Pathfinder Adventure Path #71: Rasputin Must Die! (Reign of Winter 5 of 6) (PFRPG)

4.80/5 (based on 17 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #71: Rasputin Must Die! (Reign of Winter 5 of 6) (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $15.99

Add Non-Mint $22.99 $17.24

Print Edition Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Chapter 5: "Rasputin Must Die!"
by Brandon Hodge

Worlds at War
The search for the Queen of Witches finally ends when the Dancing Hut travels to Baba Yaga’s homeland of Russia on the planet Earth. The year is 1918, and the First World War rages throughout Europe. The heroes find themselves in the wilds of Siberia, where they must face Russian soldiers armed with twentieth-century technology to infiltrate an ancient monastery and rescue Baba Yaga from her estranged son, Grigori Rasputin. Can the heroes kill the “Mad Monk”—who has already cheated death once before—and free Baba Yaga, or will they fall before the horrors of modern war?

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path continues the Reign of Winter Adventure Path and includes:

  • “Rasputin Must Die!”, a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 13th-level characters, by Brandon Hodge.
  • A look into the cultural climate of Russia in the midst of revolution, along with rules for her weapons of war, by Adam Daigle and Brandon Hodge.
  • Revelations on Szuriel, the Horseman of War, and her brutal quest for souls, by Sean K Reynolds.
  • Spiders versus sentient dolls in the Pathfinder’s Journal, by Kevin Andrew Murphy.
  • Four new monsters, by Adam Daigle, Brandon Hodge, and Sean K Reynolds.

Each monthly full-color softcover Pathfinder Adventure Path volume contains an in-depth adventure scenario, stats for several new monsters, and support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Pathfinder Adventure Path volumes use the Open Game License and work with both the Pathfinder RPG and the world’s oldest fantasy RPG.

ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-496-2

Rasputin Must Die! is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules for running this Adventure Path and Chronicle sheet are available as a free download (639 KB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9071


See Also:

16 to 17 of 17 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.80/5 (based on 17 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

There's a Mark IV tank in my kitchen...

5/5

...what am I gonna do...

Tanks. Rasputin. Rifles. Szuriel. Lirianne on a tachanka.Daemons. Tesla. Flamethrowers. War. Death. Guns. Guts. Glory.

In the "not your traditional fantasy" niche, this adventures is quite likely right up there with Expedition to Barrier Peaks and Great Modron March. It's not your typical Logue/Pett/Mona/Jacobs stuff, it's pure balls to walls, or should I rather say walls to balls, because while most adventures take their family nuggets and throw them against the wall in an attempt to strike out something original, this adventure grabs the wall, pulls it out and hits the others in their crown jewels with it.

Too much awesome in one book. I think I'll faint now.


Two Words: MUST. HAVE.

5/5

This is hands down the single best Pathfinder RPG Adventure Path chapter published to date (as of the time of this post).

Without spoiling anything, if you think you know what is coming ... you don't. The oracle mystery is rock solid. The support articles are delicious, scrumptious icing on the cake.

Most importantly, the adventure will make players cry for their parental units.

Get this and brutalize your players' characters in ways they have never seen before.


16 to 17 of 17 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
151 to 200 of 880 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Dragon78 wrote:
Wow, I wish the last volume's info about going to Triaxus was getting this much interest.

See the Distant Worlds product discussion for that.

Alternatively, we knew from the start that we were going to Triaxus. It was mentioned when announced. They've been pretty mum on if it was THE Rasputin though. Or any other details.


Cheapy wrote:


See the Distant Worlds product discussion for that.

Alternatively, we knew from the start that we were going to Triaxus. It was mentioned when announced. They've been pretty mum on if it was THE Rasputin though. Or any other details.

Actually, at GenCon (or PaizoCon?) they announced the title of this volume and that it was THE Rasputin. They commented on the twists/challenges that statting out a historical figure introduced. The only thing that wasn't confirmed was whether he was bound for Golarion, an inter-planar meet-up, or if the PCs were going to Earth.

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bellona wrote:

Is it too late historically-speaking for the new mystery to be Spiritualism in some guise? There's also been some mention of Aleister Crowley (Golden Dawn, etc.). Or could it be related to something like Theosophy?

*cue headscratching, as I try to remember what was in vogue around 1918*

Khlysty

Basically, the idea is that vanity is the greatest of all sins. Therefore, one must commit sins in order to break one's own vanity. This led to orgies.


BPorter wrote:
Cheapy wrote:


See the Distant Worlds product discussion for that.

Alternatively, we knew from the start that we were going to Triaxus. It was mentioned when announced. They've been pretty mum on if it was THE Rasputin though. Or any other details.

Actually, at GenCon (or PaizoCon?) they announced the title of this volume and that it was THE Rasputin. They commented on the twists/challenges that statting out a historical figure introduced. The only thing that wasn't confirmed was whether he was bound for Golarion, an inter-planar meet-up, or if the PCs were going to Earth.

Nobody told me that! :-(

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ravenmantle wrote:
Bellona wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
Who's the spooky looking guy on the mockup cover? I don't recognize the illustration.
Did anyone answer this question?
POssibly placeholder art for Rasputin himself as he appears on the final version.

It's just placeholder art from somewhere else; not sure where, but it has nothing to do with the coming artwork for the cover other than we needed something to put on the temporary cover.


I was really excited when I saw this AP coming. Seeing Triaxus I was a little disappointed. With this book going to Earth I got very sad. But you know what I will make the best of it. I am definitely going to make sure to paint the T.A.R.D.I.C.H. (Time and Relative Dimension in Chicken Hut) blue and I demand that a telepathic translator circuit be installed in the hut. Going to Earth a constant Tongues spell is pretty much required. Another thing I have isif your not even in the same dimension as the Golarion gods can clerics and paladins even get their spells? Anyone else planning on doing this in character when they play? "What is this strange place? Ee-arth I have never heard of this planet. And this country Rooshea it is so strange." One thing for sure I am definitely playing a Samsaran Clone Master Alchemist. Or a Samsaran Wizard .

Lantern Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 Top 16

Rasputin is Dr. Lucky?!

Webstore Gninja Minion

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Black Powder Chocobo wrote:
Rasputin is Dr. Lucky?!

Much like Dr. Lucky, Rasputin does love him some poison.

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
As for "jumping the shark," we'll see. I think we've got a pretty excellent record by now of taking risks with plotlines and elements that might be considered "shark jumping" (such as Distant Worlds, the robots in Inner Sea Bestiary/Dungeons of Golarion, an all-pirate adventure path, an adventure where you all play goblins, a book all about cryptids, a book all about monsters that we as gamers have spent the last few decades mocking, etc.). I'm relatively sure that "Rasputin Must Die!" will end up being SUPER AWESOME.

I found myself reading this in Sterling Archers voice and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. :)

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
In my over 20 years of gaming, I have never gotten a chance to rescue a princess from a dragon or a dragon from a princess.

The first five volumes of the AP need to end with the PCs assulting a castle, defeating it's BBEG, and then a myconid informs that "Sorry PCs, but our princess is in another castle!"

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:
The Hut is directly out of Russian myth. Granted, it is a bit strange, but it's not like RPGs made it that way. And if you think about it, it doesn't make any less sense than a lot of traditional western-european myths.

Baba Yaga is obviously a Time Lady, and the hut is her TARDIS.


T.A.R.D.I.C.H not T.A.R.D.I.S.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

10 people marked this as a favorite.
Useplanb wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
As for "jumping the shark," we'll see. I think we've got a pretty excellent record by now of taking risks with plotlines and elements that might be considered "shark jumping" (such as Distant Worlds, the robots in Inner Sea Bestiary/Dungeons of Golarion, an all-pirate adventure path, an adventure where you all play goblins, a book all about cryptids, a book all about monsters that we as gamers have spent the last few decades mocking, etc.). I'm relatively sure that "Rasputin Must Die!" will end up being SUPER AWESOME.
I found myself reading this in Sterling Archers voice and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. :)

I KNEW I should have mentioned the fact that there was an ocelot in the adventure. I KNEW it.

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Useplanb wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
I'm relatively sure that "Rasputin Must Die!" will end up being SUPER AWESOME.
I found myself reading this in Sterling Archers voice and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. :)
I KNEW I should have mentioned the fact that there was an ocelot in the adventure. I KNEW it.

Yay! Urine everywhere!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
The search for the Queen of Witches finally ends when the Dancing Hut travels to Baba Yaga’s homeland of Russia on the planet Earth. The year is 1918, and the First World War rages throughout Europe. The heroes find themselves in the wilds of Siberia, where they must face Russian soldiers armed with 20th-century technology, infiltrate an ancient monastery and rescue Baba Yaga from her estranged son, Grigori Rasputin. Can the heroes kill the “Mad Monk,” who has already cheated death once before, and free Baba Yaga, or will they too fall before the horrors of modern war?

Da hell... Did I seriously just read what I thought I did? Did they seriously just... O.0

Vic Wertz wrote:
Also, "Oh yes, we did."

ERMAGERD YESH!!! This makes me a HAPPY FLUMPH!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What happens when one of the characters decides to do some research about where they are and sees all of the suspicious similarities between many of the nations of their world and this planet named for a combination of minerals and decayed plant matter?


First, words cannot express enough my joy at seeing this adventure become a reality. Haven't been disappointed in Brandon's work yet and I don't expect to be with this one either. Congrats, Mr. Hodge, and I look forward to reading this eagerly.

Raef13 wrote:
Another thing I have is if you're not even in the same dimension as the Golarion gods can clerics and paladins even get their spells?

Except most clerics and paladins are never in the same dimension as the Golarion gods (or any gods) unless they're in the Outer Planes. However, if you meant "not in the same dimension as Golarion," well, that's still incorrect. Golarion and Earth are in the same dimension, it's called the Material Plane (or Universe for you Earth-types). Distance and dimension don't really seem to be hurdles for the gods. If dimension was a problem, it would crop up any time clerics travel to the elemental planes or the wrong outer plane.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

14 people marked this as a favorite.

When I heard we were going to Earth in an AP called "Rain of Winter," I assumed it would be set in Seattle. :-(


6 people marked this as a favorite.

That's Shadowrun.


Earth's just a few galactic superclusters thataway, no big deal for gods.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

What's stopping a party of adventurers from bringing a Kuthite puzzle box with them to Siberia, and allowing it three years to make its way to British India, granting Kytons a way onto Earth?

Absolutely nothing.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.


The Block Knight I used the correct noun. The gods are always on a different plane of existence (well usually) than divine casters. I was assuming that the story takes you to another dimension because it was stated that the time for the pathfinder universe is synced with ours listed as 2700 years later. 2013 AD = 4713 After the Rise of Aroden. I had heard somewhere that in the infinite universe theory not all the timelines for the universes are lined up and in fact are staggered in their time thus allowing for time travel to be theoretically possible not in actual time travel but in dimensional travel. The best way to get it from is the book "Timeline". That is why I am having issues with divine casters having spells or even any of their abilities.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
brad2411 wrote:
Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.

In 1918? Only SKR would've been alive then, but he'd still be supping on the nascent souls of the unborn in his mountain fortr--

I've said too much.


Raef13 wrote:
The Block Knight I used the correct noun. The gods are always on a different plane of existence (well usually) than divine casters. I was assuming that the story takes you to another dimension because it was stated that the time for the pathfinder universe is synced with ours listed as 2700 years later. 2013 AD = 4713 After the Rise of Aroden. I had heard somewhere that in the infinite universe theory not all the timelines for the universes are lined up and in fact are staggered in their time thus allowing for time travel to be theoretically possible not in actual time travel but in dimensional travel. The best way to get it from is the book "Timeline". That is why I am having issues with divine casters having spells or even any of their abilities.

The Block Knight's point was that Earth is in the same universe as Golarion is. There've been references that Cthulhu was on Earth. James Jacobs has said multiple times that Earth is in the same universe. The hints before more info was revealed stated that the PCs would be staying in the same universe.

There probably won't be a problem.


Neil Spicer wrote:
Hey, now! There should be zero chance on skipping the other adventures! I just got a chance to write a lead-off adventure for the first time and you want to jump straight past it? Darn you, Hodge! >_<

I don't mean to skip them, I just mean, y'know, a creative "reshuffle." You've got plenty of time in your ever bright and promising young career to get the lead adventure in an AP. How could you deny us Wacky WWI Witchery to kick things off? :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Neil Spicer wrote:
Hey, now! There should be zero chance on skipping the other adventures! I just got a chance to write a lead-off adventure for the first time and you want to jump straight past it? Darn you, Hodge! >_<

I don't mean to skip them, I just mean, y'know, a creative "reshuffle." You've got plenty of time in your ever bright and promising young career to get the lead adventure in an AP. How could you deny us Wacky WWI Witchery to kick things off? :)

Probably because level 1 characters vs 20th century technology doesn't make for favorable odds.

Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Mechalibur wrote:
Probably because level 1 characters vs 20th century technology doesn't make for favorable odds

Given what Rasputin is up to in this adventure, 13th level characters don't have very favorable odds, either. :-)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mechalibur wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Neil Spicer wrote:
Hey, now! There should be zero chance on skipping the other adventures! I just got a chance to write a lead-off adventure for the first time and you want to jump straight past it? Darn you, Hodge! >_<

I don't mean to skip them, I just mean, y'know, a creative "reshuffle." You've got plenty of time in your ever bright and promising young career to get the lead adventure in an AP. How could you deny us Wacky WWI Witchery to kick things off? :)

Probably because level 1 characters vs 20th century technology doesn't make for favorable odds.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near WWI without God Mode on.

And even then I wouldn't want to be within eyesight of it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

"The barking rod of fire hit me for how much damage?! And there's how many of them?!

"Guys, I think we need a new strategy."

Droning noises overhead are almost lost in the shrieking harpies of incoming artillery rounds.

"Oh yeah, we definitely need a new strategy."

Ensuing explosions gibletize half the party.

"Ya THINK?!"


MMCJawa wrote:
It's a pulpish version of 1918 Europe, where not only is Rasputin alive but he probably has magical powers. Unlike you know, real life.

You don't know that. ;)


Mikaze wrote:
Mechalibur wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Neil Spicer wrote:
Hey, now! There should be zero chance on skipping the other adventures! I just got a chance to write a lead-off adventure for the first time and you want to jump straight past it? Darn you, Hodge! >_<

I don't mean to skip them, I just mean, y'know, a creative "reshuffle." You've got plenty of time in your ever bright and promising young career to get the lead adventure in an AP. How could you deny us Wacky WWI Witchery to kick things off? :)

Probably because level 1 characters vs 20th century technology doesn't make for favorable odds.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near WWI without God Mode on.

And even then I wouldn't want to be within eyesight of it.

I don't know. As I understand it the Ghurkhas were rather fearsome.

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Useplanb wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
As for "jumping the shark," we'll see. I think we've got a pretty excellent record by now of taking risks with plotlines and elements that might be considered "shark jumping" (such as Distant Worlds, the robots in Inner Sea Bestiary/Dungeons of Golarion, an all-pirate adventure path, an adventure where you all play goblins, a book all about cryptids, a book all about monsters that we as gamers have spent the last few decades mocking, etc.). I'm relatively sure that "Rasputin Must Die!" will end up being SUPER AWESOME.
I found myself reading this in Sterling Archers voice and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. :)
I KNEW I should have mentioned the fact that there was an ocelot in the adventure. I KNEW it.

...and THAT's how you get ANTS!

Assistant Software Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
brad2411 wrote:
Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.

I don't think any of us were around in 1918.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Happiness-Inducement Imp

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.
I don't think any of us were around in 1918.

...

>.>

<.<

...

Contributor

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.
I don't think any of us were around in 1918.

Ah, but what of your great granduncle, Boris Beyerisnokov, and his incredible story of heroism and escape from the horrors inflicted on him by a savage group of anachronistic murderous hobos as he guarded an isolated Siberian monastery in the waning months of the Great War? That IS part of your family lore, isn't it, Mr. "Beyers?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:
brad2411 wrote:
Vic I want full right ups for each paizo employee so me character can meet you all.
I don't think any of us were around in 1918.

Mother told me not to talk about that one time in Vladivostok.

Project Manager

For the last time, I am not Russian!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well IIRC you might already be able to say "hi!" to Nelson Mandela, although the chances of him remembering the encounter are rather slim ;)

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Your dossier says differently, Jessica Pricylov!!!


wat?

Here I was thinking this AP would delve in to Eastern European fantasy tropes in the same way other APs have covered other cultures then I see this! I'm a little taken aback that you guys are going this route, but what the heck I'll go along for the ride!

Honestly, I'd rather have seen a more "strait" fantasy here since Slavic fantasy is a goldmine that I think could fill an AP on it's own. Still, I suppose there's plenty of that in several of the other parts. There's just also planet hopping and travel to WWI era earth as well. Weird.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Raef13 wrote:
I was assuming that the story takes you to another dimension because it was stated that the time for the pathfinder universe is synced with ours listed as 2700 years later. 2013 AD = 4713 After the Rise of Aroden.

Raef's got a point there - is the Dancing Hut in fact also a time machine/"T.A.R.D.I.C.H."? I don't remember that from its write-up in Artifacts and Legends ...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Bellona wrote:

And does anyone have any ideas about the new oracle mystery? It's supposed to be something like twentieth-century mysticism, possibly with a bit of the occult.

Is it too late historically-speaking for the new mystery to be Spiritualism in some guise? There's also been some mention of Aleister Crowley (Golden Dawn, etc.). Or could it be related to something like Theosophy?

Brandon Hodge wrote:
You do know what I research and collect when I'm not writing Pathfinder adventures, don't you? =-)

Ahh! Some things do indeed become more clear. :)

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pugwampi wrote:

wat?

Here I was thinking this AP would delve in to Eastern European fantasy tropes in the same way other APs have covered other cultures then I see this!

While this AP is certainly already chock full of those themes, the era in which this particular adventure is set doesn't preclude the use of those same Eastern European tropes. I've got your back. ;-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'd be worried that PCs in 1918 would sidetrack into an attempt to kill Hitler.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Forgotten wrote:
I'd be worried that PCs in 1918 would sidetrack into an attempt to kill Hitler.

Given that they would have to track down a nameless corporal through the mounds of them in the German Army ... I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Edit: What in character reason can they possibly have to do this, anyway? Going after Stalin and company is a far, far more troublesome worry to take into consideration...

Contributor

I think we already had this conversation the other thread.

(Of course, I wrote that before I could reveal I was the author)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Brandon Hodge wrote:

I think we already had this conversation the other thread.

(Of course, I wrote that before I could reveal I was the author)

;) So, by any chance are there any spiffy high damage anti-material rifles of German make floating around in Chapter 5?

Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Wait. I was supposed to put GUNS in this adventure???

Roooooobbbbbbbbb!

Contributor

7 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm just wondering if there's some way we can have our adventurers kidnap/rescue Anastasia so Baba Yaga could install her as the next ruler of Irrisen.

Note: I have not been allowed to peek at the adventure notes for this path. This is pure speculation on my part.

(Also, I'd love if this were a way to import Faberge eggs into Golarion.)

151 to 200 of 880 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #71: Rasputin Must Die! (Reign of Winter 5 of 6) (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.