The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage (PFRPG) PDF

***½( ) (based on 4 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Traditional wizards find magic in books, sorcerers in blood, and bards in music. The most powerful magical creatures of the Material Plane—dragons—find magic in color. Ignoring the traditional schools of magic, mosaic mages define spells by associated color. Red magic is violent and aggressive, but it also heals and loves. Both black magic and white magic are death, but one is also evil while the other good. Blue is mysticism, utility, and knowledge. Yellow is energy, enigmas, and light.

Mosaic mages prefer to identify themselves by the color in which they specialize. A mosaic mage who specializes in yellow magic, for example, prefers to be known as a yellow mage. So attuned to the color of magic in which they specialize, mosaic mages emanate a translucent aura that tints their skin and clothes. Although this tinted aura is not perceived any more powerfully by detect magic, it is obvious to the naked eye.

Ridiculed by the ignorant and magically sterile, mosaic mages of every color possess unique access to spells that are the envy of their bookish brethren. Red mages, for example, are among the few arcane casters with healing powers but who can also throw fire around better than divine healers. A minority among the already rare ranks of the mosaic mages are those who blend colors together to expand their access to magic, such as green mages, who can benefit from all magic associated with the mystical blue and enigmatic yellow spell spectrums. By studying the lessons of great wizards and historic artists, mosaic mages see magic in a different light.

Product Availability

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOPDFRGGOWC5126E


See Also:

Average product rating:

***½( ) (based on 4 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Chromatic Casting

***( )( )

Once upon a time I went on a binge where I bought almost every SGG .pdf available on Paizo and I've slowly been separating the wheat from the chaff ever since.

This is definite wheat.

The Mosaic Mage takes basically every school and subschool of magic, chops them up, color codes them, and then makes you pick the color you want to go with. Red, for example, has access to conjuration (healing) spells, spells with the fire descriptor, all evocation spells without specific energy descriptors, and a few other options. My friend likes to refer to this as the "Magic the Gathering" style of spellcasting, though the basic premise is well represented in other modern fiction, like Brent Weeks' Lightbringer novels.

In addition to a color (or sub-color) you get a selection of abilities based on the color chosen. These abilities range from the awesome to the mundane, though are all generally useful.

I liked this class so much that I often replace the normal core casters (particularly the Wizard and Sorcerer) with Mosaic Mages, making the color based casting the standard for my campaign world. There's a big reason I don't do this all the time though. The core books don't categorize non-Wizard spells by school. All spells still fall into a particular school, but for the divine and 3/4 or 1/2 caster spell lists you've got to sift through. You learn some interesting things, like which spells you were sure belonged to one subschool actually don't, but it can be a bit of a pain and nothing in this document helps the search. There's also quite a few colors where you'll be struggling to find spells that match your available spell types to fill up your spells known for that level. Between all of the Paizo core books there were exactly enough spells for my 0 level spells known when building a Red Mosaic Mage, and I had to dig a bit to scrounge up a decent array of the other low level spells as well. Mid level spells (like 3rd through 6th) were very robust and well supported, but as I reached the far end of things I was back to scrounging a bit. All of this digging and the lack of some kind of tool or reference guide in the core document is the entire reason this thing is getting three stars. If there were a basic reference document for the spells by level available to the prime colors, even if it were just the spells from the CRB, this would be an easy 4. If they updated the .pdf to add in the spell lists from the other Paizo core products like the APG and Ultimate Magic, it'd be a 5. As it is, the research necessary to put a spell list together relegates this to a class best left to experienced players.


Color-coded mages that could replace divine magic in your game

***( )( )

This pdf is 13 pages long, 2/3 of a page front cover, 1 page editorial & SRD, leaving 11 1/3 pages of content for the mosaic mage, so let's check it out!

What are the Mosaic Mages? Essentially, they are a variant of the regular specialty wizard that gets access to a certain selection of sub-schools of wizardry as well as abilities based on the colors (or combination thereof) of their specialization. Fluff-wise, a magical tint may accompany them, infusing their very being with the color of their magic. Every 4th level, the mage gets a spectrum power.

Each of the primary spectrums the mosaic mage can choose has 2 subspectrums and preparing spells from these schools take up 2 slots instead of one. In addition to this, Mosaic Mages can e.g. specialize in mixed spectrums instead of the primary ones, choosing 5 of the 9 schools and sub-schools of the component spectrums, a green mosaic mage e.g. choosing from yellow and blue.

Each of the spectrums gets access to a kind of energy associated with the color (if you know the color-code of chromatic dragons, then you know what kind of energy the color gets access to) and depending on the color, other sub-schools. Unsurprisingly, e.g. Black gets access to Necromancy and Illusion (Shadow), Abjuration, Enchantment (Compulsion), Illusion (Phantasm) and Evocation spells with the [Acid]-descriptor, while Blue gains access to Illusion (Glamer), Abjuration, Conjuration (Teleportation), Divination (Scrying), Transmutation (Polymorph) and Evocation [Electricity]. In case you're wondering: Yellow gets [sonic]-spells, while white gets actually access to Conjuration (Creation) and Conjuration (Healing)-spells, making the mosaic mages a rather interesting choice in that the white mages may provide healing without being divine casters.

Each of the spectrums gains access to a selection of spectrum powers (And advanced spectrum powers starting at 12th level), which replace essentially Arcane Discoveries and range from Darkvision to a tar-like, slowing aura up to a multitude of improved mage-hands and the ability to spontaneously convert spells into associated energies.

The pdf also includes 4 different feats, two of which grant you access to additional spectrum and advanced spectrum powers, one that grants you access to another spectrum and one to suppress your mosaic aura.

Conclusion:
Editing and formatting are not up to SGG's usual standard, there are more editing glitches in this pdf than usual. The pdf has no bookmarks and features neat artworks. layout adheres to SGG's 3-column standard.
The Mosaic Mages per se are an interesting concept in that their spell-selection is at once very wide and very limited - having access to both healing and arcane battle magic is interesting and might make the "Cleric/Druid-is-necessary" obsolete while still providing access to devastating battle-spells. On the other hand, the limitation to one energy-type (at least without taking feats/dual-spectrums) is a major drawback and I'm not entirely sold on the idea or the in-game balance of the different spectrum powers among the respective selections. The fact that the aura makes being a mosaic mage VERY obvious might make the class problematic for low-magic settings unless you make the color-aura only pop up when casting. The Mosaic Mages are not necessarily too versatile and the color-coding makes them a bit more predictable than I personally enjoy. While the Mosaic Mages do succeed in providing a distinct playing experience, their spectrum powers and overall potential fall a bit short of what they could have been. Combines with the editing glitches, my final verdict will thus be 3 stars.

Endzeitgeist out.


Impulse Buy, but Worth It ^_^

****( )

Okay, my first review. Wish me luck ^_^

I'm not gonna lie: the big thing that drew me to this latest Genius Guide was the cover. I mean, seriously! The mage on the front is a beautiful, Asian-inspired character. She's gorgeous. But don't go thinking I only bought this because I liked the cover. Oh no. Super Genius Games provides a rather interesting new concept for an arcane spell caster. I like the concepts behind each of the color spectrums, how individual mosaic mages can mix and match colors to create unique characters, and the subtle nostalgia the ideas bring to mind (I'm thinking of a certain video game series, no prize for guessing which one). ^_^

Like Kolokotroni mentioned, there is no real spell list given for the mosaic mage. Instead, there's specific schools and subschools of spells that mosaic mages can take. While I don't feel like this is as big a drawback as Kolokotroni says (at least, not for all gamers; I never leave home without my laptop, which has all my pdfs and usually gets internet), it is somewhat of a drawback. However, I feel like this is something that can be modified by GMs to their liking, and it allows characters to get super creative with their characters. The concept of the spellprism was cool but slightly confusing. I'm gonna need to read this over a couple times to completely understand it.

Still, this is a class I would love to play or add to a campaign, and it was definitely worth falling in love with the chick on the cover. 4/5 stars. ^_^ (I'd give 4.5, but doesn't look like half stars are available)


Great Product, one major problem

****( )

I think most of us can look on the concept of red mage, black mage, and white mage with some nostalgia. The idea that certain kinds of magic are associated with a certain color has been around for a long time. A certain collectable card game may have made it famous, but it certainly didnt start there.

The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage brings this concept to pathfinder. There are 5 primary colors or spectrusm, red, black, white, blue and yellow. Each has their own 'spectrum powers' associated with the themes, as well as their own area of spells. The colors are well themed and the concept that certain colors complement each other I like a lot.

The problem comes with the spells for the class. You have access to ALL spells that fit certain school/subschool list for each spectrum. For instance, yellow has conjuration (summoning), Conjuration (teleportation), evocation (no energy type), Evocation (sonic),Illusion(patern), Tranmutation(with no subschool). You have access to ANY spell that fits these schools.

There however is no useful listing in any of the books of spells in a format that would allow you to easily look through them for the above schools. And here in lies with the problem with this product. Thankfully if you head over to the pathfinder srd website, their spells db will help ALOT, but I dont really like relying on a computer and a website to be able to create a character. Sometimes these things are not available (I keep a print copy of all my gaming pdfs that moves with my other books).

I never thought i'd say this but I like unique spell lists better then I like this method of creating guidelines for spell lists. It is just too much work to go through all the spells to find which ones match the criteria to make it worth it to use the class (particularly as a dm making an npc which is what I was considering using this class for).

For that, I give it 4 stars instead of 5. I really do like the class, but it probably would have been better served with its own spell list(s) in my opinion.


1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Super Genius Games

It's live!

Hyrum.


Sweet. I know someone who'd love this.


You guys never cease to amaze.
Now I gotta scrounge up 4 bucks :P

Super Genius Games

Kryzbyn wrote:

You guys never cease to amaze.

Now I gotta scrounge up 4 bucks :P

We certainly try. :)

(One less Starbucks run this week? :>)


I dunno...

Chai tea lattes are the shtuff.

I KEED


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I can already see the follow-ups to this, as there are plenty of shades, tints, and tones out there just waiting to become a form of mosaic magic.


Brilliant Idea to take the magic of lantern rings and make them into the a form of pathfinder magic. Just Bloody Brilliant.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

very cool and yet another product put in my cart. Like the 4th one today.


What a great concept! My players are notorious for not trying new classes and such, but as the GM I have no qualms about throwing new things at 'em. When my "DM Break" is over, I see good times ahead!

And since I complain about the art more than anyone, I must say the cover is beautiful and the wizard on page 6 is awesome!!!!

Ok, off to read the new goodie more closely.

Liberty's Edge

I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am very glad i noticed Owens post on this on his facebook account this morning, because I was able to get it and print it out to read on the train ride this morning. Very interesting concept. I am not sure how I feel about the class yet as I need to take a long look at the spells for the various colors. Unfortunately there is no good list of ALL spells by school that also lists subschools that I know of, so I am going to have to do some digging to actually see the spell lists as a whole (which is obviously important for evaluating the value of a primary caster).

Liberty's Edge

DungeonmasterCal wrote:


And since I complain about the art more than anyone, I must say the cover is beautiful

I agree - the cover art is very nice!


Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.

Are you the author?

Liberty's Edge

Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?

Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.

Shadow Lodge

Awesome! I'm buying this after finishing this post. It works great for a character I have(Kryzbyn knows who) that is a color mage!

(^-^)


I picked it up to DB3. that's who I had in mind when I read the desription :P

Shadow Lodge

Kryzbyn wrote:
I picked it up to DB3. that's who I had in mind when I read the desription :P

XD

It looks awesome so far!


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?
Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.

Well, I love the concept, but I have to say I dont think I will ever be able to use this class. I love the idea that the spell lists are open ended, but they way they are divided means I will literally have to go through every spell one by one (by name) and try to figure out which are or arent on the mosaic mage's spell list. There arent any lists of all spells by school let alone by subschool, so putting together a spelllist would be working essentially from scratch.


Kolokotroni wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
I'm very excited to read the reviews on this one.
Are you the author?
Yep. My first work for the Geniuses. Mages are outsider my comfort zone so I had to work a lot harder on the design for this one. I'd love any feedback to know how I did.
Well, I love the concept, but I have to say I dont think I will ever be able to use this class. I love the idea that the spell lists are open ended, but they way they are divided means I will literally have to go through every spell one by one (by name) and try to figure out which are or arent on the mosaic mage's spell list. There arent any lists of all spells by school let alone by subschool, so putting together a spelllist would be working essentially from scratch.

How does it handle it? Subschools go to specific color of mages?

If so, just use this!


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Cheapy wrote:

How does it handle it? Subschools go to specific color of mages?

If so, just use this!

Yes I had thought about looking at the srd spells db, havent really given it alot of attention (the site is blocked here at work). But how it works is each of the colors have a set schools and subschools from which their spells come. ALL spells within these schools are available. So for instance Blue has Conjuration(teleportation). It wouldnt matter whether the spell is on the wizard list, the cleric list or any other, they get it, but at whatever the highest listed spell level is. I will have to see if i can create a useful way to interface with the d20pfsrd spells db, because to use these classes you really need a way to sort and order a huge number of spells.


Yea, the spells db does that wonderfully.


There are also Green mages, or just primary colors' ones?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Bardess wrote:
There are also Green mages, or just primary colors' ones?

You can have mages that are a blend of the primary colors (Green/Grey/Orange) etc.


I'm still going over the mechanics, but I'm really liking this class. Usually my eyes just glaze over at Aura class features, but there's something about the Mosaic Mages' auras that come off as a really cool effect.

Of course, now I have to make a Mosaic Mage with extremely low Charisma, part of which is due to the colour of his Spectrum not being very complimentary. After all, not everyone can pull off every colour.

If I can put a request into the SGG suggestion box, I'd definitely like to see an expansion that adds more Spectrum and Advanced Spectrum powers to choose from.

As a quick question, I was looking at the Burning Rage power from the Red school and was wondering about the rage mechanic. I'm assuming that the Red Mage gets the physical bonuses and penalties of raging in addition to the caster level increase, but just what level is he considered for the purposes of the benefits/penalties of the rage. Is he always considered a 1st level Barbarian or is he considered a Barbarian equal to his Mosaic Mage levels?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

Paizo Employee Starfinder Design Lead

Justin Sluder wrote:
I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

If the idea of magic being divided thematically (spells that deal with life and death/spells that deal with perception and illusions/spells that deal with heat and passion) appeals to you, this is a great class to play with. I think Ryan did an awesome job of not only making a class that works well with the normal Pf classes, but also creating something that could replace nearly all spellcasters in a campaign (if a GM wanted to create something really new and different).

Paizo Employee Starfinder Design Lead

A big "Thank You" to the two reviewers, Kolokotroni and Lunar Mage!

Liberty's Edge

Great jon Ryan! This looks like a really cool, unique idea for a class!


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
A big "Thank You" to the two reviewers, Kolokotroni and Lunar Mage!

Not a problem, I need to sit down and review some of the other sgg products i have, its just one of those tasks thats hard to start because it seems so daunting. This one kind of pushed me to put in a review because I thought people should get the warning that the class is very hard to manage without some form of electronic assistance in the management of the spell lists.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Design Lead

Kolokotroni wrote:
I need to sit down and review some of the other sgg products i have, its just one of those tasks thats hard to start because it seems so daunting.

Let me know if there's anything I can do it help with that. :D Seriously, reviews are always helpful, so I'd love to see your thoughts on other SGG books, even if the reviews are fairly short.

Liberty's Edge

Tobias wrote:

As a quick question, I was looking at the Burning Rage power from the Red school and was wondering about the rage mechanic. I'm assuming that the Red Mage gets the physical bonuses and penalties of raging in addition to the caster level increase, but just what level is he considered for the purposes of the benefits/penalties of the rage. Is he always considered a 1st level Barbarian or is he considered a Barbarian equal to his Mosaic Mage levels?

I see how I could have made that clearer. My intention was for burning rage to work like the basic version of rage that barbarians receive at 1st level, regardless of the mosaic mage's level.

Justin Sluder wrote:
I just today started a new pbp. Why should I buy and use this in it? :D

Eep. Hope it's not to late for this one. Well, in addition to what Owen said, and knowing that you are a lover of character building, the mosaic mage allows you to create a spellcaster with both a versatile and highly thematic spell list. There are multiple tiers of customizability between choosing your magic spectrum, the option to choose a secondary spectrum, spectrum power selection, and of course the spells. Finally, colour carries with it a great deal of potential for personality and motivation. What makes a blue mage blue? You decide!


It's an intriguing concept, but what does this class offer other than unique spell lists?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
It's an intriguing concept, but what does this class offer other than unique spell lists?

Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.


Kolokotroni wrote:
Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.

That's sort of the problem:

So far all I know is that the spell lists are designed a unique way and it has powers like every other magic class has powers.
What are the sorts of things these powers do that I need this product as opposed to calling another kind of caster a Mosaic Mage?

Liberty's Edge

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
Kolokotroni wrote:
Each spectrum (color or combination of colors) has a set of power it can choose from as it levels up much like oracle mysteries. Each set of powers helps flesh out the mosaic mage to be more then just a particular set of spells.

That's sort of the problem:

So far all I know is that the spell lists are designed a unique way and it has powers like every other magic class has powers.
What are the sorts of things these powers do that I need this product as opposed to calling another kind of caster a Mosaic Mage?

Well, we are talking about a full casting class. A barbarian differs from a fighter purely based on class features. With a caster, the spell list goes a long way.

Let me see if I can sum up the mechanical particularities of the mosaic mage:

Memorizes spells like a prepared caster;
Knows all spells on his spell list, like a cleric;
Spell list includes all spells of the schools, subschools, and descriptors in the spectrum of the mosaic mage, not limited to wizard spells, cleric spells, bard spells, etc;
Spectrum powers and advanced spectrum powers based on colour, such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.

You certainly could theme a wizard and call it a black mage or white mage or whatever in the same way you could have created a wizard that specialized in debuffing enemies and called it a witch. The mosaic mage, like the witch, takes what could have been a character concept and modifies the options into a class of its own.


Ryan. Costello wrote:
....such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.

See I consider this the most important part of deciding on a class, whether to play or include in a world. It doesn't even need to be all that much information, as you've told me what makes the red mage unique from half a sentence.

Liberty's Edge

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
Ryan. Costello wrote:
....such as a red mage's ability to rage similar to a barbarian.
See I consider this the most important part of deciding on a class, whether to play or include in a world. It doesn't even need to be all that much information, as you've told me what makes the red mage unique from half a sentence.

Glad I could help. I'll try to post a hint of each colour's flavour later tonight.

Liberty's Edge

As promised, some insight into how the spectrum powers make each mosaic mage spectrum unique:

Black: Black mages are secretive and defensive. Black spectrum powers grant concealment, AC bonuses, and abilities that help a mage navigate the shadows.
Blue: Blue mages are fluid and intellihent. Blue spectrum powers grant skill points and adapt to environments.
Red: Red mages are passionate and physical. Red spectrum powers are about fire, blood, and emotion.
White: White mages are death and purity. White spectrum powers generate light, heal, and can be combined to create an angel of death.
Yellow: Yellow mages are enigmatic. Yellow spectrum powers provide a wide variety of abilities that are hard to summarize, but they can use their aura to lasso things like something out of Green Lantern.


Ah, thank you.


On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Design Lead

Barong wrote:
On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.

We humbly recommend the d20pfsrd.com spell db, found here.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Barong wrote:
On the Pathfinder SRD, where is the section that groups spells by school? I couldn't find it anywhere. I just bought this book and love it but all the work to find the right spells is turning me off.
We humbly recommend the d20pfsrd.com spell db, found here.

Whoa! Thanks! This is just perfect :).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.


I imagine that adding the spell lists might have significantly increased both the size and cost of this product and simply repeated information available in the Core Rules and the PFSRD. While inconvenient, I can see how this would have been a factor in the decision not to include them.

Liberty's Edge

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.

I was compiling a list to do just that but as Owen pointed out, there is a comprehensive tool that does it already. As it is, I was going to limit this to the Core Rulebook. The d20pfsrd.com spell database includes all open spells, and will expand as new spells are released. It is hard to make a free PDF that competes with that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ryan. Costello wrote:
SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:
"Mosaic Mage Spell List" sounds like a good free product.
I was compiling a list to do just that but as Owen pointed out, there is a comprehensive tool that does it already. As it is, I was going to limit this to the Core Rulebook. The d20pfsrd.com spell database includes all open spells, and will expand as new spells are released. It is hard to make a free PDF that competes with that.

Is there a sidebar that points to that page / site? You could try working out a permalink with John.

Liberty's Edge

Cheapy wrote:
Is there a sidebar that points to that page / site? You could try working out a permalink with John.

As of now, no. But it's been added to the to do list.

Also, just want to thank everyone who helped make The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage the #2 Top Download from Other Companies this week. I would love to hear about the mosaic mages people have rolled up out there.


Ryan, check out this link. Might be helpful!

Liberty's Edge

Thanks Cheapy!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm not sure I understand why secondary spectrum mages need to designate five of the nine schools and subschools that they can cast from their pair of magical spectra.

The book says:

Quote:
He may prepare and cast any spells drawn from his chosen primary focus of schools and subschools. He may prepare spells from the schools and subschools normally part of his two primary spectrums, but which he did not select as part of his primary focus by using two spells slots.

What's the point of choosing a primary focus if you can prepare all of the spells from each spectrum a secondary mosaic mage chooses?

1 to 50 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / The Genius Guide to the Mosaic Mage (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.