Pathfinder Adventure Path #86: Lords of Rust (Iron Gods 2 of 6) (PFRPG)

4.40/5 (based on 10 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #86: Lords of Rust (Iron Gods 2 of 6) (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $22.99 $11.49

Add PDF $15.99

Add Non-Mint $22.99 $17.24

Facebook Twitter Email

The God in the Machine

The heroes of the town of Torch follow a trail of clues to the sprawling junkyard known as Scrapwall, where bands of desperate and violent brigands vie for control of the technological remnants and ruins found within. The Lords of Rust dominate Scrapwall, and their swiftly rising power threatens more than just the town of Torch, for this gang has the support of one of the terrifying Iron Gods of Numeria. What slumbers fitfully beneath the wreckage of Scrapwall could catapult the Lords of Rust into a new level of power if they're not stopped!

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path continues the Iron Gods Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Lords of Rust," a Pathfinder Adventure for 4th-level characters, by Nicolas Logue.
  • A look into the secrecy and science of the Technic League, by Jim Groves.
  • Insight into the faith of Brigh, the goddess of clockwork, invention, and time, by Sean K Reynolds.
  • An unlikely discovery in Numeria's wastes in the Pathfinder's Journal, by Amber E. Scott.
  • Four new monsters, by Adam Daigle, Nicolas Logue, and Sean K Reynolds.

Each monthly full-color softcover Pathfinder Adventure Path volume contains an in-depth adventure scenario, stats for several new monsters, and support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Pathfinder Adventure Path volumes use the Open Game License and work with both the Pathfinder RPG and the world's oldest fantasy RPG.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-678-2

"Lords of Rust" is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure Path and Chronicle sheet are available as a free download (874 KB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9086


See Also:

1 to 5 of 10 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.40/5 (based on 10 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Very Impressive

5/5

Read my full review on Of Dice and Pen.

Lords of Rust by Nicolas Logue, the second part of Iron Gods is an adventure where the setting is all important. It is a sandbox adventure in pretty much the truest sense of the term (something that is difficult to do in an adventure path). The player characters can pretty much proceed however they want and the setting is almost entirely what drives the action. A poorly detailed setting could break the whole adventure. But this adventure doesn't have a poorly detailed setting. Instead, it has one of the most memorable settings I've seen in a fantasy RPG adventure, and it makes for what will likely be an extremely memorable adventure for any group of players.


this book suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

1/5

Pointless mechanics duplicating extant systems, MMO-style grinding, side missions that do squat for the overall narrative of the AP, and one glaring problem with the setting:

What do they eat?!

Spoiler:
There is no indication of how Scrapwall functions as a society. It's piles of rubble and a bunch of people shanking each other. No farms, no merchants, no trade. It's a dungeon but it's full of people who have no way to survive. No me gusta.


Flavor and Fun and Chainsaws!

5/5

An exceedingly flavorful and deadly adventure in the Iron Gods Adventure Path, this adventure takes you to a seedy junkyard filled with criminals, killers, monsters, and worse. You'll make good friends, learn some things bout Numeria's past, and fight a truly unique foe at the climax!

The adventure can get dangerous at times! One encounter in particular nearly wiped my PCs twice!

This is one of my favorite parts of the adventure path, and I can't wait to run it again!


Such cool elements

5/5

I am a player in this AP and I am loving it. As someone who owns every Adventure Path since The Shackled City, I can honestly say that this is my favorite AP, hands down.

The Lords of Rust offers a great setting, colorful characters, and some really interesting turns of events. The sandbox nature of the adventure provides player characters considerable agency over the storyline.


It surpised me!!!

4/5

I have to be honest and say that while i was reading this i was very dissapointed, from pretty much every aspect, but i was happily surprised when i actually run it and everything turned out well.

In contrast to the Fires of Creation (book 1) this module takes the heroes into a Mad Max type settlement in order to present them with threat of the adventure (the Iron Gods) and thusly concluding Act 1.
It also has a (very small) section that really evokes Dead Space vibes but unfortunately it's optional and very very small.
It has some sandbox elements that i didn't like, but it might be me since i don't like neither to play nor run sandbox campaigns.
Almost all of the encounters play very good (difficulty-wise) with a couple quite difficult encounters, keep in mind that (imo) this is true because the PCs are with same gear as they were in the previous book.
If you are one of those GMs that want and can build upon what you are presented then you would be very happey with Lords of Rust because it gives you a little information about a lot of things in Scrapwall but it's not fleshed out, so if you want you can do it yourself.

I don't give this module 5 stars because it wasn't much fun for me reading it (i was more engaged when i read the article on Technic League than i was in most of the actual adventure) but fortunately both me and my players had fun when i run it.
It's something very different than i expected (i expected to continue the themes present in Fires of Creation) and it turned out differently in play than i expected after reading it.

Summary: A very good part 2, now let us see where how this adventure path will continue.


1 to 5 of 10 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
101 to 150 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Spoiler:
Is Hellion a big nasty robot that you have to fight?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for the info Skeld.


Tell me of the new Tech items if you would?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
mikeawmids wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Yes. The final antagonist of the chapter is called "Hellion's Chassis" and it is an "Aggregate Hellion variant arachnid robot" and is CR8/MR4. Hellion itself, a "CE artificial intelligence (mythic)" is further detailed int eh Appendix.

-Skeld

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Steven "Troll" O'Neal wrote:
Tell me of the new Tech items if you would?

Spoiler:
in the Treasures section of the AP, there are 5 items listed: Envoy's Mouthpiece (sort of a single language translator), gas grenade, memory facet (a tech artifact that contains emotional programming that can be added to an AI to enhance a game state; such as attack/damage, etc.), mind burner (energy pistol that imposes penalties to Perception, save vs. mind-affecting effects, and non-lethal damage on a hit), and soothe (a curative gel).

That's from a quick look at the PDF. There maybe some other items I missed while skimming, or some details I didn't catch.

-Skeld


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Skeld wrote:
Steven "Troll" O'Neal wrote:
Tell me of the new Tech items if you would?

** spoiler omitted **

That's from a quick look at the PDF. There maybe some other items I missed while skimming, or some details I didn't catch.

-Skeld

Many thanks to you Skeld.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Skeld wrote:
mikeawmids wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

-Skeld

Final Antagonist spoiler:

So is it a glitch that the PDF comes out October 1st now?


So what's with the PDF being pushed back another week?:(


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Nick O'Connell wrote:
So what's with the PDF being pushed back another week?:(

My guess? So non-subscribers don't get their PDFs before subscribers have theirs shipped. After all, that's one of the subscriber perks. A few months back, Paizo switched to releasing PDFs 2 weeks after they started shipping to subscribers to avoid just such a situation. It happened the month after Bestiary IV shipped, if I recall.

At least that was my take on the situation. Don't remember if they ever said that officially, in which case take what I said with a grain of salt.

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Zaister wrote:
Skeld wrote:
mikeawmids wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

-Skeld

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
It's funny. Hellion chassis looks like a scorpion construction robot. Hellion itself, being an AI, doesn't have a form. However, during part of the adventure, it has the ability to manifest on computer monitors and interact with the PCs (sorta like that one bad guy in Captain America 2). When Hellion manifests in a monitor, it says it prefers a demonic face with a deep, emotionless voice. The art for Hellion is representative of this form.

-Skeld


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hey Skeld, is the chainsaw used by the orc on the cover the same as the one statted in the Technology Guide? Or is it different? If so in what way?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
zergtitan wrote:
Hey Skeld, is the chainsaw used by the orc on the cover the same as the one statted in the Technology Guide? Or is it different? If so in what way?

In that character's sta block, the chainsaw (it's a +1 chainsaw, BTW) has a "TG" superscript, which means it can be found in the Technology Guide.

-Skeld


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

at This point, I might just have to keep hitting F5, so excited for this.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

F5, F5, F5, F5!!!!!!!!

Webstore Gninja Minion

Generic Villain wrote:
Nick O'Connell wrote:
So what's with the PDF being pushed back another week?:(

My guess? So non-subscribers don't get their PDFs before subscribers have theirs shipped. After all, that's one of the subscriber perks. A few months back, Paizo switched to releasing PDFs 2 weeks after they started shipping to subscribers to avoid just such a situation. It happened the month after Bestiary IV shipped, if I recall.

At least that was my take on the situation. Don't remember if they ever said that officially, in which case take what I said with a grain of salt.

Not exactly—PDF release date for non-subscribers is tied to the retail release date of the product, and we've had to make some adjustments to our retail release dates for this month (and upcoming months because of the holidays).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yes! Begin the downloading.

Dark Archive

Thumbs up to whoever wrote the item entry for the Mind Burner. The little details like the pool of white smoke forming in the weapon's dish before it fires and them beam scattering stray particles that cause those near it to remember scents associated with important memories help turn it into a rather unique, interesting item as opposed to a generic mind-damaging high-tech gun.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

"I can taste key lime pie."


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmmm, pdf pushed back to Oct. 1st. Is that when I can walk into my FLGS and purchase a copy? I am supporting this location by buying what I can of this AP through them. That said, I am still loving this AP, keep it coming!


Kodyax wrote:
Hmmm, pdf pushed back to Oct. 1st. Is that when I can walk into my FLGS and purchase a copy? I am supporting this location by buying what I can of this AP through them. That said, I am still loving this AP, keep it coming!

Presumably that is in fact what that means, and kudos for supporting a local business!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Lord Gadigan wrote:
Thumbs up to whoever wrote the item entry for the Mind Burner. The little details like the pool of white smoke forming in the weapon's dish before it fires and them beam scattering stray particles that cause those near it to remember scents associated with important memories help turn it into a rather unique, interesting item as opposed to a generic mind-damaging high-tech gun.

I'm pretty sure I put that detail in... but it might have been Nick. Hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
I'm pretty sure I put that detail in... but it might have been Nick. Hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.

So you're saying one of the two of you is a Neh-Thalggu that collected the other's brain?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Lord Gadigan wrote:
Thumbs up to whoever wrote the item entry for the Mind Burner. The little details like the pool of white smoke forming in the weapon's dish before it fires and them beam scattering stray particles that cause those near it to remember scents associated with important memories help turn it into a rather unique, interesting item as opposed to a generic mind-damaging high-tech gun.
I'm pretty sure I put that detail in... but it might have been Nick. Hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.

And I'm officially frightened now.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

What are Hellion's domains?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Favored Weapon: Spiked Gauntlet
Domains: Artifice, Chaos, Evil, Madness
(Subdomains: Construct, Entropy, Insanity, and Toil)

However, due to his non-standard divine nature, he can't grant more than 4th level spells. Clerics of 9th level or higher just lose those spell slots. (Wait till you get the PDF, it gets explained.)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Kvantum wrote:

Favored Weapon: Spiked Gauntlet

Domains: Artifice, Chaos, Evil, Madness
(Subdomains: Construct, Entropy, Insanity, and Toil)

However, due to his non-standard divine nature, he can't grant more than 4th level spells. Clerics of 9th level or higher just lose those spell slots. (Wait till you get the PDF, it gets explained.)

K. I figured it would but I was interested to see what his last 2 domains would be. We already knew he had Madness and Evil from the last book and I assumed Chaos would be in there as well. Should have seen the Artifice part.

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Lord Gadigan wrote:
Thumbs up to whoever wrote the item entry for the Mind Burner. The little details like the pool of white smoke forming in the weapon's dish before it fires and them beam scattering stray particles that cause those near it to remember scents associated with important memories help turn it into a rather unique, interesting item as opposed to a generic mind-damaging high-tech gun.
I'm pretty sure I put that detail in... but it might have been Nick. Hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.

Two snakes facing each other...but they are ONE!

That detail is out of the mind of Jacobs! Unless of course...he burnt it out of my mind!!!!!!!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The rhu-chalik's description in the Bestiary just made the Dominion of the Black seem way, way more terrifying. On account of...

spoiler:
there being billions of them.


Generic Villain wrote:

The rhu-chalik's description in the Bestiary just made the Dominion of the Black seem way, way more terrifying. On account of...

** spoiler omitted **

What´s the rhu-chalik like? And any new information regarding the dominion?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Albus wrote:

What´s the rhu-chalik like? And any new information regarding the dominion?

spoiler:

They are at (or near) the bottom of the Dominion ladder, which is scary considering they have a challenge rating of 6 and 8 hit dice. Small aberrations that look like... umm, black jellyfish I guess?

The scary thing is that their primary function is to "copy" the minds of creatures throughout the universe, then transmit those copies back to their masters, who keep all the minds in some kind of awful eternal pseudo-existence. Sort of like The Last Answer by Isaac Asimov, I guess. The process doesn't damage the original, but does require the rhu-chalik to Wisdom damage it into unconsciousness first.


Generic Villain wrote:
Albus wrote:

What´s the rhu-chalik like? And any new information regarding the dominion?

** spoiler omitted **

Thank´s!


Do we get a female Kellid Barbarian with the savage technologist archetype as an NPC ally in this book? If so, I'm SOOO renaming her Babarella. ^_^


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Only real ally is a cleric/paladin (?) of Brigh. Their is a Kellid barbarian-type wench in book 1 (Khonnir Baine's adopted daughter).

I was a tiny bit disappointed with the junk golem in this book, for no other reason than I wanted to fight a HUGE junk golem that manifests from the huge jumble of junk that makes up Scrapwall. Ah well, I can always add that in as an optional boss encounter. :D

Dark Archive

mikeawmids wrote:
Only real ally is a cleric/paladin (?) of Brigh.

NPC Allies in this book:
Half-Elf Cleric 7. She's Neutral.

There's also a CN Ratfolk Rogue 6 who stands decent odds of becoming a PC ally depending on how the PCs go about things.

As for Val Baine, while she is Kellid and has face paint on in her portrait, I saw her as more likely to level up into Alchemist or Wizard (Arcane Bomber) or the like, but I suppose Barbarian would be possible (though less-than-ideal stat-wise, what with her having the Young template).


A neutral cleric? Uh, okay. That's the kind of ally that you'd pray to god wouldn't have a issue with healing your PC (because she'd be under no moral obligation to do so whatsoever).


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Berselius wrote:
A neutral cleric? Uh, okay. That's the kind of ally that you'd pray to god wouldn't have a issue with healing your PC (because she'd be under no moral obligation to do so whatsoever).

Egads! It's as if she may have been included to provide interesting roleplaying opportunities!


Quote:
Egads! It's as if she may have been included to provide interesting roleplaying opportunities!

Psh, someone's sure as hell cocky.


When will it be released tomorrow?

Webstore Gninja Minion

Nicolas Morsch wrote:
When will it be released tomorrow?

12:01 am Pacific Time.


Liz Courts wrote:
Nicolas Morsch wrote:
When will it be released tomorrow?
12:01 am Pacific Time.

Thanks


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Longest. Half-hour. Ever.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is great: the semi-sandbox environment, the rep rules, the gangs...

Good work Logue.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
GeraintElberion wrote:

This is great: the semi-sandbox environment, the rep rules, the gangs...

Good work Logue.

Thanks, GeraintElberion!

As always, the development of the adventure under the Mighty Paizonians made Lords of Rust the treat you enjoyed!

They are herculean in their powers of gaming and their understanding of what makes an adventure a good time for their fans!

I'm just honored to be allowed to contribute! :-)


Just read thru LoR and enjoyed it. Looks like a good throw back to Thunderdome and Hell Comes to Frogtown. This is gonna sound sorta nitpicky and I do apologize. Maybe I sorta over-think these kinda things. But, where do the denizens of Scrapyard get their food and water? It was late when I was reading it and if that was covered and I missed it. I do apologize. Thanks for a fun adventure and keep up the great work!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

raverbane wrote:
Just read thru LoR and enjoyed it. Looks like a good throw back to Thunderdome and Hell Comes to Frogtown. This is gonna sound sorta nitpicky and I do apologize. Maybe I sorta over-think these kinda things. But, where do the denizens of Scrapyard get their food and water? It was late when I was reading it and if that was covered and I missed it. I do apologize. Thanks for a fun adventure and keep up the great work!

There's a nearby river for water, and rain is not unknown in the region.

For food, they either hunt local animals/pests (particularly rats), eat scavenged food like goo tubes, raid the surrounding area, or eat what they kill. Which might include PCs.

Those with access to divine spellcasters get to add create water and create food and water to their resource list.


James Jacobs wrote:
raverbane wrote:
Just read thru LoR and enjoyed it. Looks like a good throw back to Thunderdome and Hell Comes to Frogtown. This is gonna sound sorta nitpicky and I do apologize. Maybe I sorta over-think these kinda things. But, where do the denizens of Scrapyard get their food and water? It was late when I was reading it and if that was covered and I missed it. I do apologize. Thanks for a fun adventure and keep up the great work!

There's a nearby river for water, and rain is not unknown in the region.

For food, they either hunt local animals/pests (particularly rats), eat scavenged food like goo tubes, raid the surrounding area, or eat what they kill. Which might include PCs.

Those with access to divine spellcasters get to add create water and create food and water to their resource list.

That's about what I figured. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something other than the prevalence of the 'other' white meat..


Spoiler:
"The two space suits worn by the undead are ruined, but they still grant a small armor bonus if worn. They effectively have the broken condition." If the players cast Make Whole on the space suits. Do they now have four 90,000gp functioning Space Suits?

Media Specialist, SmiteWorks USA (Fantasy Grounds)

Hello, everyone! This is now available for purchase from Fantasy Grounds or on Steam. Sync your account first to get it a discount equivalent to the PDF Price ($15.99)

Pathfinder AP #86: Lords of Rust (Iron Gods 2 of 6)
Publisher: Paizo Inc.
System: Pathfinder RPG and D&D 3.5/ OGL
Type: Adventure
Get it on Steam

101 to 150 of 151 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #86: Lords of Rust (Iron Gods 2 of 6) (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.