Pathfinder Player Companion: Weapon Master's Handbook (PFRPG)

4.60/5 (based on 7 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Weapon Master's Handbook (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $10.49

Print Edition Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Don't just hack and slash like a fresh recruit! Rise above the rank and file to become a true artist of combat with the secrets found within Pathfinder Player Companion: Weapon Master's Handbook! Emulate the fighting style of your patron deity, learn to use your weapons in tricky new ways, or simply enchant your boring old sword with new and exciting magical abilities. Whether you want to perfect the use of a single weapon, become an expert on a whole group of them, or dedicate yourself to a specific fighting style, this player-friendly volume contains everything you need!

Inside this book, you'll find:

  • Weapon style feats giving characters focusing on one type of weapon or weapon combination new options unavailable to less specialized combatants.
  • Advanced weapon mastery options that let specialized fighters continue to improve with their chosen weapons, even at higher levels.
  • Magic item mastery, which pits a character's martial spirit against the essential nature of their magic items, resulting in radically different magic effects.
  • An expansion of the combat trick and stamina system introduced in Pathfinder RPG Pathfinder Unchained to cover combat feats from several Pathfinder Campaign Setting sourcebooks.
  • A weapon design system that allows Game Masters to let their imaginations run wild, adding almost any conceivable weapon to their campaigns.

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-796-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9463


See Also:

1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 7 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Amazing for Fighters

5/5

This book started it all for Fighters in 2106. Finally, the class gets options that lift it from bottom of the barrel.

Combine whats in this book with the combat stamina system from pathfinder unchained, get the armor master handbook and magic tactics toolbox, google "Iron Caster", and enjoy playing fighters that are amazing.


So nice I bought it twice

5/5

I bought this book from my local game store some time ago and just now bought the PDF so I could have a copy on my tablet. This is, in my opinion, probably one of the best books Paizo has put out including other product lines such as the Core books and APs. It's chock full of interesting options for martial characters, especially the Fighter. The Fighter, which has traditionally been the most boring class in the game, got elevated to one of my favorite classes to tinker with thanks to this book alone. Not everything's a hit, like the weapon creation rules which are kind of funky and seem more like a tool to powergame weapon groups in weird ways, but they're minor enough issues or just not bad enough to detract from the book as a whole.

Absolutely pick this book up, if for no other reason than to support this kind of content in the future.


This book unchains the fighter

5/5

The fighter has needed some love for a long time.

You have a plethora of worthwhile options to build the fighter you want to. Some things i love. You ever watch a movie and your hero does some neat trick like blind the bad guy by pulling his helmet over his eyes while stabbing someone else, this book legalizes this! There are bunch of trick options to give you legal ways to do neat things in combat.

They have some combat styles that definitely have their niche. More feats for throwing weapons that are long over due, and they are very potent. Almost essential for someone relying on thrown weapons.

They have ways for warrior types to use magical items in ways not intended. Now I do not see this fitting a weapon master thing to use my incredible health to force a goblin fire drum to make me fly! There issue with this, but it is neat if not out of place. I would have used cha for this ability option.

This was a great book done well. Anyone that like variety in their fighters this is a must buy. Great job Paizo!


When all you have is a hammer, SMASH SMASH SMASH

5/5

Have you ever wanted to ricochet a hammer across the skulls of 3 orcs? Are you intrigued by the idea of lockpicking with a crossbow? Do you ever just want to punch a disintegration ray out of your way with a gauntlet while smugly proclaiming "Not today, buddy!" All this, plus more is possible in the Weapon Master's Handbook. Paizo is pushing the limits of what martial characters can achieve in the Pathfinder ruleset, and I freaking love every bit of it.

Highlights from the book include:

Alternate bonuses fighters can take at each tier of weapon mastery, such as adding bravery to all will saves, applying weapon finesse to any weapon group, proficiency with all exotic weapons, replacing skill requirements with BAB, and more.

New style feats. Who says they have to be restricted to monks? These include a style that specializes in whacking people with bows/guns, one that specializes in 5-foot steps and lunges, and a style that turns spears into double weapons.

Butt loads of other feats. What I love about them is just how usable they are. In Ultimate Combat, maybe 10-25% of the feats seemed usable, but in here, I can find uses and potential build ideas for most of the ones in this book. Some of my favorites are Spellcut (substitute base saves with BAB against magic), Smash from the Air (knock away magic attacks and freaking boulders), and Cayden Cailean's Blade and Tankard, which specializes in using a tankard as an off-hand weapon!

The only potential downside I can see to this book, is that a lot of the features are specific to fighters, or require weapon mastery as a class feature to qualify. That being said, I was disappointed by their lack of inclusion in Pathfinder Unchained, so I feel they were overdue for some love.

I really hope Paizo continues in this direction for fun, flavorful, and most importantly, useful combat options. This is probably my favorite player companion of all time, and I can't wait to try out all these new builds swimming around in my head.


I iz martial, can I haz nice things?

5/5

A book on martials, in particular Fighters, getting cool things. Like flying without having to rely upon a spellcaster. Or getting more out-of-combat options, which you likely did not expect from a book like this. Excellent, well-thought, innovative material.

The new direction of Player Companions under Owen is excellent. If Armor Master Handbook will be half as good... my only gripe will be that these too should be put together into a hardcover.


1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 664 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

DragoDorn wrote:
BlackKestrel wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Someone posted that the book is said to have rules for creating and modifying weapons in it. That sounds pretty interesting to me (and something that I was pondering ways to do a while back.)
Trailblazer covered that pretty well and in a page or less, IIRC.
Is Trailblazer Open Game License Compatible? If it is, could you post it here once the book is out for comparison sake?

I think they might be talking about the below.

Trailblazer.

If so, it came out after the announcement of 4e and before Pathfinder came out or it came out during the Playtest. I can't remember for certain.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

will it have a page on Aldori dueling?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I, for one, would enjoy the new Stamina Combat Tricks. It makes the Fighter a better class.

I have a thread where I posted my own Combat Tricks for the Combat feats not covered by PF Unchained right here if anyone is interested:

NEW COMBAT TRICKS

Scarab Sages Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
equinoxmaster wrote:
will it have a page on Aldori dueling?

It's certainly have SOME Aldori dueling coverage.


Will there be an archetype that does the Weapon Master fighter proud?


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

This one sounds interesting, and the talk of style feats brings on some Complete Fighter's Handbook nostalgia! This is a good thing.

Are there any plans to extend the Weapon Specialisation Feat?

Or feats which add/augment the weapon you use, such as adding a (plausible) weapon quality (trip for a pole arm), or using it in a different way such as using a longspear as a double weapon?

There's lots of ways this book could go, I look forward to seeing where you go with it.


Owen KC Stephens wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
I am still holding out for style feats for weapons.
I am currently looking at doing fighting styles for weapon *groups* (so it's easier to cover a broad range), and then some common weapons combos ("weapon and board," since it shouldn't have to be a sword with your shield, two weapon, strapped weapon-as-backup, thrown, and so on).

Honestly, I'm really hoping for more love for thrown weapons. I'm building a character based on Kreig from Borderlands 2 who can throw his one-handed axe. Also have a Musetouched Oracle of the Black Butterfly who uses a starknife. Thrown weapons really haven't had much love and I hope to see more for it.

Dark Archive

Things I'd like to see...
Feats for shield where they are used for defence and not attacking
more or new Spells to attack with but as or like weapons (e.g. Flame blade or produce flame)
A hoplite or round tower shield -- more defence than a large shield less encumbered than a tower shield
Use weapon finesse on double ended weapons in a spinning weapon style
More weapon attachments (e.g. Effortless Lace)
To add to the attachment funtions that work with class features (i.e. Allowing warpreists blessings last twice as long with such items)
A feat or item to make returning weapons goto the wielders even if they moved or attack on the return
Feats , features , or magical items for energy weapon effects and not just adding elements (i.e. Allowing a weapon with (elemental) burst to strike the ground x/day to make an AOE.)

Dark Archive

DekoTheBarbarian wrote:
Owen KC Stephens wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
I am still holding out for style feats for weapons.
I am currently looking at doing fighting styles for weapon *groups* (so it's easier to cover a broad range), and then some common weapons combos ("weapon and board," since it shouldn't have to be a sword with your shield, two weapon, strapped weapon-as-backup, thrown, and so on).
Honestly, I'm really hoping for more love for thrown weapons. I'm building a character based on Kreig from Borderlands 2 who can throw his one-handed axe. Also have a Musetouched Oracle of the Black Butterfly who uses a starknife. Thrown weapons really haven't had much love and I hope to see more for it.

Not that I am saying that I would not like more ranged weapon love. I love the starknife. Just to make sure you know they have the ranged tactics toolbox that was pretty awesome.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I'm personally hoping for a Ranger archetype with Martial Flexibility. A monster hunter needs to be able to adapt to his foes and the Fighter (Martial Master) just doesn't have the Skill Ranks, Track or Quarry ability to make it happen.

I know there's probably a lot of content fighting for a spot in this book though. Oh well, a man can dream I suppose!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Please have things that I'll like

Scarab Sages Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Human Fighter wrote:
Please have things that I'll like

I'm trying!


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Human Fighter wrote:
Please have things that I'll like
I'm trying!

Stop that right now!

Scarab Sages Developer

Elf Wizard wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Human Fighter wrote:
Please have things that I'll like
I'm trying!
Stop that right now!

Don't be jealous. Your turn is coming.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I hope there's an Aldori Dueling Swashbuckler archetype.

Scarab Sages Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

There are Aldori Swordlord-realted items.
There is a Swashbuckler archetype.
I don't promise an Aldori Dueling Swashbuckler archetype

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Any love for the falcata and buckler combo?


As far as magic items go, it'd be cool to see some combined-effect magic items (per the "Adding New Abilities" section on page 553 of the CRB) slotted in. Depending on what the new rules actually are, that might be a good way to support some of the new tricks martials'll be getting. ^^

Scarab Sages Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Morris wrote:
Any love for the falcata and buckler combo?

I certainly did not forget the Rondelero.

Scarab Sages Developer

GM Rednal wrote:
As far as magic items go, it'd be cool to see some combined-effect magic items (per the "Adding New Abilities" section on page 553 of the CRB) slotted in. Depending on what the new rules actually are, that might be a good way to support some of the new tricks martials'll be getting. ^^

While there are new magic times, the REAL magic item weapon tricks is actually an entire 2-page spread of totally different options.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:
Any love for the falcata and buckler combo?
I certainly did not forget the Rondelero.

Thank you!


The product art/info should be getting updated soon.

Community & Digital Content Director

Updated with final cover image and description!

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Valeros isn't even on the cover for this one? I thought it would be him and Oloch for sure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Go. Hunt. Kill Gnols.

Magic item mastery and expanded stamina and combat tricks sound really cool, and I'm still interested in seeing the weapon design rules. Sounds almost like too much into one Player Companion? Is it the standard page count for this?

Scarab Sages Developer

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Magic item mastery and expanded stamina and combat tricks sound really cool, and I'm still interested in seeing the weapon design rules. Sounds almost like too much into one Player Companion? Is it the standard page count for this?

It is the standard page count. It also sure felt bigger.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

The weapon design part has me giggling with glee, but the whole book sounds wonderful. I love playing martials. :D

Scarab Sages Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kvantum wrote:
Valeros isn't even on the cover for this one? I thought it would be him and Oloch for sure.

Valeros isn't on the cover because I have him three times in the interior. :D

And he was always in my heart.


Darn, I missed seeing shirtless Valeros on the cover.

Still, anything that's likely to see some nice martial stuff makes me smile, so I'm happy.

And that means no orbital bombardment with exploding bovine...today.


Nice! I'm excited by all of these new potential options.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

An expansion of the combat trick and stamina system introduced in Pathfinder RPG Pathfinder Unchained to cover combat feats from several Pathfinder Campaign Setting sourcebooks.

YES.


I wish ALL Pathfinder combat feats could be covered with Combat Tricks for the Stamina System, but I can be happy with some new ones for now.

Using the Fighter only option from Unchained with the Stamina System has been a great boon for the Fighter class in my games. I actually have players that want to play Fighters again now.


Any Tower Shield love or should we wait until Armor Master's Handbook?

Scarab Sages Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Secret Wizard wrote:
Any Tower Shield love or should we wait until Armor Master's Handbook?

Anything specific Tower Shield would be in a later book.

This one is all about weapons. :)


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Gorbacz wrote:

An expansion of the combat trick and stamina system introduced in Pathfinder RPG Pathfinder Unchained to cover combat feats from several Pathfinder Campaign Setting sourcebooks.

YES.

Very nice! But, only from the Campaign Settings line? Not the Player Companions? Weird.

Scarab Sages Developer

Zaister wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:

An expansion of the combat trick and stamina system introduced in Pathfinder RPG Pathfinder Unchained to cover combat feats from several Pathfinder Campaign Setting sourcebooks.

YES.

Very nice! But, only from the Campaign Settings line? Not the Player Companions? Weird.

Each topic only gets so much room in a 32-page book. Inner Sea Combat, Inner Sea Gods, and the Inner Sea world Guide have some bedrock Golarion-flavor combat feats I wanted to cover and, once I did so, there wasn't any more room.

Combat feats from various Player Companion books may get picked up in a future product, if there's an appropriate theme and time and space.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Myself, I'd rather support material (for whatever non-core book) appear where and when it seems appropriate, rather than have it shoehorned into a particular line of books because that's "traditionally" where it would appear.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Myself, I'd rather support material (for whatever non-core book) appear where and when it seems appropriate, rather than have it shoehorned into a particular line of books because that's "traditionally" where it would appear.

That would also be a good opportunity to errata some of the feats from player companions.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hayato Ken wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Myself, I'd rather support material (for whatever non-core book) appear where and when it seems appropriate, rather than have it shoehorned into a particular line of books because that's "traditionally" where it would appear.
That would also be a good opportunity to errata some of the feats from player companions.

I don't know, man. Do you REALLY want to have to pay for errata? That seems like a slippery slope to me.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

Any chance we get a combat feat allowing charge + full round attacks?

Shadow Lodge

Alexander Augunas wrote:
Hayato Ken wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Myself, I'd rather support material (for whatever non-core book) appear where and when it seems appropriate, rather than have it shoehorned into a particular line of books because that's "traditionally" where it would appear.
That would also be a good opportunity to errata some of the feats from player companions.
I don't know, man. Do you REALLY want to have to pay for errata? That seems like a slippery slope to me.

Well, most of the time Players Companions do not get errata or changed for future printings, so the alternative would be no errata at all.

Now, it is a slippery slope, because if they reprint Feats and the like, people will complain thats its reprinted material rather than new, (which is a valid complaint), and like for example a better known case Butterfly Sting, I believe its called off the top of my head, alter it in a significant way that a lot of folks no longer qualify, or make the Feat undesirable, or something like that.

If they don't reprint to fix those Feats, well they will probably never be done, again a valid complaint.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rogar Valertis wrote:

Any chance we get a combat feat allowing charge + full round attacks?

Could be wrong, but I believe Paizo is trying to minimize the pounce options, so I wouldn't think so.


I just want to lift a giant's greatsword and stab that red dragon in the face. AS A PALADIN! ;)


I find it hard for them to have issues getting errata out for 32-page books in a quick manner. When errata is issued, it should be posted, free to grab, on their website.

They simply need to add to the FAQ page a new page called "Campaign Setting Errata" and "Player Companion Errata" to better group them together to easily find.


What are the chances of us seeing some 3.5 combats feats updated to PF?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am a big fan of the stamina resource system and I am glad it is seeing more love.

The things I am interested the most in the book besides the aforementioned stamina love are the weapon style feats. I am hoping that they won't be too much of a feat investment and there will be feats that do more than increase damage and attack rolls.

Scarab Sages Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Wolfgang Rolf wrote:
I am hoping that they won't be too much of a feat investment and there will be feats that do more than increase damage and attack rolls.

While some snuck in, for the most part I was trying to only include combat feats that didn't add to attack and damage rolls, but instead created other interesting options.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Wolfgang Rolf wrote:
I am hoping that they won't be too much of a feat investment and there will be feats that do more than increase damage and attack rolls.
While some snuck in, for the most part I was trying to only include combat feats that didn't add to attack and damage rolls, but instead created other interesting options.

Much thanks for the good news. Even those sneaky damage feats can't ruin my excitement for this book.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Barachiel Shina wrote:

I find it hard for them to have issues getting errata out for 32-page books in a quick manner. When errata is issued, it should be posted, free to grab, on their website.

They simply need to add to the FAQ page a new page called "Campaign Setting Errata" and "Player Companion Errata" to better group them together to easily find.

It's not that they have issues doing it, per se; it's a byproduct of their errata policy.

Paizo only releases official errata when they reprint a book... and they don't reprint Player Companions.

So Player Companions don't get errata. :(

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Alexander Augunas wrote:
Hayato Ken wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Myself, I'd rather support material (for whatever non-core book) appear where and when it seems appropriate, rather than have it shoehorned into a particular line of books because that's "traditionally" where it would appear.
That would also be a good opportunity to errata some of the feats from player companions.
I don't know, man. Do you REALLY want to have to pay for errata? That seems like a slippery slope to me.

I like it better than not getting errata ever. :/

(No offense meant.)

51 to 100 of 664 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Weapon Master's Handbook (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.