Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG)

4.60/5 (based on 5 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $10.49

Print Edition Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

There are those who fight and die honorably, and there are those with pockets full of dirty tricks who live to brawl another day. Embrace the subversive with Dirty Tactics Toolbox, a player-focused manual filled with loads of deliciously devious tips, tricks, and rules options to ensure that your character never has to face a fair fight. Delve into the art of the ambush, research new poisons, and discover ways to enhance your sneak attacks and dirty trick combat maneuvers. And if none of that suits your sly sensibilities, arm yourself with magic that targets your enemy's jugular or turns her sword into an angry snake. Dirty Tactics Toolbox contains everything you need to gain the upper hand and then exploit the advantage mercilessly. Inside this book, you'll find:

  • Tips for using all manner of poisons, including feats that empower envenomed weapons and infuse magic with toxins, plus details on a bevy of new poisons.
  • General and specific tactics for using sneak attacks, plus new feats for characters who specialize in dealing precision damage.
  • Expanded ideas for using the dirty trick combat maneuver, plus ways to combine combat maneuvers with guile and a new combat style for those who admire the cunning kitsune.
  • Options for characters who worship trickster gods, such as manipulative Asmodeus and chaotic Calistria, plus a wasp familiar for the faithful of the Savored Sting.
  • A wide range of new equipment tricks, including novel uses for boots, cloaks, nets, thieves' tools, and wondrous items, plus new equipment, magic armor and weapons, and spells for your crooked arsenal.

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-763-5

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9459


See Also:

Average product rating:

4.60/5 (based on 5 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Good, but not spectacular

3/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

Dirty Tactics Toolbox follows in the vein of its predecessor “Toolbox” books: Ranged Tactics Toolbox and Melee Tactics Toolbox. And much like those two other books, I have the same basic issues with it. While it’s a perfectly functional book, there’s not a lot in it that really stands out and is memorable when compared with the vast amount of other options already available in the game. That said, I do think it edges out the previous two books by a small margin by having a few more things that did catch my attention and a few more instances of nicely integrated world flavour.


Tactics Toolbox series keeps getting better

5/5

It started with Melee Tactics Toolbox, then Ranged Tactics Toolbox, now Dirty Tactics Toolbox makes a excellent line turn STELLAR.

When a Player Companion has feat/archetypes/spells that make you want to start a new character JUST TO USE THE OPTIONS, then it is a great one indeed.

A few stand-outs are the Poison spells (a category of spell I thought was previously lacking), Accomplished Sneak Attacker feat (the Boon Companion feat for multiclass rogues and single class slayers), Dirty Fighting feat (as mentioned everywhere, a long waited for alternative to Combat Expertise) and the Monk of the Mantis archetype (monk with sneak attack PLUS options to work with Unchained Monk? Yes Please!!).

And there are a great number of other gems in here (for example the Sapping weapon property and sniping feat of which I forget the exact name).

The only downside is now my expectations for the next Tactics Toolbox are sky high.


A grand success!

5/5

This player companion is to-date my favorite player companion yet. The new format and the new methodology really paid off with this winning design.

The content walks a fine line between too much crunch and too much fluff by having a ton of both and making sure that the fluff options are still good options! The feats and archetypes are rich with character building ideas, setting lore and still great, viable archetypes that stand up well.

Overall, I don't have much to say other than buy this book! Its not just for Rogues, there are plenty of character options for anyone willing to fight a little dirty.


One of the best Player Companions yet

5/5

While I don't want to go into too many details prior to a broader release, the entirety of this book seems designed to enable builds and approaches that have been conventionally undersupported in the Pathfinder ruleset, and it accomplishes its goal admirably. I think this is one of the best purchases I've made in this line, and strongly suggest it for anyone considering playing a character following one of the concepts it focuses on: poison, sniping and sneak attack, dirty tricks, and ambush/surprise rounds.

I'm particularly fond of the additional sniping support, which has been direly needed for some time. The Dirty Fighting combat feat has the potential to steal the show, though, and may become a staple of various combat maneuver builds for years to come. Like most of the options in this book, it's probably not going to be overpowered; it just makes a previously hard-to-build concept be more effective and efficient.


Wily Options for Everyone

5/5

(I'll be intentionally vague on specific items, feats, and spells until the release date)

With Dirty Tactics Toolbox, Paizo has redeemed a number of design choices that arbitrarily limit those who favor stealthy, indirect, or clever approaches over more traditional "hit it with a big sword/spell" tactics. Dirty Tactics has options for virtually everyone, and a lot of the feats, spells, and abilities are less about power creep and more about bringing the less viable options into parity with the default "tetori monk, ragelancepouncebarian, archery ranger" tropes.

Not surprisingly, The book spends significant page count on the Dirty Trick combat maneuver, providing options to make it significantly more viable and interesting. There's even a feat for Swashbucklers (and Amateur Swashbucklers) that makes Dirty Trick pretty good starting from level 1.

Additional attention and love is given to poisoners - casters and mundanes alike - and all are given options to make poisioning... well, less bad. I still think Paizo's unreasonably concerned about making poisoning a valid tactic, but at least now there are a number of options that make poisoning an acceptable, if not optimized choice.

Stealth options are also present in the book, with feats that give rogues a reason to want to crit on their sneak attacks as well as making sniping a more viable strategy.

There are several creative and interesting spells as well. Nothing's too spectacular or "OMG Overpowered", but a number of options continue the book's general theme of making some less-viable character concepts more viable.

As a penultimate note, one particular feat solves a whole host of commonly brought up issues with combat maneuvers. Without getting too detailed, it satisfies many of the more silly prerequisites for combat maneuver feats, as well as lessens the penalty for being untrained in a given combat maneuver. Love the feat, hoping this gets made PFS legal.

Finally, I'd like to call out the Equipment Trick section for providing some genuinely useful equipment tricks - looking at you, Cape and Thieves' Tools. The existing equipment tricks were nothing to write home about, but these you could easily incorporate into any character that would fit the theme.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone who loves making stealth checks, ambushes, combat maneuvers, or who enjoys casting subtle spells. Get this book and help win the table focus back from the boring two-handed strength based types!


101 to 150 of 355 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Feat summary? Spells summary? Any new skill uses?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

Well, I have my pdf!

For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

The other is Wasp Familiar, which allows a worshiper of Calistria of any class to gain a cat-sized wasp as a familiar. It normally has statistics similar to a flying greensting scorpion, but if you could already normally gain a familiar and are at least 5th level, it instead has statistics similar to an imp (with an unnatural lust spell-like ability replacing the invisibility spell-like ability).

Gods I hope this is PFS legal, will tie up two of my bard's feats, but so worth it.


May we please have some information on the poison-related feats?


Table of Contents:

For Your Character ... 2
Introduction ... 4
Contact and Injury Poisons ... 6
Ingested and Inhaled Poisons ... 8
Sneak Attacks ... 10
Ambushes ... 12
Dirty Tricks ... 14
Divine Trickery ... 16
Equipment Tricks ... 18
Tools and Equipment ... 20
Trickster Racial Options ... 22
Magic Armor and Weapons ... 24
Wondrous Items ... 26
Poison Spells ... 28
Dirty Trick Spells ... 30
Next Month! ... 32
Poisons of the Inner Sea ... Inside Front Cover

Feats:

FEATS TYPE PAGE
Ambush Awareness Combat 12
Befuddling Initiative Combat 13
Dastardly Trick Combat, panache 14
Dedicated Adversary Combat 10
Dirty Critical Hit Combat, critical 14
Dirty Disarm Combat 14
Dirty Fighting Combat 14
Dirty Grapple Combat 14
Equipment Trick Combat 18
Expert Sniper Combat 10
Extra Impromptu Sneak Attack Combat 10
Flexible Foe Combat 10
Frightening Ambush Combat 13
Inspired Sneak Attack Combat 11
Kitsune Style Combat, style 15
Kitsune Tricks Combat, style 15
Kitsune Vengeance Combat, style 15
Master Sniper Combat 11
Poison Shot Deed Grit 9
Scurrying Swarmer Combat 23
Sneaking Critical Combat, critical 11
Superior Dirty Trick Combat 15
Terrifying Assault Combat 13
Toxic Spell Metamagic 9
Trick Spell Metamagic 17

other rules options:

OTHER RULES OPTIONS PAGE
Alchemist discovery 7
Armor special abilities 24
Catfolk racial options 22
Dirty trick spells 30
Equipment tricks 18
Gnome racial options 22
Kitsune racial options 23
Magic weapons 25
Poison rage powers 9
Poison spells 28
Ratfolk racial options 23
Tiefling racial options 23
Tools and equipment 20
Weapon special abilities 24
Wondrous items 26

I'll look into specifics, but I copied that straight from the pdf. (I hope that's okay to copy)


poison feats:

- Deep toxin: poison and vital strike interaction - longer duration
- Powerful poisoning: poison and power attack - higher save DC
- Treacherous toxin: poison and sneak attack - higher save DC
- Poison shot deed: poison bullets for your firearm
- Toxic spell: use a poison as additional material component to poison one target of the spell.
- Unseen Poison: may prevent detection of poison in your possession
That's all I found quickly.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The feat 'Dirty Fighting' is worth the entire asking price of this book. I mean, it single-handedly solves one of the massive problems of martials, which is "I need some combination of Int 13, Dex 13, Combat Experise and IUS to qualify for anything cool /sadpandaface". I just really wish this feat makes its way into a hardcover book at later date, because gems like this one are easily to overlook.


spells:

poison spells:
- Drain poison: 3rd level, you take the poison of a creature and put it on a weapon
- Garden of peril: 2nd level, you grow mushrooms that release poisonous spores on your command
- Invigorating poison: 2nd level, the target turns ability damage from a poison into a +4 alchemical bonus
- neutralize poison, greater: 6th level,
- poison breath: 7th level,
- sword to snake: 4th level, makes one item bite the user
- toxic rupture: 3rd level, you make a poisonous creature poison itself
- venomous bite: 2nd level, you make a targets bite poisonous

dirty trick spells:
- blend with surroundings: 1st level,
- body double: 2nd level, make one creature look/sound/smell like an other, causing an attacker to maybe attack the wrong creature
- grasping tentacles: 3rd level, black tentacles but different, causing blinded or deafened or entangled or shaken or sickened.
- grease, greater: 5th level,
- hide weapon: 1st level, hide a weapon in your arm


Gorbacz wrote:
The feat 'Dirty Fighting' is worth the entire asking price of this book. I mean, it single-handedly solves one of the massive problems of martials, which is "I need some combination of Int 13, Dex 13, Combat Experise and IUS to qualify for anything cool /sadpandaface". I just really wish this feat makes its way into a hardcover book at later date, because gems like this one are easily to overlook.

You have not seen this feat in the blog?


Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

Well, I have my pdf!

For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

This one feat turns a ton of Arcane Trickster builds on it's head.

Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
The other is Wasp Familiar, which allows a worshiper of Calistria of any class to gain a cat-sized wasp as a familiar. It normally has statistics similar to a flying greensting scorpion, but if you could already normally gain a familiar and are at least 5th level, it instead has statistics similar to an imp (with an unnatural lust spell-like ability replacing the invisibility spell-like ability).

This gets better and better.

DrSwordopolis wrote:
I can't be too specific with Kitsune Style because at a certain point I may as well just copy-paste the feats. The style focuses on dirty tricks and staying maneuverable. It eventually grants the ability to apply two conditions with one dirty trick maneuver, which is rather nice. I've got a flowing monk who would love to get his hands on it.

And now I know exactly how I'm going to rebuild my Kitsune Vigilante for PFS, assuming that the contents of this book go PFS legal.


Wait what does Greater Grease and Greater Neutralize Poison do? Bad enough I DM spellcasters that spam Grease.


Grease, greater has a greater range and can affect more targets.

Neutralize Poison, greater doesn't have you make a caster level check, and neutralizes poisonous creatures and objects longer.


More racial options? I'd love to hear more about those as well!

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
djones wrote:
This one feat turns a ton of Arcane Trickster builds on it's head.

I was SO happy to see that Luis took my suggestion and wrote up the arcane trickster-helping feat and the multiclass rogue-helping feat for the sneak attack section of the book. :D

DrSwordopolis wrote:
And now I know exactly how I'm going to rebuild my Kitsune Vigilante for PFS, assuming that the contents of this book go PFS legal.

The nice thing about Luis's style feat is that unlike my oracle curse, its available to non-kitsune.

Contributor

QuidEst wrote:
More racial options? I'd love to hear more about those as well!

I've been WAITING for people to ask / talk about that section! WAITING!

Someone, DO THE THING! (Just make sure to do it within the standards and guidelines for previewing that Owen set up. ;-P)

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

The kitsune only oracle curse in this book is super exciting. All 8 magical tail feats by level 8? Yes, please.


Alexander Augunas wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
More racial options? I'd love to hear more about those as well!

I've been WAITING for people to ask / talk about that section! WAITING!

Someone, DO THE THING! (Just make sure to do it within the standards and guidelines for previewing that Owen set up. ;-P)

I would ask... but I already have my pdf ;)

I have to say that I like the new traits and the oracle curse though!


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wait, a Kitune Oracle Curse! Why does no one tell me these things!


What support is there for sniping and/or ranged sneak attacks?

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Kitsune trait and oracle curse let's you get bonus tail feats. Another kitsune trait gives you a disguise bonus.


KitsuneWarlock wrote:
Kitsune trait and oracle curse let's you get bonus tail feats. Another kitsune trait gives you a disguise bonus.

Wow... I love this! Oracle VMC seems good for anything with spare feats. What's the catch on these- the trade off?


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

While I wait for my copy to ship, anyone willing to tell me about poison rage powers and what tieflings get? I'm also curious about the new gear, but don't want to ask for too much...

Also, are any of these new spells antipaladin or mesmerist spells?

And are the poison feats and such compatible with unchained poisons?

Contributor

QuidEst wrote:
KitsuneWarlock wrote:
Kitsune trait and oracle curse let's you get bonus tail feats. Another kitsune trait gives you a disguise bonus.
Wow... I love this! Oracle VMC seems good for anything with spare feats. What's the catch on these- the trade off?

Department of Expectations Management here, the kitsune oracle curse is pretty terrible if you pick it with Variant Multiclass because Oracle VMC doesn't have oracle spellcasting.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Luthorne wrote:
Also, are any of these new spells antipaladin or mesmerist spells?

I'm not looking at my copy at the moment, but Occult Adventures wasn't out when we (the freelancers) wrote Dirty Tactics Toolbox. That isn't to say that there aren't any psychic-equivalent spells in the book since Owen (the all-seeing master of crunch that he is) might have very well added compatibility during development.

Originally, however, this book was slated to come out during the same month as Occult Adventures, so I wouldn't get too hopeful about psychic / occult support.

I can say with 100% certainty that if I had seen Occult Adventures when I wrote the Trickster Races section, the kitsune oracle curse would have specifically granted the oracle possession (and probably greater possession at 15th level) instead of magic jar, since I personally find the possession spells to better worded and more in-line with what Japanese folklore said that the kitsune could do. At the same time, the flavor of using a kitsune star jewel as a soul reciprocal is pretty awesome too, so talk with your GM about it!


Alexander Augunas wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
KitsuneWarlock wrote:
Kitsune trait and oracle curse let's you get bonus tail feats. Another kitsune trait gives you a disguise bonus.
Wow... I love this! Oracle VMC seems good for anything with spare feats. What's the catch on these- the trade off?
Department of Expectations Management here, the kitsune oracle curse is pretty terrible if you pick it with Variant Multiclass because Oracle VMC doesn't have oracle spellcasting.

Thanks! My expectations are content with the racial option, then.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Alexander Augunas wrote:
Luthorne wrote:
Also, are any of these new spells antipaladin or mesmerist spells?

I'm not looking at my copy at the moment, but Occult Adventures wasn't out when we (the freelancers) wrote Dirty Tactics Toolbox. That isn't to say that there aren't any psychic-equivalent spells in the book since Owen (the all-seeing master of crunch that he is) might have very well added compatibility during development.

Originally, however, this book was slated to come out during the same month as Occult Adventures, so I wouldn't get too hopeful about psychic / occult support.

I can say with 100% certainty that if I had seen Occult Adventures when I wrote the Trickster Races section, the kitsune oracle curse would have specifically granted the oracle possession (and probably greater possession at 15th level) instead of magic jar, since I personally find the possession spells to better worded and more in-line with what Japanese folklore said that the kitsune could do. At the same time, the flavor of using a kitsune star jewel as a soul reciprocal is pretty awesome too, so talk with your GM about it!

Yeah, I'm not really expecting any, but figured it can't hurt to ask. And yeah, the possession spells are pretty fun...I like riding possession too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DM Sothal wrote:
** spoiler omitted ** That's all I found quickly.

Those first three feats sound very, very useful for slayer poisoners. I do hope they've got a little something for their rogue and alchemist brethren.

And I just read about the new Kitsune oracle curse. One more reason to 'get this book ASAP'.


so about that monk archetype...

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.


Reckless wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.

That archetype sounds pretty solid, because the monk feats have always been somewhat lackluster. What kind of sneak attack progression does it get?


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

Well, I have my pdf!

For Calistria-specific options, there are two feats.

One is the Trick Spell metamagic feat, that allows you to have single-target enchantment spells also cause the target to attempt to dirty trick itself.

The other is Wasp Familiar, which allows a worshiper of Calistria of any class to gain a cat-sized wasp as a familiar. It normally has statistics similar to a flying greensting scorpion, but if you could already normally gain a familiar and are at least 5th level, it instead has statistics similar to an imp (with an unnatural lust spell-like ability replacing the invisibility spell-like ability).

Great.

Was hoping to see a archetype but that is still nice.

Any added lore (or fluff) about Calistria and/or her followers?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Jinjifra wrote:
Reckless wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.

That archetype sounds pretty solid, because the monk feats have always been somewhat lackluster. What kind of sneak attack progression does it get?

1d6 @ 2nd and +1d6/4 levels after. I should note that it has a rider that you can only use it during a flurry of blows, which... }:(

The accomplished sneak attacker feat allows you to add 1d6 to your sneak attack, but no more dice than half your character level(rounding up.)


Reckless wrote:
Jinjifra wrote:
Reckless wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.

That archetype sounds pretty solid, because the monk feats have always been somewhat lackluster. What kind of sneak attack progression does it get?

1d6 @ 2nd and +1d6/4 levels after. I should note that it has a rider that you can only use it during a flurry of blows, which... }:(

The accomplished sneak attacker feat allows you to add 1d6 to your sneak attack, but no more dice than half your character level(rounding up.)

Oh man, Sandman Bard Arcane Trickster entry five levels early! I love it.


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Extra Impromptu Sneak Attack? I've found my theoretical Arcane Trickster builds to be feat starved due to VMC shenanigans, but that is certainly interesting.

Perhaps Accomplished Sneak Attacker will replace those shenanigans...


Oooooh, are there any new things for Grapplers? How's the Dirty Grapple Combat feat?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Selena Halfblood wrote:
How's the Dirty Grapple Combat feat?

Terrible.

Full Round action, combine grapple and dirty trick using your worst CMB and your opponent's best CMD between the two maneuvers.


QuidEst wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Jinjifra wrote:
Reckless wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.

That archetype sounds pretty solid, because the monk feats have always been somewhat lackluster. What kind of sneak attack progression does it get?

1d6 @ 2nd and +1d6/4 levels after. I should note that it has a rider that you can only use it during a flurry of blows, which... }:(

The accomplished sneak attacker feat allows you to add 1d6 to your sneak attack, but no more dice than half your character level(rounding up.)

Oh man, Sandman Bard Arcane Trickster entry five levels early! I love it.

I didn't think of using that to get early Arcane Trickster.... that is amazing.


Matrix Dragon wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Jinjifra wrote:
Reckless wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
so about that monk archetype...

It adds sneak attack in exchange for a monk's bonus feats, adds some status effects which take place after stunning fist, with a late in the game ki ability to extend these effects, and can use quivering palm to k.o. as well as kill. It includes notes on how to modify Unchained monks with the archetype.

That archetype sounds pretty solid, because the monk feats have always been somewhat lackluster. What kind of sneak attack progression does it get?

1d6 @ 2nd and +1d6/4 levels after. I should note that it has a rider that you can only use it during a flurry of blows, which... }:(

The accomplished sneak attacker feat allows you to add 1d6 to your sneak attack, but no more dice than half your character level(rounding up.)

Oh man, Sandman Bard Arcane Trickster entry five levels early! I love it.
I didn't think of using that to get early Arcane Trickster.... that is amazing.

Yep! Single-class Sandman Bard, or do a one-level dip in anything with SA. Also means that Wizard can start at 5th unless the feat requires level 4 or something.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Selena Halfblood wrote:
Oooooh, are there any new things for Grapplers?

There's a net equipment trick with improved grapple that negates penalty for not using both hands vs an opponent entangled in the net, adds +4 and lets you tie up a pinned opponent as a swift action. That's pretty boss, if a bit niche.


@Reckless: Thanks: that looks nice!
Can't wait for the book to come out. ^^


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Serious shout-outs to those who made Arcane Trickster buffs possible!

Another great thing about this feat is how well it works with VMC for a 0 caster levels lost Arcane Trickster build. Assuming this can be taken before level 4, you can do VMC Rogue Wizard 3/Snakebite Striker Brawler 1 with Accomplished Sneak Attack. Enter Arcane Trickster next level. Then, when you hit level 7 and gain 1d6 Sneak Attack from VMC Rogue, retrain Snakebite Striker into Wizard. You have a Wizard 4/Arcane Trickster 3 with 3d6 Sneak Attack.

I think there may be a level when the VMC Rogue + Arcane Trickster + Accomplished Sneak Attack cause Accomplished Sneak Attack to no longer function, but it will regain usefulness once you put some more levels into Wizard.

EDIT: Anyone mind sharing the prereqs for Accomplished Sneak Attacker? That way I can shatter my hopes and dreams when I see they are too high for this combo.

Paizo Employee Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Xethik wrote:

Serious shout-outs to those who made Arcane Trickster buffs possible!

Another great thing about this feat is how well it works with VMC for a 0 caster levels lost Arcane Trickster build. Assuming this can be taken before level 4, you can do VMC Rogue Wizard 3/Snakebite Striker Brawler 1 with Accomplished Sneak Attack. Enter Arcane Trickster next level. Then, when you hit level 7 and gain 1d6 Sneak Attack from VMC Rogue, retrain Snakebite Striker into Wizard. You have a Wizard 4/Arcane Trickster 3 with 3d6 Sneak Attack.

I think there may be a level when the VMC Rogue + Arcane Trickster + Accomplished Sneak Attack cause Accomplished Sneak Attack to no longer function, but it will regain usefulness once you put some more levels into Wizard.

EDIT: Anyone mind sharing the prereqs for Accomplished Sneak Attacker? That way I can shatter my hopes and dreams when I see they are too high for this combo.

I wrote the section, but the true shout-out should go to Alex Augunas. It was his suggestion that some Arcane Trickster love would be appreciated.

As for Accomplished Sneak Attacker, its only prerequisite is the sneak attack class feature.

Grand Lodge

Does Accomplished Sneak Attacker bump the Sandman Bard to #1 entry for Arcane Trickster or is Snakebite Striker 1 / Wizard 3 still the better option (along with Magical Knack)?

If the Monk archetype gains Sneak Attack at lvl 1, and works with Unchained Monk at lvl 1, would Unchained (dirty fighting archetype) Monk 1/ Empyreal Sorcerer 4 possibly be a stronger option?

edit: I just noticed the post saying that monks get SA at lvl 2 and has a FoB rider attached. Boo


Reckless wrote:
Selena Halfblood wrote:
How's the Dirty Grapple Combat feat?

Terrible.

Full Round action, combine grapple and dirty trick using your worst CMB and your opponent's best CMD between the two maneuvers.

Wait, what...? Shouldn't that be using your BEST CMB against the opponent's WORST CMD between the two maneuvers? This feat is terrible...wow.


I haven't had this much excitement for a book in a long time.

Is there any Slayer specific stuff? (talents especially)?

From the previews it looks like not, which may be the only thing I wish this book also had.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Can I get details on the Kitsune Curse?


Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thank you to both you Luis and Alex! Reading comprehension probably would have helped me figure out who to thank earlier. :)

London Duke wrote:

Does Accomplished Sneak Attacker bump the Sandman Bard to #1 entry for Arcane Trickster or is Snakebite Striker 1 / Wizard 3 still the better option (along with Magical Knack)?

If the Monk archetype gains Sneak Attack at lvl 1, and works with Unchained Monk at lvl 1, would Unchained (dirty fighting archetype) Monk 1/ Empyreal Sorcerer 4 possibly be a stronger option?

edit: I just noticed the post saying that monks get SA at lvl 2 and has a FoB rider attached. Boo

I would say Snakebite/Wizard 3. You get in a level sooner and you have access to a better spell list. 9th level spells > 6th level Bard spells, even if you drop a spellcaster level for a martial dip. Bonus points if you do retraining shenanigans as I mentioned above, but I think the Wizard option is still stronger without that 'cheese'.

That being said, the Bard option is by no means terrible. You just lose/delay access to a lot of cool Bard goodies, where a Wizard gives up little between school powers and bonus feats. It's a super cool option and you have some spells the Wizard will never be able to snag.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Mythraine wrote:


Is there any Slayer specific stuff? (talents especially)?

The only slayer talent notes I saw were for Catfolk, who get to use the following rogue talents from the advanced race guide as slayer talents using their slayer level for any effect referencing rogue levels: deadly scratch, graceful faller, nimble climber, or vicious claws.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
zergtitan wrote:
Can I get details on the Kitsune Curse?

You increase the duration of sickened, poisoned, and nauseated by 50% and substitute in magical tails for mystery spells (doesn't play nice with archetypes that also replace mystery spells), gaining a selected list of spells known (minor image, ventriloquism, magic jar, project image)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What are the Ambush Awareness, Expert Sniper, Inspired Sneak Attack, Master Sniper Combat, Sneaking Critical, and Terrifying Assault feats like?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Geramies wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Selena Halfblood wrote:
How's the Dirty Grapple Combat feat?

Terrible.

Full Round action, combine grapple and dirty trick using your worst CMB and your opponent's best CMD between the two maneuvers.

Wait, what...? Shouldn't that be using your BEST CMB against the opponent's WORST CMD between the two maneuvers? This feat is terrible...wow.

Wait -- can you normally do a grapple and a dirty trick in one turn without this feat? If not, then how is this feat terrible?

101 to 150 of 355 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Dirty Tactics Toolbox (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.