Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Strategy Guide (OGL)

4.20/5 (based on 13 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Strategy Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $29.99 $14.99

Add PDF $9.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Master the Game!

Unlock the secrets of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game! Whether you’re a new player eager to jump into the action or an experienced roleplayer looking for insights and a convenient teaching tool, this 160-page guide is your new advisor at the gaming table. Unsure which feat to choose or spell to prepare? Detailed walkthroughs of all 11 core classes help you create and customize exactly the characters you want to play, and continue to offer advice as you take your adventurers all the way to the heights of power. At the same time, this book provides a quick and easy introduction to combat and advanced rules options, tips for battlefield domination and better roleplaying, and more!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Strategy Guide is an indispensable introduction to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and companion to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 15 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into a new era.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Strategy Guide includes:

  • Illustrated, step-by-step guides to creating, advancing, and playing characters of all 11 core classes, with specific tips and tactics for 26 different classic character themes, such as the archer, the trickster, the crusader, the conjurer, and more!
  • A clear and user-friendly introduction to the basics of combat and narrative play, with easy-to- understand explanations of Pathfinder RPG terminology, systems, and core concepts.
  • Advice for getting the most out of game sessions, collaborating with other players, and succeeding both on and off the battlefield.
  • An overview of how to get started in the Pathfinder Society organized play program.
  • AND MUCH, MUCH MORE!

Written by Wolfgang Baur, Jason Bulmahn, John Compton, Jessica Price, Sean K Reynolds, and Russ Taylor.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-626-3

Note: This product is not part of any subscription, but Pathfinder Roleplaying Game subscribers who preorder this set will receive a free PDF edition of this product when the print edition ships. (Note that you will need to have an active Pathfinder RPG subscription at the time this product ships in order to receive the PDF for free.)

Note: This product was originally solicited for a June 2014 release. In order to ensure that it is the best book it can possibly be, we've decided to move the book to a February 2015 release. We appreciate your patience.

Note: Due to circumstances outside of our control, this product has been moved to the March 2015 product schedule. We appreciate your patience.

Additional Product Images


(click to enlarge)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Strategy Guide (OGL)

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1128


See Also:

1 to 5 of 13 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.20/5 (based on 13 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Perfect for new players

5/5

I tend to run a lot of games to introduce players who are new to RPGs to Pathfinder, a lot pick it up quickly but for some it can take longer, there is no better book for all of them than the Strategy Guide. I'm frankly amazed how well it's written, it's basically the Core Rulebook for new players in a far, faaaar more easily digestible format.

Every new player I've sat down with this book has come out of it with not only a solid character that actually fits the idea they had, but a much better grasp of the rules than those who don't, it's my go-to now for any new players.


Should have been the basis for an updated Core Rulebook

4/5

Page 5 'What this book isn't' tells you what you need to know about this book. To paraphrase, there are 2 main points:

1) This is not an optimisation guide for advanced (or even intermediate) players.

2) This book doesn't replace the core rules : it's a player's guide to them.

Fundamentally, the book brings the Pathfinder Beginner Box style of presentation & organisation to the full (core rulebook only) Pathfinder RPG.

The Pathfinder Beginner Box showed how much more concise and readable the same basic game could be made & showed up how wordy & non-visual the Core Rulebook is.

Unfortunately, Paizo haven't quite had the courage of their conviction to use this as the basis of a new Core Rules but instead have hedged their bets and made it basically a Player's Guide to the Core Rules - That's right a Player's Guide to the actual Player's guide !

Nevertheless - it's a really well presented guide to the 'Core 11' classes for a beginner. It's also very useful for experienced players stepping into a new type of class or a DM making NPCs for a class they don't normally play.


Great for New Players, Great for New to a Class

5/5

I picked this up out of curiosity, and as I'm bring in new players they are finding this a good resource for coming up with ideas for characters while understanding the change from 3.5 to Pathfinder. It's not just "I've never RPed" it's a good reference for "Oh, that changed to these names" type of resources.
I've pulled it up on occasion after being in a group that players had specific preferences for classes when I was branching out to new classes and wanted to get a good feel for ideal builds. I may not have stayed with all their choices but it's a good framework for ideas.


2/5


Great resource for new players!

5/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

The Strategy Guide is a great resource for introducing players to the full Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, whether they are coming from the Beginner Box, have played a few times before but are still confused about elements of the rules, or are jumping straight into the game with no prior experience. While you will still need the Core Rulebook to play the game, this book is far less intimidating than that heftier tome, and succeeds at explaining the game far, far better. It's a book I'm proud to have on my shelf and I will be eagerly lending it out to new players who join my games in the future.


1 to 5 of 13 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
401 to 450 of 644 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

As a GM that regularly recruits new players this will be a good book to keep around. I don´t know how often i have had to explain Channel energy and Rage and somesuch abilities to a new guy and having this book to do it for me even just for a little while while I stat out a character I realised I unexpectedly need for the next encounter.

Theres also a veteran I know that suffers from "tactical retardedness" (He came up with the description himself) that might find a strategy chapter useful.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wowzers. I ordered this in 2013.
Didn't expect to be getting my preorder in 2015.
I'm expecting it to be very well organized after so many delays. If it's filled with errata it'll be my last preorder.

Silver Crusade

CorallineAlgae wrote:

Wowzers. I ordered this in 2013.

Didn't expect to be getting my preorder in 2015.
I'm expecting it to be very well organized after so many delays. If it's filled with errata it'll be my last preorder.

Due to the nature of this latest delay, it can't really effect the contents of the book - the book's already been sent to the printer, and if they take advantage of the free reprint to try and change the order, I doubt it'll be a free reprint anymore.

I agree about the original delay from June to December, though. Don't know what caused that.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:

With this one I'm going to wait until they say it's shipping from their warehouse.

It's still possible for there to be a very localised earthquake opening up a wormhole underneath the books and transporting them into a vault in the depths of Old Seattle where they can only be recovered after the adventuring party of Lisa Stevens, Vic Wertz, Erik Mona, and (for some reason beyond human understanding) Vin Diesel and Taylor Swift has gone on a long quest in the abandoned depths, fighting off sewer crocodiles, lost bridge trolls, even more lost bridge clubs gone feral, and (of course) the secret Chinese invasion force that's been tunneling its way below the Pacific Ocean since the Korean War.

We do still expect to have it in time for the February shipment. There are still ongoing delays from dockworker strikes up and down the West Coast, though, so there's plenty of opportunities for us to be foiled again!

But between Vin's STR of 16 and Taylor's CHA of 21, we can solve any problem.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Kajehase wrote:

With this one I'm going to wait until they say it's shipping from their warehouse.

It's still possible for there to be a very localised earthquake opening up a wormhole underneath the books and transporting them into a vault in the depths of Old Seattle where they can only be recovered after the adventuring party of Lisa Stevens, Vic Wertz, Erik Mona, and (for some reason beyond human understanding) Vin Diesel and Taylor Swift has gone on a long quest in the abandoned depths, fighting off sewer crocodiles, lost bridge trolls, even more lost bridge clubs gone feral, and (of course) the secret Chinese invasion force that's been tunneling its way below the Pacific Ocean since the Korean War.

We do still expect to have it in time for the February shipment. There are still ongoing delays from dockworker strikes up and down the West Coast, though, so there's plenty of opportunities for us to be foiled again!

But between Vin's STR of 16 and Taylor's CHA of 21, we can solve any problem.

What class lvl are Vin and Taylor

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Taylor is definitely a bard with mythic tiers. Calculating her bard levels, she demonstrated Deadly Performance at the American Music Awards, so that makes her 20th level. For mythic, well, Fearless is a third-tier ability, and she's clearly had that since 2008... I'd say she has Unstoppable, but probably not yet Immortal, so she must have 8 mythic tiers.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Why are the PDFs also being delayed too?

Silver Crusade

Azouth wrote:
Why are the PDFs also being delayed too?

Because if they sell the PDFs early, they'll undercut sales of the physical book and piss off all their retailers.


It's been at least a week since the release of this one has been pushed back. So, I'm taking that as a good sign. ;-)


Can we get another sneak image? Febraury seems so distant. Please Vic

Project Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Yup, working on a blog post that will have another few preview images.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've been eagerly awaiting this book since it was announced. I'm actually fairly new to tabletop RPGs, having only been able to play a grand total of maybe 16 sessions. One thing that always killed me was character generation. I generally knew what I wanted out of my character but just trying to navigate the nearly 600 page book is a chore. I have managed to brute-force my way into learning the game all on my own, but still manage to get stuff wrong. I sincerely hope this book fixes that. Can't wait.

Paizo Employee Developer

VoltySquirrel wrote:
I've been eagerly awaiting this book since it was announced. I'm actually fairly new to tabletop RPGs, having only been able to play a grand total of maybe 16 sessions. One thing that always killed me was character generation. I generally knew what I wanted out of my character but just trying to navigate the nearly 600 page book is a chore. I have managed to brute-force my way into learning the game all on my own, but still manage to get stuff wrong. I sincerely hope this book fixes that. Can't wait.

Based on what you have written here, I think you'll find this book very useful!

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I wasn't sure about this book, but after reading more on this thread my interest is definitely piqued. I understand this book is for newer/ beginner players. However, I do have one question: how does this book interact (if at all) with Pathfinder: Unchained? Do the rules contained in the two books counter each other, or somehow mesh together?

Contributor

Knight_Druid wrote:
I wasn't sure about this book, but after reading more on this thread my interest is definitely piqued. I understand this book is for newer/ beginner players. However, I do have one question: how does this book interact (if at all) with Pathfinder: Unchained? Do the rules contained in the two books counter each other, or somehow mesh together?

This book is only associated with the Core Rulebook. It bases its advice based on the versions of the classes and rules found within that book.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Vic Wertz wrote:
We do still expect to have it in time for the February shipment. There are still ongoing delays from dockworker strikes up and down the West Coast, though, so there's plenty of opportunities for us to be foiled again!

So, yeah, that dockworker strike did indeed cause a delay, and it's currently set to arrive too late for February. It's now slated for March, though I will again add that since it's not in our warehouse right now, no guarantees at this point...


This is really getting old. People might begin loosing interest in the book.

Contributor

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Elrawien Lantherion wrote:
This is really getting old. People might begin loosing interest in the book.

Yeah, well, those longshoremen had been working without a contract since last July and had a number of other clearly legitimate grievances. I want this book, too, but the world is wide, eh? I'll wait.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Every company has its Duke Nukem Forever.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vic Wertz wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
We do still expect to have it in time for the February shipment. There are still ongoing delays from dockworker strikes up and down the West Coast, though, so there's plenty of opportunities for us to be foiled again!
So, yeah, that dockworker strike did indeed cause a delay, and it's currently set to arrive too late for February. It's now slated for March, though I will again add that since it's not in our warehouse right now, no guarantees at this point...

It sucks to be right sometimes.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Christopher Rowe wrote:
Elrawien Lantherion wrote:
This is really getting old. People might begin loosing interest in the book.
Yeah, well, those longshoremen had been working without a contract since last July and had a number of other clearly legitimate grievances. I want this book, too, but the world is wide, eh? I'll wait.

Yeah, without knowing the specifics, but being aware of the general conditions for longshoremen worldwide, this is a reason I'm downright positive about getting to wait for the product.


I know this can't be fun from your side, but thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers!
Landon

Liberty's Edge

Starfinder Superscriber

The difference between this and Duke Nukem' Forever is that this book is actually written. It's just not printed. Duke Nukem'... kept changing. Forever.

Hopefully the other difference is that when we finally get the Strategy Guide in our hands, it won't suck out loud the way DNF did. (Or, well, so I'm told by many sources. Never played it myself. Never will. So I can't judge for myself.)

Liberty's Edge

rknop wrote:

The difference between this and Duke Nukem' Forever is that this book is actually written. It's just not printed. Duke Nukem'... kept changing. Forever.

Hopefully the other difference is that when we finally get the Strategy Guide in our hands, it won't suck out loud the way DNF did. (Or, well, so I'm told by many sources. Never played it myself. Never will. So I can't judge for myself.)

Actually, the book was printed, shipped to the US, discovered to be of poor quality, sent back, reprinted, reshipped to the US, and is currently held up in shipping containers.


Vic Wertz wrote:
So, yeah, that dockworker strike did indeed cause a delay, and it's currently set to arrive too late for February. It's now slated for March, though I will again add that since it's not in our warehouse right now, no guarantees at this point...

Wait, I'm confused. Will the strike delay any other products or only this one? If the latter, why only this one? (Other than the theory that this product is indeed cursed.)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

It could be because this is a hardcover and hardcovers are printed at a different place.


Will it be out the same time as Pathfinder Unchained?

Webstore Gninja Minion

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Caleb D'natin wrote:
Will it be out the same time as Pathfinder Unchained?

Currently, the Strategy Guide will release in March, while Unchained is scheduled for April.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm guessing that all of the options presented in this book will be for the Core Rulebook only? If so this will be a huge help in relation to the new PFS Core Campaign.

Webstore Gninja Minion

Soluzar wrote:
I'm guessing that all of the options presented in this book will be for the Core Rulebook only? If so this will be a huge help in relation to the new PFS Core Campaign.

As the description says, it is focused on the Core Rulebook.

Project Manager

Soluzar wrote:
I'm guessing that all of the options presented in this book will be for the Core Rulebook only? If so this will be a huge help in relation to the new PFS Core Campaign.

It gives you pointers to where you can go to explore other options, but all of the advice/class-building guidance/etc. in the Strategy Guide uses only the Core Rulebook.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Dustin Ashe wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
So, yeah, that dockworker strike did indeed cause a delay, and it's currently set to arrive too late for February. It's now slated for March, though I will again add that since it's not in our warehouse right now, no guarantees at this point...
Wait, I'm confused. Will the strike delay any other products or only this one? If the latter, why only this one? (Other than the theory that this product is indeed cursed.)

The import delays are completely unpredictable. We've had a few shipments that weren't delayed at all. We've had a bunch of shipments delayed by a week or two, but usually not enough to push them over the line into the next month. This one was delayed by three weeks (so far). We'll never know why, but sure, yeah, let's go with "cursed."


I'm beginning to think this book is never going to come out. T_T


Geistlinger wrote:
I'm beginning to think this book is never going to come out. T_T

I really Hope they prove you wrong... I still have hope. T_T


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Dustin Ashe wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
So, yeah, that dockworker strike did indeed cause a delay, and it's currently set to arrive too late for February. It's now slated for March, though I will again add that since it's not in our warehouse right now, no guarantees at this point...
Wait, I'm confused. Will the strike delay any other products or only this one? If the latter, why only this one? (Other than the theory that this product is indeed cursed.)
The import delays are completely unpredictable. We've had a few shipments that weren't delayed at all. We've had a bunch of shipments delayed by a week or two, but usually not enough to push them over the line into the next month. This one was delayed by three weeks (so far). We'll never know why, but sure, yeah, let's go with "cursed."

It's too bad you couldn't get a domestic printer. I'll admit sometimes it makes me wince seeing "Made in China" on books. At least on electronics I've sadly come to expect it.


I wonder if this book will explain that crossbows are trap options or that small Cavaliers are where it's at?


Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber
Insain Dragoon wrote:
I wonder if this book will explain that crossbows are trap options or that small Cavaliers are where it's at?

No cavaliers--- CRB only


Crossbows are still in core though.

Also if all options in the book are CRB only then I feel so sorry for 3 classes.


Insain Dragoon wrote:

Crossbows are still in core though.

Also if all options in the book are CRB only then I feel so sorry for 3 classes.

Barbarian, monk, and... Third one eludes me. Ranger?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kudaku wrote:
Insain Dragoon wrote:

Crossbows are still in core though.

Also if all options in the book are CRB only then I feel so sorry for 3 classes.

Barbarian, monk, and... Third one eludes me. Ranger?

Fighter, monk, rogue.


Is there a plan to release more of these, perhaps expanding to all the new classes and such?


Huh, so here's something I only just realized. According to the sample image, the cleric section begins on page 52. If the book's content begins on page 6 (after the cover page, table of contents, introduction, and chapter 1 illustration), that means that 46 pages are dedicated to the core races, the barbarian, and the bard. Assuming an even split, that's 5 pages for each one. Or, more likely, that each race gets 4 pages and each class gets 6.

And since I'm assuming a lot of things, that means that the classes chapter will end around page 106. Only 54 pages after that to cover the last four bullet points and ads.

But I might be wrong. The blurb never mentions races, does it?


IlluminatedINC wrote:
Is there a plan to release more of these, perhaps expanding to all the new classes and such?

I'd love that, but I doubt it. The mere attempt might call down fickle fate again to stick pages together and incite dock workers everywhere.

More seriously, I hope that Pathfinder 2 or maybe even future class expansions use the the Strategy Guide format. It's user-friendly and easy-to-read. I think it'd make Pathfinder a lot more attractive to new players.

Project Manager

Dustin Ashe wrote:

Huh, so here's something I only just realized. According to the sample image, the cleric section begins on page 52. If the book's content begins on page 6 (after the cover page, table of contents, introduction, and chapter 1 illustration), that means that 46 pages are dedicated to the core races, the barbarian, and the bard. Assuming an even split, that's 5 pages for each one. Or, more likely, that each race gets 4 pages and each class gets 6.

And since I'm assuming a lot of things, that means that the classes chapter will end around page 106. Only 54 pages after that to cover the last four bullet points and ads.

But I might be wrong. The blurb never mentions races, does it?

There's a single spread on races, and a considerable amount of content before character building starts.


Jessica Price wrote:
There's a single spread on races, and a considerable amount of content before character building starts.

Thanks Jessica! Interesting. I'm really curious to see how all the race material fit on a single spread.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Remember that this book is a companion to the Core Rulebook, not a replacement for it, and the Races chapter in the Core Rulebook covers its content pretty solidly.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

wait why was the date for the pdf moved?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because the release date for the hardback got moved.

Silver Crusade

Biztak wrote:
wait why was the date for the pdf moved?

*Ahem*

Renegade Paladin wrote:
Azouth wrote:
Why are the PDFs also being delayed too?
Because if they sell the PDFs early, they'll undercut sales of the physical book and piss off all their retailers.

401 to 450 of 644 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Strategy Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.