Pathfinder Module: Dawn of the Scarlet Sun (PFRPG)

3.00/5 (based on 28 ratings)
GameMastery Module D0: Hollow's Last Hope (OGL)

Add PDF FREE

Print Edition Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

An adventure for six 5th-level characters.

The coastal city of Magnimar is no stranger to crime, yet recently, a series of murders has sent a chill through the early morning streets. Someone—or something—is stalking and killing worshipers of Sarenrae, the goddess of the sun. The city guard is prepared to ambush the murderer, but they need help—help of the kind that adventurers are so good at providing. What is the sinister truth behind these violent acts?

Dawn of the Scarlet Sun is a Pathfinder RPG adventure for six 5th-level characters—such as the six iconic heroes provided. In addition, this adventure can be integrated into the Shattered Star Pathfinder Adventure Path, and uses the villains featured in the Pathfinder Battles Champions of Evil Encounter Pack.

Written by James Jacobs.

This special 16-page Pathfinder Module was initially made available for Free RPG Day on June 16, 2012.

Note: Due to the special nature of this product, it is NOT part of the Pathfinder Modules Subscription.

Dawn of the Scarlet Sun is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. The Chronicle Sheet for this module is a free download (123 KB zip/PDF). Pregenerated characters are available here (1.9 MB zip/PDF).

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Unavailable

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9500-6


See Also:

1 to 5 of 29 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.00/5 (based on 28 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

3/5

Strictly follow the tactics of the monster in the last encounter.


3/5


No class levels, please!

4/5

As mentioned below, the last encounter is quite horrific. Avalexi has some quite sick magic, very high AC, SR and hp. Near to impossible to kill.

So what i did., was to make her a perfectly normal succubus, without any class levels. Then she is a CR 7, and that worked fine for me.

But it is a great module. The plotline is simple, yet challenging. The whole idea works really great. And most of the encounters worked great for my team.


The Scarlet Colour is PC Blood

4/5

Surprised at the low reviews I have had a look through. It is a well written very short adventure. It is easily thrown into any game or fantasy campaign and while it is set in Magnimar, you could port it over to somewhere else quite easily. I am thinking of using it in the near future.

This though, isn't really for level 6s. If you have a very strong full party of six members, you can take the end boss, but level 7s would be better. It all depends how challenging you want it to be, and do you want to risk a TPK? I support a tough fight once in a while, but as its a short adventure the players may feel suddenly overwhelmed at the end (as their characters die). Still Magnimar has been a tough setting before.

Art wise I don't like Avalexi - the legs are terrible, but Kasadei looks great with a strong bearing.

So it is a very challenging short adventure, and far better than 1 or 2 stars out of 5. Some don't like a hard challenge or to lose, but as it is free and dangerous, I recommend it.


All fine until the last encounter

1/5

This module probably takes the cake for one of the worst designed for PFS (unless the writer/designer wanted to near inevitably kill the whole party... then it's a job well done).

Heed the warnings of other reviewers and don't run this for new players, this module is only meant for experienced people looking for a very hard challenge. There's no fun in fighting something that is near impossible to kill (or escape) without much chance as a pregen.

Spoiler:
To put it simply, players will have to fight a BBEG that is way too powerful even for a full 6 player party of oddly made level 5 pregens...

Starting out the adventure was alright with the investigations that players had to carry out and clues that would easily be picked up eventually.

1st few encounters also just about right in terms of difficulty but still posed a threat that should be taken seriously.

Unfortunately, the last encounter with the BBEG was exetremely HORRIFYING. With over 100hp, 25+ AC, high SR, high DR, (VERY) high DCs for spells casted and instant teleport for hit and run tactics all in a tight room area... and that's not counting the fact that the BBEG's skills are insanely high, how do players survive with 6 poorly made level 5 pregens is beyond me. Oh and BBEG can just easily chase after any players that try to escape if the GM wants to be mercliess. BBEG is just a mere CR8? LIES! It's easily a CR10+ party killer encounter chucked in as a nasty final surprise.

Really, I almost felt like I wasted my time fighting against something that is impossible to kill without VERY good luck or an optimised veteran party...

I very strongly suggest avoid playing this module unless you're confident that your party of level 4-6 can handle the worst things for little reward.


1 to 5 of 29 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 235 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Boxhead wrote:
Is this module going to have ties to any map packs or flip-mats? I'm getting myself ready for free RPG day and it would be great to know ahead of time if any of the maps work particularly well.

I don't know about Maps, but they do have a Mini Set for them.

Pathfinder Battles Champions of Evil Encounter Pack.

Dark Archive Contributor

Dragnmoon wrote:
Boxhead wrote:
Is this module going to have ties to any map packs or flip-mats? I'm getting myself ready for free RPG day and it would be great to know ahead of time if any of the maps work particularly well.

I don't know about Maps, but they do have a Mini Set for them.

Pathfinder Battles Champions of Evil Encounter Pack.

Yeah, I know about the minis, I'm just hoping that the module uses existing map products to cut down on prep time like many PFS scenarios. I'm not going to have very long slots on free RPG day...

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Boxhead wrote:
Is this module going to have ties to any map packs or flip-mats? I'm getting myself ready for free RPG day and it would be great to know ahead of time if any of the maps work particularly well.

This adventure utilizes Map Pack: City Streets and two new maps designed specifically for this adventure.

Scarab Sages

Flip-Mat: City Streets?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Arazyr wrote:
Flip-Mat: City Streets?

That's the one!

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 8

James Jacobs wrote:
Arazyr wrote:
Flip-Mat: City Streets?
That's the one!

I love that flip mat, especially combined with the shops map pack. Makes for some fun/interesting encounters.


James Jacobs wrote:
Arazyr wrote:
Flip-Mat: City Streets?
That's the one!

Sweet! Serendipity says I just ordered that!

Grand Lodge

Will this have a PFS element to it like We Be Goblins?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Yes. We will be releasing a Chronicle sheet for players and GMs who play/run through this to gain Pathfinder Society credit.

Shadow Lodge

will the chronicle be out in time for Free RPG Day ?


Mark Moreland wrote:
This adventure utilizes Map Pack: City Streets and two new maps designed specifically for this adventure.

Will these "two new maps" be something revealed and made available before Free RPG Day?

Grand Lodge

Wraith235 wrote:
will the chronicle be out in time for Free RPG Day ?

Yes

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Abciximab wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
This adventure utilizes Map Pack: City Streets and two new maps designed specifically for this adventure.
Will these "two new maps" be something revealed and made available before Free RPG Day?

We do not currently have plans to distribute any content from this adventure prior to Free RPG Day, due to contractual obligations to the people putting on the event. We have permission to distribute digital copies of the adventure to GMs and Pathfinder Society volunteers running this event as a demo at a participating game store, though, so if you want to draw maps ahead of time for a demo, please coordinate with your nearest venture-captain or venture-lieutenant to get your store officially added to the list of stores offering Pathfinder demos.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm scheduling this for our store and planning on multiple slots and tables throughout the day. Does this module follow the other Free RPG Day modules to run in about 4-5 hours or should I plan on more time per slot?


Cactus-Jack wrote:
I'm scheduling this for our store and planning on multiple slots and tables throughout the day. Does this module follow the other Free RPG Day modules to run in about 4-5 hours or should I plan on more time per slot?

I think this one might actually be a little shorter. Remember - it's only a 16-page module, and there are 6 pre-generated characters included inside. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for a long adventure - though I suspect that James Jacobs has crammed a whole lot of stuff in what pages he had.


Mark,
How so do I, as a VC get stores and GM's added to the list?
Thanks,
Evan

Edit: Never mind Mike hooked me up.

The Exchange

Mark Moreland wrote:
... We have permission to distribute digital copies of the adventure to GMs and Pathfinder Society volunteers running this event as a demo at a participating game store, though, so if you want to draw maps ahead of time for a demo, please coordinate with your nearest venture-captain or venture-lieutenant to get your store officially added to the list of stores offering Pathfinder demos.

I just agreed to GM this at 7th Dimension Games in Jenkintown Pennsylvania for Free RPG Day. I would like a pdf copy so I can easily print the character sheets and so I can have clean digital copies of the maps (I am likely to use a 24" HDTV laying flat as the battle map using MapTools to provide vision blocking and fog of war).

I gather from your comment that such a pdf is possible. I see no Venture-xxx for Pennsylvania. I do see 7th Dimension Games is in your core database.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I'm hoping to get this at 10:00 (when the store opens) and read for a few hours prior to the event being at 2:00 (I'm back up GMing)

If I don't, I'll just buy a copy on the monday following :-)

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

For anyone planning on running this, contact your local campaign volunteer; if you don't have one in your region, contact mike.brock@paizo.com to organize an "official" running of this. He's out of the office until next week while at Origins, but he'll get back to you with info on what we can do to help.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Oh, I know, Mark. I just can't email my VC at work and am kibbitzing.

(Mike's at Origins? Good thing I can't afford to go. Last thing I need is another restraining order.) :P

Liberty's Edge

So will the Chronicle sheet allow for credit for a lower (say 1st or 2nd) level character should one play the pre-gens. I hope so as I like to see Free RPG day as a means to draw in new players.


I would expect that as per usual, if you play a higher-level scenario with a pre-gen, you can forgo the gold and items on the chronicle, and take the XP, Prestige, and 500 gp to apply to a new PFS character.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

I'll be running this in my FLGS on Free RPG Day. I just tried to create an event for it, but as far as I could see it didn't appear in the list of PFS sanctioned modules.

There's also a link given (on the last page of the module) as the place to visit in order to download the chronicle. There are two problems I see here:

1) This appears to be incorrect - the last part of the link should probably be "additionalResources", not "resources" - at least, that's where all the other chronicles for sanctioned modules can be found.

2) Even when you get to the right page, the chronicle isn't there yet. The modules are getting into the hands of GMs by now - I'm sure I'm not the only one to have gone looking.

Grand Lodge

Hi all. We will make sure the Chronicle is available for download before Free RPG Day. It may not be available until the day before Free RPG Day, but it will be made available so it can be distributed on Free RPG Day.

Grand Lodge

Curn_Bounder wrote:
So will the Chronicle sheet allow for credit for a lower (say 1st or 2nd) level character should one play the pre-gens. I hope so as I like to see Free RPG day as a means to draw in new players.

Yes, it will fall under normal PFS sanctioned module rules, with the exception of 3 xp and 4 pp.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
Hi all. We will make sure the Chronicle is available for download before Free RPG Day. It may not be available until the day before Free RPG Day, but it will be made available so it can be distributed on Free RPG Day.

Thanks, Mike - I'll look for the chronicle download again a bit later.

Do you expect this Module to be added to the list of modules on the "Create an Event" page any time before then?

Do you plan on fixing the website (by making 'resources' an alias for 'additionalResources') so that following the link printed on the last page of the module takes you to the right place?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Thank you for making the sheet available early.

Web Product Manager

JohnF wrote:
Michael Brock wrote:
Hi all. We will make sure the Chronicle is available for download before Free RPG Day. It may not be available until the day before Free RPG Day, but it will be made available so it can be distributed on Free RPG Day.

Thanks, Mike - I'll look for the chronicle download again a bit later.

Do you expect this Module to be added to the list of modules on the "Create an Event" page any time before then?

Do you plan on fixing the website (by making 'resources' an alias for 'additionalResources') so that following the link printed on the last page of the module takes you to the right place?

I'll see what I can do to make both these things happen. :)

Web Product Manager

The Chronicle Sheet is now available for download.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
The Chronicle Sheet is now available for download.

The Link Says..

link wrote:
Its Chronicle Sheet and additional rules for running this module are a free download

No rules on how many xp and Fame you get for this

Web Product Manager

Dragnmoon wrote:
Chris Lambertz wrote:
The Chronicle Sheet is now available for download.

The Link Says..

link wrote:
Its Chronicle Sheet and additional rules for running this module are a free download
No rules on how many xp and Fame you get for this

D'oh. That'd be my fault for using a boilerplate. It is intended to just be the Chronicle Sheet.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
D'oh. That'd be my fault for using a boilerplate. It is intended to just be the Chronicle Sheet.

Ugggg, Nothing against You Chris, but I would have preferred that the rules where with the chronicle since this is not a normal Module, and should not follow the Module Rules for PFS.

Though I am sure my Players would Love to get 3 xp and 4 PA for only a couple of hours of play time.. ;)

Grand Lodge

Dragnmoon wrote:


Ugggg, Nothing against You Chris, but I would have preferred that the rules where with the chronicle since this is not a normal Module, and should not follow the Module Rules for PFS.

Though I am sure my Players would Love to get 3 xp and 4 PA for only a couple of hours of play time.. ;)

I guess it is a good thing that the PFS FAQ has been updated then!

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Michael Brock wrote:
I guess it is a good thing that the PFS FAQ has been updated then!

Yay Mike!!!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just wondering... Why was a Day Job section included on the PFS chronicle sheet for this module? Day Job rolls are not allowed for sanction modules according to chapter 6 in the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The Chronicle sheet is a standardized form we use for all modules and scenarios. For modules, just write a 0 in the Day Job section.

Grand Lodge

Mark Moreland wrote:
For anyone planning on running this, contact your local campaign volunteer; if you don't have one in your region, contact mike.brock@paizo.com to organize an "official" running of this. He's out of the office until next week while at Origins, but he'll get back to you with info on what we can do to help.

I have not been able to get a hold of anyone over the last three weeks to get a digital copy for me and the other two dm's running this scenario at the game store this Saturday. I have the scenario from our game store to run it, I just would like to print out the pregens without bending the module to photo copy it.

Is there any way I can get a digital copy of at least the pregens?

Thank you

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Terek wrote:

Is there any way I can get a digital copy of at least the pregens?

Thank you

Is this for PFS? If it is you have to use the PFS 4th level pregens and cannot use the ones from the module.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

That could be brutal, the pregens in the book are 5th level. It also recommends being designed for "a group of 6 fifth level characters."

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
That could be brutal, the pregens in the book are 5th level. It also recommends being designed for "a group of 6 fifth level characters."

I fully agree, but they did not make the pregens in the module per PFS rules, so Mike said we have to use the PFS 4th level Pregens.

I recommend everyone that has a Pregen death in this module email Mike directly to describe in detail the circumstances behind the death and blame the whole thing on him! ;)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
That could be brutal, the pregens in the book are 5th level. It also recommends being designed for "a group of 6 fifth level characters."

This has me seriously worried. This is supposed to be a scenario that can introduce new players to the Pathfinder Society. If I end up with a table of less than six players, several of whom are unfamiliar with the Pathfinder rules, I've got a problem. Faced with:


  • A less-than-full table
  • Players who don't fully understand their character abilities.
  • Pregens (typically less effective than regular PCs)
  • Characters one level below what the module was designed for

I see a distinct possibility that this "introduction" could end up killing characters, which is not generally viewed as a good way to attract new players!

And while killing pregens is bad, I don't even want to think about what to do if one or two of the players brings along a level-appropriate PFS character, and that character ends up getting killed.

At this point I'm seriously considering running this as a non-PFS table. This is a module, not a scenario, so by the PFS rules a player must use an existing character, if possible. Playing with a pregen is only legal if the player has no level-appropriate character. (Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play v4.1, page 23).

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

Further to my last message, I would like to see it legal for me to:


  • Allow players with PFS characters to use a pregen, just as if this were a scenario.

  • Level-up the PFS pregens so they are level 5.

Fortunately somebody has already built a Hero Lab portfolio for the PFS pregens, so at least I wouldn't be starting from scratch.

Not only am I trying to attract new PFS players - I'm also trying to get the store where I'm running this on Free RPG Day interested in hosting regular PFS sessions. That will be a hard sell if I end up with unhappy players, and embarassing if I have to explain that I'm not actually running it as a PFS event!

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Matthew Morris wrote:
That could be brutal, the pregens in the book are 5th level. It also recommends being designed for "a group of 6 fifth level characters."

The adventure was playtested with the 6 included pregens, so if you run it with those it should be balanced. While the pregens aren't legal to use in other Pathfinder Society games, I don't see why you couldn't use them at the table for game demos on Saturday.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
While the pregens aren't legal to use in other Pathfinder Society games, I don't see why you couldn't use them at the table for game demos on Saturday.

Sure they can run the the Pregens in The module, the game just won't be a PFS game and they won't get the PFS Chronicle.

Edit: And that maybe a better way to do it for those worried about using the PFS 4th level pregens.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Dragnmoon wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
While the pregens aren't legal to use in other Pathfinder Society games, I don't see why you couldn't use them at the table for game demos on Saturday.
Sure they can run the the Pregens in The module, the game just won't be a PFS game and they won't get the PFS Chronicle.

Precisely. And that's not going to help promote PFS play.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Thank you Mark,

Yes Dragonmoon expressed my concerns. I have at least two PSF players eager to get killed in, er get credit for the adventure. (We need a strikeout text function.) If they play two 6th level PCs and I don't have enough PFS players to play, then either a) they play it for no credit, no harm no foul (since it's not a PFS game) or they go through with their higher level PCs and a group of newbies with the 4th level pregens and have to 'drag them along'

Maybe I'm missing the intent of the module on free RPG day. *shrug* I thought it was to let newbies 'test drive' higher levle PCs along with veterans, and everyone gets a take home sheet. (And hopefully some product from the FLGS)


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Valeors, Ezren, Merisiel, Harsk, Kyra, and Seelah.

Poor Valeros, being replaced by his cousin Valeors.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
Maybe I'm missing the intent of the module on free RPG day. *shrug* I thought it was to let newbies 'test drive' higher levle PCs along with veterans, and everyone gets a take home sheet. (And hopefully some product from the FLGS)

They are there to introduce new players, They are also not written with thoughts towards PFS, that is done afterwards.

It is just us PFS players that have this concern, everyone else (Non PFS Players) they could care less ;)

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

If you play your real PFS character of 4th, 5th, or 6th level, then that's the PC you play. Otherwise, you should be able to use the pregen provided in the adventure as the pregen for this adventure. You just can't use one of the 6 provided pregens to play another PFS scenario or sanctioned module.

Grand Lodge

You can use the pregens provided with the module for this module only for PFS credit. You may not use the pregens in this module for any other PFS event besides Dawn of the Scarlet Sun.

51 to 100 of 235 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Module: Dawn of the Scarlet Sun (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.