Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 3 (OGL)

4.90/5 (based on 15 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 3 (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Hardcover Unavailable

Add PDF $19.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Test your courage against the most infamous foes of myth and legend! Bestiary 3 presents hundreds of monsters for use in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Within this book you’ll find demiliches and demodands, grave knights and goblin snakes, norns and nephilim, imperial dragons and unfettered eidolons, and so much more! Yet not every creature needs to be an enemy, as winged garudas, crafty tanukis, and leonine lammasus all wait to join your party and answer the call of glory.

The Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 3 is the third indispensable volume of monsters for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and serves as a companion to the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook and Pathfinder RPG Bestiary. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 10 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time bestselling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

The Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 3 includes:

  • More than 300 different monsters
  • Classic terrors from myth and literature, from the frumious bandersnatch and the righteous valkyrie to the cunning dybbuk and elusive kappa
  • Hordes of new creatures you can construct, grow, or summon to aid your party in its adventures
  • New player-friendly races to let you adventure as canny ratfolk, genie-blooded sulis, and more
  • New familiars, animal companions, and other allies
  • Challenges for any adventure and every level of play
  • Some of the strangest and most beloved creatures from fantasy roleplaying history and the Pathfinder campaign setting
  • Hosts of new templates and variants
  • Appendices to aid in monster navigation, including lists by Challenge Rating, monster type, and habitat
  • Expanded universal monster rules to simplify special attacks, defenses, and qualities
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-378-1

Errata
Last Updated - 11/10/2014

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Unavailable

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1120


See Also:

11 to 15 of 15 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.90/5 (based on 15 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

What's not to love

5/5

Bone Golem, Catfolk, Demi-Lich...everything that I was wanting to add to my game. Great job again guys.


Beastiary 3 is Exotic and Fun

5/5

I love Monster books and I love that Paizo loves them as well and it shows. This is the third one for them and not surprising it stands up to the others. This book has much to offer such as new playable races, familiars, animal companions, and plethera of creatures new and old, familiar and exotic. Lets start with the playanle races such as Catfolk(love that picture), Suli(genie blooded), Vanra(monkey race), Ratfolk(finally), and the Vishkanya(poisonous exotic humaniods). We get several new familiars like the Harbinger archon and new animal companions such as the Kangaroo. There are also many monsters from varius cultures like the Kirin, Akhlut, Ahuizotl, Norns, Valkyries, Hekatonkheires, Tanuki, Gorynych, Simurgh, and many more such diverse creatures. There are many new or expanted types of evil outsiders like Oni, Azura, Divs, Rakshasas, Demodands, and Kytons. New types of dragons such the asian Imperial dragons and more Linorms, Drakes, and few surprises such as the Faerie dragon. There are new Fey such as the Atomie, Bogeyman, Nixie, Rusalka and a fey creature template. Monsters from classic liturature such as the Bandersnatch and Jubjub bird are welcomed surprises as well. I could praise this book all day but I will focus on my nitpicks and issues to round out my review. My biggest disapointment with the book was the Sprite, no fey, especially one of my favorites, should be weaker(CR1/3) and dumber (Int6)then a Mite. Also the Atomie, Gourd Leshy, Leaf Leshy(also the soulbound doll but that is a Beastairy2 issue) would have made good familiars and the Porcupine and skunk(regular and giant) would have been good animal companions. Most my other problins are just some artist issues like the face design for the Atomie so no big deal. In closing, Paizo has once again, given us a good Beastairy and I hope many more to come.


OMG B3 IS FANTASTIC

5/5

Imaginative, colorful, and immediately useful, this exempliary tome provides GMs with new inspiration for both new and old monsters. Key features that impressed me were the immediate usability of the tome, appropriate challenge rating assortment, the reviving and rejuvenating of old mythical and historical game beasts, as well we their incredible art and well designed descriptions and stats. This is a MUST HAVE in your Pathfinder games, but anyone leafing through the book will find it compelling and desirable. Ideas for whole adventures can be derived from just casual glances at individual creatues, and all of them combined make for a high quality monsterbook that GMs and players will enjoy. Outstanding work, once again, PAIZO!


My Big Fat Polish Review of Bestiary 3

5/5

If there is the one type of RPG book that nobody ever has enough of, it's monster books ! Bestiary 3 for Pathfinder is here. Does it follow the tradition of great quality found in the previous two monster books? Is Paizo running out of steam in monster development? Is this the Wuxia Anime book of no use for a conservative SCA aficionado? Are demodands in? Skunks? Flumphs? Do Tanookis have giant scrotums? Find out!

===PRESENTATION===

A solid sewn hardcover book with over 320 pages in full color. While extremely pretty and of the usual Paizo art quality, I am somewhat torn as to a few pieces of artwork. Then again, it has more Eric Belisle and Carolina Eade than any other Paizo book, so I guess it's fine. There are several navigational aids, including indexes and CR tables. The book is a pleasure to look at and use.

===CONTENT===

OK, so we've had the mandatory Bestiary 1 which was a no-brainer. Then came Bestiary 2 which mixed "must have" monsters left after B1 with both new arrivals and plugging of several conceptual holes (Plants and Fey come to mind). So what's in for Bestiary 3?

First thing off - is this the Asian monster book? No, I'd say. There are several monsters that hail from Far East, but by no way do they overwhelm the book.

But, once could say, it's the Mythology & Nostalgia Monster Book. Mythological beasts from all walks of known folklore appear on the pages of B3. Germanic, Slavic, North American, South American, Philippine, Arabian, Persian, Chinese, African, Inuit... Legends of all these areas contribute their monsters and strange denizens.

Nostalgia means the triumphant return of Misfit Monsters: Flumph, Tojanida, Wolf-in-Sheep Clothing, all of them fresh after treatment they got in Misfit Monsters Redeemed. On a slightly less goofy note, classics such as Pseudodragon, Caryatid Column and Axebeak are back here as well. Demodands drop in to a long awaited "hi" and round out the classic evil outsider troupe.
And there's the Demilich, and boy does it live up to it's legendary TPK generator status.

More and more monsters from Paizo Adventure Paths appear for their update to the current ruleset. In particular, monsters from Legacy of Fire and Serpent's Skull APs appear in strong numbers.

Finally, more filling of niches yet unexplored. Catfolk and Suli (geniekin) races that are PC-ready. Clockwork constructs (robots, yay!), even more plants and fey to make up for their short numbers, funky new oozes (oozi?) such as Plasma Ooze.

Of course, there are "normal" animals and insects, and more dinosaurs than you can handle - James Jacobs, I see what you did there.

Taking up where Bestiary 2 left, there are quite a lot of high CR monsters, going up to CR 24.

The monsters are consistently presented in 1 page = 1 monster format, making the book far easier to use than the 3.5 MM. The universal monster rules system is here as well, with all the common special rules placed in one chapter.

===CONCLUSION===

So, to answer the questions stated above - yes, it follows the quality standard of B1 and B2, no, Paizo doesn't seems to be running out of ideas (this book contains very few "funky monsters made up from the scratch so that we can copyright them and never worry about somebody using them in their RPG which will overtake our products in sales someday"), no, it's not a Wuxia Bestiary (but it's does feel rather exotic if your entire knowledge of human mythology is limited to Western Europe), demodands, flumphs and skunks (both vanilla and giant variety) are in and OMG Tanookis don't have giant scrotum curse you puritan bible belt American rednecks.

Love the book, please make more :)


My little review

5/5

I've been busy as hell with work, but I managed to flip through this finally.

My opinion:

Well the hell better than the Bestiary 2!

Opinion about Bestiary 2:

Given that the Bestiary 2 was actually pretty good, that's a huge accomplishment.

I feel this book is an excellent mix of fun and exciting.


11 to 15 of 15 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
101 to 150 of 1,123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

Nemo235 wrote:

Could we see the Lovecraft monsters from Wake of the Watcher?

That would seal the deal for me.

There will be some Lovecraft monsters in Bestiary 3, but not any from Wake of the Watcher. As with the monsters from Serpent's Skull, that book's still too soon to reprint any monsters from there in a hardcover Bestairy.

I believe there are 4 actual Lovecraft monsters in Bestiary 3, but I'm not 100% sure. And no, I'm not gonna list them. Maybe in a few months. MAYBE.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

jreyst wrote:

As a short, somewhat cynical, sidenote, I recommend that people take the list of what is going to be in the book with a grain of salt, based on recent experience. It seems that a list stating what is going to be in the book is more meant to be a list of "here's what we think is going to be in the book, some of it will be, some most likely won't, and some will be partly in and partly out, depending on how our editing goes."

Just sayin.

Nope. We finalized the list of monsters in the book several months ago. Design finished on most of them a month ago. They're deep into development already. Art has been ordered a few months ago. We've seen sketches for a lot of them already. Editing won't really impact at all, since we order monsters by the page, and we know how many pages the book is. Between Bestiary 1 and 2, I'm pretty sure that there's only 1 monster that got cut from a book at the last minute, and that was the vampiric mist from the first book.

We're pretty much 100% solid about the book's contents, and that list is equally accurate (it's just FAR from being a COMPLETE list).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Robert Little wrote:
jreyst wrote:

As a short, somewhat cynical, sidenote, I recommend that people take the list of what is going to be in the book with a grain of salt, based on recent experience. It seems that a list stating what is going to be in the book is more meant to be a list of "here's what we think is going to be in the book, some of it will be, some most likely won't, and some will be partly in and partly out, depending on how our editing goes."

Just sayin.

Yeah, I seem to remember being promised a bunch of new templates in Bestiary 2 and being supremely underwhelmed.

I'd certainly like to see a source cited there about promising templates.

Because template bloat is not really part of the Pathfinder monster design philosophy.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steelfiredragon wrote:

I refuse to buy this if it has anything ressembling Cthulu or his minions in it.

I dislike lovecraft's work

nothing wrong with horror mind you....

Well, I guess you just saved yourself 40 bucks! Huzzah!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Enpeze wrote:

"...Expanded universal monster rules to simplify special attacks, defenses, and qualities..."

Is this in order to support new simpler monster formats like those delivered in the game master book of the basic box?

Nope.

It just means "we used Universal Monster Rules in Bestiary 1 and 2, and expanded them slightly in Bestiary 2, and so we'll be doing the same in Bestiary 3—slightly expanding if necessary but still using the same Universal Monster Rule list."

This book will provide monsters for use in the Pathfinder Core Rulebook game, not the Beginner Box game.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

gbonehead wrote:
Bestiary 3 wrote:
Within this collection of creatures you’ll find grave knights and savage cyclopes, kappa and colossal kaiju ...

The down side of them having kaiju in here is that they don't have rules for creatures larger than Colossal, and the fact that they specifically are stating "colossal kaiju" probably means that this is probably similar a redo of the old 3.5e Titanic template.

I say this because I find it unlikely that they'll do a stealth add of rules for creatures larger than Colossal in Bestiary 3.

Unless, of course, they're in Ultimate Combat and they just haven't told us that tidbit yet.

While it's true that we can't really do something that's actually Godzilla sized, alas... we can still do things that are great red wyrm or tarrasque sized. And calling something like that a kaiju is perfectly acceptable.

And there actually WAS a kaiju template in 3.5—I wrote it for Dragon magazine. Good times.


But is the Kaiju in the Beastairy III a template?

Since the monsters from the bonus beastairy are in this book will they use the old artwork or new?

Inuit, Russian, Asian, Norwegion, Arabian sounds cool but what about South American, Australian, or Hawaian?


James Jacobs wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:

I refuse to buy this if it has anything ressembling Cthulu or his minions in it.

I dislike lovecraft's work

nothing wrong with horror mind you....

Well, I guess you just saved yourself 40 bucks! Huzzah!

well no

you peaked my intrest with the previous post of yours saying that alot of creatures from international myths...so now atleast I'll make a bigger point to look at it.
I STILL HATE Lovecraft's work.

my favorite creature of all time though is an aberration... the mimic...

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
As this is clearly the "Asian" Bestiary, I'm guessing imperial dragons are "Asian"/lung dragons.
It's actually the "International" bestiary. We'll have a lot of monsters from Inuit lore, Norwegian lore, Arabian lore, Asian lore, Russian lore, etc. (Not much from Africa, since we did a lot of that stuff in Serpent's Skull and that AP was too recent—its monsters missed the "cut off" for inclusion in this one, but if we do Bestiary 4 next year... there ya go.)

First: Thank you, James, for confirming "more oni". You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Second: Russian and Norwegian folklore!? Awesome! Kikimora and Vodyanoy, then? I'm having trouble thinking of a Norwegian critter you guys haven't done yet...

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Demiurge 1138 wrote:
Wow. That's... sooner than I was expecting. Good job keeping this under wraps until now. Or is development just going to be lightning-fast?

'twas indeed a secret well-kept until now :) Sometime it's really hard to keep a secret. But really worth it.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dragon78 wrote:

But is the Kaiju in the Beastairy III a template?

Since the monsters from the bonus beastairy are in this book will they use the old artwork or new?

Inuit, Russian, Asian, Norwegion, Arabian sounds cool but what about South American, Australian, or Hawaian?

Ask me again about the kaiju in Bestiary 3 being a template in about 3 months. :)

They'll use the old artwork if the old artwork is good. If the old artwork is not good, we'll get new artwork.

There's a few of those, yes.

Also? Deja vu.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steelfiredragon wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Well, I guess you just saved yourself 40 bucks! Huzzah!

well no

you peaked my intrest with the previous post of yours saying that alot of creatures from international myths...so now atleast I'll make a bigger point to look at it.
I STILL HATE Lovecraft's work.

my favorite creature of all time though is an aberration... the mimic...

Well... Lovecraft's my favorite author, so you'll likely never be fully able to escape his influence on anything Golarion related as long as I'm the Creative Director.

If you're still buying Golarion and Pathfinder stuff, I'll take that as a sign that I'm doing my job right by building products that, even if they contain some elements someone doesn't like or hates, are still vastly outweighed by the cool stuff.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Orannis wrote:
Second: Russian and Norwegian folklore!? Awesome! Kikimora and Vodyanoy, then? I'm having trouble thinking of a Norwegian critter you guys haven't done yet...

There are actually quite a lot of them.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
It's actually the "International" bestiary. We'll have a lot of monsters from Inuit lore, Norwegian lore, Arabian lore, Asian lore, Russian lore, etc.

Very nice!

I also approve of the Demodands finally appearing.

Anything else I can look forward to on the planar front?

Sovereign Court

Steelfiredragon wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:

I refuse to buy this if it has anything ressembling Cthulu or his minions in it.

I dislike lovecraft's work

nothing wrong with horror mind you....

Well, I guess you just saved yourself 40 bucks! Huzzah!

well no

you peaked my intrest with the previous post of yours saying that alot of creatures from international myths...so now atleast I'll make a bigger point to look at it.
I STILL HATE Lovecraft's work.

my favorite creature of all time though is an aberration... the mimic...

[pedant]You piqued my interest./pedant]

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Lord Gadigan wrote:
Anything else I can look forward to on the planar front?

Would the answer "yes" just annoy you? :)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Any chance of telling us just how many Demodands are in there, James? :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Gorbacz wrote:
Any chance of telling us just how many Demodands are in there, James? :)

Not yet.

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
As this is clearly the "Asian" Bestiary, I'm guessing imperial dragons are "Asian"/lung dragons.
It's actually the "International" bestiary. We'll have a lot of monsters from Inuit lore, Norwegian lore, Arabian lore, Asian lore, Russian lore, etc. (Not much from Africa, since we did a lot of that stuff in Serpent's Skull and that AP was too recent—its monsters missed the "cut off" for inclusion in this one, but if we do Bestiary 4 next year... there ya go.)

I'm glad about this. I think giving a whole bestiary too restrictive of a theme would be very limiting, and reduce it's overall appeal.

James Jacobs wrote:

There will be some Lovecraft monsters in Bestiary 3, but not any from Wake of the Watcher. As with the monsters from Serpent's Skull, that book's still too soon to reprint any monsters from there in a hardcover Bestairy.

I believe there are 4 actual Lovecraft monsters in Bestiary 3, but I'm not 100% sure. And no, I'm not gonna list them. Maybe in a few months. MAYBE.

I would wager I can guess one of them, since I seem to remember you mentioning one that got cut from WotW. Perhaps the flying polyps?

Sovereign Court

Hmmmm, for now, i LOVE it, as usual, you never cease to get me to spend money on your products, which is a good thing. I love having hardcover books on my shelves anyway.

I presume clockwork killers are technically refluffed clockwork horrors from MM2? If that is the case, Nice! I loved those guys and used them in several successful campaigns.

What i would like to know is if there is going to be something like automatons from MM2. I liked the concept of those things, and made several more.

Also, any chance of ibixians being there somewhere?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Hama wrote:


Also, any chance of ibixians being there somewhere?

WotC IP, I think.


It's June and this comes out when? October? Great Gods of Gaming! Wait for the freaking announcements! Anybody who has been on these boards with any frequency knows that they'll be giving us plenty of teases in the coming months about what is going to be in the book. I know a lot of you have the patience of gnats, not to mention the attention span, but that's a whole nother matter... In any case we have some teases already, I'm just glad right now that this isn't a place holder illustration. It's killing me with anticipation but you know what? I'm going to wait and see what gets in for the full list. And Mr. Jacobs, if you can do so legally, you can always update the template you already created way back when. It was a good template, and an awesome article in Dragon, back when it was still a real magazine...

Sovereign Court

Gorbacz wrote:
Hama wrote:


Also, any chance of ibixians being there somewhere?
WotC IP, I think.

I know, it's in MM 4 i think. But, take the stats and the special abilities and call it differently and change the fluff and voila.

I presume that is what Paizo is going to do with clockwork killers.

Scarab Sages

Will we see a bonus bestiary? If so, will the Aberzombie template be in it?

Spoiler:
And if Liz Courts comes to you with that suggestion as well, it was totally her idea. Seriously! Do I look like someone who'd lie to you?

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Just saw this. And I need to say something.

When I was a GM running 3rd edition, I never owned more than the core Monster Manual. Seriously. Occasionally I might borrow other MMs to use a creature here and there, but I often felt very ambivalent about the overall quality, with some things I wasn't really interested in and other stuff I was frustrated with, design wise. When I would hear a new one was coming out, my immediate response was, "Meh."

NOW, I own the Bestiary and Bestiary 2. And based on my experience with those books, my initial response to seeing this thread was, "OOOOOH BESTIARY THREE!!!!! YAY!!!" And I'm not even running a game right now.

Well done, Paizo. I am a cynical and selective buyer and don't like a lot of splats, and you've gotten me excited about a kind of thing I never thought I would be.


Narwals? They would counter any issues of overdoing cthulhu lovecraft monsters. :D


James Jacobs wrote:
Orannis wrote:
Second: Russian and Norwegian folklore!? Awesome! Kikimora and Vodyanoy, then? I'm having trouble thinking of a Norwegian critter you guys haven't done yet...
There are actually quite a lot of them.

Any chance of seeing the Raven (note, that 'a' should have an umlaut), the Norwegian Foxwoman? I remember a band called Hedningarma made a song about one that was both very well done and downright spooky.


Dorje Sylas wrote:
Narwals? They would counter any issues of overdoing cthulhu lovecraft monsters. :D

My.. sanity..

Gone.

Sovereign Court

Kaiyanwang wrote:
Dorje Sylas wrote:
Narwals? They would counter any issues of overdoing cthulhu lovecraft monsters. :D

My.. sanity..

Gone.

You have not seen this before?


Hama wrote:
Kaiyanwang wrote:
Dorje Sylas wrote:
Narwals? They would counter any issues of overdoing cthulhu lovecraft monsters. :D

My.. sanity..

Gone.

You have not seen this before?

No.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:

ProfPotts wrote:

Could we possibly hope for expanded Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally lists in this one? Or, at least, some rules / guidelines for creating custom lists?

Nope. That's not a direction we wish to go with Pathfinder's summon monster spells.

What you'll be seeing instead are NEW spells that allow for more specialized summons.

We're not interested in bloating the summon monster spell lists and creating option paralysis in play with constantly evolving and changing summon monster lists.

Thanks for unleashing the Flurry of Answers!

Here's hoping the new summon spells are called out as backwards-compatable with the various Druid archetypes' Totemic Summons class features, if and where appropriate (since, for example, there's only one specific 'lizard' on the entire SNA lists for the Dragon Shaman, and only one shark - and no rays at all - for the Shark Shaman).

Contributor

Kaiju also appeared in Wayfinder #2. :)


New familairs- Hopeful an Archon one maybe some more Fey and Tiny size dragons..well never mind they will have the Faerie dragon

New animal companions... Narwals?

Other allies- Summoned monsters, Cohorts, other


Hopefully it has New templates and other creature modifing goodies

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Robert Little wrote:

Yeah, I seem to remember being promised a bunch of new templates in Bestiary 2 and being supremely underwhelmed.

I'd certainly like to see a source cited there about promising templates.

Because template bloat is not really part of the Pathfinder monster design philosophy.

"Hosts of new templates and variants, including simple templates for on-the-fly creature customization" from the Bestiary 2 product page.

Total number of new templates (compared to Bestiary): 6. 4 full templates and 2 simple templates.

Not exactly what comes to mind when I see the word "hosts". And for Bestiary 3 the copy says "hordes". If hordes turns out to be 7, someone needs to get a better thesaurus.

(That said, I'm fine with not going for template bloat. However, given the amount of times I've seen templates from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary show up in Pathfinder, I was expecting more love than we got.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Eric Hinkle wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Orannis wrote:
Second: Russian and Norwegian folklore!? Awesome! Kikimora and Vodyanoy, then? I'm having trouble thinking of a Norwegian critter you guys haven't done yet...
There are actually quite a lot of them.
Any chance of seeing the Räven, the Norwegian Foxwoman? I remember a band called Hedningarma made a song about one that was both very well done and downright spooky.

You mean this one?

(And on a nit-picking note, Räven just means "the Fox" [tagging "-en, -n, -et, or -t" at the end is our version of "the"], so no need for the the) ;)


Quote:
Kaiju!? I love you folks. Seriously, infinite high-fives.

Berselius knew this roleplaying company well.

He need only wait.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.


Quote:
Swan familiars/animal companions and Swanmays!

Let's not forget the Swanmays tropical version (aka the Bird Maiden). ^_^

Quote:
And there actually WAS a kaiju template in 3.5—I wrote it for Dragon magazine. Good times.

Good times indeed but making Gojira simply by slapping a template on a stat block seems kinda like a disservice to the big G ya knows? It might be just me but I think the king of monsters kinda deserves his own rightful and unique stats.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

Robert Little wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Robert Little wrote:

Yeah, I seem to remember being promised a bunch of new templates in Bestiary 2 and being supremely underwhelmed.

I'd certainly like to see a source cited there about promising templates.

Because template bloat is not really part of the Pathfinder monster design philosophy.

"Hosts of new templates and variants, including simple templates for on-the-fly creature customization" from the Bestiary 2 product page.

Total number of new templates (compared to Bestiary): 6. 4 full templates and 2 simple templates.

Not exactly what comes to mind when I see the word "hosts". And for Bestiary 3 the copy says "hordes". If hordes turns out to be 7, someone needs to get a better thesaurus.

(That said, I'm fine with not going for template bloat. However, given the amount of times I've seen templates from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary show up in Pathfinder, I was expecting more love than we got.)

While I don't intend to get into a debate on the precise quantitative value of "hosts", it does say and variants.. So it's not just counting the 6 templates in the book.

(And I love templates - I am looking forward to the uber-Tome of Horrors that's coming out, and I'd love for Green Ronin to update the Advanced Bestiary.)

Dark Archive

Russ Taylor wrote:
Would the answer "yes" just annoy you? :)

Hahaha, it's certainly better than "no". I suppose I'll have to just wait for later previews and look forward to the book's release.

Grand Lodge

One word.... Ubue!

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:
If you're still buying Golarion and Pathfinder stuff, I'll take that as a sign that I'm doing my job right by building products that, even if they contain some elements someone doesn't like or hates, are still vastly outweighed by the cool stuff.

This.

I've always been... uncomfortable with Lovecraftian stuff, but I've been finding I actually like the way it's been integrated into Golarion. (I've actually scared myself a bit when I realized that. 8^)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

So, is there a chance we'll see the Div from the Legacy of Fire AP show up in the pages of this beauty?


Berselius wrote:


He need only wait.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.

Oh No, it's God*illa, Run.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

Azure_Zero wrote:
Berselius wrote:


He need only wait.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.

The black scaled, colossal, regenerating, radioactive-fire breathing, killing machine will come.

Oh No, it's God*illa, Run.

Godpilla? Godfilla? Godoilla? Give me a hint, here ...


I am especially excited about more monsters from real-world myth , Inuit in particular. I'm working on a Fringe Buffy the Supernatural Highlander Brimstone Files game, and wanted some Inuit for the opening adventure.

I'll work on other details now, since it looks like the pros have my back!

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

Dungeon Grrrl wrote:

I am especially excited about more monsters from real-world myth , Inuit in particular. I'm working on a Fringe Buffy the Supernatural Highlander Brimstone Files game, and wanted some Inuit for the opening adventure.

I'll work on other details now, since it looks like the pros have my back!

I laughed and then realized it probably wasn't a joke :)

(taps the sarcasm-O-matic to see if it's working)

Liberty's Edge

Just one question - will the Bestiary 3 finally address, update, better explain, or fix the entire Grab/Constrict mess? I won't rehash the details here, as I'm sure everyone is aware of the hundreds of confused posts on the matter. Lots of critters Grab, and many of them also Constrict. These universal monster rules need an overhaul, or clear explanation of the rules...badly.

Sovereign Court

Red Wullf wrote:
Just one question - will the Bestiary 3 finally address, update, better explain, or fix the entire Grab/Constrict mess? I won't rehash the details here, as I'm sure everyone is aware of the hundreds of confused posts on the matter. Lots of critters Grab, and many of them also Constrict. These universal monster rules need an overhaul, or clear explanation of the rules...badly.

Dunno, always seemed perfectly clear to me. A creature with grab can start a grapple as a free action if it hits with the natural attack that has grab attached to it. It gains a +4 bonus to grapple checks and can choose to maintain grapple without it being grappled but with a -20 penalty to any grapple check.

Constrict just means that if the grappling creature chooses to do damage while grappling, it adds constrict damage to it's natural weapon damage. What's not to understand?


Kajehase wrote:
Eric Hinkle wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Orannis wrote:
Second: Russian and Norwegian folklore!? Awesome! Kikimora and Vodyanoy, then? I'm having trouble thinking of a Norwegian critter you guys haven't done yet...
There are actually quite a lot of them.
Any chance of seeing the Räven, the Norwegian Foxwoman? I remember a band called Hedningarma made a song about one that was both very well done and downright spooky.

You mean this one?

(And on a nit-picking note, Räven just means "the Fox" [tagging "-en, -n, -et, or -t" at the end is our version of "the"], so no need for the the) ;)

Thanks for the link and the correction on how to use proper Norwegian.

101 to 150 of 1,123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary 3 (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.