Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Equipment (OGL)

4.10/5 (based on 30 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Equipment (OGL)

Add Print Edition $49.99

Add PDF $9.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Choose your weapon and stride boldly into battle with Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Equipment! Within this handy, all-in-one reference, you'll find 400 jam-packed pages of magic items and adventuring gear, from simple camping equipment and weapons up to the most earth-shaking artifacts. Included as well are handy rules references, convenient price lists, and extensive random treasure generation tables, all organized to help you find what you need, when you need it. With this vast catalog of tools and treasures, the days of boring dragon hoards are over, and your hero will never be caught unprepared again.

Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Equipment is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds on more than 10 years of system development and open playtests featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Equipment includes:

  • Thousands of items both magical and mundane, including the best weapons, armors, magic items, and gear from the Pathfinder RPG hardcover line and select other Pathfinder sources, as well as hundreds of never-before-seen items.
  • Tons of special materials and magical abilities to help you create exactly the magic item you've been looking for.
  • A wealth of specific magic items, organized by type to ensure your character is always wearing as much magic as possible.
  • An innovative new treasure generation system, designed to help GMs roll up exactly what they need, every time.
  • New alchemical weapons, tools, and poisons.
  • Kits to help your character get the most out of her skills or profession, plus new mounts, animal companions, and retainers.
  • Descriptions of every item, plus hundreds of full-color illustrations to aid in window-shopping.
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-449-8

Errata
Last Updated - 5/19/2016

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1123


See Also:

1 to 5 of 30 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.10/5 (based on 30 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

5/5


If It's Not Here, You Probably Don't Need It

5/5

Ultimate Equipment is a whopping, 400-page collection of stuff to kit out your Pathfinder character. With stats and prices included for everything, the book is a shopper’s dream. It compiles, occasionally revises, and significantly expands the gear options from previous Pathfinder hardcovers as well as various other Paizo products. The book doesn’t have *everything*, of course—new books continued to be published after it, containing new items—but it does have a wealth of gear for the vast majority of characters and builds. The lists of items and their descriptions is broken up with a lot of illustrations, and the book is in full-colour. Structurally, the book is sectioned into an introduction, six chapters, and three appendices (plus an index, crucial for a book like this).

The book’s introduction is just two pages long. It starts by going over where the items in the book are drawn from, noting that there are also several new ones (it’s great to see several contributions from the RPG Superstar contests). Each chapter then gets a paragraph or two of description, but the structure of the book is pretty self-explanatory.

Chapter 1 is Arms & Armor, surely the most visited part of the book. The 46 pages of material here cover all of the well-known weapons and armor in the game, but also includes a *lot* of fairly obscure ones. There are good descriptions of the equipment and helpful, clearly-written refresher on rules elements related to them (so you don’t have to switch to the Core Rulebook to remember what Armor Check Penalty affects, for example). There’s an extensive overview of the firearms rules, an organisation of the fighter weapon groups, a section on special materials (including some really interesting ones!), and a section for gear made of primitive material like bone or stone.

Chapter 2 is Gear and comes in at 56 pages. Everything from general adventuring gear (like rope) to mounts to clothing to lodging and services are covered here. Alchemical items receive several pages of coverage (a lot of the alchemical remedies are as good as spellcasting, and much cheaper), and there’s a couple of pages on poisons (with a good, clear explanation of how they work). I’ve always found particular value from the section on services—the book has costs for things like hiring a lawyer, a doctor, or a scribe. A lot of players (i.e., those not as interested in equipment) will appreciate the expanded list of class kits to get things done quickly.

Chapter 3 is Magic Arms and Armor and is 38 pages long. This chapter has weapon and armor special abilities as well as specific named weapons and armor. Some of the named weapons are really cool because they can do some things you just can’t do with the generic list of special abilities. Other items I noticed were things like folding plate (a brooch that instantly covers or removes a suit of full plate mail—like Iron Man in the movies!) and burrowing bullets (staggers living creatures as it burrows through their body).

Chapter 4 is Rings, Rods, and Staves (28 pages). I find most of the items in this chapter too expensive with effects easily duplicated more cheaply elsewhere. Most staffs, for example, just aren’t worth it apart from the few with one-of-a-kind abilities. On the other hand, the metamagic rods are surprisingly cheap for the instant versatility they give spellcasters, and probably should have been priced higher.

Chapter 5 is Wondrous Items and is the longest in the book at 122 pages! The chapter is broken down into body slots, so it’s easy to find something to fill an empty slot on your inventory sheet. There’s a ton of fun things that one hardly ever sees because folks are too busy with optimising every +1 they can out of the game. Neat things I noticed include the belt of the weasel, the shirt of immolation, the cloak of fiery vanishing, the bracelet of friends (in case you *do* split the party), and abjurant salt (could be a real life-saver!).

Chapter 6 is the shortest chapter (26 pages) and covers Artifacts and Other Items. The “Other” category referred to consists of cursed and intelligent items. I’m not a fan of intelligent items--they require the GM to role-play an omnipresent NPC and their ability to cast spells makes the action economy of the game too unbalanced. On the other hand, I am the evil type of GM who likes cursed items, and wishes we saw more of them--classics like the berserker sword and innovations like the dust of sneezing and choking really twist things around! Artifacts aren’t something I’ve ever had much opportunity to use.

The three appendices contain *extensive* random tables to generate various types of treasure, gems, and art objects. If you want a random level 1 potion or level 4 wand, this is the place to come.

Everything in Ultimate Equipment is setting-neutral, so you don’t have to worry about adventure spoilers (unlike those naughty players who just start googling stuff!). The items are also better vetted, and I wish more tables just limited available options to this book. If you can’t find what you want here, you probably don’t really need it!


By far my favorite PF book

5/5

I didnt realize how much I would be using this book when I picked it up. It is by far one of the most valuable PF books available. Get it to add all the right contexts to your partys equipment.


2/5

I'm rather disappointed with Ultimate Equipment overall. It reminds me an awful lot of the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium, with insanely cheap items and an overabundance of swift actions.

I find UE nearly useless for treasure generation since "common" Core items end up being so rare, and 80% of what else it generates are broken (too powerful), over-exotically flavored, or too niche. The Treasure Tables themselves, while useful for certain situations, seem turn every NPC into a Christmas Tree of items, half of which I would have to look up to even know what they do.

There aren't quite so many over-powered/dirt-cheap items as the MIC, although the exceptions are pretty exceptional (e.g. the PFS-banned Quick Runner's Shirt and Bracers of the Falcon). At least it fixed the APG staff prices though, and yes, the layout is useful, though I find it encourages metagamy "fill every slot" mentality


excellent book

5/5

This is a great book for finding equipment when cashing out your loot in the game.


1 to 5 of 30 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
1 to 50 of 705 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I know everyone has known about this book for a while, but now it's formally announced!

The cover image shows the final art, though the cover layout itself may potentially see minor revisions.

Shadow Lodge

Woot! Can't wait.

Shadow Lodge

First I noticed the price, seemed a little high, then the page. Hmmm.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Will there be any rules in here or will it just be catalog?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragnmoon wrote:
Will there be any rules in here or will it just be catalog?
Product Description wrote:
Lavishly illustrated with hundreds and hundreds of full-color illustrations and organized in a new easy-to-reference format that groups magic items by “slot,” Ultimate Equipment sorts all magical and mundane equipment released in the hardcover Pathfinder Roleplaying Game line to date with tons and tons of new items to create the most comprehensive treasure resource ever created for the Pathfinder RPG!

Emphasis mine.


Nifty!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
Emphasis mine.

That did not actual answer my question, New Items still describes it as a Catalog. I want to know if there will be any new Item Related Rules...

Shadow Lodge

As in Weapon Tricks, Feats, and Item Creatin rules, I think.


Looking forward to this one!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Nice new cover, even though the characters' faces look a little off but I do love the detail on all the items.

400 pages wow can't wait.

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

Not a lot (and maybe "no") new rules. It's more or less entirely item descriptions.


So who has completed their time machine so I can hand over my money now?


12 people marked this as a favorite.
Cavian wrote:
So who has completed their time machine so I can hand over my money now?

You can find it on page 262.


Cheapy wrote:
Cavian wrote:
So who has completed their time machine so I can hand over my money now?
You can find it on page 262.

So I owe you something along the line of 500,000 gold for a use of one of your daily charges and running it through a duplication process?

Sovereign Court

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be!

--Vrock, stock, & barrel!

Silver Crusade

Really, really hoping there are some options here for monks to enhance their unarmed strike(and only their unarmed strike) that fits their flavor. Like wrappings for the arms and legs, or body, something that infuses the entire body with their enhancements.


Any word on new kinds of mechanics?


I like the continuing trend of other iconics makes covers.


"...Ultimate Equipment sorts all magical and mundane equipment released in the hardcover Pathfinder Roleplaying Game line to date..."

How much duplication will there be between Adventurer's Armory, APG, and this? For that matter, are we going to see reprint of Core Rulebook items?

Grand Lodge

Will wondrous items be a collection of random items like they are now, or will they get an organization something like Magic Item Compendium did?


Any chance this could be formatted like a Golarion Catalog of some kind? ;)

Liberty's Edge

Finally! I can't wait to see this in August :)

Scarab Sages

I'm really hoping that the new content includes more mechanics too, and not just lists of items.

I can't wait to see all the new magic items, and maybe artifacts!

Sovereign Court

Can't wait! Any idea how much of this will be legal for society play?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sketchpad wrote:
Any chance this could be formatted like a Golarion Catalog of some kind? ;)

None whatsoever.

It's part of the rulebook line, and is thus world-neutral.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mercrutio wrote:

I'm really hoping that the new content includes more mechanics too, and not just lists of items.

I can't wait to see all the new magic items, and maybe artifacts!

As Erik mentioned above... there's very few, and probably no new mechanics in this book. It's pretty much all items, all the time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Brunius wrote:
Can't wait! Any idea how much of this will be legal for society play?

My preference: As much of it as possible. (although there'll be plenty of items that kinda price themselves out of PFS's price range, of course...)

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Though I would not expect a lot, will there be any Gunslinger support in this? Guns? Weapon Special Abilities?

Be forewarned I am about to ask about Gunslinger support in another product. ;)

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Brunius wrote:
Can't wait! Any idea how much of this will be legal for society play?

From the design end, much effort was made to get plenty of lower-priced items in. That should help with new items appearing on PFS Chronicles.


God I hope it's not formatted like the magic item compendium, that thing was a royal pain to find anything in, I trust in Paizo to improve.


Derek Vande Brake wrote:

"...Ultimate Equipment sorts all magical and mundane equipment released in the hardcover Pathfinder Roleplaying Game line to date..."

How much duplication will there be between Adventurer's Armory, APG, and this? For that matter, are we going to see reprint of Core Rulebook items?

I'm kind of hoping it does repeat the core stuff, having everything in one book is just spectacular for us old guys who like the dead tree tables. Nice for noobies too.

Hopefully the descriptions actually describe the weirder weapons and clear up their implementation. (Cough Rope Dart, ahem). Some art on things like Mere clubs, Aklys etc. There are enough weird weapons now to warrant it. My newer, less weapon savvy players could really use this type of assistance. The Urumi almost gave my brother in law an aneurism.

I'm with Mikaze on the Monk enhancement for UA strikes. Monk substitution weapons would be cool for monks from non traditional backgrounds.

It's the new alchemical items that have me excited. Prior to Paizo this was one of the most overlooked areas in equipment, high level pricy alchemicals could be so cool.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is there any chance we'll see a Treasure Table for random treasure generation? Possibly akin to the tables in the 3.5 srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/treasure.htm#usingTheTreasureTable) with some additional tables to include specific magic items/weapons or magical properties for items/weapons?

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It repeats the core rulebook stuff, but a lot of it has been rearranged by magic item "slot." We agonized over this, but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

Shadow Lodge

What are the chances of item sets that grant bonuses based on the number of items from that set worn?


this would be the perfect place to plug in a artificer type class.
One thats not a vancian caster like in 3.5 but rather a non magical wand / gear junky that can bring out the absolute best in any item and craft any item.


Stasiscell wrote:

this would be the perfect place to plug in a artificer type class.

One thats not a vancian caster like in 3.5 but rather a non magical wand / gear junky that can bring out the absolute best in any item and craft any item.

I believe there won't be anything but equipment in this book. No new base classes, no archetypes, no spells.

...maybe equipment trick feats, who knows.


Cheapy wrote:
Stasiscell wrote:

this would be the perfect place to plug in a artificer type class.

One thats not a vancian caster like in 3.5 but rather a non magical wand / gear junky that can bring out the absolute best in any item and craft any item.

I believe there won't be anything but equipment in this book. No new base classes, no archetypes, no spells.

...maybe equipment trick feats, who knows.

i know and i doubt there will be feats as well, dont get me wrong it looks like a awesome product and ill still be getting it but talk about missed opportunity with the artificer / feats.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Erik Mona wrote:
It repeats the core rulebook stuff, but a lot of it has been rearranged by magic item "slot." We agonized over this, but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

And thank you for that :) I know you're going to get complaints from people about paying for old material again, but from me a big thanks. It's such a pain having to search through four different rulebooks for the thing you want. After having just done similarly for a Wizard character (except with spells) I'm hoping you're planing to do a Ultimate Spells at some point with updated Class Lists :)


Erik Mona wrote:
We agonized over this [including core in ultimate equipment], but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

I can get behind this decision: a catalogue without the basic stuff isn't a complete catalogue. I would have hated the "This is the ultimate equipment book! ...once you add its content to this, and this... oh, and this too".

'findel


All in all I am glad to see this. It's a huge help not to have to pull out four differnt books every time I need to referance something. And I agree with others that some more art would be wonderful. I love the pictures in these books but like it was say there are times where items exist and me nor my players really know what we are looking at.


I wonder, if there's going to be new alchemical stuff, will the alternate rules for alchemical items as additional material components for spells from Adventurer's Armory be coming back?

Contributor

Ashram wrote:
I wonder, if there's going to be new alchemical stuff, will the alternate rules for alchemical items as additional material components for spells from Adventurer's Armory be coming back?

New items, totally. Don't expect alternate rules systems about equipment, though. This is all pieces of equipment all the time, not discussions about them or tricks to use them.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

A 400 page book of alchemical, mundane, and magical items is fine by me.

I just hope that we get some high level alchemical items.


Dragon78 wrote:
I just hope that we get some high level alchemical items.

+1

Been a problem with d20 for a decade. Now that there's a real alchemist base class with continuing support, it's needed more than ever.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Azazyll wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I just hope that we get some high level alchemical items.

+1

Been a problem with d20 for a decade. Now that there's a real alchemist base class with continuing support, it's needed more than ever.

Alchemical items are NOT the same as items for alchemists.

One of the main elements of alchemical items is that they're "small magic." They're not MEANT to be things for high level players to look forward to. Or even things for mid level characters to do the same for. They're meant to be relatively inexpensive but still useful tools for low level characters.

Doesn't mean we can't and won't do magic items specifically geared toward alchemsts... but they'll be MAGIC items, not alchemical items.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Erik Mona wrote:

It repeats the core rulebook stuff, but a lot of it has been rearranged by magic item "slot." We agonized over this, but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

I'm glad you did; in fact, I wouldn't mind if you had repeated most of the stuff (mundane and magical) from AA and APG as well. Sometimes it's a serious pain to equip mid/high level PCs and NPCs with three books open on the table...


Asgetrion wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:

It repeats the core rulebook stuff, but a lot of it has been rearranged by magic item "slot." We agonized over this, but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

I'm glad you did; in fact, I wouldn't mind if you had repeated most of the stuff (mundane and magical) from AA and APG as well. Sometimes it's a serious pain to equip mid/high level PCs and NPCs with three books open on the table...

I totally appreciate the convenience factor of bringing together already-seen material from other Paizo products. But speaking as someone who already has all the other Paizo products I can't understate how much I hope that 'tons and tons of new items' translates into at least 25% of the book.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:

Alchemical items are NOT the same as items for alchemists.

One of the main elements of alchemical items is that they're "small magic." They're not MEANT to be things for high level players to look forward to. Or even things for mid level characters to do the same for. They're meant to be relatively inexpensive but still useful tools for low level characters.

Doesn't mean we can't and won't do magic items specifically geared toward alchemsts... but they'll be MAGIC items, not alchemical items.

But WHY? I mean, I get that the Alchemist has bombs, and elixirs and such, but one of the things I like about them is their mastery of the Craft: Alchemy skill. With the right preparation, they can effectively be Batman. Why does alchemy have to top out at about fifth level when magic items push them rudely out of the way?

Where's the love for the Greater Tanglefoot bag that effects whole rooms?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
The Far Wanderer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
Erik Mona wrote:

It repeats the core rulebook stuff, but a lot of it has been rearranged by magic item "slot." We agonized over this, but eventually sided with making this book a more useful reference by including pretty much everything.

I'm glad you did; in fact, I wouldn't mind if you had repeated most of the stuff (mundane and magical) from AA and APG as well. Sometimes it's a serious pain to equip mid/high level PCs and NPCs with three books open on the table...

I totally appreciate the convenience factor of bringing together already-seen material from other Paizo products. But speaking as someone who already has all the other Paizo products I can't understate how much I hope that 'tons and tons of new items' translates into at least 25% of the book.

Core+APG magic items = 130 pages, so even with all the Golarion-sey items I think we're looking at least 200 pages of new content or so.


uriel222 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Alchemical items are NOT the same as items for alchemists.

One of the main elements of alchemical items is that they're "small magic." They're not MEANT to be things for high level players to look forward to. Or even things for mid level characters to do the same for. They're meant to be relatively inexpensive but still useful tools for low level characters.

Doesn't mean we can't and won't do magic items specifically geared toward alchemsts... but they'll be MAGIC items, not alchemical items.

But WHY? I mean, I get that the Alchemist has bombs, and elixirs and such, but one of the things I like about them is their mastery of the Craft: Alchemy skill. With the right preparation, they can effectively be Batman. Why does alchemy have to top out at about fifth level when magic items push them rudely out of the way?

Where's the love for the Greater Tanglefoot bag that effects whole rooms?

Ah yes, the fabled bag of black tentacles.

1 to 50 of 705 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Equipment (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.