Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG)

5.00/5 (based on 7 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99 $9.99

Add PDF $13.99

Add Non-Mint $19.99 $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

This book contains dozens of new monsters found in the Inner Sea region—all invented specifically for the Pathfinder campaign setting! Some, like the gearsmen of Numeria or the moth-like star monarchs who serve the goddess of dreams, have been mentioned many times in Pathfinder Campaign Setting books, but others, like the alien vespergaunt or Rahadoum’s desert-dwelling whirlmaws, have only been obliquely illustrated or mentioned before. And some—like the mysterious and ancient veiled masters, and the disturbingly alluring fungus queen—make their appearance for the first time in print after debuting in Paizo’s office campaigns.

The Inner Sea Bestiary explores some of Golarion’s most unique monsters. Inside this book you will find:

  • New monsters ranging in challenge rating from 1/3 (such as the mysterious syrinx) to 25 (the powerful infernal duke Lorthact).
  • Three new monstrous templates: the exotic mind-draining vetala vampire, the blighted fey of Fangwood, and the twisted mutants of the Mana Wastes.
  • Five new 0-Hit Die races ready for you to customize as villains—or playable as characters if that suits your particular game!
  • Beings both benevolent and destructive—48 in all—ready to challenge adventurers in any Pathfinder game!

The Inner Sea Bestiary is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can be used in any fantasy game setting.

By Jim Groves, James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, F. Wesley Schneider, James L. Sutter, Russ Taylor, Greg A. Vaughan

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-468-9

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9251


See Also:

6 to 7 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 7 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A stellar Golarion-specific bestiary

5/5

This year, there's no hardcover Pathfinder bestiary, so we get this to tide us monster fans over. While I really miss not having fourth big book of monsters, having this in the Campaign Setting line means we can have something that setting-agnostic Bestiaries don't: Golarion-specific monsters and ecology.

So, it's a much shorter but more focused monster book. What do we get here? Well, the book begins with an Android, a PC-playable race of cybernetic constructs. Yes, this the book where we gets robots, including the famous Annihilator Robot.

We also get a lot of things that have been hanging around in the background of Golarion since, like, forever. Lorthract. Mana Wastes Mutants. Water Weirds. Spawn of Rovagug. Petrified Maidens. Psychopomps. Lashunta. A plant PC race. Also, none of the monsters are reprints - it's all genuine 100% new stuff.

The artwork is, as usual, above awesome. This is an indispensable resource for running games in Golarion. Highly recommended!


Absolutely fantastic

5/5

So after getting this, doomsday door, and the mythic playtest all within 3 hours of each other I'm still reeling as I process it all, but of all of them this has been the true gem of them all by far. This book is absolutely packed with creatures of all cr, type, and need from giant magical beasts meant to wipe out continents to playable robots that have nanites that can activate and fuel their abilities just to start.

The art in this one is also amazing, I will admit that I was not a fan of the cover and was worried about whether this would be the artistic tone we would be getting through the rest of the book but I can say I was happily mistaken with beautiful art for each creature that really sells nearly every one of these creatures as compelling creatures that beg to be used against the next unsuspecting party of heroes from the new Kyton(thank you paizo) mother who lives in an iron maiden and transforms others into it's perfect art children to the sadistically cute monkey goblin that looks like a cross between a iguana, goblin, and chimp the art in this has been stellar and makes me wish they artists had their credit on the side of the page like those in the normal bestiary's.

Another amazing part of this is how much love many of the little used types and subtypes get. If you have ever wanted to do something with plants, sentient constructs, kytons, or psychopomps but felt like you don't have enough variety to make a whole campaign around them or even a decent sized dungeon look no farther. In this we get everything from kytons to a whole section on psychopomps ala the standard bestiary including an aside on psychopomp ushers (their equivalent of demon lords and infernal dukes). Even basic creature types like the vermin type get some love with a giant preying mantis big enough to eat wyverns and treated as sacred by the red mantis assassins with a stat block that makes it so much more compelling and dangerous then just a giant preying mantis.

For those of you who play exclusively in golarion the bios really help sell you on the connection each of these creatures has to the world from the aforementioned mantis and it revered position to the red mantis to the orocni, a new monstrosity from the fleshwarping vats of the drow. Each just feels like it fits perfectly in the little niche it was designed for and for that I thank Paizo.

Finally we get 4 new "playable" races listed in here that I wanted to give special note to. For those who had wondered about them they are all awesome each compelling in their own way from the nanite infused android to the race of plants that literally evolved from a batch of magically created plants meant to feed a nation. Each one has a wonderful amount of detail giving you plenty as a player to build off of and as a gm to integrate them into your own world be it golarion or home brew. The new racial abilities they have are wonderfully flavorful (literally one of them has delicious as a racial ability) and unique that I wish we could get an expansion for the race builder with more ability options like these. Speaking of the race builder each one has a point break down of each races point spread and the rp each ability is worth, perfect for the gm who may want to snag one of their abilities to use for that race that's been rattling around in your head and wanted to know how paizo balances it out.

So in short if you are a fan of bestiary's and your annual catalog of monsters to destroy your friends and PC's with you need this the work is just amazing and you won't be disappointed.


6 to 7 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 705 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Are the mutants going to have Gamma World like mutations?

Probably not. We'll see, though!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I keep throwing moneys at the computer screen but book isn't getting here any faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The Exchange

Mecha Scorpion! MECHA Scorpion! MECHA SCORPION!

Silver Crusade

NPC Codex AND a Golarion-centric monster book?!?

I love you guys (and gals) so much.


Do the Lashunta count as one or two of those 4 0HD races?

Other then then the blighted fey template are there any fey in this book?

So will there be a monster for every challange rating from 1/2 to over 20?


I am pretty sure I remember seeing elsewhere that Lashunta would be coming out as a 0HD race sometime this year. I also remember a mention that we would see more info on the Bone Sages as well. Perhaps in this product?

At any rate, I have all the bestiaries, so I will certainly be picking this up.

Dark Archive

This looks awesome! It has great timing beside the NPC guide, includes stats for Lortahct, Spawn of Rovagug, Numerian robotic creatures, templates, lashunta, and more 0HD races, all of which I've wanted to see. I'm quite excited for this one. Is Yamasoth one of the other two powerful outsiders in the book, perchance?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
TheLoneCleric wrote:
Mecha Scorpion! MECHA Scorpion! MECHA SCORPION!

Has it actually been said that the Scorpion is going to be in the book? I know they used it for the temporary cover, bu do we have any confirmation that anything other than the gearsman (which could be the 0 HD construct like race, or might not be) will be in this book?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Apostle of Gygax wrote:
I just hope that the cyber scorpion that is on the mockup cover art gets a write up. I have been a fan of that pic for quite a while.
Let's just say we didn't idly pick that image to serve as the mock-up cover.

Justin, for you.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Has it actually been said that the Scorpion is going to be in the book?

James Jacobs hinted as much in one of his first posts in this thread when he said...

James Jacobs wrote:
Let's just say we didn't idly pick that image to serve as the mock-up cover.

At least that's what I take from his comment. :)

EDIT: 16 minutes(!) too late...


What is a capering monkey goblin?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ravenmantle wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Has it actually been said that the Scorpion is going to be in the book?

James Jacobs hinted as much in one of his first posts in this thread when he said...

James Jacobs wrote:
Let's just say we didn't idly pick that image to serve as the mock-up cover.

At least that's what I take from his comment. :)

EDIT: 16 minutes(!) too late...

See I really need to spend some more time dissecting James posts.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
What is a capering monkey goblin?

A goblin-like monkey who capers a lot would be my guess.

Like a young chimp, but smaller and uglier.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So, Outsiders, Constructs (robot scorpion, gearsmen?), Possibly Aberrations, Undead, Magical Beasts (Spawn), Plants (Fungus Queen), Humanoids (lashunta), Monstrous Humanoids, and possibly Normal Animals...

Will there be any Fey, Oozes, Dragons or Vermin?

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

Kajehase wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
What is a capering monkey goblin?

A goblin-like monkey who capers a lot would be my guess.

Like a young chimp, but smaller and uglier.

I'd guess the other way around. Back in the distant days of the first RPG Superstar, Clinton Boomer made waves with his arboreal, chaotic monkey goblins. Like regular goblins, but more inclined to think in three dimensions.

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Demiurge 1138 wrote:


I'd guess the other way around. Back in the distant days of the first RPG Superstar, Clinton Boomer made waves with his arboreal, chaotic monkey goblins. Like regular goblins, but more inclined to think in three dimensions.

Monkey goblins actually came from the fevered imagination of the worthy Rob McCreary. Wonder if we'll see anything else inspired by RPG Superstar in this volume.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

Do the Lashunta count as one or two of those 4 0HD races?

Other then then the blighted fey template are there any fey in this book?

So will there be a monster for every challange rating from 1/2 to over 20?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Gadigan wrote:
This looks awesome! It has great timing beside the NPC guide, includes stats for Lortahct, Spawn of Rovagug, Numerian robotic creatures, templates, lashunta, and more 0HD races, all of which I've wanted to see. I'm quite excited for this one. Is Yamasoth one of the other two powerful outsiders in the book, perchance?

Nope.

Got other plans for Yamasoth later in the year.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:
What is a capering monkey goblin?

Capering is just flavor text.

Monkey Goblins are talked about a bit in the entry for Mediogalti Island in the Inner Sea World Guide.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Awesomeness!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stratagemini wrote:

So, Outsiders, Constructs (robot scorpion, gearsmen?), Possibly Aberrations, Undead, Magical Beasts (Spawn), Plants (Fungus Queen), Humanoids (lashunta), Monstrous Humanoids, and possibly Normal Animals...

Will there be any Fey, Oozes, Dragons or Vermin?

Every monster type and every CR from 1/2 to 25 will have at least one representation.

Liberty's Edge

Any True Dragons?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Now I just need to find a miniature for the mecha-scorpion.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Every monster type and every CR from 1/2 to 25 will have at least one representation.

Right, you've sold me. Buying this.

Justin Franklin wrote:
Now I just need to find a miniature for the mecha-scorpion.

Did they ever make a toy of that mecha scorpion from Michael Bay's Transformers? Use that.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
Any True Dragons?

No. None.

When we do true dragons, I would like to retain our tradition of introducing five at a time. That, including the unfortunately mandatory intro page, is 12 pages of content. That's WAY too big for a 64 page book to handle. And it would give a false impression of import to this new category of true dragon that, until now, no one had heard of.

Dark Archive

Justin Franklin wrote:
Now I just need to find a miniature for the mecha-scorpion.

You can always use Star Wars minis if you can find them. Case in point: Huge Crab Droid and Walking Droid Starfighter. YMMV but they work.

But back on topic. This is awesome!! Two spawn is fantastic! I always did enjoy the Legacy of Fire support articles more than most and the one on the Spawn was great. Speaking of titanic monsters, any chance of a certain immense creature from Jandelay showing up? If not now, then maybe in the future?


Robots!?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mr. Bojangles wrote:
Speaking of titanic monsters, any chance of a certain immense creature from Jandelay showing up? If not now, then maybe in the future?

That particular monster needs us to figure out Mythic rules first. It won't show up in this book as a result.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

lordzack wrote:
Robots!?

Correct.

Check Dungeons of Golarion for more info about robots.


This is good, because I've been campaigning for robot stats since... before Bestiary 2 I think.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
lordzack wrote:
This is good, because I've been campaigning for robot stats since... before Bestiary 2 I think.

The stats are already included in Dungeons of Golarion. It's a Sidebar and a Construct Subtype I think. They get intelligence and they respond differently to electricity and critical hits I think. Been a while since I read the book anyway and it's a complex template.

James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
Any True Dragons?
No. None.

but there will be creatures of the Dragon Type right? Like those flying Dragon mount things from Distant Worlds? though obviously not them exactly cause they're already detailed.


Stratagemini wrote:
lordzack wrote:
This is good, because I've been campaigning for robot stats since... before Bestiary 2 I think.
The stats are already included in Dungeons of Golarion. It's a Sidebar and a Construct Subtype I think. They get intelligence and they respond differently to electricity and critical hits I think. Been a while since I read the book anyway and it's a complex template.

Yes, I knew about that. Thing is I'd like to see more stats for specific robots, rather than just rules for the creature type.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
I should have made that distinction. Thanks, James.

That's Daigle for you! Always trying to drain away the power of the world's GMs for his own machinations!

BEWARE!

So when can I expect to see the Flumph Bloodline in Golarion, then?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Golden-Esque wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Adam Daigle wrote:
I should have made that distinction. Thanks, James.

That's Daigle for you! Always trying to drain away the power of the world's GMs for his own machinations!

BEWARE!

So when can I expect to see the Flumph Bloodline in Golarion, then?

...dibs on that for the next Wayfinder...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Stratagemini wrote:
but there will be creatures of the Dragon Type right? Like those flying Dragon mount things from Distant Worlds? though obviously not them exactly cause they're already detailed.

yes. As I mentioned above, all monster types will be represented at least once.

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Russ Taylor wrote:
Demiurge 1138 wrote:


I'd guess the other way around. Back in the distant days of the first RPG Superstar, Clinton Boomer made waves with his arboreal, chaotic monkey goblins. Like regular goblins, but more inclined to think in three dimensions.
Monkey goblins actually came from the fevered imagination of the worthy Rob McCreary. Wonder if we'll see anything else inspired by RPG Superstar in this volume.

I think the BLIGHTed fey template sounds like something I would expect from the DARK imagination of Russ Taylor, but perhaps I'm just reading too much into it. :)

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Jason Nelson wrote:
I think the BLIGHTed fey template sounds like something I would expect from the DARK imagination of Russ Taylor, but perhaps I'm just reading too much into it. :)

I got lured away from writing that template by a much more tempting choice :) And that's saying something!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Let's see, if I recall the two living Spawn of Rovagug are the flying one and the autocannibalism-inducing worm. Sounds fun.


So the Lashunta have seperate stats for female and male, correct?

CR 25! please be something other then an outsider.

Any Elementals or Giants? since these are subtypes I thought I would ask.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

So the Lashunta have seperate stats for female and male, correct?

CR 25! please be something other then an outsider.

Any Elementals or Giants? since these are subtypes I thought I would ask.

The lashunta males and females will have different ability score mods, but only one stat block.

The CR 25 creature is an outsider. In fact, most of the CR 20+ ones are outsiders.

There's a giant. I'm not sure about elementals off the top of my head but I don't think so.


Will there be any new familiar or improved familiar options in this book?
And I know this one seems kind of far fetched, but I have to ask: Will this book add anything to the various summon lists?


So will the Lashunta have art for each gender or just one will have a pic?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Will the Paizo Golem be in here?


Nodnarb wrote:
Will the Paizo Golem be in here?

I think that got stats for a Holiday special or something. Believe its CR 20.

Dark Archive

I need a better job so that I can buy more books this year. Or win a lottery or something...

So much goodness!

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Golden-Esque wrote:
Nodnarb wrote:
Will the Paizo Golem be in here?
I think that got stats for a Holiday special or something. Believe its CR 20.

Like this...

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Dragon78 wrote:

So the Lashunta have seperate stats for female and male, correct?

CR 25! please be something other then an outsider.

Any Elementals or Giants? since these are subtypes I thought I would ask.

The tarrasque is a spawn of Rovagug, and it's a magical beast.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Eel wrote:

Will there be any new familiar or improved familiar options in this book?

And I know this one seems kind of far fetched, but I have to ask: Will this book add anything to the various summon lists?

I believe there'll be a couple of improved familiars... at least one.

No normal familiars.

And no summon list adjustments.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:
So will the Lashunta have art for each gender or just one will have a pic?

Just one picture; a female. We'll illustrate a male lashunta some day, but not in this book, which is gonna be the baseline go-to place for lashunta stats.


This sounds like a pretty good book. Will there be a bestiary for other planets of Golarion's solar system?

51 to 100 of 705 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.