Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Magic (PFRPG)

4.30/5 (based on 8 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Magic (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99

Add PDF $13.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

A World of Magic!

From the tortured sands of the Mana Wastes, where magic is as likely to tear you apart as it is to not work at all, to the perpetually frozen northern nation of Irrisen where the winter witches rule, magic is a part of life in the Inner Sea region. Whether it is wielded by benevolent clerics to keep their allies fighting the good fight or unleashed by wizards in the form of scorching blasts of fire, magic can be the difference between life or death. Or, as in so many cases, the cause of life or death.

    Inner Sea Magic explores the role of magic within this vast and varied region. Within this 64-page book, you will find:
  • A who’s-who of powerful and famous spellcasters from throughout the Inner Sea region
  • Details on four types of magical schools—arcane academies, spellcaster’s guilds, monasteries, and secret societies—along with rules for joining and studying with such organizations
  • Rules for several types of specialized or variant magic, including the chaotic power of primal magic, the secrets of shadowcasting, the traditions of Thassilonian sin magic, and the wonders of Varisian tattoo magic
  • Two new oracle mysteries (the primal-magic wielding spellscar mystery and the sinister Outer Rifts mystery)
  • More than a dozen new archetypes for all sorts of spellcasters, including the black-blooded oracle, the Razmiran priest, the shadowcaster wizard, the tattooed sorcerer, and the winter witch
  • Two new prestige classes—the cyphermage and the divine scion
  • Dozens of new spells, from Aroden’s spellward to zone of foul flames!

Inner Sea Magic is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be used in any fantasy game setting.

by Jesse Benner, Jason Nelson, Sean K Reynolds, Owen K.C. Stephens, and Russ Taylor

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-360-6

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9237


See Also:

6 to 8 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.30/5 (based on 8 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Awesome flavour, interestig mechanics

5/5

I would say that is hard to have problems with the flavour of Paizo books and this one is very pleasant to read and useful in its informations about the game world.

I will follow Purplefixer example and do a section by section comment.

1: Magic of the Inner Sea: background material. A descriptive essay on some of the different styles of magic use in Golarion. Good section. 5/5

2. Variant magic:
False divine magic - Awesome. Great RP wise and for NPC, interesting for PC.
Fleshwarping - Good. Not my kind of stuff, but still good for NPC and PC alike.
Primal magic - Good. Not something that you should encounter every other day, but great to flesh out some adventure and character.
Riffle scroll - Nice. Underpowered for most PC, but very colourful. And a way to apply the silent metamagic feat to scrolls.
Shadowcasting - not the set of feats for you if you taking a feat that isn't the strongest in a book pain you, but more than decent for game use and very flavourful.
Tatto magic: Inscribe magical tatto - a feat that give you 11 item slots ..... Sure the exemplified tattos aren't the end of the world but it is a good item construction feat. And one I would allow people to use with the Master Artisan feat.
Thassilonian magic: A "second level" of specialization were you renounce to all uses of two specific schools of magic in exchange to the possibility to memorize twice the same spell in your specialization spell slot. More a NPC thing than a PC thing (especially as you need to make the choice at level 1, so you can't "learn" Thassilonian magic with an existing character and rarely a new character would have the chance to know it), but interesting nonetheless.
Overall 4/5

3: Magic schools: I have some doubt on one of the Guild benefits (probably a piece of text that should have been cut away slipped in) but nice. Usable factions rules and a good way to tie in characters with the game world. 4/5

4: Spellcasters of the Inner Sea: I disagree with Purplefixer. He examine the archetypes and prestige classes simply as power options for PC and so he dismiss them if they aren't more powerful than other options. I am more interested in the RP aspect of the classes and how they will interact with the world of Golarion.
So:
- 2 new Oracle mysteries. Mostly geared for NPC, very flavourful.
- 19 archetypes. Most of them interesting and useful.
I will examine in particular the Tattoed Sorcerer archetype: a) it is a sorcerer archetype. You must compare what it do with other sorcerer options. b) familiar tatto: you get a familiar with a small added bonus as your first level ability. Slightly better than taking the arcane bloodline familiar. Varisian tatto. It substitute your eschew material feat with the capacity to cast spells in 1 school of magic at +1 CL. Neat. Bloodline tattoo. No cost for this ability and your bloodline spells are cast a +1 CL. Neat again. Create spell tatto. The level 7 bloodline feat is replaced with the ability to create 1 tatto that work like a automatically silent scroll at no cost. He can't have more than one "scroll" in existence at the same time. YMMV but it is power is on par with several feats. Enhanced Varisian tatto. One of the spells that is enhanced by your varisian tatto become usable once/day as a spell like ability. that replace your level 9 bloodline power. At a later level you can change the selected spell. For me having one specific spell of up to level 9 as a spell like ability hardly seem a weak ability.
Cypermage: essentially a "master of scrolls" prestige class. I see plenty of way to use his powers.
Divine scion: my less preferred option in this section of the book. probably powerful but not my stuff.
4/5

5: Spells: 39 spells. Some of them are earth shattering but none seem grossly unbalanced and generally they do very well their role of being setting specific spells. 5/5

General art and layout: excellent. 5/5

General vote 4.5/5, as there isn't the option for 4.5 stars, 5 stars.


Mechanically Uninteresting, Flavorfully Awesome

4/5

Much like the inner sea world guide, Paizo has delivered us some fantastic insights to the world of Golarion, and some incontrovertible proof as to why the bad guys never, ever win.

Red Mantis Assassins and Shadowcasters seem to have something in common after all... they both have THE WORST POSSIBLE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO MAN! Let me break the book down for you section by section...

1: Magic of the Inner Sea: This section contains some wonderful descriptive text about the areas of the inner sea, how magic is used in each of them, and what magical features would attract anyone's attention. It also has level and alignment breakdowns for 50 of the worlds most famous spellcasters, including Razmir, Nex, the Runelords, and Baba Yaga. Good section. 5/5

2. Variant Magic: All about what magic is, False Divine Magic, Fleshwarping, Primal Magic, Riffle Scrolls, Shadow Casting, Tattoo Magic, and Thassilonian Sin Magic Specialization.

The first four sections are wonderful, flavorful, mechanically interesting, and I would certainly include them in my game. Then we come to the pile of mechanical trash that explains why the minions of Zon Kuthon can't magic their way out of a paper bag, and why they mostly wiggle their fingers ineffectually and fail to get anything done.
Shadow magic consists of four feats and an archetype which allows the casting of 'shadow magic'. The first feat allows an illusion to be ended prematurely to do poor damage. The second is a metamagic feat that requires the other two metamagic feats in this chapter, and entangles creatures with spells of the darkness descriptor for one level. The third is the base metamagic feat for the set, which gives a +1 save dc in the dark, but necessitates a concentration check to cast in the light for one spell level. The last feat is the middle metamagic which makes a spell into a darkness spell, causing any creature to shed 10' of darkness in the spells effect as long as it is an ongoing effect... for two spell levels. And it's generally pointless.

Tattoo Magic has a LOT of stuff which does NOTHING. For a new feat, you can add magical tatoos which... do... pretty much nothing at all. A one per day use no-slot metamagic still/silent rod, a resevoir tatoo which, as far as I can tell, ACTUALLY DOES NOTHING AT ALL, and a spell tatoo, which is an incredibly painful and expensive way of scribing a scroll for no benefit other than having a scroll at 4x the normal cost look pretty on your skin. To compound this, they add the Tattooed Sorcerer archetype, of which Seoni is apparently a member, which does... basically nothing. You have a familiar who turns into a tattoo, and can add 1 caster level to a scribed spell tattoo? Which as we already noted, could have been done at HALF that cost without the feat by buying a scroll from someone else.

Thassilonian Magic specialization takes your choices away from which spell schools are your opposition, and basically moves back to 3.5 specialization, where you cannot so much as spell-complete magic items from those schools, but you get two of the same spell in that specialty slot, rather than one spell for your specialty school. Neatish. Some people might actually try that.

All in all? 2.5/5

3: Magic Schools: Watered down factions, but otherwise very neat flavor and mechanics for membership in schools. Just make sure your GM uses the auto-level rule from the sidebar, or you waste your time and money trying to graduate during downtime while you out-level the school in a scant few weeks of adventuring.
4/5

4: Spellcasters of the Inner Sea: Some helpful examinations and explorations of where the APG and UM archetypes are common, and a double-handful of new archetypes, some of which are neat, some of which are trash. This is arguably the most important part of the book, where all the player customization comes into play, and half of it is useable only for die-hard flavor enthusiasts, in much the same way as the Vow of Poverty Monk. I can say this for certain: "I'm looking forward to trashing an enemy Shadowcaster and mocking his choice of archetype in play..."

There's also the Cyphermage, which is completely pointless, with worthless special mechanics which will virtually never be useful between levels 6 and 12, and the Divine Scion, who is a worth-while prestige class trading domain abilities or paladin advancement for diety favored weapon specialization, dire opposition against a single alignment component (EVIL IS BAD! or END ALL CHAOS!) and auto-self-healing and skill buffs for domain-appropriate skills.

This section has good with the bad, for 3/5.

5: Spells: 39 spells over 12 pages, ranging from good to bad, depending on how creative you are in using them. Some gems include a mortal kombat-esque bladed dash, a concentration-duration wall that explodes when destroyed, the ability to transform into a genie, an annoying defensive/debuffing enchantment spell to use on your threatening enemies, some undead summoning, and the ability to melt your wand into the weapon you're wielding! Magus are going to have a field day with that last one... 4/5

The art and layout are Pathfinder standard, which is to say: Excellent. A few editing mistakes, but nothing they can't clear up on a second run through, and really minor stuff unless they got some mechanical words wrong. 5/5

Grand Total: 3.9/5


one of my favorite paizo releases so far

5/5

awesome flavor, love the mechanics. One of the best setting books I have come across.


6 to 8 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 285 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

OK James, you win. I have bought the APG.

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:


The Advanced Player's Guide is increasingly becoming a core part of our products. While I understand the fact that not all folks own the APG, I do ask those folks to accept the fact that we built the APG, in large part, to address what we thought were "gaps" in the game. Cavaliers, witches, alchemists, inquisitors, and oracles all more or less had roles in the Inner Sea region even before the APG came out, and we chose those 5 as base classes to fill those roles. (The summoner's the only APG class that didn't really have a pre-existing role in the Inner Sea region).

Our hope is that by making the PDF of the Advanced Player's Guide only ten bucks, and by making the rules open so that they're free online at paizo.com/prd or at any one of a lot of other online fan-created sites, we get those rules out for folks who can't afford or don't own the APG in print form, so that if they see an element they're interested in showing up in another book, they can get to the rules anyway.

Importantly, by treating the APG as part of the core part of your products, you can incorporate it into your Adventure Paths so that the adventures you produce can become new, fresh and reasonably well balanced for those classes in the APG.

It's very clear that you are now doing this, too. The Carrion Crown AP is rife with such exmaples.

That's a big plus, in my books.

If it were otherwise, there would be an inevitable growing disconnect between the way many Pathfinder players are playing the game, and the default assumptions within Paizo's adventure products. If that were to happen? Things would become increasingly creaky and will ultimately break in terms of the adventure product's utility to all players and GMs. That's not a good thing.

All by way of saying: I am a BIG FAN of Paizo choosing to treat the APG as part of its core design and underlying default assumptions in the game and I believe it to be a decision which is in the long-term interest of all fans of the game.

Big Thumbs Up.

Liberty's Edge

This looks AWESOME.


James Jacobs wrote:
The Advanced Player's Guide is increasingly becoming a core part of our products. While I understand the fact that not all folks own the APG, I do ask those folks to accept the fact that we built the APG, in large part, to address what we thought were "gaps" in the game.

1. Oddly, I'm glad to see acknowledgment that the APG is essentially core rulebook #3. Certainly the monthly Adventure Path has been treating it as such for several months.

2. Given #1, Advanced Player's Guide seems like a sub-optimal name. ;)

3. Can we expect to see the APG added to the PFS core assumption?

As I've said in the past, I don't particularly care for APG being core, but I can live with it. Heck, I even saw the writing on the wall and picked up the APG in print.

However, I have one request: Please make the APG explicitly core -- the current "core in everything but name" situation is a bit confusing.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
bugleyman wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Advanced Player's Guide is increasingly becoming a core part of our products. While I understand the fact that not all folks own the APG, I do ask those folks to accept the fact that we built the APG, in large part, to address what we thought were "gaps" in the game.

1. Oddly, I'm glad to see acknowledgment that the APG is essentially core rulebook #3. Certainly the monthly Adventure Path has been treating it as such for several months.

2. Given #1, Advanced Player's Guide seems like a sub-optimal name. ;)

3. Can we expect to see the APG added to the PFS core assumption?

As I've said in the past, I don't particularly care for APG being core, but I can live with it. Heck, I even saw the writing on the wall and picked up the APG in print.

However, I have one request: Please make the APG explicitly core -- the current "core in everything but name" situation is a bit confusing.

*dons the asbestos suit, fires up the flamethrower* So, about that whole idea of "core"...

Dark Archive

Gorbacz wrote:


*dons the asbestos suit, fires up the flamethrower* So, about that whole idea of "core"...

core get errata, non-core doesn't seems like a good definition to me...


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
chopswil wrote:
core get errata, non-core doesn't seems like a good definition to me...

Reprinted books get errata, Adventure's Armory has some. Of course, anything in the hardcover line is much more likely to get reprinted if stocks are low. I would expect the new Inner Sea Guide to also be on their list of products they always want to have in stock.


To me, the most useful definition is: Material assumed by the flagship product (the monthly Adventure Path). Given the regular inclusion of APG content in Serpent's Skull, I think we're there already, so for clarity's sake it might as well be explicit.

Not fishing for a flame-war either way. :)


deinol wrote:
I would expect the new Inner Sea Guide to also be on their list of products they always want to have in stock.

Agreed. In fact, if I'm not mistaken they've said as much.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

bugleyman wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Advanced Player's Guide is increasingly becoming a core part of our products. While I understand the fact that not all folks own the APG, I do ask those folks to accept the fact that we built the APG, in large part, to address what we thought were "gaps" in the game.

1. Oddly, I'm glad to see acknowledgment that the APG is essentially core rulebook #3. Certainly the monthly Adventure Path has been treating it as such for several months.

2. Given #1, Advanced Player's Guide seems like a sub-optimal name. ;)

3. Can we expect to see the APG added to the PFS core assumption?

As I've said in the past, I don't particularly care for APG being core, but I can live with it. Heck, I even saw the writing on the wall and picked up the APG in print.

However, I have one request: Please make the APG explicitly core -- the current "core in everything but name" situation is a bit confusing.

When we were working under WotC with the license to do the magazines, our philosophy was that only the three main rulebooks—the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual, were the "CORE" rulebooks. Why? Because not only could we assume that every GM owned those books, but they were in the SRD, which meant that even if a GM didn't own the books, he could get to the rules for free by looking at one of countless online resources, from the official WotC SRD to websites like d20srd.org. Very few of the other books WotC produced were open content, and thus the only way to get to those books was to buy the books, and so we didn't assume they were core books. Furthermore, WotC produced a HUGE amount of hardcover supplements... sometimes more than one a month... and thus it was ridiculous to assume all gamers could keep up with that very aggressive release schedule.

We're in uncharted territory still with Pathifnder. Unlike the WotC model, we're keeping all of the rules content of our hardcovers as open content, and thus those rules are a LOT easier to get to and check out, since they're all free online. Furthermore, we're only doing 3 or so hardcovers a year. That's a small fraction of the books WotC put out in a year for 3rd edition. The combination of fewer books and having their rules content be open and, essentially, free, means that we're a LOT more comfortable relaxing as to what we're completely reprinting in adventures and supplements. This is pretty liberating for us, since not having to fully reprint all the rules for a witch or for an umbral dragon or whatever gives us more room to use that space for actual NEW content.

Despite this... you really DON'T need anything but the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary to play the game. Furthermore... since we use the word "CORE" in the title of our core rulebook... saying that othter books that don't have the word "CORE" in their titles are core rulebooks would be even MORE confusing.

So as a result, we're taking a less hands-on approach. Honestly... the only one who should be able to decide what is and isn't "Core" for any game is that game's GM.


James Jacobs wrote:
Despite this... you really DON'T need anything but the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary to play the game. Furthermore... since we use the word "CORE" in the title of our core rulebook... saying that othter books that don't have the word "CORE" in their titles are core rulebooks would be even MORE confusing.

But doesn't this situation already exist in the form of the Bestiary (explicitly core, but doesn't have "core" in the title)?

Also, I'd argue that if you want to use the Adventure Path, you really need the APG (in one form or another). If I pick up Carrion Crown, which books do I need to run it? That's the concept of core that really matters.

Dark Archive

none because the PRD is up for free.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

bugleyman wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Despite this... you really DON'T need anything but the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary to play the game. Furthermore... since we use the word "CORE" in the title of our core rulebook... saying that othter books that don't have the word "CORE" in their titles are core rulebooks would be even MORE confusing.

But doesn't this situation already exist in the form of the Bestiary (explicitly core, but doesn't have "core" in the title)?

Also, I'd argue that if you want to use the Adventure Path, you really need the APG (in one form or another). If I pick up Carrion Crown, which books do I need to run it? That's the concept of core that really matters.

For Carrion Crown, you'll want the Core Rulebook, Bestiary 1, Bestiary 2, GameMastery Guide, and the Advanced Player's Guide.

Although at the game table, you'll likely be able to get away with only having the Core Rulebook and the 2 Bestiaries handy for most of it.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
none because the PRD is up for free.

*sigh* Yes, I get it. But that's beside the point. Why? Because Paizo is a print company. That's where they make their money. For the sake of argument, assume someone wants books. Or they don't have Internet access. Or whatever.

My point is that: 1. The concept of core explicitly exists, and 2. The most functional definition of "core" I can come up with is this: Which books do I need to use this product?


James Jacobs wrote:

For Carrion Crown, you'll want the Core Rulebook, Bestiary 1, Bestiary 2, GameMastery Guide, and the Advanced Player's Guide.

Although at the game table, you'll likely be able to get away with only having the Core Rulebook and the 2 Bestiaries handy for most of it.

James, I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer that question (even though it was rhetorical).

It still seems to me that "core" is conceptually vague, a situation I'd like to see remedied. However, it seems I'm either not getting my point across or folks simply don't agree. Either one is fine. :)


bugleyman,

I understand what you are saying and what is needed is a descriptive word that is in between core and optional. To me, the one or two books needed to make a character and run a game are the core books, no matter the game system. Next are the additional main books that contain more spells or additional base classes or basically anything that the publisher feels should not need approval from the GM for a player to use. Third are all the books labeled as optional by the publisher or those from 3PPs.

Also, I think "Core" can sound vague and confusing because that is what they are called in the PFS "core assumption" material. I think if that had never been done or if that phrase were changed, maybe we would be less confused by what is core and what is not.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Enevhar Aldarion wrote:

bugleyman,

I understand what you are saying and what is needed is a descriptive word that is in between core and optional. To me, the one or two books needed to make a character and run a game are the core books, no matter the game system. Next are the additional main books that contain more spells or additional base classes or basically anything that the publisher feels should not need approval from the GM for a player to use. Third are all the books labeled as optional by the publisher or those from 3PPs.

Also, I think "Core" can sound vague and confusing because that is what they are called in the PFS "core assumption" material. I think if that had never been done or if that phrase were changed, maybe we would be less confused by what is core and what is not.

"Recommended"? Nice to have, definitely will enhance the use of the adventure, but not (absolutely) vital, especially if one has access to the PRD?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

If we see a flood of AP subs cancellations due to "Core Violation", yeah, sure, but I don't see it happening as of now.

Dark Archive

Gorbacz wrote:

Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

If we see a flood of AP subs cancellations due to "Core Violation", yeah, sure, but I don't see it happening as of now.

I'm a RPG subscriber, so I have all the books anyway. So I don't care.

However, in the extremely unlikely event that Paizo brought out (say) Ultimate Magic 2 and I hated it and refused to buy it, and then Paizo plastered UM2 material all over their next AP, then it would become an issue.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
amethal wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:

Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

If we see a flood of AP subs cancellations due to "Core Violation", yeah, sure, but I don't see it happening as of now.

I'm a RPG subscriber, so I have all the books anyway. So I don't care.

However, in the extremely unlikely event that Paizo brought out (say) Ultimate Magic 2 and I hated it and refused to buy it, and then Paizo plastered UM2 material all over their next AP, then it would become an issue.

Yeah, but given that according to what is known the Ultimate Combat will be the last "generic splatbook" in the RPG line, with el weirdo stuff like epic rules and monsters-as-PCs books next, so I doubt that we will have an over-saturation of material anyway.


James Jacobs wrote:
...specific spellcaster schools in the Inner Sea region, and so on.

Oooo...did The Twilight Academy (Galduria in Varisia) make the cut?

Dark Archive

I find the idea of two different books for "generic rules" and "setting specific fluff/crunch" a great way to go.


Gorbacz wrote:
Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

I'd submit that someone who picks up an AP volume from the shelf, and with no prior knowledge of Paizo, asks "Cool! Which books do I need to play this?" cares very much.

But since that doesn't describe you, it can't be important...right?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Gorbacz wrote:
Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

I care for one, and have fought this battle before.

I'm just more resigned than Bugley. (Well that and the need to shower after realizing we agree on something) ;-)


Matthew Morris wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Bugley, the real question is, who cares apart from you and Seeker?

I care for one, and have fought this battle before.

I'm just more resigned than Bugley. (Well that and the need to shower after realizing we agree on something) ;-)

Come to the dark side -- we don't bathe. :)


I doubt it, but I will ask anyway, will there be in any new magic items in this book?

Dark Archive

bugleyman wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
none because the PRD is up for free.

*sigh* Yes, I get it. But that's beside the point. Why? Because Paizo is a print company. That's where they make their money. For the sake of argument, assume someone wants books. Or they don't have Internet access. Or whatever.

My point is that: 1. The concept of core explicitly exists, and 2. The most functional definition of "core" I can come up with is this: Which books do I need to use this product?

Well I was actually being serious. In that if you could ask on the forum what you needed, that you can get it all free at PRD. I wasn't trying to be snarky about it. Now that your position is more clear and I see what your asking.

1) Core as a concept does indeed exist, I agree.
2) From what I gather and this is purely my own point of view. To me Paizo has core and then recommend. Core is always used in every adventure, AP etc they make. They are then sprinkled with optional stuff, but that optional stuff constantly changes.

So my guess is
Core = PFRPG book, Bestiary 1, GM Guide
Those two seem to always be used no matter what. While
Optional = Bestiary 2, APG etc
While most products have some of them in it, it is different and some parts of those books still have not shown up.

Anyways that's my take on the whole core issue for Paizo.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

While I understand bugleyman's point, I don't really see a random person picking up an Adventure Path (especially since it's labeled 1 of 6) and saying "Hey, this looks like a cool game system, I think I'll run this."

It really does vary based on what you're doing. Are you playing PFS? Running a home-brew campaign? Running a module? Running an Adventure Path?"

Each one of those assumes different books. I think the whole concept of defining the "core books" fails to be helpful in any real sense of the word, given the number of contexts it could be used under.

Probably the best Paizo can do is what they have done - print a blurb in the AP saying where the rules can be found.

In my mind, the only unfortunate part of the whole thing is the humongo tome that is the core rulebook. I understand *why* it was released as one book instead of a player/GM pair of books, but that means anyone who's just a player has no option but to get the GM material as well.

Obviously a moot point at this time :)

Dark Archive

Dragon78 wrote:
I doubt it, but I will ask anyway, will there be in any new magic items in this book?

Don't quote me on this. But I think it was said their would be a few Golarion specific magic items in this book. Though I might be thinking of a different product.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

mempter wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
...specific spellcaster schools in the Inner Sea region, and so on.
Oooo...did The Twilight Academy (Galduria in Varisia) make the cut?

The "cut" has yet to happen, since development for the book has not yet begun.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I doubt it, but I will ask anyway, will there be in any new magic items in this book?
Don't quote me on this. But I think it was said their would be a few Golarion specific magic items in this book. Though I might be thinking of a different product.

Nope; not really any new magic items in this book.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Dragon78 wrote:
I doubt it, but I will ask anyway, will there be in any new magic items in this book?
Don't quote me on this. But I think it was said their would be a few Golarion specific magic items in this book. Though I might be thinking of a different product.
Nope; not really any new magic items in this book.

Likely a different one I was thinking of. You guys make so many good ones, i often get confused what is in what.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

I removed a handful of posts that were taking things too personally and generally not actually contributing to the discussion. Replies to these posts were also removed.


couple of things:

1) this book is already purchased, Paizo just wont get the money till later, lol

2) regarding the whole setting vs non-setting stuff, i LOVE both. just did a quick count and about 1/3 of my D&D library of both 3.5 and Pathfinder is setting specific. I have most of the books from FR and Eberron and am slowly but surely working on getting as many for Golarion as well.

3) in response to the "Core" debate: really people? we're arguing over which word best describes the books you need to play Pathfinder?

to me, the only book that is "Core" is the PFRPG Rulebook, aka the tome of death(cuz u easily kill somebody with it...just sayin). Everything else is optional, as a GM could create n run monsters himself, players can create their own PrCs, archtypes, etc and one could easily make their own world.

the PFRPG rulebook has all the basic info to create base characters and play the game, without needing to ever branch out into another book. That to me is "Core"


"Core" is what you need to play the game: the Core Rulebook and Bestiary. "Optional" is everything else. "Common" is what the Adventure Paths assume: the Core Rulebook, GameMastery Guide, Advanced Player's Guide, and Bestiary 1 & 2. "Discretionary" is everything else.

In the same vein, a "threat" is what you do to a square when you're holding a weapon that could make an attack of opportunity (if you had one) into it, which is generally a non-whip melee weapon. An attack roll that gives a chance to confirm a critical hit is a "potential" crit.

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. <nods wisely>


Well, I for one, am keen on seeing "Inner Sea Combat" - that is the non-magical version of "Inner Sea Magic".

And if it makes a difference, I'll be happy with 8 pages of spells or less. The more crunch is on the classes/archetypes/feats the better.


Gorbacz wrote:
Yeah, but given that according to what is known the Ultimate Combat will be the last "generic splatbook" in the RPG line, with el weirdo stuff like epic rules and monsters-as-PCs books next, so I doubt that we will have an over-saturation of material anyway.

Is this confirmed? I'm not keen on psionics, epics and monsters-as-PCs. (To that end, I'm not sure what some people are clamoring for: an additional sub-system to handle a different type of psionic-magic? I rather have more variants/archetypes of existing things. I have no trouble with calling mage armor "mind over matter", so my psions are already making Golarion a better place.)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
LoreKeeper wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Yeah, but given that according to what is known the Ultimate Combat will be the last "generic splatbook" in the RPG line, with el weirdo stuff like epic rules and monsters-as-PCs books next, so I doubt that we will have an over-saturation of material anyway.

Is this confirmed? I'm not keen on psionics, epics and monsters-as-PCs. (To that end, I'm not sure what some people are clamoring for: an additional sub-system to handle a different type of psionic-magic? I rather have more variants/archetypes of existing things. I have no trouble with calling mage armor "mind over matter", so my psions are already making Golarion a better place.)

It seems that all three topics (pisonics, epics, monsters PCs) have a steady following, so I think that books on those are inevitable.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

Gorbacz wrote:
It seems that all three topics (pisonics, epics, monsters PCs) have a steady following, so I think that books on those are inevitable.

Though for some of us GMs, it's actually monster NPCs that we're looking for. The players at my table will probably never play characters that have monstrous races.

Other GM's mileage may vary :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

We haven't confirmed anything about Ultimate Combat being the last player option hardcover we'll ever do... but I can say this: I'm eager to move on to other topics for hardcovers.

51 to 100 of 285 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Magic (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.