Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG)

4.60/5 (based on 5 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $10.49

Print Edition Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

There are those who fight and die honorably, and there are those with pockets full of dirty tricks who live to brawl another day. Embrace the subversive with Dirty Tactics Toolbox, a player-focused manual filled with loads of deliciously devious tips, tricks, and rules options to ensure that your character never has to face a fair fight. Delve into the art of the ambush, research new poisons, and discover ways to enhance your sneak attacks and dirty trick combat maneuvers. And if none of that suits your sly sensibilities, arm yourself with magic that targets your enemy's jugular or turns her sword into an angry snake. Dirty Tactics Toolbox contains everything you need to gain the upper hand and then exploit the advantage mercilessly. Inside this book, you'll find:

  • Tips for using all manner of poisons, including feats that empower envenomed weapons and infuse magic with toxins, plus details on a bevy of new poisons.
  • General and specific tactics for using sneak attacks, plus new feats for characters who specialize in dealing precision damage.
  • Expanded ideas for using the dirty trick combat maneuver, plus ways to combine combat maneuvers with guile and a new combat style for those who admire the cunning kitsune.
  • Options for characters who worship trickster gods, such as manipulative Asmodeus and chaotic Calistria, plus a wasp familiar for the faithful of the Savored Sting.
  • A wide range of new equipment tricks, including novel uses for boots, cloaks, nets, thieves' tools, and wondrous items, plus new equipment, magic armor and weapons, and spells for your crooked arsenal.

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-763-5

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9459


See Also:

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 5 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Good, but not spectacular

3/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

Dirty Tactics Toolbox follows in the vein of its predecessor “Toolbox” books: Ranged Tactics Toolbox and Melee Tactics Toolbox. And much like those two other books, I have the same basic issues with it. While it’s a perfectly functional book, there’s not a lot in it that really stands out and is memorable when compared with the vast amount of other options already available in the game. That said, I do think it edges out the previous two books by a small margin by having a few more things that did catch my attention and a few more instances of nicely integrated world flavour.


Tactics Toolbox series keeps getting better

5/5

It started with Melee Tactics Toolbox, then Ranged Tactics Toolbox, now Dirty Tactics Toolbox makes a excellent line turn STELLAR.

When a Player Companion has feat/archetypes/spells that make you want to start a new character JUST TO USE THE OPTIONS, then it is a great one indeed.

A few stand-outs are the Poison spells (a category of spell I thought was previously lacking), Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat (the Boon Companion feat for multiclass rogues and single class slayers), Dirty Fighting feat (as mentioned everywhere, a long waited for alternative to Combat Expertise) and the Monk of the Mantis archetype (monk with sneak attack PLUS options to work with Unchained Monk? Yes Please!!).

And there are a great number of other gems in here (for example the Sapping weapon property and sniping feat of which I forget the exact name).

The only downside is now my expectations for the next Tactics Toolbox are sky high.


A grand success!

5/5

This player companion is to-date my favorite player companion yet. The new format and the new methodology really paid off with this winning design.

The content walks a fine line between too much crunch and too much fluff by having a ton of both and making sure that the fluff options are still good options! The feats and archetypes are rich with character building ideas, setting lore and still great, viable archetypes that stand up well.

Overall, I don't have much to say other than buy this book! Its not just for Rogues, there are plenty of character options for anyone willing to fight a little dirty.


One of the best Player Companions yet

5/5

While I don't want to go into too many details prior to a broader release, the entirety of this book seems designed to enable builds and approaches that have been conventionally undersupported in the Pathfinder ruleset, and it accomplishes its goal admirably. I think this is one of the best purchases I've made in this line, and strongly suggest it for anyone considering playing a character following one of the concepts it focuses on: poison, sniping and sneak attack, dirty tricks, and ambush/surprise rounds.

I'm particularly fond of the additional sniping support, which has been direly needed for some time. The Dirty Fighting combat feat has the potential to steal the show, though, and may become a staple of various combat maneuver builds for years to come. Like most of the options in this book, it's probably not going to be overpowered; it just makes a previously hard-to-build concept be more effective and efficient.


Wily Options for Everyone

5/5

(I'll be intentionally vague on specific items, feats, and spells until the release date)

With Dirty Tactics Toolbox, Paizo has redeemed a number of design choices that arbitrarily limit those who favor stealthy, indirect, or clever approaches over more traditional "hit it with a big sword/spell" tactics. Dirty Tactics has options for virtually everyone, and a lot of the feats, spells, and abilities are less about power creep and more about bringing the less viable options into parity with the default "tetori monk, ragelancepouncebarian, archery ranger" tropes.

Not surprisingly, The book spends significant page count on the Dirty Trick combat maneuver, providing options to make it significantly more viable and interesting. There's even a feat for Swashbucklers (and Amateur Swashbucklers) that makes Dirty Trick pretty good starting from level 1.

Additional attention and love is given to poisoners - casters and mundanes alike - and all are given options to make poisioning... well, less bad. I still think Paizo's unreasonably concerned about making poisoning a valid tactic, but at least now there are a number of options that make poisoning an acceptable, if not optimized choice.

Stealth options are also present in the book, with feats that give rogues a reason to want to crit on their sneak attacks as well as making sniping a more viable strategy.

There are several creative and interesting spells as well. Nothing's too spectacular or "OMG Overpowered", but a number of options continue the book's general theme of making some less-viable character concepts more viable.

As a penultimate note, one particular feat solves a whole host of commonly brought up issues with combat maneuvers. Without getting too detailed, it satisfies many of the more silly prerequisites for combat maneuver feats, as well as lessens the penalty for being untrained in a given combat maneuver. Love the feat, hoping this gets made PFS legal.

Finally, I'd like to call out the Equipment Trick section for providing some genuinely useful equipment tricks - looking at you, Cape and Thieves' Tools. The existing equipment tricks were nothing to write home about, but these you could easily incorporate into any character that would fit the theme.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone who loves making stealth checks, ambushes, combat maneuvers, or who enjoys casting subtle spells. Get this book and help win the table focus back from the boring two-handed strength based types!


201 to 250 of 355 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

zergtitan wrote:

Am I the only one with this image in my head?

"Yar, Hand over all your Japanese Schoolgirls."

Well now you aren't the only one!

I need to go scrub my brain.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gisher wrote:
zergtitan wrote:

Am I the only one with this image in my head?

"Yar, Hand over all your Japanese Schoolgirls."

Well now you aren't the only one!

I need to go scrub my brain.

Its even worse when you decide to scrub off the deific flavor and instead use it to replicate the Chaotic Evil Kraken worshipers over in the Elder Kraken-ruled nation in Tien Xia....


Alexander Augunas wrote:
lots of stuff..

I could of sworn that on the last show that Ryan invited you back to discuss this product when it finally published, as an interviewee, not a critic.

Anyway, regarding non-human support I want to see, I would humbly ask that the lowly Wayang be given some love. It is a PFS legal race, and as far as I can determine, there are only about five (redundant) paragraphs written about how they fit into Golarion, with the two take-away points being (1) they were from the shadow plane and now stay in the jungle because it is dark, and (2) they mostly worship the Rat Goddess Loa Shu Po because she helps them stay hidden.

It seems obvious to me that there should at least be some support for the Wayang-Rat connection, especially considering that Lao Shu Po has the Animal Domain. At a minimum, I think Wayang worshipers of Lao Shu Po should get access to the Riding Rats from the Monster Codex as companions or mounts. I know that Dire Rats are accessible in a number of ways, but they are really sad companions in comparison to almost everything else. (Personally, I've made a Wayang Animal Singer Bard for PFS to play up the connections, but since Wayangs make bad clerics, I was having trouble coming up with much else.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Half-Wayang/Ratfolk PCs!!!

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

zergtitan wrote:
DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Indeed! :) Or Hell's Rebels!

    Quote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Kraken Caller (Druid) - Restricted to Besmarans, gives multiple abilities relating to aquatic combat. Lets you grow tentacles!
  • Am I the only one with this image in my head?

    "Yar, Hand over all your Japanese Schoolgirls."

    Yar, the archetype was (mostly) inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

    Anyway, if you're into tentacles (Japanese, Caribbean, or otherwise), you should also check out the grasping tentacles spell which I also designed. It's a lot like black tentacles but performs dirty trick maneuvers instead of strangulation.

    Shadow Lodge

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

    I don't know of this has been addressed here but I think a lot of these feats have with poisons have a typo. Shouldn't they require Craft (alchemy) rather than Craft (poison)? The former is there one used in all other sources to make poisons and it seems odd to be defaulting back to a skill that hasn't seen use in print since 3.5.


    I don't understand why we have two feats that utilize sneak attack to increase poison DC?

    Pernicious Stab from "Giantslayer's Handbook" increases save DC by sacrificing sneak attack damage.

    So what exactly does Treacherous Toxin do since it it also a sneak attack + poison thing that increases DC?


    Eric B. Ives wrote:
    Alexander Augunas wrote:
    lots of stuff..
    I could of sworn that on the last show that Ryan invited you back to discuss this product when it finally published, as an interviewee, not a critic.

    Oops. I re-watched the segment, and I guess I was wrong. They wanted your comments on Occult Adventures. Sorry. I'm sure this will be a product they will want to review though.

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Barachiel Shina wrote:

    I don't understand why we have two feats that utilize sneak attack to increase poison DC?

    Pernicious Stab from "Giantslayer's Handbook" increases save DC by sacrificing sneak attack damage.

    So what exactly does Treacherous Toxin do since it it also a sneak attack + poison thing that increases DC?

    If I recall correctly... the exact same thing, but better. ^_^

    Liberty's Edge

    Pernicious Stab is terrible - it's 2 sneak per increased DC. Treacherous Toxin's better at 1-1, it just has a weird poison DC cap.


    Serpent wrote:
    zergtitan wrote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Indeed! :) Or Hell's Rebels!

    Quote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Kraken Caller (Druid) - Restricted to Besmarans, gives multiple abilities relating to aquatic combat. Lets you grow tentacles!
  • Am I the only one with this image in my head?

    "Yar, Hand over all your Japanese Schoolgirls."

    Yar, the archetype was (mostly) inspired the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

    Anyway, if you're into tentacles (Japanese, Caribbean, or otherwise), you should also check out the grasping tentacles spell which I also designed. It's a lot like black tentacles but performs dirty trick maneuvers instead of strangulation.

    Tentacled Aberration approved. :)


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Here4daFreeSwag wrote:
    Tentacled Aberration approved. :)

    I CAN'T UN-SEE THIS! I CAN'T UN-HEAR THIS! I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY MIND!

    I must send a link to everyone I know.


    zergtitan wrote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Also for Way of the Wicked as well. :)

    Can anyone tell me more about the Asmodean Advocate cleric archetype?

    Sovereign Court

    3 people marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Axial wrote:
    zergtitan wrote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Also for Way of the Wicked as well. :)

    Can anyone tell me more about the Asmodean Advocate cleric archetype?

    Spoiler:

    Must worship Asmodeus, Trickery domain, no second domain.
    Viper familiar w/ speech.
    Use Profession (barrister) for certain social skills, as does familiar. Add 1/2 level to (barrister) and forgery.
    At 8th level, can upgrade to imp familiar.


    There was mention of a feat(?) that dealt sneak attacks on a critical hit? Is that anything like 3.5's Telling Blow feat? And what else is there to benefit sneak attacks, or at least enable them more often?

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Sharkles wrote:
    There was mention of a feat(?) that dealt sneak attacks on a critical hit? Is that anything like 3.5's Telling Blow feat? And what else is there to benefit sneak attacks, or at least enable them more often?

    Spoiler:
    Not particularly. With the feat, whenever you critically hit with a sneak attack, you get extra dice equal to your multiplier.

    If you're looking for anything to sneak attack more easily, you're going to be disappointed. The closest thing is an alchemical splash weapon that denies Dexterity bonus to AC.


    Kalindlara wrote:
    Sharkles wrote:
    There was mention of a feat(?) that dealt sneak attacks on a critical hit? Is that anything like 3.5's Telling Blow feat? And what else is there to benefit sneak attacks, or at least enable them more often?
    ** spoiler omitted **

    That was unexpected, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I guess it might be for niche builds.

    Spoiler:
    What about the other feats with 'sniper' or 'sneak attack' in the name? Are those any good?

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Sharkles wrote:
    Kalindlara wrote:
    Sharkles wrote:
    There was mention of a feat(?) that dealt sneak attacks on a critical hit? Is that anything like 3.5's Telling Blow feat? And what else is there to benefit sneak attacks, or at least enable them more often?
    ** spoiler omitted **

    That was unexpected, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I guess it might be for niche builds.

    ** spoiler omitted **

    Spoiler:
    The Sniper feats reduce the sniping penalty and let you make two attacks when sniping.

    The SA give you extra SA dice (up to half your level), extra arcane trickster abilities, and let multiclass characters use inspiration to reroll 1s on SA dice (or studied strike dice).


    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.


    Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
    Protoman wrote:

    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.

    A fiendish twist on Daredevil, I see.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Xethik wrote:
    Protoman wrote:

    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.

    A fiendish twist on Daredevil, I see.

    You know it! He's earrned renown throughout Cheliax with his social identity (I've even done a few PFS scenarios in wholly social identity).

    Contributor

    Protoman wrote:

    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.

    If you're referring to the Verify feat for Asmodean characters, it requires 1st-level spellcasting, LE alignment, and that you are a worshiper of Asmodeus.


    donato wrote:
    Protoman wrote:

    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.

    If you're referring to the Verify feat for Asmodean characters, it requires 1st-level spellcasting, LE alignment, and that you are a worshiper of Asmodeus.

    That's the one that allows one to use Profession (barrister) for several social skills?

    Darn. Avenger vigilante in PFS will never get that :( Warlock/zealot in a home game might though.

    Contributor

    Protoman wrote:
    donato wrote:
    Protoman wrote:

    Can anyone pick up this Hell's Lawyer feat? Or is it limited to just the archetype or the cleric class?

    My vigilante character with a Chelaxian lawyer noble social identity is very interested.

    If you're referring to the Verify feat for Asmodean characters, it requires 1st-level spellcasting, LE alignment, and that you are a worshiper of Asmodeus.

    That's the one that allows one to use Profession (barrister) for several social skills?

    Darn. Avenger vigilante in PFS will never get that :( Warlock/zealot in a home game might though.

    Ah, no. The barrister ability is for the cleric archetype.


    Ah. Double darn.

    The Exchange

    My GM is going to be starting a Skulls and Shackles game soon and I was tossing around the idea of a Besmara cleric. I'm already planning on buying this when it becomes available but I just can't wait, can someone tell me about the cleric archetype, the Kraken caller, I think it is called?

    Shadow Lodge

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
    Codanous wrote:
    My GM is going to be starting a Skulls and Shackles game soon and I was tossing around the idea of a Besmara cleric. I'm already planning on buying this when it becomes available but I just can't wait, can someone tell me about the cleric archetype, the Kraken caller, I think it is called?

    Well sad news is that it does nothing with Krakens. You don't summon them, or become one, or anything cool like that. That being said you do get a lot of good ability replaces, swapping nature's lure for a version that works on aquatic/amphibious guys etc. The other thing is you get the option to grow tentacles and shoot ink with wild shape. I call it The Zoidberg Druid. You grow tentacles, flail them at the enemy, and when s%@~ gets bad squirt ink on them and WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP! away.

    The Exchange

    doc the grey wrote:
    Codanous wrote:
    My GM is going to be starting a Skulls and Shackles game soon and I was tossing around the idea of a Besmara cleric. I'm already planning on buying this when it becomes available but I just can't wait, can someone tell me about the cleric archetype, the Kraken caller, I think it is called?
    Well sad news is that it does nothing with Krakens. You don't summon them, or become one, or anything cool like that. That being said you do get a lot of good ability replaces, swapping nature's lure for a version that works on aquatic/amphibious guys etc. The other thing is you get the option to grow tentacles and shoot ink with wild shape. I call it The Zoidberg Druid. You grow tentacles, flail them at the enemy, and when s&%% gets bad squirt ink on them and WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP! away.

    Hah well it still sounds like it'd make for an incredibly interesting character!


    DrSwordopolis wrote:
    Pernicious Stab is terrible - it's 2 sneak per increased DC. Treacherous Toxin's better at 1-1, it just has a weird poison DC cap.

    Eh...disappointing.

    Although, Paizo is really good at NOT writing duplicates (unlike WotC was so terrible at), so I can't complain that this went over their heads. Although it is extremely easy to double check, especially considering there are databases like Archives of Nethys if they somehow do not have their own to make sure they don't write two or more similar feats/spells/items etc.


    Kalindlara wrote:
    Axial wrote:
    zergtitan wrote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Also for Way of the Wicked as well. :)

    Can anyone tell me more about the Asmodean Advocate cleric archetype?

    ** spoiler omitted **

    You were right about it being flavorful and interesting, but it doesn't seem very crunchy/optimal. What does Profession: Barrister actually do?


    Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

    Huzzah! The Expert Sniper feat now let's me snipe without ANY penalty to my Stealth checks! Bwahahahahaha!

    And Master Sniper let's me get two attacks when sniping? And this book includes tons of options for making poison viable? OMG! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

    djones wrote:
    Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

    Well, I have my pdf!

    For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

    One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

    This one feat turns a ton of Arcane Trickster builds on it's head.

    How so?

    Sovereign Court

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Axial wrote:
    Kalindlara wrote:
    Axial wrote:
    zergtitan wrote:
    DrSwordopolis wrote:


  • Asmodean Advocate (Cleric) - Very flavorful and has its own associated feat. Hell's lawyer, essentially, provides a use for Profession: Barrister.
  • Extremely fitting for the upcoming Hells Vengeance AP.

    Also for Way of the Wicked as well. :)

    Can anyone tell me more about the Asmodean Advocate cleric archetype?

    ** spoiler omitted **
    You were right about it being flavorful and interesting, but it doesn't seem very crunchy/optimal. What does Profession: Barrister actually do?

    By itself, nothing. It's just a Profession skill.

    The archetype...:
    allows it to be used in place of Bluff and Diplomacy, which is nice, as it's Wisdom-based. (The advocate also adds half his level to the skill.)

    Think of it as Versatile Performance.


    I saw mention of Tieflings. What stuff do they get in this?

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    QuidEst wrote:
    I saw mention of Tieflings. What stuff do they get in this?

    A race trait and a major hex.

    Spoiler:
    Fiendish Sniper gives you a large bonus on Stealth checks following a sniping attack.

    The Steal Voice major hex takes away a creature's voice for several rounds - if used on a willing target, it lasts several hours. The witch can speak with that creature's voice, as per vocal alteration.

    The Exchange

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Kalindlara wrote:
    QuidEst wrote:
    I saw mention of Tieflings. What stuff do they get in this?

    A race trait and a major hex.

    ** spoiler omitted **

    That race trait, I wish was a feat! Sounds perfect for my Tiefling Ranged Eldritch Knight who prepares Darkness as his only second level spells!

    Everything about this book sounds perfect! If the next player companion is this good I will probably invest in the subscriber status for them! Owen and the Free lancers did some incredible work it sounds like.

    Sovereign Court

    Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
    Codanous wrote:
    Kalindlara wrote:
    QuidEst wrote:
    I saw mention of Tieflings. What stuff do they get in this?

    A race trait and a major hex.

    ** spoiler omitted **

    That race trait, I wish was a feat! Sounds perfect for my Tiefling Ranged Eldritch Knight who prepares Darkness as his only second level spells!

    Everything about this book sounds perfect! If the next player companion is this good I will probably invest in the subscriber status for them! Owen and the Free lancers did some incredible work it sounds like.

    It's not an alternate racial trait. You could take Additional Traits, as long as you don't already have a "race trait". ^_^


    Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
    Ravingdork wrote:

    Huzzah! The Expert Sniper feat now let's me snipe without ANY penalty to my Stealth checks! Bwahahahahaha!

    And Master Sniper let's me get two attacks when sniping? And this book includes tons of options for making poison viable? OMG! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

    djones wrote:
    Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

    Well, I have my pdf!

    For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

    One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

    This one feat turns a ton of Arcane Trickster builds on it's head.
    How so?

    You can blind an enemy using dirty trick, making it vulnerable to sneak attack, so it might be worth not taking enchantment as an opposition school.

    Scarab Sages Developer

    13 people marked this as a favorite.
    Codanous wrote:
    Everything about this book sounds perfect! If the next player companion is this good I will probably invest in the subscriber status for them! Owen and the Free lancers did some incredible work it sounds like.

    My freelancers have done amazing jobs with the often very challenging material I have asked them to write. I think the next several PCs are going to continue our current trends, so if you like what we've been doing, I think you are going to continue to be happy.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
    Codanous wrote:
    Everything about this book sounds perfect! If the next player companion is this good I will probably invest in the subscriber status for them! Owen and the Free lancers did some incredible work it sounds like.
    My freelancers have done amazing jobs with the often very challenging material I have asked them to write. I think the next several PCs are going to continue our current trends, so if you like what we've been doing, I think you are going to continue to be happy.

    I've really been loving how the recent PC books have been addressing things that rubbed the wrong way! Plus, generally including an archetype I never knew I wanted.


    Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
    djones wrote:
    Ravingdork wrote:

    Huzzah! The Expert Sniper feat now let's me snipe without ANY penalty to my Stealth checks! Bwahahahahaha!

    And Master Sniper let's me get two attacks when sniping? And this book includes tons of options for making poison viable? OMG! I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

    djones wrote:
    Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

    Well, I have my pdf!

    For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

    One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

    This one feat turns a ton of Arcane Trickster builds on it's head.
    How so?

    You can blind an enemy using dirty trick, making it vulnerable to sneak attack, so it might be worth not taking enchantment as an opposition school.

    I really think Accomplished Sneak Attacker does more for the Arcane Trickster. For Trick Spell, I think I would rather spend the feat/gold on a wand of mudball and Improved Familiar, but that's obviously not for everyone and is perhaps a little cheesy. If I had a ton of feats on my AT builds, Trick Spell would be a potential.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Argh! All my character designs are in limbo until I know what is PFS legal from this book. Getting the PDF early is a blessing and a curse when the book is this good!


    It appears mantis monk is gonna get a lot of mileage out of the spin kick style trike.

    Community Manager

    Removed some posts.

    Scarab Sages Developer

    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Regarding Greater Grapple, maintaining grapple with a move action, and the performing a dirty trick, as compared to Dirty Grapple:

    That's comparing a two-round process (grapple a foe as a standard round 1, maintain as a move round 2). That's not apples-to-apples. You have a full round where your foe is not, for example, blinded by a Dirty Grapple that both immobilizes and blinds him, so all your allies can sneak attack him (since he's blind).

    If this feat allowed you to use your best CMB against the foe's worst CMD and just required +6 BAB, it'd immediately be used by min/maxers to build a character that pumps all resources into boosting one CMB with feats, traits, archetypes, magic, and so on, and then spamming that single boosted attack against everyone, since it would take twice as much effort to boost defenses to the same level.

    The feat let's you do something potentially useful (combine two standard actions as an initial attack), and has balanced defenses. The vast majority of characters have the same CMD against both combat maneuvers, so it'll only rarely be less likely to work than the same character performing a maneuver against a character with specialized defenses, or a specialized character who is really good at performing one of the two maneuvers (who shouldn't immediately be just as good as another maneuver because he's trying it under more difficult circumstances).


    Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

    Does this book indeed have a feat called Battle Cry that has absolutely nothing to do with the feat by the same name in the Advanced Class Guide?

    201 to 250 of 355 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG) All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.