Slumbering Tsar Saga (PFRPG) PDF

5.00/5 (based on 8 ratings)

Our Price: $89.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

The Sleeper Awakes!
At last, after languishing in its crypt for an age, the secrets of the slumbering city of Tsar burst forth in all their macabre glory. Poured forth from the eldritch furnaces and crucibles of the Necromancer and Orcus himself comes Frog God Games bringing you at long last The Slumbering Tsar Saga.

Something Stirs in the City of Evil
Over the distant northern hills, beyond The Camp, and past the Desolation stand the pitted walls of Tsar. A hundred armies have crushed themselves against this bulwark in futile attempts to breach the city. Even the combined might of the Heavens and Earth were unable to break through in the final battle of Tsar. So why was the city suddenly abandoned on the verge of victory, and what waits for those foolish enough to enter the Temple-City of Orcus?

The Black Gates Await
Only the bravest and most powerful of heroes dare the depths of the Desolation and live to tell of it. But what happens when they penetrate that blasted landscape and look upon the gates of the very center of evil on the earth. Can even heroes of such renown breach the Walls of Death and live?

The Slumbering Tsar Saga began its journey years ago as a single mega-adventure for the masters of Third Edition rules and First Edition feel, then became a trilogy of adventures, then a trilogy of mega-adventures, and now finally comes to you as a monthly series culminating in a massive book with over a half million words of pure First Edition-style adventure. Updated to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game to accommodate today’s audience of the classic fantasy roleplaying games, The Slumbering Tsar Saga brings you 14 chapters, each chapter the size of a full adventure in its own right (30-50 pages), but in the Hardcover compilation (and NOT in the PDF) you will get something you can't get anywhere else—the final fifteenth chapter!

Product Availability

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

FGGSTSE


See Also:

1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 8 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A massive book that's worth every dollar

5/5

Disclaimer: I purchased a physical copy of this book and got the PDF with it.

Okay, before we go anywhere, we need to make one thing clear - The Slumbering Tsar Saga is not an Adventure Path. There is a plot here, but it's more of a setting than anything else, a reason for why things are the way they are. This book is better described as an adventure setting - if Rappan Athuk is the ultimate dungeon crawl, then Slumbering Tsar is the ultimate ruined city crawl. (For a city adventure taking place somewhere that's still fully active, you'll want to look at The Blight, forthcoming from Frog God Games.)

The series starts off in The Desolation, the ugly wasteland that was once a battlefield as the forces of light assaulted Tsar. Most notably, players are quickly introduced to The Camp, which is the safest place for them to rest on excursions throughout the area. (Note that "safest" does not actually mean "safe"... just not quite as dangerous as everywhere else). Before the players can even get into the city, though, there's danger and death to be had. In the Lost Lands Campaign Setting, Tsar was not the site of a skirmish or a battle - it was a war, with the unholy city besieged by a force of over 140,000 (including outsiders, representatives from many species, and a significant number of the world's heroes). Great powers were used by both sides... and the ruins left behind are what the players have to make their way through. One way or another, everywhere they go they'll see the remnants of battle - from storms of deadly bone dust to an enormous chaos rift, players could spend quite a few sessions just trudging around and learning what happened.

Sooner or later, though, they'll want to start making forays into Tsar itself - and while the city may be ruined, it's far from deserted. There are multiple dungeon-sized regions players can stumble through just by walking around (and indeed, they'll have to if they actually want to get into the Temple of Orcus, which is massive even by Frog God Games' standards (comprising over 400 locations). There are waaaaaay too many things here to even begin covering all of them in detail - suffice it to say that if your players enjoy seeing what's in the next building and exploring the world they're in, this book will not disappoint. (If you prefer a more structured adventure, you can trim out some of the locations and insert a plot of your choosing. The book provides a very good mechanism for delivering information.)

Following the three main sandbox adventures is a bunch of extra material, ranging from new monsters (the Battlehulk, in particular, is fun to throw at players) to unique magic items and even a pair of prestige classes. Players may or may not take levels in either of these - one is for the devoted of Orcus (who is quite possibly *the* villain of the Lost Lands setting), while the other is sort of a Paladin on steroids. Lots of extra power (crit-focused builds, in particular, will WRECK evil monsters), but extra restrictions as well (like needing Atonement for things that weren't even your fault). It should be noted that the Justicar of Muir can easily be reflavored to fit the champion of any other appropriate deity, should the GM be willing to permit that. If normal Paladins are the elite crusaders of a church, the Justicars are a lot like divine champions, likely to be known the whole world over. (...As you may have guessed, I rather like this prestige class. XD) There are also a few hierarchy charts, some new spells, and over a hundred pages of maps. The PDF version of this book is very valuable here, since you can simply print out whatever you need to use.

Slumbering Tsar is massive (clocking in at over 900 pages of content, most of which is solid adventure), and depending on the speed of your group, it could easily take them months or even years to finish going through this. That makes it a good choice for stable groups, and... a bit harder for anyone else. As with most of Frog God Games' products, though, it's fairly easy to drop individual sections into your own campaign world. For example, you could pull individual parts of The Desolation and drop them in somewhere, which breaks the series into manageable chunks that are good for shorter adventures and smaller time commitments.

Again, though, Slumbering Tsar is not inherently an adventure path - if you want a true story, you'll have to step up as GM and come up with something that fits for your group. This book essentially demands an active GM'ing style if you want to get the most from it. Obviously, I can't recommend this to everyone - many groups would find this difficult to play (if only because of how big it is), but if it's something that works for your table, then you're going to get a massive amount of content for your investment. Yes, this is one of the most expensive RPG books you're ever likely to see, but on a per-page value, its cost is actually pretty low. There are just so many pages. It might literally take you weeks of reading just to go through it the first time and start preparing to run the game. XD

For those tables that can use this book, I think it's a solid 5/5. It really does require commitment, though - if you're not truly serious about exploring this region, you may be better off looking for a shorter book instead. (Off-hand, I suggest The Northlands Saga Complete - that actually is an Adventure Path.)


Worth every penny

5/5

This is an entire adventure path in a single, massive tome. Is it expensive? Yes, but it is worth every penny.

Let's take a look at the physical product:

-The binding is tough and durable.
-The pages are thick, quality paper.

I've carried this puppy around a lot and it is none the worse for it.

What's inside?

-the maps are clear and easy to read
-the illustrations are plentiful and serviceable
-layout is clear and easy on the eyes
-statblocks are mostly in-line for ease of play

But what about the adventure?

-Tons of memorable characters
-A story that feels like a real life legend
-side stories that feel like real life legends
-A location redolent with history and sorrow
-really mean traps
-amazing locales
-the most detailed ruins I've ever seen in a supplement

This product deserves every five star review it's gotten.


What everybody says about Tsar being amazing...

5/5

It's all true. The Slumbering Tsar is absolutely amazing. I'm not going to bother writing a huge review of it - there's plenty of those out there already.

Consider this a giant +1 for all the reviews already out there saying that the Slumbering Tsar Saga is fantastic. It is epic, twisted, wonderful and genius.


Slumbering Tsar lives up to hype

5/5

I've waited more than a month after getting the PDF of Slumbering Tsar, the epic Greg Vaughan mega-campaign, to offer any kind of review.
I knew when it came that the adventure read well. There were tons of fun, twisty (and twisted) plot elements. Nice bit of foreshadowing.

And I had the sense that the sandbox elements -- which allow players to really broadly dictate the direction of play -- were solid.
But I wanted to see how it flowed at the table and how my players reacted to the story-line and the texture.

First, a few bits of background. In SS, the adventurers begin by arriving at a dreary Camp on the edge of a massive, war-scarred desolation. Over time, they explore, learn more about their horrible surroundings, and hopefully progress toward exploring a ruined, haunted city.

I should say that I love making slight mods to any adventure I buy and this campaign setting allows that to happen smoothly. You can run it entirely as-is, or you can slide in 10% of your own material and ad nuances of your own.

My group has spent four game-sessions in the campaign so far, two entirely in the camp and another two venturing out into the desolation proper. At our last session, I asked the group for a blunt, no holds barred review and it was the most positive response I've ever had to a campaign.

Basically, they loved that the desolation seems so bloody horrible and dangerous -- lots of battle. But they also loved the fact that there were bits of story and role-playing. Vaughan manages to create something like the feel of a 1st edition dungeon (or wasteland) crawl, but with constant nudges of actual narrative and motivation.

There are also just gobs of cool wow moments here. (SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT) It's not just an undead: it's a hung man who haunts the camp at night. It's not just a tavern brawl: it's a conspiracy of homicidal little gnomes. Bottom line? Vaghan is a great writer, a great storyteller, and he knows that at the gaming table RPGs are about big cool moments. He delivers all those.

I do have one idea that I think GMs should consider before running this adventure. (And you should buy it and run it...) Here it is: SS offers a remarkable measuring stick for power creep in Pathfinder. An adventure that was ridiculously deadly when written is now only moderately dangerous - and sometimes encounters that would have been deadly fierce in August 2009 are fairly easy in September 2014.

I'd suggest looking closely at these encounters, especially ones that should be real tentpole moments and tests. If your party is going to sweep through them, consider adding a minion or two, or giving the NPC some kind of strategic advantage. This isn't always called for. Some moments in SS are supposed to be relatively easy -- a chance to sort of plow through the bad guys. But if you're not careful, a few of the BBEG's in this adventure will topple far too easily.

It's worth noting that some parts of SS are still extremely deadly as written. In four gaming sessions, we've had two PCs die, and two more brought to the absolute brink where one bad roll would have killed them. Granted I've done a bit of tweaking, but that's a much higher risk rate than any campaign I've ever run. And I should end by saying my players are loving it. I told them in advance to create back-up characters, so they knew going in that the tone would be bloody and high body count. So long as you get that kind of buy-in from your table, I think your group will love the Tsar.

--Marsh


And I don't care.

5/5

I held off getting this for months because I figured I’d never run it. Then I remembered that I’ve enjoyed lots of RPG items over the years I’ve never run, just read. So I did my homework on other’s reviews. They all said the same thing: what a total joy to read.

So, I plunked down the full price to the Frog Gods for the hardcover book and the PDF. Then 2 weeks later Paizo had it on sale for $50 off for their GM’s day promotion. And I don’t care.

It’s so huge I don’t know if I could ever actually run it. And I don’t care.

I’m going to lose a whole year reading this thing, and I don’t care.

I’m only on page 52 and having a fantastic time. The reading is easy, flavorful and fun. Like a novel, you really can’t wait to read the next location or situation. Its steal-ability factor is sky high, either just for situations, NPCs, encounters or monsters and flavor. It is also a cohesive set of mini stories all tied to one terrible location. The maps may not be gorgeous but they are clear and easy to follow – so I don’t care.

What I do care about is value for money and this is a prime example of it. If you were/are a huge fan of Necromancer Games’ 3rd edition material like I was, it will remain a treasure on your shelf. My hat is off to Greg Vaughan for sticking with it all this time and Bill Webb for making it happen.


1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

"Sword of Air". Comes. I. Can't. Believe. it. I think I just had a multiple evilgasm. Thanks for making my day, Bill! Wait. That didn't come out right. ;P

Frog God Games

Endzeitgeist wrote:
"Sword of Air". Comes. I. Can't. Believe. it. I think I just had a multiple evilgasm. Thanks for making my day, Bill! Wait. That didn't come out right. ;P

I still credit you with encouraging Greg and Bill to go with the subscription model to make all of this happen, End.

So.. you're indirectly responsible for your own evil-gasm.

Disturbing.

Dark Archive

Chuck Wright wrote:

It's a short bonus chapter and not a gimmick to mess with people.

I'm sorry that you feel cheated in some way, but we have been very forthright about the bonus chapter for at least year now if I'm not mistaken.

Again the "Bonus Chapter" is not "the final module". If you have purchased ST1 through ST14 then you have not missed out on any of the story.

Then can I second the suggestion that someone at paizo change that last sentence in the product description? Because it makes it sound very much like your missing a chapter, that its the final part of the story rather then a bonus chapter that leads to something else.

I know its not the final module, but the product appears to be saying that its exactly that.

Scarab Sages

Bill Webb wrote:

Chapter 15 is the lead in/transition to the next big series..involving a sharp object and stuff you breathe..written originally by me, and being rewritten by Greg.

This thing has been 13 years in coming, and I have been teased by some that it is the "Temple of Elemental "Sword of Air", or that "Sword of Air is Vapor"...well..here it comes:)

SWORD OF AIR!!! Oh my gosh, I have been waiting for this since NG first announced it circa 2000 or so. Thanks Bill and Greg, I think I just gleeked myself.

Sovereign Court

Excuse my ignorance but what is this Sword of Air thingumajig?


I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

Frog God Games

Malacki wrote:

I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

If what you're asking is "Is this a hack and slash adventure?" then the answer would be "No. But there is still tons of combat."

GeraintElberion wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is this Sword of Air thingumajig?

"Sword of Air" is a long-awaited companion piece to Bill's homebrew campaign setting that became the basis for the Necromancer Game's default world which includes the cities of Tsar, Tsen and Tircople as well as the Tomb of Abysthor and Rappan Athuk. (I'm sure that there's more, but I don't know all of the particulars.)

Also, the Sword of Air is an artifact-level weapon and the adventure will revolve around attempting to find it.

Oh yes, and as it's being written by Greg A. Vaughan and is Bill Webb's original idea "Sword of Air" is also wicked-awesome. <grin>

Frog God Games

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Man, can I write run-on sentences or can I write run-on sentences?

Liberty's Edge

I just preordered the print bundle and it said my pathfinder advantage was applied but it wasnt reflected in the price. Not upset, just a little curious.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chuck Wright wrote:
Malacki wrote:

I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

If what you're asking is "Is this a hack and slash adventure?" then the answer would be "No. But there is still tons of combat."

Perhaps a better way to ask what I am attempting to ask is will classes with a greater skill focus get use out of those skills? I'm thinking about classes like Rogues, Bards, or Inquisitors who might focus in on skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Survival or things of that nature. Even as basic as making a series of swim or climb checks to accomplish certain goals throughout the adventure.

And thank you for the quick response. It is always nice to see a company that is so attentive to consumer questions.

Dark Archive

Coridan wrote:
I just preordered the print bundle and it said my pathfinder advantage was applied but it wasnt reflected in the price. Not upset, just a little curious.

I would suspect the reason is that do not get the Pathfinder advantage on items that are on sale for more than the discounted Advantage price. And the preorder is probably marked as a sale price 125$ from 150$

Frog God Games

Malacki wrote:
Chuck Wright wrote:
Malacki wrote:

I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

If what you're asking is "Is this a hack and slash adventure?" then the answer would be "No. But there is still tons of combat."

Perhaps a better way to ask what I am attempting to ask is will classes with a greater skill focus get use out of those skills? I'm thinking about classes like Rogues, Bards, or Inquisitors who might focus in on skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Survival or things of that nature. Even as basic as making a series of swim or climb checks to accomplish certain goals throughout the adventure.

And thank you for the quick response. It is always nice to see a company that is so attentive to consumer questions.

I've passed your question on to those who are better capable of giving you a more informed answer. :D I've been too busy chained to the layout desk to run anything yet. <grin>


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Shut up and get back to work on my muppets Chuck!

Frog God Games

Malacki wrote:
Chuck Wright wrote:
Malacki wrote:

I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

If what you're asking is "Is this a hack and slash adventure?" then the answer would be "No. But there is still tons of combat."

Perhaps a better way to ask what I am attempting to ask is will classes with a greater skill focus get use out of those skills? I'm thinking about classes like Rogues, Bards, or Inquisitors who might focus in on skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Survival or things of that nature. Even as basic as making a series of swim or climb checks to accomplish certain goals throughout the adventure.

And thank you for the quick response. It is always nice to see a company that is so attentive to consumer questions.

Hi Malaki, I'm glad you're interested. ST follows the normal PF RPG style of adventures in that it doesn't have any formal "skill challenges" (like you would find in a 4e adventure for example). However, there are hundreds of instances when all sorts of skills come in handy whether to climb an obstacle (the Chaos Rift and city terraces for example), navigate the Desolation and its toxic environs with Survival, use stealth to sneak or perception to prevent others from doing it to you, use multiple knowledge skills to find out the history and or weaknesses of foes encountered or their relative importance in the overall plot, and on and on and on. Pretty much any skill in the game can come into play dozens of times in the saga depending on how players wish to proceed. It's very much written in the 1st Edition style in that there is rarely only a single way to accomplish any given objective.

As for roleplaying, there are literally hundreds of NPCs. Anywhere from outright enemies, to neutral parties seeking their own advantage, or potential allies. Any one of them could be approached in a roleplay fashion rather than an automatic combat if the players so wished, and existence amounts of information are provided that they can give to PCs if on friendly terms. Beyond that I'm not sure how to answer your question in regards to the ST Saga or any other adventure I've written for that matter. It is not 1,000 orc-and-pie encounters, though, if that's what you're concerned with.

Hope that helps. :-)


Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Malacki wrote:
Chuck Wright wrote:
Malacki wrote:

I have skimmed some of the reviews of this but I can't seem to find any specific information on the role playing and skill side of the game.

Can anyone tell me the level of role playing and whether there are any skill challenges or how much skills are involved?

Thanks.

If what you're asking is "Is this a hack and slash adventure?" then the answer would be "No. But there is still tons of combat."

Perhaps a better way to ask what I am attempting to ask is will classes with a greater skill focus get use out of those skills? I'm thinking about classes like Rogues, Bards, or Inquisitors who might focus in on skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Sleight of Hand, Survival or things of that nature. Even as basic as making a series of swim or climb checks to accomplish certain goals throughout the adventure.

And thank you for the quick response. It is always nice to see a company that is so attentive to consumer questions.

Hi Malaki, I'm glad you're interested. ST follows the normal PF RPG style of adventures in that it doesn't have any formal "skill challenges" (like you would find in a 4e adventure for example). However, there are hundreds of instances when all sorts of skills come in handy whether to climb an obstacle (the Chaos Rift and city terraces for example), navigate the Desolation and its toxic environs with Survival, use stealth to sneak or perception to prevent others from doing it to you, use multiple knowledge skills to find out the history and or weaknesses of foes encountered or their relative importance in the overall plot, and on and on and on. Pretty much any skill in the game can come into play dozens of times in the saga depending on how players wish to proceed. It's very much written in the 1st Edition style in that there is rarely only a single way to accomplish any given objective.

As for roleplaying, there are literally hundreds of NPCs. Anywhere from outright enemies, to...

Greg,

That answered my question perfectly. I wasn't looking for the 4e style but more of the PF style of opportunities to use skills. I wanted to ensure those options were there for the skill oriented PCs. All the reviews I have read have been great and I had presumed based on what I read about the depth behind the NPCs that it had a good bit of role playing opportunity.

I'm pretty excited about this and plan to discuss it with the people I play with and advocate for bringing it to our game table.

Again, thank you for the quick response and I'm looking forward to this.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Criminey. I get laid off and this pre-order starts. Yet another mega release from FGG I'm gonna miss out on. At least this one I didn't create the name for on the NG boards a decade or so ago...

Scarab Sages

Kvantum wrote:
At least this one I didn't create the name for on the NG boards a decade or so ago...

Tome of Horrors?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Lem_Furryfeet wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
At least this one I didn't create the name for on the NG boards a decade or so ago...
Tome of Horrors?

Bingo.

Frog God Games

Sorry to hear about the layoff, Kvantum.

I did want to say, however, that the pre-order through Frog God has been available for almost 2 years now. ;)


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Malacki wrote:

Greg,

That answered my question perfectly. I wasn't looking for the 4e style but more of the PF style of opportunities to use skills. I wanted to ensure those options were there for the skill oriented PCs. All the reviews I have read have been great and I had presumed based on what I read about the depth behind the NPCs that it had a good bit of role playing opportunity.

I'm pretty excited about this and plan to discuss it with the people I play with and advocate for bringing it to our game table.

Again, thank you for the quick response and I'm looking forward to this.

Just to give you an in play perspective. I have run 2 sessions so far of slumbering tsar. And skill use and roleplay time have exceeded combat time fairly signficantly. In the initial adventure, while exploring the desolation around tsar, you have to deal with 'The Camp' and its inhabitants alot, either for information or for supplies/resources. My players spent a good deal more time talking to npcs, and using skills in those first 2 sessions then they did killing things and taking their stuff.

This is however a very player driven adventure. If the players dont persue those avenues, the adventure doesn't force them to. So if you have players that WANT to get alot out of roleplay and skill use, you will. If they primarily want to kill things and take their stuff, that is what is going to happen.

Frog God Games

Role vs. Roll play is almost always up the the group in FGG (and Necro) adventures. Frankly, I use skill checks and environment more than monsters even in my most monster rich environments.

Rappan Athuk, for example, has numerous physical challenges (climbs and swins are as important as combat ability), lots of roleplaying potential (Greznek, Max the Otyugh, and many others). Frankly the best handling of Scramge has been by negotiation and role play, far more than a (probably fatal) combat. Old Scramge is still 13-0 in my home campaign (all TPKs). The only two successful groups have been those that negotiated a truce with him.

I personally like a mix of play; lots of combat, lots of brain use.


Rycaut wrote:

So to be clear this is an adventure that starts at level 7 and goes up to level 20?

I guess I'd have to either start the campaign at level 7 or plan some other modules (either prewritten or created by me) to get the players from 1st to 7th and set up the start of this epic?

Necromancer's Third Edition Tomb of Abysthor is a perfect lead in to Slumbering Tsar. Think of Tsar as a thematic sequel.


Oh yeah. And ToA is DEADLY. When I bought the dead-tree at my FLGS some years ago, I gibbered with glee at the CR 20+ boss of the module (not meant to be killed) and have been hooked on Necro and then FGG ever since. ^^

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

To Bill & Greg,

Great job on this one. I just downloaded the final chapter over the weekend, and I am looking forward to the hardcover, which cannot come soon enough!

Frog God Games

HolmesandWatson wrote:
Rycaut wrote:

So to be clear this is an adventure that starts at level 7 and goes up to level 20?

I guess I'd have to either start the campaign at level 7 or plan some other modules (either prewritten or created by me) to get the players from 1st to 7th and set up the start of this epic?

Necromancer's Third Edition Tomb of Abysthor is a perfect lead in to Slumbering Tsar. Think of Tsar as a thematic sequel.

Sherlock (aka Holmes and Watson) speaks the truth. This is exactly what I did for my home group, though we switched over after level 3 or 4 by suddenly introducing the Tsar hooks (the players took the bait). I didn't want them to get too high level after all.


Greg Vaughan wrote:
ewww...

Since when did you shy away from showing off your distinguished Body of work?

Frog God Games

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I missed this one - Initial layout has been finished and most of the final editing has been done. Hopefully we'll be off-and-running to the printer by early next week. :)

On a slight tangent I, out of curiosity, mined the intertubuals for old threads about The Slumbering Tsar Saga from back when we announced and chuckled quietly to myself about the pronouncements that it was never going to happen and people not wanting to buy it because of the name (it was unclear whether they were speaking of the adventure itself or our company's name... probably both).

Well, at the risk of sounding unprofessional...

neener-neener :p

(And yes, I know that some have fessed up to being nay-sayers and admitted they were incorrect... I am not neenering at you.)

Thanks to everyone who believed in Greg and Bill enough to trust them and invest in making this one book happen, because of you, we've also managed to launch 68 other books to date in the past 2 years!

And thanks to Bill for remembering that there was this Chuck/Pale Writer guy who maybe-might-could do the layout thing for us.

And thanks to Greg for PMing me at the Necromancer Games boards.

It's like a giant weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. And there's a lot more stuff incoming... I can hack it. :D

Frog God Games

Btw, Chuck is awesome. :-)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Are there going to be individual print versions of chapters 10-14?


Steve Geddes wrote:

Are there going to be individual print versions of chapters 10-14?

Yep. In fact there already are print versions of at least chapters 10 - 13 (book 3 The Hidden Citadel 2-5), I think, with chapter 14 (The Hidden Citadel 6) on its way. They are printed in limited quantities though. It is my understanding that some of the earlier chapters might already be sold out. You can order them from talesofthefroggod dot com and also through Paizo on the webstore. The later chapters should be appearing on Paizo's webstore as well.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Cheers. I've got everything up to 9 (the later chapters are only available as PDFs here at this stage, I think).

I would be disappointed if the last few never saw the light of day individually.

Frog God Games

They will see the light of day.

I believe that, going into the future, it will remain the main way to get the adventure.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
HolmesandWatson wrote:
Rycaut wrote:

So to be clear this is an adventure that starts at level 7 and goes up to level 20?

I guess I'd have to either start the campaign at level 7 or plan some other modules (either prewritten or created by me) to get the players from 1st to 7th and set up the start of this epic?

Necromancer's Third Edition Tomb of Abysthor is a perfect lead in to Slumbering Tsar. Think of Tsar as a thematic sequel.
Sherlock (aka Holmes and Watson) speaks the truth. This is exactly what I did for my home group, though we switched over after level 3 or 4 by suddenly introducing the Tsar hooks (the players took the bait). I didn't want them to get too high level after all.

Man you brought your players into tsar at level 3 or 4? Did they each bring a dozen character sheets to the session for replacements?


I preordered through FGG a year back or so and it's great to see the final culmination of the series, the HC, almost here. Very excited.

And HOLY CRAP - SWORD OF AIR is possibly coming? Wooo!


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Kolokotroni wrote:
Man you brought your players into tsar at level 3 or 4? Did they each bring a dozen character sheets to the session for replacements?

He was referring to level 3 or 4 of ToA. =)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Btw, Chuck is awesome. :-)

Oh god don't get him started.

Frog God Games

Elorebaen wrote:
Kolokotroni wrote:
Man you brought your players into tsar at level 3 or 4? Did they each bring a dozen character sheets to the session for replacements?

He was referring to level 3 or 4 of ToA. =)

This is correct. The PCs were all 7th level...and they still needed a half dozen character sheets each.

Frog God Games

jreyst wrote:
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Btw, Chuck is awesome. :-)
Oh god don't get him started.

i shall PM you about my greatness, John.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

All joking aside, between Slumbering Tsar, the forthcoming Pathfinder version of Rappan Athuk, and now Sword of Air, I'm curious about what further old Necromancer Games products are going to get Pathfinder versions?

I ask because there are plenty of old NG products I never got back in the day, but if there are Pathfinder versions coming out I'd prefer not to buy the 3.X materials only to find that an updated version is coming out later.

I know you that nothing can probably be confirmed at this stage, but I'm still fairly curious if I should stop looking around for older products like Tomb of Abysthor, Bard's Gate, and others.

(I should note that I'd love Pathfinder conversions of The Wizard's Amulet/The Crucible of Freya, even though I own the original versions. Those adventures rocked on toast!)

Frog God Games

I honestly don't know how many we plan on doing.

A note on Sword of Air, though. Although it was a planned product for 3rd edition, this is the first time it will be developed fully as a product, so it's not really a Necromancer Games update.

Frog God Games

Alzrius wrote:

All joking aside, between Slumbering Tsar, the forthcoming Pathfinder version of Rappan Athuk, and now Sword of Air, I'm curious about what further old Necromancer Games products are going to get Pathfinder versions?

I ask because there are plenty of old NG products I never got back in the day, but if there are Pathfinder versions coming out I'd prefer not to buy the 3.X materials only to find that an updated version is coming out later.

I know you that nothing can probably be confirmed at this stage, but I'm still fairly curious if I should stop looking around for older products like Tomb of Abysthor, Bard's Gate, and others.

(I should note that I'd love Pathfinder conversions of The Wizard's Amulet/The Crucible of Freya, even though I own the original versions. Those adventures rocked on toast!)

I don't think we have any other specific plans. We have talked about Wizards Amulet/Crucible of Freya/Tomb of Abysthor/Bard's Gate but haven't made any final decisions or created any kind of timeline, so I don't know if it'll happen or not. In the meantime, if you do find a copy of ToA, I'd recommend grabbing it regardless. That sucker is hard to find and is all kinds of awesome.

Dark Archive

Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Alzrius wrote:

All joking aside, between Slumbering Tsar, the forthcoming Pathfinder version of Rappan Athuk, and now Sword of Air, I'm curious about what further old Necromancer Games products are going to get Pathfinder versions?

I ask because there are plenty of old NG products I never got back in the day, but if there are Pathfinder versions coming out I'd prefer not to buy the 3.X materials only to find that an updated version is coming out later.

I know you that nothing can probably be confirmed at this stage, but I'm still fairly curious if I should stop looking around for older products like Tomb of Abysthor, Bard's Gate, and others.

(I should note that I'd love Pathfinder conversions of The Wizard's Amulet/The Crucible of Freya, even though I own the original versions. Those adventures rocked on toast!)

I don't think we have any other specific plans. We have talked about Wizards Amulet/Crucible of Freya/Tomb of Abysthor/Bard's Gate but haven't made any final decisions or created any kind of timeline, so I don't know if it'll happen or not. In the meantime, if you do find a copy of ToA, I'd recommend grabbing it regardless. That sucker is hard to find and is all kinds of awesome.

Those are the big one I would really like to see done if any, although it is very easy to do them myself and I have already ran them as Pathfinder anyways. What I would like to see is a Necromancer/FrogGod Gazetteer.

Frog God Games

bigkilla wrote:
What I would like to see is a Necromancer/FrogGod Gazetteer.

This is also on the table for discussion. But once again, no formal plans have been made yet.


I purchased the Slumbering Tsar Saga but I haven't read through it much because I'm not sure if I will end up running it or playing it. Is there a player friendly world guide or somewhere I could look at information players would have?

As I mentioned, I have all the PDFs but haven't read through them so if there is a specific place I can look in the PDFs just let me know and I can go from there.

Thanks.


Malacki wrote:

I purchased the Slumbering Tsar Saga but I haven't read through it much because I'm not sure if I will end up running it or playing it. Is there a player friendly world guide or somewhere I could look at information players would have?

As I mentioned, I have all the PDFs but haven't read through them so if there is a specific place I can look in the PDFs just let me know and I can go from there.

Thanks.

I handed one of my players the notes on the Army of Light (~pg. 34 in Book One The Desolation Part One) in preparation for getting them to The Camp and interested in exploring The Desolation. That and notes on the Gods Thyr (pg.35 of the same book) and Muir (pg. 53 in Book One The Desolation Part Two) are fairly player friendly.


Thank you. Is this an appropriate listing for the deities of the world?

http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/gods_and_demons.pdf


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Malacki wrote:

Thank you. Is this an appropriate listing for the deities of the world?

http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/gods_and_demons.pdf

That will do for a start!

Also, I linked it for easy access.

Frog God Games

That's a decent starting point, there are a few more gods that are pulled from other products that we have updated in The Slumbering Tsar Saga. Kal-Ay'Mah (The Black One, Black Mother) is one that came to mind immediately. She's from City of Brass.

Even then, the list is inclusive, not exclusive. Feel free to add any other gods you like. <grin>

Scarab Sages

Just placed my order finally...

Will we get a pdf that collects all volumes?

Frog God Games

Yes, you do.

51 to 100 of 558 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / The Lost Lands: The Slumbering Tsar Saga (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.