Pathfinder Adventure Path #91: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill (Giantslayer 1 of 6) (PFRPG)

3.90/5 (based on 9 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #91: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill (Giantslayer 1 of 6) (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $22.99 $11.49

Add PDF $15.99

Add Non-Mint $22.99 $17.24

Facebook Twitter Email

Enemy at the Gates!

The Giantslayer Adventure Path begins! In the human town of Trunau, a beleaguered settlement surrounded by the brutal orcs of the Hold of Belkzen, the heroes must investigate a mysterious death. Before they uncover the truth, however, Trunau comes under attack by an orc army, and the heroes must help defend it—only to discover that the situation is worse than anyone realizes. For even the fearsome orc raid is just a distraction allowing a giant chieftain to recover the relics of an ancient giant hero from a tomb long forgotten beneath the town.

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path begins the Giantslayer Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Battle of Bloodmarch Hill," a Pathfinder adventure for 1st-level characters, by Patrick Renie.
  • A collection of lore on the behavior of giants, Golarion's largest humanoids, by David Schwartz.
  • A giant bag of feats, spells, equipment, and other rules tailored specifically for giants, by Stephen Radney-MacFarland.
  • An unfortunate gnome's encounter with an ogre family in the Pathfinder's Journal, by Richard Pett.
  • A pack of dangerous monsters, by Tyler Beck, Adam Daigle, and Patrick Renie.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-725-3

"Battle of Bloodmarch Hill" is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure Path and Chronicle sheet are available as a free download (1.1 MB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9091


See Also:

6 to 9 of 9 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.90/5 (based on 9 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

3 stars for how my GM ran it, but 4 stars because I know it could be awesome

4/5

So first, I want to agree & disagree with Matt Baker's review, right before this review.

Regarding the artwork, Matt is correct. On this cover, I stared at it for a while trying to figure out if the featured enemy on the cover had bone armor on. It took me a while to puzzle out that the bones were an unrelated background scene. I also couldn't figure out what the flying humanoid was -- I thought his shoulder was his head, so it took me a while to find the face and realize it was probably a leaping dwarf. On the 2nd module cover, the same issue happens -- the background scene is just... unrelated to the fat giant on the cover, so it's difficult to discern what's going on. This artwork problem is not doing the modules justice.

Having said that, I do not mind that the artist (or the art director who guided the artist) has envisioned giants as creepy mutilated freaks. In fact I like it.

Now, one thing to cover that was mentioned in the product discussion (but not yet here in the reviews) is that there is a 100% TPK moment in this module. Here, let me explain:

Spoiler:
There is a scene with 4 rogue assassins. They "stealth in" while the PCs are asleep at an inn (DC 25 to hear it, so most characters will remain asleep and oblivious). The author seems to have them all attack a single character at a time and use their "Gang Up" feat to ensure that each one gets sneak damage. Even if you don't have them do coup de grace attacks, that's 8d6 damage + 8, against sleeping 1st-level characters. They can't survive that unless you roll all 1s or missed -- but how likely are you to miss sleeping, probably unarmored characters? If you use coup de grace rules, it states that the attack is an automatic hit AND is a critical hit. So this is just ridiculous. If you play this out by the book, almost every Giantslayer campaign should end here, with, "The giants win. The end."

So it's going to be up to you as a GM to stop this stupidly unbalanced encounter, without blatantly nerfing it. There are ways. When the main NPC is murdered and the PCs begin their murder investigation, you can easily have many NPCs say things like they wonder who will be murdered next, and maybe that they feel the inn is no longer a safe place to be, and so on. The halfling innkeeper, Cham, can also freak out about the unknown stranger in her inn. If you added something about a key missing or something, it might fool the players into fearing that the murderer might come back. So there are ways to make the players feel like they need to post a watch at the inn, even if they normally wouldn't give it a second thought. Or, in my own case, I just allowed the Pathfinder system for hero points into the game, and gave them a whopping 1 hero point each. Every single player used their point to avert disaster.

...So even the best team may be dead before the half way mark, and if you have players who put all their time into their character creation only to have to create new ones almost right away, well that may earn you some sour, unhappy players. So watch out for that.

Other than that, the module is fun. My GM flew through encounters and railroaded the entire 2nd half (the town defense), but I could tell instantly that it was supposed to be a wide-open tension-filled scene with lots of things for the characters to tackle, in ANY order. So that's how I came at it when I ran it -- a desperate race to solve problems before they all blew up in the PCs' faces. Also, there is plenty of room in the module for fun NPCs, interesting ties to the community, etc.


Great Start

4/5

This adventure is fun to run and play in. My only complaint is the cover art in this series. Read on to see a much more detailed account of why I feel that way. But first the story.

The story and the town feel real and the characters and mystery are motivating. I alter things as I go that do not seem to fit and add a few as well. I always can tell a good adventure path when enough backstory has been done to allow my own imagination to run with it. I added several ideas that allowed the characters to become even more connected to the town and its future. They now care about the place and see it as their adopted home.

My only complaint is the cover art. Jesper Ejsing is an amazing artist, and technically is fantastic. I am not sure if it is the art director or Jasper but I literally have a hard time figuring out what is going on in these background action images for this series. The rest of Jasper's art on line is much more accessible visually.

I am not sure what Paizo is doing but this continues in the rest of the series as it goes on. It is very disappointing. I run a good art school and I am usually very impressed with Jasper's work, but although it is technically perfect as always, in this series, it is often visually just overcrowded and sometimes downright macabre or demented in the way the giants are presented. I do not get it. In so much of the rest of Jasper's work there is a subtle nobility and depth to the figures, as if they are being treated with respect. Strange as it sounds, it just feels like the images and the way they are being laid out do not respect the characters or enemies in the story line. I know, it sounds strange, but look at the rest of Jasper's work on line and you will see the difference. It has to do with how the people are portrayed and the way to is staged.

I would suggest a difference approach in the future. Too much "action" in a scene does not make it exciting, it just makes it busy and inaccessible. And too much ugly demented looking enemies is a real turn off. I mean, I always thought giants were humanoids, not inbred freak shows like the ogres.

The worst cover is the next one in the series with the hideous looking female hill giant chief. The next worst is the Ice tomb of the Giant Queen in which I literally cannot figure out what the hell is going on in the background other than some kind of upside-down battle. And because of the demented nature of the other giants on the other covers I did not even know the Queen was supposed to be undead. She just looks messed up.

I hope future covers are a little more tame or balanced in some fashion and less confusing. It seems a waste of Jasper's remarkable talent to assemble poorly balanced macabre works in what could have been inviting and inspiring images like almost everything else he has done.


A Solid Start - But A Bit Disjointed

4/5

The adventure is a combination of a well-written mystery and a dramatic battle sequence that kicks off the overall campaign. Both are strong sections and worth playing; however they do not link together as tightly as one would hope.

The first half of the adventure is a well-written mystery. There are ample leads and clues that the PCs can independently follow, and there's no linear progression required. The NPCs encountered are well-fleshed out, interesting, and engaging. Characters are rewarded for following clues, and not just combat or brute force.

The second half is a tense battlefield. This is a bit more linear than the mystery, but players can move through it, fight their skirmishes, and affect the outcome of the fight on their own terms. It is written as an ongoing battle, and presents more choices than the PCs simply getting orders from NPCs and rushing from fight to fight. There are even non-combat interactions available, if the PCs pursue them.

The real problem is that regardless of the outcome of the player's investigation, the battle will play out in much the same fashion. The switch between the two will likely feel a bit jarring. This section of the adventure may need to be reworked to be a bit more natural, which can be frustrating. This would be the main downside of the adventure.

One modest complaint is that information about the town is found in several other sources. Nothing critical is lacking from this book, and other information is available in the free player's guide, but it still is referenced in the adventure itself as useful information.

Overall, this is a strong start to a campaign that has a "classic" feel and will likely engage PCs in the area and the story.


A great start with some memorable battles!

4/5

THE GOOD:
Very detailed starting town.
A good mystery with great research options.
Cool battles with diverse enemies.
Lots of useful stuff can be found.
An incredibly good feats section for giants and strong (large) characters.

THE BAD:
The order of battles is not always logical - players will do other things sometimes. Lighting the beacons is illogical in the end.
Very hard in some cases.
A few variant animals of Belkzen and undead vermin - nothing awesome.

THE UGLY:
Some prerequisites for the new feats are wrong/they are not of the right type.
The spell "beanstalk" should also be a druid spell.
The time between this first installment of the campaign and issue 2 is 9 weeks/63 days due to the port strikes.

A very solid beginning that is very different from Rise of the Runelords and Attack on Titan (in a good way)!


6 to 9 of 9 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 293 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

12 people marked this as a favorite.

All I know is that my children and other younger players haven't ran through against the giants, or the pharoah series, or the temple of elemental evil. They haven't done many of these but they have played some of paizo's homages to them.

And I have a feeling in 30 years time those younger players will be setting around saying the same things about some of paizo's classic adventures vs the new stuff.

All I know is I'm stoked to be able to have my kids play giantslayer so they can have a similar set of experiences as I had all those years ago.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Well, that would be only the 53829th campaign about stopping an army of monstrous creatures published so far for D&D. Not counting other fantasy RPG games. I mean, maybe if this campaign was about playing an orc tribe and getting to pillage, burn and rape innocent villagers, I could get interested. Otherwise, not much.

While nothing in this AP excites me very much so far from what I've heard, Pazio is exceedingly good at taking "classic D&D" concepts and making devilishly good APs out of them - see Rise of the Runelords and Shattered Stars. When they are not busy experimenting (which sometimes leads to awesome stuff like Reign of Winter), Pazio knows to deliver perfect executions of good ol' fashioned stories. Since I am too young to have gone through against the giants, I don't mind seeing this kind of AP.


I *really* hope that Giantslayer ends up dealing with the Runelord of Gluttony, Zutha. ^_____^


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Turin the Mad wrote:
I *really* hope that Giantslayer ends up dealing with the Runelord of Gluttony, Zutha. ^_____^

Repeating what was said at Paizocon and Gencon, No Runelords in Giantslayer.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:

For the record, Hells Rebels looks cool. Classic Golarion themes, canon heavy, so many loose lore threads to tie up. Also, a ball.

Giantslayer, on the other hands, sounds like a forced effort to placate all those ultra-conservatives who are throwing their arms up because Iron Gods. I fully expect stuff like "this 10 by 20 room has 3d6 frost giants and 1d6 t-rexes".

And I am and will be a vehement enemy of fiction in APs. ;)

Or it could be something along the lines of the extremely popular "Attack on Titan" anime. Or that movie "Jack the Giant Slayer". Or a mix of the two. I mean, I know many players who love the idea of tackling multiple humungous creatures because it's cool and fun.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Barachiel Shina wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:

For the record, Hells Rebels looks cool. Classic Golarion themes, canon heavy, so many loose lore threads to tie up. Also, a ball.

Giantslayer, on the other hands, sounds like a forced effort to placate all those ultra-conservatives who are throwing their arms up because Iron Gods. I fully expect stuff like "this 10 by 20 room has 3d6 frost giants and 1d6 t-rexes".

And I am and will be a vehement enemy of fiction in APs. ;)

Or it could be something along the lines of the extremely popular "Attack on Titan" anime. Or that movie "Jack the Giant Slayer". Or a mix of the two. I mean, I know many players who love the idea of tackling multiple humungous creatures because it's cool and fun.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Heroes love slaying giants :)


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If there isn't an NPC giant slayer named Jack I will be disappointed in the missed opportunity.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Is jack going to be a bean stock merchant?


I wonder how well an Orc PC would fit into this adventure...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
Of course, I won't cancel my sub because I can always scavenge the AP for statblocks, maps, monsters and support articles. The beauty of Paizo APs is that you can always use the content even if the AP itself is not to your tastes.

Somehow I find it funny to see you complaining, with you being the one that usually makes fun of other people's complaining about APs :)

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Zaister wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Of course, I won't cancel my sub because I can always scavenge the AP for statblocks, maps, monsters and support articles. The beauty of Paizo APs is that you can always use the content even if the AP itself is not to your tastes.
Somehow I find it funny to see you complaining, with you being the one that usually makes fun of other people's complaining about APs :)

They can make fun of me, no probs.

Of course, they won't be as funny ;)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Dear Paizo:

Please say you'll make a miniatures line. I would buy two cases of miniatures thematically based on Orcs and Giants. Those monsters have to be some of the broadest-spanning iconic foes for the fantasy RPG.

Furthermore, any group utilizing Enlarge Person or Righteous Might always needs large and huge figures to represent their beefed-up meat shields.

Finally. As a GM I love to give things like giants class levels, as it totally revamps encounters. If this is the thrust of the thrust of the Monster Codex, a companion miniatures line would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for making products we love! (ipso facto, thanks for being sticklers for quality)

Ben

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Odraude wrote:

Man, sure are a lot of people channeling Sincubus in here :p

AP seems like it'll be interesting but I'd like to know more about it.

ORCS WITH AXES! DESTROYING MY PRECIOUS ROBOTZ WITH LAZORS!!! I'M ABOUT TO FAINT, YOU BRUTAL TOLKIENISTS!!!

You've been drinking Set's potions again, haven't you, Bagsy? ;P

Silver Crusade

Axial wrote:
I wonder how well an Orc PC would fit into this adventure...

:)

Spoiler:
The only thing I can say for certain right now is:

Check out the Trunau entry in Towns of the Inner Sea.

Do take note of the first impression that would seem to imply "no", but then take a closer look, specifically at Halgra of the Black Blades.

And that's just one possible hook. :)


Mikaze wrote:
Axial wrote:
I wonder how well an Orc PC would fit into this adventure...

:)

** spoiler omitted **

There's also that one good-aligned Orc tribe that they hired you to write up. :)


Aren't ogres classified as giants for purposes of favored enemy and such? Bring back Mammy Graul!


I am not very hyped for this AP (but i am for Hell's Rebels) mainly because i fear it will be more like Shattered Star and less like RotRL, and while i loved RotRL when i ran it; when i ran Shattered Star i ended up dissapointed.


I am much more excited for this one then I am for the hell's rebels.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Most excited for Giantslayer! I've had a soft spot for Giants ever since I first played 'Steading of the Hill Giant Chief' as a kid. Can't wait to share that kind of fun with my sons, and we all know Paizo has got the homage down -- this should be great!

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32

Really looking forward to this one - orcs, giants and dragons? It's been a while since we did the classics :-)
Plus, the Fire Giant volcano training camp sounds wicked! Any idea who's writing that one yet?


Looking forward to this as well.


Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.


Pendagast wrote:
Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.

Might I interest you in the Redeemer's path? It has roots amongst half-orcs, I believe.


Liath Samathran wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.
Might I interest you in the Redeemer's path? It has roots amongst half-orcs, I believe.

Im thinking more along the lines of a human with the racial heritage feat who picks up power attack, cleave and all the goblin/orc/giant related feat string.

It'd almost be better as a mobile fighter, with dodge, mobility, running around with panther style and triggering AoOs and then bounce off of that for the dwarf racial feats.

Crowd control? who needs crowd control? what crowd? I just ran by them all, and then fell over.

Ive always wanted to build that character.

would make a good dwarven emissary too.
I was just thinking paladin because everything is going to be evil, lol

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Pendagast wrote:
Liath Samathran wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.
Might I interest you in the Redeemer's path? It has roots amongst half-orcs, I believe.

Im thinking more along the lines of a human with the racial heritage feat who picks up power attack, cleave and all the goblin/orc/giant related feat string.

It'd almost be better as a mobile fighter, with dodge, mobility, running around with panther style and triggering AoOs and then bounce off of that for the dwarf racial feats.

Crowd control? who needs crowd control? what crowd? I just ran by them all, and then fell over.

Ive always wanted to build that character.

would make a good dwarven emissary too.
I was just thinking paladin because everything is going to be evil, lol

And you come to that conclusion, how?


Rysky wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Liath Samathran wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.
Might I interest you in the Redeemer's path? It has roots amongst half-orcs, I believe.

Im thinking more along the lines of a human with the racial heritage feat who picks up power attack, cleave and all the goblin/orc/giant related feat string.

It'd almost be better as a mobile fighter, with dodge, mobility, running around with panther style and triggering AoOs and then bounce off of that for the dwarf racial feats.

Crowd control? who needs crowd control? what crowd? I just ran by them all, and then fell over.

Ive always wanted to build that character.

would make a good dwarven emissary too.
I was just thinking paladin because everything is going to be evil, lol

And you come to that conclusion, how?

there aren't very many grey areas in a classically themed bad guy, giants want to take over the world AP. Hence it's appeal to some.

Vs. a campaign like Iron Gods where a lot of the talents of the Paladin aren't going to be constantly handy against robots, they will be almost always so, in an AP with marauding orcs slaying villagers and giants bent on world domination.
If they were benevolent good aligned giants, there wouldn't be an AP.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Pendagast wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Liath Samathran wrote:
Pendagast wrote:
Sounds Like an AP to play Paladin in…. what power can I trade for detect evil, I won't NEED that ability.
Might I interest you in the Redeemer's path? It has roots amongst half-orcs, I believe.

Im thinking more along the lines of a human with the racial heritage feat who picks up power attack, cleave and all the goblin/orc/giant related feat string.

It'd almost be better as a mobile fighter, with dodge, mobility, running around with panther style and triggering AoOs and then bounce off of that for the dwarf racial feats.

Crowd control? who needs crowd control? what crowd? I just ran by them all, and then fell over.

Ive always wanted to build that character.

would make a good dwarven emissary too.
I was just thinking paladin because everything is going to be evil, lol

And you come to that conclusion, how?

there aren't very many grey areas in a classically themed bad guy, giants want to take over the world AP. Hence it's appeal to some.

Vs. a campaign like Iron Gods where a lot of the talents of the Paladin aren't going to be constantly handy against robots, they will be almost always so, in an AP with marauding orcs slaying villagers and giants bent on world domination.
If they were benevolent good aligned giants, there wouldn't be an AP.

Even in a classically themed AP I highly doubt Paizo will give players Carte Blanche to play murderhobos, they have a little bit more tact than that.


Is anyone else but me hoping we'll get to see a CN Female Frost Giant Druid (Arctic Druid) of Thremyr in this adventure? I'm hungry for some giant variants (possible of different alignment than usual).


Instead of asking the same bothersome (lol) question of who the iconics are for this AP.I just want to know who the new iconic is. The one that hasn't been in an adventure path yet. If anyone knows :)

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Harsk is a must (giants). Either Imrijka or Oloch for the Orcish tie. Alain since it's war-related? Then we need arcane. Maybe debut Enora to cover arcane duties, though I suppose you could make a case for any of the other now seven options, Ezren, Seoni, Feiya, Damiel, Seltiyel, Balazar, or even Lem.


Nick O'Connell wrote:
Instead of asking the same bothersome (lol) question of who the iconics are for this AP.I just want to know who the new iconic is. The one that hasn't been in an adventure path yet. If anyone knows :)

It's got to be Kess. An AP about Giantslaying is just begging for a picture of her using Awesome Blow to knock a 20 foot tall Cloud Giant off its feet.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Nick O'Connell wrote:
Instead of asking the same bothersome (lol) question of who the iconics are for this AP.I just want to know who the new iconic is. The one that hasn't been in an adventure path yet. If anyone knows :)
It's got to be Kess. An AP about Giantslaying is just begging for a picture of her using Awesome Blow to knock a 20 foot tall Cloud Giant off its feet.

Don't forget suplexing!


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Alright so Kess, Oloch, and Harsk. who else? Enora? Lem?


Axial wrote:


There's also that one good-aligned Orc tribe that they hired you to write up. :)

I missed that one.. where do I have to look?


Mikaze wrote:
Axial wrote:
I wonder how well an Orc PC would fit into this adventure...

:)

** spoiler omitted **

Not sure if this is spoilish or not but...

:
the PathfinderWiki entry for Trunau (btw, how do you pronounce this?) had some interesting demographics:

620 humans, 50 halflings, 40 half-orcs, 20 dwarves, 15 half-elves, 10 gnomes, 25 other.

So twice as many Haf-Orcs as Dwarves. And 25 possible Special Snowflakes, at least one of which I'm guessing could be a full-blooded Orc.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
zergtitan wrote:
Turin the Mad wrote:
I *really* hope that Giantslayer ends up dealing with the Runelord of Gluttony, Zutha. ^_____^
Repeating what was said at Paizocon and Gencon, No Runelords in Giantslayer.

I'm sure somebody will come up with some fan-made tie-in! Otherwise, there's always the Continuing the Campaign part where this could fit in.

Oh, and add Svathurim to the fun!

Ruyan.

Grand Lodge

Congratulations to Pat Renie for getting his break into the AP Authors Club!
I was pleased with 'Wardens' and I'm anxious to see what you do with this one!

No pressure.

Don't F it up my friend!

The last time we hung out in SF, I told you that we needed to find a good excuse to have you as a guest on the podcast. [Achievement Unlocked]

Paizo Employee Developer

DungeonMastering.com wrote:
... the PathfinderWiki entry for Trunau (btw, how do you pronounce this?)...

"Trunau" rhymes with "True Now."


I went and checked my copy of Runelords to make sure but isn't that the art for Conna on the cover?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Can't wait! I've been looking forward to this one.

FWIW, Iron Gods is awesome as well. However, I think those bemoaning a return to "classic" tropes are forgetting - or perhaps ignoring - that for players new to the hobby these aren't "classic", they're new. I run a campaign for a bunch of 14-yr olds and none of them have heard of, much less played, Against the Giants.

And given my newfound love of orc-slaying thanks to Shadows of Mordor, hell yeah, bring on the orcs. (Tolkein or otherwise.)

Paizo Employee Senior Developer

Kennesty wrote:
I went and checked my copy of Runelords to make sure but isn't that the art for Conna on the cover?

That's a mock-up cover. The final cover will look completely different, have all new art, and no stone giants on it. :)


RuyanVe wrote:
zergtitan wrote:
Turin the Mad wrote:
I *really* hope that Giantslayer ends up dealing with the Runelord of Gluttony, Zutha. ^_____^
Repeating what was said at Paizocon and Gencon, No Runelords in Giantslayer.

I'm sure somebody will come up with some fan-made tie-in! Otherwise, there's always the Continuing the Campaign part where this could fit in.

Oh, and add Svathurim to the fun!

Ruyan.

The "continuing the campaign" is my guess at this point. Zutha, to me, has the most currently interesting method of coming back from being very dead of all the Runelords. Namely, "those gullible Muppets!" (PCs) could/should be the very reason for his return.

Hrmmmmm ....

Grand Lodge Contributor

Will any of the residents of Trunau named in Towns of the Inner Sea be statted-up in this?

Paizo Employee Developer

That would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it? ;)

Paizo Employee Senior Developer

Many of the residents of Trunau make an appearance in the adventure, but as they are not meant to be foes, they are not statted up. However, there are some residents of Trunau *not* mentioned* in the article that *are* statted up! :)

Grand Lodge Contributor

YAY! *starts wildly statting NPCs*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sounds like a great AP. Looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure Paizo knows how to make 'classic' interesting and fresh.


Dosgamer wrote:
My group and I are very stoked for this AP. We're wrapping up Carrion Crown (it has only taken us 3 years come January, which is about when we will wrap it up most likely) and can probably jump right into Giantslayer!

We are exactly the same. Started Carrion Crown just before my Third daughter was born, she is now nearly 2 and a half. We play once a month and have just started book 6, so looking at finishing in Feb

My eldest daughter is very keen to play and Giantslayer path looks like a good intro to roleplaying for her. She will be 9 and a half by the time we start and going on carrion crown experience, 12 and a half when we finish (that is a scary thought)

Of course it depends on what my group wants to play

Taffy


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Rysky wrote:


Don't forget suplexing!

Whoa, there's going to be trains in this AP?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have been wanting trains for a long time. They gave us space ships, lasers, robots, clockworks, alchemy, etc. but for some reason they don't want trains in there world.

51 to 100 of 293 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #91: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill (Giantslayer 1 of 6) (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.