Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (PFRPG)

4.50/5 (based on 24 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $41.99

Hardcover Unavailable

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

In the sleepy coastal town of Sandpoint, evil is brewing. An attack by crazed goblins reveals the shadows of a forgotten past returning to threaten the town—and perhaps all of Varisia. The Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path begins with this goblin raid and takes players on an epic journey through the land of Varisia as they track a cult of serial killers, fight backwoods ogres, stop an advancing army of stone giants, delve into ancient dungeons, and finally face off against a wizard-king in his ancient mountaintop city. This hardcover compilation updates the fan-favorite campaign to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game rules with revised and new content in more than 400 pages packed with mayhem, excitement, and adventure!

Celebrating both the fifth anniversary of the Pathfinder Adventure Path and the tenth anniversary of Paizo Publishing, this new edition expands the original campaign with new options and refined encounters throughout, incorporating 5 years of community feedback.

    The Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition contains:
  • All six chapters of the original Adventure Path, expanded and updated for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.
  • Articles on the major locations of Rise of the Runelords: sleepy Sandpoint, the ancient Thassilonian city of Xin-Shalast, and others.
  • Revelations on the sinister magic of Thassilon, with updated spells, magic items, and details on tracking sin points throughout the campaign.
  • A bestiary featuring eight monsters updated from the original Adventure Path, plus an all-new terror.
  • Dozens of new illustrations, never-before-seen characters, location maps, and more!

The Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition is not part of any subscription.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-436-8

FAQ:

Q: Will you be doing hardcover compilations of all of your Adventure Paths?
A: No. This is a special celebration of our very first Adventure Path on its 5th Anniversary. Several of the original volumes of Rise of the Runelords have been unavailable in print for a long time, yet it remains one of our most popular adventure paths; that circumstance presents a unique opportunity for us to expand and update it for use with the Pathfinder RPG, and to apply lessons we've learned about making Adventure Paths over the last half-decade. Our other adventure paths are largely still in print, and many of them were designed for use with the Pathfinder RPG to begin with; we have no plans to recompile them.

Q: Is there anything missing from the original AP volumes?
A: Yes—otherwise, this book would be more than 600 pages long! Some of the monsters and other things created for Rise of the Runelords are now part of the official Pathfinder RPG rules, so they're not reprinted here. The original volumes also included monster ecologies, bestiary entries, and other campaign setting material that isn't directly used in the adventure itself; those items are also not present in this collection. The Pathfinder Journal fiction featuring Eando Kline is not presented here either, but it has been compiled—along with the installments from the subsequent two Adventure Paths—as The Compass Stone, now available in ePub form. We have also replaced some of the artwork from the previous edition, and replaced the six individual introductions with one new one.

Q: What is included in the digital version?
A: In addition to the full version, the Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition download includes the Interactive Maps and a Lite version for reading on portable electronic devices.

Download the Web Enhancement! - (180 KB zip PDF)
Originally posted to the Paizo blog for Pathfinder Adventure Path #5.

Bring your campaign to life!
The Rise of the Runelords Mega SoundPack from Syrinscape is a complete audio solution for playing through the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path.

Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The rules and Chronicle sheets for running this Adventure Path are available as a free download (438 KB zip/PDF).

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Hardcover:

Unavailable

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1002


See Also:

1 to 5 of 24 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.50/5 (based on 24 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Also on Fantasy Grounds!

5/5

I don't understand why this is not mentioned here but by paying 60$ you get both the pdf version of the adventure as well as the Fantasy Grounds VTT plug in that saves you TONS of prepping. This adventure is excellent, with a lot of scary and funny moments and is a must-buy for all Pathfinder fans out there!


They all need this treatment

5/5

I have the original softcovers. I collected them up to the 50's and when I changed jobs money was tighter and I couldn't keep up. Recently going back to pick up some of the ones I missed I was shocked to see prices as high as 234.00 for a single softcover. There are a lot of Pathfinder fans who didnt get the softcovers when they were first released and these hardcovers are excellent as well as being affordable.

The book itself is solid. Takes up less space on my shelf, is a great first series of adventures, looks beautiful, is fun to play and is just overall well worth the money i spent on it. I will also be picking up Crimson Throne hardcover and hope they continue on and it was the adventure paths that drew me to PF in the first place.


Excellent Supplementary Material

5/5

This was the first full Adventure Path I bought. I was looking for inspiration for material set in Sandpoint after running the introductory adventure from the Beginner Box. I have been adapting the plot and setting elements from Rise of the Runelords for the past three years to flesh out my own adventures and campaign arc. I substituted my own version of Thelsikar for Karzoug as the main villain.


Incredible Value & a great Campaign!!!

5/5

THE GOOD:
-6 different adventures revised and updated with great care.
- Sandpoint, a very detailed hometown with 50 detailed locations and two dozen NPCs.
- Great art and maps
- a good bestiary of 8 monsters
- new thassilonian spells and a new wizard school specialization

THE BAD:
- some stat blocks are not correctly calculated

THE UGLY:
- nothing

The value of $120 for only $60 - an entire campaign you can play for a year or longer or dissect into single short adventures from level 1 to 17 - buy it!


The Value

5/5

Short Version: Good adventure path, even better value per dollar.

This is not the AP if you're looking for something new and different. It is the AP if you're on a budget, looking for a classic feel, or just aren't quite sure where to start.

Like all APs, it's best when tuned to your group, but Rise is close enough to the basic assumptions that you should be close to the mark.


1 to 5 of 24 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
901 to 950 of 1,538 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yay for fruitlessly negative comments! Ah, internet...please change.

Grand Lodge

We should be seeing a preview soon, right? :)

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sooooon!

Liberty's Edge

Like................now? Or tomorrow at the latest? :-D


Liz Courts wrote:
Sooooon!

Awesome.


Is there an ETA on the Player's Guide or is that just going to release on the same day as the AP itself?

Sovereign Court

TriOmegaZero wrote:
He was in response to a request for Paizo doing a kickstarter, but he phrased it as 'established companies' which widened the context to all companies.

So... still apples and oranges then.

Referencing a publisher with 8 small pdf-only products that was clearly a one-man-band and folded after a year is not my definition of 'established companies'.

established company =/= sinister adventures

non?

Web Product Manager

ShadowFighter88 wrote:
Is there an ETA on the Player's Guide or is that just going to release on the same day as the AP itself?

It will show up... Soon!

Shadow Lodge

GeraintElberion wrote:
non?

Non.

Liberty's Edge

I thought this was supposed to be released 7/3. When is this being released?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
IamJLovegren wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be released 7/3. When is this being released?

Preorder Hardcover: $59.99

PDF available Jul 18: $41.99

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Those of us who pre-ordered it and have an active subscription to the AP will likely get access to the PDF around the 9th or 10th next week, depending on when things ship.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Quote:
Those of us who pre-ordered it and have an active subscription to the AP will likely get access to the PDF around the 9th or 10th next week, depending on when things ship.

Says who?

Not that I would mind, mind you. With this release on the horizon, I'm happier than ever to have weathered the bloody Shackles and get "early" access to a pdf-version of my soon-to-be shinyshiny.

Ruyan.

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

RuyanVe wrote:
Quote:
Those of us who pre-ordered it and have an active subscription to the AP will likely get access to the PDF around the 9th or 10th next week, depending on when things ship.

Says who?

Not that I would mind, mind you. With this release on the horizon, I'm happier than ever to have weathered the bloody Shackles and get "early" access to a pdf-version of my soon-to-be shinyshiny.

Ruyan.

Here you go:

Product Description wrote:
The Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition is not part of any subscription, but Pathfinder Adventure Path subscribers who preorder this book will receive a free PDF edition of this book when the print edition ships. (Note that you will need to have an active AP subscription at the time the Anniversary Edition ships in order to receive the PDF for free.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well. I know that statement. My problem is, I can't/couldn't put a date to

Quote:
[...]when the print edition ships.

.

But thanks anyway. Now, where's them stupid glasses again...
*humming softly which ends up in a happy-happy-joy-joy-dance* - no, wait: make that an *evilGMlaugh*

Ruyan.

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Oh, I understand now. This should begin shipping next week, starting on Monday if I understand correctly. When your particular package ships is all dependent on whatever mystic metric the warehouse crew uses to determine order.


Adam Daigle wrote:
Oh, I understand now. This should begin shipping next week, starting on Monday if I understand correctly. When your particular package ships is all dependent on whatever mystic metric the warehouse crew uses to determine order.

Mine has actually already been processed (just last hour), and I am now able to donwload both of the new Skull and Shackles and the PC Folio but not the Runelords Anniversary Edition, so maybe it's being sent separately from the regular subscription items since it isn't technically part of any subscription.

It doesn't matter too much for me since I can just pick it up in two days at Paizocon anyway, but for others who are curious, you may get your other subscription pdfs before the RotRLAE.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Does this mean subscriber subscriptions are already shipping or is it just for people going to Paizocon?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I also got my email and downloaded all of the subscription items. But my Runelords Anniversary Edition was not available for download yet, although I was charged for it. I am excited for this.

Web Product Manager

Kevin Mack wrote:
Does this mean subscriber subscriptions are already shipping or is it just for people going to Paizocon?

We are currently "authing" subscription orders (including those picking up at PaizoCon). Shipping from our warehouse will not start until next week. It's a bit confusing on the outside, but basically we're getting ducks in a row for people who pick up their orders in person :)

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
Does this mean subscriber subscriptions are already shipping or is it just for people going to Paizocon?
We are currently "authing" subscription orders (including those picking up at PaizoCon). Shipping from our warehouse will not start until next week. It's a bit confusing on the outside, but basically we're getting ducks in a row for people who pick up their orders in person :)

Cool just wondering if there is any chance of anyone not attending Paizocon getting there PDF'S before next week.

Liberty's Edge

My account was authorized today too, but I'm not expecting to see PDFs until next week, though with the authorization being earlier, they might be available next Monday...woot woot!

Hmmm...maybe I'll have it in my possession by next Friday assuming the world doesn't end or some other catastrophic calamity.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I wonder why I can download all my other things I am picking up at Paizo, but not this.

Liberty's Edge

I can't download anything. Are you picking your stuff up at PaizoCon?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I got everything but Runelords and yes I am picking mine up at Paizocon.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It may well be like the core book - the PDF was held until the actual release date. I'd be surprised if his is held until the 18th, but it might be being held until during Paizocon.

Liberty's Edge

Are people that pre ordered starting to get the "will expect to ship in next week" emails?

Dark Archive

CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Are people that pre ordered starting to get the "will expect to ship in next week" emails?

It looks like it is just the people that will be picking things up at Paizocon is so far. Which makes sense, the rest of us I imagine will get the emails tomorrow and then the email saying it shipped next week.

Liberty's Edge

Anguish wrote:
IamJLovegren wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be released 7/3. When is this being released?

Preorder Hardcover: $59.99

PDF available Jul 18: $41.99

...i was asking about the print book....

Web Product Manager

IamJLovegren wrote:
...i was asking about the print book....

The PDF sale date is an indicator of what the street date for a given product is. So, the print edition will also release on July 18.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Chris, any idea when the PDF for Runelords will be put in our downloads if we have received the PDF for everything else for this month?


Is the free PDF offer for new hardcover pre-orders from AP subscribers still in effect or has it expired? The hardcover is currently listed as likely to ship within 2 to 6 business days when I looked into ordering it.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Shem wrote:
Chris, any idea when the PDF for Runelords will be put in our downloads if we have received the PDF for everything else for this month?

You should have it now. (As should the other people who were asking about it.)


Ross Byers wrote:
Shem wrote:
Chris, any idea when the PDF for Runelords will be put in our downloads if we have received the PDF for everything else for this month?
You should have it now. (As should the other people who were asking about it.)

Ah, it's a glitch then. I figured I'd give you guys the benefit of the doubt that it was all part of the plan.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm more than happy to wait until tomorrow and get the book itself at Paizocon--I know you guys must be stressing and working extra to make Paizocon great for all of us, so please don't worry about my missing pdf until at least after the weekend festivities.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Waiting...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
silverhair2008 wrote:
Yes but the only time I took a PFS battlemap to Kinko's they wanted over $100 per sheet to print the map from a PDF.

Why? Was it because of copyright?

I work in a print shop and there is no reason we would charge you $100/sheet if you wanted a battle/flip mat printed. We wouldn't charge you that much even if we printed it on a large format printer. As long as we are talking about a regular 24x30 map, that is.


Rogue Eidolon wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:
Shem wrote:
Chris, any idea when the PDF for Runelords will be put in our downloads if we have received the PDF for everything else for this month?
You should have it now. (As should the other people who were asking about it.)

Ah, it's a glitch then. I figured I'd give you guys the benefit of the doubt that it was all part of the plan.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm more than happy to wait until tomorrow and get the book itself at Paizocon--I know you guys must be stressing and working extra to make Paizocon great for all of us, so please don't worry about my missing pdf until at least after the weekend festivities.

Looks like you guys got it up anyway. Rock on!

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

I see the PDFs for all my regular subscription products, but not for this.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

JohnF wrote:


I see the PDFs for all my regular subscription products, but not for this.

How about now?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Got it. Thank you....

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
JohnF wrote:


I see the PDFs for all my regular subscription products, but not for this.
How about now?

That looks a great deal better - thanks. Downloading as I type this.

BTW - as you can see, my subscription order is marked "To be picked up at Paizocon". Unfortunately my trip to Seattle fell through, so I won't be able to pick it up in person. While I'm not bothered about the extra few days until you can ship things next week, this does mean I won't be able to take the book along and get it signed by the authors :-(

My VC is at PaizoCon, and has stated his willingness to help out with this and get a book signed for me. Would he be able to pick up my subscription order, or will I have to purchase a second copy?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

JohnF wrote:
Would he be able to pick up my subscription order, or will I have to purchase a second copy?

Sorry—to prevent fraud, we only let subscribers pick up their own orders, and only after showing valid ID.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Ross Byers wrote:
Ezekiel W wrote:
Is the free PDF offer for new hardcover pre-orders from AP subscribers still in effect or has it expired? The hardcover is currently listed as likely to ship within 2 to 6 business days when I looked into ordering it.
The offer is not restricted to pre-orders. If you purchase this book, and you have an active Adventure Path subscription at the time we charge and ship you the book, you will receive the PDF at no additional charge.

Ross is mistaken: the free PDF *is* restricted to preorders, as it says in the product description; new orders are considered preorders up until the July 18 release date.

Liberty's Edge

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah! Received my email and my store account has been charged. Hurry up weekend, I want Monday to get here so I can download me some PDFs!


still no email here :(

Dark Archive

HangarFlying wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah! Received my email and my store account has been charged. Hurry up weekend, I want Monday to get here so I can download me some PDFs!

Same here.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
HangarFlying wrote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah! Received my email and my store account has been charged. Hurry up weekend, I want Monday to get here so I can download me some PDFs!
Same here.

I love quoting Dark_Mistress.

And so so eager

Sczarni

Vic Wertz wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:
Ezekiel W wrote:
Is the free PDF offer for new hardcover pre-orders from AP subscribers still in effect or has it expired? The hardcover is currently listed as likely to ship within 2 to 6 business days when I looked into ordering it.
The offer is not restricted to pre-orders. If you purchase this book, and you have an active Adventure Path subscription at the time we charge and ship you the book, you will receive the PDF at no additional charge.
Ross is mistaken: the free PDF *is* restricted to preorders, as it says in the product description; new orders are considered preorders up until the July 18 release date.

Really? Well, I have to wait until I get paid on the 25th. And I need the PDF.

-1 sale.


Trinite wrote:

Really? Well, I have to wait until I get paid on the 25th. And I need the PDF.

-1 sale.

Hmm . . . Apparently you don't need it that badly after all. ;)

These kinds of promotions are quite common from what I've seen. Sorry it didn't work out for you!

901 to 950 of 1,538 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.