Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG)

5.00/5 (based on 7 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99 $9.99

Add PDF $13.99

Add Non-Mint $19.99 $14.99

Facebook Twitter Email

This book contains dozens of new monsters found in the Inner Sea region—all invented specifically for the Pathfinder campaign setting! Some, like the gearsmen of Numeria or the moth-like star monarchs who serve the goddess of dreams, have been mentioned many times in Pathfinder Campaign Setting books, but others, like the alien vespergaunt or Rahadoum’s desert-dwelling whirlmaws, have only been obliquely illustrated or mentioned before. And some—like the mysterious and ancient veiled masters, and the disturbingly alluring fungus queen—make their appearance for the first time in print after debuting in Paizo’s office campaigns.

The Inner Sea Bestiary explores some of Golarion’s most unique monsters. Inside this book you will find:

  • New monsters ranging in challenge rating from 1/3 (such as the mysterious syrinx) to 25 (the powerful infernal duke Lorthact).
  • Three new monstrous templates: the exotic mind-draining vetala vampire, the blighted fey of Fangwood, and the twisted mutants of the Mana Wastes.
  • Five new 0-Hit Die races ready for you to customize as villains—or playable as characters if that suits your particular game!
  • Beings both benevolent and destructive—48 in all—ready to challenge adventurers in any Pathfinder game!

The Inner Sea Bestiary is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can be used in any fantasy game setting.

By Jim Groves, James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, Erik Mona, Jason Nelson, Patrick Renie, F. Wesley Schneider, James L. Sutter, Russ Taylor, Greg A. Vaughan

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-468-9

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9251


See Also:

1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 7 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A short but great bestiary

5/5

I enjoyed reading and skimming this one a lot. The ideas were even more interesting than at regular bestiaries. And it is a pure bestiary - monster listing begins at page 3 and ends at the last content page (63). Monsters are diverse and partially go beyond usual Inner Sea inhabitants, from robots over evil and neutral outsiders to aliens. The book includes two familiars (e.g. parrot fey hybrid), five playable races (not covered by Advanced Race Guide, e.g. monkey goblin) as well as three templates (e.g. charisma sucking vampire). In comparison to regular bestiaries (about 280 pages of monsters) it's expensive (especially the PDF), but I felt it was still worth it.


More creatures.

5/5

I bought this hoping for creatures... and you know what I got? Exactly that. Good price considering how many baddies i got. You get three playable races, enemies only mentioned in the inner sea world guide, and even some completley new ones. This is definitly worth the price for the PDF, and it will see some use in the future.


Templates we've been missing

5/5

I bought this specifically to get my hands on the Blighted Fey and Mana Wastes Mutant templates, and I love them. I've been frustrated at the lack of "fey gone evil" options I had, and now I've got them!
I love that the monsters in this bestiary are versatile enough to use them with the Golarion flavour or as monsters in a homebrew setting. You can bet my players are going to be running into some monkey goblins or water wraiths soon ;)


Excellent!

5/5

Read my full review on my blog.

The Inner Sea Bestiary is really an excellent book, one that manages to add yet more monsters to the game but still fill a niche for the Golarion setting. The monsters are full of a flavour that can’t quite be achieved in a generic monster book. I know that I’m certainly more likely to use monsters from this book in my own games than many of the monsters from the hardcover bestiaries (such as the zoog, an obscure monster from Bestiary 3 that I just chose randomly). I highly recommend it to all GMs who use the Golarion setting, and even to those who don’t, but still want some new and interesting monsters!


Monsters of the Inner Sea

5/5

While there isn't any hardcover bestiary this year, the people of Paizo at least gave us something. That something is the Innersea Beastiary and it is good. We get 5 playable races, 2 improved familiars, 5 powerful evil outsiders, 3 robots, 3 golems, 2 spawn of Rovagug, 2 dragons, 3 giant vermion, 1 giant, 2 Psychopomps, and 3 templates. Personely I think this book is worth it just for the 5 playable races, wich are the Lashunta, Andriod, Monkey Goblin, Ghoran, and Syrinx. I wish there was more info on these races, heck they don't even list were in the Inneasea region the Lashunta can be found. I do think the book suffers from the too many evil outsider syndrom and I do think there are creatures in there that weren't that world specific and could have been in a hardcover book. But despite some issues it is a good solid book for what 64 pages can really give you. I hope one day we will see more of these world specific books for things like distant worlds and the other continents. etc. but as long as it doesn't cost us a hardcover bestiary.


1 to 5 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
601 to 650 of 705 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

TheLoneCleric wrote:
Seriously. We need a Pathfinder Kaiju Fight club.

#1 Rule of Kaiju Fight Club is we don't talk about Kaiju Fight Club.


doc the grey wrote:
Also why don't any of the printed psychopomps have any DR? I mean the 2 lower CR ones I can maybe see but why doesn't the angel of death? Is this intentional or a misprint?

The previously published psychopomps in Carrion Crown had DR/Adamantine, though these and the one published in Doomsday Door lacked it. Since it was in two publications, I'd gather intentional, though no idea why. I'd say give angel of death DR as per the earlier psychopomps.

My own take on the book.

Annihilator/robts-in-general. Ah Hell Yeah! This is what it's supposed to be like. Big fan of the chaingun suppression fire, though I'll probably extend the cone. Also fan of the force field mechanic. Shields at 80% and holding. Irovetti is about to become so much cooler in my Kingmaker game.

I'm with Mikaze on Nightripper. Oh gods, the horror! This is the sort of thing, along with the Kytons, that paladins were meant to fight. Also show those so called "evil" characters what real evil means. At least the Spawn of Rovagug just kill you, even eating yourself doesn't seem like a such bad way to go now...

Blighted fey sounds like a great starting point for a campaign that culminates in slaying a nascent demon lord.

Don't have access right now, so more thoughts later.


Continuing earlier thoughts

Androids: For all who have yearned to a play a mysterious stranger with no memory of where they came from or even what they are. Also for those of us that think this sort of thing is just soo cool. Love it.

Apostasy Wraith: Fit very well with Shoki, and Morrigna if things get ugly enough. These are the guys who run screaming from Phlegyas' office. "We've got a runner!"

Blighted fey: As said, giving me ideas for a whole campaign. Also like how it seriously beefs up the generally physically weak fey. Fast healing 5 is nothing to sneer at, especially when being attacked by a whole pack of Blighted Dryads who can hop from tree to tree.

Charnel Colossus: Really like the idea of a undead created from a societies remnants.

Giants, Shadow: Love the art. Props to whichever of the interior artists did this one. A+

Golem, Noqual: Like how this was done, particularly the wish needed for creation. "I'm going to make a golem out of magic suppressing skymetal! It's genius!" "Eh? How does that work?" "I'm going to screw with reality. That's how!"

Kakuen-taka: Props to giving this thing a way to keep things from teleporting. If it's going to hunt outsiders it better.

Kyton, Termagant: Ick! Ick! Eww! That flux infusion in particular. You done good Wes.

Mana Waste Mutant: Mutants done right! And now we've got the fire-arms and hi-tech to go with it. To the Apocalypse, and beyond!

Moxix: Yes! The art! The crunch! The fluff! Also, whoever came up with Ghol-Gan, the name in particular, wonderfully done. I dare anyone to read the following sentence without feeling urge to giggle, or perhaps chortle, and immediately send a PC to certain death. Moxix, the Drinker of Human Hope, lies amide the ruins of Ghol-Gan. Between this and Shadow Giants we've got everything we need for the Temple of Doom.

Nightripper: Perfect end boss for a urban campaign. James, you were in a dark, dark place when you created this horror. Please spend more time there.

Petrified Maiden: Some very interesting possibilities here. A Tian gentleman who purchased an antique statue was found dead or perhaps has been taken hostage. The PCs, in Tian, first have to discover what it wants, then comes the hard part. How do we send it to the other side of the world?

Psychopomps: My favorite outsiders. I've loved them since Carrion Crown. Of this batch, the Shoki is my favorite... "Locals know not to visit the hill at night. Stories say the dead do not welcome the presence of the living. Recently there'd been trouble, and it looked to be coming from the barrows. So, my companions and I decided to investigate. We'd dealt with the undead before and were confident we could take whatever came our way. We were wrong. No mere wights or shadows this time. We faced a full ghost, a rejuvenating spirit that was beyond our strength to banish. And so we waited. Trapped by the mists and sensing the spirit circling. Toying with us really. Then we heard it. The dull tap of walking stick. Slowly he came into view. An old man, hunchbacked under a great weight of some kind. Alone he faced what terrified us, hardened adventures all. He spoke calmly, rationally, even a bit cajoling at times. But the spirit would not listen. There was too much hate and anger there to ever go willingly. The old man sighed, tapped his staff to the ground one last time, and then spoke the only harsh or stern word he ever said. "Come." And it did, into a little cage atop the staff. Then he turns us and smiles, "Best stay out of my sister's garden. She's liable to be a mite grumpy for a while."

The idea of a race that is utterly devote to a single task, but each species and individual has their own quirks and personality is cool. "Dutiful but not unwavering." Sums them up well. Wes, I praise thee a second time.

Spawn: You know, these spawn look an awful lot like Qlippoth...

Zelishkar: Huzzah for our first Harbinger. Also great BBEG for a campaign. Modified Legacy of Fire anyone?

Silver Crusade

Lloyd Jackson wrote:
Golem, Noqual: Like how this was done, particularly the wish needed for creation. "I'm going to make a golem out of magic suppressing skymetal! It's genius!" "Eh? How does that work?" "I'm going to screw with reality. That's how!"

Okay, this notion is going to be sticking with me for a while because of the conclusions it leads to:

Traditional Golems are to Noqual Golems

as

The Golemworks of Magnimar is to the creators of Noqual Golems

as

Black Mesa is to Aperture Science

:O

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.

So about the 800-ton elephant in the room:

Spawn of Rovagug

Besides including the mindshattering and mildly upsetting use of "Rovagug" and "copulation" in the same sentence, there's a lot of theorizing that really reinforces the "first qlippoth" theory. The idea of the Spawn of Rovagug being driven to destructive acts by their own specific sort of "allergic reaction" to a single aspect of the universe is neat, and sets a nice tone for future Spawn to follow. It does lead one to wonder what aspect of reality the Tarrasque rails against.

The Spawn features are certainly geared towards resulting in Godzilla/Juggernaut hybrids. I'd be a bit worried about these features being applied retroactively to the Tarrasque, but it has most of them already and does not have an alignment restriction. Kind of have to wonder about any possible Spawn vs Behemoth matches in the past or future...

I really want to know more about Unyeilding Kothoguz, the Dance of Disharmony.

Chemnosit, The Monarch Worm - Like wormsign, but with nothing but a downside.

For all of the direct danger this thing represents, and there's a lot, the worst thing about it is what it leaves in its wake(or comes back to finish off). Besides the hide that makes barbed devils look like underachievers and the laser eye in its mouth and the fact that it's a giant worm that destroys cities by moving, it's real bread and butter is driving people to devour others of their own race. So this thing can end a city just by hanging around and staying still. It's mere presence is enough to cause a localized cannibalistic apocalypse.

And it likes to watch.

The bright side is that it mostly stays in the Darklands. But much like that terrifying childhood moment when you realize that skeletons are very real and THERE'S ONE INSIDE YOU NOW there's not much solace in knowing that no matter where you go, there's Darklands underneath your feet.

Volnagur, The End-Singer - Well, forget about finding safety in the skies. And it SHOUTS ALL THE TIME SO ALL OF YOUR PLAYERS ARE GOING TO BE TALKING LIKE THIS ONCE YOU SET THE SCENE.

YEAH, IT SCREAMS CONSTANTLY. WITH ITS EYES. YEAH I DON'T EVEN KNOW. THAT QLIPPOTH THEORY IS LOOKING LIKE A LOCK AT THIS POINT. IT HAS A BUNCH OF TENTACLE TONGUES COMING OUT OF ITS MOUTH BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM INTERESTING IN EATING PEOPLE AS MUCH AS MAKING THEM BLEED OUT AND/OR GO CRAZY WITH BLOODLUST AND MURDER WHOEVER IS NEXT TO THEM. SO THAT'S ANOTHER CHAINREACTION CIVILIZATION KILLER. BUT HEY, NO EATING YOUR NEIGHBORS!

IT LOSES AND REGROWS ITS ROTTING WINGS CONSTANTLY TOO DUE TO ROT AND MOLD. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING MORE THERE. MAYBE AN ADDITIONAL CONTAIGION THREAT OR SOME POSSIBLE COMPONENT OF DANGEROUSLY POWERFUL MAGIC. THOSE MISMATCHED WINGS MAKE FOR QUITE THE IMAGE TOO. EASY TO IMAGINE THIS THING SPINNING WILDLY BUT SOMEHOW MANAGING TO REMAIN AIRBORNE AGAINST ALL REASON.

WHAT?

WHAT?

Spellscar Fext - That is a fun name. And describing these things in motion along with that art is going to be a lot of fun.

Basically undead that personify some of the warped and wild magic of the Mana Wastes. Funny enough, it seems that the folks they would most commonly threaten (Alkenstar) are also the ones they post the least risk to, outside of frequency.

Very neat weakness too. I can see that material getting more play and recognized importance in Alkenstar, but in the rest of the world those weapons are going to be unusual indeed. It could easily come across to players that they're being offered a joke item at worst, or something out of a fairy tale with questionable practical use out in the real world. And then the moment of truth comes... Have to wonder at the why of this vulnerability. Some metaphorical ideas come to mind.

edit-I just realized that Brigidine Azatas would totally clean up fighting these guys, considering what their blades technically are.

Beyond what they can do, their origins certainly give spellcasters of all sorts a big reason to want to stay the hell out of the Mana Wastes. Doesn't matter if you're Ezren, Kyra, Seelah, or Seltyiel, it's apparently frighteningly easy to become that.

Star Monarch - Hell yes, Desna stuff.

I love that the flesh of these space insect guys are poisonous a bit more than I probably should. Like the dextro- vs. levo-amino acid problem in Mass Effect.

They more than live up to their flavor as guardians of dreams and dreamers. They also present another method to get some Distant Worlds action on, since they can travel between worlds very quickly. Relatively speaking of course, but still very fast.

It is rather curious that no mention of the divine Night Monarch is made, not to mention any possible links between that unique being and this entire race. (well, free space for text was running low admittedly) Is the Night Monarch a divinely uplifted Star Monarch? Or are the Star Monarchs all descended from the Night Monarch. There definitely has to be a connection at the very least, considering the number of identical details between them even across creature type lines.

They are very pretty too.

Syrinx - I'm loving this.

A very bright looking people with this air of purity about them. Obviously highly civilized. They almost have an angelic aesthetic going for them. Typical alignment? Lawful Evil.

They seem to make for great refined villains, or possibly even just people your PCs could hold an initially polite conversation with that reveals some appalling moral myopia on the syrinx's part. These guys could easily head up a dystopia/false-utopia type culture, where they are absolutely assured that their means justify the ends for everyone beneath them.

This entry raises a lot of questions about the strix as well. How much if any sway do the syrinx have over the strix of Cheliax? If none, how much do the strix remember of their oppressors? It just feels like the strix have it horrifically rough both ways, oppressed from above by the syrinx and persecuted and pushed from their homes by humans. There's a possible parallel between them and the Shoanti too if the strix are largely freed now: Two peoples bred and trained as a servant caste to the "great" civilization of their masters who have broken away and tried to forge their own path, and are now trying desperately to hold onto what little they have in the face of aggressive colonialism. Just seems like people from both groups might have something to talk about.

Can't help but imagine a sort of "Noble Syrinx" with some sort of refined ability to command or dominate strix. Not something so potent that it renders any strix PCs unplayable, but something to drive home their role as refined, high-magicy oppressors. "You dare disobey your betters?! HOO do you think you are?!"

....

I'm sorry.

This is going back to the Thassilon comparison again, but it feels like these guys would take to Lissala worship very easily. The culture inferred by their single page certainly feels like it would have plenty of parallels with Xin-era Thassilon...maybe it was going strong around the same time?

These guys are just great. A perfect example of Light Is Not Good and a natural source of infuriatingly arrogant and self-righteoius villains heroic PCs would love to set themselves against.

Now we just need a dark but traditionally good-aligned race. :D (is it too late to have one swipe the Shae's aesthetic? ;) )


The creatures I really enjoyed in this book are:

Scarab Beetle (finally) / Charnel Colossus (awesome!) / Fungus Queen (I love all fungus creatures) / Ghoran / Monkey Goblin / Kakuen-Taka / Khaei / Termagant Kyton (disgusting but I love it) / Deadly Mantis / Mockingfey / Nightripper (extremly cool) / Oronci / Petrified Maiden / Memitim / Shoki / Viduus / Noqual Golem / Thin Man / Veiled Master / Water Wraith / Whirlmaw (Really a great addition) / Wound wyrm

The others are fine I suppose, but not my personal cup of tea.

Dark Archive

Why? Why is this book not at my FLGS yet?

<shakes fist at the heavens>

Mikaze is trying to kill me with these descriptions!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Yeah, I've taken to glaring at the postman as he fails to put the package in my mailbox. Stupid international shipping times.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Damn slow boats from America! Row faster!


Android/Beetle(scarab/stalk)/Cayhound/Ceru/Charnel Colossus/Ghoran/Giant,Shadow/Goblin Monkey/Golem(Noqual)/Khaei/Korir-Kokembe/Lashunta/Mana Waste Mutant/Mantis, Deadly/Petrified Maiden/Robot(Annihilater,Gearsmen,Myrmidon)/Spawn(Chemnosit,Volnagur)/Star Monarch/Syrinx/Thin Man/Vampire,Vetala/Veiled Master/Vespergaunt/Whirlmaw/Woundwyrm


When I ordered this from Amazon(.ca), they told me it wouldn't be available until after Christmas, and possibly the new year.

Uh... what?

Are these things coming to Canada via peddle car or is Amazon passing guesses off as facts again?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If you order from Amazon you may get the book cheaper, but you certainly won't get it very quickly. This has always been the tradeoff. If you want speed and reliability, grab it from Paizo.


Mikaze,

Fext are actually an element of Eastern European folklore, and in the legends only thing that could kill them were bullets made of glass.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Stratagemini wrote:
If you order from Amazon you may get the book cheaper, but you certainly won't get it very quickly. This has always been the tradeoff. If you want speed and reliability, grab it from Paizo.

And if you want speed, reliability, and a free PDF, subscribe :P


You know it should say that glass weapons should also get through it's DR but it doesn't.

Also the hardness of Robots shouldn't count againt electrical attacks but it doesn't say that as well.

Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:

So yeah, Termagants...

Okay, deep breath. Hold it together.

They have one hell of a powerful image going for them. Their description comes with quite a memorable way to introduce them built in: You see an iron maiden either floating or hanging from chains. Okay, sure, you can probably guess there's some kyton action about to happen. Like maybe the iron maiden is the kyton or some fetishized iron maiden-themed kyton is going to jump out. But then it opens and that spills out. And before the PCs even have time to get over their probably initial revulsion, they're being remade in her image.

And then people start dying and then things really get messy. The chain reactions that Termagants can start are downright nasty. Let them loose in any population center, and things are going to go south fast.

I think we have a winner for body horror in this book.

There's a possible contrast going on between them and the handmaiden devils. Both are tentacally fiendladies*, but while handmaidens have a mad hate on for children, the termagants seem hellbent on making their own.

...then again, those decorative skulls are awful small... D:

Ooooh I hadn't considered the termagant-gylou connection... In... ter... est... ing. I mean, the kytons passed through Hell and I'm sure they got plenty of ideas there. Who's to say they didn't pick up a tip or two. Though that does open up the whole, really fun door of "What did the kytons learn in Hell?" Nice.

You're getting a double dose of kyton love this month (and psychopomps!) just check out the kyton, ostarius (and psychopomp kere) in Pathfinder #64!

Mikaze wrote:
*We do so need some tentacally celestials

I've got you covered in Chronicle of the Righteous. ;)

Editor-in-Chief

Mikaze wrote:


The next eight pages: :D

Aw hell yeah, Psychopomps!

I love that these guys have been a thing for a while now. Their basic trappings are touched upon(what they do, why they do it, their mask motif, protection of souls, etc.) and they finally get their own short collection of names thrown out there for people to go nuts with, like the other big outsider-type groups. I have to admit I hope this gets reprinted in Bestiary 4 so that folks that mostly follow the core rules line don't miss out on it.

The ones that really get me to wondering were:

Mother Vulture - A lot of fun visuals coming out of this

Mrtyu, Death's Consort - Just have to wonder what his, her, or even it's deal is, and what it possibly says about Pharasma. Unless the Death Mrtyu is a consort to is the actual cosmic force or concept. In which case one really has to wonder what their deal is.

Narakaas the Cleansing Sentence - The title just brings to mind possible purgatory states or certain reincarnation cycles(both of the Irori-ish "you did it wrong, try again" flavor and "hey, you were of a higher caste and abused your station and members of the castes beneath you? Guess which caste you get to be born into next.")

The Pale Horse - Partly because it's a classic, and partly because it's a great example of some imagery that the psychopomps have "taken back".

Vale the Court of Ancestors - I keep bouncing around on what this could possibly be. A genius loci psychopomp, inhabited by the souls or memories of dead ancestors? A sort of living database-sort of genius loci that can allow visitors to visit souls and/or memories of ancestors? A hive-mind being made up of multiple honored souls? A genius loci sort of thing that is a literal vale somehwere in the Boneyard?

I loved how pretty much everyone plays nice around these folks except for the worst of the worst(the daemons and qlippoths) who damn near everyone else in the multiverse hates anyway. I love the feel that brings to the planar scene.

Awesome. Glad you're digging these. You didn't note most important one, though: Ceyanan the Shepherd. Who can be seen on the cover of this product here. So that's a pretty significant "hint-hint" for folks who loved that, and should be taken as a huge signpost/recommendation for folks who want more psychopomp action.

Aside from that, building up our multiverse has been a big thing for me for a long time - especially since I'm a totally Planescape goob. For the first several years of Golarion's existence the priority has had to be on developing the world itself. I think from the past year's offerings and those ahead you can see that, while our focus will remain on Golarion and specifically the Inner Sea Region, our willingness to take weird flights of fancy is increasing.

But you guys keep raving about psychopomps and you're sure to get more. ;)

Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:

Syrinx - I'm loving this.

A very bright looking people with this air of purity about them. Obviously highly civilized. They almost have an angelic aesthetic going for them. Typical alignment? Lawful Evil.

They seem to make for great refined villains, or possibly even just people your PCs could hold an initially polite conversation with that reveals some appalling moral myopia on the syrinx's part. These guys could easily head up a dystopia/false-utopia type culture, where they are absolutely assured that their means justify the ends for everyone beneath them.

This. Yes. Nods.

Mikaze wrote:
This entry raises a lot of questions about the strix as well. How much if any sway do the syrinx have over the strix of Cheliax? If none, how much do the strix remember of their oppressors? It just feels like the strix have it horrifically rough both ways, oppressed from above by the syrinx and persecuted and pushed from their homes by humans. There's a possible parallel between them and the Shoanti too if the strix are largely freed now: Two peoples bred and trained as a servant caste to the "great" civilization of their masters who have broken away and tried to forge their own path, and are now trying desperately to hold onto what little they have in the face of aggressive colonialism. Just seems like people from both groups might have something to talk about.

I've been setting up the syrinx for a pretty long time (didn't have the name till about 8 months ago, but knew they were out there). You get your first hints of them in the original write-up of the strix in Pathfinder AP #25 (check it out, it's true!). Here's the most pertinent part (though more goes on about how long the strix have been in the Inner Sea Region):

Pathfinder #25 p 83 wrote:
The great library of Iadara in Kyonin, however, bears faded and ancient scrolls of a strange leather. Said to have been saved from before the Age of Darkness, these man-sized rolls show both black and gray figures bearing great wings and mysterious masks sitting among the men of Azlant and the elves of the lost elven fortress of Adarshavir.

Those "masks" probably make a bit more sense now, huh?

From this we know that the syrinx were around during the time of Azlant, and were probably doing their racial manipulation at that point. So who knows if they gave the Azlanti a few pointers or picked up a few pointers from the Azlanti and their bosses. Regardless, lots of potential there.

Mikaze wrote:
Can't help but imagine a sort of "Noble Syrinx" with some sort of refined ability to command or dominate strix. Not something so potent that it renders any strix PCs unplayable, but something to drive home their role as refined, high-magicy oppressors. "You dare disobey your betters?! HOO do you think you are?!"

::Slow clap::

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
But you guys keep raving about psychopomps and you're sure to get more. ;)

*rave rave rave*

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mikaze wrote:
This entry raises a lot of questions about the strix as well. How much if any sway do the syrinx have over the strix of Cheliax?

I imagine a small cabal of syrinx watching their creations from the shadows, possibly even guiding them gently toward some sinister goal.

Paizo Employee Developer

MMCJawa wrote:

Mikaze,

Fext are actually an element of Eastern European folklore, and in the legends only thing that could kill them were bullets made of glass.

Yup, that's the reason for the weakness! I thought it would be straight-up too hard if the Spellscar fexts in this book were only vulnerable to glass bullets, though, so we went with glass weapons instead.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't understand the need for a second evil-fey archetype.

Paizo seem committed to making as many fey as possible Evil anyway.

Over half of the classic, playful CN species are evil already, but now we can make them extra evil...

I am so bored of evil fey.

I really miss capricious, mysterious fey.


I agree with you on that one GeraintElberion.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

Mikaze wrote:

So about the 800-ton elephant in the room:

Spawn of Rovagug

Besides including the mindshattering and mildly upsetting use of "Rovagug" and "copulation" in the same sentence, there's a lot of theorizing that really reinforces the "first qlippoth" theory. The idea of the Spawn of Rovagug being driven to destructive acts by their own specific sort of "allergic reaction" to a single aspect of the universe is neat, and sets a nice tone for future Spawn to follow. It does lead one to wonder what aspect of reality the Tarrasque rails against.

The Spawn features are certainly geared towards resulting in Godzilla/Juggernaut hybrids. I'd be a bit worried about these features being applied retroactively to the Tarrasque, but it has most of them already and does not have an alignment restriction. Kind of have to wonder about any possible Spawn vs Behemoth matches in the past or future...

I really want to know more about Unyeilding Kothoguz, the Dance of Disharmony.

Chemnosit, The Monarch Worm - Like wormsign, but with nothing but a downside.

For all of the direct danger this thing represents, and there's a lot, the worst thing about it is what it leaves in its wake(or comes back to finish off). Besides the hide that makes barbed devils look like underachievers and the laser eye in its mouth and the fact that it's a giant worm that destroys cities by moving, it's real bread and butter is driving people to devour others of their own race. So this thing can end a city just by hanging around and staying still. It's mere presence is enough to cause a localized cannibalistic apocalypse.

And it likes to watch.

The bright side is that it mostly stays in the Darklands. But much like that terrifying childhood moment when you realize that skeletons are very real and THERE'S ONE INSIDE YOU NOW there's not much solace in knowing that no matter where you go, there's Darklands underneath your feet.

Volnagur, The End-Singer - Well, forget about finding safety in the skies. And it SHOUTS ALL THE TIME SO ALL OF YOUR PLAYERS ARE GOING TO BE TALKING LIKE THIS ONCE YOU SET THE SCENE.

YEAH, IT SCREAMS CONSTANTLY. WITH ITS EYES. YEAH I DON'T EVEN KNOW. THAT QLIPPOTH THEORY IS LOOKING LIKE A LOCK AT THIS POINT. IT HAS A BUNCH OF TENTACLE TONGUES COMING OUT OF ITS MOUTH BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM INTERESTING IN EATING PEOPLE AS MUCH AS MAKING THEM BLEED OUT AND/OR GO CRAZY WITH BLOODLUST AND MURDER WHOEVER IS NEXT TO THEM. SO THAT'S ANOTHER CHAINREACTION CIVILIZATION KILLER. BUT HEY, NO EATING YOUR NEIGHBORS!

IT LOSES AND REGROWS ITS ROTTING WINGS CONSTANTLY TOO DUE TO ROT AND MOLD. THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING MORE THERE. MAYBE AN ADDITIONAL CONTAIGION THREAT OR SOME POSSIBLE COMPONENT OF DANGEROUSLY POWERFUL MAGIC. THOSE MISMATCHED WINGS MAKE FOR QUITE THE IMAGE TOO. EASY TO IMAGINE THIS THING SPINNING WILDLY BUT SOMEHOW MANAGING TO REMAIN AIRBORNE AGAINST ALL REASON.

WHAT?

WHAT?

I was totally laughing reading your descriptions of the Spawn of Rovagug. Nice job. :)

I think my favorite line was, "YEAH, IT SCREAMS CONSTANTLY. WITH ITS EYES. YEAH I DON'T EVEN KNOW." Poetry.


There are a lot of cool monsters in this book. I was particularly pleased with the Numeria stuff, which surprised me given that I like my sci-fi & fantasy separate except in specific sci-fantasy or sword-n-planet settings (not areas of a setting, distinct settings).

But monkey goblins capture the Flumph award this go-round. They should have been drawn wearing t-shirts that said "unecessary racial variant". For all of the coolness that Golarion Goblins possess, they saved none for these losers.

Yes, it's just a page in a book. However, it's a page that would have been far better served with an interesting monster vs. "uh, they're goblins but with prehensile tails!".


BPorter wrote:
But monkey goblins capture the Flumph award this go-round. They should have been drawn wearing t-shirts that said "unecessary racial variant". For all of the coolness that Golarion Goblins possess, they saved none for these losers.

I actually like the monkey goblins. Now we've got regular goblins, snake goblins, fish goblins, and monkey goblins. What do we get next?

I vote Dinosaur Goblins.

(That might be too much like kobolds, though. How about Bird Goblins?)


Cthulhudrew wrote:
BPorter wrote:
But monkey goblins capture the Flumph award this go-round. They should have been drawn wearing t-shirts that said "unecessary racial variant". For all of the coolness that Golarion Goblins possess, they saved none for these losers.

I actually like the monkey goblins. Now we've got regular goblins, snake goblins, fish goblins, and monkey goblins. What do we get next?

I vote Dinosaur Goblins.

(That might be too much like kobolds, though. How about Bird Goblins?)

Brain Goblins.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I thought they were cute myself...


Monkey Goblins rule.

Well we have only two 0HD bird races and none of them are small size.

I really wish there was more info on the Lashunta but at least we finally have there racial stats. Though it would be nice to see what the males look like one day.


Dragon78 wrote:
I really wish there was more info on the Lashunta but at least we finally have there racial stats. Though it would be nice to see what the males look like one day.

When they were described as squat and hairy, I immediately thought of Wolverine.

Silver Crusade

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:


You're getting a double dose of kyton love this month (and psychopomps!) just check out the kyton, ostarius (and psychopomp kere) in Pathfinder #64!

Got it! I really dug the atmosphere the "moody goth" Kere lend themselves to, and absolutely loved that page full of kyton rhetoric. (definitely going to be pulling from that for a somewhat related NPC in the adventure itself!)

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
*We do so need some tentacally celestials

I've got you covered in Chronicle of the Righteous. ;)

:D :D :D

I'm really eager to see exactly what that could be. :)

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Awesome. Glad you're digging these. You didn't note most important one, though: Ceyanan the Shepherd. Who can be seen on the cover of this product here. So that's a pretty significant "hint-hint" for folks who loved that, and should be taken as a huge signpost/recommendation for folks who want more psychopomp action.

I have to admit I'm behind on my Tales reading. Really need to check that one out...

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:

But you guys keep raving about psychopomps and you're sure to get more. ;)

starts passing out glowsticks and cranks up the music

We need those psychopomps guys!

In all seriousness, really do love how the multiverse has been growing bit by bit.

Patrick Renie wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:
Fext are actually an element of Eastern European folklore, and in the legends only thing that could kill them were bullets made of glass.
Yup, that's the reason for the weakness! I thought it would be straight-up too hard if the Spellscar fexts in this book were only vulnerable to glass bullets, though, so we went with glass weapons instead.

==The More You Know==* That's one creature I never would have guessed had real world roots. Just looking it up now is providing some interesting reading(and ideas on how to use them!). :)

Jason Nelson wrote:

I was totally laughing reading your descriptions of the Spawn of Rovagug. Nice job. :)

Making the people that made me smile smile as well makes me smile some more.

Seriously guys, all of you make really cool and fun stuff. Thanks, big time. :)

Silver Crusade

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I really wish there was more info on the Lashunta but at least we finally have there racial stats. Though it would be nice to see what the males look like one day.
When they were described as squat and hairy, I immediately thought of Wolverine.

I can't help but imagine some of the more squat Jack Kirby guys for some reason.

All of them with that face.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Erik Mona wrote:

I think I toyed with the idea that maybe there "aren't" any new Ghorans, so that the race is in a state of constant decline.

I dunno... if you did, it would seem kind of mean to introduce the first (balanced) playable plant race and then declare them to be in a state of decline. Kind of discourages GMs or players (except for angst-muffins) from using them as player-options.

I mean, I know plot-based scarcity by Golarion core assumptions doesn't necessarily mean anything, but... eh, there are a lot of GMs who place a lot of stock in creating a consistent worldview.

===

Cheapy wrote:
Treerazer would eat annihilators for breakfast. And then it would go look for another one to eat for second breakfast.

Actually, I imagine Treerazer seeing one of these Annihilators and the devastation they can do to a verdant landscape and going “Poppa wants.”

I mean, he’s Tree Razer, as in, he loves to burn trees.

Random note for those who think it's unstoppable: For a CR 16, the Annihilator has lousy saves. Disintegrate, anyone?

====

All that aside, there is one thing that kind of bugs me about the Inner Sea Bestiary even at the same time as I enjoy the entries and am glad to have them. This book was advertised as one devoted to creatures not inspired by mythology or other sources, created just for Golarion.

But... there are giant beetles and giant mantises, creatures which are found pretty much anywhere you can find insects ignoring square-cube law.

And androids and robots are science-fiction staples, which hardly seems Golarion-exclusive, especially if I want to run a sci-fi/fantasy kitbash of my own. (like the Steampunk game I was running.)

And Psychopomps seem more like avatars of a multiversal truth than Golarion-exclusive.

And Vetala actually have a basis in Hindu mythology as ghost-like entities who use possession to inhabit the dead.

So... I feel a bit weird. I'm not entirely sure why it bothers me, since I have this book and can use them as I see fit, but it does. Does this mean these creatures won't ever be included in actual core Bestiaries instead of this one softcover which only gets one run instead of reprints as needed?


Just as an FYI, all of the creatures in the Inner Sea Bestiary have been added to the PathfinderWiki, albeit only in stub form for now.


GeraintElberion wrote:

I don't understand the need for a second evil-fey archetype.

Paizo seem committed to making as many fey as possible Evil anyway.

Over half of the classic, playful CN species are evil already, but now we can make them extra evil...

I am so bored of evil fey.

I really miss capricious, mysterious fey.

You are tired of evil fey? Hehe so you rather see 100.000 pixies and nymphs?

No thank you, keep the evil fey coming Paizo, don't you dare go pussy on Fossergrim or any other fey still not paizonized, I really think we have enough of those rainbow/butterfly fairies already. (Brownie/Pixie/Nixie/Atomi/Nymph/probably much more)

And btw, both the Thin Man and the Mockingfey are NEUTRAL (not evil) fey.


My own question is about the Vetala: Is it inspired by the Leanan Sidhe? As they also prey on mortals with much inspiration and creativity?

Paizo Employee Developer

Sincubus wrote:
My own question is about the Vetala: Is it inspired by the Leanan Sidhe? As they also prey on mortals with much inspiration and creativity?

Vetala are inspired by Hindu mythology.

Editor-in-Chief

Mikaze wrote:
==The More You Know==*

LOLZ!

Editor-in-Chief

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adam Daigle wrote:
Sincubus wrote:
My own question is about the Vetala: Is it inspired by the Leanan Sidhe? As they also prey on mortals with much inspiration and creativity?
Vetala are inspired by Hindu mythology.

Totally true. Here's the wikipedia link.

I'm loath to even bring it up, but there's also a far nerdier inspiration you can read about on my blog (linked on my profile, just click my name above). It's been a big monster month for me, so I go on over there a bit about all of the creatures I did in this book and in Pathfinder #64 and the inspirations behind them.

Sovereign Court

Sincubus wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:

I don't understand the need for a second evil-fey archetype.

Paizo seem committed to making as many fey as possible Evil anyway.

Over half of the classic, playful CN species are evil already, but now we can make them extra evil...

I am so bored of evil fey.

I really miss capricious, mysterious fey.

You are tired of evil fey?

Yep, that's why I posted my comment.

Sincubus wrote:
Hehe so you rather see 100.000 pixies and nymphs?

Nope, there's no need to try and reduce my opinion to a crude caricature.

Why did you do that?

Sincubus wrote:
No thank you, keep the evil fey coming Paizo, don't you dare go pussy on Fossergrim or any other fey still not paizonized, I really think we have enough of those rainbow/butterfly fairies already. (Brownie/Pixie/Nixie/Atomi/Nymph/probably much more)

Wait, evil creatures are a sign of a tough, macho publisher? And CN fey make Paizo "pussy"?

Really? Is that how you think? That's astonishing.

Sincubus wrote:
And btw, both the Thin Man and the Mockingfey are NEUTRAL (not evil) fey.

I know, I am not sure what part of my post might have led you to believe that I didn't know that. Would you, please, explain?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The only response I would say in regards to evil fey is to point out that this book really don't try to fill or satisfy specific niches (other than a range of CRs, and different creature types—it does strive to do that!).

These are canonical creatures in the campaign setting. If the fey creatures contained within were not presented the way they were, they wouldn't be true to how they were originally presented in the setting. And then other people would be unhappy, and rightfully so.

It would be like if the first appearance of the hellknights depicted them as paladins archetypes who like to dress in black, but secretly had 'hearts of gold'. It would be unsatisfying and kinda bait and switch.

I'm not telling you that what you feel is wrong, or invalid—not at all.

If you want more good fey creatures, that's great feedback and should be noted and considered. You're entitled to like what you like, and I wouldn't try to tell you that you're wrong to feel that way.

But these creatures? They were already fairly predetermined, and they augment and enrich material that has already been introduced and added to the campaign setting. They need to be true (as much as possible) to their original vision.

Sovereign Court

I understand why the Blighted Fey exists, but that just highlights the flaw that most of the memorable fey in the setting seem to be evil antagonists instead of chaotic characters.

I'm a bit surprised that Thin Men are fey, and they seem like CN-but-really-evil with their schtick of kidnapping and eating sentient races.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
GeraintElberion wrote:

I understand why the Blighted Fey exists, but that just highlights the flaw that most of the memorable fey in the setting seem to be evil antagonists instead of chaotic characters.

I'm a bit surprised that Thin Men are fey, and they seem like CN-but-really-evil with their schtick of kidnapping and eating sapient races.

Well, that brings up an interesting question, which is to say, when does willingness to hunt and consume other sentient beings inherently make a race evil?

Lizardfolk are perfectly willing to take the meat=meat & we're-all-animals-so-predation-happens-deal-with-it-city-boy attitude.

Mimics are as smart as people, but they eat dungeoneers. They're pretty much designed to do just that.

Vegepygmies practically require killing members of other races to reproduce.

Hmmm. You know, playing a vegepygmy might be fun... I wonder what their RP total is.

Silver Crusade

Almost there.

Thin Man - Okay, first thing's first: Some expectations management. These guys have been suggested as Slender Man analogues here and there, but those looking for a straight-up Golarion Slender Man aren't really going to find it here. It is still a very cool creature, but it's different from what some may expect given those earlier comparisons.

What it does do is that creepy as hell appearing/disappearing act coupled with a knack for blending in with the local flora. So yep, you can certainly get a bit of that "wait, that wasn't a tree!" flavor with this guy, 'cept with reeds.

They are gangly as all get out too. Like those extra joints in the arms. And the lack of a nose. :) Their reach is going to catch some players offguard, I just know it.

I'd be half-tempted to not even use these guys as hostiles. Just have them hiding in the reeds. Watching quietly while bending with the wind...

Umbral Shepherd - Oh man, this is another one of those whose most disturbing elements are the setting implications they bring along with them.

First, their visuals. Creepy out of the box, and looking at them further, these guys are disturbingly easy to skin with an H. R. Giger aesthetic and it fits perfectly. That, combined with what they do and who they're connected to, has me strongly considering using these guys with the Dominion of the Black.

Putting us back in body horror territory(srsly, this book), Shepherds can lead to some cool/unsettling visuals if your players meet a host multiple times across a wide enough span of time. Gets even worse if that host is a former PC that they want to save, and who is only deteriiorating more and more each time they see them.

The way their attacks work and how it's talents are put to use by the Kuthonites brings to mind some really wince-worthy body modification possibilities. Let's just say that if you need an extra body cavity to smuggle something in, these are the guys you need to see.

The possibility of them inspiring the Joyful Things leads to a lot of squicky territory too. So now not only are you now visualizing the Shepherds as kyton-fetishized quadruple amputees(which takes us back to H.R. Giger territory), there's the possibility that this is what the Joyful Things may very well become on the other side. Just the idea of people mutilating themselves or each other to emulate these terrible things found in the depths of the great beyond is nightmare fuel all on its own.

Guys, I'm starting to think that the Kuthonites aren't entirely sane.

Vampire, Vetala - Them exotic bald girls. In all seriousness, that art and the text make me want more Vudra/Jalmeray even more than before.

Vampires from folklore all across the world have a much more varied diet than just blood, and here we get a particularly fun compulsive thirst, something more intangible but still vital to the victim. They are also incredibly adept at enabling undead huntin' mysteries with their ability to make their victims simply forget what happened.

The collection of abilities(and vulnerabilities) they have are a ton of fun. In a lot of ways they play to a more subtle flavor of "master vampire"-type villain. They can possess the living and the dead, they feed off the potential greatness of others, they have incredibly mundane yet effective weaknesses that anyone could take advantage of(to a point). And the relatively gentler methods for putting them to rest permanently are nice as well, and may very well throw some people used to the more visceral and grim methods needed for standard vamps. It's rather poetic too, considering how it ties directly into their possible origins as unblessed souls denied their proper burial rites; it's up to the players to make that right or it'll never end.

There is one odd detail: Elves are immune to their paralysis ability. While Golarion has a very specific theoretical reason(and a very cool one, I loved the "Kabiri was an elf" connection) for why this is the case with ghoul paralysis, there isn't any such backstory related here. Maybe it's a carry-over from ghoul paralysis, or maybe I'm missing something in the flavor.

I just love the feel these vampires have. They lend themselves wonderfully to less straightforward villains and more...I don't know. Romantic horror? (mostly) Bloodless horror? They could certainly be played to feel just like Bram Stoker's Dracula, but they could easily go more ghost story-ish too. If any of that makes any kind of sense. It's late.

The use of oracle levels, especially with the haunted curse, really fits the Vetala like a glove.

Gah, now I want to use these in Shattered Star too. Kaer Maga is going to be so crowded when my players finally get there...

This has been on the tip of my tongue the whole time: They're reverse-muses. The artists, the poets, those that inspire others...vetalas are drawn to that flame, trying to keep warm. And they inevitably snuff that creative fire out in the process.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

The Thin Men actually seem to occupy the same... emotional/game-role/ecological sort of a niche as chokers, except with more joints instead of none.

Editor-in-Chief

Mikaze wrote:
There is one odd detail: Elves are immune to their paralysis ability. While Golarion has a very specific theoretical reason(and a very cool one, I loved the "Kabiri was an elf" connection) for why this is the case with ghoul paralysis, there isn't any such backstory related here. Maybe it's a carry-over from ghoul paralysis, or maybe I'm missing something in the flavor.

Maybe all the info just isn't out there yet too. You'll get all the facts, just not all at once. Patience. ;)

Expect a bit more about vetalas in Player Companion: Blood of the Night. Not specifically on this topic, but on plenty more. :)


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Mikazw wrote:
This has been on the tip of my tongue the whole time: They're reverse-muses. The artists, the poets, those that inspire others...vetalas are drawn to that flame, trying to keep warm. And they inevitably snuff that creative fire out in the process..

Very cool imagery!

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:


That still raises some very creepy questions:

At what point did the Nexians realize that the Ghorans were sentient, or becoming sentient?

Certainly hundreds of years ago. Maybe longer. There are Ghorans of power and influence in Quantium, certainly.

Mikaze wrote:


At what point did the Nexians stop eating Ghorans?

Ummmm. I guess it depends on what you mean by "Nexians." Certainly lots of people still eat them. I imagine that upscale restaurants still offer some Ghoran dishes "off menu," to the right customers. They are, after all, delicious. No doubt gourmands from all over Golarion sail to Quantium in hope of scoring a taste of these fabled creatures.

(and was there any delay between those two answers? :O)

Mikaze wrote:
Still have to wonder just what kind of rights Ghorans have in Nex. It is a very strange land.... I mean, their most famous method of execution is dumping people in that ooze lake. Which might not be killing them so much as absorbing them....

They do not, as a people, have formal representation on the Council of Three and Nine, and are seen as outsiders given their original growth outside the city walls. They're sort of underclass in that they are marginalized, but they've been around for centuries (at least), and have gathered a modicum of political clout and power. Their tenuous connections to their 'past lives" gives them a long-term perspective many others lack, and it's likely only a matter of time before their influence is felt more keenly in the region.

The Exchange

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Player Companion: Blood of the Night. Not specifically on this topic, but on plenty more. :)

You tease. But...YAY.


My question is a more practical one and I apologize if this was answered somewhere in the thread, but I didn't have time to read all the pages.

Will future APs use creatures from this book?

I.e. If I intend to run your APs, will I need this book to know what the various creatures' stats will be?

601 to 650 of 705 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.