Pathfinder Player Companion: Dragon Empires Primer (PFRPG)

3.60/5 (based on 10 ratings)
Pathfinder Player Companion: Dragon Empires Primer (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $10.99

Add PDF $7.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

The distant continent of Tian Xia rests on the opposite side of the world from the Inner Sea region, and it shows. From the treacherous jungles of naga-ruled Nagajor to the sorcerous kingdom of Dtang Ma, and from the trackless and unforgiving deserts of Shaguang to the wondrous city of Goka, countless opportunities can be found for any character or adventure in amazingly expansive Tian Xia. While the extensive Dragon Empires Gazetteer unveils dozens of the mystical continent’s secrets, the Dragon Empires Primer provides information pertinent to creating characters for campaigns set in this vast and diverse region. This volume of Pathfinder Player Companion provides players and Game Masters alike with all of the settingspecific traits and trappings they need to customize and play characters in the Dragon Empires.

    Inside this Pathfinder Player Companion, you’ll find:
  • Overviews of all of Tian Xia’s nations, including important details for players to integrate into their characters’ backstories and new character traits for every region to give characters boons that further tie them to their homelands.
  • Rules for Tian Xia’s five most prominent races: the shapeshifting kitsune, ophidian nagaji, transmigratory samsarans, avian tengus, and shadowy wayangs.
  • Four new archetypes with distinctly Tian flavors, including the lotus geisha (bard), sword saint (samurai), white-haired witch (witch), and yokai hunter (ranger).
  • New feats for combative characters that bolster prowess in martial arts and swordplay.
  • An extensive look at the gods and philosophies of the Dragon Empires, as well as rules for the moon subdomain.
  • A new bloodline for sorcerers tainted with oni blood, and a new school of magic for wizards who wish to harness the power of the mysterious void.
  • New rules mechanics for establishing and maintaining one’s honor in the Dragon Empires.

This Pathfinder Player Companion works best with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game or the 3.5 version of the world’s oldest fantasy roleplaying game, but can be easily incorporated into any fantasy world.

Written by Tim Hitchcock and Colin McComb

Each bimonthly 32-page Pathfinder Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for social, magic, religious, and combat-focused characters, as well as traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-386-6

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9421


See Also:

1 to 5 of 10 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.60/5 (based on 10 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A nice entry

4/5

This book is a nice entry to Tian Xia, directed at players.
You find lots of good background information about different regions and deities here.
The races are all great and fun to play.
Archetypes are all very cool in idea and concept, the execution isn´t the best though unfortunately.
The feats are interesting and usefull enough though, just as the magic school and sorcerer bloodline.

The book suffers from the fact that most of the really useful content is printed in other books, from Dragon Empires Gazeteer to the Advanced Race Guide, as well as the archetypes having mechanical problems.
It would be very awesome if some of them receive updates/reprints/errata.
I also feel the sword saint could be a swashbuckler archtype.

The pro of the book is definately the Tian Xia Background info as well as the introduced races.

Should you be a fan of Tian Xia or like it: buy!


3/5

I've reviewed this book over on RPGGeek.com.


Good introduction to a fascinating setting

4/5

Read my full review on my blog.

Dragon Empires Primer presents a broad overview of the setting from a player perspective. As it serves the same basic purpose as the Inner Sea Primer (which provides an overview of the Inner Sea region), it shares the same style of layout and structure as that book, with half-page entries on each of the nations and main regions, along with new races, archetypes and feats, brief descriptions of the setting’s gods, and a system for keeping track of characters’ honour. Each nation’s entry also includes a pair of regional traits for characters from that land. It’s important to point out, however, that people expecting in-depth detail won’t find it here. Half a page is not a lot of space to describe an entire nation with anything more than the broadest strokes. What the book does do is provide an introduction to the setting, one to whet the appetites of players, and it does this very well. It provides just enough information to get players thinking about the types of characters they might like to play in the setting, and sets the stage for later, more in-depth development, provided by either the GM or future supplements.


Some use to players, a waste for DMs

1/5

So......I bought the Dragon Empires Primer PDF after getting the Gazeteer and finding that it left out some info on the Dragon Empires that would be included in the Primer. Like kitsune racial feats, and regional traits. What a waste this turned out to be.

Not only is most of the Primer just condensed or copied descriptions from the Dragon Empires Gazeteer (meaning I basically paid twice for most of the Primer's content), but there's hardly any new or useful info in the Primer for anyone who already has the Dragon Empires Gazeteer. Only 2 regional character traits for each country/region, 3 kitsune racial feats (all based on changing to fox form and back, quickly; nothing for their spell-like abilities or other racial traits), 1 bard archetype (Lotus Geisha), 1 samurai archetype (Sword Saint), 1 ranger archetype (Yokai Hunter), 1 witch archetype (White-Haired Witch), 10 new combat feats (only 1-3 of which are any use to non-monks....and 5 of the new feats are worse than core feats or just fairly pointless), 1 new samurai order (for evil samurai, and nothing new or special about it), 1 new sorcerer bloodline (the Oni Bloodline, which has a standard sorcerer skill as its bloodline class skill), 1 new wizard school (the void elemental school, which is a bit odd and requires both the Advanced Player's Guide and Ultimate Magic since some of its spells are only in those sources), 1 new wizard spell, and 2 pages describing Honor mechanics for the Dragon Empires as an optional rule.

The new material only occupies around 9 pages, and at least 1-2 of those are worthless to DMs. All in all.....the Dragon Empires Primer just isn't worth it for a DM, unless money and value are non-issues to you. Just get the DE Gazeteer PDF, if even that, which is only somewhat more detailed but more useful to DMs.

Players, at least, will get enough out of the Primer to at least make some characters hailing from the Dragon Empires, but only just. The 4 class archetypes are interesting enough and should be capable enough in a Dragon Empires campaign (perhaps the Jade Regent Adventure Path), though the Lotus Geisha and Yokai Hunter and some regional traits are unlikely to be as useful in some other parts of Golarion. The Void Elemental wizard school is neat and Call the Void is a cool spell, but with an error (it says victims can't cast spells with somatic components, when it should say verbal components, since victims can't speak in the airless void), and you'll need the APG and Ultimate Magic if you want to use its other spells. A few of the combat feats are actually useful, like Sleeper Hold, but most are weaker/more-limited than core feats.


Interesting, but has some problems

3/5

The Companion line is supposed to present a player-friendly product to help in creating characters from particular regions/races/religions/whatever. I bought the Dragon Empires Primer (DEP) for this very reason, thinking that it would be just as useful as the Inner Sea Primer (ISP).

Well, the Dragon Empires Primer certainly is similar to the Inner Sea Primer. They both have short-but-interesting half-page summaries for each country in the region covered, and a couple of pages each on archetypes (DEP has lotus geisha bard, sword saint samurai, white-haired witch, and yokai hunter ranger), arcane spellcaster variations (DEP has the oni bloodline and the void elemental wizard school), and major deities and other religions/philosophies.

The DEP has two more pages devoted to races than the ISP (which has only two). That is not surprising, as five new PC-playable races have been introduced along with a multitude of Tian ethnicities. There are also three kitsune racial feats plus a double hand-full of combat-related feats.

Unlike the ISP, the DEP does not have an abbreviated time-line to bring players up to speed on both the broad strokes of history (Earthfall/Age of Darkness, other Ages, etc.) and some of the most recent current events.

Also unlike the ISP, the DEP has two pages devoted to honour in the region, its importance, and how to track it. The system is similar to the Reputation system for the Land of the Linnorm Kings (Campaign Setting sourcebook).

The problems ...

Mistakes in the crunch/rules-heavy part. Examples include the oni bloodline's class skill, a spell name changed between a school spell list and the actual spell write-up (the same spell also has an error), and an error relating to the sword saint archetype's brutal slash class feature.

Lack of one very important player aid when creating a character - deity domains (and sub-domains). Something like that is easily left out of the ISP because those same deities are also in the Core Rules (which presumably a player has access to when creating a character). But what about a player making a character for/from the Dragon Empires?!? Most of those deities' domains are not listed in the Core Rules (exceptions: Abadar, Desna, Irori, Lamashtu, Pharasma, and Shelyn - which leaves 14 others).

Quite honestly, I think that the DEP should have used one page for listing the domains of the deities worshipped in the Dragon Empires, and one page for describing the importance of honour in the region. (While putting this information in the player-friendly sourcebook is probably a good "heads up" for players, the actual rules relating to honour should have been put in the Gazetteer.)

The lack of an abbreviated time-line also irritated me. I'm still not sure which are the 16 Successor States, and I won't know unless I do some careful reading of the 28 individual country write-ups.


1 to 5 of 10 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 312 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

chrids wrote:
can't wait to see the kitsune, love me some shapechangers.

What the Sheet Phantom said!

Oh, and when it says "details on five new races", does that mean we'll get the full racial write-ups in this book, or will it just be a teaser?


James Jacobs wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:

whats the dference between this one and the gazzateer(sorry for my spelling)

I want one of them, which ever has the write ups for the races..

its the gazateer that I wantright?

They'll both have the info for the races. The Gazetteer (which is aimed primarily at GMs) will have a bit more info, but the Primer (which is aimed primarily at players, not GMs) will have a bit of the flavor text and all of the rules for the new races.

Ah, never mind my previous comment, I should have just read a little more first. D'oh!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LoreKeeper wrote:

You do realize that the Lotus Geisha could refer to the position. Obviously a bard archetype that emphasizes yoga in its performances.

HA! nope.

It's mostly called the "Lotus Geisha" becasue we wanted a vaguely Asian-themed word to differentiate the archetype from the generic geisha that appears in Ultimate Magic (which doesn't really do what I felt a geisha should do—the Lotus Geisha has a much stronger focus on enhancing enchantment effects, for one...).


Mmm... I wonder if the Lotus Geisha or normal gaisha might be appropreate to play a goze, inspired by Sara, from Samurai Champloo. Or perhaps there is some other way to do it.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I really hope this book has some martial arts style feats or some combat feats that are good for polearm-wielding characters.

I reached this desire after just trying to find appropriate feats for a polearm/reach weapon -using Inquisitor for PFS and reviewing Ultimate Combat and the other Pathfinder books I have and only finding one in Faiths of Purity for worshipers of Shelyn. Beyond that and the Fighter archetype there doesn't seem to be much for polearm or reach weapon users that aren't Fighters.


James Jacobs wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:

You do realize that the Lotus Geisha could refer to the position. Obviously a bard archetype that emphasizes yoga in its performances.

HA! nope.

It's mostly called the "Lotus Geisha" becasue we wanted a vaguely Asian-themed word to differentiate the archetype from the generic geisha that appears in Ultimate Magic (which doesn't really do what I felt a geisha should do—the Lotus Geisha has a much stronger focus on enhancing enchantment effects, for one...).

Out of interest, is the "drunken monk" touched on again in the new Dragon Empires content? I think of it as one of the most recognized tropes for the setting - so maybe like the lotus geisha a reprisal exists for it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LoreKeeper wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:

You do realize that the Lotus Geisha could refer to the position. Obviously a bard archetype that emphasizes yoga in its performances.

HA! nope.

It's mostly called the "Lotus Geisha" becasue we wanted a vaguely Asian-themed word to differentiate the archetype from the generic geisha that appears in Ultimate Magic (which doesn't really do what I felt a geisha should do—the Lotus Geisha has a much stronger focus on enhancing enchantment effects, for one...).

Out of interest, is the "drunken monk" touched on again in the new Dragon Empires content? I think of it as one of the most recognized tropes for the setting - so maybe like the lotus geisha a reprisal exists for it.

We've done some "drunken master" stuff already for monks in the Advanced Player's Guide (the "drunken master" monk archetype appears on page 110 of that book), and so we didn't really feel the need to do much more—especially with space taken up by some things that really haven't been covered all that well specifically for Tian Xia.


When will we see the final cover art?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:
When will we see the final cover art?

Good question! Can't say for sure. I don't make those decisions.


Yay more Witch stuff - the Witch is my favorite class & one of the reasons i left 4E for Pathfinder.

i hope there is a photo for the White Haired Witch too :)

Excited for the book.

Is there any way we can request Feiya avatar photo to be added? She doesnt have an avatar photo :(


Can you reveal what other archetypes will be in the primer? I'm hoping for one monk archetype - it's just so appropriate for the region.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LoreKeeper wrote:

Can you reveal what other archetypes will be in the primer? I'm hoping for one monk archetype - it's just so appropriate for the region.

Not yet.... but soon, hopefully! (Although I have revealed that one of the four is the lotus geisha, a bard archetype... and I think I've revealed that another is the white-haired witch, a witch archetype that starts to blur the line a little between witch and rogue.)


James Jacobs wrote:
Not yet.... but soon, hopefully! (Although I have revealed that one of the four is the lotus geisha, a bard archetype... and I think I've revealed that another is the white-haired witch, a witch archetype that starts to blur the line a little between witch and rouge.)

So its an ironically named archetype then? ;)


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LoreKeeper wrote:

Can you reveal what other archetypes will be in the primer? I'm hoping for one monk archetype - it's just so appropriate for the region.

Not yet.... but soon, hopefully! (Although I have revealed that one of the four is the lotus geisha, a bard archetype... and I think I've revealed that another is the white-haired witch, a witch archetype that starts to blur the line a little between witch and rouge.)

The names of all four were announced in the previews of "Faiths of Corruption": Lotus Geisha, Sword Saint, Spirit Hunter, and the White-Haired Witch. We just don't know what classes the Sword Saint and Spirit Hunter go to.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LoreKeeper wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Not yet.... but soon, hopefully! (Although I have revealed that one of the four is the lotus geisha, a bard archetype... and I think I've revealed that another is the white-haired witch, a witch archetype that starts to blur the line a little between witch and rouge.)

So its an ironically named archetype then? ;)

Lame.

FORTUNATELY not enough time had passed and I was able to change that error!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ashanderai wrote:
The names of all four were announced in the previews of "Faiths of Corruption": Lotus Geisha, Sword Saint, Spirit Hunter, and the White-Haired Witch. We just don't know what classes the Sword Saint and Spirit Hunter go to.

OH! Cool; glad I wasn't half-remembering something we hadn't announced yet!

In that case... I don't see a problem pulling the curtain back a tad more:

Lotus Geisha: bard archetype
White-Haired Witch: witch archetype
Sword Saint: samurai archetype
Yokai Hunter: ranger archetype (note the name change from "spirit hunter!")

No monk archetypes, in other words. There's some kung fu type feats though!


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
The names of all four were announced in the previews of "Faiths of Corruption": Lotus Geisha, Sword Saint, Spirit Hunter, and the White-Haired Witch. We just don't know what classes the Sword Saint and Spirit Hunter go to.

OH! Cool; glad I wasn't half-remembering something we hadn't announced yet!

In that case... I don't see a problem pulling the curtain back a tad more:

Lotus Geisha: bard archetype
White-Haired Witch: witch archetype
Sword Saint: samurai archetype
Yokai Hunter: ranger archetype (note the name change from "spirit hunter!")

No monk archetypes, in other words. There's some kung fu type feats though!

Awesome! I am glad to see an official Samurai archetype come into the game.

I knew that with a name that included the word, "hunter", that the Spirit Hunter - now Yokai Hunter - would be either a ranger or inquisitor archetype. Too bad it isn't for the inquisitor though. I haven't been too thrilled with any of that class's archetypes so far.

I was hoping that the witch archetype would add a tad bit of monk and martial arts to the witch's abilities. I hope the archetype doesn't disappoint - I don't like any of the witch archetypes so far and it is probably my favorite class; right there with magus and alchemist.


That is pretty epic though! The APG's cavalier didn't move me much - but the samurai alternate archetype has been great for me thus far:

Not for Jade Regent players still in part 1:

I GM this one for my players and have adapted the samurai resolve ability to remain standing on negative hitpoints for the undead Tsutamu such that he could keep going once he reached 0 hit points. He even managed to drop the target of his challenge to regain one resolve, allowing him to remain standing one more turn. It became a very memorable finale to the marsh arc with the players having to pull together in creative ways to get through the encounter.

Also I've got a very enjoyable (samurai) character with a cheesy over-the-top background that gets himself into trouble on a regular basis. Due to his background he's sworn to protect a particular party member; and he drops whatever he's doing whenever she's in trouble. This has led to some great moments making unlikely leaps (in heavy armor) and running away from boss-fights to help his sworn-charge against a minion.


I can't wait to find out about the four new player races and more about the Tengu.

Also the Oni bloodline for Sorcerers sound very interesting to me

I would still like to see martial art achtypes for all of the classes one day.

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:


Sword Saint: samurai archetype

Will Samurai's be getting more orders?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

dartnet wrote:
Will Samurai's be getting more orders?

Not really... There IS a new order called the "Order of the Black Daimyo" but it gets no new powers—it basically uses the normal samurai order but changes flavor text a little—these are lawful evil samurai who fight more for battle and sword glory than they do for anything else.


Nice new cover.


I love the cover art for the Dragon Empires series. It's as if the artist have just been waiting for the opportunity to do this kind of thing.

December... it's not thaaaat far away.

Dark Archive

Neat cover.


Is that suposed to be a Samurai or an Oni?


Dragon78 wrote:
Is that suposed to be a Samurai or an Oni?

Maybe it's Samurai Oni? Toho Studios used to have a Samurai Joker...


It's obviously a pirate, who pilfered some samurai's stuff.


Or an Oni blooded Tiefling pirate that stole a samurai's equipment.

Dark Archive

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm not terribly interested in an Asian-themed setting. I hope Paizo puts out some other campaign content too.

Contributor

Hive.Star wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm not terribly interested in an Asian-themed setting. I hope Paizo puts out some other campaign content too.

That is the plan—check out our upcoming Player Companion books here or the Campaign Setting material here!


I, on the other hand am very interested in asian cultures/mythologies, as well as many other cultures. I like when fantasy games incorporate real world myths and cultures.

Dark Archive

Dragon78 wrote:
I, on the other hand am very interested in asian cultures/mythologies, as well as many other cultures. I like when fantasy games incorporate real world myths and cultures.

Eh, it's just too played-out for me. I'm already in an L5R campaign.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Dragon78 wrote:
I, on the other hand am very interested in asian cultures/mythologies, as well as many other cultures. I like when fantasy games incorporate real world myths and cultures.

Me, too.


The cover art in all its glory


Heine Stick wrote:
The cover art in all its glory

Oh yeah!


Just noticed that the preorder date got moved back to January. Shame I'm really looking foreword to this book.

On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?

Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
gbonehead wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?

Actually it is an Alternate Class, so it is a bit of a grey area.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

gbonehead wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?

Where did I say ninja's a base class?

Ninja is still an archetype. As is samurai.

You can have an archetype for an archetype. We've done one already for the antipaladin, for example.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Justin Franklin wrote:
gbonehead wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?

Actually it is an Alternate Class, so it is a bit of a grey area.

Only real difference between "Archetype" and "Alternate class" is that an "Alternate class" gets its own art by Wayne Reynolds and gets all of its abilities plugged in for you on a table.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
gbonehead wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?

Actually it is an Alternate Class, so it is a bit of a grey area.
Only real difference between "Archetype" and "Alternate class" is that an "Alternate class" gets its own art by Wayne Reynolds and gets all of its abilities plugged in for you on a table.

But if you make an archetype for an alternate class can it only replace abilities from the original class then?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Justin Franklin wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
gbonehead wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
SquishyPoetFromBeyondTheStars wrote:
On a side question does any one know (or willing to share) if there are any Ninja archetypes in this book?
Nope; there's 4 archetypes in the book—one for bards, one for samurai, one for witches, and one for rangers.

Wait a sec ... I thought Ninja was an archetype, and that's why PCs couldn't multiclass rogue/ninja!

Now it's a full base class?

Actually it is an Alternate Class, so it is a bit of a grey area.
Only real difference between "Archetype" and "Alternate class" is that an "Alternate class" gets its own art by Wayne Reynolds and gets all of its abilities plugged in for you on a table.
But if you make an archetype for an alternate class can it only replace abilities from the original class then?

Nope. A samurai archetype has to be a samurai. A ninja archetype would have to be a ninja.

These types of archetypes are going to be VERY rare. So far, I believe that there's only 2, maybe 3 in existence, of which only 1 has yet been published.


I am more interested in the Oni bloodline then the archtypes anyway.

I still would like to see martial arts style archtypes for every class one day.

Well even though it got pushed back at least it is only about a month wait between this and Gazeteer.

I would also like to hardcover books like the innersea guide done for the other continents some day.


Dragon78 wrote:

I am more interested in the Oni bloodline then the archtypes anyway.

Well, if you simply must have a game-balanced Oni bloodline for sorcerers, then Rite Publishing has one in their Wyrd of Questhaven PDF. It's also in their big In the Company of Monsters PDF, along with about a thousand other amazing gameable tidbits.

And hey, right now they're on sale!


I am not a fan of third party products, in fact the only one I got for 3.5 was the Tome of horrors I.

I hope it is early january when it comes out.


James Jacobs wrote:
dartnet wrote:
Will Samurai's be getting more orders?
Not really... There IS a new order called the "Order of the Black Daimyo" but it gets no new powers—it basically uses the normal samurai order but changes flavor text a little—these are lawful evil samurai who fight more for battle and sword glory than they do for anything else.

You may have just convinced me to make a rival for a certain cocky, self absorbed, chaotic good Taldan cavalier of the cockatrice that one of my players is playing in my Jade Regent game.


will the gods be in this??

Contributor

Steelfiredragon wrote:
will the gods be in this??

Yes, as well as in Dragon Empires Gazetteer.


With a significant portion of the primer dedicated to races and gods (essentially reprints from the gazetteer) what portion and content in the primer is dedicated to delicious freshness?

51 to 100 of 312 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Player Companion: Dragon Empires Primer (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.