Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL)

3.20/5 (based on 51 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $9.99

Hardcover Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

A New Breed of Hero

Adventure like never before with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide! Explore new heights of heroism with 10 new base classes, each with 20 levels of amazing abilities. Incredible powers also await existing characters, with more than a hundred new archetypes and class options. Prepare characters for their most legendary adventure ever with massive selections of never-before-seen spells, magic items, and more!

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 15 years of system development and an open playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide includes:

  • Ten new base classes—the magic-twisting arcanist, the ferocious bloodrager, the cunning investigator, the daring swashbuckler, the formidable warpriest, and others.
  • Variant class abilities and thematic archetypes for all 29 base classes, such as the counterfeit mage and the mutagenic mauler.
  • Nearly a hundred new feats for characters of all classes, including style feats, teamwork feats like Coordinated Shot, and more.
  • Hundreds of new spells and magic items, such as feast on fear and skullcrusher gauntlets.
  • An entire armory of amazing equipment, from vital new adventuring gear to deadly alchemical weapons.
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-671-3

Errata
Last Updated - 7/22/2015

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Hardcover:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1129


See Also:

1 to 5 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.20/5 (based on 51 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A Great (if errata-filled) Book for Players

4/5

This book has gotten a lot of flack for two reasons: (1) A number of people were upset by the large amount of errata posted after the book came out. (2) A number of people were upset by the perceived power-creep that this book carried with it, especially in the archetype section.

Both of these are reasonable complaints that I largely agree with.

That said, this book also contains a cornucopia of player options that are great fun. A number of the classes it introduced are now mainstream: it’s hard to imagine playing the game without options like the Brawler, the Investigator, the Slayer, the Bloodrager, the Hunter, or the Warpriest. Or to play without archetypes like the Bolt Ace (Gunslinger), Mutation Warrior or Martial Master (Fighter).

Moreover, the book introduced a number of feats that improve on the available build options available to most players (Extra Hex! Slashing Grace!). Likewise, although the spells in this book seem to have flown under the radar, there are a lot of nice and interesting spells are introduced in this book (Glue Seal, Communal Align Weapon, Wall of Blindness/Deafness, Wall of Nausea, Anti-Incorporeal Shell, Adjustable Disguise, Adjustable Polymorph, Investigative Mind, etc).

Easily 5 stars worth of good material here. Given the unusually large amount of errata, I feel compelled to deduct a star. But all that said, it’s hard to imagine playing Pathfinder without this book -- after the Core Rulebook and Advanced Players Guide, it’s probably the best book for players to pick up.


Unbalanced, uninspired and rushed.

1/5

This book still sticks out as one of Paizo's biggest missteps. It was extremely rushed and it shows.

At least half of the new classes don't even need to exist as anything other than archetypes. Even among the ones that actually work, most feel very uninspired.

There are a few good things in it, but not really enough to justify buying it. It's not worth your money and it's best not to encourage sloppy work.

Hopefully Paizo learns from this and prioritizes quality over quantity and speed from now on.


A continuing disappointment

1/5

The ACG had problems. Many problems. And it continues to have problems.

From concept ("Let's make ten classes as complicated and broken as the magus, or more so!"), to out-of-whack game design, to simply poor editing, the ACG is a mess. The book's philosophy seems to be "create a new utterly unbalanced mechanic, and proliferate it as far as possible." The (quickly issued) errata pulled some of it a bit more into line, but it just doesn't come close to correcting it.

Even something as simple as alchemical items are way out there. Holy Weapon Balm costs 5gp more than holy water, and does 1400% more damage. And that doesn't even include increasing damage to incorporeal creatures.

Even two years after it was released, I continue to be impressed with the complete disregard for balance and sense in this book. If power creep had happened this much every year, we'd be looking at 9999 damage caps by now. The ACG stands out for its insanity.

Perhaps pulping it for the cover error would have been the better move.


The first real dud in my Pathfinder collection

1/5

I am extremely disappointed in this product, and glad I only purchased the PDF version. As other reviewers have pointed out, the new classes are poorly balanced when compared to the preexisting ones, and would be a better fit for a book like Unchained, much like Unearthed Arcana's gestalt characters.

There's far too many feats and toys dedicated to these new classes, which drastically lessens this book's universal appeal, and even though some contrivances are provided to make some of said feats accessible to other classes, it ends up painting the book's title as a misnomer - it isn't an "advanced class guide" any more than it is a guide mostly about ten new classes, that are "advanced" only in the sense that they're more powerful than the others.

It's my fault for not properly researching the book before buying it, so buyer beware if you're expecting to find a literal advanced class guide, as opposed to a lengthy introduction to ten new ones.


Overall disappointing

2/5

Okay, there's a lot here that's just terribly rushed and it shows, like the editing here is painful at points. The classes themselves range wildly in value, and there's a lot of examples of Paizo's classic retro nerfing of things to help make options here look better. This was an obvious rush to gencon book, and it shows. While not everything in it is bad, and there's some salvageable content, you could easily continue to play the game without this book and miss out on absolutely nohthing.


1 to 5 of 52 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
1,551 to 1,600 of 2,448 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
So, besides not having a horse, what does Daring Champion actually do? And aren't a lot of the Order bonuses mount-dependent?

They get the swashbuckler's Weapon Finesse ability (called Champion't Finesse along with the Panache pool and some deeds...and the Swashbuckler' capstone ability. Pretty much (I think they might be some slight variation).

And no...I don't believe most order's abilities are mount related...(except maybe the new one) Really cavalier's get a lot of abilities besides the mount.

Ohhh. I guess that means I'd have to use a dex weapon if I was a Daring Champion.
It would help...also I forgot to mention they loose heavy and medium armor prof....
Not too much of a cavalier then. :(

Challenge, Tactician, Order, Skills, and Saves seem like it's still a Cavalier...


Can anyone tell me if the bloodrager's spell list was improved so that it was actually useful to the class?


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
So, besides not having a horse, what does Daring Champion actually do? And aren't a lot of the Order bonuses mount-dependent?

They get the swashbuckler's Weapon Finesse ability (called Champion't Finesse along with the Panache pool and some deeds...and the Swashbuckler' capstone ability. Pretty much (I think they might be some slight variation).

And no...I don't believe most order's abilities are mount related...(except maybe the new one) Really cavalier's get a lot of abilities besides the mount.

Ohhh. I guess that means I'd have to use a dex weapon if I was a Daring Champion.
It would help...also I forgot to mention they loose heavy and medium armor prof....
Not too much of a cavalier then. :(
Challenge, Tactician, Order, Skills, and Saves seem like it's still a Cavalier...

Yeah, I guess. But tough luck if you want to play an unmounted knight-in-shining armor with all the abilities you listed.


wakedown wrote:
Gisher wrote:
I would love to know how Investigators can use studied strike and studied combat with ranged attacks. Does it require feats, uses of inspiration, or an archetype. And if it is an archetype, what do you give up?

Studied Combat: "Upon doing so, he adds 1/2 his investigator level as an insight bonus on melee attack rolls"

Studied Strike: ".. upon successfully hitting his studied target with a melee attack, to deal additional damage."

The vanilla investigator as well as any of the archetypes that give ranged weapon abilities (the steel hound and guns) don't allow either to be used for ranged attacks.

There is a feat called Ranged Study, which requires Weapon Focus with the chosen weapon that grants the ability to use studied combat and studied strike within 30ft with that chosen weapon. It says "choose a kind of ranged weapon" - uncertain if you can say "bows" or if you need to say "composite longbow" specifically.

Since studied combat/studied strike both come into play at 4th level, I suppose this means any race can be a ranged investigator by paying the requisite tax of 2 feats (Weapon Focus, Ranged Study).

In the investigator blog articles they mentioned that there would be a way to use ranged weapons. Ranged study must be it. I was wondering if a switch-hitter build might be possible. Weapon focus would be a bit less of of a feat tax if you could use the weapon for both melee and ranged attacks.

Do daggers, which can be thrown for ranged attacks, count as ranged weapons even though they are listed in the light weapons category? I know that light and one-handed categories are separate, but I've never been clear on whether throwable melee weapons overlapped the melee and ranged categories.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
So, besides not having a horse, what does Daring Champion actually do? And aren't a lot of the Order bonuses mount-dependent?

They get the swashbuckler's Weapon Finesse ability (called Champion't Finesse along with the Panache pool and some deeds...and the Swashbuckler' capstone ability. Pretty much (I think they might be some slight variation).

And no...I don't believe most order's abilities are mount related...(except maybe the new one) Really cavalier's get a lot of abilities besides the mount.

Ohhh. I guess that means I'd have to use a dex weapon if I was a Daring Champion.
It would help...also I forgot to mention they loose heavy and medium armor prof....
Not too much of a cavalier then. :(
Challenge, Tactician, Order, Skills, and Saves seem like it's still a Cavalier...

And an interesting alternative to a swashbuckler dip if you want to make a Dex based Eldritch Knight.

Liberty's Edge

Axial wrote:
Yeah, I guess. But tough luck if you want to play an unmounted knight-in-shining armor with all the abilities you listed.

True, but that's clearly not what the Archetype was designed to enable.


Gisher wrote:
Do daggers, which can be thrown for ranged attacks, count as ranged weapons even though they are listed in the light weapons category? I know that light and one-handed categories are separate, but I've never been clear on whether throwable melee weapons overlapped the melee and ranged categories.

Found a thread that cleared that up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
John Kretzer wrote:
Axial wrote:
So, besides not having a horse, what does Daring Champion actually do? And aren't a lot of the Order bonuses mount-dependent?

They get the swashbuckler's Weapon Finesse ability (called Champion't Finesse along with the Panache pool and some deeds...and the Swashbuckler' capstone ability. Pretty much (I think they might be some slight variation).

[...]
Ohhh. I guess that means I'd have to use a dex weapon if I was a Daring Champion.
It would help...also I forgot to mention they loose heavy and medium armor prof....
Not too much of a cavalier then. :(

More this kind or this kind of cavalier, rather than this kind.


Any feat in the book that lets a character disable magic traps?

One can always hope for this as there are other feats that grant you other classes class features.


Kudaku wrote:

I think RHMG had a typing mistake in there, the copy/paste requirements for Pummeling Style are:

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike; base attack bonus +6, brawler’s flurry class feature, or flurry of blows class feature.

Anyone with brawler's flurry or flurry of blows can take it at level 1, anyone else would have to wait for BAB +6. I'm also not quite sure where he found Pummeling Mastery, did a word search and I can't see that anywhere in the book.

Pummeling Style is an interesting style. Unlike most other styles, it's not a strict feat chain - you can take Pummeling Style and Pummeling Charge, and skip Pummeling Bully entirely if you so choose.

I got distracted by something else and forgot about my question with Pummeling Style.

Are you guys absolutely certain it says "BAB +6, brawler's flurry or flurry of blows"? If it does, that's unfortunate, because a Monk wouldn't be able to take it until 9th level then.

If it had said BAB +6 or brawler's flurry or flurry of blows, that would be one thing, but since it doesn't, Monk's can't get it until 9th level. Outside of Master of Many Styles anyway.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ACG, Pummeling Style wrote:
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike; base attack bonus +6, brawler’s flurry† class feature, or flurry of blows class feature.

Copy/paste job, there, but the important thing to note is that beautiful, beautiful semicolon after improved unarmed strike, which means that of the following prerequisites (which are grouped together as a single prerequisite with an "or") only one needs to exist.

So it's IUS plus one of BAB +6, brawler's flurry, or FoB.


Chemlak wrote:
ACG, Pummeling Style wrote:
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike; base attack bonus +6, brawler’s flurry† class feature, or flurry of blows class feature.

Copy/paste job, there, but the important thing to note is that beautiful, beautiful semicolon after improved unarmed strike, which means that of the following prerequisites (which are grouped together as a single prerequisite with an "or") only one needs to exist.

So it's IUS plus one of BAB +6, brawler's flurry, or FoB.

Oh, thanks, I missed the semi-colon there.

Liberty's Edge

christos gurd wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:
Petty Alchemy wrote:
I guess you could skip FoB with MoMS. But then you won't have another attack for so long ._.
Nothing is stopping you from multiclassing with brawler now, which has brawler's flurry. They removed that restriction from the playtest.
do brawler and monk levels stack for brawlers fury?

No.

Though you can now multiclass with them, the new classes are still hybrid classes that mention their two parent classes.

This gives several restrictions :

- "While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities don’t stack unless specified." And I saw NO ability from any hybrid class specifying that it stacks with its parent class.

- "If a class feature allows the character to make a one-time choice (such as a bloodline), that choice must match similar choices made by the parent classes and vice-versa (such as selecting the same bloodline)."


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Easy to do, and the feats table in the book doesn't differentiate them properly, either, if my quick skim glance was right.

No harm, no foul.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

My concern with the Slashing Grace arguement is that I think "damage" is a typo to begin with. If you read the feat's requirements and text, it does not have anything directly to do with the swashbuckler that it doesn't do with everything else. I think it was intended to allow characters to apply their Dex bonus to ATTACK ROLLS instead of damage, as nothing in the feat's description actually allows you to do so, other than the presumption that you get to do so from Swashbuckler's Finesse. It also doesn't mention using the weapon two-handed or in the off-hand, which they usually do in the case of damage.


Zark wrote:

Any feat in the book that lets a character disable magic traps?

One can always hope for this as there are other feats that grant you other classes class features.

didn't see one but isn't there a trait that dose that?

edit: found it looks like its out of mummy's mask so i could see alot of dm's saying no Trap finder


Geoff Royal wrote:
My concern with the Slashing Grace arguement is that I think "damage" is a typo to begin with. If you read the feat's requirements and text, it does not have anything directly to do with the swashbuckler that it doesn't do with everything else. I think it was intended to allow characters to apply their Dex bonus to ATTACK ROLLS instead of damage, as nothing in the feat's description actually allows you to do so, other than the presumption that you get to do so from Swashbuckler's Finesse. It also doesn't mention using the weapon two-handed or in the off-hand, which they usually do in the case of damage.

Please take any slashing grace comments to another thred we've been ask to stop talking about it here

Grand Lodge

Zark wrote:

Any feat in the book that lets a character disable magic traps?

One can always hope for this as there are other feats that grant you other classes class features.

No feat, but Investigators get it and Slayers can pick it up as a Slayer talent at level 2, so at least there are some more dipping options. And the Nature Fang Druid archetype gets slayer talents so can get trapfinding that way at level 4.

Edit: Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor archetype can get it at 8 through a slayer talent as well.


Exocrat wrote:
Zark wrote:

Any feat in the book that lets a character disable magic traps?

One can always hope for this as there are other feats that grant you other classes class features.

No feat, but Investigators get it and Slayers can pick it up as a Slayer talent at level 2, so at least there are some more dipping options. And the Nature Fang Druid archetype gets slayer talents so can get trapfinding that way at level 4.

OK, thanks for the quick answer!

Can you give a quick summary of the Nature Fang Druid archetype?

Do you think the Investigator and Slayer look fine? I’m really excited about the Investigator.

Grand Lodge

Nature Fang gives up wildshape, wild empathy, nature sense, woodland stride, nature's lure, and venom immunity and instead gets studied target, slayer talents, and 1d6 sneak attack (non-scaling). So it's essentially a druid/slayer hybrid.

Sanctified Slayer loses judgements and gets studied target, sneak attack (at level 4 and every 3 levels after), and slayer talents at 8, 16,17,and 20.

At first glance slayer and investigator both look like fun classes, I haven't really scrutinized them.

Contributor

The black raven wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:
Petty Alchemy wrote:
I guess you could skip FoB with MoMS. But then you won't have another attack for so long ._.
Nothing is stopping you from multiclassing with brawler now, which has brawler's flurry. They removed that restriction from the playtest.
do brawler and monk levels stack for brawlers fury?

No.

Though you can now multiclass with them, the new classes are still hybrid classes that mention their two parent classes.

This gives several restrictions :

- "While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities don’t stack unless specified." And I saw NO ability from any hybrid class specifying that it stacks with its parent class.

- "If a class feature allows the character to make a one-time choice (such as a bloodline), that choice must match similar choices made by the parent classes and vice-versa (such as selecting the same bloodline)."

For the stacking bit, there is a sidebar in the Investigator Archetypes section that talks about how Grit, Panache, and Luck stack.


I have got to ask, what are the specifics of the Flying Blade, thrown has gotten very little love in pathfinder and I was hoping this book might change that.

I was sorta hoping to turn my playtest Swash-Y into a Bullseye-esque Throw Anything build.

Grand Lodge

Do the investigator takes studied combat at 4th level as in the playtest or they gave him the ability earlier?
(Can't wait to see the pdf).

Grand Lodge

Manuelexar wrote:

Do the investigator takes studied combat at 4th level as in the playtest or they gave him the ability earlier?

(Can't wait to see the pdf).

At 4th.

Grand Lodge

SiegeEngine wrote:

I have got to ask, what are the specifics of the Flying Blade, thrown has gotten very little love in pathfinder and I was hoping this book might change that.

I was sorta hoping to turn my playtest Swash-Y into a Bullseye-esque Throw Anything build.

Flying Blade focuses on daggers and starknives. Abilities mostly just increase damage with them and convert a few swashbuckler deeds to ranged.


I may have missed something already posted....but can someone give a rundown on any Oracle archetypes ?
And are there any new Oracle curses ?
Mysteries ?

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Exocrat wrote:
SiegeEngine wrote:

I have got to ask, what are the specifics of the Flying Blade, thrown has gotten very little love in pathfinder and I was hoping this book might change that.

I was sorta hoping to turn my playtest Swash-Y into a Bullseye-esque Throw Anything build.

Flying Blade focuses on daggers and starknives. Abilities mostly just increase damage with them and convert a few swashbuckler deeds to ranged.

Anything in the book to make thrown weapons viable past the earliest levels, such as magic gloves that temporarily enchant anything you throw as the bow does arrows?


Wildmonsters wrote:

didn't see one but isn't there a trait that dose that?

edit: found it looks like its out of mummy's mask so i could see alot of dm's saying no Trap finder

There's another version of it as a regional trait, I think. Check Archives of Nethys. So yeah, it's freely available!

nighttree wrote:

I may have missed something already posted....but can someone give a rundown on any Oracle archetypes ?

And are there any new Oracle curses ?
Mysteries ?

No new Oracle curses, at least. Old classes got two pages, so if Oracle got a new mystery, then they only got one new archetype.

Thanks for the info on the Druid archetype! Not one I'll be using. Still have my fingers crossed for a Druid that A) focuses on Wild Shape combat and B) Doesn't restrict itself to one effective form like all of the Shamans do. Still, we've got a Hunter archetype for that!

Silver Crusade

wakedown wrote:
Gisher wrote:
I would love to know how Investigators can use studied strike and studied combat with ranged attacks. Does it require feats, uses of inspiration, or an archetype. And if it is an archetype, what do you give up?

Studied Combat: "Upon doing so, he adds 1/2 his investigator level as an insight bonus on melee attack rolls"

Studied Strike: ".. upon successfully hitting his studied target with a melee attack, to deal additional damage."

The vanilla investigator as well as any of the archetypes that give ranged weapon abilities (the steel hound and guns) don't allow either to be used for ranged attacks.

There is a feat called Ranged Study, which requires Weapon Focus with the chosen weapon that grants the ability to use studied combat and studied strike within 30ft with that chosen weapon. It says "choose a kind of ranged weapon" - uncertain if you can say "bows" or if you need to say "composite longbow" specifically.

Since studied combat/studied strike both come into play at 4th level, I suppose this means any race can be a ranged investigator by paying the requisite tax of 2 feats (Weapon Focus, Ranged Study).

Important note, in case the above isn't quite clear—studied combat is at any range, it's only studied strike (the quasi-sneak-attack) that has the 30 ft limit.

Despite the high feat cost, a bow Investigator looks doable (maybe only as a human, though, so you can come online earlier). I'm probably going to try one for my first ACG character.

:-)


Joe M. wrote:
wakedown wrote:
Gisher wrote:
I would love to know how Investigators can use studied strike and studied combat with ranged attacks. Does it require feats, uses of inspiration, or an archetype. And if it is an archetype, what do you give up?

Studied Combat: "Upon doing so, he adds 1/2 his investigator level as an insight bonus on melee attack rolls"

Studied Strike: ".. upon successfully hitting his studied target with a melee attack, to deal additional damage."

The vanilla investigator as well as any of the archetypes that give ranged weapon abilities (the steel hound and guns) don't allow either to be used for ranged attacks.

There is a feat called Ranged Study, which requires Weapon Focus with the chosen weapon that grants the ability to use studied combat and studied strike within 30ft with that chosen weapon. It says "choose a kind of ranged weapon" - uncertain if you can say "bows" or if you need to say "composite longbow" specifically.

Since studied combat/studied strike both come into play at 4th level, I suppose this means any race can be a ranged investigator by paying the requisite tax of 2 feats (Weapon Focus, Ranged Study).

Important note, in case the above isn't quite clear—studied combat is at any range, it's only studied strike (the quasi-sneak-attack) that has the 30 ft limit.

Despite the high feat cost, a bow Investigator looks doable (maybe only as a human, though so you can come online earlier). I'm probably going to try one for my first ACG character.

:-)

Does the Investigator have the option of swapping out talents for feats like the Rogue?

1) PBS
3) Precise Shot
5) Weapon Focus
7) Ranged Study Feat
9) Rapid Shot
11) Manyshot
13) Deadly Aim

Sure, you won't be the greatest archer in the land, but it's probably doable. Especially if they can swap 1 or 2 talents for feat, like through Weapon Training and Combat Trick to take Weapon Focus and one of the archery feats.

Sovereign Court

Not sure if it was already discussed (I tried to scan through the whole thread) but what is the word on the new ranger thrown weapon style? And any new feats that fit well with thrown weapons?

Silver Crusade

Tels wrote:

Does the Investigator have the option of swapping out talents for feats like the Rogue?

1) PBS
3) Precise Shot
5) Weapon Focus
7) Ranged Study Feat
9) Rapid Shot
11) Manyshot
13) Deadly Aim

Sure, you won't be the greatest archer in the land, but it's probably doable. Especially if they can swap 1 or 2 talents for feat, like through Weapon Training and Combat Trick to take Weapon Focus and one of the archery feats.

Unfortunately, no. The list of rogue talents is pretty tightly focused on skill stuff.

So: level 7, Human, or dip a class with a bonus feat.

Ftr 1 / Investigator X would work fine. Grab longbow, better armor if you want it, +2 Fort, bonus feat.

Grand Lodge

Please Don't Kill Me wrote:
Not sure if it was already discussed (I tried to scan through the whole thread) but what is the word on the new ranger thrown weapon style? And any new feats that fit well with thrown weapons?

Here are the bonus feats enabled by thrown weapon style:

2 - Distance Thrower, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Two-weapon Fighting
6 - Close Quarters Thrower, False Opening
10 - Pinpoint Targeting, Shot on the Run

Seems fine, I guess. I don't see any new feats or magic items or anything else that really involve throwing weapons.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16, Contributor

Petty Alchemy wrote:
Exocrat wrote:
SiegeEngine wrote:

I have got to ask, what are the specifics of the Flying Blade, thrown has gotten very little love in pathfinder and I was hoping this book might change that.

I was sorta hoping to turn my playtest Swash-Y into a Bullseye-esque Throw Anything build.

Flying Blade focuses on daggers and starknives. Abilities mostly just increase damage with them and convert a few swashbuckler deeds to ranged.
Anything in the book to make thrown weapons viable past the earliest levels, such as magic gloves that temporarily enchant anything you throw as the bow does arrows?

i think you are going to have to rely on the blink back belt and returning weapons for this. The flying blade helps quite a bit by boosting thrown damage, but it's kind of geared towards swith hitting and some abilities are designed to work when you mix throwing and melee.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I just got my PDF last night and I have to say good job to the team that worked on it. I haven't read a whole lot yet, but some things that I skimmed and stood out to me and I haven't seen mentioned yet are:

Hunter class - In addition to the changes mentioned in the blog and earlier in this thread (increase to skill points, changes to precise companion, etc.) I really like the cool and flavorful changes to the class that I have not seen mentioned such as Raise Animal Companion (10th level), Speak with Master (11th), Greater Empathic Link (14th), and One with the Wild (17th - nice intimidation/lord of the animals/Tarzan kind of vibe here). It was nice to see that the iconic entry in the blog for the Hunter actually used the speak with master ability in its story before I ever knew about this ability.

Primal Companion Hunter archetype: Wow, I really like the summoner evolution love that the hunter and her companion get with this archetype.

Spirit Summoner archetype for the summoner class: Very flavorful and is pretty much what I would look for in a shaman/summoner blend with the eidolon actually being the spirit as a fighting companion and gaining shaman hexes.

Spirit Whisperer archetype for the Wizard: This is the "you got your peanut butter shaman in my chocolate wizard" archetype similar to many other archetype throughout the books, but it bears mentioning that now we can have a wizard with the cool spirit familiar and some hexes that the shaman gets and they play off the wizard's INT; nice.

Aberrant Tumor feat: Ewww... basically, the aberrant bloodline folks can pick up the alchemist's tumor familiar discovery. That is some cool kind of nasty right there.

It might be obvious that these would exist, but I haven't seen anyone express any interest in wondering if these feats exist and folks might want to know... There are feats in the book called "Amateur Investigator" and "Amateur Swashbuckler". I will let you guess what they do based on any precedence the game may have set for itself in the past.

Animal Soul is that crazy flavorful kind of feat that comes only once per book, but you might want to have this in a party of druids, hunters, and rangers. Then again, if you don't want to be treated like an animal, then maybe you'll want to pass on this one. "I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!" Free cookie to the first one to name the movie/play that quote came from.

"Anticipate Dodge" is the new anti- Dodge feat feat... waitaminute, we didn't have an old one of those before did we? :)

Barroom Brawler feat: Holy... the implications are... wow.

Reactive Healing feat is awesome!

Counter Reflexes is to Mobility what Anticipate Dodge is to Dodge.

I think Counterpunch is going to be a new must-have feat for any unarmed combatant build (i.e. primarily monks and brawlers).

Want to activate a scroll without using UMD? Get the Esoteric Linquistics feat.

Guess what the Evolved Companion and Evolved Summon Monster Feats do...

There are a lot of "Extra [insert class feature here]" feats for the new class features that came with the new classes as well as others that modify their duration or expand on how to use them. A couple of examples are Extended Animal Focus, Extra Panache, and Focused Inspiration.

Now for the coup de grace of feats... There is a feat that enables an Arcanist to gain an extra spell slot per day!


Can we have more info on Barroom Brawler and Reactive Healing, please?


Ashanderai wrote:
Guess what the Evolved Companion and Evolved Summon Monster Feats do...

Give all animal companions and summoned creatures pounce?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Cheapy wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Guess what the Evolved Companion and Evolved Summon Monster Feats do...
Give all animal companions and summoned creatures pounce?

Correct! ;)

Grand Lodge

Justin Sane wrote:
Can we have more info on Barroom Brawler and Reactive Healing, please?

Barroom Brawler: 1/day use a combat feat you don't have for 1 minute. Must meet prereqs for the feat.

Reactive Healing: Channel or lay hands as you're knocked unconscious. Prereqs are Quick Channel or Quicken spell and obviously the ability to either channel or lay hands.

I'm fairly underwhelmed by both of these.


Cheapy wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Guess what the Evolved Companion and Evolved Summon Monster Feats do...
Give all animal companions and summoned creatures pounce?

Yeeeessssss... *tosses it onto the Lamashtu Hunter build pile*


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Justin Sane wrote:
Can we have more info on Barroom Brawler and Reactive Healing, please?

You know that thing that Brawlers can do where they can get temporary feats? Yeah, the Barroom Brawler feat lets other characters tap into that a little.

With Reactive Healing, a member of the Lay on Hands or the Channel Energy crowd with one of two feats that both have "quick" in their titles can immediately heal damage from an attack that would otherwise leave them unconscious.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Kind of a shame about Reactive Healing, when Paladins can just cast Hero's Defiance.


Petty Alchemy wrote:
Kind of a shame about Reactive Healing, when Paladins can just cast Hero's Defiance.

As I discovered in a recent module where one of our Paladins was tail slapped, grabbed and then constricted to unconsciousness by a Linnorm that can be hard to do when you have to make an impossible concentration check due to the grapple. Lay on Hands is SU so wouldn't require one. It's a niche benefit but it could have uses.


Ashanderai wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Guess what the Evolved Companion and Evolved Summon Monster Feats do...
Give all animal companions and summoned creatures pounce?
Correct! ;)

Just what the game needs!

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Victor will be able to pounce upon the foes of nature?

A CELEBRATION I SAY!

Sczarni

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Hopefully this doesn't happen to others, but I was just sent the Advanced PLAYER'S guide. NOT the Advanced CLASS guide.

-_-

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Verzen wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't happen to others, but I was just sent the Advanced PLAYER'S guide. NOT the Advanced CLASS guide.

-_-

Yikes. Contact customer service, they can probably help you out. Or at least say nice things to make you feel better. :)

Sczarni

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Closed on saturdays and sundays so I have to wait till monday. -_-


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Verzen wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't happen to others, but I was just sent the Advanced PLAYER'S guide. NOT the Advanced CLASS guide.

-_-

Uh-oh. I hope I haven't been mistaking the cutpurse, infiltrator (ranger), and invulnerable rager archetypes for the cutthroat, infiltrator (investigator), and crossblooded rager archetypes.

Seriously, that sucks, dude. I hope it gets fixed for you fast.

Sczarni

Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I think the invulnerable rager is much closer in tune with thematics to the untouchable rager.

Fun fact. I actually had that thought before I ordered. I was like, "Better not click on the APG by accident!"

1,551 to 1,600 of 2,448 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Class Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.