Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Adventurer's Guide (PFRPG)

3.30/5 (based on 32 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Adventurer's Guide (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $39.99

Add PDF $9.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Join Us!

Being an adventurer is a dangerous line of work, but the rewards are well worth the risk. The smartest adventurers never go it alone—they not only bring allies to help explore the dangerous reaches of the world, but also seek aid in the form of support, supplies, and secrets from powerful organizations. With such a group to serve as a guide, an adventuring party's chances for success have never been better!

Pathfinder RPG Adventurer's Guide presents several such organizations, each with its own suite of benefits and boons to grant those affiliated with it. Designed for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and drawing upon the rich traditions of the official Pathfinder campaign setting, this indispensable guide for adventurers provides a wealth of new character options for your game.

Pathfinder RPG Adventurer's Guide includes:

  • Details on 18 different organizations that use adventurers to further their goals, including the law-enforcing Hellknights, the sinister assassins of the Red Mantis, and of course, the world-renowned Pathfinder Society itself.
  • A wealth of new player options, including feats, spells, magic items, prestige classes, archetypes, and new abilities and powers for a wide range of classes.
  • Rules and advice on how to incorporate the new options found in this book into your own game, whether it takes place in the official Pathfinder campaign setting or in a world of your own choice or design.
  • Notes on the movers and shakers of each organization—nonplayer characters who can come alive in your game as allies and advisors for the player characters.
  • AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-938-7

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1138


See Also:

1 to 5 of 32 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.30/5 (based on 32 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Deepens My Investment in Golarion

5/5

I didn’t expect to find such a connection to this book, having not played the APs that touch on the various groups contained herein (and also just generally hating hellknights), but hoo-boy was I surprised.

The writing is lovely, the characters and organizations are vivid, and the player options are exciting and well-designed. The gray maidens chapter in particular blew me away in particular. The mechanics of their player options are a pedect combination of flavorful and mechanically effective, and have the added bonus of fitting together into a coherent and effective character build.


Great Book!

5/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

These days, it can take a lot for a book focused on new feats, spells, etc. to impress me. I’ve reached a saturation point. There are so many options now that I can’t keep track of them all, and most new ones get forgotten soon after I read them. Adventurer’s Guide is one of the few books that stays in my mind and keeps pulling me back to it. I can’t recommend it enough!


The worst core line offering by far

1/5

The title is misleading, as was posited by many during the product preview, and mealy-mouthedly denied by Paizo. This is a Golarion book, period, which has no place in the core line, and the contents consist of an insultingly large percentage of reprints. Shameful, really.


Good Product if New

4/5

Soooo...I'm going to say that I obsessively collect Pathfinder products, and as such, much of this material is old hat for me. Emphasis here is 'for me.' With that said, I want to examine this in a vacuum.

The artwork is good, but then, it's been good. It serves more as a 'Faction Guide 2' for me than anything, giving some details about the various organizations, class options, feats, and ties. In particular, though, I like that I don't have to flip through two or three books to get character options for the factions. Hellknights in particular were always a pain due to how diffuse their rules were. I can now hand this book to a person and say "here ya go. Here's some ideas of factions in the setting."

One drawback, as has been mentioned, is spoilers for the various APs. While I use those sparingly, it can be somewhat problematic, and I'd suggest steering players away from this if that's the case.

Overall, it's a decent enough product. If you're new to the setting, it's worth picking up as a nice collected list. If you're old hat, a few options inside are interesting enough, and a few setting updates are worth examining. I'm particularly interested in the Lantern Bearers' new direction.


Solid addition with some faults

4/5

This book helps clear up and collect a lot of older material, balanced now with other released material for GMs. It also adds in a wealth of new material for factions of Adventurers across Golarion.

What's good?
A solid collection of old and new under one singular heading.

What's bad?
Some factions contain major spoilers, making it hard for a GM to just pass off to players who may be playing certain APs.

What's fun?
Inclusion of multiple races and creeds and even transgendered factions and npcs in multiple parts of the book. This book really fleshed out some factions which had little to no crunch.

What's odd?
Certain feats are fun but others are less the useable. A feat that allows a bonus on maneuvers but doesn't stack with improved maneuver feats? Those are the ones that help avoid AoO. So what's the point of the feat? Additionally a heads up to some people about the amount of reprints would have calmed an angry section of customers.

Honestly I love the book and can't wait to try out some of the new material and some of the updated versions of older (and due to other books options more unbalanced) options.

When you get past the salty tears of angry optimizers, you're left with a fine entry into the guides section with Inner Seas flavour.


1 to 5 of 32 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
401 to 450 of 1,453 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

I saw it referenced the pathfinder society
but within the society are different groups
grand lodge
scarab sages
dark archives
sovereign court
liberty's edge
the exchange
will these have representation?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
brad2411 wrote:
Do we know yet if the PRC's in this are going to be reprints or brand new?

Some will be reprints, some will be brand new.

As with a bestiary, about 1/3 of this book is reprinted material, all of which has been revised as needed or expanded upon as space allows. And as with the reprinted monsters in the Bestiaries, this gets these concepts into a hardcover so that they'll stay in print longer than they otherwise would.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Souphin wrote:

I saw it referenced the pathfinder society

but within the society are different groups
grand lodge
scarab sages
dark archives
sovereign court
liberty's edge
the exchange
will these have representation?

Not so much; a lot of that content is Pathfinder Society Campiaign org play stuff and is more appropriately explored in the context of the org play campaign. This book's going to be taking a more "bird's eye" view of the Pathfinder Society. Of all the organizations in the book, this one's the one that's had the most written about it, after all.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
Do we know yet if the PRC's in this are going to be reprints or brand new?

Some will be reprints, some will be brand new.

As with a bestiary, about 1/3 of this book is reprinted material, all of which has been revised as needed or expanded upon as space allows. And as with the reprinted monsters in the Bestiaries, this gets these concepts into a hardcover so that they'll stay in print longer than they otherwise would.

Thanks James, I am looking forward to this book!


James Jacobs wrote:


Really? An "actually"?

o_o

I... don't know what that means. Did casual use of the word "actually" fall out of common use when I wasn't looking?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Tectorman wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Really? An "actually"?

o_o

I... don't know what that means. Did casual use of the word "actually" fall out of common use when I wasn't looking?

There's an association in some folks' mind (including mine) that stepping in to refute and correct someone, often when the thing being "corrected" is an opinion, begins with a faux and insincere "Actually...", particularly among some toxic internet circles. If it wasn't intended this way, then whew! Still, it triggered my annoyance meter. :-/


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wow. This Product Discussion hasn't been on-topic for quite awhile...
So, at least 18 prestige classes and 36 archetypes possible?! Nice. It would be nice to get a Twilight Talon archetype or PrC.


Things that I would very much enjoy, since we have so many PrCs and archetypes.
- PrCs that scale some non-casting stuff. Kineticist blasts or talents, phantoms or eidolons, that sort of thing. A way to swap casting progression for something else would be really cool, but understandably tricky to balance or word.
- An archetype for every class. We've got enough, after all!
- PrCs with flexible stat dependencies. It's nice to have more classes with synergy.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hopefully some of the archetypes will play well with the PrC's to have a character with those themes from level 1.

Community & Digital Content Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Removed a slight derail of comments. There's really no need to pile on, folks!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yeah guys!

Dark Archive

jedi8187 wrote:

Hopefully some of the archetypes will play well with the PrC's to have a character with those themes from level 1.

I hope so to but that has been what they have been doing for a bit know I.e. Aldori sword lord archetype to class and the winter witch archetype to class.

Sovereign Court

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

What have we here?

Courtesy of Wayfinder 16. Go get it, it's free! ^_^

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Kalindlara wrote:

What have we here?

Courtesy of Wayfinder 16. Go get it, it's free! ^_^

Dawww, they'ze buddies ^w^

Silver Crusade

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

An Infernal Armoured Person, a Funky Crimson Mantis Slasher and a Somewhat Greyish Armoured Lady walk through an open content gate...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:

What have we here?

Courtesy of Wayfinder 16. Go get it, it's free! ^_^

It's like the Curse of the Crimson Throne villain squad just walked in!

I'm really down with the Red Mantis art we've seen in this ad and in the hardcover Curse of the Crimson Thingymajig. I can't recall an older Red Mantis Assassin by Wayne Reynolds, but I certainly like what I see here!

Dark Archive

That art actually looks bit like new one .-. I mean, you can see holes in the "eyes" and helmet in general looks more like helmet in shape of mantis head than mantis head rubber mask

Anyway, I'm surprised this book apparently has prestige class for Grey Maidens since I thought their appeal was about them just being regular fighters ._.;


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CorvusMask wrote:

That art actually looks bit like new one .-. I mean, you can see holes in the "eyes" and helmet in general looks more like helmet in shape of mantis head than mantis head rubber mask

Anyway, I'm surprised this book apparently has prestige class for Grey Maidens since I thought their appeal was about them just being regular fighters ._.;

Yup, exactly that. Same thing I liked in the CotCT art; the armor looks believable as well as iconic. The helmet looks like, well, a helmet!

I think it looks more menacing than the "rubber mask," too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Quick comment on title and confusion of contents: I'm pretty sure I've never bought a book, *especially* an RPG one, based solely on the title.

I will admit to the same initial confusion/desire to not get this book as so many others have commented. And then James Jacobs mentioned this in his reply to me in his Ask thread, and I quickly searched it out.

And I did what I always do, read the description and then instantly decided this was a book I wanted.

I loved Paths of the Righteous, which James also helped develop(or solely developed) and if this book is half as good as that, this will be another much loved addition to my RPG library.

The fact that it includes info on several of the less explored organizations is pretty freakin sweet, as are any new archetypes and PrCs.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

13 people marked this as a favorite.

If you're a fan of prestige classes... you WILL enjoy this book. There's about 2 dozen of them in here.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love lore. Bring it on, with whatever title or product line you guys want. :)

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
If you're a fan of prestige classes... you WILL enjoy this book. There's about 2 dozen of them in here.

Oh James, you handsome dinosaur. You never let us down, do you?


I hope there is a large amount of "crunch" material for it to be worth buying in here, because I am still unsatisfied with the "fluff" not being generic enough.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Geramies wrote:
I hope there is a large amount of "crunch" material for it to be worth buying in here, because I am still unsatisfied with the "fluff" not being generic enough.

James just said there's 24 PrCs. The description claims at least two archetypes per organization, of which there are 18, meaning we shall supposedly get 36 archetypes minimum.

Also, dozens and dozens(again, per description) of 'new spells, magic items, feats, and other unique character options of diverse nature'

Seems like plenty o crunch to me.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Monkeygod wrote:
James just said there's 24 PrCs.

About. He said "about two dozen".

The product description says at least one per organization... so we've got "at least" 18 and "about two dozen". Eighteen would be 1.5 dozen and rounding that up to 'about two' would not be implausible.

From the two statements I'd guess that we are most likely getting somewhere between 19 and 23 PrCs.

Quote:

The description claims at least two archetypes per organization, of which there are 18, meaning we shall supposedly get 36 archetypes minimum.

Also, dozens and dozens(again, per description) of 'new spells, magic items, feats, and other unique character options of diverse nature'

Seems like plenty o crunch to me.

Agreed. Seems likely they'll need at least three pages for the 'crunch' with each organization... so 54+ pages of crunch. That's a better ratio than the (generally well received) Villain Codex, which had ~2 pages of new crunch for each of 20 groups.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

10 people marked this as a favorite.

Whether or not 50 some pages of prestige classes, 40 some pages of archetypes, and 60 some pages of other rules options will be enough to satisfy any one person's notion of there being enough crunch in the book is, ultimately, only something they can answer for themselves.

The book DOES have more rules content than flavor content, but it also has more flavor content than, books like Ultimate Combat or Advanced Class Guide does.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

7 people marked this as a favorite.
CBDunkerson wrote:
Monkeygod wrote:
James just said there's 24 PrCs.

About. He said "about two dozen".

The product description says at least one per organization... so we've got "at least" 18 and "about two dozen". Eighteen would be 1.5 dozen and rounding that up to 'about two' would not be implausible.

From the two statements I'd guess that we are most likely getting somewhere between 19 and 23 PrCs.

Quote:

The description claims at least two archetypes per organization, of which there are 18, meaning we shall supposedly get 36 archetypes minimum.

Also, dozens and dozens(again, per description) of 'new spells, magic items, feats, and other unique character options of diverse nature'

Seems like plenty o crunch to me.

Agreed. Seems likely they'll need at least three pages for the 'crunch' with each organization... so 54+ pages of crunch. That's a better ratio than the (generally well received) Villain Codex, which had ~2 pages of new crunch for each of 20 groups.

The basic formula for each organization is 1.5 pages of introduction and flavor (including notes on 3 significant NPCs in that group along with a half page illustration to fill up the other .5 of that spread), 2 pages for a prestige class, 2 pages for archetypes, and 2 pages for other rule options (magic items, feats, spells, class options, etc.). This varies; some of the groups will have more than 1 prestige class. Some will have more than 2 pages for archetypes. Some will have more than 2 pages for other rules info. All depending on the needs of the group. There'll be additional flavor for everything across the board (we're going with a one-archetype per page format here, with every archetype getting an illustration, for example, which in some cases means we have room for a column of flavor text... in others only a few sentences, all depending on the rules complexity of the archetype).

It'll certainly be interesting to see if folks consider a rules element that in a prior book might have taken up 300 words now having the same amount of rules content but with 300 words of evocative flavor "as crunchy" or "less crunchy" I guess.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Wow.

That's more than double my previous minimum estimate on crunch. I was expecting considerably more background material.

So ~20% background material vs ~80% new rules.

I'm actually a little sad we aren't getting more 'fluff'.. but I'll live. :]


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

As someone who's never used the Golarion campaign setting, I'm pretty excited about this book. I've been wanting to start incorporating aspects of some of these Golarion organizations into our homebrew setting. Having all the PrCs revised and updated in a hardcover is going to make that a lot easier.


I have a question about the PrC that the Aldori Swordlords chapter will contain. Is it going to be an updating of the older one from Paths of Prestige? Or an all-new one for other classes like the rogue or swashbuckler who want to become a swordlord?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
CBDunkerson wrote:

Wow.

That's more than double my previous minimum estimate on crunch. I was expecting considerably more background material.

So ~20% background material vs ~80% new rules.

I'm actually a little sad we aren't getting more 'fluff'.. but I'll live. :]

It's flavor, not fluff. And we're still going to be producing flavor in the forms of softcover campaign settings and adventures and player companions and all that, never fear!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Eric Hinkle wrote:
I have a question about the PrC that the Aldori Swordlords chapter will contain. Is it going to be an updating of the older one from Paths of Prestige? Or an all-new one for other classes like the rogue or swashbuckler who want to become a swordlord?

In many cases, where an organization has an existing prestige class associated with it, we're reprinting that prestige class. Sometimes we'll clarify things or errata the class or incorporate new ways for newer classes like the swashbuckler, but other times those options will be covered by archetypes.

My goal for this book was to make sure that ALL of the core classes would have several choices to play with, and then to expand out to make sure as many other class options are supported with fun stuff as well.

Overall, the amount of reprinted material in this book is comparable to a bestiary (about 1/3, often with new art and new flavor/clarifications as mentioned above)

As for specific questions about how specific elements were handled for specific groups... that type of exact revelation isn't appropriate yet, as the book is still being finalized and prepared for the printer; things can still change, in other words. This type of more detailed revelation is something we do in previews as the time for the book's actual release draws near.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
CBDunkerson wrote:
I'm actually a little sad we aren't getting more 'fluff'.. but I'll live. :]
It's flavor, not fluff.

For the record, I agree. The scare quotes around fluff were meant to imply that the term, while used frequently in this thread, is IMO inappropriate.

Unfortunately, that particular convention of punctuation isn't as widespread as I would like it to be. :]

Quote:
And we're still going to be producing flavor in the forms of softcover campaign settings and adventures and player companions and all that, never fear!

Yay!


5 people marked this as a favorite.

If it's any help, CBD, I did my best to pack as much flavor as I could into my sections. ^_^

(Not to downplay the rules elements, of course. I'm excited for pretty much every part of this product to see release.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for the clarifications, Directorsaur! This is THE hardcover I anticipate most this year. This is something I have been waiting for and didn't even know it!

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Isabelle Lee wrote:
If it's any help, CBD, I did my best to pack as much flavor as I could into my sections. ^_^

Would it be appropriate to call it "flavor-blasted"? :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:

Whether or not 50 some pages of prestige classes, 40 some pages of archetypes, and 60 some pages of other rules options will be enough to satisfy any one person's notion of there being enough crunch in the book is, ultimately, only something they can answer for themselves.

The book DOES have more rules content than flavor content, but it also has more flavor content than, books like Ultimate Combat or Advanced Class Guide does.

I'm sure now this book has evolved from "pass... e_e" to "why hasn't May come yet? TnT"

Contributor

If the prestige classes are anywhere near the same level of quality as Paths of the Righteous, this'll be a must buy.


I might have missed it but are there any psychic casting based prestige classes or archetypes in this book? Any organisations with a psychic theme to them? Any Vudrani organisations?

Seems like this book has a good mix of crunch and flavour. :)

401 to 450 of 1,453 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Adventurer's Guide (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.