Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL)

3.20/5 (based on 51 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $9.99

Hardcover Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

A New Breed of Hero

Adventure like never before with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide! Explore new heights of heroism with 10 new base classes, each with 20 levels of amazing abilities. Incredible powers also await existing characters, with more than a hundred new archetypes and class options. Prepare characters for their most legendary adventure ever with massive selections of never-before-seen spells, magic items, and more!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 15 years of system development and an open playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide includes:

  • Ten new base classes—the magic-twisting arcanist, the ferocious bloodrager, the cunning investigator, the daring swashbuckler, the formidable warpriest, and others.
  • Variant class abilities and thematic archetypes for all 29 base classes, such as the counterfeit mage and the mutagenic mauler.
  • Nearly a hundred new feats for characters of all classes, including style feats, teamwork feats like Coordinated Shot, and more.
  • Hundreds of new spells and magic items, such as feast on fear and skullcrusher gauntlets.
  • An entire armory of amazing equipment, from vital new adventuring gear to deadly alchemical weapons.
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-671-3

Errata
Last Updated - 7/22/2015

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Hardcover:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1129


See Also:

1 to 5 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.20/5 (based on 51 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A Great (if errata-filled) Book for Players

4/5

This book has gotten a lot of flack for two reasons: (1) A number of people were upset by the large amount of errata posted after the book came out. (2) A number of people were upset by the perceived power-creep that this book carried with it, especially in the archetype section.

Both of these are reasonable complaints that I largely agree with.

That said, this book also contains a cornucopia of player options that are great fun. A number of the classes it introduced are now mainstream: it’s hard to imagine playing the game without options like the Brawler, the Investigator, the Slayer, the Bloodrager, the Hunter, or the Warpriest. Or to play without archetypes like the Bolt Ace (Gunslinger), Mutation Warrior or Martial Master (Fighter).

Moreover, the book introduced a number of feats that improve on the available build options available to most players (Extra Hex! Slashing Grace!). Likewise, although the spells in this book seem to have flown under the radar, there are a lot of nice and interesting spells are introduced in this book (Glue Seal, Communal Align Weapon, Wall of Blindness/Deafness, Wall of Nausea, Anti-Incorporeal Shell, Adjustable Disguise, Adjustable Polymorph, Investigative Mind, etc).

Easily 5 stars worth of good material here. Given the unusually large amount of errata, I feel compelled to deduct a star. But all that said, it’s hard to imagine playing Pathfinder without this book -- after the Core Rulebook and Advanced Players Guide, it’s probably the best book for players to pick up.


Unbalanced, uninspired and rushed.

1/5

This book still sticks out as one of Paizo's biggest missteps. It was extremely rushed and it shows.

At least half of the new classes don't even need to exist as anything other than archetypes. Even among the ones that actually work, most feel very uninspired.

There are a few good things in it, but not really enough to justify buying it. It's not worth your money and it's best not to encourage sloppy work.

Hopefully Paizo learns from this and prioritizes quality over quantity and speed from now on.


A continuing disappointment

1/5

The ACG had problems. Many problems. And it continues to have problems.

From concept ("Let's make ten classes as complicated and broken as the magus, or more so!"), to out-of-whack game design, to simply poor editing, the ACG is a mess. The book's philosophy seems to be "create a new utterly unbalanced mechanic, and proliferate it as far as possible." The (quickly issued) errata pulled some of it a bit more into line, but it just doesn't come close to correcting it.

Even something as simple as alchemical items are way out there. Holy Weapon Balm costs 5gp more than holy water, and does 1400% more damage. And that doesn't even include increasing damage to incorporeal creatures.

Even two years after it was released, I continue to be impressed with the complete disregard for balance and sense in this book. If power creep had happened this much every year, we'd be looking at 9999 damage caps by now. The ACG stands out for its insanity.

Perhaps pulping it for the cover error would have been the better move.


The first real dud in my Pathfinder collection

1/5

I am extremely disappointed in this product, and glad I only purchased the PDF version. As other reviewers have pointed out, the new classes are poorly balanced when compared to the preexisting ones, and would be a better fit for a book like Unchained, much like Unearthed Arcana's gestalt characters.

There's far too many feats and toys dedicated to these new classes, which drastically lessens this book's universal appeal, and even though some contrivances are provided to make some of said feats accessible to other classes, it ends up painting the book's title as a misnomer - it isn't an "advanced class guide" any more than it is a guide mostly about ten new classes, that are "advanced" only in the sense that they're more powerful than the others.

It's my fault for not properly researching the book before buying it, so buyer beware if you're expecting to find a literal advanced class guide, as opposed to a lengthy introduction to ten new ones.


Overall disappointing

2/5

Okay, there's a lot here that's just terribly rushed and it shows, like the editing here is painful at points. The classes themselves range wildly in value, and there's a lot of examples of Paizo's classic retro nerfing of things to help make options here look better. This was an obvious rush to gencon book, and it shows. While not everything in it is bad, and there's some salvageable content, you could easily continue to play the game without this book and miss out on absolutely nohthing.


1 to 5 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
201 to 250 of 2,448 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Very nice cover!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

+1 in hoping for more Oracle curses.

And I hope that there will be a way for an Oracle to mix mysteries, or at least to poach one revelation from another mystery. Maybe via feats (similar to Eldritch Heritage) or an archetype (similar to the Crossblooded archetype for Sorcerers in UM).

And new mysteries are always welcome. Maybe one for love/lust/fertility? I'm sure that that would be popular with the Calistrians! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If it's not too late, I vote for Logue to write the Love mystery.


I'll add +1 for more Oracle curses....mysteries are always welcome as well .

I'm most excited about seeing the final version of the Arcanist, and Warpriest.
And hoping the Shaman turned out better than I'm thinking it's going to.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

I'm hoping for an alchemist archetype that replaces mutagen with another ability. not like mutagen or cognagen.

Liberty's Edge

Axial wrote:
Guy St-Amant wrote:
Axial wrote:
Evan Tarlton wrote:
We already know a couple names! The warpriest is names Oloch, and the swashbuckler is named Jirelle. We don't know alignments yet, though.
Oloch is Chaotic Neutral. I don't know for certain, but he's a warpriest of Gorum; what other alignment could he be? You can bet your beard on it.

Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil or Neutral...

He *can* be those alignments, but he's not just a warpriest of Gorum, he's THE warpriest of Gorum. I don't thing Paizo would make him anything other then CN.

I could be wrong!

Imrijka is the Inquisitor of N Pharasma, and yet she's NG. Divine spellcasters not being their deity's alignment is rare, and mostly for PCs, but in many ways the Iconics are sample PCs, so having them do so makes sense.

I'd still bet he's CN, but there's no proof of it.

Liberty's Edge

Devian wrote:
Very nice cover!

Agreed!


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Axial wrote:
Guy St-Amant wrote:
Axial wrote:
Evan Tarlton wrote:
We already know a couple names! The warpriest is names Oloch, and the swashbuckler is named Jirelle. We don't know alignments yet, though.
Oloch is Chaotic Neutral. I don't know for certain, but he's a warpriest of Gorum; what other alignment could he be? You can bet your beard on it.

Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil or Neutral...

He *can* be those alignments, but he's not just a warpriest of Gorum, he's THE warpriest of Gorum. I don't thing Paizo would make him anything other then CN.

I could be wrong!

Imrijka is the Inquisitor of N Pharasma, and yet she's NG. Divine spellcasters not being their deity's alignment is rare, and mostly for PCs, but in many ways the Iconics are sample PCs, so having them do so makes sense.

I'd still bet he's CN, but there's no proof of it.

Two CN worshipers of Gorum who use big ass sword, what are the chances? ( the other being Amiri)


Guy St-Amant wrote:
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Axial wrote:
Guy St-Amant wrote:
Axial wrote:
Evan Tarlton wrote:
We already know a couple names! The warpriest is names Oloch, and the swashbuckler is named Jirelle. We don't know alignments yet, though.
Oloch is Chaotic Neutral. I don't know for certain, but he's a warpriest of Gorum; what other alignment could he be? You can bet your beard on it.

Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil or Neutral...

He *can* be those alignments, but he's not just a warpriest of Gorum, he's THE warpriest of Gorum. I don't thing Paizo would make him anything other then CN.

I could be wrong!

Imrijka is the Inquisitor of N Pharasma, and yet she's NG. Divine spellcasters not being their deity's alignment is rare, and mostly for PCs, but in many ways the Iconics are sample PCs, so having them do so makes sense.

I'd still bet he's CN, but there's no proof of it.

Two CN worshipers of Gorum who use big ass sword, what are the chances? ( the other being Amiri)

They're a match made in heaven.


Cheapy wrote:
If it's not too late, I vote for Logue to write the Love mystery.

It’s too late.

Jason wrote on his facebook acount that the ACG was shipped to the printer on the 17th of april.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

August? Oh man, please release this before my birthday!


Zark wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
If it's not too late, I vote for Logue to write the Love mystery.

It’s too late.

Jason wrote on his facebook acount that the ACG was shipped to the printer on the 17th of april.

Love finds a way.


Cheapy wrote:
Zark wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
If it's not too late, I vote for Logue to write the Love mystery.

It’s too late.

Jason wrote on his facebook acount that the ACG was shipped to the printer on the 17th of april.
Love finds a way.

It's already in the book?


Cheapy wrote:
Zark wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
If it's not too late, I vote for Logue to write the Love mystery.

It’s too late.

Jason wrote on his facebook acount that the ACG was shipped to the printer on the 17th of april.
Love finds a way.

I love you Cheapy!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Obviously love comes in all manner of strange forms, ask Albert Rosenfield ;-)

Twin Peaks clips of Albert Rosenfield.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Do you people want some spoilers from the ACG and at the same time do some good?

Have you noticed this from the Blog?

====================================

I can truly say that the team was astounded when you helped us raise over $2000 in a single day for The Gauntlet charity tournament event coming up on May 18th. With that, we have earned a number of "power ups" that are going to help us in the tournament to claim The Gauntlet. Alas, the fight is not over yet!

In the past few days, we've seen our competition enter the fray, getting a mountain of donations. One in particular, has surged past us! While we commend them for helping to raise money for Child's Play, we still want to beat them and show that Paizo fans are some of the most awesome and charitable fans in the world!

To that end, we've decided to announce some special goals, to help raise some more money for this event! If we raise the following totals, we will unlock the goals and give everyone some awesome rewards! Check out these exciting funding goals!

  • $3,000—Caveman Reward: In honor of Ugg-tect, one of the games we will be playing in which the participants are caveman architects, we will put together a free PDF of a "caveman" humanoid race for use in your Pathfinder games.
  • $4,000—Card Game Reward: We will release a PDF featuring the Gauntlet team members as new Ally cards compatible with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.
  • $5,000—Audio Reward: We will put together a "dramatic reading" of a chapter from one of our Pathfinder Tales novels, featuring members of the Paizo staff as the characters.

In addition to these great rewards, at $2,500, $3,500 and every $1,000 dollars thereafter I will post up some tantalizing spoilers from the upcoming Advanced Class Guide right here in the thread associated with this blog post! Expect to see those shortly after we reach each goal. The bigger rewards will take a little bit of time for us to put together (especially the Audio Reward), but you should expect them in the coming weeks.

The Gauntlet event is this Sunday, May 18th, starting at around 3pm PST. We've learned you will be able to watch the event live on Twitch.tv and take part in some truly awesome auctions during the event. We hope that you tune in and cheer us on through the chat and social media. Thanks again for donating and proving that Paizo has some of the best fans in the world!

Click here to donate and make sure to put "For Paizo" in the comment line so that your donation goes to our team!

===========================================================

Here is a link to Jason's post in the Blog The Fight for the Gauntlet Rages On!

Jason Bulmahn wrote:

We hit the $2,500 goal! As promised, here are a couple of spoilers from the upcoming Advanced Class Guide

  • The Arcanist received a number of cool new exploits not seen in the play test. Here is one of them. Quick Study (Ex): The arcanist can prepare a spell in place of an existing spell by expending one point from her arcane reservoir. Using this ability is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The arcanist must be able to reference her spellbook when using this ability. The spell prepared must be of the same level as the spell being replaced.

  • The Shaman had a number of hexes added to the class that can be selected by all shamans (not just those with a particular spirit). Check out this fun hex. Shapeshift (Su): The shaman transforms herself into another form for a number of minutes per day equal to her level, as alter self. This duration does not need to be consecutive, but it must be spent in 1-minute increments. Changing form (including changing back) is a standard action that doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. At 8th level, this ability works as beast shape I. At 12th level, this ability works as beast shape II. At 16th level, this ability works as beast shape III. At 20th level, this ability works as beast shape IV.

  • In addition to the new classes in the book, there are also new archetypes for each of the existing classes in the game. For example, the Rogue has a new archetype called the Counterfeit Mage, which has this fun ability. Signature Wand (Ex): At 4th level, a counterfeit mage can spend 1 hour practicing with a wand to designate it as his signature wand. He can draw that wand as a free action, and can activate it without having to succeed at a Use Magic Device check. He can change his signature wand once per day. This ability replaces the rogue talent gained at 4th level.

Well that about wraps up the spoilers for this reward tier. Check back in for more when we reach $3,500 and keep an eye out for our other goals too (closing in on the $3,000 goal right now).

And again, thanks for helping out the Paizo team in the Gauntlet and donating to this worthy cause.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer

The money goes to Charity aimed to help children, but it also helps Paizo winning the completion and getting the Gauntlet.

Steve has also promised to punch Jason in the face with the gauntlet and put it on Youtube if they win.

And giving to charity is tax deductible in the US right?

Paizo are currently at $ 2865. If we all chime in it won’t be hard to reach $ 3 500 or even beat Paizo’s competition “Removed from Play!” Removed from Play are currently at $ 3 554.

C’mon. It can be that hard. If we all help out we can do this.

At 5,000 we get an Audio Reward. That would be hilarious!

If we beat $ 3 554:


  • we help children.
  • we help Paizo win the contest.
  • we get to see Steve to punch Jason in the face with the gauntlet on Youtube
  • we get new Advanced glass Guide spoilers.
  • We get a free PDF of a "caveman" humanoid race for Pathfinder
  • And it is probably tax deductible if you live in the US, right? Not that is should matter :) I live in Sweden and can’t deduct it from my tax.

We can do this: FOR THE CHILDREN! And all the other stuff :)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

They still have to win the tournament to get the gauntlet too don't they? I thought the fundraising got them "power ups" to use in the games while they attempt to win the gauntlet.

But yes. Punch Bulmahn, help children. Seems like a win win* :P

*Sorry Jason, but Khorne has to be appeased somehow. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!


With power ups and this Paizo team you can’t go wrong!

Muahahaha!!!!

=====================


  • Jason "The Giant" Bulmahn
  • Erik "The Suit" Mona,
  • Jessica "The Whip" Price
  • Stephen "The Antipaladin" Radney-MacFarland

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pawns Subscriber

Is the Ravener on the front cover supposed to be the remains of the Red Dragon on the cover of the Core Rulebook?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
the Haunted Jester wrote:
Is the Ravener on the front cover supposed to be the remains of the Red Dragon on the cover of the Core Rulebook?

Nah, wrong element. The green color and acid means it probably had an acid breath weapon in life.


Matrix Dragon wrote:
the Haunted Jester wrote:
Is the Ravener on the front cover supposed to be the remains of the Red Dragon on the cover of the Core Rulebook?
Nah, wrong element. The green color and acid means it probably had an acid breath weapon in life.

The bone structure of the face looks very similar to a red dragon, compared to black (or copper). So it could quite possibly be the animated remains of the red dragon from the CRB cover.


Jason, that needs to be your next spoiler.

Also, I'm disappointed that the sword alain was grabbing in UE didn't make the cover here!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Maybe the red dragon cast vomit twin?


Cheapy wrote:

Jason, that needs to be your next spoiler.

Also, I'm disappointed that the sword alain was grabbing in UE didn't make the cover here!

If we get any new spoiler.

Either the gauntlet have trouble updating their page or people haven't donating a cent in the last 12-16 hours.


Ha! Wizards finally started.


Oh good... Another thing I can't live without.

Silver Crusade

Really really hoping for some ascetic/gearless monk support in this. :)


Mikaze wrote:
Really really hoping for some ascetic/gearless monk support in this. :)

You're a "glass is half-way to overflowing" kind of person huh?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
Really really hoping for some ascetic/gearless monk support in this. :)
You're a "glass is half-way to overflowing" kind of person huh?

Mikaze is a crate of those big 0.5l glasses from Ikea.

AND THEY'RE ALL OVERFLOWING.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Stumbled across some Archytype spoilers on deviantart....

Shaman Animist...
Witch Hex Healer....
Cleric Ecclesithurge....
Slayer Grave Warden....
Bloodrager Spellstorm....
Rogue Counterfeit Mage...
Hunter Primal Hunter...
Arcanist Blade Adept....

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

nighttree wrote:

Stumbled across some Archytype spoilers on deviantart....

Shaman Animist...
Witch Hex Healer....
Cleric Ecclesithurge....
Slayer Grave Warden....
Bloodrager Spellstorm....
Rogue Counterfeit Mage...
Hunter Primal Hunter...
Arcanist Blade Adept....

Is... is can has links plz? Kthx.


cartmanbeck wrote:
nighttree wrote:

Stumbled across some Archytype spoilers on deviantart....

Shaman Animist...
Witch Hex Healer....
Cleric Ecclesithurge....
Slayer Grave Warden....
Bloodrager Spellstorm....
Rogue Counterfeit Mage...
Hunter Primal Hunter...
Arcanist Blade Adept....

Is... is can has links plz? Kthx.

Not sure if this will work


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Grave Warden!? Blade Adept!? I'm even more excited than before!


I'm wondering if the Blade Adept can use Magus Arcana ?


Pathfinder Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber

Is that shaman animist or animalist?

I am sure the blade adept is magus related in some way.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
nighttree wrote:
cartmanbeck wrote:
nighttree wrote:

Stumbled across some Archytype spoilers on deviantart....

Shaman Animist...
Witch Hex Healer....
Cleric Ecclesithurge....
Slayer Grave Warden....
Bloodrager Spellstorm....
Rogue Counterfeit Mage...
Hunter Primal Hunter...
Arcanist Blade Adept....

Is... is can has links plz? Kthx.
Not sure if this will work

Freaking sweet find, good sir


Pathfinder Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber

After looking at the art I am really curious about the primal hunter archetype.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Are those elemental spirits, or dead spirits? Please tell me they can be BOTH...


Well one is issuing from the hammer, and one from the book...so I would think it's the spirit of the hammer and the book.


You know, this may just meat that artist doesn't get hired by Paizo again :(


Tels wrote:
You know, this may just meat that artist doesn't get hired by Paizo again :(

That would be illogical...given that little spoilers like this boost the interest in the product considerably....it's one of the most effective methods of free advertising.


Or maybe it was an intentional leak.


nighttree wrote:
Tels wrote:
You know, this may just meat that artist doesn't get hired by Paizo again :(
That would be illogical...given that little spoilers like this boost the interest in the product considerably....it's one of the most effective methods of free advertising.

Seeing as how the user has a recent deviation showing that (s)he gave the art director some art of Freiya to show off their skills, I'm guessing it wasn't intentional. Wouldn't hurt to PM though, and say they may want to take them down for now.

Contributor

I doubt this is something that's going to close doors for said artist; this may very well be his (or her) first time working with Paizo, in which case stuff happens. Plus the artwork itself is incredible; very high-quality stuff.


Dragon78 wrote:

Is that shaman animist or animalist?

I am sure the blade adept is magus related in some way.

Looks like Animist.


Alexander Augunas wrote:

I doubt this is something that's going to close doors for said artist; this may very well be his (or her) first time working with Paizo, in which case stuff happens. Plus the artwork itself is incredible; very high-quality stuff.

The art is pretty good....but they seem to have a thing for big chins...


Alexander Augunas wrote:

I doubt this is something that's going to close doors for said artist; this may very well be his (or her) first time working with Paizo, in which case stuff happens. Plus the artwork itself is incredible; very high-quality stuff.

Well, if I released the name, class, and hints about the mechanics for any of my archetypes in the ACG, I wouldn't expect more work from Sean (if he was still at Paizo). Some of the art here gives away quite a bit about the archetype!


They should just rename the book Pathfinder 2nd Edition. Honestly I think the Arcanist is what the wizard should have been.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:

Cover image and description updated to final.

** spoiler omitted **

My favorite spoiler of ALL time!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

Keep your eyes on the blog because we are about to see about 10 spoilers (5 for the 3.5k mark and 5 for getting 2nd place or higher) and the reveal of the archetype list! :)

201 to 250 of 2,448 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.