GameMastery Map Pack: Waterfront

****½ (based on 3 ratings)
GameMastery Map Pack: Waterfront

Add PDF $8.99

Print Edition Out of print

Facebook Twitter Email

Down at the Docks!

The lifeblood of any port city, the waterfront is the place to go to get the latest news from distant realms and the first shipments of rare imports. Unfortunately, it's also a prime place for thieves, pirates, press gangs, sea monsters, and worse to lie in wait. A trip to the waterfront should never be dull, and now this iconic city locale comes roaring to life in one of Paizo Publishing's GameMastery Map Packs! This line of gaming accessories provides simple and elegant tools for the busy Game Master.

Inside, you'll find 18 full-color 5 x 8-inch map tiles, stunningly crafted by cartographer Corey Macourek that can be combined to form an entire city waterfront—or mix and match to make a dockside scene of your own!

    These cards present several different waterfront elements, including:
  • Wooden Piers
  • Small Fishing Boats
  • Large Boat
  • Merchants' Boardwalk
  • Urban Shorelines
  • Lots of Hungry Seagulls

Additionally, Map Pack: Waterfront can be combined with Flip-Mat: Waterfront Tavern in a number of different ways to create an even larger waterfront scene!

Game Masters shouldn't waste their time scribbling boats and piers every time the player characters head down to the docks. With GameMastery Map Pack: Waterfront, you'll always be ready with a place for shady merchant deals or surprise giant octopus attacks!

For use with the industry's most popular roleplaying or tabletop miniature campaigns, and useable by experienced GMs and novices alike, this product fits perfectly into any Game Master's arsenal.

Good GMs can never have too many maps at their disposal, and Paizo's GameMastery Map Packs provide high-quality gridded maps for use with both RPGs and miniatures games.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-162-6


Click to enlarge

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Maps Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO4018


See Also:

Average product rating:

****½ (based on 3 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Not What You've Come to Expect

****( )

In light of the rest of this product line, this set quite startled me. Although Paizo prides itself on non-interchangeable scenes you could almost never use, this set somehow slipped past their censors: it is actually modular, so pieces work together in multiple combinations, AND you might actually have a use for the scenes depicted. Rest assured, we won't have to put up with this kind of quality & utility again!


Would work better as a flip mat.

****( )

The artwork on this is amazing and it goes perfectly with the Dockside Tavern but the map packs seem to work best with small scenes like the campsites or dungeon rooms. This would have been absolutely amazing on the backside of the tavern map, making it a must buy 2 parter. As it is it is quite good for small dockside scenes and I use it for ship encounters or dock encounters.

As it is it's incredibly useful but it would be 5 stars if it were a flip mat, it would be six stars if it were the reverse side of the tavern map (I would buy 2 so I could combine them).


More than its Sum

*****

Ok, this particular Map Pack blew me away. I guess you could say that my expectations were pretty high. And when I finally put it together, I was a little upset to see that this could have been a flipmat instead. It takes all the cards to make the picture you see above. It is exactly a flipmat size. It is beautiful to behold.

It was only when you look at it closely that you realize the genius part of this map. The design of the map is cut perfectly so you can take as much of these docks as you want, or as little. The cuts run along the water edges, not down the center of the docks or something absurd.

This allows everyone to mish mash the product just the way you want it. It is somewhat interchangeable, and that adds real value to this product.

I highly recommend it. Very highly. If you take the boat flipmat with this product, you really can go wild.

Zuxius


The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

This should be good. Makes me want a blank water flip mat to go with this set.

Cheers,
Zux


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Zuxius wrote:
This should be good. Makes me want a blank water flip mat to go with this set.

How about this one

Liberty's Edge

SWEET!!! I actually suggested a Waterfront flip-mat awhile ago, but I should be able to combine this map pack with the backside of the Ship flip-mat to create a whole lot of dockside mayhem.

Which is one of my absolute favorite forms of mayhem.


Yay! That would be great for Cyanea, my Water-World

Paizo Employee CEO

The Map Pack Waterfront is in the warehouse and ready to ship for anybody interested!

-Lisa

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Lisa Stevens wrote:

The Map Pack Waterfront is in the warehouse and ready to ship for anybody interested!

-Lisa

Any chance of seeing a sample of this in the store blog? I feel like it's been a while since the Map Packs were featured as such and I know I'd be more likely to consider the later ones if I could see one or two of the setups like you used to do.


yoda8myhead wrote:


Any chance of seeing a sample of this in the store blog?

I'd love to see a sample screen shot of the boats, I'm getting ready to run some upcoming sand-ship action (Open Design's The Sand Pirates) and I'm hoping this map-pack will fit the bill.

It's even sitting in my shopping cart right now...


This reminds me of the Barge End Chase in The Mad God's Key (Dungeon Issue #114).

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Ian Hewitt wrote:
yoda8myhead wrote:


Any chance of seeing a sample of this in the store blog?

I'd love to see a sample screen shot of the boats, I'm getting ready to run some upcoming sand-ship action (Open Design's The Sand Pirates) and I'm hoping this map-pack will fit the bill.

It's even sitting in my shopping cart right now...

The picture shown above is the whole set laid out together. But it's done so that you can just show shore, or a really long pier, or however you want to arrange them.

I especially like the sunken boat that's dimly visible through the water :)

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I haven't been this happy with a MapPack since Tournament. Caverns was pretty good too. This however. This! ROCKS!


Does anyone actively use/build encounters round these Map Packs? I'm curious as I've considered buying some, but just wonder how much use I'd get from them...

I know I could get off my hairy arse and actually build encounters etc to suit, but I'm a "try before I buy" kinda dude and just wondered how useful the Map Packs are?

Cheers

BD

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Black Dow wrote:

Does anyone actively use/build encounters round these Map Packs? I'm curious as I've considered buying some, but just wonder how much use I'd get from them...

I know I could get off my hairy arse and actually build encounters etc to suit, but I'm a "try before I buy" kinda dude and just wondered how useful the Map Packs are?

Cheers

BD

I've found these very useful for the "you're walking from point A to B" type of encounter that happens in modules and the APs. Need a dirty alley? Got it! Need that shabby pier? Got it! :) Going into the graveyard to investigate a crypt! Got it! Saves me mapping time, and gives instant feeling of the area the players find themselves in.

I used Graveyard and City in Crimson Throne for several random street encounters in Edge of Anarchy, and definitely will be pulling out more for Seven Days; my husband used Countryside in Rise of the Runelords-Burnt Offerings and is eagerly awaiting the Farmstead set for Skinsaw Murders; and we purchased this set specifically for our friend who is GMing us through Second Darkness :)

We've 12 sets so far, one on preorder, and are looking at what next to get -- we love 'em!


Gamer Girrl wrote:


I've found these very useful for the "you're walking from point A to B" type of encounter that happens in modules and the APs. Need a dirty alley? Got it! Need that shabby pier? Got it! :) Going into the graveyard to investigate a crypt! Got it! Saves me mapping time, and gives instant feeling of the area the players find themselves in.

I used Graveyard and City in Crimson Throne for several random street encounters in Edge of Anarchy, and definitely will be pulling out more for Seven Days; my husband used Countryside in Rise of the Runelords-Burnt Offerings and is eagerly awaiting the Farmstead set for Skinsaw Murders; and we purchased this set specifically for our friend who is GMing us through Second Darkness :)

We've 12 sets so far, one on preorder, and are looking at what next to get -- we love 'em!

Thanks for that - may well splash the coin for some of the packs...

I'm currently [fruitlessly converting old TSR modules "The Sentinel" & "The Gauntlet" over to Pathfinder - so village/farmstead/ruins might well come in handy.

Cheers


Hi. I finally got an account so I can chime in and say that I'm happy that everyone is very positive about the map illustrations. It's always fun work.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wow, the man himself. I wrote this thread just for you!


This was one of my favorites to make. The creepy mutant fish on the dock is one of my favorite details to add to a map-pack, yet. It has some great scale texture...plus, it's a huge catch. The Waterfront tavern is going to be a great companion to this...even more little details. ©

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Gailbraithe wrote:

SWEET!!! I actually suggested a Waterfront flip-mat awhile ago, but I should be able to combine this map pack with the backside of the Ship flip-mat to create a whole lot of dockside mayhem.

Which is one of my absolute favorite forms of mayhem.

We designed it to combine with Flip-Mat: Waterfront Tavern in a number of different ways!

Sovereign Court

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Cards, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
We designed it to combine with Flip-Mat: Waterfront Tavern in a number of different ways!

That is REALLY cool. I'd love lots of way to combine Map Packs and Flip Mays to make really big scenes. I haven't looked too closely but my recollection is that the various urban Map Packs thus far have different colors and textures, which is fine, but makes it a little hard to combine them (for perfectionists, that is).

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mosaic wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
We designed it to combine with Flip-Mat: Waterfront Tavern in a number of different ways!
That is REALLY cool. I'd love lots of way to combine Map Packs and Flip Mays to make really big scenes. I haven't looked too closely but my recollection is that the various urban Map Packs thus far have different colors and textures, which is fine, but makes it a little hard to combine them (for perfectionists, that is).

This is the first time we've tried this little experiment.


I'm really interested in this set. One question I have:
Are the small boats (and the bigger boat) on tiles seperate from the dock? I'm planning a swashbuckling, small boat leaping chase/hijacking scenario on a trade river and this looks like it may fit the bill.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

jimmifett wrote:

I'm really interested in this set. One question I have:

Are the small boats (and the bigger boat) on tiles seperate from the dock? I'm planning a swashbuckling, small boat leaping chase/hijacking scenario on a trade river and this looks like it may fit the bill.

Yes—each boat and each pier can be separated out (or rearranged).

The tiles in the picture above are 5 squares wide and 8 squares tall, arranged in a grid 3 tiles high and 6 tiles wide. Thus, count across every 5 squares and down every 8 squares to see where the breaks are.

Scarab Sages

I bought a second copy of this map pack, and also the pdf. I was considering converting the pdf to Jpeg and having it printed as a poster (mostly to eliminate the cut lines and have it in one piece).
I noticed, however, that the file with the "combined map" looks to be in much lower resolution than the individual pieces. Is this the case or are my eyes playing tricks on me? And if it is the case, why?

Paizo Employee Web Product Manager

D.M.T. wrote:

I bought a second copy of this map pack, and also the pdf. I was considering converting the pdf to Jpeg and having it printed as a poster (mostly to eliminate the cut lines and have it in one piece).

I noticed, however, that the file with the "combined map" looks to be in much lower resolution than the individual pieces. Is this the case or are my eyes playing tricks on me? And if it is the case, why?

It does look like there's something wonky going on with that file. I'll take a look at our source files and see if I can get it updated. Once it is, there will be an email sent to you automatically to let you know it's been fixed.

Scarab Sages

thanks, that would be awesome!

Scarab Sages

any word on this?

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / GameMastery Map Pack: Waterfront All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.