wrote:


Plus, the PDF is still a ridiculously low price.

You're right - that IS cheap! hadn't noticed...

ahem, he he ...Just ordered the Corebook from my faviourite shop, Fantask in Copenhagen, can't wait to go and pick it up!


Ladis wrote:
Sadistic GM wrote:
Ladis wrote:
Now that shippings has started my F5 key is going to be on fire XD
IIRC they don't open until 10:00am PDT :( Another 7 hours until shipping resumes.
Yep, looks like F5 will have some rest until 19:00 Spanish hour. At least the idea of playing the AP#1 next week with my friends while in vacations seems feasible.

On one hand: I live in Alaska, so they are only an hour ahead. On the other hand, I work the night shift, so I'm normally asleep when they open and wake up right when they close.

Hopefully, it'll be there right when I wake up!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Walking Skeld's dog.

Hmmm, looks like I picked the wrong house to camp in front of.

Damn! It's like waiting all night in front of Circuit City for the NES Classic all over again!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm awake, I think.

I wonder if I can make a character specializing in hurl forcedisk?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Could you use spoiler tags. Some of us like to check if ours has shipped and don't want to read a million spoilers.

Thanks! I know it's annoying but mystery is very important. :-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Um, not seeing how these are spoilers.

Fair enough. But I will point out that the "in your downloads" notification is at the very top of the page away from the comments.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Um, not seeing how these are spoilers.

It is for some of us. :-)


I saw, I edited.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

If you don't want to be courteous to others that's up to you, but I would greatly appreciate it. :-)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:

Um, not seeing how these are spoilers.

Fair enough. But I will point out that the "in your downloads" notification is at the very top of the page away from the comments.

I know but then I gotta enter in my email address and password, whereas here I just gotta click on it as it scrolls by, which is so much easier on my phone. :-)

I normally wouldn't mind or say anything but I really want to capture the nostalgia of opening up a brand new RPG. :-)


captain yesterday wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:

Um, not seeing how these are spoilers.

Fair enough. But I will point out that the "in your downloads" notification is at the very top of the page away from the comments.

I know but then I gotta enter in my email address and password, whereas here I just gotta click on it as it scrolls by, which is so much easier on my phone. :-)

Hmm? How are you managing that?

I always have to enter my info when I try to download something no matter if I click my downloads or the downloads tab on the product page.

captain yesterday wrote:
I normally wouldn't mind or say anything but I really want to capture the nostalgia of opening up a brand new RPG. :-)

*nods*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

Could you use spoiler tags. Some of us like to check if ours has shipped and don't want to read a million spoilers.

Thanks! I know it's annoying but mystery is very important. :-)

Can I?

Spoiler:
I'll try to remember.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I meant to see if it was in my downloads, I see what you mean, I always checked for the notice directly under the price.

I was just a bit overwhelmed and annoyed by all the reveals so far I guess. :-)

Edit: either way, it's easier to click on whoever posted last and scroll up. :-)


Ah, gotcha.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm sure most people will try to comply with your request Captain, but in the next few days this space will probably be dominated with new info. Although people will try to be vague to honor the requests of Devs like Owen... it's also the norm of this board to do all this. Just fair warning if you want to go into this without having glimpsed hints or reveals... hanging around here that might be difficult.

I do hope opening that new book is all you want it to be... for me these hints help build my anticipation. I am that guy that shakes the Christmas presents : ) To each their own. God, I really want to get this book!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Um he Barnes & Noble in my area already has the book on the shelves! I am not kidding, I am reading the hard copy right now! Still going to wait for my copy to ship, but I'm going to spend some time reading this one here for now.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
zergtitan wrote:
Um he Barnes & Noble in my area already has the book on the shelves! I am not kidding, I am reading the hard copy right now! Still going to wait for my copy to ship, but I'm going to spend some time reading this one here for now.

Uh then that's breaking the street date which is hella illegal (for them, not you). I would contact Paizo about that.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Rysky wrote:
zergtitan wrote:
Um he Barnes & Noble in my area already has the book on the shelves! I am not kidding, I am reading the hard copy right now! Still going to wait for my copy to ship, but I'm going to spend some time reading this one here for now.
Uh then that's breaking the street date which is hella illegal (for them, not you). I would contact Paizo about that.

I would contact the manager of the store first, they might not realize the stocking crew f@@!ed up. :-)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Yrtalien wrote:

I'm sure most people will try to comply with your request Captain, but in the next few days this space will probably be dominated with new info. Although people will try to be vague to honor the requests of Devs like Owen... it's also the norm of this board to do all this. Just fair warning if you want to go into this without having glimpsed hints or reveals... hanging around here that might be difficult.

I do hope opening that new book is all you want it to be... for me these hints help build my anticipation. I am that guy that shakes the Christmas presents : ) To each their own. God, I really want to get this book!

As soon as I get my shipping notice (which I'll announce) go nuts, I'll have no other reason to stop by. :-)

Personally, I'm not even opening the pdf until I get the book or my birthday whichever comes first. :-)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Given the discussion of the artwork of the iconic Raia, I am tempted to ask whether Lashunta are in any way penalized for covering their navels (or rewarded for exposing them, as the case may be). ;)


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Talked to the manager and they checked and immediately removed the book from the shelves.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
zergtitan wrote:
Um he Barnes & Noble in my area already has the book on the shelves! I am not kidding, I am reading the hard copy right now! Still going to wait for my copy to ship, but I'm going to spend some time reading this one here for now.
Uh then that's breaking the street date which is hella illegal (for them, not you). I would contact Paizo about that.

Breaking a contract isn't "illegal" (there's no law forbidding you to break a contract, and you can't be fined or punished for it), it's just a breach of contract, for which there may be remedies you can get in court.

I mean, it might be a better world if poorly trained or misinformed clerks at B&N could face a year in prison or a $5,000 fine for breaking a street date, but I personally don't think so.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Plausible Pseudonym wrote:
Rysky wrote:
zergtitan wrote:
Um he Barnes & Noble in my area already has the book on the shelves! I am not kidding, I am reading the hard copy right now! Still going to wait for my copy to ship, but I'm going to spend some time reading this one here for now.
Uh then that's breaking the street date which is hella illegal (for them, not you). I would contact Paizo about that.

Breaking a contract isn't "illegal" (there's no law forbidding you to break a contract, and you can't be fined or punished for it), it's just a breach of contract, for which there may be remedies you can get in court.

I mean, it might be a better world if poorly trained or misinformed clerks at B&N could face a year in prison or a $5,000 fine for breaking a street date, but I personally don't think so.

I'm pretty sure there is a very hefty fine per copy sold involved.

Also they could also get blacklisted from receiving advance copies.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Sometimes it isn't a fine.

At the toy store where I work if we f@** up and accidentally put a toy out ahead of the official release they'll send a representative to do stocking and inventory themselves from then on until they're confident it won't happen again. :-)


Rysky wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is a very hefty fine per copy sold involved.

Also they could also get blacklisted from receiving advance copies.

If you go to court and pay attorney's fees, yes, you can get a judgment. And then you can spend money to collect on that judgment.

Or you can threaten to send late shipments of a niche product to a major retailer who can (and based on my B&N browsing, often does) do without the product altogether.

Or you can just politely ask them to correct the problem without childish threats of lawsuits and self destructive boycotts.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Never mind about spoiler tags if you don't want to, I forgot I can just click on Ruins Of Azlant.

D'oh!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Plausible Pseudonym wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is a very hefty fine per copy sold involved.

Also they could also get blacklisted from receiving advance copies.

If you go to court and pay attorney's fees, yes, you can get a judgment. And then you can spend money to collect on that judgment.

Or you can threaten to send late shipments of a niche product to a major retailer who can (and based on my B&N browsing, often does) do without the product altogether.

Or you can just politely ask them to correct the problem without childish threats of lawsuits and self destructive boycotts.

Word gets around that a major retailer broke street date then that's a very big problem for them. They can afford to do without a single product, sure. But not all of them as other publishers start getting wary about sending advance shipments to them.

If the problem can be fixed then yes it would be a bit extreme to go immediately into lawsuits, but if enough of the product was already sold long before it should have then you kinda can't fix that. And since most of Paizo's income comes from Subscriptions which are kinda built on getting the PDF early as perk then I can see why they would definitely be concerned.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

The issue was resolved and they did say if anyone tried to buy the book their system would have popped up with an alert. They did have the day of the week right they just placed it there accidentally 2 weeks ahead Of schedule.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
zergtitan wrote:
The issue was resolved and they did say if anyone tried to buy the book their system would have popped up with an alert. They did have the day of the week right they just placed it there accidentally 2 weeks ahead Of schedule.

Ah that's good then.

Liberty's Edge

What I would like to know is, are humans in a "bad" position without Golarion? How many humans are there in Absalom Station? Are there other major human planets or settlements?


Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

There's a difference between breaking street date due to an honest mistake (which it sounds like was the case at that B&N) and flagrantly disregarding street dates. People make mistakes, and I'm sure the people who accidentally put it on the shelves got admonished and will be extra careful in the future (at least for a while) to not do it again.

Blacklisting a retailer is a bit of a nuclear option, and my guess is that Paizo would prefer to avoid it if possible. After all, it's one less place where the publisher can get sales, so it cuts both ways.

Goes back to checking email every minute for shipment notification.


I'd love to hear what the Ysoki statblock looks like, fairly interested in making one of those little buggers.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Paladinosaur wrote:
What I would like to know is, are humans in a "bad" position without Golarion? How many humans are there in Absalom Station? Are there other major human planets or settlements?

Well, we do know that there are red-skinned humans on Akiton (or at least were in the era of Pathfinder), so it's possible they could just merge into that population. Not to mention the descendants of the Azlanti colonization efforts.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
skizzerz wrote:


Goes back to checking email every minute for shipment notification.

If what was previously said about what time the shipping department opens was correct, we’ve got another 90 minutes until they might be shipping anything today.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paladinosaur wrote:
What I would like to know is, are humans in a "bad" position without Golarion? How many humans are there in Absalom Station? Are there other major human planets or settlements?
Spoiler:
Core Rulebook wrote:
Today, Absalom Station is the undisputed center of human culture, yet humans can be found on nearly every planet in the system, either integrated into alien societies or creating colonies and homesteads on new worlds.

I see no sign of humans being in a bad position. I haven't read the setting chapter in detail, but I don't see any specified population numbers (for anything) on a quick skim.


8 people marked this as a favorite.
Paladinosaur wrote:
What I would like to know is, are humans in a "bad" position without Golarion? How many humans are there in Absalom Station? Are there other major human planets or settlements?
Absalom Station Public Service Announcement wrote:
We would like at this time to remind all visitors to ask a human's permission first before attempting to rub their head or stomach affectionately. Although adorable they are from a death world and are prone to extreme violence when provoked.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Maltoran wrote:
I'd love to hear what the Ysoki statblock looks like, fairly interested in making one of those little buggers.

Spoiler:
I don't want to give out details, but "smart, quick, small tinkerers" should get the general idea across.

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Goes back to checking email every minute for shipment notification.

Must click F5... muuusssssttttt clickkkkkk...

451 to 500 of 949 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Starfinder Core Rulebook All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.