Pathfinder Player Companion: Advanced Class Origins (PFRPG)

3.00/5 (based on 6 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Advanced Class Origins (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $12.99 $6.49

Add PDF $8.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Top of Class!

Unlock your character’s potential and become a master of the hybrid classes with Pathfinder Player Companion: Advanced Class Origins! Featuring never-before-seen rules options for the 10 new classes from the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide, this volume is the ultimate companion for bringing your hybrid class adventurer into the Pathfinder campaign setting. Whether your character is one of Geb’s enigmatic Twilight Sage arcanists, an investigator trained at Lepidstadt Academy in gothic Ustalav, or a scimitar-wielding swashbuckler dervish from Qadira, Advanced Class Origins makes sure her connection to Golarion is as powerful as her unique new skills and abilities.

Inside this book, you’ll find:

  • New archetypes and character options that integrate each of the 10 classes detailed in the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide into the world of Golarion.
  • Details on homelands, organizations, and institutions around the Inner Sea region to inform the background of your hybrid class adventurer.
  • New traits to represent skills your adventurer acquired from locales such as the demon-plagued Tanglebriar, war-torn Nirmathas, and the deep vastness of the Mwangi Jungle.
  • Tips and advice on how to use the new hybrid classes to qualify for prestige classes and weave a path of renown through the legends and myths of the Inner Sea.
  • New feats, spells, and items to augment the hexing powers of shamans and witches, empower animal companions with acidic bites, and much more!

This Pathfinder Player Companion is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be incorporated into any fantasy world.

Written by Dennis Baker, Ross Byers, Tom Phillips, Stephen Radney-MacFarland, Owen Stephens.
Cover Art by Igor Grechanyi.

Each monthly 32-page Pathfinder Player Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for all types of characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-689-8

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9451


See Also:

1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.00/5 (based on 6 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Mechanical Options for the ACG classes


The bulk of Advanced Class Origins is made up of two page spreads for each of the ten new hybrid classes found in the Advanced Class Guide. Roughly one page is devoted to a discussion of common locations from where each hybrid class typically comes from, and the second page goes to mechanical options. The book then goes into new magic items, spells, and feats.

The flavor information is pretty much what a fan of Golarion would expect. Arcanists are from high magic societies, such as Absalom, Nex, and Geb; while skalds are from the Lands of the Linnorn Kings. I personally would have preferred more details on the less obvious choices. For example, skalds are apparently popular in the Taldor’s army, which is strange for the “empire in decline” to encourage raging warriors, and I would have liked to learn more about.

The meat of this book is the mechanical character options, which are to taste. For example, I like both the mechanics and flavor of the black blood bloodrager bloodline, and the seafaring dragon skald. However, some of the archetypes are for evil characters only, or are for very circumstantial builds. I do appreciate the callbacks to prior options, such as giving swashbucklers a whirling dervish archetype, and including scalykind and void blessings for warpriests. Each class spread has regional traits listed, some which are outrageously specific. For example, Lichblood can only be taken by characters from Belkzen with the undead bloodrager bloodline, and gives a +2 on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks only against orcs from Belkzen.

The book includes feats, magic items, and spells, of which the feats especially should have been in the Advanced Class Guide itself. Not just the infamous Fencing Grace (Dexterity to damage with the rapier), but Expanded Spell Kenning (allowing skalds to access the druid and witch spell list) and Pack Tactics (treating animal companions has fellow possessors of a teamwork feat).

Advanced Class Origins is recommended for players interested in the hybrid classes found in the Advanced Class Guide who are looking for a few additional mechanical options.


Good world-specific flavour

3/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

On the whole, there is quite a bit of useful material in Advanced Class Origins for people who use the hybrid classes from Advanced Class Guide. Even though there are a lot of classes to cover and not a lot of space in the book, it manages to provide a good variety of options for each of those classes. It also does a good job of adding a lot of Golarion-specific flavour to the classes, with archetypes and abilities that are tied to specific locations in the campaign setting. Overall, it's a pretty decent book.


Where did your character come from?

4/5

I feel that Paizo's staff really hit the mark with this book. I like Golarion and I want to anchor my character into the setting. Advanced Class Origins does an excellent job of providing that opportunity for the hybrid classes recently introduced to the campaign. The options aren't superior, but they are immersive.


Minimal

1/5

It does basically what the description says. Nothing more. Add in how disappointing the actual ACG was as a whole, this one basically does the minimum to fix or empower what is needed, but instead focuses on holding your hand to fit a great deal of the newer classes into the more obvious flavor themes of the setting.

But in a lot of ways it fails to actually bridge the gaps even on that front. It was pretty clear in the ACG that the writers loved some classes and well, had to do something for the others. Thats basically repeated here, where some classes get cool stuff and others get a whatever scraps are left just so they have a new option in the book.

Lack of Favored Class material for the common non-core races is a huge let down. There is a section about Prestige Classes, but is kind of worthless as it basically traslates to ask your DM, (well, duh). There is just nowhere near enough in this book. What is there is writen well and enjoyable, but tends to be not terribly useful in favor of being niche. It partially feels like some of the almost finished material that they just couldnt fit into the ACG but not enough for its own book, so they added some filling in the form of setting flavor.

If you thought the ACG was perfect, you will probably like this one. If you wanted some fixes for that same book, its probably not for you. Its possible that when they get around to redoing the ACG that this book might get an indidect boost. Its probably not fair that the issues with the ACG directly affect this book as much as they do, but hopefully (if) when that changes, the reverse might be true as well.


More stuff, but not all stuff I care about

3/5

Advanced Class Guide Origins is more material for the new classes from the Advanced Class Guide, but with more Golarion fluff mixed in. I was sad to see that their expansion of the Slayer didn't include more talents, and there wasn't a lot here I cared about. Their Osirion themed Hunter archetype traded away the base Focuses for desert focuses, but unless you're trying to build something really specific these seem almost universally weaker. While there was some cool stuff sprinkled throughout and they provided some guidance on where everything fits in the Golarion world, nothing here really excited me.


1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
251 to 300 of 318 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Heya Skeld, thank you for giving us these details!

Just a quick question if you don't mind. what do Corsair, Crusading
and Skewering magical abilities do? Also what are Beast Wrestler's Gauntlets?

Thanks in advance!

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Lanowar wrote:

Heya Skeld, thank you for giving us these details!

Just a quick question if you don't mind. what do Corsair, Crusading
and Skewering magical abilities do? Also what are Beast Wrestler's Gauntlets?

Thanks in advance!

Spoiler:

Corsair - +5 Bonus to Acrobatics; bonus doubles until your next turn if you regain a Grit/Panache point.
Crusading - Expend a use of Lay On Hands/Fever to gain +2 AC ( +3 AC vs. dragons, evil outsiders, undead) for 1 minute.
Skewering - When you threaten a critical, spend 1 Panache an an immediate action to automatically confirm. You don't regain Panache when you confirm a crit this way.
Beast Wretler's Gauntlets - +1 to Grapple checks; bonus increases to +2 and +2d6 nonlethal against a specific opponent (like say Beast Wrester's Guanlets [Giants]).

-Skeld


did shamans get any new hexes or spirits?


If I order the print edition will it ship now, or will it ship when the PDF is out (the 22nd)?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Aido_Hwedo wrote:
did shamans get any new hexes or spirits?

Spoiler:

The Mammoth Spirit grants access to the following hexes: Burden of the Beast, Mammoth's Hide, Phantom Stampede, Primal Speaker, Thunder Foot.

-Skeld

Webstore Gninja Minion

Wolf Moon wrote:
If I order the print edition will it ship now, or will it ship when the PDF is out (the 22nd)?

It will ship as soon as the warehouse processes your order.

The Exchange

I didn't scan this whole thread to see if this has already been reported but the base bloodrager from ACG gets vermin shape I at 4th level and never gets vermin shape II but this book (ACG:Origins) now shows bloodragers get vermin shape I at 3rd level instead of 4th and get vermin shape II at 4th level now. Which is correct? The newer book (this one)?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
d20pfsrd.com wrote:
I didn't scan this whole thread to see if this has already been reported but the base bloodrager from ACG gets vermin shape I at 4th level and never gets vermin shape II but this book (ACG:Origins) now shows bloodragers get vermin shape I at 3rd level instead of 4th and get vermin shape II at 4th level now. Which is correct? The newer book (this one)?

That's interesting. Vermin shape spells are from the ISWG and book from the RPG line (that are not setting specific) don't usually reference Golarion-specific things (spells, feats, etc.) from the campaign setting books. That's why the updates to the spell lists all come from Golarion-specific books.

-Skeld


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Skeld wrote:
d20pfsrd.com wrote:
I didn't scan this whole thread to see if this has already been reported but the base bloodrager from ACG gets vermin shape I at 4th level and never gets vermin shape II but this book (ACG:Origins) now shows bloodragers get vermin shape I at 3rd level instead of 4th and get vermin shape II at 4th level now. Which is correct? The newer book (this one)?

That's interesting. Vermin shape spells are from the ISWG and book from the RPG line (that are not setting specific) don't usually reference Golarion-specific things (spells, feats, etc.) from the campaign setting books. That's why the updates to the spell lists all come from Golarion-specific books.

-Skeld

The vermin shape spells were (to my knowledge) originally published in Book of the Damned - Volume 2: Lords of Chaos, were reprinted in Inner Sea World Guide, and reprinted a third and final time in Ultimate Magic. So they are, as of now, part of the RPG line, but I'm guessing the reprints caused a minor mix-up.

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Luthorne wrote:
Skeld wrote:
d20pfsrd.com wrote:
I didn't scan this whole thread to see if this has already been reported but the base bloodrager from ACG gets vermin shape I at 4th level and never gets vermin shape II but this book (ACG:Origins) now shows bloodragers get vermin shape I at 3rd level instead of 4th and get vermin shape II at 4th level now. Which is correct? The newer book (this one)?

That's interesting. Vermin shape spells are from the ISWG and book from the RPG line (that are not setting specific) don't usually reference Golarion-specific things (spells, feats, etc.) from the campaign setting books. That's why the updates to the spell lists all come from Golarion-specific books.

-Skeld

The vermin shape spells were (to my knowledge) originally published in Book of the Damned - Volume 2: Lords of Chaos, were reprinted in Inner Sea World Guide, and reprinted a third and final time in Ultimate Magic. So they are, as of now, part of the RPG line, but I'm guessing the reprints caused a minor mix-up.

That could be the case. As far as this book is concerned, the vermin shape spells are tagged with an "ISWG" superscript.

-Skeld

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

3 people marked this as a favorite.

So I come home, download my PDF, and...

Oh whee.... another Dervish archtype. Would a Falcata and buckler Swashbuckler been too much to ask for? Why does Paizo hate Taldor so?


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

The Consume life ability for the Twilight Sage doesn't have a range listed.

Is it touch, within 30ft. or some other distance? Probably touch I'd say. Does that mean your familiar could deliver it??


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:

So I come home, download my PDF, and...

Oh whee.... another Dervish archtype. Would a Falcata and buckler Swashbuckler been too much to ask for? Why does Paizo hate Taldor so?

Um...you could do this with just Swashbuckler from the ACG....sure you don't get awesome till third level...but than again at those levels it does not hurt too much.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Smehow I expected something totally different from the title of this book, i.e. background options for the ACG classes in the manner of Ultimate Campaign. I guess I didn't pay enough attention.


What are the new options for the investigator?


So if I buy the print edition of this book, will the PDF version be added to my downloads? Or would I have to purchase the PDF separately?


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

My understanding is that you have to have the subscription to get the free download.


Correct. If you subscribe to the Player Companion line, you get the PDF for free as part of your subscription. Otherwise, you need to purchase the PDF separately.

Grand Lodge

Can we get the spells that were added to the new classes spell lists? Or at least notable additions (Obviously in your opinion)?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

What does the Lepidstadt Investigator's Hat do?

Grand Lodge

Is there anything which would work especially well n Reign of Winter AP? If so could you provide a spoiler about it?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Himokl wrote:
Can we get the spells that were added to the new classes spell lists? Or at least notable additions (Obviously in your opinion)?

Spoiler:

Bloodrager:
1st - Deadeye’s arrow, face of the Devourer, firebelly, Gorum’s armor, ice armor, infernal healing, touch of bloodletting, tracking mark.
2nd - Arcane disruption, Gozreh’s trident, Rovagug’s fury.
3rd - Blade snare, blood salvation, channel vigor, fractions of heal and harm, monstrous extremities, sky swim, vermin shape I.
4th - Baphomet’s blessing, caustic blood, sadomasochism, vermin shape III.

Shaman:
1st - Aspect of the nightingale, dream feast, Gorum’s armor, hairline fractures, haze of dreams, poisoned egg, read weather, spirit call, unbreakable heart.
2nd - Secret speech, shared sacrifice, touch of bloodletting.
3rd - Harrowing, lover’s vengeance, sky swim, waters of Lamashtu.
4th - Transplant visage.
5th - Ancestral memory, hunter’s blessing, imbue hex, vengeful stinger.
7th - Vision of Lamashtu.
8th - Symbol of dispelling.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
zergtitan wrote:
What does the Lepidstadt Investigator's Hat do?

Spoiler:

For Everyone: +2 bonus to Knowledge checks to identify monsters.
For Investigators: When you use Inspiration against a non-humanoid creature, you can use your Inspiration die roll on an attack, a skill check, or a save against that creature within the next minute.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
London Duke wrote:
Is there anything which would work especially well n Reign of Winter AP? If so could you provide a spoiler about it?

I didn't see anything that leapt out at me and said "Reign of Winter" specifically. With that said, there are many of general options for ACG classes in this book that you could use in a RoW campaign.

-Skeld

Shadow Lodge

Might have missed it. Any Favored Class options? Specifically Aasimar and Warpriest?


"Keep the pig, how many broads do I get?"

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
DM Beckett wrote:
Might have missed it. Any Favored Class options? Specifically Aasimar and Warpriest?

No search results for "favored class."

-Skeld

Shadow Lodge

On page 5, there is a table labeled Qualifying for Prestige Classes, which lists Prestige Classes that the Hybrid Classes can qualify for, curiously enough, it lists that Shaman can qualify for Winter Witch.

I'm curious how exactly the Shaman meets this requirement without multiclassing into the winter witch archetype:

Quote:
Special: Must have a patron and the ice magic class feature.


Why do some subscribers get the PDF weeks before other subscribers do?


Mimo Tomblebur wrote:
Why do some subscribers get the PDF weeks before other subscribers do?

When you subscribe, you get your PDF as soon as your subscription item has been readied for shipment. With the large number of monthly subscriptions, it takes a while (potentially a few weeks) for Paizo's warehouse staff to process all subscriptions.

Contributor

Heine Stick wrote:
Mimo Tomblebur wrote:
Why do some subscribers get the PDF weeks before other subscribers do?
When you subscribe, you get your PDF as soon as your subscription item has been readied for shipment. With the large number of monthly subscriptions, it takes a while (potentially a few weeks) for Paizo's warehouse staff to process all subscriptions.

Ssssh! You're supposed to say that its based on your poster karma! I thought we all agreed on that fib in last week's "Fighting Toxicity" seminar!


Alexander Augunas wrote:
Ssssh! You're supposed to say that its based on your poster karma! I thought we all agreed on that fib in last week's "Fighting Toxicity" seminar!

Uh...yeah. Sure. That's what I said. Poster karma! Totally.


Heine Stick wrote:
Mimo Tomblebur wrote:
Why do some subscribers get the PDF weeks before other subscribers do?
When you subscribe, you get your PDF as soon as your subscription item has been readied for shipment. With the large number of monthly subscriptions, it takes a while (potentially a few weeks) for Paizo's warehouse staff to process all subscriptions.

Bummer. I have a con in two days and I'm dying to get my copy.

Thanks for the answer.


What new things does the Brawler get in this book?


pickin_grinnin wrote:
What new things does the Brawler get in this book?

If the preview I saw is anything to be believed, brawlers get an orc chick who trains the most elite fighting school in urgir and kills as many students as she passes. Now that's badass.


I would think a better teacher would graduate more students.


Well Dat just wouldn't be Orky now would it?

Dark Archive

Amplified Hex is very good. You can blow a spell to give your Hex a +1 to DC. As if the Witch doesn't get enough debuffs, this is for when your Icy Prison definitely positively has to stick.

Expanded Spell Kenning allows a Skald to cast Druid or Witch spells as well as Cleric and Wizard and Bard spells. Just in case you felt you had limited options.


Do shamans(shamens?) finally get remove disease to their spell list or at least some way of getting it?

Liberty's Edge

This book is fantastic! I have one small complaint though... why wasn't this BIGGER?! It should have been larger and in the Campaign Setting line, like Inner Sea Combat, and Inner Sea Magic! This is a great start... now get to work and make another one just like this!

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Aido_Hwedo wrote:
Do shamans(shamens?) finally get remove disease to their spell list or at least some way of getting it?

Already answered.

-Skeld


I do wonder whats the thinking behind allowing pretty much all the divine classes a 3rd level spell to remove disease but a shaman has to wait till they get the heal spell.


Maybe they will get a spell that turn the disease into a spirit monster and then has to slay it to cure the disease.


Skeld wrote:
Neverwillibreak wrote:
What do Daggermark Lore and Know Weakness do?

** spoiler omitted **

-Skeld

Know Weakness sounds interesting, but does it scale at all or is +1 to attack and +1 to damage all the bard gets? Or is it the obvious: it applies to everyone in the party?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Fourshadow wrote:
Skeld wrote:
Neverwillibreak wrote:
What do Daggermark Lore and Know Weakness do?

** spoiler omitted **

-Skeld

Know Weakness sounds interesting, but does it scale at all or is +1 to attack and +1 to damage all the bard gets? Or is it the obvious: it applies to everyone in the party?

Spoiler:

It's a feat and it applies to "you." It's a non-scaling +1 bonus to attack/damage for 1 round.

-Skeld

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I have a question about the armor of chains ability from the kyton bloodline for bloodragers. Can the armor bonus be improved through enchantments, like a +1 bonus?

Paizo Employee Designer

Chris Ballard wrote:
I have a question about the armor of chains ability from the kyton bloodline for bloodragers. Can the armor bonus be improved through enchantments, like a +1 bonus?

Since you only gain the benefit when bloodraging, it would be challenging to make it permanent. I would allow someone to cast magic vestment on it (and especially blood armor because just...yes, awesome!) but given how those oracle armor bonus revelations work, that may or may not be RAW.


I'm super thrilled about a Kyton bloodline for bloodrager. (I think I mentioned that.)

Would love to see some others like Titan, Behemoth, or Qlippoth! :D


I don't suppose I could get a short quote about bloodrager bloodlines and Dragon Disciple? You know, for science?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Oterisk wrote:
I don't suppose I could get a short quote about bloodrager bloodlines and Dragon Disciple? You know, for science?

Bloodrager Bloodlines are spoilered here.

The only mention of Dragon Disciple is that Bloodrager is a suitable entry class.

-Skeld

251 to 300 of 318 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Advanced Class Origins (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.