Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL)

3.10/5 (based on 48 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $44.99

Add PDF $9.99 $7.49

Add Non-Mint $39.99 $29.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Raise your character to the pinnacle of magical might with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic! Within this book, secrets arcane and divine lie ready to burst into life at the hands of all the spellcasting classes in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. In addition to the brand-new magus class—a master of both arcane magic and martial prowess—you'll also find a whole new system for spellcasting, rules for spell duels and other magical specialities, and pages upon pages of new spells, feats, and more. Because when it comes to magic, why settle for less than absolute power?

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. This imaginitive tabletop game builds on more than 10 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic includes:

  • The magus, a new base class combining deadly arcane magic with the skills and weapons of a trained warrior.
  • Words of power, an innovative and flexible new spellcasting system.
  • New options for dedicated casters, such as alchemist discoveries, alternative uses for channeled energy, druid companions, sorcerer bloodlines, eidolon abilities, witch hexes, and oracle mysteries.
  • Additional feats and magical abilities for martially oriented casters, including monk ki tricks, inquisitor archetypes, and ranger traps.
  • New magical conditions called spellblihgts, as well as systems for crafting constructs, binding outsiders, and spell-dueling.
  • More than 100 new spells, plus detailed guidelines for designing your own.
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-299-9

Downloads

Looking for more? Check out the Resources and Free Downloads available for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Errata
Last Updated - 03/30/2012

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1117


See Also:

41 to 45 of 49 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.10/5 (based on 48 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Excellent product

4/5

Had this book for a few days now and it is an excellent book although admitadly some things are more situational than others.


I feel... robbed.

1/5

Wow. I mean wow. This book is all about not being innovative. Magus- A+. Good work Paizo. Everything else is pretty terrible. For every gem they printed in the book, there are 3 more lumps of coal right around the corner.
The class archetypes seem to be all about allowing every class to fulfill every role.
The entire chapter about binding outsiders, spell duels, spell building, modifying constructs etc is situational at best. Wasted space on pre-generated spellbooks should have been a $2 release for printing purposes, not 6-8 pages in a manual size book.
Feats- About the only ones worth while are the ones that have "extra"" in the title.
Words of power. Let me just say that right from the beginning I thought Words of power was a clunky un-needed system. So I skipped that section and didn't let it raise or lower my opinion of the book. I realize that this section, specifically, is more of a "Not my cup of tea" area and others might find genuine enjoyment out of the system.
Spells. Sigh. Everyone always wants more spells. More options. Well- there comes a point when generating more spells is just bad. The use and need of them becomes exponentially worse. As such the quality of a spell is also worse. Spells are something that should be generated because you GENUINELY have an innovative idea. The spells in this book were not that. They were page fillers, and as such, there really isn't much worth while.
All in all, this book was a dropped ball. They could have generated the Magus class and alternate features and sold it for $10 soft cover or $5 PDF and they probably would have made more profit and had a product that was easily 200% higher in quality.


Only good enough for the PDF

3/5

Chapter 1: Spellcasters

The first chapter is also the best. The Magus is nice and there are several very interesting archetypes here. I wish the Ranger had got a bit more of a generous treatment as I think the game could benefit from a class midway between Druid and Ranger but I'll live. If the whole book was of this quality, this book would get 5 stars easily.

Chapter 2: Mastering Magic

But, alas, the whole book is not of the same quality. This chapter is almost entirely horrible. The last section, designing spells, is phenomenal and much needed. Everything else is so very niche that feel like it deserved its own book, a book for people that need to bind outsiders, create and control constructs, and spell duel. Plus, seven pages devoted to premade spell books. How do you combine such advanced stuff and such beginners stuff into one chapter?

Chapter 3: Feats

Pretty good chapter. Paizo took an interesting tack here and made nearly all the feats in here related to class features. There are ways to improve Lay on Hands, Stern Gaze, Familiars, Eidolons, Bloodlines, Hexes and everything else. It's pretty neat. Seems a sort of logical continuation of the archetypes, allowing focus on certain aspects of a character.

Chapter 4: Words

Hrm. I'm not a huge fan of the system. It feels clunky and I'm not sure I could see myself using it, especially when there's a pretty good section on creating/researching new spells.

Chapter 5: Spells

A distressing mix of really niche stuff and really bad stuff with a few gems in there. Some of the stuff is wonderfully flavorful like Arboreal Hammer. Some of the stuff is just terrible like Cold Ice Strike. Cold Ice Strike is just a quickened Cone of Cold but only one level higher. Does it have an expensive material component to make up for this unbalanced blasphemy? No one knows because they forgot to include the component line. And there a number of other spells missing that line, too. That's some really basic information to not include. And then there are spells like Blood Crow Strike and Steal Ki which seem to only exist for the Qinggong Monk.

I was hoping for a bit more variety in the touch spell department, especially in the book in which the Magus was introduced. I was also hoping for a bit more offensive goodies for the Cleric/Oracle but was mostly disappointed.






41 to 45 of 49 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
401 to 450 of 996 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Edgar Lamoureux wrote:

I have only two more questions. Does the Reanimator Archetype replace bombs, and if so, with what?

Edit: The only reason I ask is because of some fluff that would work better for a Kingmaker character of mine. However, bombs are integral to my character's backstory, so if they are replaced, I will not even ask if I may update my character.

No it doesn't replace bombs but they do get less effective bombs.

Dark Archive

Razz wrote:
Oh sexy, Dark Mistress, I beseech thee one question of mine: are there prestige classes? If so, what are they?

Sorry no. Just archetypes and other options.

Dark Archive

LoreKeeper wrote:

Have you found a favorite feat that you just know will become a staple for your characters?

Not yet, i have only skimmed the feat section. That will likely be the last section I read.

The Exchange

Sebastian wrote:
Tumor familiars are disturbing. They effectively allow an alchemist to have a familiar, but it lives in the alcemist's body when not in use...

That actually works incredibly well with my character. Radiation poisoning does strange, terrifying things. :P

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

I didn't see any "law" bloodlines. There are some based on creatures, but they are largely Bestiary I creatures, I think. There is a musical bloodline.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Tumor familiars are disturbing. They effectively allow an alchemist to have a familiar, but it lives in the alcemist's body when not in use...
That actually works incredibly well with my character. Radiation poisoning does strange, terrifying things. :P

I think you'll find a lot to like in this book then. There are a number of new alchemist discoveries that are pretty creepy in an 80's horror movie/flesh melting/toxic avenger kinda way.

Dark Archive

Hekate wrote:
I cannot wait to see what the new witch patrons are, as well as new familiar options. Anyone care to reveal a few, just to keep me satisfied until I can get the book?

There is 14 new patrons. Moon, Insanity, Stars, Spirits a few examples. There is 12 new familiars, one of the blogs I think listed all the new familiars.

The Exchange

Sebastian wrote:
Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Tumor familiars are disturbing. They effectively allow an alchemist to have a familiar, but it lives in the alcemist's body when not in use...
That actually works incredibly well with my character. Radiation poisoning does strange, terrifying things. :P
I think you'll find a lot to like in this book then. There are a number of new alchemist discoveries that are pretty creepy in an 80's horror movie/flesh melting/toxic avenger kinda way.

This is fantastic news. This could actually be just what I'm looking for. Numeria can really put an elf through his paces over the years. Any number of terrible afflictions can be turned to good use when you're an Alchemist, though. :P

Dark Archive

I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)


Dark_Mistress wrote:
Hekate wrote:
I cannot wait to see what the new witch patrons are, as well as new familiar options. Anyone care to reveal a few, just to keep me satisfied until I can get the book?
There is 14 new patrons. Moon, Insanity, Stars, Spirits a few examples. There is 12 new familiars, one of the blogs I think listed all the new familiars.

Ah, thank you very much for the patron examples. Fourteen, fantastic! Also, I found the list of familiars -- thanks for mentioning it.

The Exchange

Dark_Mistress wrote:
I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)

You vile temptress. I am sure you could corrupt the very Herald of Sarenrae. You doth tempt us much with faint whisperings of undisclosed secrets. Although I am not encouraging you, per se, I would not turn a deaf ear to those words which leak from the Fount of Knowledge. :P


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well it's 8 pm here and I still don't have mine. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Sigh.

Dark Archive

Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)
You vile temptress. I am sure you could corrupt the very Herald of Sarenrae. You doth tempt us much with faint whisperings of undisclosed secrets. Although I am not encouraging you, per se, I would not turn a deaf ear to those words which leak from the Fount of Knowledge. :P

It's in the job description. :)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)

Please do :), oh kind and terrifing Mistress.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What does the Internal Alchemist do? It sounds like it is inspired by Asian myths of alchemists. Does he use ki?

The Exchange

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)
You vile temptress. I am sure you could corrupt the very Herald of Sarenrae. You doth tempt us much with faint whisperings of undisclosed secrets. Although I am not encouraging you, per se, I would not turn a deaf ear to those words which leak from the Fount of Knowledge. :P
It's in the job description. :)

Fair enough. You must be very good at your job, to sway the minds of so many mortals at the drop of a hat.

The Exchange

Ashanderai wrote:
What does the Internal Alchemist do? It sounds like it is inspired by Asian myths of alchemists. Does he use ki?

I was also wondering about this, although I feel as though I have asked more questions than I would have normally allotted myself.

Dark Archive

Lazaro wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
I guess I shouldn't even mention, spellblights(magical flaws), rules for spell duals, or the new rules to build and or modify constructs. :)
Please do :), oh kind and terrifing Mistress.

Because you asked so nicely to not mention those things I won't. ;p

Dark Archive

Ashanderai wrote:
What does the Internal Alchemist do? It sounds like it is inspired by Asian myths of alchemists. Does he use ki?

They can take the extra ki feat. They are basically alchemist who work on having better bodies more or less.

The Exchange

I appear to have ruined things for the rest. With my work having been accomplished, I must away.

Just kidding, I am much too ensconced in this discussion to leave.

Silver Crusade

Still waiting on my email...:(

The Exchange

brent norton wrote:
Still waiting on my email...:(

Still waiting for the 18th...:(

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Any New Animal Companions?


Generic Villain wrote:
Well it's 8 pm here and I still don't have mine. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Sigh.

It is not 8pm Paizo time.

Dark Archive

Dragnmoon wrote:
Any New Animal Companions?

Does the 10 vermin ones count? Or the brood summoner who has a lot of smaller eidolon's?

The Exchange

ntin wrote:
Generic Villain wrote:
Well it's 8 pm here and I still don't have mine. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Sigh.
It is not 8pm Paizo time.

Yeah, but it's 5 pm. End of the business day.

The Exchange

No need to go into any specific details, but would someone kindly describe the "toxic avenger-esque" discoveries? All I really need is a name for each. From that I should be able to extrapolate the general use for each.

Dark Archive

Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
No need to go into any specific details, but would someone kindly describe the "toxic avenger-esque" discoveries? All I really need is a name for each. From that I should be able to extrapolate the general use for each.

Tentacle, vestigial arm, tumor familiar, to name some that stand out.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Razz wrote:
Are there PrC in the book?

Nope.

The Exchange

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Edgar Lamoureux wrote:
No need to go into any specific details, but would someone kindly describe the "toxic avenger-esque" discoveries? All I really need is a name for each. From that I should be able to extrapolate the general use for each.
Tentacle, vestigial arm, tumor familiar, to name some that stand out.

All are viable discoveries for my Kingmaker character, well supported by fluff. That's good.


Dark_Mistress wrote:
Razz wrote:
Oh sexy, Dark Mistress, I beseech thee one question of mine: are there prestige classes? If so, what are they?
Sorry no. Just archetypes and other options.

Ugh, lame. My biggest pet peeve with Paizo lately; the lack of prestige classes. Archetypes are ok, but I'm not ok with replacing so many abilities for a theme. Prestige classes are a good alternative to those who either want to delve a little, midway, or all of it and it won't replace any class abilities in the process, just either make them longer to get to, weaker, or not get them at all (assuming a game stops at 20th level).

Well, I can at least look forward to the other goodies.

The Exchange

Well, I must away. I shall return, however. See ya'll tomorrow.


Is there really a Quicken Channel feat? How does it work? I assume the same as Quicken Turning from 3.5?

Are their feats similiar to WotC's Divine feats? As in, use a Channel Energy for some other benefit?

Any Bardic Music feats?

Is there a sidebar that gives guidelines on adding new spells to the Alchemist, Inquisitor, Magus, Summoner, and Witch spell lists? They promised that long ago.


Darn no "law" bloodline.

A musical bloodline..interesting.

Mostly creatures from beastairy I ...Weird.. oh well I was hoping for an Aeon, Daemon, Qlippoth or countless other possibilities from beastairy II.

Stars and moon patrons for witches...I like the sound of that.

Do they have a oracle mystery related to art, music, dance, artifice, crafting, wood, illusion, charm, love or metal?


Dragon78 wrote:

Darn no "law" bloodline.

You'd figure an Axiomatic and an Anarchic bloodline would've been a no-brainer, but alas! Those two alignment axes once again get the shaft. (Hint at the suggestion they do a Law vs Chaos adventure path sometime in the near future)

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

No one said there wasn't an anarchic bloodline in UM...


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Can the qinggong monk archetype be combined with any of the APG archetypes?

What does the clone master do? It sounds self-explainable, but it might not be. Is it growing clones in vats or do they spring up instantly on the battlefield? Can you do different things with them? Can you make them look like other characters or monsters?

Does the Beastbonded Witch get an animal companion instead of a familiar? If not, why is she called that?

Is it the Synthesist that is the "Guyver" archetype? If not, which one is it?

Can the Evolutionary "evolve" his eidolon during battle on the fly without having to level up?

Does the Broodmaster create multiple "lesser" eidolons or does he get rid of the eidolon to focus on summoned monsters?

Thanks for answering our questions guys. I'll try to return the favor someday if I ever receive a PDF earlier than the rest of you.


Sebastian wrote:
No one said there wasn't an anarchic bloodline in UM...

Eh? Well, that makes it even more weird NOT to have the law version in it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Sebastian wrote:
No one said there wasn't an anarchic bloodline in UM...

Which is weird considering there already is one in the APG - the protean bloodline.

I can only hope my subscription copies come soon. Is everyone else getting them because they live west coast? Or did they send out review copies? Since our Dark Mistress is the paragon of all reviewers?

My jealousy knows no bounds. Although it's probably for the best, considering I still have 28 papers to grade and finals after that.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I havne't delved deeply into it, just noticed that there is an Anarchic bloodline. I had the same reaction regarding the lack of an Axiomatic bloodline. I think it's because the Anarchic bloodline is part of a sorcerer archetype with multiple, mutated bloodlines. Maybe law just doesn't fit there...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Sebastian wrote:
No one said there wasn't an anarchic bloodline in UM...

I think the Protean bloodline has that position covered pretty nicely. ;)

Dark Archive

Ashanderai wrote:

Can the qinggong monk archetype be combined with any of the APG archetypes?

What does the clone master do? It sounds self-explainable, but it might not be. Is it growing clones in vats or do they spring up instantly on the battlefield? Can you do different things with them? Can you make them look like other characters or monsters?

Does the Beastbonded Witch get an animal companion instead of a familiar? If not, why is she called that?

Is it the Synthesist that is the "Guyver" archetype? If not, which one is it?

Can the Evolutionary "evolve" his eidolon during battle on the fly without having to level up?

Does the Broodmaster create multiple "lesser" eidolons or does he get rid of the eidolon to focus on summoned monsters?

Thanks for answering our questions guys. I'll try to return the favor someday if I ever receive a PDF earlier than the rest of you.

1) Not sure, short of looking at all the other archetypes I wouldn't know.

2) More or less. He can grow a clone of himself to awaken if he dies and some other stuff.

3) No, she has a closer tie to her familiar able to power it up some and some other stuff.

4) Yes.

5) No, but he can do it daily.

6) More than one eidolons.

Dark Archive

Azazyll wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
No one said there wasn't an anarchic bloodline in UM...

Which is weird considering there already is one in the APG - the protean bloodline.

I can only hope my subscription copies come soon. Is everyone else getting them because they live west coast? Or did they send out review copies? Since our Dark Mistress is the paragon of all reviewers?

My jealousy knows no bounds. Although it's probably for the best, considering I still have 28 papers to grade and finals after that.

It is based on which group you are in. They do the largest group first. Number of people with the same order. As far as I can tell it is random with in that group who gets it first. I didn't get a review copy. This is just part of my subscription.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Can the qinggong monk archetype be combined with any of the APG archetypes?

1) Not sure, short of looking at all the other archetypes I wouldn't know.

I guess a better question would be, "What abilities does he lose from the base monk class to take on the qinggong archetype?"

Thanks for taking time to answer, Dark Mistress.


What are the new cleric archetype like? Are there any new (sub)domains?

Dark Archive

Ashanderai wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Can the qinggong monk archetype be combined with any of the APG archetypes?

1) Not sure, short of looking at all the other archetypes I wouldn't know.

I guess a better question would be, "What abilities does he lose from the base monk class to take on the qinggong archetype?"

Thanks for taking time to answer, Dark Mistress.

slow fall

high jump
wholeness of body
diamond body
abundant step
diamond soul
quivering palm
timeless body
tongue of the sun and moon
empty body
perfect self

Dark Archive

The Forgotten wrote:
What are the new cleric archetype like? Are there any new (sub)domains?

Cloistered

Separatist
Theologian
Undead Lord

No no new cleric domains anyways. :)


Dark_Mistress wrote:
The Forgotten wrote:
What are the new cleric archetype like? Are there any new (sub)domains?

Cloistered

Separatist
Theologian
Undead Lord

No no new cleric domains anyways. :)

Can you give me ome idea what they do?

Dark Archive

Cloistered - loses some armor, weapons and domain, to gain some lores and knowledge based abilities.
Separatist - splinter clerics of the faith, their views on their god is outside the main stream. They lose the favored weapon but the second domain can be anything.
Theologian - loses one domain but becomes better with the other.
Undead Lord - bonuses with the undead.

Guess I shouldn't mention the variant Channeling either. :)

The Exchange

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
Can the qinggong monk archetype be combined with any of the APG archetypes?

1) Not sure, short of looking at all the other archetypes I wouldn't know.

I guess a better question would be, "What abilities does he lose from the base monk class to take on the qinggong archetype?"

Thanks for taking time to answer, Dark Mistress.

slow fall

high jump
wholeness of body
diamond body
abundant step
diamond soul
quivering palm
timeless body
tongue of the sun and moon
empty body
perfect self

So, it doesn't look it can work with the other archetypes. Oh well.

401 to 450 of 996 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.